homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » VOTE! The Golden Asshat Award

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: VOTE! The Golden Asshat Award
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are the Ship's very own nominations for The Golden Asshat Award. Please see the post below for the nominated threads... and then vote for your choice.

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 124 user(s) have voted.
Voting started at board time.
Voting stopped at board time.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are the nominations, in chronological order, for The Golden Asshat Award. Please click and read if possible before casting your vote!

1. Golden Asshat Award (the original thread for nominations, now removed from The Simmies board)

2. Golden Asshat (Hell)

3. The Golden Asshat Award (The Styx)

4. You're all Asshats, the lot of you (Hell)

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Long time reader, first time poster.

I am writing to express my concern that management may not have fully considerd the implications of the effect of community voting for one of these threads. The contributors to the threads in question may become distressed if a thread they have contributed to wins this award.
Could it perhaps be possible to vote for the board on which the thread occurs instead, thus not potentially vilifying a particular thread.

Thankyou,
Concerned of Antipodes

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Too late to have the voting thread included in the nominations, methinks, Patdys! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gort slides down rope from ceiling to the stage and shuffles over to the microphone...

Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen! Doublethink has joined me to present perhaps the most contentious award of the ceremony. A sad visage of its original intention, this award has been reduced to memorializing the heated discussion that quickly followed the original "Golden Asshat Award" for an individual shipmate (subsequently removed by protest).

All that remains are the two threads generated by shipmates who felt moved to voice their angst and concern over the recipient being permanently labeled a pariah (and Alan Cresswell's angry response to the shipwreck that followed).

Personally, I would have been proud to receive the original award as recognition of nearly five years of dedicated effort to maintain my aura of disgruntled disaffection. But, alas, it's not to be. So without further ado...

The thread nominees are:

The original "Golden Asshat Award" in the Simmies (deleted).

"Golden Asshat" by fletcher christian posted in Hell, Dec.11, 10:50am.
quote:
I'm not overly fussed about the simmies, but I couldn't help but notice that the asshat award is the only truly negative one. Essentially you might as well tar and feather someone and permanently label them as shittiest person on board. I hate to say it, but I suspect this will turn into a bout of bullying, nasty remarks and general unpleasantness.
"The Golden Asshat award" by Eliab posted in Styx, Dec.11, 2:21pm.
quote:
I think that this is a bad idea. I don’t know whether it was conceived as a bit of end-of-year fun, in the same way as most of the other awards, but after two nominations, it quite clearly isn’t being used as just light-hearted banter. It is, essentially, an invitation to make as nasty a personal attack as one’s wits allow on the Shipmate one likes the least.
"You're all Asshats, the lot of you" posted by Alan Cresswell in Hell, Dec.16, 5:53am.
quote:
For the sake of strict adherence to the rules (and, why didn't you kick up a big fuss about Shipmate of the Year and the other threads that wouldn't normally be allowed?) and 'oooh, we've got to be nice to each other' you managed to succeed in turning a bit of fun into a train wreck from which there was no rescuing the original intention...

So, we lost a place to acknowledge the eccentric people who add spice to the general flavour of the Ship, those who help make us who we are and remind us that God made some quite interesting people. Instead we got a mini-Hell, with fresh attacks launched on nominees, 'unfinished business' from Hell threads resurfacing and attempts to settle scores.

I now turn the microphone over to our lovely Doublethink who will make the announcement! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doublethink enters, following a momentary delay to locate the envelope, she makes her way upto Gort to stand at the podium.

Thank you Gort. The Simmie goes to ...

There is a dramatic pause

You're all asshats, the lot of you

Doublethink places the Award on the podium for the boldest to claim.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done, Doublethink! Congratulations to the lot of you! [Overused]

--------------------

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<bites fingernails>

Hopes there won't be any protests and catcalls.

Notices lots of fluffy bunnies in the audience.

This one could go either way!

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

[Gort dodges tomatoes and rotten fruit as he shuffles off stage to avoid the baying mob]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doublethink waits to see who will take the Golden Asshat, its real goldleaf that

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With surprising speed, dogwonderer, Faust, and Yorick simultaneously clamber up onto the stage and shove their way past Security, dramatically grabbing the Golden Asshat Award from Doublethink (pausing to kiss her beautiful cheek), and, blowing a loud raspberry and thumbing their noses at the audience and side-stage dignitaries, make off with it before anyone has the chance to stop them.

Everyone knows we deserve it. The (Unofficial) Golden Asshat Award is ours!

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

[Killing me] Awww, RATS! I was hoping to claim it after everyone had left, you sneaky devil!

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are they going to keep it each at their own house for a third of each year? Or are they going to all move in together and thus be with their Simmie always?

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
The (Unofficial) Golden Asshat Award is ours!

Run, Doggie, run like the wind [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
{... and if they do all move in together, will the psychiatrist who was integrating them now lose his publisher's advance on the book he was writing about them?

Heck, the shrink will now no longer be able to pay for his own counseling, much less the brain-bleach...}

[ 01. February 2009, 17:03: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... and if they do all move in together, will the psychiatrist who was integrating them now lose his publisher's advance on the book he was writing about them?
I think we have established that she is already in therapy.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're all Asshats. The lot of you.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can die happy. [Axe murder]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a kind of unholy trinity, isn't it? (Or am I thinking of Fluffy, the three-headed dog?)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
You're all Asshats. The lot of you.

You cannot believe how long I've waited to see Alan Cresswell say that.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mmm. It’s so shiny and nice.

He he he he.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All hail doggie!

[Overused]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Ouch! He didn't mean stones! Stop that!

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
With surprising speed, dogwonderer, Faust, and Yorick simultaneously clamber up onto the stage and shove their way past Security, dramatically grabbing the Golden Asshat Award from Doublethink (pausing to kiss her beautiful cheek),

Which cheek might that be?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
how high can a beagle reach?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

How low can a Doublethink sink?

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Doublethink is in the process of getting up.

I heard that !

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My fear for you all is that the Golden Asshat may be very much like a Boojum.

You could all disappear forever leaving only DoS to amuse us. [Help]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):

How dare you?! I am most certainly not a geometric pattern on the surface of one of the phases of superfluid helium-3, whose motion can result in the decay of a supercurrent, resulting from a monopole singularity in the bulk of the liquid being drawn to, and then "pinned" on a surface!

If you want to diss me that, kindly take it to Hell.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Doublethink is in the process of getting up.

I heard that !

If you really look like that, madam, I'd gladly kiss all your cheeks!

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):

How dare you?! I am most certainly not a geometric pattern on the surface of one of the phases of superfluid helium-3, whose motion can result in the decay of a supercurrent, resulting from a monopole singularity in the bulk of the liquid being drawn to, and then "pinned" on a surface!

If you want to diss me that, kindly take it to Hell.

No, no. After you last er eruption I think you need help.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll   Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016