homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » Best Avatar

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Best Avatar
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who has the best avatar on the Ship? All custom avatars are eligible for this award, but not images from the Ship's avatar gallery.

When nominating on this thread, please follow the format shown in the next post. Your post should simply contain your nomination and nothing else.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Shipmate's board name

For: Best Avatar

As seen here: Insert clickable link to the Shipmate's profile page here

My reasons for nominating: Your comments in full here

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Smudgie

As seen here: Profile link

My reasons for nominating: It's just so cute [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Smudgie for president!

I'll second this one as I was about to suggest her, too. Just looking at her avatar makes me smile each time.

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Curiosity Killed...

As seen here: Curiosity Killed ...

My reasons for nominating: It's handmade by CK. That's about as custom as it gets.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

- Posted      Profile for PrettyFly   Author's homepage   Email PrettyFly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Emma Louise

As seen here: Emma Louise

My reasons for nominating:
I've just always thought it was very pretty - I'm fluffy like that - and I love the accompanying "Storm in a Teapot" status.

--------------------
Screw today. I'm going for ice cream.

Posts: 1797 | From: Where the sun keeps shining and where the weather suits my clothes | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Scot

As seen here: Scot (His avatar is not on his profile page.)

My reasons for nominating: Scot's avatar is creative, striking, simple, unique and memorable. It's one of the best avatars I've ever seen and I've always liked it and envied it.

[ 11. December 2008, 21:23: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I nominate: Monkeylizard

As Seen Here: Monkeylizard

Reason: It looks like a cat I had did when he was wet.

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Genevičve

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Genevičve   Email Genevičve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Triple Tiara

As Seen Here:

Reason: I have always enjoyed TT's sense of humor, intellect, and lack of fanaticism regarding his faith tradition. The avatar is fabulous, and over the top. A wonderful chuckle. in all his glory

[ 12. December 2008, 13:19: Message edited by: Genevičve ]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Genevičve

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Genevičve   Email Genevičve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry for the screw-up above. Again:
NOMINATION

As Seen Here: in all his glory

Reason: As in the above post--great sense of humor, intellect, not fanatic about his tradition, all shown wonderfully in the avatar

[ 12. December 2008, 13:23: Message edited by: Genevičve ]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I second Triple Tiara's nomination. When he first got his new Avatar, it quickly caused a stir down in Eccles. It derailed this thread and turned it into a little Counter-Reformation.

I can't think of any other avatar that has made such a splash this year. The banter it caused was entertaining.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I Nominate; Huia

For; Best Avatar

As seen; Top left of this post.

Reason; It is the best depiction in an avatar of the nothingness out of which God created, therefore without it no other avatars would be. [Big Grin]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Lots of Yay

As seen here: Yay's profile.

My reasons for nominating: Her avatar and title still make me smile every time she posts.

Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Zwingli

As seen here: At the top left of this post.

My reasons for nominating: His avatar is so original and classy, Huia decided to steal it. [Razz]

Edited to poke tongue out at Huia.

[ 12. December 2008, 20:52: Message edited by: Zwingli ]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Lady in Red

As seen here: click

My reasons for nominating: I think it's sexy. Not sure why. Just strikes me that way. Something about the partially-covered face. The gloves. The Look. The pencil-point chin. I dunno. It works.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nomination

Reasons: As mentioned above! It just reeks of Awesomeness, especially after he named me Cardinal! [Big Grin]

Cardinal Max. S.J.

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And another one:

NOMINATION: Triple Tiara

FOR: Best Avatar

REASONS: What Genevieve and SPK said. Plus I rather like that plucked eyebrow thing he's got going on.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Doublethink

My reasons for nominating: I just like it. Mysterious and attractive!

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I second (or third, or something) Triple Tiara, aka Pope Hadrian VII. When The Atheist copied his avatar, Trip just found one that was even more appropriate.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Smudgie

As seen here: profile

My reasons for nominating: Cuz it's tiny cutie-pie...awwww...makes me wanna pet it...cutenes galore...wee one..awwww...pet-pet
[eta: [Axe murder] ]

[ 16. December 2008, 03:17: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Chive

As seen here: ship's nude

My reasons for nominating: This one is so funny because it looks so much like something else - and the cheeky strapline underneath reinforces the view. Rather like when my gmail account login page comes up - I never see a brown box, it always looks like a pair of brown y-fronts! [Eek!] I remember chive having a lot of fun with us trying to get us to guess what the picture really was when it first appeared.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nomination

As seen here: Clicky.

My reasons for nominating this person are:
Whut dose guys said. And, I've had fun trying to find out what painting it's from.

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well thank you everyone who is nominating my avatar. I much appreciate it.

Rossweisse is pretty close to the mark - it was a little comment she dropped at the end of a PM, mentioning my former avatar, which prompted me to take the plunge and get a personalised one. Simon was lightning fast - it pretty much appeared a few moments after my request for it!

I had lots of fun finding something suitable. Eventually I thought of the worst Pope EVER, and found inspiration on the cover of this appropriate book!

It is of course Pope Alexander VI, Rodrigo Borgia, by an anonymous German artist, and now hangs in the Musée des Beaux-Arts, Dijon, France. You can see him in all his glory here.

The ensuing comedy in Eccles was immense fun! I'm glad others enjoyed it as much as I did.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Genevičve

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

Thanks for the explanation, TT, and I do hope that the resemblance between you and the pope ends with the tiara--for your sake!! [Razz]

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Me, too. That Borgia painting reminds me of Zippy the Pinhead.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can stand this no longer. All of you are cruel, unthinking and don't understand inspired choices. Therefore I am forced to act!

NOMINATION

I nominate:Robert Armin

As seen here: Look above

My reasons for nominating: My avatar is the Fool from the Rider-Waite Tarot pack. To some this is a symbol bursting with Christian significance, to others it is so anti-Christian it deserves to be smote with a thunderbolt. Therefore, to me it sums up the whole character of the Ship as a board of Christian unrest. (My nom de plume is that of a historical fool as well, as I seek to be one fool in the company of many others.)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I second Robert Armin for Best Avatar.

Not only does it symbolize the holy fool, the Waite card represents the soul before its fall into matter - every misplaced step potentially sending him tumbling. In truth, The Fool represents already fallen humanity preparing to take its first step towards self-knowledge.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
I second Robert Armin for Best Avatar.

Not only does it symbolize the holy fool, the Waite card represents the soul before its fall into matter - every misplaced step potentially sending him tumbling. In truth, The Fool represents already fallen humanity preparing to take its first step towards self-knowledge.

nice one, Gort [Cool]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: eeGAD

As seen here: profile page

My reasons for nominating: Ingrid Third freakin' rocks, man.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nomination: Chorister

Reason: He's so cute, and always makes me go "aah".

ETA: Oh bugger, I've just realised Chorister's a Host and probably ineligible. Sorry.

[ 21. December 2008, 03:06: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Red Carpet Gown On

piglet, per the rule changes, hosts are now eligible for nomination.

Red Carpet Gown Off

[ 21. December 2008, 08:33: Message edited by: Flausa ]

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: lady in red

As seen here: on the Wit of the Year nominations

My reasons for nominating: I have this distinct recollection of a Heaven thread discussing avatars on which several male Shipmates went all drooley over this avatar. I found the response to be hilarious, so I nominate lady in red for Best Avatar.

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll third Robert Armin's nomination. He and Gort have summed it up. I think the Tarot image of the Fool, or the Seeker, works beautifully on many levels.

Also, it's a pleasing colour and design, and Robert Armin's screen name has connections to Shakespeare - so what's not to like?

[Cool]

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like Robert's too.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who doesn't think mine is quite nice?
It is easily recognizable and of course, it shows I have my 'heart' on my sleeve for the shipmates.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

- Posted      Profile for eeGAD   Email eeGAD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
NOMINATION

I nominate: eeGAD

My reasons for nominating: Ingrid Third freakin' rocks, man.

Christmas came early to the eeGAD household! (And here I thought being a stowaway meant that nobody was supposed to notice me.) It's an honor just to be nominated with the likes of Triple Tiara, Smudgie, Doublethink, Scot and all.

Thanks for the nod, Erin. as Filmore said, "Disco!"

eeG

--------------------
You don't fix faith. It fixes you. - Shepherd Book

Posts: 976 | From: The Land of Mary | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

- Posted      Profile for PrettyFly   Author's homepage   Email PrettyFly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:
It is easily recognizable and of course, it shows I have my 'heart' on my sleeve for the shipmates.

I think it's lovely. But not as lovely as mine. Plus mine ties in so well with my username - a pretty flying thing.

--------------------

Posts: 1797 | From: Where the sun keeps shining and where the weather suits my clothes | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PrettyFly:
quote:

I think it's lovely. But not as lovely as mine. Plus mine ties in so well with my username - a pretty flying thing.
Well, mine was a special "BABYBEAR' original creation, [Axe murder] so I'm quite proud of it, but, butterflies are so beautiful and yours is a joy to behold.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I feel I should 'fess up that the face in my avatar is not my own, it is a slightly altered version of Angelina Jolie. (I am told I have a passing resemblance to Sandi Toksvig, just so you can see how far off that mark it is !) It is actually modelled on the poster for a film of 1984. I have a themed board identity since I purchased my number and I chose my avatar to match.

I think the 1984-jolie image probably used this picture as a base - because one of the things I altered was to remove the hair hanging over the eye. Unfortunately, I can't find the original montage I made the avatar from.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
PrettyFly

Ship's sunbather
# 13157

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PrettyFly:
quote:

Well, mine was a special "BABYBEAR' original creation, [Axe murder] so I'm quite proud of it, but, butterflies are so beautiful and yours is a joy to behold.
[Big Grin] Group hug!

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doublethink:
quote:
I feel I should 'fess up that the face in my avatar is not my own, it is a slightly altered version of Angelina Jolie.
If you are going to steal a visage, steal from the best! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Goddess of cheekbones was clearly showing off at that conception ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll   Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016