homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » VOTE! Shipmate of the Year

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: VOTE! Shipmate of the Year
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are the nominations for Shipmate of the Year. Please remind yourself of why each person was nominated by reading the post below... and then vote for your choice.

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 189 user(s) have voted.
Voting started at board time.
Voting stopped at board time.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are the nominations, in alphabetical order, for Shipmate of the Year.

1. §Andrew

Nominated by Pooks: "§Andrew has been involved in plenty of arguments and has taken a fair amount of flack on the Ship. We have seen lesser characters flounce off as soon as some unpleasantness was flung at them, but not §Andrew. Whether I agree with his theological views or not, I have to say that I admire his tenacity and commitment to the Ship; he has stuck around. I don't know what criteria are used to judge who receives this award, but if we are prepared to go beyond a popularity contest and look at an individual's contribution that makes the Ship such a unique vessel, I think §Andrew has added plenty to the Ship's unrest by giving us his unique point of view so unyieldingly over the years."

2. babybear

Nominated by jedijudy: "Her posts are always interesting to read, but beyond that, she is a very brave woman, hosting strange 'Mercans (who eat funny) into her home. She is also one of the most caring and comforting people I have ever met."

3. comet

Nominated by Sha_Sha: "You can always count on her to say something interesting or funny, even if she doesn't agree with you. She is also a very caring person."

4. Erin

Nominated by Flausa: "Erin has neither hosted nor attended Shipmeets, but has encouraged and supported her fellow Shippies in much more subtle ways. She has ruthlessly defended this Ship against trolls and other pestilence for years. She keeps the Ship sailing smoothly with the help of a well-selected team whom she directs with the aid of her rusty farm implement. She is reviled by a number of Shipmates towards whom she has demonstrated a large quantity of mercy. Although she could press the button that makes her detractors disappear, she wields that power wisely. She participates in Shiplife by entering debates and discussions with passion (and Hellish vitriol). Through this all, she has maintained the Gator Mystique™.

Why does she do this? Because it earns her a couple of bits of white chocolate? Or possibly because she genuinely loves this Ship. To my mind, she actually deserves Shipmate of the Decade, but as Shipmate of the Year is all that's on offer, I thusly nominate her. (I would have also nominated her for Golden Asshat, because what sort of nutter takes the abuse she does for just a bit of wannabe choccie?)

Seconded by Ye Olde Motherboarde: "I have IM'd, (I miss not having time for those now) talked on the phone, e-mailed, and laughed with her for years. (We still have never met, BUT WE WILL SOMEDAY!) I think you could say that she is my oldest ship friend. We've been through a bit of angst together, but she keeps things in perspective and fights like a tigress for the ship when needed. You could say, she is the "total package" as a shipmate. I just think she is the best."

5. Grits

Nominated by Chorister: "Grits, like Kenwritez, went quiet for a while and returned after a break with more impact than ever. She appears to have the ability to simultaneously put her high-heeled stiletto on the prone, submissive bodies of RooK, KenWritez, The Bede's American Successor and probably several other less bold shipmates as well, and have them hanging on her every - erm - word. Yes, that's it, every... word.

6. jedijudy

Nominated by dolphy: "Not only does she put others before herself but she has been a solid and well loved shipmate for many years. She has also wiped many tears away when loved ones left, she has been a shoulder, a rock and one to make people laugh when they are really fed up."

7. Josephine

Nominated by Robert Armin: "I really want to nominate her for Shipmate of the Decade, rather than the year, as the posts that really stick in my mind as some of the best ever on the Ship go back a little while. She has helped me understand Orthodoxy much better, posting with wit and clarity on difficult and emotional subjects. Thanks to her there are now issues where, although I still disagree with the Orthodox line, I can see why the issue matters so much to Orthodox. I've also found her witty and courteous at all times, and would love to see her getting honoured."

8. Kelly Alves

Nominated by Amazing Grace: "Kelly has a big heart and a ready wit. Besides her work as Host, she is the heart and soul of the No-Cal (heh heh heh - she came up with that) shipmate social scene and is definitely a "hostess with the mostest". She took her Meet-and-Greet show on the road to Blighty with apparently great effect - world wide KelMeets!! (She met the Captain. I am officially jellus.) She is amazingly gracious under (a hell of a lot of) pressure and is just one of those All Around Cool People."

9. Ken

Nominated by Gracious rebel: "Basically he is the only shipmate who can tempt me to read a thread I was otherwise uninterested in, just because he was showing up as having posted on it. His comments are well researched, interesting, and generally worth listening to, and he is a mine of fascinating information."

Seconded by Marvin the Martian (among others): "He not only has strong opinions that have illuminated many threads this year, but can back them up with well-reasoned argument and debate of the highest order. And because I've never seen him act like a jerk, or flame someone when they haven't richly deserved it. But mostly because, despite the fact that he and I disagree strongly (and sometimes angrily) about politics, he is never anything other than civil and friendly at meets. Such camaraderie and friendship despite disagreement is what I think the true spirit of the Ship is all about. He would be a worthy winner of this award."

10. KenWritez

Nominated by Trudy Scrumptious: "KenWritez, always a witty, intelligent and thought-provoking poster, quietly stopped posting on the Ship at some unspecified date in the past (I honestly can't remember when). KenWritez presumably had his own reasons for leaving, and left without posting a "Goodbye Cruel Ship!" thread in Hell, All Saints, or anyplace else to draw attention to his departure. Instead, he folded his tents like the Arabs, and as silently stole away.

Subsequently, within the last few months, KenWritez returned to posting regularly, again without huge fanfare or an attention-getting announcement. Just decided it was time to do so again, and started once again honing his deadly wit and making excellent posts all over the place.

KenWritez was, long ago, the first person to virulently disagree with me on a Hell thread, and also the first person to pm me and say he liked something I'd posted to someone else in Hell. I missed his insight and humour while he was away and have laughed out loud several times and nodded my head thoughtfully a few more, at things he's posted since coming back. I'm glad he's back on board, and I'm gladdest of all that he came and went for reasons of his own without needing to be an attention whore about the whole process.

11. Matt Black

Nominated by Yerevan: "My reasons for nominating: Nice guy. Courteous, intelligent posts."

Seconded by (among others) comet: "My reasoning is because Matt could have easily been the Golden Asshat a few years back. He's proof that you can redeem yourself around here. He's become one of my favorite posters after having stuck with us through our anger at some pretty shitty behavior. I appreciate his sheer determination and willingness to slog through the slop to make up for his mistakes. Call him the Come Back Kid."

12. Mousethief

Nominated by Zwingli: "Made several thousand posts, a handful of which were worth reading, putting him above many other Shipmates. Was a good sport about the Godwin's Law video, whose jokes I have shamelessly stolen for this nomination. Proves that, on almost any subject imaginable, it is possible to have an opinion which is intelligent, educated, witty - and wrong. And mostly because, despite disagreeing with me vehemently on the boards, he is still warm-hearted, compassionate and forgiving."

13. Paddy O'Furniture

Nominated by Sha_Sha: "She is a really funny and intelligent person online or off."

14. Smudgie

Nominated by PeteC: "Over the years she has hosted an annual shipmeet on the Isle of Wight which has attracted Shippies from over the Great Britain and associated islands and from scattered places around the world. In addition to this gargantuan effort, she opens her home to stray Shippies from Australia, the Orient and the North American continent whenever they land nearby.

Seconded by (among others) JahLove: "... this is really the crux of it, though all her recent problems, she's been incredibly open and honest and has shown - to me anyway - what it is to bear such a burden with truly amazing grace, generosity of spirit and still retain a sense of humour."

15. Telepath

Nominated by Joan Rasch: She provides, as one poster put it, an "incredible ministry of prayer here on the Ship". Telepath serves as a major anchor of the All Saints Prayer requests thread by frequently posting summaries of the requested intercessions (sample here).

16. Wiff Waff

Nominated by Earwig: "Wiff Waff welcomes every newbie who posts on the noobs thread in All Saints - there must be hundreds of people whose first interaction on the Ship is with Wiff Waff. He gives a great insight into his life in India, and keeps us entertained by burning his lips with hot drill bits and hitting himself on the head while folding towels. What would we do without him?!"

17. Ye Olde Motherboarde & JB

Nominated by Janine: "Their interactions on threads aboard Ship are always gracious, humorous or sympathetic or wry or aghast, as needed. Their interactions IRL, among the throng of Shipmates they've brought together in various Meet contexts, are just as wonderful -- with the added facet of being so doggone healthy for us.

Hanging with them is like an Olympics. They're always embroiling Shipmates in traveling or touring or hiking or trotting up and down foothills on a Rent-A-Horse, driving zippy cars around hairpin curves, not to mention Marathon Shopping and Iron Man Triathlon Dining... They, each, are lovely. Together, they're a delight.

Seconded by Pigwidgeon: "YOM (with her sidekick, JB) host the Santa Fe Shipmeet every summer. I haven't made it yet, but it seems to be the biggest and best Shipmeet of the year. YOM also keeps track of everyone's "Birthdays, Saints Days and Just Fun Days" and is just a ray of sunshine on these Boards."

[corrected nomination detail]

[ 21. January 2009, 07:40: Message edited by: Flausa ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sigh...sometimes it's no fun doing the right thing.

Simon: Makepiece's endorsement for SotY was mistakenly pasted into my section. I checked the board and it should go in ken's.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Console yourself with the thought that your reward will be in heaven, Kenwritez. [Angel]
(If ken doesn't get there and claim it first....)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
Sigh...sometimes it's no fun doing the right thing.

Humble self-promotion for Shipmate of the Year. [Killing me]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, Gort, no self-promotion intended. I truly was bummed to point out the mistake because I had enjoyed Makepiece's endorsement so much! I had to let out the belt around my ego a few notches. lolol.... But I couldn't let the mistake stand, it wasn't right. I only did what I think ken or anyone else nominated would have done in my position.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spoken like a true Shipmate of the Year! [Snigger]

[I voted for your cannibal arse, BTW.]

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are some very fine nominees. [Overused]

I guess this will be the last of the awards. [Angel]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

*A fanfare of trumpets blasts out from the Poop Deck Orchestra*

Shipmates and Apprentices, Hosts and Admins, please be upstanding for the Shipmate of the Year Award! Please put your hands together, or jingle your jewellery, and give a huge and monstrous Ship of Fools welcome to my co-presenter for this prestigious award... the lovely, the ever fragrant... frin!

--------------------
Eternal memory

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

[rises from torpor to sit at attention]

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm on tenthooks. I can't stand the suspenders.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay frin!

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'frin emerges from the wings, wearing what can only be described as the cutting edge of contemporary church clothing with a catwalk twist.

This little number is a floorlength red dress, with a puddle train, studded with rose petals to symbolise the gifts we drop at the feet of our lord. The dress is cut to the thigh, and underneath a torn stocking demonstrates solidarity with women sold into sex-traffiking. The neckline is high, and surrounded with beads, draped in rosary chain details, to represent our constant offering of prayer. The yellow earings are suggestive of shaped post-it notes, and yes, I think the lettering of intercessions written in the languages of the Ship of Fools community can just be made out.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
frin

# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just want to thank everyone here, for such an amazing ceremony. You are the people who make Ship of Fools a wonderful place to spend time, make friends, argue theology, and learn about the breadth of ideas shared in this world.

The awards have been made, the bottles of celebratory bubbly cracked open, and now it is time to turn our attention to Simon, the man who makes all things possible, who upholds this board and all who sail in her, the man himself... Simon.

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<... wow... prayer-earrings instead of prayer-wheels... amazing...>

--------------------

Simon

Editor
# 1

'frin's detachment of processing eunuchs, symbolising giving our all to the lord, now leaves the stage

The lights dim...

--------------------
Eternal memory

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Gort attempts to clear "detachment - eunuchs" from his memory banks.

--------------------

Simon

Editor
# 1

Aw thanks, 'frin... that's way too generous.

What is it that makes someone a good Shipmate? Anyone can make those first 50 posts and shed their Apprentice status, but what are the qualities we all admire and make someone not just a good Shipmate, but exceptional? Someone who makes the Ship a great place to be? Here are just a few of the qualities talked about in the nominations...

The good Shipmate posts with wit, clarity and courteousness... is amazingly gracious under pressure... is someone who tempts others to read a thread they weren't otherwise interested in... is someone who puts a high-heeled stiletto on the prone submissive bodies of...

Who wrote this script?

... is a mine of information... is civil and friendly even after disagreeing online... has insight and humour... is warm-hearted, compassionate and forgiving...

well, you get the general idea. Being an exceptionally good Shipmate isn't easy. That's why we're really thrilled to be presenting this award to the person who has given so much to the Ship, and to all of us, in this past year.

Isn't that right, 'frin?

--------------------
Eternal memory

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

<... I was referring to the earrings on 'frin, of course... Simon's earrings are much more understated...>

--------------------

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Get on with it!

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...a nervous titter runs through the crowd...
eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

- Posted      Profile for eeGAD   Email eeGAD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
holds breath in anticipation, also to try to get rid of the champagne hic-cups

--------------------
You don't fix faith. It fixes you. - Shepherd Book

Posts: 976 | From: The Land of Mary | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
frin

# 9

< 'frin leans towards the microphone, accompanied by the gentle chinking of the tibetan prayer cymbals tied onto her waistband>

A shipmate of the year is someone who is well known across the boards - as familiar in the Circus as in Kerygmania, who tries to be precise in Purgatory and harmonious in Heaven. In posting and in person, such a shipmate is always worth your attention.

To be held in our affections, such a shipmate is not afraid of controversial issues, but is also part of the celebrations and conversations that hold us together here on Ship of Fools.

The winner of our contest tonight is familiar to many people from Shipmeets, and always willing to talk with anyone. This shipmate offers advice and insight.

A shipmate of the year does not need to be someone everyone agrees with, but is definitely someone whose posts are worth reading, and who takes time to argue and explain, and who creates posts that are memorable. Such a shipmate is someone you could respect, even if they called you to Hell, and whose recent post list is a must click link.

... Simon <'frin looks to her co-host>

[ 01. February 2009, 19:25: Message edited by: frin ]

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
....?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

Yes...

Tears open the golden envelope...

It's our pleasure to announce that our first-ever winner of Shipmate of the Year is the recently returned...

Ken!

--------------------
Eternal memory

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whopeee!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Go Ken! I never had any doubts. [Overused]

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hurrah!

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

- Posted      Profile for eeGAD   Email eeGAD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
congratulations Ken!!
[Overused]

--------------------
You don't fix faith. It fixes you. - Shepherd Book

Posts: 976 | From: The Land of Mary | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very good choice. He's been here forever, he's all over the boards, he's always even-tempered, and he always seems to know what he's talking about. Congrats, Ken!

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
frin

# 9

Ken, you are a shipmate whose post on a thread can make me look, even when the thread title didn't capture my imagination.

You are generous with your guidance, based on your experience as a Reader in the church and a researcher in your working life.

Your politics and your theology are only a part of your immense contribution to life on Ship of Fools. Your creativity, care, and your willingness to offer correction to Shipmates called to hell are also valued.

You are a man with whom it is always a pleasure to share a pint, or a glass of Pimms, so allow me now to congratulate you on winning the award of Shipmate of the Year 2008.

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay!
Gives a shrill redneck whistle, with fingers between teeth!

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

CONGRATULATIONS!

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ken - fantastic!!! Well done!!!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hurrah, Ken! More power to your excellent and informative posts!

cheers,
Louise

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who's ken?

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

D'ye no ken ken?

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations, ken! Well deserved. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A worthy winner indeed [Big Grin]

(man, it's easy to be happy for the winners at these things when you weren't one of the nominees yourself! [Biased] )

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doublethink wonders if copying Ken's hairstyle would get her a nomination in this category next year, probably not ...

Congrats Ken [Smile]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh gosh. er hmm, wow.

Is this a Christian web award?

I think I'd just like to thank everybody who voted for me, everybody who voted for anyone else, God, my parents, Erin, Noel Coward, Simon, the other Ken, Fuller's brewery, (and Harvey's. McEwan's, Brain's, Beard's (which no longer exists), Gales, Adnams, Shepherd Neame, M&B, etc) the cats, the cat's fluffy toys, the BNP for providing hours of endless fun, Stephen Fry, Victor von Doom, William Morris, Eugene Debs. Emma Goldman, James Connolly, Keir Hardie, John Burns, Joe Hill, Aneirin Bevan, Dorothy Day, Jennie Lee, Francis Wahome, Mr Haslam, Dave Bellamy, Andrew and Angela Milner, Jim Taylor-Page, Mel Henton, Johan Pachelbel, Felix Mendelsohn, Richard Wagner, Jimi Hendrix, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Sibelius, Frank Bridge, porridge, the Royal Navy, the US Marine Corps, the New Model Army, the Australian Light Horse, the Hypaspists, Fanny Crosby, Fanny Trollope, Fanny Craddock, GK Chesterton. Rudyard Kipling, Hilaire Belloc, Shirley Collins, the whole Copper family, Emeric Pressburger, poplar trees in general, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Shuggie the Haggis Monster, Billie Holliday, Edith Piaf, Shirley Collins, Anne Briggs, and Norma Waterson, Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Will Eisner, Herge, and Jean Giraud, John Ray, Martin Lloyd, Carl von Linne, Charles Darwin, PH Gosse, JH Fabre, Aldo Leopold, Ronald Fisher, Ernst Mayr, John Maynard Smith, Bilbo Baggins, Mum, Gran, cousin Pat, Kevin, Pete, & uncle Frank, the Lambton Worm, Joan Sebastian Bach, Christina Rossetti, Graham Kendrick, Tim Hughes, Dante, the girl who invented cheese, Dad, Andy. Kevin, Carl, Mark, Pete, Mike, Mick, Nick, Dick, Bill Brewer, Jan Stewer, Peter Gurney, Peter Davy, Dan'l Whiddon, Harry Hawke, Teddy, Tumper and Mo-mom, Pugin, Waterhouse, Scott, Shaw, Horta, Mackintosh, Gaudi, Lubetkin, Hundertwasser, Soleri, Erskine, Makovecz, Barr's (for Irn Bru), Jessica Alba for making it worthwhile to watch the Fantastic Four movies with the sound turned down while remembering the original stories which were much better, Robert Burns, Henry Vaughan, TS Eliot, the colour green, Tony, Patrick, Adam, Martin, Dave, Dave, Dave, Dave and Dave, Griff, Chris, Teddy, Ed, Sarah, J Scott Skinner, Niel Gow, Runrig, Blind Mary of the Isles, Thomas Malory, Geoffrey Chaucer, the Gawain poet, most weasels, Maggie, Tracy, Jenny, Maggie, Liz, Liz, Anne, Ruth, Maggie, Christina, Maggie, Allen Ginsberg, Robert Louis Stevenson, JRR Tolkien, Saint Nicholas of Myra, Saint Bicholas of Cyra, Father Christmas, Santa Claus, the Sprit of Christmas Past, Geoff Ryman, Terry Pratchett, UK le Guinn, CJ Cherryh, Iain Banks, Iain M Banks, Ken MacLeod, John Crowley, John Brunner, John Henry, John Thomas, and uncle Tom Cobbley and all

er, and hmmm hah, oh [weeps] I didn't know how the votes were going cos I was banned at the time

[Hums] "the more it snows, tiddly pom..."

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

[Overused]

(You forgot to mention Holy Magnus Bollokides!)

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done, Ken, and great acceptance speech!

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

Congrats to my namesake! Even though you're a socialist, your wit, galactic-class grasp of minutae and obscure knowledge, your common sense and intolerance for crap always entertain and educate me.

I'd like to think you'd let me hide in your basement come the Revolution.

[ 02. February 2009, 11:24: Message edited by: KenWritez ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations ken on your award (and your bid for the next "Post of the Year").

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huzzah, Ken!

And you even mentioned Runrig *tear in corner of eye*

Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Holy Crow, Ken,

That was the speech to end all speeches. EVER! [Overused]
Even though, I wasn't mentione in the list, I'm just thrilled that JB and I were in the running with you. (albiet, with 10 votes versus your impressive numbers) [Overused]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
God- DAMN, you dark horse you! [Overused] [Eek!] [Yipee]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll   Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016