homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » London carols & mulled wine - Sat 17th

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: London carols & mulled wine - Sat 17th
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone fancy an Advent/Christmas meet-up?

Here's the draft plan: On the evening of Saturday the 17th, we meet around the back of Marble Arch tube station around 6:40pm and head over to the The Church of the Annunciation for their service of lessons and carols for Christmas (service starts at 7pm).

Afterwards, we ditch the holy for the kitsch and head to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park for mulled wine, hog roasts or whatever other unhealthy entertainments we may find there.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds rather tempting. A tenative yes from me - depends on various family things, so I'll confirm later.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds really cool. I may be in, depending on energy levels.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All sounds wonderful but temperatures tomorrow are forecast to be in high 30s Celsius. No mulled wine for me. Perhaps a G&T?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's going to have to be a no from us. The real deciding factor is Southern Rail - never know when or if you're going to get anywhere. Is becoming a bit wearing after 8 months of it and is getting worse.

I'd better stop before this becomes Hell-worthy, rather than All Saints-ish!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just *bumping* the thread up in case some shippies had missed it.

Plan is to meet on the corner of Bryanston Street and Great Cumberland Place, between 18:40 and 18:50 on Saturday.

You can find my photo (albeit a couple of years old) on the shipmates' gallery.

If I'm there first and you're there 2nd, I'll be the one reading Confessions of an English Opium-Eater. Otherwise I may be awkwardly chatting to whoever turns up first. Always have a black Osprey rucksack over my right shoulder.

--------------------

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My availability is going to be work dictated. I'd love to go, but I have 20 (hopefully) end of year reports to "quality assure" otherwise known as rewrite. I'll check in during the day on Saturday when I know where I am with that little task.

Don't give up on that basis as there may well be others appearing although they haven't posted.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I thought family life has got in the way of coming out this evening. Have a lovely time.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

Am on the corner (south-east) as described.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I am sorry, by the time I realised that there was no way I was making it, it was after I'd fallen asleep and it was already service time.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

I hope you had a great time Sipech.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

I may be filing something with Miss Amanda later today. [Snigger]
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope so. I was going to attend Lessons and Carols yesterday but spent the afternoon at the dentist instead -- tooth "went ripe" on me and had to be pulled. Couldn't wait -- too much discomfort.

[ 19. December 2016, 14:18: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I hope so. I was going to attend Lessons and Carols yesterday but spent the afternoon at the dentist instead -- tooth "went ripe" on me and had to be pulled. Couldn't wait -- too much discomfort.

I was at L&C at the Cathedral yesterday and saw someone I was sure was you across the aisle. After the service I went up to him (luckily not using your Ship name!), and he nicely told me he wasn't you. He seemed very amused. So, even though you didn't make it, your Doppelgänger did.

Hope your tooth is better, and sorry you missed a lovely service.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope, wasn't me. I had selected a Reformed church to "do" that was having Lessons and Carols. I thought it would be interesting to compare L&C Reformed Style with what we're used to. I could have gone after my procedure but I just wasn't feeling up to it.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016