homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » Awards Show on Sunday (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Awards Show on Sunday
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The conclusion of the first ever Simmies Awards will take place this Sunday between 4 and 8pm (UK time), at our glittering Awards Show. Specially invited shipmates will be walking the red carpet and presenting each of the 15 awards, all on this board. Who will win Best Avatar? Who will become Hell Denizen of the Year? Which thread will win the coveted Best Thread trophy? And who will become Host and Shipmate of the Year? Come along to find out, throw peanuts and gawp at Kate Winslet-style acceptance speeches.

We'll be sampling the polls at midnight (UK time) on Saturday night, and those samples will be taken as the definitive result of the Simmies vote. Although the polls close at 2200 (board time) on Sunday night, we want to be able to reveal the winners in the Awards Show, which is why we're closing the Simmies vote ahead of the polls closing. Any votes cast after midnight on Saturday night won't be counted... so if you haven't yet voted, now's the time!

[ 30. January 2009, 09:17: Message edited by: Simon ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds great, so long as we don't have to listen to the acceptance speeches, I would like to thank, God, Jesus, my parents, my spouse, my children, the next door neighbours, the local bus driver...and my pet hamster. [Snigger]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
...Specially invited shipmates will be walking the red carpet and presenting each of the 15 awards, all on this board.

<raises hand> As a Hell Denizen nominee, I'd be honored to present the Golden Asshat at the Awards Show.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Sounds great, so long as we don't have to listen to the acceptance speeches, I would like to thank, God, Jesus, my parents, my spouse, my children, the next door neighbours, the local bus driver...and my pet hamster. [Snigger]

If RooK wins anything, I'm inclined to think that this might not be quite the acceptance speech we end up with.

Oh and... bleurgh! I'll be stuck up a mountain at the time!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anybody in London fancy meeting in a Wetherspoons with a Laptop to get the proper Awards Ceremony effect? (Basically Drinking)

Max.

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Most Americans will be more concerned about some sort of sports event that I understand is taking place Sunday [Disappointed] .

I'll be much more interested in the results of The Simmies [Big Grin] .

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
4p to 8p UK time will be 11a to 3p on the East Coast of the US. The Super Bowl doesn't start until about 6:20p on the East Coast.

We should be able to manage both into a single day. Besides, the drinking for the Simmies will serve as a nice warm-up for the drinking for the game.

[ 30. January 2009, 13:31: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
We should be able to manage both into a single day. Besides, the drinking for the Simmies will serve as a nice warm-up for the drinking for the game.

I'll stick to the drinking and the Simmies.
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
Anybody in London fancy meeting in a Wetherspoons with a Laptop to get the proper Awards Ceremony effect? (Basically Drinking)

Max.

Hmmm, I could be tempted by this...
Once I've left w*rk for the day I'll think about the possibility-level of this. ANyone else?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here at last is absolute proof that this cannot possibly be a Christian website: he's gorn and chosen to time it bang on the time for Evensong.

This is probably not a Christian website. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Evensong lasts for 4 hours? [Eek!]
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, but we have to get there, have our rehearsal, robe, sing Evensong, try not to set ourselves alight (for it is Candlemas), talk to any potential Mystery Worshippers so they don't think we're ever so unfriendly, and then get home again. That takes up most of the time.

BTW, when you have finished enjoying the awards ceremony (I'll try to look in at the end - because of course I never go to the pub after Evensong), why not tune in to Sunday Half Hour and the RSCM singers (8.30pm, Radio 2). If you listen very carefully you might hear Mr. C. singing.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

This is probably not a Christian website. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.

[Killing me]
Thanks for that, on an unproductive Friday afternoon [Big Grin] [Killing me]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

- Posted      Profile for eeGAD   Email eeGAD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(practicing my speech) "Its an honor just to be nominated."

. . . but more importantly . . .

Will the Simmies have semi-entertaining commercials just like the Super Bowl?

eeG

--------------------
You don't fix faith. It fixes you. - Shepherd Book

Posts: 976 | From: The Land of Mary | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since I don't have a computer at home I suppose I could go to a friend's house. On the other hand I could just wait until Monday morning like I do everything else.

(I have finally made a commitment to go buy a television set tomorrow and I'm not even really sure I want to do that. Who knows where it might lead? A cell phone? Frankly I enjoy not being constantly available. It's very peaceful.)

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
Who knows where it might lead? A cell phone? Frankly I enjoy not being constantly available. It's very peaceful.

No, no, Sine! Stand firm! Don't leave me as the last person on earth without a cell phone!

(I do have a TV, but it's only for watching DVDs and videos.)

--------------------
~Tortuf

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Don't leave me as the last person on earth without a cell phone!

You wouldn't be.

quote:
(I do have a TV, but it's only for watching DVDs and videos.)

Of COURSE it is. That's what we all say...Before you know it, Sine will be watching HGTV 24/7.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

What's a cell phone?

Sounds like one of those horrid mobile thingies. Bleurgh.

I never did work out whether to press button A or button B.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:

You mean they don't have dials anymore?

--------------------
~Tortuf

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone write an excuse for me to get out of the 11:00 service? This being the more important thing to do on a Sunday morning, of course! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sure no one will notice if you have a laptop sitting at the organ with you. [Biased]
Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Chorister is showing her age. The old public telephone boxes (with dials!) used to need four pennies (that's four OLD pennies) inserted before making the call. You pressed button A to talk to the person if the call went through, and button B to get your money back if it didn't.

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

No. The button A and B thing proved too confusing - if you didn't follow the sequence exactly you could lose your money. Now, you just pick up the phone and tell the operator what exchange and number you want, as it might be, Whitehall 1212, and she does it all for you.
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I prefer to use two plastic cups and a piece of string, meself.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Really? Far too technical when a hollow log and club will suffice. Failing that, smoke signals will get your message out.

--------------------

Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I believe that's what George Bush said about the nuclear launch codes.

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Anselm:
quote:

I believe that's what George Bush said about the nuclear launch codes.
[Killing me]

--------------------
~Tortuf

eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

- Posted      Profile for eeGAD   Email eeGAD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Can anyone write an excuse for me to get out of the 11:00 service? This being the more important thing to do on a Sunday morning, of course! [Big Grin]

Papal Dispensation? Well, perhaps that won't hold much water with the Methodists.... What about a Simon Dispensation? I recommend applying for one of those.

eeG

--------------------
You don't fix faith. It fixes you. - Shepherd Book

Posts: 976 | From: The Land of Mary | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alas - will miss all the fun - in Oxford, interviewing an ordinand and preaching at evensong in Worcester College Chapel. Will have to applaud virtually and wait with bated breath to see the results.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're letting your - gulp - day job get in the way of this? Shame [Disappointed]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

Runs around backstage working on some of the finishing touches for the upcoming ceremony.

Oh, I must get home to get ready soon. Everything must be perfect - the hair, the makeup, the accessories ... And I better make sure Alan's got his outfit assembled.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by pete173:
Alas - will miss all the fun - in Oxford, interviewing an ordinand and preaching at evensong in Worcester College Chapel. Will have to applaud virtually and wait with bated breath to see the results.

can you write Judy's excuse note before you go? I think your signature might help! [Big Grin]

as for me, it will be during my earliest attacks on the coffee maker, so I'll be wearing my poshest pajama ensemble for the event. in this case, flannel jammie bottoms and aworn out Patron Tee I got from the bar.

I'll make sure to do an extra swivel on the catwalk. [Big Grin]

[ 01. February 2009, 09:57: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Pete 173, don't worry - I've found a stand-in for you. They'll never notice the difference.

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Pete 173, don't worry - I've found a stand-in for you. They'll never notice the difference.

More sinput.

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll be a bit late, but I'll be there. Do you think anyone will notice that I'll be using a pre-recorded floppy towards the end of the service? [Hot and Hormonal]

Thanks for the written excuses, I'm sure Pastor J will be very accommodating!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who will become the proud owner of one of these babies this afternoon? Watch and pray...

-

--------------------
Eternal memory

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
awww! [Yipee]

nice fingernails, boss.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How attractive is that!

I meant the award.

The nails are nice & clean, tho.

(... et-ask, what does your manicurist use to get them so shiny?... )

[ 01. February 2009, 13:20: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

He does no work.

--------------------

frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here up north, is a frenzied hive of activity. Dyfrig is resplendent in his cassock, surplice, and a fetching blue scarf. 'frin has not yet confirmed what she will be wearing, as she is distractedly rummaging through a makeup back to find just the right shade of lipstick to smear on the confessional activity at her alternative worship group tonight. Evensong and liturgical kisses could not keep this couple away from the Simmies awards. See you later.

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

[Steps up to The Simmies podium in tuxedo... taps microphone...]

Hello and welcome to The Simmies 2009, where we are celebrating the best and the gloriously worst of the boards over the past year. The votes -- all 1810 of them -- have now been counted, and we're now ready to announce the winners of each category.

Over the next four hours, our guest presenters (a big thank you to all of them!) will be awarding The Simmies on the relevant threads... so keep watching to see as the threads update. The winners are then invited to setp up to the podium to give their acceptance speeches. Once they've done that, their awards will be winging their way to them by mail.

Thank you, God bless, and enjoy the show.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Captain! My Captain!

You've been beaten to it!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Gort arrives fashionably late by limousine, steps out and waves to the paparazzi and cheering throng.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

but it is a windy day and.....

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

...the kilt flies up to reveal a smooth, featureless exoskeleton!

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yah, yah, but it's the extendable stuff folks would be interested in. Maybe at the press photo-ops after the ceremony?

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is there any chance that the could have a Master of Ceremonies? We seem to have at least three presentations underway, and we are waiting for Leaf's acceptance speech.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
Yah, yah, but it's the extendable stuff folks would be interested in. Maybe at the press photo-ops after the ceremony?

Thank you - thank you!, please...no autographs!

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doublethink hums a familiar tune.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
Thank you - thank you!, please...no autographs!

congratulations! I am thrilled for you. I always knew you would win. I voted for you as many times as I could. [Overused]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  New poll   Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016