homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » Chapter & Worse   » Psalm 114: 4-5... The mountains skipped like rams...

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Psalm 114: 4-5... The mountains skipped like rams...
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Verse nominated by frin

"The mountains skipped like rams,
the hills like lambs.
Why ails you, O sea, that you flee?"

(Psalm 114: 4-5, in context)

frin comments: The rhymes are twee. They haunt me.

How much of a problem is this verse? Click "Vote Now" to cast your vote!

[ 03. September 2009, 19:30: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 42 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather like it. It reminds me of geography witnessed on God's time.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a real stretch.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's one of the best bits!

Try a different translation if you don't like the rhymes

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti." --Toto.

I can handle rams as a simile for mountains. I cannot handle mountains as a simile for other mountains. Bible-1, Toto-0.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always heard that as "rises like an empress" -- now I shall have to go look it up.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Foo you're right. My way is better.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since when did Kilimanjaro rise like anything over Serengeti?

Don't they have maps in Kansas, or wherever Toto comes from?

Tsavo, maybe. Amboseli, yes. But not Serengeti.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I always heard that as "rises like an empress" -- now I shall have to go look it up.

I always thought it was "A lepress",until someone on the Ship set me straight. My version is much better, IMO.

[To Ken: Yeah, that, too. But you see my point about the rams, right?]

[ 04. August 2009, 17:19: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orlando098
Shipmate
# 14930

- Posted      Profile for Orlando098   Email Orlando098   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

I always thought it was "A lepress",until someone on the Ship set me straight. My version is much better, IMO.

[To Ken: Yeah, that, too. But you see my point about the rams, right?]

[Big Grin] lepress!! lol . I agree comparing a mountain to another mountain sucks as poetry. Might just as well go with the Blackadder route - rises like a enormous ris-ey thing above the Serengeti (or something). It's even worse if it doesn't actually do anything of the sort.

I agree the original verse is rather twee, but it is quite jolly. Makes change from all this baby eating and rape and whatnot we have had on this part of the forum.

Posts: 1019 | From: Nice, France | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
"The mountains skipped like rams,
the hills like lambs.
What ails you, O sea, that you flee?"

(Psalm 114: 4-5, in context)

We used to solemnly chant this every Sunday at Vespers, antiphonally. Not a smile from anybody.

As much fun as "your hair is like a herd of goats and your teeth are like a flock of sheep." Try that one on a prospective date some evening and see where it gets you.

Orlando098
Shipmate
# 14930

- Posted      Profile for Orlando098   Email Orlando098   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
well it's better than "thy nose is as the tower of Lebanon which looketh toward Damascus"
Posts: 1019 | From: Nice, France | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a description of an earthquake.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've thought it suggests the spiritual response of Creation (including inanimate things) to God.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Sounds like a description of an earthquake.

Plus tsunami.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes re tsunami.

Sometimes, people have assumed that ancient writings (not just the Bible) are simply poetic, metaphoric, and/or fictional...only to find out later that the text was discussing an actual happening.

FWIW.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
BWSmith
Shipmate
# 2981

- Posted      Profile for BWSmith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Psalm 114 goin' OLD SKOOL...

FO
and THREE
and TWO
and ONE...

(wikka-wikka-wikka-wikka-wikka-wikka!)

i said a hip
hop
the hippie the hippie
to the hip hip hop, a you dont stop....

Posts: 722 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016