homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » U.S. Presidential Election 2016, LGBTQ Edition

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: U.S. Presidential Election 2016, LGBTQ Edition
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
hosting/

I think presidential policy on LGBTQ issues is tangential to this thread, and further discussion of this specific aspect probably belongs in Dead Horses.

Thank you for your cooperation.

/hosting

Since there will likely be several points of disagreement between the current presidential candidates on policies relating to LGBTQ Americans (and possibly LGBTQ non-Americans), especially in the wake of the recent anti-gay mass-murder in Orlando, this thread has been created to segregate such issues from the general discussion of the presidential campaign.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the issues is the percentage of the US voting population which is LGBT (not necessarily openly self-declared LGBT). The published stats I've seen suggest that those openly declared amount to less than 5% of the population as a a whole, and certainly in 2012 they voted predominantly for Obama. Given social changes, I suspect that the numbers openly declaring are increasing and it seems likely that they will follow the 2012 pattern.

There are some signs that Trump is trying to make a pitch for their votes but I'm not sure he could combine this with his ongoing programme to lock in the evangelical right.

Are there any recent voting demographics out there? I haven't been able to find any.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
One of the issues is the percentage of the US voting population which is LGBT (not necessarily openly self-declared LGBT). The published stats I've seen suggest that those openly declared amount to less than 5% of the population as a a whole, and certainly in 2012 they voted predominantly for Obama. Given social changes, I suspect that the numbers openly declaring are increasing and it seems likely that they will follow the 2012 pattern.

<snip>

Are there any recent voting demographics out there? I haven't been able to find any.

It's not so much that LGBT voters are a significant chunk of the voting population, it's the increasing number of them who are acknowledged and accepted by their friends and families. The number of gay people in the American electorate has held fairly constant, as far as anyone has been able to determine. What's increasing dramatically is the number of sympathetic straight voters who get offended when public officials want to summarily annul their son's marriage or keep their best friend from visiting her wife in the hospital.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have thought that the sympathetic factor would be correlated quite closely with predispositions to vote Democrat or Republicans. Maybe I'm wrong about that? It would be good if I was!

But again, that kind of sympathy voting, and whether the trend is increasing, is the sort of information pollsters can get at.

In general, all the demographics I have seen are that ethnic minority groups are significantly more disposed to vote Democratic than Republican. I think that will carry over into attitudes towards sexual minorities as well. The GOP seems to be becoming, increasingly, the party of the disgruntled and atavistic white males.

It will be interesting to see how much of a theme this becomes in the campaign.Here's an old 538 survey on relative intolerances between Trump and other GOP candidates. So I'm guessing it will become a feature of future attitude surveys. It looks like a kind of litmus test.

[ 14. June 2016, 22:01: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some Republicans are gay or gay-friendly. There's the Log Cabin Republicans, who are gay. And former VP Dick Cheney, much as I loathe what he did as VP, is good to his lesbian daughter, and ok with gay marriage. And he didn't think much of that county clerk who took it upon herself to keep same-sex couples from getting married.

I suspect that it's a matter of actually getting to know someone LGBTQ, and seeing that they're human. (As with any other Us/Them situation.)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here you go: Pat Robertson is always reliable about calling for the death of Gays. And I think this one is genuine.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Using Cheney as an example, would he vote Democrat - or abstain? Would he regard a candidate's attitude to LGBT social acceptability and civil rights as a vote-switcher?

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Well, here's a link.

But I don't think the Donald is really playing for the LGBT vote, simply making noises which may keep pro-gay Republicans in the GOP voting lobbies.

I would think this represents the very large majority view amongst US LGBT citizens.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barnabas--

quote:
Using Cheney as an example, would he vote Democrat - or abstain? Would he regard a candidate's attitude to LGBT social acceptability and civil rights as a vote-switcher?

I don't know. He spoke out, when he could've remained silent. IIRC, he has another daughter who's actively Republican and anti-gay, so there's family discomfort. Then again, no one else will be in the voting booth with him...

IIRC, even Karl Rove doesn't think much of Trump.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
I don't know. [Cheney] spoke out, when he could've remained silent. IIRC, he has another daughter who's actively Republican and anti-gay, so there's family discomfort. Then again, no one else will be in the voting booth with him...

Cheney did remain silent at a time when his words would have carried great weight. The 2004 Republican presidential campaign was probably the most openly anti-gay major party campaign in American history, with a strategy of motivating Republican voters with various state level anti-gay referenda. If Cheney had said something then it would have been a brave act of political principle. Instead he waited until five months after leaving office to "come out" in support of his daughter's right to marry. There was a thread on this a few years ago, dealing with various conservative politicians who change positions when they suddenly realize that their policies might affect people they know or are related to.

quote:
Well, here's a link.

But I don't think the Donald is really playing for the LGBT vote, simply making noises which may keep pro-gay Republicans in the GOP voting lobbies.

I would think this represents the very large majority view amongst US LGBT citizens.

Of course, Trump's initial statement does not contain the word "gay" or the unwieldy acronym "LGBTQ" or any other indication that the victims of this atrocity were targeted because of homophobia. Trump is not alone among Republicans in trying to erase homophobia from the Orland shootings. Mentioning it might raise uncomfortable questions about their own support of homophobic policies and whether that was a contributing factor.

For dark comedy value you can watch Anderson Cooper grill Florida Attorney-General Pam Bondi on her claim that same-sex marriage is harmful to Floridians and her sudden claim to be an ally and supporter of the LGBTQ community.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:

For dark comedy value you can watch Anderson Cooper grill Florida Attorney-General Pam Bondi on her claim that same-sex marriage is harmful to Floridians and her sudden claim to be an ally and supporter of the LGBTQ community.

Very good. It did make me smile, but mostly I admired Anderson Cooper's polite but persistent uncovering of what Pam Bondi, in retrospect, would rather not have been uncovered.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:

Very good. It did make me smile, but mostly I admired Anderson Cooper's polite but persistent uncovering of what Pam Bondi, in retrospect, would rather not have been uncovered.
Very much so. Ms. Bondi later complained about the interview, about how the parts she'd rather have shown ended up on the cutting room floor and objecting to the backdrop. Missing from her complaint is any indication that the clip was in any way inaccurate.

Of course, if I were Pam Bondi I'd count any interview that doesn't involve questions about Trump University and campaign donations [video may autoplay] to be a success, but maybe that's just me.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Very smelly. Can't find the link but I remember seeing a comment that Trump thought CNN were biased in their reporting of his Orlando comments (compared with the fairness of Fox News (!))

--------------------

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

He did miss one spectacular opportunity, however, when she stated that the victims were killed because "they were in a bar at the wrong time."

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

In the days of print media it used to be advised to "never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel". In this electronic age that might translate into not picking a fight with someone who buys electrons by the Coulomb. At any rate, Anderson Cooper felt the need to respond to Attorney-General Bondi's attack on his journalistic ethics. His main points were:

• The interview was aired live so there was no editing Bondi's remarks. The version on the website (which Cooper has no control over) was shortened for time, but that the full interview is now available online again.
  • Contrary to her later claim, Bondi did not indicate in advance that she wanted to talk about online charity scams related to the Orlando shooting
  • That Cooper wasn't "angry" at Bondi, just respectfully asking questions about her past statements, which were at considerable variance with her currently-expressed sentiments

So that's the end of it, right? Apparently not. Bondi just can't let it go so she appeared on a friendly media outlet (thanks, Fox News!) to once again complain that Anderson Cooper cruelly "incite[d] anger and hatred" by accurately quoting her past statements.

Someone should explain the Streisand effect to Ms. Bondi.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Bondi's behaviour is flaky. Fox News is flaky at best. They deserve one another. What I guess we have to live with is the credibility of the regular Fox News audience, who have been conditioned to believe what they want to hear. "All lies and jests, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bondi's behaviour is flaky. Fox News is flaky at best. They deserve one another. What I guess we have to live with is the credibility of the regular Fox News audience, who have been conditioned to believe what they want to hear. "All lies and jests, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

I think you mean credulity.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

[Hot and Hormonal] Quite right!

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

So I came across this fundraising letter from the Log Cabin Republicans recently.

quote:
Dear Friend,

There’s no way to sugar-coat this: I’m mad as hell — and I know you are, too.

Moments ago, the Republican Party passed the most anti-LGBT Platform in the Party’s 162-year history.

Opposition to marriage equality, nonsense about bathrooms, an endorsement of the debunked psychological practice of “pray the gay away” — it’s all in there.

<snip>

BUT … now is not the time to sit around feeling sorry for ourselves. Log Cabin Republicans has been officially credentialed for the Republican National Convention, and when it convenes in Cleveland in a mere 6 days’ time I want to be able to take a stand, but we’re going to need your support to do it.

Emphasis in the original. I'm not sure how effective this message of "give us money to protest this horrible thing we were completely unable to stop" is going to be as a fundraising pitch. At what point are we forced to conclude that working from within to make the Republican Party more tolerant of homosexuals (let alone any of the other LGBTQ letters) has been an abject failure. Either the GOP simply won't change on this subject, or the LCR are not capable of bringing about that change.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's see who they end up voting for.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So I came across this fundraising letter from the Log Cabin Republicans recently.

quote:
Dear Friend,

There’s no way to sugar-coat this: I’m mad as hell — and I know you are, too.

Moments ago, the Republican Party passed the most anti-LGBT Platform in the Party’s 162-year history.

Opposition to marriage equality, nonsense about bathrooms, an endorsement of the debunked psychological practice of “pray the gay away” — it’s all in there.

<snip>

BUT … now is not the time to sit around feeling sorry for ourselves. Log Cabin Republicans has been officially credentialed for the Republican National Convention, and when it convenes in Cleveland in a mere 6 days’ time I want to be able to take a stand, but we’re going to need your support to do it.

Emphasis in the original. I'm not sure how effective this message of "give us money to protest this horrible thing we were completely unable to stop" is going to be as a fundraising pitch. At what point are we forced to conclude that working from within to make the Republican Party more tolerant of homosexuals (let alone any of the other LGBTQ letters) has been an abject failure. Either the GOP simply won't change on this subject, or the LCR are not capable of bringing about that change.
This could easily be viewed both ways. I am sure from the LCRs' point of view, the intended message was something along the lines of "Real change is possible in the GOP on the issue of LGBTQ rights, but because of all you misers out there, we did not have the basic financial resources necessary to do what we needed to do. Now look what you have wrought! Once you have gotten over your guilt and shame for abandoning your LGBTQ brethren in their time of need, show some proper contrition, and give us money, lest your conscience haunt you forevermore."

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by GCabot:
This could easily be viewed both ways. I am sure from the LCRs' point of view, the intended message was something along the lines of "Real change is possible in the GOP on the issue of LGBTQ rights, but because of all you misers out there, we did not have the basic financial resources necessary to do what we needed to do. Now look what you have wrought! Once you have gotten over your guilt and shame for abandoning your LGBTQ brethren in their time of need, show some proper contrition, and give us money, lest your conscience haunt you forevermore."

The Log Cabin Republicans were founded in 1977. Think about how much has been achieved by gay rights activists working outside the Republican Party since 1977. Now consider how much the Republican Party hasn't changed on this issue since 1977. At some point the phrase "lost cause" has come in to play. If "Real change is possible in the GOP on the issue of LGBTQ rights", then at some point that has to be demonstrated rather than hypothesized.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The GOP has gotten progressively worse on LGBT+ rights since 1977. At what point does the light come on for these guys and they say, "You know, we're really not welcome here"? As every year passes they look less and less intelligent, less and less competent to view reality and act accordingly. Their continuing existence in the GOP screams out loudly to all with ears to hear, "We don't give a fuck about our own best interests as LGBT+ people; we just believe in tax cuts for the rich, and our own best social interests be damned."

--------------------

GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The Log Cabin Republicans were founded in 1977. Think about how much has been achieved by gay rights activists working outside the Republican Party since 1977. Now consider how much the Republican Party hasn't changed on this issue since 1977. At some point the phrase "lost cause" has come in to play. If "Real change is possible in the GOP on the issue of LGBTQ rights", then at some point that has to be demonstrated rather than hypothesized.
I am not sure gay rights activists accomplished much of anything during that period via politics. I cannot think of any major accomplishments by the LGBTQ community through the vehicle of the Democratic Party either. Most of the substantive gains were made through the courts and through the swaying of popular sentiment outside of the political system.

I think you may be holding the LCRs to unrealistic standards as a political interest group, and possibly overlooking what the negative effects would have been in the alternative scenario where they had not made such efforts during this period. Telling the LCRs that they should just give up all hope and wash their hands of the Republican Party would, in my opinion, be entirely unproductive both to their cause and to the national discourse in general.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am not sure gay rights activists accomplished much of anything during that period via politics. I cannot think of any major accomplishments by the LGBTQ community through the vehicle of the Democratic Party either.

Well, there is this one. Possibly this one.
It would appear that the Democrats have a better record if not fantastically so, but more of them seem to be supportive whereas the Republicant's are mixed between standing still and moving backwards.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Their continuing existence in the GOP screams out loudly to all with ears to hear, "We don't give a fuck about our own best interests as LGBT+ people; we just believe in tax cuts for the rich, and our own best social interests be damned."

Nobody gets to vote for a candidate that agrees with them 100%, except possibly the candidate himself. It is perfectly possible to be both gay and a fiscal conservative. So what do you vote for? Your perceived best interests as an LGBT+ person, or your perceived best interest as a wealthy tax-paying person?

Who the fuck are you to tell someone else how he should make that choice? Who the fuck are you to try to force LGBT+ people to be single-issue voters.

Gay people don't owe some special duty to other gay people. They have the same duty as everyone else - to vote to bring about what they consider to be the best achievable result.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
I am not sure gay rights activists accomplished much of anything during that period via politics. I cannot think of any major accomplishments by the LGBTQ community through the vehicle of the Democratic Party either. Most of the substantive gains were made through the courts and through the swaying of popular sentiment outside of the political system.

Just to be clear, "that period" is 1977 through the present day. I'm a bit baffled by your assertion that there have been no legislative changes relating to gay rights since then. For reference, in 1980 homosexuality was a crime in 28 states plus the District of Columbia. Going from that to 0 states (not all of which was achieved "through the courts") seems like a pretty big accomplishment, but I await your explanation as to why it wasn't.

In a democracy, swaying "popular sentiment" isn't "outside of the political system", it is the political system.

quote:
I think you may be holding the LCRs to unrealistic standards as a political interest group, and possibly overlooking what the negative effects would have been in the alternative scenario where they had not made such efforts during this period. Telling the LCRs that they should just give up all hope and wash their hands of the Republican Party would, in my opinion, be entirely unproductive both to their cause and to the national discourse in general.

Why? Given that their efforts to date have been either "entirely unproductive" or possibly counterproductive (in their own words "the Republican Party passed the most anti-LGBT Platform in the Party’s 162-year history", which would indicate the GOP is getting worse on the issues the LCR claim to care about), why would "wash[ing] their hands of the Republican Party" be expected to produce worse results than the result that they're getting now?

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Who the fuck are you to tell someone else how he should make that choice? Who the fuck are you to try to force LGBT+ people to be single-issue voters.

Gay people don't owe some special duty to other gay people. They have the same duty as everyone else - to vote to bring about what they consider to be the best achievable result.

That's sort of the whole purpose of the Log Cabin Republicans. Their existence is based on the idea that gay people have a particular set of interests and that they can best be advanced through the Republican Party. As their recent fundraising letter notes (see above) they seem to have failed rather abjectly on the terms that they set out for themselves. No one is forcing the LCRs to claim that gay people "owe some special duty to other gay people", but that's the pitch they've made so they're left with the consequences.

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Hosting

This is unacceptably personal for a non hell board. Please either take it to Hell or drop the personalised attacks as per C4.

4. If you must get personal, take it to Hell

If you get into a personality conflict with other shipmates, you have two simple choices: end the argument or take it to Hell.

Louise
Dead Horses Host

Hosting off

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I disagree. Log Cabin Republicans are a special interest group and their special interest is LGBT people. Though they qualify that with conservative. That is stupid. Rights for LGBT do not recognise left or right.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

I disagree. Log Cabin Republicans are a special interest group and their special interest is LGBT people. Though they qualify that with conservative. That is stupid. Rights for LGBT do not recognise left or right.
But in this country right and left recognize rights for LGBT+ people quite differently.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

And, I'm guessing, a lot of them probably grew up around conservative politics, agreed with the ideas, realized they were LGBT+, and felt they shouldn't have to choose between their politics and sexuality. LCR gives them a place where they can have both. Kind of like finding an affirming church.

[ 19. July 2016, 03:27: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
And, I'm guessing, a lot of them probably grew up around conservative politics, agreed with the ideas, realized they were LGBT+, and felt they shouldn't have to choose between their politics and sexuality. LCR gives them a place where they can have both. Kind of like finding an affirming church.

More like trying repeatedly to fit in and win the approval of the family that's disowned you for being gay. Sure, everyone's pitching in for Grampa Bob's new venture, but Bob doesn't want help from the likes of you. Yes, we know you'd like to speak with brother George, but he doesn't want to talk with you. I guess you can come over for Christmas, but don't bring your family with you. You know Uncle Willard doesn't approve of that kind of thing.

There are a lot of adjectives that come to mind in these situations, but "affirming" isn't one of them. While persistence is sometimes admirable, having a shred of dignity can be admirable too.

--------------------

GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

quote:
quote:

Just to be clear, "that period" is 1977 through the present day. I'm a bit baffled by your assertion that there have been no legislative changes relating to gay rights since then. For reference, in 1980 homosexuality was a crime in 28 states plus the District of Columbia. Going from that to 0 states (not all of which was achieved "through the courts") seems like a pretty big accomplishment, but I await your explanation as to why it wasn't.

In a democracy, swaying "popular sentiment" isn't "outside of the political system", it is the political system.

quote:

Why? Given that their efforts to date have been either "entirely unproductive" or possibly counterproductive (in their own words "the Republican Party passed the most anti-LGBT Platform in the Party’s 162-year history", which would indicate the GOP is getting worse on the issues the LCR claim to care about), why would "wash[ing] their hands of the Republican Party" be expected to produce worse results than the result that they're getting now?

I never asserted, “there have been no legislative changes relating to gay rights” since 1977. What I said was that I was not aware of any major accomplishments in terms of gay rights that can be said to have been directly resultant from the purposeful efforts of gay-rights activists. This also relates to your claim that swaying popular sentiment “is the political system.” I am making a distinction between the efforts of gay-rights activists to normalize same-sex behavior in society, i.e., sway popular sentiment, thus indirectly advancing gay rights through the increasing likelihood of electing politicians who will vote for such legislation, versus the direct efforts of gay-rights activists to elect politicians specifically on the issue of furtherance of LGBTQ rights or to push such issues onto the forefront of the agenda, i.e., through the political system. While there were certainly some legislative accomplishments during this period, I would attribute most of them to the former.

Furthermore, while you are correct that many states still had sodomy laws at the time, a great many of them were not actively enforced. Thus, I do not consider their de jure repeal as a “major” accomplishment. As for those states that did continue to actively enforce such laws, decriminalization for the most part did not occur until Lawrence v. Texas was decided, which was a judicial, rather than political accomplishment.

I would also note that it only makes sense to talk about this issue if we are considering the political parties on a macro-national level. On a state level, there have been plenty of Republicans who have supported gay rights. For example, I have counted only seven states that decriminalized through legislative repeal since 1980 (Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Missouri (partial), Nevada, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin), and of those seven, five had Republican governors or Republican control of at least one chamber of the state legislature at the time of repeal. Clearly, despite the current national platform, the notion that there has been no change on or support for these issues in the Republican Party is simply false. Telling LGBTQ individuals to abandon the Republican Party completely is to cede all influence in one of the two major political parties in the United States. That is why I say it would be counterproductive and harmful to our national discourse.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I disagree. Log Cabin Republicans are a special interest group and their special interest is LGBT people.
But that's not quite the same thing. Yes, they have a special interest in gay rights, but that's not the same as owing a special duty to other gay people.

It's a little ironic that here the LCRs are being given shit for voting Republican on fiscal issues despite the fact that the current Republican party is busy being as nasty to LGBT people as it possibly can, whereas not so long ago in these pages poor social conservatives were being given shit for voting Republican because of guns'n'gays despite the fact that the Republicans were busy being nasty to poor people.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Not ironic in the slightest. If we were to mention every foolish reason for people to vote Republican on every related thread, there would be no room to discuss anything else.
So sticking to each group as pertains to the thread is simple courtesy and efficiency.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:

quote:
I never asserted, “there have been no legislative changes relating to gay rights” since 1977.

That's true. You claimed there were no accomplishments "via politics" for gay rights since 1977, which would include both legislative changes and executive actions. So the lifting of ban on homosexuals serving in the U.S. armed forces, which was achieved largely through executive actions, would also count as a non-accomplishment in your estimation.

quote:
What I said was that I was not aware of any major accomplishments in terms of gay rights that can be said to have been directly resultant from the purposeful efforts of gay-rights activists.

I feel a great disturbance in the Force™, as if millions of goal posts suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly shifted! We've gone from "gay rights activists never accomplished much of anything" to "there are no major accomplishments in terms of gay rights that can be said to have been directly resultant from the purposeful efforts of gay-rights activists."

Please define your new qualifiers. What counts as a "major" accomplishment, as opposed to an ordinary one? And why are ordinary accomplishments irrelevant? Does lobbying government count as a "purposeful effort"? How about serving in government? If the lobbying is successful does that make the ensuing action "directly resultant", or is some other factor necessary?

To take one example, Congressman Barney Frank made sure the 1990 Immigration Act dropped the language from previous incarnations of the law that had excluded anyone from immigrating to the United States if they had a "sexual deviance affliction". Does Frank count as a "gay-rights activist"? He was certainly active in promoting gay rights. His work on the 1990 Immigration Act was "purposeful", and the striking of the clause in question was "directly resultant" of his efforts. As to whether ending the bar on immigration by open homosexuals counts as a "major" accomplishment can only be determined by what criteria you consider "major". That one I'll leave to you.

--------------------

GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

quote:
quote:

quote:
I never asserted, “there have been no legislative changes relating to gay rights” since 1977.

That's true. You claimed there were no accomplishments "via politics" for gay rights since 1977, which would include both legislative changes and executive actions. So the lifting of ban on homosexuals serving in the U.S. armed forces, which was achieved largely through executive actions, would also count as a non-accomplishment in your estimation.

No, it was not a political accomplishment in my estimation. The repeal of DADT was primarily the result of two factors: First, the pressure created by unfavorable judicial decisions, including, ironically given this discussion, one filed by the LCRs in 2010. Second, the shift in popular sentiment against DADT, combined with the shifting views of the military heads on the issue, gave President Obama political cover to repeal DADT. Prior to that, despite his campaign promises, he continually dragged his feet and the issue went absolutely nowhere, despite the best efforts of gay-rights activists.

quote:
quote:
What I said was that I was not aware of any major accomplishments in terms of gay rights that can be said to have been directly resultant from the purposeful efforts of gay-rights activists.

I feel a great disturbance in the Force™, as if millions of goal posts suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly shifted! We've gone from "gay rights activists never accomplished much of anything" to "there are no major accomplishments in terms of gay rights that can be said to have been directly resultant from the purposeful efforts of gay-rights activists."

Please define your new qualifiers. What counts as a "major" accomplishment, as opposed to an ordinary one? And why are ordinary accomplishments irrelevant? Does lobbying government count as a "purposeful effort"? How about serving in government? If the lobbying is successful does that make the ensuing action "directly resultant", or is some other factor necessary?

To take one example, Congressman Barney Frank made sure the 1990 Immigration Act dropped the language from previous incarnations of the law that had excluded anyone from immigrating to the United States if they had a "sexual deviance affliction". Does Frank count as a "gay-rights activist"? He was certainly active in promoting gay rights. His work on the 1990 Immigration Act was "purposeful", and the striking of the clause in question was "directly resultant" of his efforts. As to whether ending the bar on immigration by open homosexuals counts as a "major" accomplishment can only be determined by what criteria you consider "major". That one I'll leave to you.

I already provided examples of how I define a “major” accomplishment in my previous post. I never claimed that ordinary accomplishment are irrelevant, but that was never my premise. The phrase “not much of anything” in English, for your information, means “not a lot.”

As for Rep. Frank, I would say that his advocacy was a result of his own sexual orientation, rather than casually related to the work of gay-rights activists who pushed him to act in a way he would not otherwise have done.

And with that, since you appear to be incapable of participating in a civil discussion, I will take my leave hereof.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are not going to get much more civil discussion than this in the Land of Trolls AKA the internet. "Civil discussion" on your terms will likely only happen in the company of those who already agree with you. And then it's hardly a discussion.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I keep looking through Croesus' post for signs of incivility. Disagreement, yes. A little snippiness, sure. But incivility? Not guilty.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
quote:

No, it was not a political accomplishment in my estimation. The repeal of DADT was primarily the result of two factors: . . .
I'd argue that the implementation of Don't Ask, Don't Tell was itself an intermediate stage of the process of lifting of ban on homosexuals serving in the U.S. armed forces. You can't argue that repealing sodomy laws is irrelevant because they were only sporadically enforced and then turn around and claim that executive action to end the enforcement of the military's discriminatory policy doesn't count.

quote:
. . . First, the pressure created by unfavorable judicial decisions, including, ironically given this discussion, one filed by the LCRs in 2010. . . .

Actually the ironic bit is you citing this as relevant given your stated policy that gains achieved through the courts don't count because . . . [something something]. Filing strategically selected lawsuits has a long history in the U.S. as tools of activists for various causes. I'm not sure why you denigrate/dismiss civil rights gains made this way.

quote:
Second, the shift in popular sentiment against DADT, combined with the shifting views of the military heads on the issue, gave President Obama political cover to repeal DADT.

Which is an amazing coincidence when you stop to think about it. "Popular sentiment" just happened to shift in the direction so strenuously advocated by gay rights activists at exactly the time they were doing their strenuous advocacy. What are the odds, do you suppose? Some might think there's some kind of connection there and that mobilizing public opinion is just one of the many tools in the activist toolset, but you're not fooled.

Nice use of the passive voice, BTW!

quote:
I already provided examples of how I define a “major” accomplishment in my previous post.

Actually you didn't. You provided one example of something you don't consider a major accomplishment, the decriminalization of homosexuality.

quote:
As for Rep. Frank, I would say that his advocacy was a result of his own sexual orientation, rather than casually related to the work of gay-rights activists who pushed him to act in a way he would not otherwise have done.

I'm not sure "you can't be a gay-rights activist if you're gay" is a valid line of reasoning. I don't see the alleged contradiction.

A significant number of gay-rights activists are themselves motivated by their own sexual orientation, so I guess their work doesn't count because . . . [something something reasons]. For that matter the Log Cabin Republicans themselves fall into this category, so I guess they're not really advocating for the rights of gay people either.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

quote:
Not ironic in the slightest. If we were to mention every foolish reason for people to vote Republican on every related thread, there would be no room to discuss anything else.
So sticking to each group as pertains to the thread is simple courtesy and efficiency.

You're missing the point. You can't simultaneously tell poor people who want to be mean to LGBT people that they're idiots for voting against their financial interest, and gay people who want fiscal conservatism that they're idiots for voting against their social interest.

If you're a gay fiscal conservative, or a God'n'guns'n'homophobia socialist, there's no party for you. So you have to make a choice. The Log Cabin Republicans presumably think that there's more chance of persuading the Republican party to adopt their views on gay rights than there is of persuading the Democratic party to adopt their views on economics.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
quote:

You're missing the point. You can't simultaneously tell poor people who want to be mean to LGBT people that they're idiots for voting against their financial interest, and gay people who want fiscal conservatism that they're idiots for voting against their social interest.
Setting aside that this still is not ironic, it isn't even inconsistent. Both are about being aware of your self-interest. And, in the case of your religious homophobes, being better aware of your primary source material.

quote:

If you're a gay fiscal conservative, or a God'n'guns'n'homophobia socialist, there's no party for you.

Doesn't make what I say less true.
quote:

So you have to make a choice. The Log Cabin Republicans presumably think that there's more chance of persuading the Republican party to adopt their views on gay rights than there is of persuading the Democratic party to adopt their views on economics.

Given that the GOP are not true fiscal conservatives, they are doubly idiots.

America needs more political parties. The ones they have do not represent everybody, even if they were true to the labels on the tin. I reality, both existing parties produce laws that benefit the very rich more than any other group. And, for the poor and middle, the Democrats actually represent the American Dream of pulling oneself up by the boorstraps and bettering one's financial outlook. Not by a great distance, but still.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually the Log Cabin Republicans have made tiny steps.
DeAngelo's blood boiled because tghe Texas GOP wouldn't let them rent a ne exhibit space. So now they're credentialed so they sit there and kiss the whip.

It would be great if there could be gay groups in all parties. Otherwise the special interest group becomes a mostly ignored captive client. You can see that in current Clinton Trump election.

It would be pointless to give them money. They remind me of an abused spouse asking for money to make a nice meal for the partner. So sad.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

[x-posted from the other Presidential Election thread]

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
But if you had to bet your life savings on Roe getting overturned by the SCOTUS and abortion being handed back to the states, OR a Human Life Amendment passing through congress and abortion being first-degree murder coast-to-coast, what would you bet?

Neither. If I were wagering on such things I'd bet on the Supreme Court overturning Roe using the argument that a fetus is a person under the Fourteenth Amendment, essentially getting the result of a human life amendment (abortion is first degree murder in all fifty states) without the difficulties involved in actually amending the U.S. Constitution. This argument is popular among more constitutionally-minded abortion opponents. Assuming that overturning Roe would simply re-instate the pre-Roe legal regime seems to involve a lot of underlying assumptions, most of them unwarranted.

The whole "overturning Roe would just throw abortion back to the states" is a prevarication similar to other appeals to smaller government. It's a distraction to reassure the public that the agenda being pursued won't really effect them, just those other people.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Re. the Log Cabin Republicans: The problem with this discussion so far is that it pits "interests" against "interests" as though there were some kind of equal standing between the interest of having low taxes, and the interest of staying out of jail, marrying whom you want, not getting beat up for holding hands in the park, etc.

The GOP platform is an existential threat to LGBT+ persons. Higher taxes for the vampire class, much less so.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[x-posted from the other Presidential Election thread]

quote:
But if you had to bet your life savings on Roe getting overturned by the SCOTUS and abortion being handed back to the states, OR a Human Life Amendment passing through congress and abortion being first-degree murder coast-to-coast, what would you bet?

Neither. If I were wagering on such things I'd bet on the Supreme Court overturning Roe using the argument that a fetus is a person under the Fourteenth Amendment, essentially getting the result of a human life amendment (abortion is first degree murder in all fifty states) without the difficulties involved in actually amending the U.S. Constitution. This argument is popular among more constitutionally-minded abortion opponents. Assuming that overturning Roe would simply re-instate the pre-Roe legal regime seems to involve a lot of underlying assumptions, most of them unwarranted.

The whole "overturning Roe would just throw abortion back to the states" is a prevarication similar to other appeals to smaller government. It's a distraction to reassure the public that the agenda being pursued won't really effect them, just those other people.

And, again. how much money would you be willing to bet on the prediction that there will be a bloc of at least five judges on the SCOTUS willing to endorse a Fourteenth Amendment argument in favour of fetal personhood, any time in, let's say, the next twenty years?

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
And, again. how much money would you be willing to bet on the prediction that there will be a bloc of at least five judges on the SCOTUS willing to endorse a Fourteenth Amendment argument in favour of fetal personhood, any time in, let's say, the next twenty years?

That depends entirely on the electoral successes of the Republican party, doesn't it? I'd expect any nominee put forward by President Trump to be a reliable vote along those lines. Scalia's replacement will almost certainly be picked by the winner of the November election. A bloc of Roberts, Alito, Thomas, [Scalia's replacement], plus one other would provide the necessary voting bloc. A Trump victory is currently predicted at ~40% likelihood by FiveThirtyEight. Using the Social Security Actuarial Life Tables I calculate the chance that Ginsberg, Kennedy, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan are all still alive on January 20, 2021 to be ~41%. (This methodology relies solely on the age and gender of the Justices without taking into account any data on current health or risk factors. Morbid, eh?) So the odds that a Trump victory (~40%) would allow the creation of a bloc of Supreme Court Justices willing to issue a fetal personhood decision (~59%) is approximately a combined 1-in-4. I suppose the probability might be slightly lower if we factor in the possibility that the Democrats gain control of the Senate, but I'm not seeing any plausible path for that to happen if Trump wins the White House so I guess that's baked in to that 40% Trump victory probability.

I find probabilistic calculations like this to be much more instructive than statements about hypothetical amounts of currency. Not so much "how much money would [I] be willing to bet?", but "what odds would you have to give me to entice me to make that bet?" In this case the probability is kind of low, but not low enough.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That depends entirely on the electoral successes of the Republican party, doesn't it? I'd expect any nominee put forward by President Trump to be a reliable vote along those lines. Scalia's replacement will almost certainly be picked by the winner of the November election. A bloc of Roberts, Alito, Thomas, [Scalia's replacement], plus one other would provide the necessary voting bloc.
Have those justices in the past shown themselves to be open to a 14th Amendment-based definition of fetal personhood, as opposed to a federalism-based overturning of Roe?

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Justice Ginsberg (aka "Notorious RBG"!) has cautioned that there will probably be a chance to replace several judges in the next year or two. (I think that's the time frame.) So a lot depends on who the next pres is, and whether Congress is willing to actually do its frelling job and at least have hearings about prospective justices. (That is, they should do their job if Hillary gets in (and/or before Obama leaves), and stall or vote down anyone Trump appoints, should he (all Goodness forbid) be elected.)

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016