homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » VOTE! Wit of the Year (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: VOTE! Wit of the Year
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are the nominations for Wit of the Year. Please remind yourself of why each person was nominated by reading the post below... and then vote for your choice.

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 186 user(s) have voted.
Voting started at board time.
Voting stopped at board time.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are the nominations, in alphabetical order, for Wit of the Year.

1. comet

Wit's best post: ho ho ho

Nominated by Chorister: "As much as I hate it when people choose nominations from the last few days rather than bothering to hunt through a year's worth of posts, this one made me LOL after a busy day. Comet, IMO, has just the right blend of cantankerousness blended with wit to make her posts worth reading for their amusement as well as for the point she is trying to make."

2. Gildas

Wit's best post: Potted history of Russia

Nominated by lady in red: "My reasons for nominating: Gildas is a particularly English wit, ISTM. One of those people with a vast knowledge of everything who doubles up as a great raconteur and tells you about everything with dry, sardonic English irony. Gildas gets my vote for being witty while talking about serious things."

3. KenWritez

Wit's best post: Interpretive dance

Nominated by Left at the Altar: "Back from extended leave for only a short time, Ken's in fine form, as usual. The funniest bloke aboard."

Seconded by (among others) Potoroo: "For this post."

4. Sine Nomine

Wit's best post: I gave Gordo up for Lent

Nominated by Ariel: "His posts are consistently witty and his use of language skilled and graceful. He usually manages to sum up a situation or a poster pretty neatly - and shrewdly. Sine has style and quality, and should definitely be nominated."

Seconded by (among others) Twilight: "Supporting quotes are great and I'm sure there are dozens of excellent examples for both candidates, but as a Sine Nomine backer, I would like to point out that many of his wittiest posts have been spontaneous, in the moment, quips that would require reading the entire thread to 'get'. Even better if you happened to be reading the thread as it posted, so you could appreciate the sheer speed of Sine's quirky brain. That's not to say I haven't read entire threads out loud to my family just so they would be able to 'get' Sine's comment and they always think it's worth it."

[fixed link]

[ 19. January 2009, 14:13: Message edited by: Scot ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mm. I see no-one has commented on any real live people yet. So genteel and sensitive you all are confining yourselves to avatars.

But God has laid the heavy burden on my heart of overcoming audience reticence, hence:

Here we have a choice of

a) Sine channelling Noel Coward;

b) Kenwritez channelling the love child of Charlie Chaplin and Marcel Marceau;

c) Gildas channelling Peter Ustinov;

and
d) Comet being Comet.

Now Comet has said many funny things over the course of a year, but this, bless, is not one of them. I blame the nominator of course. Poor Chorister was clearly having a humour-enfeebled day and functioning at the sophistication level of a studio canned-laughter machine in choosing this example.

I like the Coward dryness, bitchiness and campery which is suited to Hell; whereas the Ustinov dryness: cruel-lite and unfazed in the presence of the intelligentsia is suitable for Purg.

Chaplin/Marceau love-child. This post is from the Circus, a board not noted for finely-crafted humour. Therefore, it attracts marks for trying to rise above the mediocrity of its board origins. It was crafted for a context, therefore it is unfair to judge it by more stringent standards. But I will anyway. In true Chaplin/Marceau style, it is overt and tedious.

These are my opinions, of course. If you don't like them; write your own.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Donne:
Mm. I see no-one has commented on any real live people yet. So genteel and sensitive you all are confining yourselves to avatars.

But God has laid the heavy burden on my heart of overcoming audience reticence, hence:

Here we have a choice of

a) Sine channelling Noel Coward;

b) Kenwritez channelling the love child of Charlie Chaplin and Marcel Marceau;

c) Gildas channelling Peter Ustinov;

and
d) Comet being Comet.

Let's look a bit further: Sine's entire life channels Noel Coward. I think he deserves points for wit allied to consistency. KenWritez is not only influenced by Chaplin and Marceau (and how do you get Marceau into poetry?) but also by Martha Graham. Quite a trick and even better to make it work. Gildas has put a bit of Ustinov into his military history of Russia but the style leans heavily on the late Alan Coren and finally comet is comet. comet channels nothing and no-one but comet, blazing her own path through virtual space with almost too many examples to choose from.

I go for KenWritez because it works as well as the others but is unique on the Ship. Quite possibly unique to the Ship for that matter.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Seemed fine to me.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Poor Chorister was clearly having a humour-enfeebled day and functioning at the sophistication level of a studio canned-laughter machine in choosing this example.

She tickled me. What else was I supposed to do?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
in some circles I am known as the tickle monster.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:

Seemed fine to me.
You are such an attention whore.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not my fault. I was a neglected middle child.

--------------------

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I voted for the Hawaiian shirt even though I am another neglected middle child. His dance made me lose it.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hermes66
Shipmate
# 12156

- Posted      Profile for Hermes66   Email Hermes66   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It had to be Gildas.

Comparing Hamas to the Pathetic Sharks has made my day.

[Big Grin]

(What should the World do about Gaza? thread).

--------------------
Actually on a real ship but not all at sea

Posts: 523 | From: Amsterdam | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
a) Sine channelling Noel Coward...

Interesting--I've always seen him more as Cole Porter, but I can see your point.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

I keep hoping people will see me as Jeff Stryker, but they never do somehow.

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps a more revealing gallery pic is called for.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

I'm not sure that would help my case actually.

(Not that anyone's complaining, mind you. But there are no horses being frightened either.)

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

At least you have nice hair...

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, but since he's No Longer 20 Years Old, it may be that the nice hair just ain't where he wants it any more. At least that's what I've seen as beautiful men age.

This is gonna be a tough one.

The choosing of Wit Of The Year, I mean, not the getting rid of unwanted hair.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do I speak too quickly, or does Simon's injunction come out as Vote Twit of the Year?

FD

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see it that way every time.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
... waiting for The Wit to be revealed... the new American Prez will need a good speech-perker-upper...

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*the spotlights seem to hunt for something as they roam across the stage. Finally they come to rest, illuminating the podium.*

*to the skirl of the bagpipes, Wet Kipper takes to the stage, resplendent in his full highland outfit as he strides through the fake fog.*

Ladies and gentlemen, shipmates, trolls and lurkers!
Welcome to the award for Best Wit.
No, not a Scotsman asking you to repeat what you said, but a celebration of posts showing:
" the keen perception and cleverly apt expression of those connections between ideas that awaken amusement and pleasure."

And now, to help me present the award, would you please welcome on stage JediJudy !

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

- Posted      Profile for eeGAD   Email eeGAD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
clapping loudly and throwing in a WHOOP WHOOP for JediJudy!

--------------------
You don't fix faith. It fixes you. - Shepherd Book

Posts: 976 | From: The Land of Mary | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Through the fog comes a lady in a sparkly midnight blue gown. Her diamonds and sapphires gleaming at her throat and hands...

...she almost trips over some imaginary line...

Thank you, thank you Wet Kipper! It's a great honor to be with you here on this auspicious occasion!

whispers to WK...*Was I supposed to provide some music too, or are we just having bagpipers today??*

I know everyone will be sitting on the edges of their seats to find out who wins Wit of the Year!!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed, Judy !

By the way, would you mind holstering that light saber whilst we're up here ?

So, on to the awards
William Haslett said that "Wit is the salt of conversation, not the food.", so let's see who's the saltiest shipmate

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pokes head quickly around curtain.

Has anyone seen a sheep with little blue bows and bells?

Blasted animal!

Scurries off in a frenzy.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

<... goodness... if that fog don't clear up, they'll have to read the winner's name by sabre-light!...>

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But, but...I dressed to match my favorite lightsaber. *sigh*

OK, I'll put it away. *****ssssssss*****

Yes! Wet Kipper, you are so right. Salty Shipmates, indeed. And, for those who missed it, there were recipes. I didn't taste any Shipmates, myself, but I'm sure they're delicious!

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

- Posted      Profile for eeGAD   Email eeGAD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This presentation is making me hungry. Perhaps I should find a nosh to go with all this champagne....

--------------------

Sheep 3

Nativity Play
# 3663

- Posted      Profile for Sheep 3   Email Sheep 3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sheep3 wanders in and nibbles at JediJudy's sparkly blue gown, then gazes up adoringly.

Baaa?

*jingle*

--------------------
jlg the sheep

Posts: 278 | From: lost in a pasture | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

oh look! They're serving lamb chops!

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

Wet Kipper pulls out his skean dhu and chases the sheep offstage
"Judy, would you like to say a few words about each of the nominees?"

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

You know, WK, a lot of these Shipmates who were nominated are close to my heart! (Notice I didn't say "stomach".)

Take, for instance, comet! Our proud Alaskan! And salty to boot! She's witty and shows it in her "right to the point" posts!

And Gildas, it is amazing to learn things while laughing out loud!

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

KenWritez has always made me laugh! I'm sure that Sturdy Wench has a smile on her face from listening to Mr. Writez...not to mention a fully stocked larder of "Shipmate". I'm sure they'll always be able to serve their guests only the best!

Sine Nomine, or as he is known in the Mafia, Uncle Sine. Always correct, always funny, always using the correct utensils.

So, shall I give you the fancy envelope, Wet Kipper?

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

*sounds of bleating are heard from offstage. along with
"there's nary an animal alive that can outrun a greased Scotsman"..*

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
Wet Kipper pulls out his skean dhu and chases the sheep offstage

Aha, Sheep! Gotcha!

(jlg saves the sheep from Wet Kipper and drags it off to a waiting crowd staring at an empty stage in another auditorium.)

[ 01. February 2009, 17:50: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

jj hugs the sheep and chastizes WK for using his knife.

I thought that was a dirk, Sir!

I'm sure there is some good sheep food around here, Darlin'.

[cain't type fastly]

[ 01. February 2009, 17:50: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

* wet Kipper returns, not quite so well dressed as before.
he takes the envelope from Judy, and opens it with his (so far unused) ceremonial dagger

--------------------

eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

*drooling over shirtless man in kilt*

--------------------

Sheep 3

Nativity Play
# 3663

- Posted      Profile for Sheep 3   Email Sheep 3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While being dragged away, Sheep3 gazes longingly at JediJudy, wanting more hugs and sheep nibbles...

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

--------------------
jlg the sheep

Posts: 278 | From: lost in a pasture | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
* wet Kipper returns, not quite so well dressed as before.
he takes the envelope from Judy, and opens it with his (so far unused) ceremonial dagger

A well-made man without a shirt is always dressed for the occasion.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

"And the winner is..."
the camera pans the audience, to find the nominees. it settles on Comet in her pyjamas , having been unsuccessful in finding Sine Nomine

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

The audience goes "Awwwww" from the cuteness attack.

jj passes her sparkly blue cape to Wet Kipper so as to not destroy his pristine image, and also because Little Miss Chatterbox is looking askance at him.

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

Look! Isn't that KenWritez dancing in the mezzanine?

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

I'm sure that Gildas is in the Purgatory section, but that's a scary place for little ole me to go on a search mission...

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Oh, Lord. Does the Presenter have another cloak? He's unfairly distracting the audience...

<... eta, not Gildas, I'm sure Gildas is the very soul of proper ceremonial attire. I meant the Be-Thong-Ed One with the tassel-fringes...>

[ 01. February 2009, 18:07: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

*pausing to watch the dance, Wet Kipper forgets why he's here.*

ummmmm, okay !

"Without further ado, Ladies and Gentlemen, I have great pleasure in revealing..."

* from no-where, a sudden and large gust of wind blows across the stage*
[Eek!]

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

That's prolly the Holy Spirit on His way to the Theologian of the Year stage.

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

*ahem*

I have great pleasure in letting you all know.
the winner of Wit of the year is......

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Never mind flashing your meat and 2 veg - get a bloody move on

eta [Hot and Hormonal] Bad code. Had a wee dram (or two) while waiting

[ 01. February 2009, 18:15: Message edited by: Qlib ]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

*swigs more champagne and stares at WK's pecs*

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  New poll   Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016