homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » Host of the Year

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Host of the Year
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All the Hosts are wonderful, of course, but which one stands out for character and style as they go about their hostly duties? Immortalise your favourite Host by nominating him or her here. Please note: this award is for public board Hosts only, and not for the Hosts of private boards.

If you're nominating someone for a Simmy on this thread, please follow the format shown in the next post. Your post should simply contain your nomination and nothing else.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Host's board name

For: Host of the Year

My reasons for nominating: Your comments in full here

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nomination

I nominate: PeteC

For: Host of the Year.

My reasons for nominating: I'm nominating the grandfatherly PeteC not for his kind and gentle prodding in AS, but for his truly entertaining stint as a stand-in Hell Host while Comet took shore leave during Lent.

He ate threads for lunch. He belittled lame posters with glee and abandon. I turned on my computer and open up Hell just to see what threads he had closed lately. He tried, and succeeded in raising the standard of invective, wit, and callous nonchalance in Hell.

This is a good example.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Mamacita

For: Host of the year

My reasons for nominating: Mamacita is the classic, gracious hostess. She doesn't hover around emptying ashtrays and giving threatening looks toward your dip-dripping celery stick. Instead you're barely aware she's there, until you need a little help finding where to put your things or getting out of a dull conversation. Mostly you just know you're feeling welcome and having a great time; trusting that if you should get so drunk and disorderly that she has to call the cops on you, she'll send you off in a kindly way with a foil wrapped cheese ball in your pocket, and welcome you back after you've done your time.

[Drunken snif] I luv 'er.

R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: dj_ordinaire

My reasons for nominating: Eccles is one of my favourite boards, possibly THE favourite. What is more the inhabitants thereof can be a little unruly, and it is only through his excellent, and well timed, interventions that some of the more interesting threads stay focused. When not intervening formally, dj_o sets the tone of that forum to all our benefit. Special mention also goes out to Hart and jlg, of course, and it was hard to choose which most deserved the accolade.

So may he be crowned with the Simmie Biretta, awarded the small golden statuette resembling Uncle Percy Dearmer, and given whatever other laurels deemed appropriate.

--------------------
Formerly Real Ale Methodist
Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I nominate: Comet
Reason: You can always count on her to tell you exactly what she thinks, but she usually finds a funny way to do so. She is one of the few people who can make someone laugh while she is chewing their ass. [Smile]

She can also be really nice. And has pretty hair.

[ 12. December 2008, 19:42: Message edited by: Sha_Sha ]

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I second: Comet.
For position: Host of the year.
Reason: For all the reasons Sha_Sha said (except for the pretty hair) and for remaining good natured in tricky situations.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If nothing else, Comet closed that interminable Peter Jensen thread, for which we should all be eternally grateful.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I second PeteC.

Not only fine host in AS but also a great spell depping for Comet. I do wonder if months with the fluffy bunnies would ensure that any ex-AS host would behave like that.

He's a great poster too, right across the Ship, caring in AS, intelligent in Purgatory and Acid in Hell.

PeteC - Ship's all-rounder!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I would like to nominate whichever host or admin came up with this idea to poke the bejebus out of the rest of us.

I didn't realize that Host and Admin Days were a moveable feast.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nomination

I third PeteC. I can't comment on what he does in Hell, this being a Christian website I don't go there, but Campbellite and he keep AS, especially the Dostoevskyish Ozblog, on an even keel. It's the ultimate exemplar of an iron fist in a velvet glove, talking softly while carrying a big stick, add your own metaphor. And as Sioni Sais sais, he gets around the boards, not letting his AS hostly duties get in the way of eclectic forumism. Most importantly from my standpoint, although YKMV, he's a prayer warrior.

I ought to co-nominate Campbellite, who exercises just as balanced and welcome a hostly hand on the Ozblog, but we tend to see more of PeteC.

For all I know, Spike is wonderful too, but he steers clear of us. Just as well after that little episode with the national boards. Not that I bear grudges ......

FD

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
It's the ultimate exemplar of an iron fist in a velvet glove, talking softly while carrying a big stick, add your own metaphor ...
FD

Err, ... that should read mix your own metaphor. Shake don't stir. FD isn't - this time! As in 'builds bridges over oil while pouring troubled waters over greener pastures' or summat.

[ 13. December 2008, 22:46: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I nominate: jlg
For host of the year.

It's a tough call because so many hosts are excellent. But jlg demonstrates how to get the job done, efficiently, impartially and comprehensively; often with humour, or the right amount of slapped wrist, and in a way which rarely draws attention away from the thread being hosted. Quite an achievement. To my mind, she's just the perfect host.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
I can't comment on what he does in Hell, this being a Christian website I don't go there,

you just made me snort my coffee, you grand baloney artist!

[Razz]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: TonyK

My reasons for nominating:

He's put up with Dead Horses for years with grace, patience, courtesy and good humour. He deserves a medal for coping unprotestingly with some of the stuff that's been in there since the dawn of time, and which will continue to resurface and have the same things posted to them over and over again until the end of the universe.

I'll also second Mamacita. Both hosts are a real asset, and she's read through the entire Doctor Who thread without any protest.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd like to second the nomination of TonyK, the man deserves recognition for his patience.

Yours aye,

DT

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I Nominate: Trudy Scrumptious

My Reason: Any time I have requested any hosting help (via PM, usually) she has responded courteously and friendlily, even when (as is usually the case) my request was ill-founded or otherwise stupid.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another vote for comet here. She's wickedly funny while tearing deserving folks a new anal orifice.
She is also very sweet. (Sorry to ruin your image, comet.)

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
WatersOfBabylon
Shipmate
# 11893

- Posted      Profile for WatersOfBabylon   Email WatersOfBabylon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another vote for comet. Even when I vehemently disagree with her, I somehow end up laughing. And plus, I got to play with her Arab kitty in a scary airline baggage handling building in Seattle. That right there wins it.
Posts: 515 | From: I'm a nomad. | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: sarkycow, Styx Host

My reasons for nominating: Sarkycow has not said a stern or unkind word to me this entire year, unlike most other Hosts and Admins.
I would like to give an example here: but as far as I know, sarkycow has not posted anything at all during 2008.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Persecution complex, RSP?
Try directory / name of shipmate / view recent posts.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Persecution complex, RSP?
Try directory / name of shipmate / view recent posts.

See how I'm being oppressed by the sarcasm inherent in the system?
Cups hands, shouts loudly in Monty Python voice:
"Come and see how I'm being oppressed by the..."

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tot up another vote for Comet. She rules.

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
les@BALM
The Ship's Visionary
# 11237

- Posted      Profile for les@BALM   Author's homepage   Email les@BALM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish to vote for PeteC as Host of the Year, as he handles with tact and firmness everyone on the O'Canada thread, he nips in the bud anyone who gets on the thread with a bee in their bonnet and sends them off to Purgatory!

--------------------
il sole d'Italia mi è rimasto nel cure
Italia campioni del mondo ****

Tiggs the cat.

Posts: 1863 | From: Canada, eh! | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ONE HOST?????

(Get real, there are so many)

I NOMINATE
FOR: HOST/HOSTESS OF THE YEAR

1. TONY K One of my oldest friends on the ship, A Gentleman with a capital G and a person who can make me laugh at a moments notice.

2. COMET "My red headed sister from another mother". (Now, she says some words that I don't like of the nasty variety, but some people do respond to a strong word now and again!) I could forgive her anything.

3. jlg The woman has a way with words and is such a dear soul, so how could I NOT vote for her?

4. Campbellite My dear brother, who has always a good word to say via PM's when I ask him to so some changes for me. I love the man.

5. Mamacita Such a thoughtful human being who is also such a divine angel in adversity and during the good times as well.

Life would just not be worth living without these people for me. [Axe murder]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Host of the Year: Mamacita

For: Combining firmness with tact and not dwelling in immeasurable heights.

Honorable mentions: Rossweisse and Margaret. For holding things together in difficult times and having a good pastoral touch.

Lovable Eccentric Host: Zappa. For being himself and coming from a place where sheep are sheep and men are scared.

[ 23. December 2008, 05:24: Message edited by: Sir Pellinore (ret'd) ]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Red Carpet Gown On

Sir P, private board hosts are ineligible for nomination, as the all private board matters are private and not open to discussion on the Ship itself.

Red Carpet Gown Off

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

- Posted      Profile for eeGAD   Email eeGAD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: comet

My reasons for nominating: Because she combines fierce with funny

[gah!]

eeG

[ 23. December 2008, 10:33: Message edited by: eeGAD ]

--------------------
You don't fix faith. It fixes you. - Shepherd Book

Posts: 976 | From: The Land of Mary | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Trudy Scrumptious

My reasons for nominating: She is unfailingly calm, kind, and genuinely helpful, responding with charity and grace to her fellow Shipmates' questions and concerns, whether those questions are posted on a thread or sent by PM.

She's not as flashy as some of the other hosts, working mostly behind the scenes, but her contribution is no less valuable, and no less appreciated, for that.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I add my nomination to the growing pile for: TonyK

My reasons for nominating: The man labors uncomplainingly and faithfully in the darkest bowels of the Ship and has never sought public attention.

He does what so few of us would want to do and he does it with grace and a flash of self-deprecating humor. The few times I've interacted with him when I was a Host he was friendly and accomodating.

Honoring him with this ward is a) overdue and b) among the the least we can do for him.

[ 23. December 2008, 14:13: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oops, Sorry Flausa. Didn't know.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I nominate: Chorister

My reasons for nominating: For actively taking this thread into the Circus. I also support Trudy for rescuing this thread and setting it up for the circus.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I nominate: Duo Seraphim

My reasons for nominating: Duo's not a host now which might affect her eligibility, but earlier this year she was a stunningly good host. She knew exactly when to prod a thread, when to issue a hostly rebuke, and when to leave well alone. My guess is that Purgatory hosting is pretty hard work, but she made it seem effortless.

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kudos to Simon, AM, and Erin for finding all the great Hosts we have.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
Kudos to Simon, AM, and Erin for finding all the great Hosts we have.

[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yeah, we hid really well, too, but they still found us. [Biased]

(thanks, guys, we will continue to attempt to do our best)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Littlelady
Shipmate
# 9616

- Posted      Profile for Littlelady     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
I nominate: Duo Seraphim
My reasons for nominating: Duo's not a host now which might affect her eligibility, but earlier this year she was a stunningly good host. She knew exactly when to prod a thread, when to issue a hostly rebuke, and when to leave well alone. My guess is that Purgatory hosting is pretty hard work, but she made it seem effortless.

I'd second all of that.

--------------------
'When ideas fail, words come in very handy' ~ Goethe

Posts: 3737 | From: home of the best Rugby League team in the universe | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll   Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016