homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Very last Downton Abbey- predictions

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Very last Downton Abbey- predictions
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It gets wrapped up on Christmas Day. I'm hoping to see Edith finally get some luck. Maybe Michael Gregson didn't get killed but has been working in some top secret undercover role and now reappears to meet his daughter and marry Edith.

I was disappointed with the way the murder of Green was finally resolved. However we know Bates is an accomplished forger and could have forged the letter which got him off the hook after his his first wife's death, so I'm predicting a surprise re-opening of that case and Bates' arrest.

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of potential romantic pairings off - most importantly I agree Edith has got to find happiness, whether with a resurrected Michael Gregson or Bertie. To marry Bertie would be one in the eye for Mary as Edith would outrank her!

Otherwise, Isobel with Lord Merton, Daisy with Andy, Molesley with Baxter, even Mrs Patmore with Mr Mason!

And of course as it's Christmas, a baby boy must be born to the Bates!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say that Sparrow has just about covered it.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we are to see the return of Michael Gregson, then we certainly need to see the return of O'Brien and her bar of soap. We also want 'Melty-face' Patrick to come back to inherit the estate and so disinherit Scary Mary and her fast husband.

My real wish would be for the tenants and estate workers to revolt, hanging Tom from the battlements as a traitor to the working class and barricading the rest of the family in the library as the house burns down around them [Mad] [Mad]

Lady Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham, would of course be at the head of the mob, having persuaded them that she is on their side. One way or another, she would get her revenge on Cora and Isobel for the hospital coup [Devil]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
... We also want 'Melty-face' Patrick to come back to inherit the estate .......

Then he could marry Edith - that would work.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
I was disappointed with the way the murder of Green was finally resolved.

I missed that bit. Who actually did do it?
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

The Green murder was neatly resolved by someone confessing and, after both Bates's being on bail for some time, by a witness coming forward and thereby clearing them of all suspicion. Considering Bates' dodgy past and all the circumstantial evidence it was just too easy as a way out.

I've never liked Bates.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why not?

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Green murder was neatly resolved by someone confessing and, after both Bates's being on bail for some time, by a witness coming forward and thereby clearing them of all suspicion. Considering Bates' dodgy past and all the circumstantial evidence it was just too easy as a way out.

I've never liked Bates.

Me neither. I always thought he was creepy and charmless, certainly nothing there to attract a girl like Anna.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Green murder was neatly resolved by someone confessing and, after both Bates's being on bail for some time, by a witness coming forward and thereby clearing them of all suspicion.

Thanks for that. Not sure how convincing that would have been really - I still think he did it.

quote:
I've never liked Bates.
No, me neither. I agree with Sparrow, not sure what Anna saw in him.
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

Oo, no, it can't be a boy! Downton is far too genteel to have Master Bates. [Biased]

I hope Edith and Tom find love (I had high hopes of Tom and Mary but she's married some nondescript bloke whose name I can't remember) and I hope the same for Thomas, although in that day and age I fear it is not very likely. [Frown]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I hope the same for Thomas, although in that day and age I fear it is not very likely. [Frown]

I don't imagine Spratt is his type. [Razz]

[Miss Amanda will get her wrap.]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, the interesting question is about the kitchen staff.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

10 minutes to go. Final predictions:

Mr Mason dies and leaves everything to Daisy.

Molesley becomes a full-time teacher at the village school and a house goes with the job. He and Miss Baxter announce their betrothal.

Carson faces retirement. He and his wife 'Mrs Hughes' decide to call each other by their first names.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Lady Violet will kick the bucket leaving Spratt free to take over as butler at Downton when Carson retires.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

My prediction was going to be that somebody would die. I just couldn't decide between Carson having a heart attack during one of Lord Grantham's dinners, Lady Mary in a car crash, Lady Violet suddenly shuffling off the mortal coil, or someone dropping dead at a wedding/dying in childbirth.

Have to say I'm going to going to miss Downton. You have to stop somewhere, of course, and 1926 is a good place to stop, but I'd still have liked to know how it went in the 1930s and the run-up to the next war.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Have to say I'm going to going to miss Downton. You have to stop somewhere, of course, and 1926 is a good place to stop, but I'd still have liked to know how it went in the 1930s and the run-up to the next war.

I believe there is a rumour that they might be making a movie?

--------------------

Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:

Oo, no, it can't be a boy! Downton is far too genteel to have Master Bates. [Biased]
I got that wrong, then! [Big Grin]

But it was all Most Satisfactory. Oh, yes. [Smile]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Agreed.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have not watched the last series, so I was slightly out of sync (I watched a couple of series, so I knew most of the long-running stories). I thought it was a good conclusion, because it was the end of the original era, and a move onto another era. There was a risk they would burn the house down or something, but it wasn't a "kill everyone" finish.

I am glad that the family are moving on and there is a sense of a new story starting.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ETA: Sorry, I was thinking this was a thread for the start of the very last season in the US. But I'll leave this.

Edith should marry Thomas. They suit each other, and it would legitimize Marigold's situation.

Part of the Abbey will become a hospital. And the family will give the servants shares in the property, and they'll create a very posh little hotel in the Abbey, and everyone will get (comparatively) rich.

[ 04. January 2016, 23:28: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golden Key
It has already been established that Thomas is gay - that happened (if there had been any doubt) in series 3.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I think she might have Tom Branson in mind.
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather hope they don't make a movie. I've got so used to dystopian and dark endings that it was rather refreshing to have this one. And leaving the last word (and what a word) to Maggie Smith was just perfect.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Golden Key
It has already been established that Thomas is gay - that happened (if there had been any doubt) in series 3.

Or do you mean Tom (Branson)? for Edith? That might have worked.

[ 07. January 2016, 15:01: Message edited by: Sparrow ]

--------------------

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely Thomas Barrow is a distant illegitimate scion of the Granthams. Now that he is butler at Downton, members of the family will begin to die mysteriously, one by one . . .

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Talitha
Shipmate
# 5085

- Posted      Profile for Talitha   Email Talitha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad Barrow got to be butler of Downton - it's always been his dream, and now he's reformed enough to deserve it. Also, he has a great bond with young George. (I had been wondering if he'd end up staying on as some kind of tutor for George - having had practice tutoring Andy - but he's not really educated enough, so this is a better outcome.) George will never sack him, even if the estate downsizes to having only one or two servants and handing most of the castle over to the National Trust; so he's got a career for life, and he and George will have the fond I-used-to-dandle-you-on-my-knee relationship that Mary and Carson do now.

Speaking of Mary, though - Henry Talbot? WHY? I mean, I know it would be hard to live up to Matthew, but she could have done better than that. He looks like a teenager, with a gawky too-long neck, and he acts like one too: taking her on "dates" that consist of her watching him doing his hobby which she finds both boring and upsetting; phoning her up late at night after she dumped him and drunkenly begging her to take him back; getting all angry and entitled and yelling at her and making out it's a flaw in her that she doesn't want him. (It isn't me, it's you?)

I really thought the scriptwriting was leading towards them breaking up permanently - with the all-wise Anna being opposed to the match, and of course Mary herself until about half way through the last episode. I think the writers suddenly panicked and realised they didn't have time to introduce anyone better, so she'd have to relent and marry Talbot. I'd have much rather seen her with Charles Blake - she really lit up and came alive when chasing down muddy pigs with him.

Posts: 554 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, the American finale was last Sunday. (And we get a marathon of the last season this weekend!)

--Yes, I did mean Tom Branson as a match for Edith, in my earlier posts. I think they'd be a really good match. Plus he was absolutely ok about Marigold. I don't like the guy Edith married. (I missed the dramatic episode where they broke up, but I'll catch it this weekend.) He did finally get his act together, somewhat, and stand up to his mom. But he didn't seem kind enough nor mature enough for Edith; and I think he came back for his own good, not for hers.

--I think the editing in the finale was too close. They put LOT of scenes into it, and trimmed them a little too closely to make it all fit. I think it was mostly a matter of seconds or a minute, but over and over again. They didn't flow together quite right. I hope there will be a director's cut of the finale available.

--We didn't get to see all the weddings! (pout)

--Weird the way that Lord Merton's family showed their true colors. Isobel was magnificent in getting him away! And Violet was great, too.

--I'm glad Anna finally got a child, as she wanted.

--I was a little afraid that Lord Grantham might have a heart attack and die, given his ongoing health problems. Glad he didn't.

--Sorry Carson developed palsy. Glad he had people to support him, and work out ways to handle it. Great that Barrow took over the main butlering, and that he changed.

--Daisy is in no way mature enough for marriage! But Mrs. Patmore helped kick her in the right direction. And, given that Mrs. P seems headed towards eventual marriage to Daisy's former father-in-law, there's going to be a very interesting household at that farm!

--I never quite liked Mr. Molesly, but I'm glad he got his teaching post.

--The sequence where Lord Grantham changed his mind about Cora's hospital work was great. He can sometimes be selfish, blind, and stupid about things--but he can learn, if someone walks him through it. (As also shown with his disastrous investments, early in the series, and changing his approach to handling the estate.)

--Slightly mixed feelings about Mary's husband. He's capable of standing up to her, and she needs that. But he's focused on being wholly devoted to her, rather than creating a balanced relationship *together*. IMHO, that could be a problem.

--It's been fun to see all the thank-you messages from the cast and creators, throughout the series, and find out that Americans are even more devoted to the series than UK folks. Evidently, no one involved with the series expected that. Hugh Bonneham said something like "the British are used to seeing me around, so it's just one more show to them; but you Americans have to actually *find* it". And it's been fun to see promos for Downton on our *commercial* stations, not just PBS. That's rare.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All in all, as many loose ends were tied up as could fit in an hour-plus special. On the whole, satisfactory.

I was disappointed, though, that Mrs. Patmore never acknowledged that Barrow's interest in Andy was entirely honorable (she heard Andy himself say so during that picnic on the lawn) and that she shouldn't have gone blabbing to Carson about her suspicions.

And I can't help feeling that Carson's palsy will only lead to more bullying of Mrs. Hughes -- if's he's laid up at home not working, he can only be more demanding of her that the plates aren't warm, the sauce isn't correct, the vegetables aren't cooked enough, the silver isn't polished, etc. etc.

And I would have liked to have seen Spratt and Denker reach some sort of truce -- even a romantic interest!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
All in all, as many loose ends were tied up as could fit in an hour-plus special. On the whole, satisfactory.

I was disappointed, though, that Mrs. Patmore never acknowledged that Barrow's interest in Andy was entirely honorable (she heard Andy himself say so during that picnic on the lawn) and that she shouldn't have gone blabbing to Carson about her suspicions.

And I can't help feeling that Carson's palsy will only lead to more bullying of Mrs. Hughes -- if's he's laid up at home not working, he can only be more demanding of her that the plates aren't warm, the sauce isn't correct, the vegetables aren't cooked enough, the silver isn't polished, etc. etc.

And I would have liked to have seen Spratt and Denker reach some sort of truce -- even a romantic interest!

I don't think Spratt's interests lie in that direction.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
I don't think Spratt's interests lie in that direction.

Probably not. He wasn't Barrow's type either.

--------------------

The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was disappointed that it didn't end with the Dowager Countess waking up to find Matthew in the shower.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Alive or dead?

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Australian finale is tonight.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not quite - it's only episode 4 tonight.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Here in the US, we had a full-day rerun of season 6 on Sunday! [Smile]

Gave me a chance to catch up on some bits I missed--like *exactly* what Mary did to Edith, and everyone telling Mary off. Tom Branson was wonderful, both at telling her off and trying to help. He's one of the best things that ever happened to that family.

Edith's husband is maybe a little more honorable and has a little more backbone than I thought. But I don't think they're a good match, and Tom Branson would be much better.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

She could never cope with being told off, however nicely.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I loved Edith's mom-in-law calling her "damaged goods." Nowadays she'd just be called "experienced." [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016