homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bible, what does it mean to you?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Bible, what does it mean to you?
Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

- Posted      Profile for Frankenstein   Email Frankenstein   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Both the Orthodox (Greek and Russian), and the Church of Rome see the Bible as part of the Christian Tradition.
When Scotland saw fit to separate itself from Rome by Act of Parliament in 1560, they were left with only the Bible to turn to. So as a Presbyterian Minister friend of mine put it, "If it is not in the Bible, I do not accept it."
It was inevitable, having rejected the tradition present at the time, they were left with the Bible.
the break with Rome in England is best left with the historians.

--------------------
It is better to travel in hope than to arrive?

Posts: 267 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see the Bible as the written Word of God. I think that this is the official position of every protestant denomination.

But wait! Should we really be beating this topic?

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To clarify, what are we discussing here? And yes, if it's biblical inerrancy, great. We have a forum for that.

Gwai,
Purgatory Host

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

- Posted      Profile for Frankenstein   Email Frankenstein   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
I see the Bible as the written Word of God. I think that this is the official position of every protestant denomination.

But wait! Should we really be beating this topic?

I very much doubt that this is "the official position of every protestant denomination."
This is not the opinion of some who visit this website.
The Bible is said to be inerrant, I am sure that you know that one part of the Bible seems to contradict another.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That cross-post sounds like an answer. Grab onto a rail, this ship is moving.
Gwai,
Purgatory Host

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Gwai,
Purgatory Host

--------------------

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
Gwai,
Purgatory Host

I would beg to differ.
Some would see the Bible as the literal truth.
The Universe was created in six days etc.
Others would tell you that Genesis etc is allegorical.
The differences in the Gospels is because these were written by human beings who made mistakes in their accounts, therefore not so inerrant.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are more Orthodox than Greeks and Russians.

The Reformation took place in other locations as well as Scotland.

Some Presbyterians might have thought that all they were left with was the Bible but they weren't. They had the Bible and small tradition ... a diluted or truncated version, if you like, of Big T Tradition.

Nobody but nobody just has the Bible.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nobody, that's NOBODY believes that the Bible is inerrant even if they say they do. Nobody on SOF does at all.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are more Orthodox than Greeks and Russians.

The Reformation took place in other locations as well as Scotland.

Some Presbyterians might have thought that all they were left with was the Bible but they weren't. They had the Bible and small tradition ... a diluted or truncated version, if you like, of Big T Tradition.

Nobody but nobody just has the Bible.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hosting

Frankenstein, you already have a thread open on this board concerning inerrancy. Please stop opening new ones elsewhere on the boards. Please confine your posts on inerrancy to your current open thread - Bible, the word of God and make clear to other posters exactly what you want to discuss with them.

Thanks,
Louise

Dead Horses host

hosting off

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016