homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Nobel Prize for Literature

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Nobel Prize for Literature
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Goes to Bob Dylan.
Philip Roth must be over the moon (or not).

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well deserved, as he has produced a culturally very important body of work.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a bit of a Bobcat and every year there are threads on Dylan boards about how he should win the Noble Prize. I never thought he actually would, so I'm surprosed and very pleased.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was delighted this morning when the NY Times emailed me with the news -- and immediately thought of our friend, Zappa*.
[Yipee]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ring them bells, you heathens!

Glad to see it was for literature and not for singing.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never been as impressed with Bob Dylan as a lot of other people seem to be, but there have been some fairly odd awards for the Literature prize over the years.

I think most people would allow Kipling, Yeats, Shaw, Eliott, Hemingway and several others their places in the first rank of Anglophone writers alive since 1901. But I don't think many people would admit Pearl Buck or Doris Lessing to that pantheon.

It's difficult to evaluate some of the ones who wrote in other languages. Knut Hamsun turned out to be a quisling, and also seems to have been a racist.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I was delighted this morning when the NY Times emailed me with the news -- and immediately thought of our friend, Zappa*.
[Yipee]

I'm busy dancing beneath the diamond sky ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey Bob:

How does it Feeeeel?
Hoe does it Feeeeel?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I discovered Bob as a teenager in the early 90s. Ever since, whenever I moved to new student digs or a new house I always play Dylan continuously for 24 hours to sanctify the new home. When I married in '95 he played at my Stag Night, where 30,000 people celebrated my last few days of bachelor freedom (OK, when myself and best man went to a festival where Bob played, but in our hearts we knew the whole thing was my Stag Night).

Only last year I came across "Long ago, far away" for the first time. Not on any of the albums, one of his early songs (written when he was about 21) but lyrically it was so sharp, ironic, socially engaged. That such a song, far better than just about anything I hear nowadays (yes, my 12 year old daughter's music has turned me into a sneering curmudgeon), could be tucked away anonymously in someone's back catalogue shows just how brilliant Dylan was in those early days.

And then his poem "Last thoughts on Woody Guthrie", read on stage at the New York City's Town Hall. Damn his insightful 21 year old mind, crafting phrases that neatly sum up just how I feel, and have often felt, at so many points through my life. Nobel prize thoroughly deserved.

Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016