homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Five years in Heaven

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Five years in Heaven
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Five years ago today our dear Shipmate, Miss_Molly, went to Heaven. I hope we can share some of our special memories of this compassionate and wonderful woman.

For those that did not know her, Fields of Gold is one of the threads that may help you to understand our affection for Molly. And why we miss her so. I confess that I've only been able to read some of the thread in the last year or two. And never the whole story, ever, as I dissolve in tears, even to this day.

Let me tell you a marvelous thing! Many of you participated in the Quilt Project. It was my great honor to join the two halves of the quilt, the UK/European half with the US/Australia half. I then sent it to St. Sebastian who had been faithfully caring for Molly and visiting her in our stead. He posted pictures for us to share in the joy of the giving and receiving of Molly's quilt...IIRC!

St. Sebastian was the angel who called me minutes after Molly went home. There are other angels who held me up at that time, on the phone and in the cafe. Tomb was such a comfort. And without ruining her reputation, Erin was so kind and compassionate, and I was and am grateful to her forever.

As you can tell, I hold St. Sebastian in the highest esteem!

Fast forward a few years, and the dear man ends up here in My Fair Town! Because of Molly, I have made a wonderful IRL friend (two, with his Archangel partner!) and he's brightened my life and lifted my spirits!

Truly this is a God-incidence.

Thank you, Miss_Molly for the continuing gift of friendship and love.

[ 11. May 2011, 16:11: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't seem possible it's been five years. In addition to Fields of Gold, the Mystery Worship of Miss Molly's funeral and a photo of the quilt is here.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it five years? Surely not that long!

Dear Molly, I hope you are resting in God's peace.

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm supposed to be at w*rk, but wanted to read the "Hamster Ball" posts again. There are tears all over my face from laughing and crying! [Tear]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
5 years? It seems like both yesterday and a lifetime ago. [Frown]

Each time I read any parts of Fields of Gold I'm reminded of why I've stayed aboard so long. There really is something special about this place.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fields of Gold is such an uplifting thread.

I joined the Ship too late to know Miss Molly in any other way than reading it.

But through it she continues to spread joy and encouragement.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
Each time I read any parts of Fields of Gold I'm reminded of why I've stayed aboard so long. There really is something special about this place.

Exactly the way I feel too. It was such a privilege to share that time with Molly and with others on the Ship. [Tear]
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Five years have gone by so fast. Glad I got to chat with her in the Old Cafe™

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hils
Shipmate
# 2251

- Posted      Profile for Hils     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst doing the housework yesterday I heard "Fields of Gold" in the background of a TV programme and I thought of Molly. I said to myself that it must have been about this time of year that she went to heaven but I can't believe it is 5 years.
It still brings a lump to my throat. [Tear]

Posts: 470 | From: Surrey | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll always remember the prayer-vigil thread for Miss Molly.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the whole experience taught me to tell the valued people in my life just how loved they are, whilst they are still with me.

I loved that whilst I was vacationing in the USA, I got to phone her a couple of times!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't seem that long ago... though of course I know it was shortly after I met Mr Spouse, which was also 5 years ago.

[Votive]

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't realize it's been five years either. I drifted away from SOF a while back and only signed on again a few days ago.

I remember and cherish the nights I chatted with Miss_Molly on IM, trading gross and funny nursing stories.

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, five years. It seems more recent than that.
Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Welcome back, Willyburger!)

I just went and reread the Collected PMs from Miss Molly... mostly about cats and a favorite park. What a good, kind soul, and what a privilege to know her.

[Votive] May light perpetual shine upon her.

Ross [Tear]

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I, sadly, did not follow the threads at the time [various life things intruding], but when I got back from "real life" it proved to me what a caring community the Ship is.

May Miss Molly's memory be eternal!
[I am sure it will be.]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The prayer vigil thread really moved me - it reminded me of the hymn 'The day Thou gavest, Lord, is ended' as prayer went up for Molly from various parts of the world round the clock.

Simon filmed Chukovsky and myself putting together the UK part of the quilt. Not sure if that footage ever saw the light of day?

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Willyburger! It's wonderful to see you again!

Molly was in the hospital for a persistent "pneumonia" at the same time I had surgery on my ankle. During my recovery time, she and I spent a lot of time PMing and talking on the phone. Always gracious, she was thanking me for entertaining her during those days. Pshaw. She was the one who was keeping me from going off my rocker at that time!!

She had such a wicked and fabulous sense of humor. Many times my face and stomach hurt from laughter.

Miss_Molly Revelations is one of my favorite threads for laugh therapy.

--------------------

Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Five years. Before she passed on I had a last conversation with her. She was very week. She was on MSN. I offered to ring but she just said she could not manage that.
I loved her, she reminded me of Gods promise and saw the child I was going to have. She saw me as a mother. It meant so much to me. She is as far as I know on my MSN but I can not use it on this computer. [Axe murder] [Tear] [Votive] had a candle burning for her in her last days on earth.

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I still have PMs and emails from her and her address in my Hotmail contact list. She has been joined by another sweetheart I "met" in much the same way -- and an uncle of mine with whom I had renewed my childhood acquaintance via email --

I am building up quite the little gallery of email memorials. [Frown] Time goes by, it does, and we are all on the road to each our own end, for sure, if not The End. I take a lot of comfort in that, actually, and wish the same for everyone. I know Molly wasn't scared, either, bless her.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Genevičve

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Genevičve   Email Genevičve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am too new to have known Miss Molly...however, when i stumbled upon the Fields of Gold thread I read it and cried, and kept reading and crying.
I felt so very privileged--there really aren't words--to be able to just read along on her journey that so many of you so faithfully shared.

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember playing the whole Eva Cassidy Songbird album the night Miss Molly left us. It struck me then as a fitting memorial, particularly 'Wayfaring Stranger'. "I'm only goin' over Jordan, I'm only goin' over home."

This morning on the radio they played "One More Sleep Till Christmas" from The Muppet Christmas Carol. I love that movie anyway, but I associate it with her, as I remember her posting that she drew great comfort from it.

(I assume it's Brian Henson voicing Kermit? He has just that same note of wistfulness in the voice that his father gave it - always gives me a lump in the throat.)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard that too, Gill H.

She may longer be with us here but she is, forever in our hearts and never ceases to amaze me with the small gifts she leaves!

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bagpuss

Magical saggy cloth cat
# 2925

- Posted      Profile for Bagpuss     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow doesn't seem that long ago.
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly is still a bright and shining memory. I will always treasure the one phone call I made to her, and the conversation we had. She seemed so pleased that I had made the effort, and I was so glad I did.

So many memories - was it really 5 years ago? It doesn't seem that long..

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No snow here yet, which is the true anniversary for me.

I still have some MSN Messenger files which reveal her her as a rather naughty lady, with one foot already in heaven, and the utmost concern for her fellow Shipmates.

It is curious how life is both the poorer and the richer in her loss.

[Votive]

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just sitting here remembering and tearing up. [Tear]
All our conversations were worth remembering. She knew that JB and I would be happily married, for example, before we even were engaged or married. (I found this out after we were married!)

That's why she is in my sig, along with Tim C. and Gambit.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Five years I've been on the Ship because Miss Molly was the one to reach my heart and pull me onboard. I can't thank her enough. I still think of her and sometimes even cry when I hear "Fields of Gold". I hope her family is well.
Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:

As you can tell, I hold St. Sebastian in the highest esteem!

As do I.

Miss Molly hatched a plan to surprise me with gifts to celebrate my Chrismation into the Orthodox church in late September of 2002. She enlisted the assistance of St. Sebastian, who shopped at his Orthodox parish's bookstore for an orthodox prayer book, a beautiful prayer rope, and another little book from Greece about how to pray with a prayer rope.

They packed it up and mailed it with love and care. I'm still amazed at the selflessness of both Miss Molly, who was quite sick and yet continually thought only of others; and of St. Sebastian, who essentially gave up his life at a moment's noticO to care for Miss Molly.

He also called me on the telephone right after she had fallen asleep.

I still have PM's and emails from her and I spoke on the phone with her 2 times. She had a particular fondness for Fearless, my cat (who she somehow managed to meet online... [Confused] [Biased] ), so I sent her my only picture of Fearless, who was quite small at the time.
[Tear] [Votive]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] [Axe murder]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chastmastr, how good to see you - seems like ages!

I missed out on the Miss Molly period, as I didn't visit the Ship much in those days. But I was aware enough of it to realize how very caring and generous the shipmates were.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016