homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Gin Meet (speculative)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Gin Meet (speculative)
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some time ago, this Inn came to our notice. It was suggested a Gin-Meet. The impression is given that this is a pub in a former Lancashire mill town and that that is about it. Definitely a place of pilgrimage for the faithful, why would anyone else want to go there.

I stayed there the last two days. It really is not a pub; a small **** hotel would be a better description. I did have a sin of omission, in that I did not drink any of their gin, but their whisky collection was almost up to Scottish standards and they have Black Sheep on tap. I also ate at their restaurant with my sister and family and slept in one of their rooms. The restaurant is family friendly (quite a few under fives were dining at the same time as us), decent food but not as eclectic as their drink range. Four of us dined for just over £100 including a bottle of wine and we were not on the cheapest option on the menu.

Then there is location. Delph is a former mill village but depressed is the wrong word. as it is full of what I think of as Georgian stone buildings. When I drove over to my sisters at Shaw I had classic FM on and they played a part of Dvorak's New World Symphony. I thought I had stepped into a Hovis Ad by accident. There is a mix of walking around locally. For the train enthusiasts or for people who want an easy walk/cycle, there is the [url=http://madcyclelanesofmanchester.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/delph-donkey-line-delph-to-undermill.html]Delph Donkey Trail[url].

Staying at the Old Bell Inn is mid-range (unless you compare with London, but as a single person worked out for me much the same as staying at a Premier Inn or Travel Lodge in the area). I am pretty sure that at the height of the season they are fully booked so we may need to choose an unpopular time. There is at least one B&B in Delph and there maybe other accommodation.

The other drawback after cost is accessibility. By public transport, it will be the bus from Oldham or Stalybridge. I know trains go through Uppermill but they do not seem to stop.

What I am basically saying is that such a meet may appeal to more than the die-hard gin drinkers. It would be totally possible for a small posse of shipmates to book accommodation either at the Old Bell Inn or somewhere close by, maybe join up to go for a walk or such and then have a meet which might involve dinner at the Old Bell Inn. What do people think?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You've got a broken link in there, Jengie - is this the page you were trying to link to?

Piglet, AS host

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds fabulous, accessibility is a bit too problematic for me, but you make a compelling case. English people, get on it.
Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
You've got a broken link in there, Jengie - is this the page you were trying to link to?

Piglet, AS host

Yes, I think it is. Annoying as I copied and pasted.

Jengie

e.t.a. that on further in vestigation I did not put the / in the end part of the link. Numskill that I am [brick wall]

[ 29. December 2016, 15:37: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I reckoned it must have been something like that, but I couldn't quite work out what was out of place, so I had a bit of a Google.

It sounds like a lovely idea for a Ship-meet - sorry I'm on the wrong side of the Pond to join in.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
The other drawback after cost is accessibility. By public transport, it will be the bus from Oldham or Stalybridge. I know trains go through Uppermill but they do not seem to stop.

Trains between Manchester Victoria and and Huddersfield stop at Greenfield, which is nearby and walkable (under 3 miles), there's also a bus from Greenfield every 30 minutes for the less agile.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 184 bus from Manchester to Huddersfield gets within a mile and a half (Marslands: Wool Road/Navigation Inn), or there's a second bus, the 354, you can catch to cover that mile and a half - should you plan for the right two hourly time slot on a Wednesday to Friday.

The 350 bus (pdf) that runs from Greenfield runs on Saturdays and Sundays.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LRP and I are game for this.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have any dates in mind for this? I have cousins who live just about within walking distance, and it's possible that we will be able to visit them in the late spring if we voyage that far south.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks good, Mollie and I are up for it [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Am practising for it , even though distance is a bit far. Was given both Hendricks and Bombay Sapphire, my usual choice, for Christmas. Just had Hendricks with ice and cucumber and may have another. Now 8:30 pm on New Years Eve

[ 31. December 2016, 08:32: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Do you have any dates in mind for this? I have cousins who live just about within walking distance, and it's possible that we will be able to visit them in the late spring if we voyage that far south.

I have no working dates as yet. I assume after Easter (it is either rather dismal January and February or we are into Lent) and before Halloween (for the same reasons as January and February) with exclusions for bank holiday weekends and the months of July and August. I know school teachers but the I suspect for the very same reason as you would like those weekends the place will also be hyper-busy.

If others would like to start suggesting dates I am happy.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Bumping this up because an alternative form of accommodation has turned up!

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That champing costs £49 per head per night with breakfast at £10 per head. Comparing that with a two bed private room in Haworth YHA for £59 per room per night and full cooked breakfast at £5.95 per head that's expensive.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Yes, it does seem expensive for the weekend. Given the price of the Gin pub itself. I was in part misled by the fact that they put a far lower starting price on the site. Especially given that the Old Bell Inn itself has en-suite single person B&B for £60 last time I checked.

Jengie

[ 26. February 2017, 18:08: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bump, coming into summer, ideal time for a G&T.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016