homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » In the gutter

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: In the gutter
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frankenstein:
Well as this "discussion" has descended to the level of the gutter, I for one am leaving.

Well, as what you term "discussion" is basically good ol' fashioned Protestant bashing without any attempt at the application of logic, consistency, basic human decency or Christian charity anything you post struggles to get to the top of the sludge in the gutter. As you started that thread it never really got out of the gutter, despite the best attempts of others to give it a lift.

I for one would like you to agree with yourself, and actually leave. But, that would deprive you of opportunities to tell us that we should all return to the Roman Church.

Oh, but you can't, can you?
quote:
I see much to be admired in the Orthodox Church.
They have the advantaged of being untarnished by the likes of Luther, Calvin, Knox and Cranmer.

quote:
There seems to my simplistic mind, a tendency for "discussions" to descend from the lofty planes to the lower regions, possibly incorrectly described by me as the gutter. I should try to remember that some of those who partake on these boards have no sense of humour or sense of irony.
Well good luck to them.

So, here we are. Lacking all sense of humour and irony. But, at least the rest of us have the benefits of being able to think clearly, have intelligent conversations, treat others of different traditions with respect and cordiality, and be basically civilised human beings.

Good luck.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm, I see Frankenstein mostly as someone who's trying to rile us up but who's not very good at it. He tried it a bit with Biblical inerrancy, now he's doing it with ecumenism. The funny thing is when he thought we would be offended by calling us heretics.

I don't think that calling on him to make a coherent argument is going to achieve much; it's not what he's here to do.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

- Posted      Profile for Frankenstein   Email Frankenstein   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When Ghandi was asked what he thought of civilization in the West, he said he thought it a good idea.

--------------------
It is better to travel in hope than to arrive?

Posts: 267 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

- Posted      Profile for Frankenstein   Email Frankenstein   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Hm, I see Frankenstein mostly as someone who's trying to rile us up but who's not very good at it. He tried it a bit with Biblical inerrancy, now he's doing it with ecumenism. The funny thing is when he thought we would be offended by calling us heretics.

I don't think that calling on him to make a coherent argument is going to achieve much; it's not what he's here to do.

Maybe I will improve with time.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're still waiting after five years.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Maybe I will improve with time.
I expect you'll create a monster, if you haven't done so already. Ah yes, it's in your own image, with added vanity, sarcasm and false modesty.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pity he is unable to spell correctly the name of a person he quotes approvingly. May we add illiteracy to his list of talents?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
Pity he is unable to spell correctly the name of a person he quotes approvingly. May we add illiteracy to his list of talents?

Yes, I think you can do that.
I am quite delighted at having gained your attention.

--------------------

Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

No you're probably right, at 79 years old I probably peaked a long time ago.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You know, I rather suspected that...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Frankenstein
Shipmate
# 16198

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:

You know, I rather suspected that...
Such patience, and for what?

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Feels more like 103 years. Still, I suppose everyone reaches a max. level of maturity, even those who don't like the church of Henry VIII.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alan was right in opening this Hell thread of course, but I find it difficult to get worked up over Frankenstein. He probably imagines himself as a bulldog standing up to us, but he's more like something indeterminate yelping close to your feet. You might get around to kicking it away at some point.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I find it difficult to get worked up over Frankenstein. He probably imagines himself as a bulldog standing up to us, but he's more like something indeterminate yelping close to your feet.

IngoB without the balls, basically...

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

For all his faults, IngoB was intelligent and able to argue his position with clarity and logic.

Nothing like Frankenstein at all.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IMHO, Ingo--even at his very worst--was leagues ahead.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think our friend has just mistaken the purpose of this website in general, and of Purgatory in particular. I don't think it is anything to do with his age - I'm sure there are other members in their 80s who are able to be coherent.

It doesn't make me cross to hear views like this, given I hear them all the time from my side about the RCC. Just weary, really.

People profoundly disagree on major theological and dogmatic issues. We've been doing this for hundreds of years. Get over it. We have.

--------------------
arse

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
mr cheesy: People profoundly disagree on major theological and dogmatic issues. We've been doing this for hundreds of years.
Shipmates of all creeds are rather united in our vague distaste of his directionless yammering however. He's an unintentional ecumenicalising force in that respect [Smile]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frankenstein has been around for five years?

[Confused]

How come I've only become aware of him recently?

I can't say my Ship-board experience has been enhanced or improved as a result.

Other than that, there's not a great deal to say.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Frankenstein has been around for five years?

He's been a registered member for five years, but there was a roughly four year period when he didn't post anything. Ah, those halcyon days of yore so recently departed, whose delights we failed to fully appreciate at the time. How quickly things can change for the worse. Treasure the memories, my friends, treasure them...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
where is IngoB? I liked him. Has he been planked, or just not been seen for a while?

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

He decided it was time for us to part company, see here.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hopefully, he'll come back, once he's sorted out whatever he needs/wants to sort out.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Alan was right in opening this Hell thread of course, but I find it difficult to get worked up over Frankenstein. He probably imagines himself as a bulldog standing up to us, but he's more like something indeterminate yelping close to your feet. You might get around to kicking it away at some point.

There's plenty of bull-something.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is it with that avatar?

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I thought it seemed familiar.......

I.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
What is it with that avatar?

It's the new tiger.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, he reminds me of Henry.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Duh.

2. Great, thanks to he-who-shall-not-be-named's hourly ego-Googling, he's undoubtedly needing to change his diaper and resume flailing sockpuppet registrations at us.

3. I hope an incontinent drop bear crawls into your shoe closet and finds your favourite pair, you monotreme-felching santorum stain.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016