homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Non-PSA Worship songs for dummies

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Non-PSA Worship songs for dummies
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The church I'm currently going to has anglo-catholic ceremony, liberal preaching and a worship group that mostly plays hillsong stuff. I'm probably in a minority here, but I think this is a completely reasonable way of running a church; I don't agree with hillsong theology at all, but I think that a church that can truly be a broad church within one congregation is utterly wonderful.

However, due to an incident involving musical differences resulting in most of the worship group leaving, musicians who don't have any experience of church 'worship music' are getting dragged into the worship group. Including me. And if I'm going to be in the worship group, I feel I ought to be suggesting some songs I agree with. But my church background is the sort of places which grumbled when they had to change from The English Hymnal to the New English Hymnal.

So... can anyone point me to resources to help me discover such songs? Which musicians/churches should I be listening to? Any great songs I really should know? Where do I start?

For political reasons I don't feel able to rock the boat at all musically, so the ideal is worship songs that are like hillsong material in every respect except the words. I'm assuming that since Hillsong is particularly criticised for its theology there must be a corpus of musically similar worship songs with theology that's more evangelical than my own position but doesn't always involve very extreme statements of PSA.

Posts: 831 | From: london | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's always Graham Kendrick.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I've read that right, you're after something that, musically, would be most naturally at home in a charismatic evangelical church, but which theologically steers clear of atonement debates. So no references sacrifice, to Jesus giving his life for sins, to blood or anything like that. Is that right?

I can't guarantee all of the following suggestions will have atonement expunged from them, but I expect you'll be able to find some songs that fit the bill. I would try:
They won't be to everyone's taste, but I hope that's a fair starting point for you.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

- Posted      Profile for *Leon*   Email *Leon*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sipech: Wonderful. Thanks,
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A very different idiom which you might wish to think about is Wild Goose (Iona).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too feel much the same about EH/NEH and share a similar suspicion of many songs from the con-evo stable. However I regularly worship with a congregation which is liturgically low, theologically liberal, and very short of resources. The 'worship group' consists very often of one man and a viola, sometimes assisted by a guitarist.

What we find works, are many well-known traditional hymns, many of the John Bell/Wild Goose songs which often have folk-song tunes, and a judicious selection of Graham Kendrick and others. Not all of these are overtly evangelical, and only one or two of them would I rate unsingable (for theological rather than musical reasons).

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you feel vineyard songs are sufficiently similar, Leon ? I know lots of vineyard songs and I would say not many are about atonement.

I don't know many Hillsong songs, though the two that immediately spring to mind My Jesus My Saviour, and The Power of Your Love aren't about PSA either.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Garth Hewitt (remember him?) produced a book of stuff about 25 years ago that never took off. I quite liked it, very PSA free.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You may find Song Select a helpful resource for digging around. weareworship.com is the online presence of Integrity Music. It may be worth exploring, and if you sign up offers a free song of the week, and IIRC a free hymn of the month.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I go to a church (and play in bands) that selectively use Hillsongs material. They also dip into a huge range of other things, including traditional hymns, but sticking with the "Hillsongs-ish" modern vibe it might be worth checking out:

• Ben Cantelon
  • Tim Hughes
  • Chris Tomlin
  • Jesus Culture
  • Rend Collective (a bit more hoedown, but often used in these contexts)
  • Stuart Townend
  • Keith Getty
  • City Harmonic (I think they're more performance than congregational, personally, but mileage varies)
  • Brenton Brown
  • Brian Johnson/Jeremy Riddle (Bethel - more iffy theology, but some good tunes that don't require the iffy theology)

A lot of those are almost certainly comfortable with PSA but PSA is by no means a feature in every single song. As with all things, there's a wheat/chaff exercise to go through and there will be lots you hate, but probably some you can use too.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*Leon*, just for information, what hymn/song book(s) does your church use at present?

Our Place - fairly trad A-C but with a smattering of evos in our now (alas) very small congregation* - uses Mayhew's oft-maligned Complete Anglican Hymns Old and New (known to us as CAHON). It gives a wide choice of classic hymns, along with a fair number of more modern stuff (Bell/Kendrick/Taize et al), and we find it pretty useful.

(*small, not because of the choice of music, but because of the laziness and incompetence of our so-called parish priest - a fine subject for a Hell thread, I'm afraid)

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just curious: what is PSA? Here in the US it usually stands for Public Service Announcement.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
I'm just curious: what is PSA? Here in the US it usually stands for Public Service Announcement.

Or prostate-specific antigen.
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Penal substitutionary atonement

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sipech wrote:
quote:
So no references sacrifice, to Jesus giving his life for sins, to blood or anything like that. Is that right?
Blimey! That would exclude loads of stuff way beyond con-evo. It's surely the con-evo take on these things that is problematic for Leon.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
Sipech wrote:
quote:
So no references sacrifice, to Jesus giving his life for sins, to blood or anything like that. Is that right?
Blimey! That would exclude loads of stuff way beyond con-evo. It's surely the con-evo take on these things that is problematic for Leon.
Yes, I assume it's the penal substitution theory of the atonement that is problematic, not the atonement per se.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
Penal substitutionary atonement

Thanks. And as a middle-aged male I'm also familiar with the one Oblatus mentioned.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you worried about what the belief of the author likely is, or just what the song itself says ?

For example I had in mind the song 'Jesus Christ, I think upon your sacrifice' by Matt Redman. He is certainly an evangelical but there's nothing about penal substitution in that song.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think most charismatic evo songsmiths are well aware of the controversial nature of PSA these days, such that even Stuart Townend, of whom, it was once said by a shipmate here, couldn't write a birthday song for his granny without bringing PSA into it, now tend to steer clear.

So newer is probably better than older. If you dig far enough down into even Kendrick's back catalogue, you can find songs that major on PSA, songs that I'm sure he would never write today.

I would agree that most Vineyard songs are probably safe bets, if that sort of thing is your musical bag - I love them, but they have been mercilessly parodied as "Jesus is my boyfriend". I'm afraid Bethel doesn't do it for me, but there is no doubt that many of their songs are very popular. Hillsong's "Man of Sorrows" (the one with the intro that's almost identical to "Hold Back The River") is the only recent song with a strong PSA message that I can recall.

Matt Redman's stuff is great, with a good and positive theology, for those who have the vocal range to sing it, and there are signs that since his time in America, he has toned down the whole "verse too low, chorus too high" thing.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not familiar with Hillsong or most of the other sources mentioned. But I grew up in a fund. church, where we had both a regular hymnal and a book of praise songs. And I gave up PSA a long time ago.

So a few ideas:

--"Praise Ye The Lord, The Almighty, The King Of Creation" (Cyberhymnal) was one of my fave songs in the praise book. I skimmed through the lyrics at the link. There are some new-to-me verses, but I didn't see anything that set me off. [Biased]

However,...it's also the kind of song that talks about God guiding, being merciful, and comforting. Sometimes, those sentiments can be wonderful. But, if you're going through bad times, they can be exactly what you *don't* need to hear--because it doesn't seem to happen.

So YMMV.

--You might check out songs from the Taize community. IIRC, there are some that don't focus on atonement.

--Try songbooks for youth groups. There'll be some PSA, but there should also be some fun songs.

--You might see if you can find Unitarian-Universalist songs. They don't believe in atonement.

All I can think of, right now.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, yes, can't believe I forgot Matt Redman. He's not as bad for stupid ranges as Tim Hughes, but a lot of the recorded/written keys are a bit high (in my experience). Nothing wrong with dropping all the Bb ones to A or G as an act of mercy [Biased]

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If singability is an issue, then Stuart Townend and Robin Mark are both excellent tunesmiths who are careful to write so that untrained voices, both male and female, can easily manage the range.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
*Leon*
Shipmate
# 3377

Thank you very much for all the stuff here - I've certainly got enough to keep me busy for a bit. It seems Matt Redman is a key person I need to be listening to.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016