homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ark Encounter

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Ark Encounter
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my. It's happening. The launch is in two days' time.

The pope of American fundamentalism, Ken Ham, is launching Ark Encounter. Do have a scroll through the website and decide whether to laugh or cry. Amongst the few gems I found, they described their centrepiece as as "modern engineering marvel", which seems rather ironic.

Their ticketing page even manages to be patronising:
quote:
40 Days and 40 Nights: Referencing the number of days and nights it rained during the Flood, Ark Encounter is offering extended hours (9:00 a.m. to midnight) for the first forty days and forty nights
Yet they also offer a pass for 7 consecutive days. Now I like Whipsnade zoo (I even used to work there) but I wouldn't want to visit as a tourist every day for a whole week, and I doubt that anything Answers in Genesis puts together is going to as entertaining or informative as what the Zoological Society of London do. [brick wall]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
The pope of American fundamentalism, Ken Ham,

Is Australian. Any chance of The Wall keeping such undesirables out?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
The pope of American fundamentalism, Ken Ham,

Is Australian. Any chance of The Wall keeping such undesirables out?
Keep 'em all in the Ark?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just rename the attraction Arkham.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Just rename the attraction Arkham.

LOL, but gives a bad name to my love, Harley.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the kind of person who's a sucker for a good jackalope-infused roadside attraction or "giant pagoda in the park" folly, this is pretty cool. Granted, I wish they'd used traditional timber framing methods during construction, but I understand that can get pretty expensive and maintenance intensive. When the whole thing goes belly-up because they're honestly expecting that 4,000 car parking lot to ever be filled in order to finance the thing, I'll be booking my stay at the hotel that takes its place.

I do have some questions as to how someone sculpts "the Tyrannosaurus kind," though, especially given that it looks more like a dromaeosaurid.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

It is no House on the Rock, but I would go there.

Edited to remove the official, quite horrible, website for a better one.

[ 06. July 2016, 17:32: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
As the kind of person who's a sucker for a good jackalope-infused roadside attraction or "giant pagoda in the park" folly, this is pretty cool. Granted, I wish they'd used traditional timber framing methods during construction, but I understand that can get pretty expensive and maintenance intensive. When the whole thing goes belly-up because they're honestly expecting that 4,000 car parking lot to ever be filled in order to finance the thing, I'll be booking my stay at the hotel that takes its place.

I do have some questions as to how someone sculpts "the Tyrannosaurus kind," though, especially given that it looks more like a dromaeosaurid.

Ah yes, 'kinds'. Isn't that where they massively reduce the number of taxa to fit them all on the ark, then propose rates of post-flood evolution far beyond Darwin's wildest dreams in order to explain the modern biodiversity apparently already achieved by historical times?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Number from March 2015 National Geographic piece on 'The War on Science'.

A third of Americans believe humans have existed in their present form since time began.

[ 07. July 2016, 12:05: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:
The pope of American fundamentalism, Ken Ham
Ably assisted, no doubt, by his colleagues Chuck Shem and Larry Japheth.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Number from March 2015 National Geographic piece on 'The War on Science'.

A third of Americans believe humans have existed in their present form since time began.

It is no great wonder, then, that they may well elect Trump.

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:

quote:
The pope of American fundamentalism, Ken Ham
Ably assisted, no doubt, by his colleagues Chuck Shem and Larry Japheth.
I saw Shem(p) and Larry and first thought it was a Three Stooges reference.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

UKCanuck
Shipmate
# 10780

- Posted      Profile for UKCanuck   Email UKCanuck   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Is that the place that's featured in Neil Gaiman's "American Gods"? I'd love to see that! The Ark Encounter, not so much.

--------------------
"No, the Canadian flag does not look like a giant nosebleed, so put that thought out of your mind right now." - Will & Ian Ferguson

Posts: 148 | From: Cardiff, Wales | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by UKCanuck:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Is that the place that's featured in Neil Gaiman's "American Gods"? I'd love to see that! The Ark Encounter, not so much.
Yes! See it and, for a moment, you believe the book to be more than fiction.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016