homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Is there an arrogance of self-sufficiency? How do the helpful ever know?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Is there an arrogance of self-sufficiency? How do the helpful ever know?
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I cribbed the title of the tread from a sentence within anglicansonline.org 26Sep2016 editorial, which among other things says that it is hard admit that while good to be able to help someone others, it's troublesome to be in need and to accept help.

This is something poignant to me. I also think it divides us. Those who need, don't ask. Those who would help, don't know they might.

I think there's a lot to discuss here. Among things that occur is the privacy of own sufferings, and how parishes may 'out' the personal to the community. The unwillingness to confess our incompetence of inability to manage something. Embarrassment and shame come to mind.

I also wonder how clergy and church staff manage this stuff, and, how they might be taken in as well.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's also the case that well-meaning people "helping" can actually be of negative help.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and that sometimes our help is all about pride in the helper. Well, it is in me, sometimes.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it a whole lot easier with both age and infirmity to ask for help when needed. Not to long ago I fell getting into my car and dropped my keys under the car and could not reach them. I boldly walked into a business office in my mind, and in truth hobbled in with my cane and proclaimed, "I need a bit of help." 10 years ago that would never have happened. I think however it was a lot easier to do that with strangers then to say to friends and neighbors I need some help. Asking for help around others does tend to make me feel perhaps a bit helpless which is a scary feeling so to be avoided.
Over the years I have found others respond best if you offer to help in a specific way such as, "May I give you a ride to the doctor." then they do to a more general, " Let me know if there is anything I can do."

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
I find it a whole lot easier with both age and infirmity to ask for help when needed.

Yes, me too. I was fiercely independent when I was younger, now I am less so.

I can't remember where I came across the (purported) African proverb, "It takes a village to raise a child" but I recently realised that, for me at least, it doesn't only apply to child raising, but to managing some of the other demanding challenges that come our way. Sometimes it's not a matter of asking someone to do something but having their support while I do it.

When I was in other city recently helping settle my brother into the 24 hour care he needs due to his dementia, various strangers offered support when I felt totally overwhelmed by the difficulties that arose. I was very grateful for this unexpected help.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am currently reading a book entitled: Fifty-Six Counties: A Montana Journey by Russell Rowland. Basically, it is about the geography and people of Montana.

Most people will naturally think of Montanians as rugged individualists, but Rowland, time and time again, shows how Montanians actually rely on each other to help farm and ranch in the state. No such thing as being self sufficiency in that state.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting Gramps. Makes me think that the idea of Christianity, in part, translates to that we cannot live a moral and good life if we claim self sufficiency spiritually. Can we really do it materially?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a saying, "We are put here on earth to help others; I have no idea what the others are here for."

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016