homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ship of Fools Book Group - 2016 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Ship of Fools Book Group - 2016
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A new year a new thread.
The current programme for the year is as follows:

January - Dorothy L. Sayers The Nine Tailors led by Brenda Clough
February - Anne Tyler A Spool of Blue Thread led by Sarasa
March - Susan Cooper - The Dark is Rising led by TreeBee
April - R.J. Palacio Wonder led by Curiosity Killed
May - Marilynne Robinson Home led by Fineline

Brenda Clough will be opening a thread about January's book shortly, but in the meantime feel free to contribute to the thread about December's Book The Box of Delights..

Any suggestions for other books to read this year welcome. I've recently read Nora Webster by Colm Toibin and was seriously impressed. Anyone else interested?

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nora Webster looks interesting from that review.
I've only read The Testament of Mary by him, and have managed to miss the showings of Brooklyn locally.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As we tend to do mostly fiction works, here's a selection of books in that genre that are in my "to read" pile for this year:

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
The Code of the Woosters - PG Wodehouse
The Dispossessed - Ursula Le Guin
Quarantine - Jim Crace
Our Man in Havana - Graham Greene

Any of those pique anyone else's interest?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd love to read The Kite Runner - again if it were chosen.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read The Kite Runner and although I am glad I read it, it wasn't the easiest of reads emotionally and I'm not sure I want to reread it. However, I have A Thousand Splendid Suns on my to read pile and would like encouragement to read that one.

The Code of the Woosters is good silly fun and I'd happily reread that one as I would Our Man in Havana as it's years since I read any Greene, but I devoured everything I found when I discovered him. (I'd also like to reread Travels with my Aunt)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just checked the availablity of the books suggested by Sipech, Curiosity Killed and me. The only one that people might have problems obtaining is Nora Webster which as far as I could work out wasn't on Amazon US.
Personally I have no desire to read either The Kite Runner or A Thousand Splendid Suns, but if everyone else is interested I'm happy to add one of those to the list. I was wondering about The Code of the Woosters as an August read - ideal holdiay reading for those of us on holiday then.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have Nora Webster. I wandered into Waterstones to see if I could find Nine Tailors and Nora Webster was part of one of the table displays. I came out with both and a couple of other books.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I'd really like an excuse to read Nora Webster. I have a sort of love-hate relationship with Colm Toibin so the extra motivation will be useful.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I know whay you mean about Colm Toibin Trudy Scrumptious. I only read Nora Webster because it was on my Kindle (I share it with other family members and my Mother in Law had brought it as they discussed it at her book group) and I'd run out of other things to read. It took me three goes to get into it as it appeared to start in the middle of the story. As several people have expressed an interest I've put it down for June. Any more opinions about July and the rest of the year?

January - Dorothy L. Sayers The Nine Tailors led by Brenda Clough
February - Anne Tyler A Spool of Blue Thread led by Sarasa
June - Com Toibin Nora Webster led by Sarasa (unless someone else fancies leading?
July?????
August - P.G Wodehouse The Code of the Woosters?? led by ??

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for this book club...it will help me read a bit more widely. I never know where to start with new authors.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The vigorous discussion of the Nine Tailors is so engrossing and intelligent that I haven't ventured my own lame ,"It was very good, I enjoyed it".
Looking forward to the Anne Tyler.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Agree TreeBee, The Nine Tailors discussion is one the best Book Club discussion I can remember.
Off to start the Feb thread.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Just bumping this up before it falls down the plug-hole.
A reminder of what's coming up:

Just Started - Anne Tyler A Spool of Blue Thread led by Sarasa
June - Com Toibin Nora Webster led by Sarasa (unless someone else fancies leading?)
July?????

Any suggestions for July and the rest of the year from September. Also anyone fancy leading The Code of The Woosters ?

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oops - wrong board!

[ 20. February 2016, 10:15: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about some SF? Memory by Lois McMasters Bujold is superb.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That would be lovely.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although this is one of the middle volumes in a very long SF series (something like 15, 17 novels) about Miles Vorkosigan, all of Bujold's novels are carefully written so that you can hop in at any point. Memory is particularly suitable because it is a hinge work. From this book you can look back, to the earlier space-opera Miles adventures, or forward to the more mature Miles with his adult concerns.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would love to discuss Memory. Bujold is my favorite living author.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Memory sounds good with me. An author I don't know and a genre that the Book Group hasn't tackled recently. Would you be OK to lead this in July, Brenda Clough?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Sounds good to me.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Thanks Brenda Clough.

Updated programme:
Discussing now - Anne Tyler A Spool of Blue Thread led by Sarasa
June - Com Toibin Nora Webster led by Sarasa (unless someone else fancies leading?)
July memory by Lois McMaster Bujold led by Brenda Clough

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Just bumping this up so it doesn't disappear altogether. Keep those suggestions coming!

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I've just read The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge. There is lot in the book the I think worth discussing, but as it is yet another book for young adults and we've had a lot of those lately I'm wondering if people would be interested.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I am just finishing Private Lives by Phyllis Rose -- an analysis of several Victorian married (or more or less married) couples. Solid gold.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I went to see Howard Jacobson discussing his latest book last night (and came away with a signed copy). It's called Shylock is My Name, which is a retake on Merchant of Venice and sounds amazing.

It's one of a series of Hogarth Shakespeares, no doubt inspired by the 400th anniversary this year, and the other authors include Margaret Atwood, Julian Barnes, Jeanette Winterson, Anne Tyler and Jo Nesbo, plus others. Not all these books are published yet.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Shylock is My Name sounds interesting, shall I pencil it in for later in the year? I guess Curiosity Killed will be a bit busy in September, so October or November, assuming CK is happy to lead it.
Reminder of the programme so far for the year:

May - Home by Marilynne Robinson led by Fineline
June -Nora Webster by Colm Toibin led by Sarasa
July - Memory by Lois McMaster Bujold led by Brenda Clough
August - The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse. Any takers to lead this?

[ 28. April 2016, 20:59: Message edited by: Sarasa ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I plan to be less busy - I will see what I can do.

(I've nearly finished A Spool of Blue Thread tonight as I ended up sitting outside a meeting waiting to hand over coursework and make sure it didn't go missing. I didn't have the work resources I needed to get on with anything I needed to do, so I actually stopped for a while.)

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Just bumping this up. I'm thinking suggesting The Lie Tree for September. I know it's another book for young people, but I think its appeal is wider than just another YA novel. I'm happy to lead that.
Curiosity Killed woudl you be OK leading Shylock is my Name in October?

The programme for May to August is:

May - Home by Marilynne Robinson, currently being led by Fienline
June -Nora Webster by Colm Toibin led by Sarasa
August - The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse. Still looking for someone to lead this.

Keep those suggestions coming.

--------------------

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Lie Tree sounds interesting. I'd be interested to read it.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Programme for the next few months. Any queries, suggestions, objections, please post them up.

The programme for June to October is:

June -Nora Webster by Colm Toibin led by Sarasa (discussion has just started here)
August - The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse. Still looking for someone to lead this.
September - The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge, led by Sarasa
October - Shylock is my Name by Howard Jacobson. Led by Curiosity Killed if that's OK?

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

*Bump* before this discussion falls into a blackhole.
The August book discussion, The Code of the Woosters is now open. I'm leading it at present, but if anyone would like to take over please feel free to gently nudge me out of the way.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Bumping this up again ahead of opening the discussion on September's book The Lie Tree tomorrow.
Any more suggestions for November and December?

--------------------

Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter has just given me Geraldine Brooks' A Secret Chord' as a birthday present, and so far I'm finding it very interesting. It's a retelling of the story of King David, and raises a lot of questions about the way we (Jew or Christian) might regard the Hebrew scriptures.

Would this be a good choice for November?

Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Gosh, I want to read that. I read her March and enjoyed it immensely. Alas, I am reading almost nothing for pleasure this year due to professional pressures. (I did contrive to sneak in Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson this month.)

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read The Secret Chord awhile back. I would definitely be up for discussing it.

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Right - suggested reading for the rest of the year

September - The Lie Tree led by Sarasa (thread now open)
October - Shylock is my name by Howard Jacobson led by Curiosity Killed(?)
November - A Secret Chord led by Marama(?)
December - Something Christmas related - any ideas??????

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I'm sure you've done Dickens for Xmas before?

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, we did A Christmas Carol last year.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I think A Christmas Carol was a couple of years ago, I remember being surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Last year was The Box of Delights, which to my mind was a right disappointment.
Anyway I was wondering, how about another children's classic, with a bit of a Christmas/winter theme, The Wind in the Willows or The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe perhaps?

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to propose 'All Seated on the Ground' by Connie Willis. It's a novella, so it's quite a quick read. There's a lot about Christmas music in it and one of the main characters is a choirmaster.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Jane R - The Connie Willis sounds interesting. She's a friend's favourite author but I didn't get into the one book of hers I tried, so another go would be good. Would you be able to lead the discussion?

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

I'll read anything by Connie Willis, and I haven't read that one, so I'd be in for that as a Christmas read!

--------------------
Books and things.

Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm OK to lead 'The Secret Chord' in November.

The Connie Willis for December sounds interesting but I'm not sure how easily available it is outside USA. I can't find 'All Seated on the Ground' in my usual go-to places. Might it have another title outside USA?

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could lead the December discussion, yes.

As it's a novella it tends to be included in collections of Connie Willis's short stories. I bought it as part of 'Time is the Fire: the best of Connie Willis', available in the SF Masterworks series. It doesn't seem to be available separately in the UK, but the Kindle edition of that collection is only £4.99; a lot cheaper than the prices Amazon is quoting for the hardback edition of 'All seated on the ground' by itself.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Updated Programme:

September - The Lie Tree led by Sarasa (thread now open)
October - Shylock is my name by Howard Jacobson led by Curiosity Killed(?)
November - A Secret Chord led by Marama
December - 'All Seated on the Ground' by Connie Willis in the 'Time is the Fire' collection of short stories led by Jane R.

Thank you Marama and Jane R for leading discussions in November and December. That's this year' more or less sorted.

--------------------

Marama
Shipmate
# 330

Thank you Jane, I'll find it now.
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone proposed Golden Hill by Francis Spufford for the group?
I enjoyed it and I'd like to talk about it.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Golden Hill sounds like fun. Would you liek to lead the discussion soemtime early in the new year Dafyd?

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd be happy to.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Great Dafyd. I'll put you down for January, but let me know if you'd prefer sometime later in 2017.

The current programme is:
November - A Secret Chord led by Marama (opening shortly)
December - 'All Seated on the Ground' by Connie Willis in the 'Time is the Fire' collection of short stories led by Jane R.

January - Golden Hill led by Dafyd.

Any more suggestions for next year?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016