homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What was it you wanted?: General enquiries 2016 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: What was it you wanted?: General enquiries 2016
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seeing as the last thread has now been tidied away with the demise of 2015 I thought I'd start a new one as I have a query.
I'm thinking of going vegan for Lent. I'm OK with food recipes (I think) as I'm already vegetarian and can adapt any with cheese, but I do like a nice cup of tea. Does anyone know of any milk substitute that doesn't taste vile in tea?

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find almond milk works best--it has a more neutral flavor than soy.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hail Mary
Apprentice
# 18531

- Posted      Profile for Hail Mary   Email Hail Mary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What about skipping the milk and going Russian-style with lemon and a vegan sweetener? Normally I drink tea like this only when I have a cold, but I find it's very happy-making.

--------------------
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Posts: 35 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2016  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not sure whether to post this here or on the recipe thread, but here goes.

Can anyone help me out with some pond translations please? I got a cookbook for Christmas that was published in the USA and some ingredients have different names. Some of them I know, for instance zucchini is courgette and cilantro is coriander leaf, but there are a couple I'm not sure about. What is cornstarch? Is that what we would call cornflour? Am I correct in thinking that green onions are spring onions?

Also, a couple of recipes call for mustard oil. I've never heard of this or seen it in the shops. When I search on Google or Amazon the only mustard oil I can find is a skincare product. Is this known by another name?

[ 13. January 2016, 07:59: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would make the same assumptions as you about cornstarch/cornflour and green/spring onions.

Mustard oil I'd assume refers to mustard seed oil. which I think I've seen in Asian grocers.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
What is cornstarch? Is that what we would call cornflour? Am I correct in thinking that green onions are spring onions?

I think you are correct about corn starch/four. The story about green onions is a little more complicated. Short form: green onions are about halfway between scallions and spring onions.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mustard oil is a South Asian ingredient. Here's a boatload of recipes. You can certainly find it in an Indian grocery store.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hazelnut milk is lovely in coffee - I don't know about tea, as I drink green tea.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarasa:
Seeing as the last thread has now been tidied away with the demise of 2015 I thought I'd start a new one as I have a query.
I'm thinking of going vegan for Lent. I'm OK with food recipes (I think) as I'm already vegetarian and can adapt any with cheese, but I do like a nice cup of tea. Does anyone know of any milk substitute that doesn't taste vile in tea?

Haven't tried it in tea, but I prefer cashew milk to almond. Creamier texture.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think you're looking for "whitener" or "creamer". "Coffee Mate" might be the sort of thing, it's non-dairy. Comes in powdered and liquid forms.

Would you consider omitting the milk substitute altogether and having a spoonful of honey in your tea? It's surprisingly nice - mellower than ordinary sugar.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many vegans eschew honey since it is an animal product. (Poor exploited bees! [Frown] )

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What about stevia as a sweetener? It's plant-based. I'm not sure if I've tried it, but lots of people use it.

Not necessarily for tea, but blackstrap/unsulphured molasses is a good sweetener, and tends to have a little bit of a bite to it. Plus lots of minerals. Start with a *tiny* amount, though--some people have a little trouble with digesting the iron, I think. (IANAD.) Lighter forms of molasses might be suitable for some teas.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've trained myself not to have sugar in tea, but that's with cow's milk, which adds sweetness itself. I halved the amount over a few weeks. Down to one spoon, then half a spoon, then the amount of a salt spoon, then everyone laughed and I stopped completely.
I find with sweeteners that they are too sweet, and half an hour later I feel I want something sweet again.
I have used almond milk in milky drinks like cocoa, made from powder*, but the makers added agave to the originally unsweetened stuff, which has changed my taste for it. I have now bought some almond flour from Sainsburys to try instead. I never tried it in tea, though.
*Because I didn't want to use liquid milk all at once.

[ 15. January 2016, 08:34: Message edited by: Penny S ]

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
What about stevia as a sweetener? It's plant-based. I'm not sure if I've tried it, but lots of people use it.

Stevia products have an aftertaste, often not dissimilar to artificial sweeteners. Stevia naturally contains bitter compounds as well as sweet, so you will encounter that or something added to hide it.
Late 2015, a university (Cornell?) announced it had found a solution, but it is not yet commercially available.
If you are already habituated to artificial sweeteners, this may not bother you.
Most nutrition studies I'm aware of suggest reducing one's predilection for sweet is preferable to any substitute for sugar.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I drink unsweetened soya milk in tea fairly often. As I drink black coffee I can't advise on that one. The tea still tastes of tea, although the soya milk is not as neutral as cow's milk. (I quite like soya cream in cooking.)

I have tried the almond milk, which has a fairly nutty taste, coconut milk, which is very creamy so would be horrible in tea, nice in rice pudding. I have no idea what the rice milk tastes like, apparently it's not good as I've been discouraged from buying it.

My daughter is dairy allergic, so when she's around I have soya milk in the fridge and I quite often finish it off rather than throw it away. When we're away from the weekend, there's no point buying both soya and cows' milk, so I just buy soya and drink it too.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've never found a good milk substitute for tea or coffee. I only have oat or rice milk on cereal now. Costa soya lattes didn't really float my boat. Although I can drink black 'normal' tea on occasion and quite enjoy it, I find Early Grey is nicer without milk.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for all the non-milk ideas. I've tried almond milk, which was OK, and I think I might get used to in time. I also have some oat milk which the makers claim will make acceptable cappuccinos, but I haven't tried it yet. The soya milk latte I had a few years ago was one of the most vile things I've tasted

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How tight are eye-glasses meant to be? I just got new glasses (slight change in prescription) and I keep having to push them up my nose (hmm... not like that... you know what I mean). I never had to do that with my old pair, but they always left marks either side of the bridge of my nose. Were the old pair too tight and these right, or should I get these tightened?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Go back and get them adjusted. It should be part of the service.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree. Glasses are difficult enough; at least they should fit.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adam.:
How tight are eye-glasses meant to be? I just got new glasses (slight change in prescription) and I keep having to push them up my nose (hmm... not like that... you know what I mean). I never had to do that with my old pair, but they always left marks either side of the bridge of my nose. Were the old pair too tight and these right, or should I get these tightened?

Get them adjusted, all part of the service or it should be.

I found that slipping happened even when adjusted sometimes. Since discovering frames with the tiny spring in hinge joint, I will not buy frames without the spring.

No slipping and generally ever so much more comfortable than older design. I have worn glasses since early teens, back in ancient history and think those springs are a wonderful design feature. I guess not all that recent now, but they were a revelation in comfort to me when I tried them on.

[ 17. January 2016, 21:12: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Keep in mind too, that if the nose pads on your glasses left marks, it may be worth asking for a different material. I am allergic to the vinyl ones and have nose pads that are made of glass. They have various composite options that are much nicer than the standard ones that come with basic glasses. In my experience, there was no extra charge for a different type.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rude Health almond milk is the best and almost indistinguishable from cow's milk in tea. Waitrose/Ocado/Holland & Barrett and independent health food shops. Oat and rice milk is too thin IMO, coconut milk is too creamy, cashew milk is hard to get hold of in the UK. Soya milk is grim unless it's the highly sweetened vanilla version - has a plasticine-like aftertaste.

Coconut milk is however very useful in lots of ways as is creamed coconut, and makes good hot chocolate.

Also Coffee Mate is not dairy-free (milk proteins listed as third ingredient after glucose syrup and palm oil), at least not the kind available in the UK - and you wouldn't use it in tea anyway.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why is it Cambridge and Oxford get multiple teams on University Challenge when other institutions do not - even if they also have a college system ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Why is it Cambridge and Oxford get multiple teams on University Challenge when other institutions do not - even if they also have a college system ?

To stop them from winning too often. This means that each team has a pool of a maximum of 1000 students, more usually hundreds, rather than the thousands that most institutions can draw own. It means that there is more chance of participation in the earlier rounds, of course, but at a significant cost to the chance of winning.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

The different University of London and University of Wales colleges get separate teams too, don't they?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the Welsh colleges are now separate Universities.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How much dung would a really big dinosaur- say a Tyrannosaurus Rex or a Diplodocus- have produced? Anyone know?
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

You might google on the term 'coprolite', which is essentially fossilized poo. I don't know how, when you look at a coprolite, to tell who excreted it. But you could surely judge volume and size.

The other way to analyze it is to think of the equivalent sized carnivore or herbivore in our modern day. It should be possible to find out how much a bison excretes per day, for instance. Or a tiger. You would want the break between meat eaters and vegetarians, because the volume of food that an herbivore has to ingest is so much greater.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's (herbivore/ carnivore difference) just the kind of thing I hadn't thought of- thanks. Does the volume of dung produced by a given kind of animal remain proportionate to body size as that size increases?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Farm animals produce about 7.5% of their body mass daily in dung; this is much less for animals in the wild. I guess it's around 2% for those.

A t-rex weighed around 7 tonnes, and a diplodocus 15 tonnes, so that would give around 300 lbs and 660 lbs of dung per day respectively.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albert Ross
Shipmate
# 3241

- Posted      Profile for Albert Ross   Email Albert Ross   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If we assume that the amount of dung produced is proportional to metabolic rate Kleiber's Law may help. "metabolic rate scales to the ¾ power of the animal's mass", So comparing an animal of 10 tons (10000 kg) to a human of 75 kg, might produce (10000/75)^(3/4) = 40 times as much dung. Of course, for a given weight, a herbivore eats more than a carnivore, producing more dung.

[Code edited to make url work. - Ariel, Heaven Host]

[ 23. January 2016, 17:49: Message edited by: Ariel ]

--------------------
Elegant, concise and full of meaning.

Posts: 80 | From: Thames Estuary | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Either way, that's really quite a lot, isn't it? I imagine that one of the drawbacks of a Jurassic Park would be the pong.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Albert Ross
Shipmate
# 3241

- Posted      Profile for Albert Ross   Email Albert Ross   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't study the article on Kleiber's Law. It may need modification when comparing a warm blooded mammal (high metabolism) with a cold blooded reptile (low). Also for same metabolic rate, animals' excreta will vary in composition and thus mass / volume. For example, desert animals will have little water in their dung.

--------------------
Elegant, concise and full of meaning.

Posts: 80 | From: Thames Estuary | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Isn't current thinking that dinosaurs were more like birds than lizards?

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

And I think that work has been done on the ratio of herbivores to carnivores in warm and cold blooded animals. Crocodiles need far less prey than big cats. I think that both the ratio, and evidence of the gait of both carnivores and herbivores suggests warm-bloodedness.

Coprolites can be identified by the contents, fossils they are associated with, and then by comparison with previously identified specimens.

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Which British engineer was it who showed that nuclear fusion can never be commercial?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
John D. Lawson

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did it pop into your mind, or did you manage to google it?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All the local supermarkets have the last basket fastened into the metal stand, with a note saying "For H&S reasons this basket can not be removed"?
What are those reasons (I suppose the metal frame is less obvious and might be a trip hazard, but most of the time they are pretty much out of the way anyway)

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Because someone would trip over the basketless frame, which is less easy to see.

They could also get stuck in the doors, slip on the floor, poison themselves with out of date food or stuff they're allergic to, get bitten by spiders lurking in banana bunches, have tins fall off the shelves on them, drop frozen chickens on their toes, get frostbite in the freezer cabinets, collide with someone's supermarket trolley or have an epileptic fit from the fluorescent lighting. Never mind what might happen in the car park. But we're focusing on shopping baskets because they're potential death traps.

My own query is: if it was possible to find a wonder drug that got rid of the plaques in brains that cause dementia, would everything return to normal, or would the bits that the plaques had tangled around be physically damaged, and the person incapable of making a complete recovery?

[ 13. February 2016, 10:43: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I always thought the last basket on the frame was there to train customers to put their baskets in the right place, instead of abandoning them on the floor.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

My own query is: if it was possible to find a wonder drug that got rid of the plaques in brains that cause dementia, would everything return to normal, or would the bits that the plaques had tangled around be physically damaged, and the person incapable of making a complete recovery?

Not a doctor, but the plaque inhibits blood flow. Any brain tissue with blocked flow for any significant amount of time begins to die. ISTM, the best a remover of plaque could do is halt the progression.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tangent to the discussion on coprolites:
One of my social work colleagues bought himself one and polished it, just to prove that you can polish t***s after all.

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
One of my social work colleagues bought himself one and polished it, just to prove that you can polish t***s after all.

I have a regular meeting that that would make a wonderful prop for. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Tangent to the discussion on coprolites:

The Mythbusters successfully polished fresh poop. Well the process took several days, so fresh is relative, but it didn't need to have been converted to stone.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
The Mythbusters successfully polished fresh poop. Well the process took several days, so fresh is relative, but it didn't need to have been converted to stone.

Even for that meeting, there's a limit to what I want to carry around with me.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is a computer problem, but I can't find a current computer thread.

A bit of background which may or may not be relevant:
Somebody at church sends out e-mails with attachments to a large group. For some reason I can open but not print these attachments, a problem I share with about 6 other recipients. My husband (on the same mailing list) can both open and print, so it's not a problem.

Today I received an e-mail, with attachment. When I tried to open it, I got a document I'd downloaded several years ago instead. I've tried several times, and the sender has re-sent it, but I'm still getting an old download. My husband has opened his attachment with no problem.

Why am I getting a random old download instead of the attachment?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

I don't know about the second one, but for the first one, our old printing set-up had trouble printing certain attachments when you just opened them and pressed 'print'; you had to download them, open up the download you'd saved somewhere, and then it would print fine.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's the second one that's the problem; I only described the first in case it had a bearing on the second.

My husband thinks I must have inadvertently / absentmindedly opened the download within the last couple of days and failed to close it properly. I am sure I haven't done that and that I haven't looked at that download for years. Quite apart from anything else it's in a password protected file, so I'm unlikely to have opened it "absentmindedly."

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016