homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » Best Opening Post

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Best Opening Post
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Writing an outstanding OP is a great art. You might have the best thread idea since the Stone Age, but without a sharp OP it can go the way of the dinosaur before anyone's replied. So which OP stands out for you in the past year?

When nominating on this thread, please follow the format shown in the next post. If you don't have all the info you need to complete the nomination fields, you're not yet ready to nominate. Just make a regular post asking for the help of others in finding what you're looking for.

Please note: Your nomination post should simply contain your nomination and nothing else.

[ 11. December 2008, 08:53: Message edited by: Simon ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Shipmate's board name

For: Best Opening Post

On the thread: Thread title

Thread URL: Insert clickable link here

My reasons for nominating: Your comments in full here

[ 11. December 2008, 08:53: Message edited by: Simon ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Curiosity killed ...

On the thread: Crusading or not?

Thread URL: here

My reasons for nominating: This is a wonderfully understated and very well-observed dissection of a Shipmate's style, just as damning as any f-bomb-laden rant. It's all the better for never naming the subject of the OP, or even needing to. Where many OPs in Hell are akin to enormous mallets, this is a scalpel wielded with careful precision.

Thank you.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Spiffy

On the thread: Mystery in the Cathedral!

Thread URL: we all love a good mystery

My reasons for nominating: This is such a well-framed OP. It starts with the name of the thread, including the exclamation mark, which makes you want to look. It continues with: here is what to look for and here is a bigger picture, both with clear links. Then there is some information from the site, followed by a quote. The last comment is class - not at all bossy, but persuasively inviting us to look and comment: 'All right, pumpkins, have at it!' With a well-written OP like that, I bet a lot of people who aren't knowledgeable about tat at all couldn't resist taking a peek and wonder whodunnit.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm going to assume there will be Simmies next year and start a file of favorite OPs. I know there are some other good ones out there, but my brain is old and sieve-like. [Frown]

[ 22. December 2008, 22:24: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooof ... found this thread burried at the bottom. I've blown the dust off so that our presenters can make their revelations when they arrive.
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[tangent]Erm. Are presenters supposed to be presenting on the nominating thread or the polling thread? If the former, my partner in presentation and I are going to have to shuffle our way to the correct stage.[/tangent]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doublethink arrives from the other stage.

I am delighted to be here with § Andrew to present this hotly contested award. Opening posts are often the product of many minutes of careful thinking, and people really do get insufficient credit.

I shall now hand over to my good friend § to announce the winner ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you Doublethink. It's an honor to present this award with you. You are just shining!

Ladies and Gentlemen, are you as excited about this as I am? There is a spark of electricity in the atmosphere, as the mystery is going to be resolved. This is certainly a historical moment!

He slices envelope with his teeth.

Without further ado, the Best Opening Post Award goes to:

climaxing music plays on the background

Spiffy, Mystery in the Cathedral!

If she was almost famous, she's truly famous now! Congratulations Spiffy!

Andrew sheds a tear of joy, as the memories from that opening thread, and from that mysterious picture come to mind... Yes, he was one of those who where actually there, in Ecclesiantics, when that historical post was published!

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
baa, baaa, baaaa

I mean, clap, clap, clap!

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And what a fantastic moment that was, thank you §. Now we can only wait to hear the author's thoughts, and I am sure they will be worth waiting for.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<whistles> WooHOOO, Spiff! Nice work!

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The crowd is ecstatic as one of these children (the one on the far left of the picture) gets to stand at the podium holding the impressive award, ready for the winner to accept the much-envied prize!

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Tear] How sweet...

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*bows to her adoring fans*

I couldn't have had a memorable post if the rest of y'all hadn't worked so hard to keep it at the top of Eccles for so long. Thanks!

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Things with lots of fiber in do tend to float. [Smile]

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll   Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016