homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » If you ticked the box - Christian

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: If you ticked the box - Christian
GeorgeNZ
Apprentice
# 18672

- Posted      Profile for GeorgeNZ   Email GeorgeNZ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you ticked the box or filled in the form identifying yourself as Christian - how would you then go about defining what you meant when you claimed that 'title'?

[ 16. October 2016, 04:37: Message edited by: GeorgeNZ ]

Posts: 40 | From: A land so far away | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do my best to follow Jesus and his example.

His example is the epitome of kindness, consideration and inclusivity. He didn't go with the crowd, always thought for himself and spoke up for those who had no voice.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe

that to the extent that I affirm tradition, this is the tradition that I affirm

&

that to the extent that I criticize tradition, this is the tradition that I criticize

?

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I take the Bible as my sacred book and guide.
I take Jesus - as revealed there - as the example to live by.
I believe that a relationship with a divine and good God is possible, despite my failings.
I seek the good of others - all others - as my way of showing the presence of God in the world.

And I don't believe that God wants the poor, the sick, the foreign, the destitute, the "other" dead. Just to separate myself from a massive swathe of those who claim this.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe the trajectory of His claims.

But it doesn't feel like it [Smile]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It means that when a list of boxes asks me which religion I belong to, I tick 'Christian'.

Also, I go to church frequently. All else being equal (and a liberal attitude to sexuality and a left-wing attitude to economics are included in that all else) I like to hear voices from the churches or that otherwise identify as Christian included in public space, in the media, in art and literature. Anything beyond that is not the business of forms with tick boxes.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me it means, I believe Jesus is the son of God and through his sacrifice I have a hope of everlasting life.

If someday I find that all to be untrue, I would still be glad I had followed Christ as the best example I know of how to live life. Actually "follow," is nothing I've ever done. I have yet to give up my family and comfy lifestyle to give full time help the poor and sick, so I'll just say "admire," instead.

Of course as Dafyd says none of that is any form collectors business. I only tell you guys because you're on the internet and not real.

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tick Christian because Christianity is such a tiny minority here.
I actually don't think it's anyone's business and if I was in a country where you could say "object to state" I would.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I object to state on the census form, which is about the only place I'm ever asked, because it doesn't feel as straightforward as that.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Humble Servant
Shipmate
# 18391

- Posted      Profile for Humble Servant     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe in One God, the Father Almighty... etc.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a member in good standing of the Eastern Orthodox Church.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends on context.

In other words it depends on what I think the pollster is asking.

Jengie

[ 17. October 2016, 10:13: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a baptised, believing Roman Catholic. That doesn't mean I think everyone else who ticks the box is or should be, necessarily.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I worship Jesus Christ as the one God of all creation.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anyuta
Shipmate
# 14692

- Posted      Profile for Anyuta   Email Anyuta   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was baptized into a Christian denomination. I am also a (semi) active member of that denomination.

That doesn't necessarily make me a GOOD Christian, but it's what I think determines whether I "check the box" or not.

Posts: 764 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I check the box because the alternative is not checking the box. I have no complete idea of why others might check the box, but I am certain I disagree with a good number of them.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd go with Anyuta on that. But it can mean so many things- from a strong and active personal faith to the vaguest of senses of cultural allegiance- and I'd say any of those meanings is a valid one for this purpose. But then, speaking now sociologically and culturally rather than theologically, I think I'd rather live in a society where people belonged without believing than one where people believed without belonging.

[ 17. October 2016, 18:05: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
I tick Christian because Christianity is such a tiny minority here.
I actually don't think it's anyone's business and if I was in a country where you could say "object to state" I would.

However, it's only because of censuses and polls of various kinds that you'd know for certain that Christianity represents 'a tiny minority' where you live. IMO it's useful for both the state and the general public to have this kind of information. If nothing else, religion is often bound up in national identity, and it seems useful for us to know if and how our national religious identity is changing.

I tick the 'Christian' box because that's the box that best represents my religious beliefs, practices and identity.

[ 17. October 2016, 23:10: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My life is centred around being a follower/disciple of Jesus Christ. That is where I find life's meaning and what sustains me.
My religion or faith tradition is where I can find some kind of communal expression of shared spirituality, though really I always feel a bit of a square peg.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
GeorgeNZ
Apprentice
# 18672

- Posted      Profile for GeorgeNZ   Email GeorgeNZ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite a range of answers. Its fair to say that others have viewed my questions in ways I had not envisaged. That is I did not think of a questioning pollster. I was really just thinking about the 'inner' dialogue, "i am a Christian" - why Is that?
Posts: 40 | From: A land so far away | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I think I mean when I think "I am a Christian" is more or less the Nicene creed.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also define my belief through the Nicene Creed. I am a Christian because I was born into the Roman Catholic Church and left as a teen, I had a transformational experience of being saved during my most troubling time to date and now I can't deny God any more.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To define what I meant when ticking the box 'Christian' I would say that it means that I have faith in the living God and do my best to follow the example and teaching of Jesus.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I do my best to follow Jesus and his example.

There may be other aspects to being a Christian, but I don't believe that any come even close in importance to this.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016