homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Storm Doris is everyone OK?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Storm Doris is everyone OK?
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are all our British and Irish ship mates ok in the wake of Storm Doris. I am safely tucked up in work on Victoris in Lonfon.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So far so good in Suffolk, both my wife and I have been out. The wind's been worse to the north of us. The Orwell Bridge is closed and some signs have blown down, so the main roads are heavily congested. Trains too suffering a lot of disruption.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fences down in MK, bird feeder blown over and blue recycling bins gaily sliding down the street.
Hoping that the worst is past.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Noticeably blustery today in the Rhubarb Triangle, but no more than that. We tend to be pretty sheltered here, though. I wouldn't want to be in Bradford or further up in North Yorkshire.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I hear, northern England and southern Scotland have the worst of it, with the midlands and southern England also having noticeable Weather. Here in my bit of the central belt of Scotland it's not too bad at all - light dusting of snow this morning which has just about disappeared, not much wind to speak of and just a bit of rain. It's quite dull really - Hurricane Bawbag was much more dramatic! However, to the south and west of us I think the snow has been a lot thicker - TME started off driving to work, but the closer he got to Glasgow the thicker and higher the snow was, so he ended up turning round and having an impromptu day off. There have been a few hairy-looking videos of the M80 earlier which isn't so far away, but I think we got off pretty lightly.

I'm glad I'm not travelling today though - I'm seeing on facebook that a lot of friends are experiencing delays, crowding, replacement buses etc.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am glad I am working from home today. But I know that there will be bits of tree in the roads tomorrow.

Apparently some tiles have come off the roof of our office building, and damaged a car. So especially glad I was at home. Nobody hurt, fortunately, but disconcerting.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
East Kilbride is carefully placed to get the worst of any weather in the region. But, like Jack a dusting of snow (barely more than 2cm) which has now mostly cleared as it turned to rain in the afternoon, and not much wind. I'm guessing there must have been a very localised bad patch between us as TME had to turn back heading in this direction.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm stuck in London because the train to Edinburgh was all but cancelled this afternoon. We were standing in a packed carriage, because all non-diesel trains had been cancelled anyway, and two trains loads had been squeezed into one. And then they announced that a factory roof at Stevenage was in danger of blowing onto the line, and engineers were going to the spot. We figured were were going nowhere for at least three hours. So we came back to my friend's house, and we will try again tomorrow.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very blowy here in South West London with lots of twigs down from trees and bins blown over. i was going to see my mum two train journeys and a bus ride away, but a quick look at the travel sites led me to believe it would have been a bit of a horrible journey so I cancelled.

I just saw on the news that all East Coast trains have been stopped for the time being. We're driving up to the East Midlands tomorrow so I hope it's blown itself out by then.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I'm guessing there must have been a very localised bad patch between us as TME had to turn back heading in this direction.

A bit further north than you (he works in north Glasgow so avoids the centre, and thankfully also avoids the M80). I think it was especially bad around Balfron, from what I was hearing on the radio.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite windy down here in The Bottom Right-Hand Corner, with lots of litter being blown about the streets locally (it's bin day...). Otherwise, we have, as forecast, been on the tail end of Doris.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been very blowy in the Flatlands of the East - there's nothing to get in the way of the wind! It's been howling like anything. I've not been out of the house today but saw several prostrate bins from the window and saw polythene bags acting like athletic air jellyfish.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am stuck indoors trying to get rid of a cold so largely unaffected. It was blustery earlier.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They have opened a new entrance to the Victoria underground here in Victoria London where I work. Some of the new signage view off and took out a passer by. Nasty lots of blood on the pavement.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BBC reports that a lady was killed by falling debris in Wolverhampton, so hopefully the person involved in the Victoria incident is OK (even slight head injuries bleed profusely....).

The usual mad March winds have arrived early, it seems.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It took me three and a half hours to get home (it's usually an hour).

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was very windy here, but I cycled to work yesterday unscathed, if not a bit wobbly in the gusts. In the evening, it had died down somewhat by the time I'd dined with a friend at Darwin College and we'd gone to the pub afterwards. Any wobbling on the way home was probably due less to the storm and more to the dining!
Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very windy here (a bit west of Wolverhampton) bins scattered, and bits of trees down. I will out and about later this morning, hope I don't find too many hazards - I have to fetch an elderly gentleman from his lane called "Dark Trees". His house is called "High Trees". It is fairly isolated. [Help]
Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All is calm today - yesterday was crazily wet and windy!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of wind and travel disruption, with dead bits of trees on the roads. Further report later.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A take on info as it came into the BBC can be fournd here

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How common is it to name storms? Was it some form of tornado/cyclone? I know we name them, and typhoons, but I couldn't find [on a quick search admittedly] it called one of those.

I also read of a collapsed ceiling at a school in Milton Keynes that left a girl with life-threatening injuries... [Votive]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ian, see the UK Storm Centre.
Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks David; informative page, and site.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting day here yesterday just north of the cattle-crossing. We had a power-cut on site in the afternoon, and of course my team are in the only building without a back-up generator! Unfortunately, it came back on almost 1 hour later, just as the boss was considering sending us all home. [Frown]
Later on, when Sandemaniac and I got back from bellringing, there was a very localised power-cut, with everything in a 200-300 yard area off. Including our house. So, being children of the 70s, we used the bike lights to light the kitchen, and thanked all powers that be that we have a gas cooker to make dinner on! [Big Grin] No heating, but at least we could get hot food and drink. Power back on by the small hours of the morning and it's a lovely clear day here now.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend was going up to London to a memorial service. Our usual route to a station uses several treelined lanes, so I went to a more distant station and dropped him, going on my way to a nearby store for a quick shop. I was hardly round the corner when he rang - no trains were running. I went back and picked him up, but before thinking round it, he went to see if there were any news as to when they would be running, and was told about 5 to ten minutes. We waited in the car, but then noticed people walking purposefully as if they knew something. Back again, and he was told that there would be a train on the other platform for London. Off he went. The train came in, and set off in a downward direction, away from London.

I did my shop and set off home, choosing a back, but not lane route, to avoid the traffic for the Dartford Crossing running at half volume because the bridge was dangerous. We'd seen the queues on the main road earlier. But the grid lock had spread, and I found myself in a queue that was only moving forward because cars ahead of me were doing three point turns and going back. After I had made it across the motorway bridge, which wasn't exactly doing the Tacomah Narrows stuff, but wasn't feeling suitable for manoeuvering on, I joined them, and a parallel but less stationary jam. Only to arrive in another one which crept at snails' pace away from the Thames for ages. Eventually I got onto roads not affected by the grid lock, but kept seeing traffic in the opposite direction coming from very odd routes.

Meanwhile, the train had gone round a corner and started towards the metropolis with extended stops en route, very confusing, and my friend made it to his service in time.

Nowhere did I see any reports of what had affected the trains.

[ 24. February 2017, 18:55: Message edited by: Penny S ]

keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

- Posted      Profile for keibat   Email keibat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Penny S commented:
quote:
Nowhere did I see any reports of what had affected the trains.
Trees down on line, power lines down, line flooded ...

In our village, a chestnut tree came crashing down on the Royal Mail van; fortunately the postie was out-of-van delivering letters at the time. Apparently he said, of the post still in the van and undelivered: I hope there wasn't anything breakable in there...

--------------------
keibat from the finnish north and the lincs east rim

Posts: 93 | From: Alford, Lincs + Turku, Finland | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a tree down in the High Street blocking the main road. I only realised because I saw the stump later, there are pictures on line if I look. Shame - it was pretty laburnum.

Travel was disrupted everywhere - slowly running overground lines and people diverting around routes blocked by fallen trees. The tiny end of the line tube station I use was packed and dangerous when I arrived with people held outside to allow the full tube station to empty. That happens pretty regularly in the centre of town - Oxford Circus - but is rare out by me. Apparently Liverpool Street station was shut to clear the overcrowding too, and that's a first as far as I'm aware.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

The extraordinary thing about my trip is that no trees had fallen across the lane across which they always fall in such weather. So I didn't need to go the long jammed way round at all!
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The fence panel I was afraid would be down on my return home, after a few days away, was indeed down. And the contents of the recycling bin are strewn across the back garden. The part of the roof of the garage (which is council owned) which is part of the wall at the end of the garden came down pre-Doris. But just the day before.

I've also lost the cover for the whirlygig. As it doesn't work, I'm putting it in the shed.

Sighs deeply and has lunch before going out to tackle it all.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We lost 3 fence panels...two older ones and a newish one. The new one doesn't look too damaged, so hopefully it will just slot back into the fence posts. We need a new fence along the bottom of the garden anyway as the wooden posts have rotted and the fence is very wobbly. If the wind had been directly blowing onto it from a different direction, it would have come down. The cats are very unimpressed as they can't go out until the panels have been replaced as the garden isn't cat-safe any more...

The (potted) Christmas tree blew over. Strangely, the bird table remained upright, how does that happen?

The wind was so strong when I went across to church in the morning it was difficult to walk into - and it blew me back home rather more quickly that I intended later on!

There are lots of twigs and smallish branches down in the churchyard...so if anyone wants some brash to light fires with, help yourselves!

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016