homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Utopia - Channel 4 program

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Utopia - Channel 4 program
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any other Utopia watchers on board? This is a new SF series that is "gritty" but seems like it is becoming awesome.

It is NOT for the faint-hearted. But it is turning into a real can't-wait.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw the first episode, despite needing sleep. 4od screwed up on me for the second, as I had the sense to get some sleep when it was 'live' so I missed it. Not sure if I'll be able to fill in the blanks,now,as it seemed quite unforgiving of casual viewing.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr Bug and I are both enjoying this. It's very unusual.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
kaytee
Shipmate
# 3482

- Posted      Profile for kaytee   Email kaytee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, me too. I like the way it looks, lots of bright colours. Perhaps it looks like a comic?

I feel for the civil servant. He thought things were bad when he got a hooker pregnant, but he had no idea how much worse things could get!

--------------------
'Lying is a vital survival skill – and a terrible habit.' ~ The Doctor

Posts: 152 | From: Hertfordshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved the almost-sex scene in the first episode. All that thrashing around for nothing!

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I screwed up the recording of episode 2 before I'd watched episode 1, so gave up. [Frown]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't seen this. When is it on and how many episodes have I missed?
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

There have been three episodes, but we've only seen two. The third is sitting on the Sky box.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Channel 4, Thursdays. 3 episodes - it should be available from 4OD still.

It is sociopathic, but it gets getter and better each week. Fantastic drama, it could be completely naff, but it manages to avoid this.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's well-paced so far, and the visuals are superb. But I'm still waiting to see whether the plot holds up. It could very easily end up as just another massive sinister conspiracy with a small group of misfits on the run. That's hardly original, so I hope they haven't used up all their creativity on the high-contrast camerawork.

It's not bad, but the plot will be the difference between superb and merely decent.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

There is definitively more than there seemed to be. I am not sure who is on which side.

But I was intrigued by Arbys comment, when he was facing Jessica, and had talked to her, he still said "Where is Jessica Hyde?"

There is more backstory to this than we yet know. Which is cool. There is also more future story, although it is starting to clarify.

And no more teaspoons, which is a positive.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Fuck me, this weeks episode was awesome.

And nice to see what the archdeacon does on his off days.

Don't give up on it people! It has more twists each week.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure what to make of last night's conclusion. I won't say too much in case anyone recorded it and has yet to watch it, but it seemed to be a mix of massive surprises and rather predictable intended surprises.

And I feel like I missed something important that happened at the station.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

The ending was a little odd. I thought Wilsons uncertainly about the rightness was interesting, and quite challenging.

The station was really about the fact that Becky said "I don't know if I want to go through that with someone watching". Even though they had done what they tried to do (which was wrong anyway), it didn't change her prognosis.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

That would make sense. I don't understand how she got a ticket (wasn't Ian getting them for a different train?) but I can accept that for the sake of narrative convenience.

Wilson's feelings were interesting, and I wished they'd developed that angle a lot more. The idea that the Bad Guys might be doing a good thing (and maybe, given the thorny nature of the problem, that even their extreme methods were justified) could be an intriguing and unsettling moral dilemma and a great dramatic concept. But it seemed that it didn't serve any purpose except to explain why he did certain things that were demanded by the plot. I thought that was a missed opportunity.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I would guess she didn't get a ticket, just decided to go somewhere else, and would sort it out when she arrives.

I suppose the Wilson thing was continued through other characters, because it wasn't clear for a long time who were "good" and who was "bad". There was some "bad" people (like the civil servant) who were actually good deep down, and some seemingly "good" ones who were "bad" like the MI6 woman.

I think the ambivalence across the board was quite well played out. Yes it could have been done better by a clearer focus on Wilson, but there was a danger that it would overcome any other plot.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016