homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Literary comfort food (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Literary comfort food
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wanted: unchallenging, uncomplicated reading material of a heart-warming nature, liable to promote warm fuzzy feelings of happiness.

I am thinking The Wind in the Willows and The House at Pooh Corner.

Suggestions?

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Throme of the Erril of Sherril" by Patricia McKillip"
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
P.G.Wodehouse books? Things always come out right for Jeeves and Wooster.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I am thinking The Wind in the Willows and The House at Pooh Corner.

Totally agree with "The Wind in the Willows".

How about "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency"? It has a lovely sunny feel to it, and the Precious Ramotswe books always perk me up. I'd describe them as heartwarming.

"Lark Rise to Candleford" by Flora Thompson (forget the TV series, this is simply a beautiful, enjoyable pastoral autobiography) and "A Country Child" by Alison Uttley are wonderfully rich, very refreshing, and leave you - well, me, anyway - wanting more.

Thanks for starting this thread. I'll note suggestions with interest.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Following with a bit more Milne:

When We Were Very Young.

and how about:

Little Lord Fauntleroy ?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Normally I like recommending Thomas Hardy and H.P. Lovecraft, but I don't they fit your criteria.

How about anything by Dame Barbara Cartland or Jules Verne?

You could also try Love in the Time of Cholera.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marley and Me? Big, fuzzy, goofy dogs are always winners.

Any old anthologies of columns by Erma Bombeck: life for an American housewife, homey and hilarious. [Cool]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comfort reads for me involve plot, so that I can fall into the story like a well and not come out. Detective novels, always good. The Curse of Chalion, LOTR, Austen, Heyer, Forrester.

Here is an entire blog post discussing Comfort Reads, with masses of recommendations.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Marley and Me? Big, fuzzy, goofy dogs are always winners.

Any old anthologies of columns by Erma Bombeck: life for an American housewife, homey and hilarious. [Cool]

Dog books are only winners when they end happily. I can't bring myself to read Marley and Me.
[Frown]

Many years ago I was a fan of Erma Bombeck, but she grew stale very rapidly (and now her themes are very dated).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen-Eva:
P.G.Wodehouse books? Things always come out right for Jeeves and Wooster.

Many years ago I was dumped by my first serious boyfriend and was heartbroken. The one thing he did for which I will always be grateful was introducing me to PGW. His books -- which always work out in the end despite seeming impossibilities -- helped me through much heartbreak when I couldn't concentrate on anything heavier.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For joy of reading, I'm fond of Michael Ende's The Neverending Story provided that you can get it in the proper red and green ink.

Less demanding and also fun, there is Ende's The Night of Wishes.

But your initial instincts are good. The House at Pooh Corner is an excellent choice.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always find the Brother Cadfael books very soothing. You know that the baddies will get their comeuppance, the young couple will be brought together to live happily ever after, and the Benedictine way of life will continue untroubled.
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed, Brother Cadfael jumped to my mind as well as I read through the other recommendations, due in part, I'm sure, to the calm of the Benedictine tradition and the general simplicity of life in that era.

But I'm also fond of Pooh, particularly when read aloud with different people sharing the voices. I was surprised how popular this turned out to be with the rest of the crew in a logging camp in Alaska.

I'd also suggest Shel Silverstein's books of poetry, such as Where the Sidewalk Ends. Silly and whimsical.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Brenda Clough about detective novels. The ones where you know everything comes out all right at the end, not the suspense type where something awful might happen.

When I was pregnant I found I could not read anything that didn't have a happy ending. I subsisted on a diet of Mary Stewart romances.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree totally about Brother Caedfel.

A short book, but good for picking up and opening to random pages for a pleasant (and educational) read:

'London Has a Garden' by Clemence Dane. A history of Covent Garden and its environs from the beginnings of London through all the twists and turns until (IIRC) the mid 1950s. Packed with the author's personal history and the lives of the great and the humble whose lives touched/were touched by this bit of real estate.

And for all that, it's light reading!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Little World of Don Camillo by Giovanni Guareschi. I have read it many times and will read it again.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
I agree with Brenda Clough about detective novels. The ones where you know everything comes out all right at the end, not the suspense type where something awful might happen.

Yes! I think that's why I'm addicted to them, especially the "cozies." I read them before I go to bed, and then the problem-solving part of my brain is engaged in trying to solve a problem that doesn't matter in real life, rather than stuff that might keep me awake.

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
The Little World of Don Camillo by Giovanni Guareschi. I have read it many times and will read it again.

Yes, to these as well! I discovered Don Camillo when I was about 11 years old (I think one of the chapters was included in my Sunday School book). I haven't read them in a while, and need to do so soon.

--------------------
~Tortuf

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When covered up with w*rk and other stresses, one of the things that cheered me up was reading a Cat Who murder mystery. Lilian Jackson Braun's style changed (of course!) as she aged, and I preferred the middle and later books, except maybe the last one or two. Even so, the books are easy reads and this cat lover enjoyed reading about Koko and YumYum.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:

I first read these in my early teens with no idea that I was mispronouncing many names in them. Still think of the characters by those names as I called them, even though I now know better. I haven't thought of them for years, but have read them many times..

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Secret Garden" (FH Burnett), the Pippi Longstocking books (Astrid Lindgren), "The Five Children & It" (E. Nesbit). Possibly the early Anne of Green Gables books, if you can cope with *some* bad events.

"Cozy", non-bloody mysteries: Nancy Atherton's Aunt Dimity series. Probably best to start with the first one--"Aunt Dimity's Death"--because it sets the tone for the series.

Dorothea Benton Frank's slice-of-life "Low Country" novels have some bad events within a cozy atmosphere; but the arc of the story is always towards growing, healing, making things better, and finding a creative way to get on with life. I've only read a few, but I highly recommend "Pawley's Island".

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've returned repeatedly to Robertson Davies' books. They are intertwined trilogies with a curious hidden reality behind. The Deptford trilogy has a boy throwing a snowball with a stone in it at a second, who ducks out of the way, such that it hits a woman who gives birth suddenly. One book is about the snowball thrower, another about the ducker, a third about the boy born that night. I particularly like The Manticore which has one of them in Switzerland getting Jungian analysis. Characters reappear in subsequent series. The Cunning Man from the unfinished final set is about a doctor set up in a church glebe house, doctoring the parishioners in an Anglo-Cath Toronto church. Transported to real people in an old world of hidden realities and connexions. Though perhaps Canadian authors are off the radar....

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christopher Moore's books always take me out of whatever circumstances I find myself. He creates such engaging characters and such deeply woven communities that suck me in. Then, of course, halfway in something truly demented and weirdly wonderful will happen that turns everything on it's head. I'm always sorry when the story is over. Theonerds should of course begin with Lamb (altho the preachers will experience frustration that the keen spiritual insights would be so much more quoteable to tender ears if the context weren't so, well, again, demented). Then once you've gotten that out of your system, you can move on to the truly hardcore twisted stuff.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stardust by Neil Gaiman.
The Princess Bride by William Goldman.

Beautiful, heart warming and makes you glad to be alive.

Drops the mike.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy, light, profound and always a good read: "Theophilus North" by Thornton Wilder.

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Howl's Moving Castle and The House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones.

Actually, just about anything by Diana Wynne Jones except for her very early books (eg Dogsbody, Wilkins' Tooth).

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Patricia Wentworth's detective stories, Nancy Mitford's books, E.Nesbit and Diana Wynne Jones, specially The Crown of Dalemark all do it for me.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your mention of Nancy Mitford has stirred a reminder in my head. Not of her, but of one of her contemporaries: Stella Gibbons. In particular, her finest work, Cold Comfort Farm.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dorothy Sayers, Georgette Heyer, the Cadfaels and children's books by Marjorie Phillips. In times of deepest stress, the Chalet School series by Elinor Brent-Dyer. There's nothing like a safe and structured world where things end happily, at least for most.

Jill Paton Walsh's continuation of the Whimsey books are also most satisfactory.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure I'd describe Cold Comfort Farm as light and heart warming!

However, John Hadfield's immortal Love on a Branch Line, HE Bates' Larkin books (Darling Buds of May), Somerville & Ross' Irish RM stories, maybe some of RF Delderfield (although some of his can be very melodramatic - To Serve Them all My Days fits the bill, as does the Horseman Riding By trilogy - don't, for the love of God, read Diana; I'm still traumatised by that awful, awful excuse for a lead character (genuinely))...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not brilliant with fiction (although I agree with Ariel's recommendation of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series), but some non-fiction that might fit the bill: Clare Balding's "My Animals and Other Family", or any of Billy Connolly's travel books (TV tie-in books) - "Journey to the Edge of the World" in particular is brilliant and I just wanted to travel with him and view the world as he did. Also what about "84 Charing Cross Road" and the follow up "The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street"?

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, in non-fiction, any of James Herriot's books.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...
...Though perhaps Canadian authors are off the radar....

I don't think I agree! Stephen Leacock's lovely books, like
Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town are culturally portable, but perhaps that's partly because he was English and took his English humour to Canada with him. Anything he wrote is firmly in the category of memorable literary comfort food.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
I've returned repeatedly to Robertson Davies' books. They are intertwined trilogies with a curious hidden reality behind.

And the trilogies themselves follow very much the same arc. It's great literary comfort food that still remains literary. I suspect it also depends on whether or not one wants tension in the middle of the warmer experiences though.

I'd second the PG Wodehouse recommendation above. Additionally, some of RK Narayan's books which have a similar gentle quality about them.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
...but some non-fiction that might fit the bill: Clare Balding's "My Animals and Other Family"

Or Gerald Durrell's "My Family and Other Animals," as well as his other hilarious books. I also second Nicolemr's recommendation of James Herriot's books.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some great suggestions here!
I'd like to add the Anastasia Krupnik series by Lois Lowry, an American children's series which was very soothing (and funny) at a time of stress for me. And also The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Armin - or Elizabeth and her German Garden by the same author. There's nothing like a month's holiday in a small Italian castle to de-stress!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
When I was pregnant I found I could not read anything that didn't have a happy ending. I subsisted on a diet of Mary Stewart romances.

I went through a spate of Mary Stewarts recently (not for that reason) and enjoyed them.

I'm just embarking on the old Moomintroll books I had as a child. Those are quite good, if the idea is to look for that uncomplicated, childlike simplicity and a happy ending.

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Mitford books, by Jan Karon

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What about "84 Charing Cross Road" and the follow up "The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street"?

Also, the following-on 'Q's Legacy'

And for those of us state-side, Helene Hanff also wrote 'The Apple of My Eye,' in which she and a friend cover Manhattan from top to bottom, gathering material for a travel guide project, IIRC

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:
I always find the Brother Cadfael books very soothing. You know that the baddies will get their comeuppance, the young couple will be brought together to live happily ever after, and the Benedictine way of life will continue untroubled.

Absolutely. I've just started re-reading the books, but have ground to a halt as the rest of the set* is in our old house, so I'll have to wait until our stuff arrives and we move into the new place next month.

For sheer "guilty-pleasure" escapism, the Jilly Cooper Rutshire books always do the trick for me [Hot and Hormonal] (and I understand there's a new one just out, which I shall devour once it becomes available in paperback). [Yipee]

* except for Saint Peter's Fair, which I lent to someone 20-something years ago and never got back, and haven't been able to find again. [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I've just started re-reading the books, but have ground to a halt as the rest of the set* is in our old house, so I'll have to wait until our stuff arrives and we move into the new place next month.
<snip>

* except for Saint Peter's Fair, which I lent to someone 20-something years ago and never got back, and haven't been able to find again. [Frown]

Have you tried abebooks? That's where I got all my Brother Cadfaels.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
quote:
What about "84 Charing Cross Road" and the follow up "The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street"?

Also, the following-on 'Q's Legacy'

And for those of us state-side, Helene Hanff also wrote 'The Apple of My Eye,' in which she and a friend cover Manhattan from top to bottom, gathering material for a travel guide project, IIRC

[Hot and Hormonal] There were follow-ups??? Going straight to Amazon!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see that many here have the same tendency as me to go back to childhood favourites at these times. I was recently pointed in the direction of the website of Girls Gone By who are publishing reprints of many including the Chalet School series.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tone lowering warning]

Old Viz annuals generally bring a smile to my face when I'm feeling miserable. Who can't laugh at farts eh?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I can’t say I’d describe Robertson Davies’ books as uncomplicatedly heartwarming with a feelgood factor. I read one once (I can’t remember which it was, but part of a trilogy) and it left me feeling depressed and slightly queasy.

But do carry on with the suggestions, people’s ideas of feelgood and heartwarming vary quite widely so I’m sure there’ll be something for LVER to try.

In amongst the books I brought back from my mother’s house there should be some Abbey Girls (which I always much preferred to the Chalet School stories) and a copy of Pollyanna. It’ll be interesting revisiting them. I found the Abbey Girls quite refreshing when I was young but will they stand the test of time?

[ 09. September 2016, 10:59: Message edited by: Ariel ]

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having recently finished "My Family and Other Animals" by Gerald Durrell (having meant to for many years) I would say it fit the bill perfectly.
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't people get murdered in Cadfael? Sounds a bit upsetting already.

I'd forgotten about Don Camillo. They had a dramatisation on the radio a few years back which I very much enjoyed. *Heads to Amazon*

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

How has this thread been allowed to go on for this long without anyone mentioning The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not exactly comfort reading, but of we are allowing HHGG, I must list Jennings, especially read under the bedclothes with a torch.

Have I said before that I was holding forth on Anthony Buckeridge as a great comic writer when one of the boys put his hand up and told the class that he was his uncle?

[ 09. September 2016, 18:43: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

How about The Last Unicorn by Peter S Beagle? A lovely atmosphere of surrealism, calm and soothing. The only thing is the ending is a little bittersweet.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Don't people get murdered in Cadfael? Sounds a bit upsetting already.

My aunt, a rather refained lady, used to say that she liked the Cadfael books because they were "gentle" murders!

[Confused]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016