homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Blessing a Paschal Candle outside of Eastertide

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Blessing a Paschal Candle outside of Eastertide
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If your Paschal Candle goes kaput and it's not anywhere near Easter, can you bless a new one outside of Eastertide?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't see why not. If you can do an emergency consecration, if you are running out of the MBS, or a provisional baptism, if you are unsure of the status of the candidate, I can't see why you should manage without a Paschal Candle for six months.

IME, small MOTR rural churches will use a Paschal Candle discarded by a larger neighbour or cut costs by not having a new Candle every year. So if your 2016 Candle has passed out as a protest against the awfulness of 2016 and you have 2015's candle gathering dust in the sacristy pop it back in the stand and persevere with it until 2017, if you find the prospect of blessing a new one to be unpalatable.

Actually, if someone has a 2001 Candle, could they please pop it back in the stand and then intone "Take Back Time!" in the manner of David McCallum in 'Sapphire and Steel". With any luck we could then avert 9/11, the Iraq War, The financial crash, the death of Bowie, Brexit and Donald Trump's candidacy for the US Presidency. Desperate circumstances call for desperate measures.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I reckon. Did I ever show you this from one of my outback (OZ) churches?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had candles do that in Sydney, although not as thick as a Paschal candle.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even in Arizona I've never seen one quite that bad!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To say nothing about the condition of Fr Zappa at the time.

To be a bit serious: remove the old candle from the holder and place it in a clear glass bowl or something similar. Light it. Take your new candle and saying the Easter morning blessing prayer, light it from the flame of the old. Continuing the prayer, insert the nails into the new and then place it into the candle holder. Then extinguish the flame of the old.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

You can get treatment for that these days, but it can involve painful and embarrassing injections.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

You can get treatment for that these days, but it can involve painful and embarrassing injections.
I was going to suggest little blue pills.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It shouldn't surprise me that there are churches elsewhere in the world where being too hot is a risk likely to be encountered but somehow it still does. We're more likely to have an issue lighting candles because the matches and/or wicks have got damp, though this is a bigger problem with advent candles.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:

I was going to suggest little blue pills.
[Killing me] [Killing me]

GeeD ... nice. [Overused]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The RCC doesn't require any blessing for a 2nd paschal candle- just put new one in the stand - same as if you have 2 churches and only 1 had an Easter Vigil.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sacerdote
Apprentice
# 11627

- Posted      Profile for Sacerdote   Email Sacerdote   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd sometimes wondered about this. Pls can you give chapter & verse?
Sacerdote
Apprentice
# 11627

- Posted      Profile for Sacerdote   Email Sacerdote   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In fact there do sometimes seem to be multiple paschal candles in the Vatican at Eastertide - are we to suppose they've all been blessed at Easter Vigils? Or not?
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sacerdote:
I'd sometimes wondered about this. Pls can you give chapter & verse?

Not quite what I said earlier this envisages a private blessing.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016