homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Happy O Sapientia!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Happy O Sapientia!
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy O Sapientia, shipmates!

And accept my congratulations a day early if you prefer just seven antiphons.

Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bless you. [Votive]

I look forward to the O Antiphons every Advent. I find them to be so moving and beautiful.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bless you, too, Hilda of Whitby!

Yes, it's one of my favourite times, too. The antiphons mean that the time is near, and there's no better way to prepare than by meditating on them.

It's our great loss that we usually now only use the seven antiphons, for the eighth, and last, is powerful. Here's O Virgo Virginum, for those who may not know it:

O Virgo virginum, quomodo fiet istud,
Quia nec primam similem visa es nec habere sequentem.
Filiae Jerusalem, quid me admiramini,
Divinum est mysterium hoc quod cernitis.

O Virgin of virgins, how shall this be?
For neither before thee was any like thee, nor shall there be after.
Daughters of Jerusalem, why marvel ye at me?
The thing which ye behold is a divine mystery.

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you - it's my birthday!

On the night of my 7th birthday a group of teenagers rung the doorbell because they had found an abandoned kitten. At my insistence we took him in and named him O Sapientia in honour of the day - Sappy for short. We had 18 happy years with him, so he definitely chose wisely!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

Great story, Gill. And a belated happy birthday!
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here they are, with the Magnificat; an early Xmas present.

O antiphons (English)

Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A question for musicologists: in the Latin rite or its precursors, are there other examples of a set of antiphons for successive days which share (broadly) the same tune?

I learned the musical beauty of the 'O's from an example on a fine, but long forgetten, RSCM record (vinyl!) of plainsong sung in English: if my memory serves me, the disc was called 'The Royal Banners'.

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Offeiriad:
A question for musicologists: in the Latin rite or its precursors, are there other examples of a set of antiphons for successive days which share (broadly) the same tune?

Not really an answer and not from a musicologist, but there is the antiphon Christus Factus Est, of which one sings more and more on successive evenings in the triduum. (I've just added it/them to the O-antiphon page I linked above).
Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know if anyone has ever produced a version of the successive Antiphons in the form of a hymn in English?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Does anyone know if anyone has ever produced a version of the successive Antiphons in the form of a hymn in English?

"O Come, O Come, Emmanuel" is a hymn paraphrase of the O antiphons in English.

In the modern Latin Rite (aka the Ordinary Form) not only are they still the Magnificat antiphons at Vespers for the last 7 days of Advent, but they now also serve as the Gospel acclamations for weekday Mass during on those days. Tomorrow's acclamation:
quote:
R. Alleluia, alleluia.

O Radiant Dawn,
splendor of eternal light, sun of justice:
come and shine on those who dwell in darkness and in the shadow of death.

R. Alleluia, alleluia.

Gospel: Luke 1:67-79

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016