homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Erin Memorial page

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Erin Memorial page
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A link to the memorial page for Erin, displayed when the Ship was dressed for her funeral today.

http://shipoffools.com/erin.html

[ 11. May 2011, 16:52: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Simon. I still have that page open and was going to save it, but of course I would lose it in a computer meltdown sooner or later ...
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

- Posted      Profile for Squibs   Email Squibs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's good to finally see the face of the person who was (and remains) such a guiding influence on these boards.
Posts: 1124 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Simon. I was unexpectedly free to pray at the right time, and so appreciated having the page there as part of the prayer.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
A link to the memorial page for Erin, displayed when the Ship was dressed for her funeral today.

Please Mr Editor Sir:

Could you pin this photo page to Limbo when, in the course of time, the Erin Board is shut down?

Thanks

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just wondering whether there might be a sort of memorial gallery somewhere. I don't think we have a photo of Miss Molly, but we do have pictures of most of the other shipmates who have died, I think. It could be a way of commemorating them - perhaps with a brief biog but comments turned off, which might also be a useful explanation for shipmates who join subsequently and don't know who older members are referring to.

Anyway, just an idea, but ISTM it would be nice for people to be able to pop in to a commemorative area now and again, especially when some of the deceased have played such a major part during their time on the boards.

Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure I remember seeing a photo of Miss Molly at some point.

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
QuietMBR
Shipmate
# 8845

- Posted      Profile for QuietMBR   Email QuietMBR   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Simon.

--------------------
"My Jesus would never be accepted in my church...the blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpets." Todd Agnew

Posts: 298 | From: Middle Atlantic, USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have saved that picture. It has made me shed a tear, and anyone who knows me will know that is an event.
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saved it too. I can see why she might not have posted it (besides the nutters, I mean)--looks way too nice to rip huge chunks of flesh out of a troll's behind. [Snigger]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you so much.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the idea, Ariel... it's a good one. A separate Memorial board might be a good way to do this, with threads containing photos and tributes for shipmates who have died. Having a single place on the Ship where we can gather them together would be really valuable, I think.

PeteC, I'll make sure the page is always accessible, in some form or other.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A memorial page should also include shipmates whose death has come to our notice, not just the Great and the Glitterati. I can think of two or three who might be missed by a smaller subset of people, but whose lives deserve some commemoration.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin looked just like I pictured her. Thank you Simon.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:

Please Mr Editor Sir:

Could you pin this photo page to Limbo when, in the course of time, the Erin Board is shut down?

Thanks

quote:
A memorial page should also include shipmates whose death has come to our notice, not just the Great and the Glitterati. I can think of two or three who might be missed by a smaller subset of people, but whose lives deserve some commemoration.

As a founding mother or the Ship's Boards, maybe one of the boards should be retained in her name (maybe even this one) and put to particularly Erinesque use e.g. (off the top of my head) chewing up and planking trolls who get ejected from Hell? Equally, it could be some kind of memorial forum for deceased shipmates as PeteC suggests.

Whatever, all great institutions honour their most distinguished personalities by naming some edifice after them. Surely Erin merits such a privilege on the Ship.
But maybe this has all been said elsewhere.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Simon!

quote:

If they were shipmates, and we are told of their death, then they should have a place in a Ship's memorial gallery/page/board whatever their post count. There can be a lot of untold stories sometimes.

(I'd hate to think that post count would be a criterion for admission into the Hall of the Dead.)

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think a memorial board is a good idea. Stoo and I also wondered about an annual memorial service (like the one in the cafe yesterday) for shipmates that have died, both the ones we know about, and those that we don't.

Jen

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks for the idea, Ariel... it's a good one. A separate Memorial board might be a good way to do this, with threads containing photos and tributes for shipmates who have died. Having a single place on the Ship where we can gather them together would be really valuable, I think.

Sort of a virtual columbarium...

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liki the idea of an annual memorial service, and I will try to get Java fixed on my PC so I can ber present in future. All Saints seems the obvious time for this Anglican, but maybe the feat day of St Simeon, patron saint of the Ship, would be more apporpriate.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

I like that, Robert. We've always been a bit stuck for what to do with St Simeon's Day. It's 21 July.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thats a good idea.

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since posting last I've been rereading Calling Erin to Hell. It did me a power of good, and I would recommend it to other Shipmates (but there are 16 pages, so it will take a while). Not only is it very funny, with wonderful contributions by a whole range of people, but it was bracing to be reminded of Erin as she really was - not sweet and loved by all, but sharp, cutting and invigorating. How she will be missed.....

[ 08. January 2011, 14:28: Message edited by: Robert Armin ]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just read it myself. Wow -- seems a long time ago, circa pre-JohnBoot. I had forgotten it was the famous "retard" thread, too, and I loved the references to "taking offense in the style of...", etc. What fun, and it looks like it raised a good bit of money, too.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish I had the computer skills to compile a map showing everywhere that prayers or meets took place in Erin's memory.

I think it would be amazing.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I wish I had the computer skills to compile a map showing everywhere that prayers or meets took place in Erin's memory.

I think it would be amazing.

Moo

I'm just looking at a thing on Google maps that might allow it. But my techy skills aren't great either..!

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is already a swamp lights map up - don't know if the ideas could be combined ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
There is already a swamp lights map up - don't know if the ideas could be combined ?

Well that shows how much attention I was paying, before I started my own Swamp Lights map!

I see it now! Thanks ecumaniac.

[ 08. January 2011, 17:27: Message edited by: Viola ]

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be great if we could have a global map with glowing lights on it for the swamp lights and little boats or crosses for the meets and prayer services held. Way beyond anything I could do, but I can dream....

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Viola:
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:

Well that shows how much attention I was paying, before I started my own Swamp Lights map!

I see it now! Thanks ecumaniac.

It's publicly editable. I just haven't had time this weekend to update it myself.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither of the maps posted on the Swamp Lights thread seem to be working for the hoi polloi. Perhaps a separate thread for the maps should be started so all this techie discussion doesn't derail things?
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of our English Shipmates, a friend of ours, posted her photo on Facebook. I saw it yesterday. Good to see it here too.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Simon. A fitting tribute. And thanks for giving us the ability to see the page.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Simon.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have put up a largely working map using Googlemaps.

However if a final map is wanted I would actually want to do things different. Firstly that map is a cludge, something I knew enough to get it working but it is a simple approach and I have used fixes so anyone else editing it may struggle with things like the candle votive.

Secondly it relies on Google storing the data, now Google aren't likely to disappear over night but I am cautious over having the data editable by anyone over the long term.

I am not a google map expert, this is close to the limit of my knowledge, it would need someone who is familiar with the Google api which would allow us to store the base knowledge and to plot it on Google maps.

The first stage is to get a copy of the data off that site and to put it somewhere safe.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jengie,
That is amazing.

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you so much for posting her photo.

But I expected her to look more like an alligator for some reason.

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There have been some comments referencing Erin chomping on various Persons in Heaven and I had a different mental image so I put together this image; obviously YMMV.

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only just discovered this (I'm not as frequent a visitor to the ship as I used to be...)

RIP Erin.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Punk the Pious:
Thank you so much for posting her photo.

But I expected her to look more like an alligator for some reason.

I posted this elsewhere, but it would probably be more fitting here:

This sign, spotted in Bath today, made me smile and remember a certain person.

Four-and-a-half inches - seriously big teeth!
Proceed with caution, indeed. [Eek!]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rosemary
Shipmate
# 100

- Posted      Profile for rosemary   Author's homepage   Email rosemary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only found out because Chalky told me. RIP Erin. She made a huge contribution to the ship. It was good to see the photo too, Simon.

--------------------
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Confucius

Posts: 743 | From: cardiff | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers and thoughts continuing to ascend for Erin.

I imagined her looking kind of like ... don't laugh, now, but sort of like a tough-talking female detective from something noir. Think Carmen Sandiego, but blonde, with a voice like Ruby, the Galactic Gumshoe from ZBS' radio dramas. Zapping trolls...

[Tear]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She had a warm voice.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What sad and shocking news. She was one of a kind and made every thread she posted on worth reading.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016