homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » Chapter & Worse   » Judges 11:30-31... Jephthah's sacrifice of his daughter

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Judges 11:30-31... Jephthah's sacrifice of his daughter
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Verse nominated by Paul M

"And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD: 'If you give the Ammonites into my hands, whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the LORD's, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering.' Then Jephthah went over to fight the Ammonites, and the LORD gave them into his hands. He devastated twenty towns from Aroer to the vicinity of Minnith, as far as Abel Keramim. Thus Israel subdued Ammon. When Jephthah returned to his home in Mizpah, who should come out to meet him but his daughter, dancing to the sound of tambourines!" (Judges 11:30-31, in context)

Paul M comments: Human sacrifice is bad enough, but human sacrifice because God is going to hold you to an idiotic vow is just stupid as well as bad and wrong.

Orlando comments: What was he expecting to come out of his house to greet him??? Following on from this, he goes right ahead and sacrifices her -- this is the main example of human sacrifice in the Bible, I think.

How much of a problem is this verse? Click "Vote Now" to cast your vote!

[ 03. August 2009, 20:07: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 40 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this verse shows the idiocy of the culture of vows in those days. God never required people to make oaths to him. All righteous covenants were initiated by God, not man. This oath smacks of superstition rather than a proper relationship with God. It shows a dangerous and stupid idea of our relationship with God, in that we can make deals with him, ‘if you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours’. People make deals now, if you give me what I want then I’ll pray to you every day, or go to church every week, or whatever. This is taken to extremes in this case. But the principle is the same. God wants to give us gifts, not deals. And our proper response should be praise and worship, not trying to turn a loving relationship into some stupid business arrangement. Jesus instructed, do not make vows, let your yes be yes and your no be no. You can see why he thought vows were a stupid idea when you look at passages like this.

God never required the vow, and he never required human sacrifice. In fact he explicitly banned it. Jephtha’s response is purely cultural, not Godly. A properly righteous response would have been to admit his idiocy and pray to God for forgiveness.

Or, of course, you have to ask, since his daughter is coming out to meet him with tambourines, why doesn’t he just sacrifice the tambourines? That's what I’d do. [Big Grin]

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This kind of "rash promise" story is a cautionary tale that appears in the folklore of many cultures (some of them, no doubt, tracing their origins back to this form of the story). Basically it's a fable whose moral is "be careful what promises you make".

In my own part of the world there's the story of the Lambton Worm. What the linked article omits is that young Lambton tried to "fix" the deal he made with the witch by arranging to have one of the household dogs let loose to meet him on his return home. Unfortunately his poor old dad was so thrilled at the Worm's demise, he ran out of the castle to meet his son, with Dreadful Consequences.

It's a moralising fable, that's all, and that's how it should be read. If there ever was a Jephthah, I doubt we're meant to regard him as anything but an idiot.

[Edited for typo]

[ 31. July 2009, 13:12: Message edited by: Adeodatus ]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

- Posted      Profile for Joan_of_Quark   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hawk, I think you are onto something there. I have always thought tambourines were EEEVIL.

--------------------
"I want to be an artist when I grow up." "Well you can't do both!"
further quarkiness

Posts: 1025 | From: The Book Depository | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Orlando098
Shipmate
# 14930

- Posted      Profile for Orlando098   Email Orlando098   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess these comments make sense, but it is not a veery edifying tale to have ended up in the Bible all the same - with no commentary to suggest we are not meant to see this as admirable loyalty to his vow...

The reaction of the daughter is pretty surprising too -- "OK Dad if you've promised God you have to kill me as a burnt offering that's fine, you can't let him down, just let me go and bewail my virginity for a couple of months and walk up and down the mountains with my friends." That's one pretty dutiful daughter

Posts: 1019 | From: Nice, France | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hawk

Semi-social raptor
# 14289

- Posted      Profile for Hawk   Author's homepage   Email Hawk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orlando098:
I guess these comments make sense, but it is not a veery edifying tale to have ended up in the Bible all the same - with no commentary to suggest we are not meant to see this as admirable loyalty to his vow...

Oh, come on, if you need the author to tell you it's not admirable to kill your own daughter then you've got problems no amount of commentary is going to fix!

--------------------
“We are to find God in what we know, not in what we don't know." Dietrich Bonhoeffer

See my blog for 'interesting' thoughts

Posts: 1739 | From: Oxford, UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it came up in another thread* how too much commentary softens the moral punch of a story...and I think that was even another Judges passage. Maybe this implicit morality play is just a theme in Judges?

Here's a link to my post in that thread.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Orlando098
Shipmate
# 14930

- Posted      Profile for Orlando098   Email Orlando098   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
quote:

Oh, come on, if you need the author to tell you it's not admirable to kill your own daughter then you've got problems no amount of commentary is going to fix!
Hm, no I can see myself it's not admirable, but the text doesn't seem to make a big deal out of it, that's all. In the next chapter he has forgotten all about his daughter and just goes on about his great victory over the Amonites.
And it even says in context that he was full of the spirit of the Lord when he made the vow:

29 Then the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah. He crossed Gilead and Manasseh, passed through Mizpah of Gilead, and from there he advanced against the Ammonites. 30 And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD : "If you give the Ammonites into my hands, 31 whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the LORD's, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering." 32 Then Jephthah went over to fight the Ammonites, and the LORD gave them into his hands"

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Playing at another tack, do we know that this story is necessarily about morality, that these characters are supposed to be understand as moral exemplars, be they Goofus or Gallant?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bullfrog.:
Playing at another tack, do we know that this story is necessarily about morality, that these characters are supposed to be understand as moral exemplars, be they Goofus or Gallant?

I am quite prepared that it is an actual account of an actual dumb guy making and actual dumb decision, because the world is full of them, aye unto every age.

However, the fact that the previous verse blames his dumbness on the Holy Spirit, makes this verse suddenly dangerous. Leaning me toward "Get it out!"

(Sorry if that comes off as flip, but I have always thought Jepthah was a waste of space, textual or otherwise.)

[ 31. July 2009, 20:50: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unapologetic Double Post

Hold the phone!

Maybe we are focusing on the wrong person in this little melodrama-- maybe the point of the story is not Jephthah's vow, but the response of the daughter. Maybe the point is, "Look how joyfully and heroically she surrendered to the fate her father's dumb vow consigned her to."

I guess I could hang with that. A little soapy, but still.

(Wow, did you know Spellcheck has Jephthah? Doesn't have gevalt, but it has Jephthah. Hm.)

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jephthah was a freak, and they should have held him back the way the army held Saul back when he made a similar stupid vow to execute an unknown person who turned out to be his own son Jonathan (1 Samuel 14).

As far as the Holy Spirit thing goes, it's equally clear in the Saul passage that God was involved and displeased about SOMETHING. He refuses to communicate with Saul at a critical point and Saul gets the message--somebody has sinned, and the matter needs sorting out. He was right about that, though almost tragically wrong about who the sinner was.

So was God upset that Saul didn't keep his vow? I really don't think so. I think he was angry with Saul for making the stupid vow, witness the fact that he gave Saul every assistance in discovering his own fuckwittery (by indicating Jonathan's danger through a lottery).

But that's as far as God goes. When the men forcibly prevent Saul from killing Jonathan, God appears to do absolutely nothing further after that point. There is no retribution for the vow getting broken. It's as if the Lord breathed a sigh of relief that SOMEONE had the good sense to stop that idiot.

Indeed, the very next chapter is back to business as usual, with God giving Saul instructions through the prophet Samuel.

So from this I suspect that Jephthah would have suffered no consequences at all for breaking his stupid vow. Indeed, I wonder what he suffered for keeping it!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loss of chattel. It's not like she were a son. [Disappointed]

Okay, okay, she was an only child and the jerk was upset. Whom or what did he expect to come out the door? His wife? A servant? His favorite dog? Anyway you look at it, Not So Good.

[ 01. August 2009, 03:08: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Still and all, she had a pretty good attitude about the whole thing. No "Pleeease, daddy, don't kill me!" but "No sweat, but listen, can I have three days with my girls?"

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dunno. I think I'd have been happier if she'd taken off into the back country and never came back. Who knows, maybe dumb Dad was hoping for it too....

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I think I read one commentator-- Ryrie?-- who suggested that her "sacrifice" was a situational one, that she committed herself to perpetual chastity and service to the temple, something like that. Can't remember how he backed it up.

(random)Wouldn't it be trippy if we teleported back in time and discovered all this was the backstory for a Job's Daughters --type organization?

[ 01. August 2009, 04:40: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Orlando098
Shipmate
# 14930

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I think I read one commentator-- Ryrie?-- who suggested that her "sacrifice" was a situational one, that she committed herself to perpetual chastity and service to the temple, something like that. Can't remember how he backed it up.

I know some people try to claim things like that, but apparently the wording of the vow does mean quite specifically a burnt offering and the text says Jephthah did to her as he had vowed. It seems a stretch to say this means he gave her to be a temple servant
Orlando098
Shipmate
# 14930

The main problem with this text though is that surely if God had wanted he would have arranged for something else to come out or would have told Jephthah not to stick to his vow -- I mean either he is all-powerful and his will has an effect on the outcome of events sometimes (as he is certainly portrayed in the OT), or he is more a Deist-type God does not or cannot ever intervene. In the story of Abraham and Isaac, for example, he stepped in to stop Abraham killing his son
Orlando098
Shipmate
# 14930

The story on the face of it then leads us to assume God either values daughter sacrifices or at best he is not especially keen on them but values people sticking to their vows to him too much (and values the daughter's life too little) to do anything to stop the course of events
Orlando098
Shipmate
# 14930

if we take God as truly all-powerful and assume nothing ever happens that is not his will, then it might even look as if he arranged for the daughter to come out first, perhaps to tick Jephthah off for making a rash vow, or to make him pay really dearly for his great military victory
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe the lesson here is: be careful what you wish for. And also: even if you're full of the Spirit, you can still be full of shit and do stupid things which destroy other people.

I think that really the Book of Judges should be classed in the Old Testament under the Wisdom books, rather than the Historical books. If it has any value it's not about history, but human stupidity. Maybe it could be renamed the Book of Duh.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orlando098
Shipmate
# 14930

quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
Maybe it could be renamed the Book of Duh.

[Big Grin] yes, or at least it could say at the start "warning: contains nuts" or something

(fixed code)

[ 02. August 2009, 03:04: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
The main problem with this text though is that surely if God had wanted he would have arranged for something else to come out or would have told Jephthah not to stick to his vow -- I mean either he is all-powerful and his will has an effect on the outcome of events sometimes (as he is certainly portrayed in the OT), or he is more a Deist-type God does not or cannot ever intervene. In the story of Abraham and Isaac, for example, he stepped in to stop Abraham killing his son

Or that She's contractually bound by agreements made with people. Look at the transition to monarchy in the 1-2 Samuel. God didn't want to give Israel a monarch, but they insisted and got what they asked for.

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
if we take God as truly all-powerful and assume nothing ever happens that is not his will, then it might even look as if he arranged for the daughter to come out first, perhaps to tick Jephthah off for making a rash vow, or to make him pay really dearly for his great military victory

I think it's pretty obvious, even within the text of the bible itself, that things happen that aren't God's will.

--------------------

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

quote:
Maybe the lesson here is: be careful what you wish for. And also: even if you're full of the Spirit, you can still be full of shit and do stupid things which destroy other people.

I think that really the Book of Judges should be classed in the Old Testament under the Wisdom books, rather than the Historical books. If it has any value it's not about history, but human stupidity. Maybe it could be renamed the Book of Duh.

But isn't human history, with exceptions, full of stories of human stupidity?

--------------------

GrahamR
Shipmate
# 11299

- Posted      Profile for GrahamR   Author's homepage   Email GrahamR   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think that really the Book of Judges should be classed in the Old Testament under the Wisdom books, rather than the Historical books. If it has any value it's not about history, but human stupidity.

Yeah, which is why I find the 3 divisions of the Hebrew text much more helpful - Torah (Teaching), Prophets, Writings. In this, the 'historical' books are all classified as 'prophets' which I think puts a bit of a different spin on understanding them.

--------------------
My blog - theology, archaeology, science

Posts: 184 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rabbinical tradition has generally seen Jephthah as being a silly billy. OTOH, the Epistle to the Hebrews cites him as a hero of faith. So perhaps it's the relevant verse in Hebrews we should be chopping?

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember when we did Judges as a House Group study - when we got to Jephthah, we decided that the one lesson was: "When daddy's due back from the wars - let the dog out first!"

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:

Well, and that very story is pretty foundational to the Israelite culture. I'd be astonished if Jephthah didn't know it. So why should God repeat himself? The lesson was pretty damn clear the first time.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Maybe the problem was that he was expecting God to bail him out.

[ 02. August 2009, 03:06: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In the next chapter he has forgotten all about his daughter and just goes on about his great victory over the Amonites.

Well, actually, in the next chapter he goes on about his victory over the Ammonites, handles some diplomacy spectacularly badly and ends up killing 42,000 fellow Israelites. So it seems that he continues being a bit of a muppet.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there any chance that he didn't actually kill her, that as a consequence of his vow, she remained a virgin in his house (hence, the mourning of her virginity)? That the text doesn't explicitly mention the actual 'sacrifice' has always struck me as odd.

I agree w/further up, her submission is more the point of the story. Secondary point: men are impulsive idiots! [Smile]

Anyway, just a thought.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ 07. August 2009, 19:23: Message edited by: TomOfTarsus ]

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I've heard this theory, but never heard any supporting evidence for it. IMHO lifelong virginity is not equivalent to death.

Though the lifelong virginity of one's only child MIGHT BE in the eyes of an Israelite father who didn't want to see his line die out--but it's a bit odd to be building much on a female child in that respect anyway, and we've no indication that Jephthah couldn't marry again and possibly father other children.

I'd like to believe it, though. Beats the alternative.

--------------------

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
Rabbinical tradition has generally seen Jephthah as being a silly billy. OTOH, the Epistle to the Hebrews cites him as a hero of faith. So perhaps it's the relevant verse in Hebrews we should be chopping?

My recollection is that the Scholastics all agreed that he was an idiot (and culpably so) to make the vow, but disputed on whether he was right to keep it afterwards.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
CrookedCucumber
Shipmate
# 10792

- Posted      Profile for CrookedCucumber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The sacrifice of one's children (male and female) to appease the gods is not an uncommon theme in ancient literature. It seems to me that it's common enough that it must have happened from time to time. I think it's at least possible that the Jephthah story is based on a historical event, sadly.

That other famous daughter-murderer, Agamemnon, sets of a series of revenge killings that lasts three generations. We don't need Euripides to say ``This was a bad thing'' to know that it was a bad thing. I presume the same is true of Jephthah.

Posts: 2718 | From: East Dogpatch | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

On the contrary, it's very edifying. Along with most of the other accounts of the Judges, it shows what a poor job God's people were doing of following His law. In fact, I can't think of a Judge offhand who really behaves as he's supposed to; Gideon's ephod causes an apostasy (and he allows an asherah to be put on his property), Jephthah sacrifices his daughter, Samson thinks with the wrong head...of the big names, only Deborah seems to have escaped major misbehavior.

I think that's part of the lesson we're supposed to take away from the book. That the editor/author of Judges doesn't comment on the behavior can be interpreted as giving us credit for knowing the difference between right and wrong; I don't see any implicit approval of any of these actions.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
DagonSlaveII
Shipmate
# 15162

- Posted      Profile for DagonSlaveII     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah...a text wall...

Personally, I tend to take it as a history lesson. You learn from it or otherwise you repeat it. I take a lot of the books of history, where I am not being commanded to do anything, in just that manner.

Also, I try to keep a few thoughts in mind:

In both Greek and in Hebrew,there is no space between words and paragraphs. With Hebrew, there's no vowels. Thankfully, when the Septuagint was made, those men were speaking both Greek and Hebrew, otherwise there would be a lot of gross mistranslations between the two (compared to the few minor ones we are bound to have). What this means is that where chapters, verses, and even modern habit of paragraphing the Bible, all of it is guesswork--most of it very educated and likely right guesswork, but it can still fail. As it is, the sentence made of verse 29 is pretty self-contained and straightforward: The Spirit of the Lord directed him where to journey. Not necessarily that it stayed with him when he made his vow. Besides, I like looking at continuity.

Oh, and the same Greek word is used in both places (Septuagint, can't stand using interactive Hebrew for most of the OT), where in 29 it's translated Then/Now and in 30 it's either and or not used in the English at all: Kai Which means that something of the following: that word is more ambiguous in meaning in Greek or 29 doesn't start a new thought, as it appears in the English. I suspect that verse 29 and verse 30 might not even belong to the same thought...which leads me to something else I keep in mind:

Much of the OT and at least the first 5 NT books (non-Apocrypha) are compilations of a lot of short narrations. It looks like there's possibly 3 on Jephthah, and not one continuous text (as is indicated by the daughter not being mentioned past her part of the narration), and those were the ones that they thought were relevant enough to record, although all are obviously close enough to read as one account.

*shrugs* Just possibilities.

--------------------
Thanks for all the prayers for my not-yet-family. Please continue to pray for my future Brother-in-law's mum, she is still in the hospital, although doing better.

Posts: 138 | From: Houma | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the description of the Book of Judges as the ‘Book of Duh’. (Acknowledgement to Simon.) What is the book’s main theme? The consequences of wandering off from the path of truly following God’s commands. In contrast to the godly way that the book of Joshua ends, the book of Judges documents the disobedience of Israel and the progressive moral debasement of the nation through apostasy and adopting the gods and behaviour of the Canaanites. (See Judges chapter 2 and start of chapter 3).

So the book of Judges is full of accounts of the evil that is done when God’s people abandon His ways and instead follow ungodliness. The exact character of that evil may well be culturally determined – I doubt that sacrificing as a burnt offering the first thing that comes out of your house on your return to it is something that will occur to modern minds – but whatever it is may well still have similarly destructive and woeful consequences. The question then to ask is: in what ways is the 21stC church being syncretistic with the values and attitudes of the secular ungodly world around it, in the same way that Israel did with Canaanite beliefs and practices? - importing into the church the beliefs of the world in order to appear ‘relevant’ and ‘up-to-date’?

And being ‘Spirit-filled’ is no guarantee of doing right. Jephthah had the Spirit of the Lord upon him, to carry out God’s commands, but that didn’t stop him from getting it wrong by making his vow. (Where did this practice come from? Is there any precedent from the OT? Was he following a practice of the Canaanites?) The Holy Spirit is a guide to influence the follower of God to do right, not a guarantee that the disciple will always get it right. Do people who have been filled with the Spirit to serve God nowadays also do stupid and disobedient things? Hmm, seems quite likely.

Incidentally, Jephthah didn’t have to carry out his vow, the laws of Leviticus (5:4-6) allowed for this circumstance, but he failed to follow the law. I suspect that within his own mind, within his own time and culture, he thought he was doing the right thing. (As Judges 17:6 says.) We might do the same today, in our own time and culture, in ignoring God’s law and doing what we think is ‘right in our own eyes’. I wonder if the history of the Christian church, if written, could be described as the ‘Book of Duh’ with all the things that the church has got wrong over the years, and will continue to do whenever we depart from God's way?

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A.Pilgrim: [Overused]

Scripture is descriptive, at least as often if not more so than it is prescriptive. In this story, Jephthah is a thoughtless jackass, and at least to me it's obvious that that was the intent of the authors/redactors. This is, among other things, a cautionary tale about making rash, theologically unsupportable promises to God. I can't help reading it and thinking back to last week's epistle lesson from James, warning the Christian community about the destructive power of unmindful, undisciplined speech.

[ 20. September 2009, 22:41: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems absurd to suggest that Jephthah's daughter might have become a temple servant, as the temple had not yet been built.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

There was a tabernacle, though, and women did serve at it. Eli the high priest's two sons got into trouble with God for molesting them.

--------------------

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is an interesting analysis of this story in the book "Biblical Games" by Steven Brams.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
BWSmith
Shipmate
# 2981

- Posted      Profile for BWSmith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The explanation of this passages is the same as the other Judges passages.

Judges demonstrates the long moral decline of Israel before the time of kings.

Jephthah's rash vow belongs with his origin as a son of a prostitute - it demonstrates that Israel's faithful leaders were in increasingly short supply.

Posts: 722 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016