homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Storm Warning

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Storm Warning
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barnabas62

I'm sorry I really don't understand.

The charge.

I thought I was operating within the letter and the spirit of the law.

I really, really do not understand how I have ignored you.

I was being conciliatory to Jamat. I wasn't junior hosting.

I understand if it cannot be explained, the referee's word is final.

I do find this rather disturbing actually. What am I missing?

Sincere regards
Martin

[ 27. October 2016, 17:42: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's leave it to Admin, Martin60.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Jamat.

I'm most impressed at your unqualified repentance. You don't have to apologize to me my friend. On the contrary I have to apologize to you as I didn't think you would respond.

The next step in the rehabilitation of your reasoning would be for you to accept that my calling your interpretation invincibly ignorant is not ad hominem within the rules of Purgatory.

That would blow me away.

First of all, this does not strike me as conciliatory.

Second, you pretty much told another Shipmate how they should interpret C4. (And I can understand why Barnabas would take that as a side comment on his hosting.) Of course telling someone how to interpret C4 (and how they should act upon a Hostly ruling)is junior hosting.

Kelly Alves
Admin

[ 28. October 2016, 04:37: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Little to add, Martin60. It was an obvious bit of junior Hosting. Which I'd warned against. I accept that your aim was reduction of personality conflict but that doesn't normally work all that well when it contains an assertion that you were in the right anyway. That's one of the problems with junior Hosting. Even when it reinforces a well known aspect of one of the 10Cs. Let us take care of that.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Ma'am, Sir. I apologize unreservedly for causing your deliberations and thank you for your sensitizing findings, Ma'am, which I will abide by if and when I'm allowed to continue.

--------------------
Love wins

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin, it's my observation that when you wish to raise an objection to a host's reprimand, you are, almost uniquely amongst all your posts, one hundred percent direct, clear, unambiguous, and unobsequious (see your OP here).

This shows you are quite capable of posting like that - when you feel it's in your interest to do so.

This raises the question of why you so often don't - to the frequent despair of those of us who have to read your posts not only at our discretion and for entertainment, but also as part of our duties in order to try and decide if you are playing by the rules.

All the more so in that not infrequently, your obscurantism does turn out to conceal an infraction.

Given your obvious intelligence and the lucidity of which you are quite clearly capable, it's hard (for me at least) not to start thinking this might be a deliberate ploy on your part to flout the rules and get away with it, thus having the last laugh at the expense of us lesser mortals.

As I keep saying in my host posts, wit and intellect are welcome in Purgatory, but being deliberately obscure for the sake of it is not.

Similarly, your undertakings to behave would sound a lot better if you didn't dress them up in all this "Sir" and "Ma'am" language.

When I can manage to understand what you're saying, I often find it engaging and fascinating. It would be a shame to lose that aspect of your contributions. The question is, can you work to ensure that?

[ 28. October 2016, 09:03: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Aye Eutychus.

The Ship is my mother after all!

I'm actually VERY old school. So when I Sir and Ma'am, I mean it. I mean respect. Deference. I work with a woman half my age as a volunteer on Friday night and she knows she's the boss. I call her that. And Guv. She likes it. I'd have made a good borderline insubordinate cop.

But as mummy is saying grow up, I will.

--------------------
Love wins

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you just call a host "mummy"?
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Did you just call a host "mummy"?

Only as they represent the Ship. And I'm being ironic about myself. The Ship - the Star of the Sea - has nurtured me with immense tolerance and a little tough love.

And I love her. Bugger me if I don't. Moved I am.

In the person of a Host it, she is telling me, not for the first time, to grow up.

I'm implying I don't want to by referring to her as mummy. I'm clinging to her indulgence.

If she kicked me out the nest I wouldn't blame her.

--------------------
Love wins

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychus has a very good point just above, if you'd trouble to pay attention.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016