homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Russia Today accounts closed

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Russia Today accounts closed
Meconopsis
Apprentice
# 18146

- Posted      Profile for Meconopsis   Email Meconopsis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoy many shows on RT; any thoughts on accounts being closed?
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is Russia Today?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
What is Russia Today?

A de facto dictatorship.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meconopsis
Apprentice
# 18146

- Posted      Profile for Meconopsis   Email Meconopsis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Russia Today broadcasts news programs on You Tube which present alternative to western media.
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've just returned from holiday where the only English language TV programme was Russia Today. My goodness it was so biased against Britain.

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Russia Today is funded by the Russian government, so...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

- Posted      Profile for Humble Servant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't understand this news story. It was reported that the accounts had been closed - presumably from an RT press release. Then the bank said that the accounts were still operative. I've not heard any explanation of why any action was taken or whether any action was in fact taken. There must be more to this story than we're hearing.
Do you have any more information, Meconopsis?

And welcome to the Ship, if I may be so bold.

Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

- Posted      Profile for Humble Servant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meconopsis:
Russia Today broadcasts news programs on You Tube which present alternative to western media.

Also broadcasts in the UK on terrestrial and satellite networks.
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
We've just returned from holiday where the only English language TV programme was Russia Today. My goodness it was so biased against Britain.

So different, so very different from the way our media tends to report on Russia?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Russia Today is a veritable curate's egg. It's sometimes very good in providing an alternative angle to world news and coverage of issues sometimes overlooked by the BBC and Sky, but in so doing it is also a petri dish for the festering of conspiracy theorists and other nutjobs.

The one conspiracy theory they don't give credence to is the one (attested to by their former journalists) is that there is editorial interference, with the end goal being to show the Russian government in a positive light.

It's a tough issue, because if you view it as a dissenting voice in a democracy, then the interference from the banks can be seen as deeply worrying. But if you view it as a propaganda channel for a hostile government, then it doesn't seem quite so bad an infringement of free speech, as it is free speech which is abused for the distortion of facts.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall miss it.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

So different, so very different from the way our media tends to report on Russia?
Yes.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meconopsis
Apprentice
# 18146

No, I don't have any more information or clarity to add (I was hoping to find it here, lol - I am in USA). In fact, the whole thing is opaque, which really has me curious.

I find the programs refreshing.

Meconopsis
Apprentice
# 18146

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

Yes.
No - which is why it is refreshing to me.
Meconopsis
Apprentice
# 18146

Also befuddling to my poor brain was the Ukrainian situation; the coverage on RT has made a lot of sense to me. (to wit, that the new "rulers" are oligarchs installed by war-loving neocons.
Meconopsis
Apprentice
# 18146

somewhat clarifying article on Ukraine
Meconopsis
Apprentice
# 18146

British perspective
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Also befuddling to my poor brain was the Ukrainian situation; the coverage on RT has made a lot of sense to me. (to wit, that the new "rulers" are oligarchs installed by war-loving neocons.

Russia Todaynis funded by the Russian government and approved by Putin. It might well be a change from Western coverage, but it will not be free of bias.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The coup against Yanukovych played out on Feb. 22, 2014, as the neo-Nazi militias and other violent extremists overran government buildings forcing the president and other officials to flee for their lives...Russian President Vladimir Putin, who had been presiding over the Winter Olympics at Sochi, was caught off-guard by the coup next door and held a crisis session to determine how to protect ethnic Russians and a Russian naval base in Crimea, leading to Crimea’s secession from Ukraine and annexation by Russia a year ago.
Now that's a gem of revisionist propaganda if I ever saw one.

What's next? Putin left his World Cup watch party to fight ISIS in Syria? Putin had a civil discussion with a New York businessman about the US election? Putin could be confused for a 400-pound guy sitting in his bedroom? Putin wrote an editorial in the local paper responding to a story he didn't quite agree with?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Meconopsis
Apprentice
# 18146

quote:
Russia Todaynis funded by the Russian government and approved by Putin. It might well be a change from Western coverage, but it will not be free of bias.
I don't expect anything, really, to be bias-free, but I do value differing points of view. These wars are being done in the name of the American people, they don't make sense to me, and I need more information than I get in NY Times, LA Times, & the British press. Journalists who become elite, seem too cozy with the status quo.

[fixed code]

[ 25. October 2016, 03:47: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
I don't expect anything, really, to be bias-free, but I do value differing points of view.

OK, I was being mildly sarcastic when I said bias. Russia Today are a propaganda arm of the Russian state. Much as I am frustrated by the British and American press, they are not arms of the state. BBC, which are funded by the state, will criticise government in ways Russia Today will not dare to criticise the Kremlin.
quote:

These wars are being done in the name of the American people, they don't make sense to me, and I need more information than I get in NY Times, LA Times, & the British press. Journalists who become elite, seem too cozy with the status quo.

You mentioned Ukraine. How on earth is that in the name of the American people? I doubt too many Americans know where the Ukraine is, much less are interested in its struggles.
Russia Today is not where one goes for unbiased information on Russian activity.
Russia Today is sadly lacking in journalistic standards, even forgetting the bias. Though, if you like them, may I suggest, The Sun or Fox "News"?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Meconopsis
Apprentice
# 18146

so, you are confident that U.S. neocons are not deliberately attempting to provoke Russia by replacing elected Ukrainian officials with hand-picked neo-Nazis?

BTW, I don't see that your gratuitous insult regarding what American people are or are not interested in, is helpful to discussion. I am certainly interested in what "my" government does. It's my money, & I will pay the consequences.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
so, you are confident that U.S. neocons are not deliberately attempting to provoke Russia by replacing elected Ukrainian officials with hand-picked neo-Nazis?

Yes. That narrative is a little tinfoil hat for me.
quote:

BTW, I don't see that your gratuitous insult regarding what American people are or are not interested in, is helpful to discussion.

It is not gratuitous, nor was it intended as an insult. It is an acccurate assessment. Americans are not, as a group, very well informed about what happens outside their borders. It is a function of size, power and isolation.

[ 25. October 2016, 17:36: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016