homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » Erin   » Singing our way to the other side (music you've been listening to)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Singing our way to the other side (music you've been listening to)
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simon posted a summary of a mix CD that Erin had burned for him back in the day in this comment; he was himself inspired by Louise's recollection of music she played the night she heard.

I thought this topic was interesting enough for its own thread. I have definitely had my own "playlist" and have seen some other "music" comments as well. And we had what I thought was an inspiring hymn-sing in the Cafe during our vigil. So with that in mind ...

What's in your mind's ear? What are you listening to and/or singing as you process the shock and grief? Share titles, and audio clips or other links if you've got them.

(I'll start with some of mine in a separate comment to keep this post a bit shorter.)

Peace!

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A small part of my mental soundtrack:

"Ain't no sunshine when she's gone"

Alison Moyet's version of "Dido's Lament"

and the Kontakion for the Dead (thank you Spike for doing it in the Cafe).

A friend had posted a link to Faure's "In Paradisum" very recently, which made me think of the Rutter Requiem our choir did last All Souls and the haunting "Lux Aeterna" at the end.

--------------------
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Before the Vigil started, I happened across Zappa's Gerry Rafferty RIP thread in All Saints and ended up listening to Baker Street a few times.

When I couldn't get into the Cafe for the Vigil, I dug up Simon's CD playlist and googled some random pieces. I ended up listening to a lot of Dido (starting with Thank You) which segued into lots of Loreena McKennitt.

Sometime in the next week I'll find a couple of hours and settle in with some vodka or Cabernet Sauvignon (her cited drinks of choice - I don't do champagne by myself) and the Verdi Requiem.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well if you want something gentle and soothing DO NOT listen to this.

But if you like black humour and some gutsy blues rock try:
you're only a breath away from your Personal Judgement Day

by Big tent Revival.

My family are appalled that I want the casket carried out to this at my funeral, which is probably why I want it all the more.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Song for Athene.

"Give rest, O Lord, to your handmaid, who has fallen asleep."

(Full lyrics are in the comments to the Youtube vid.)

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I mentioned during the wake that I was listening to the Emperor Concerto. I like Beethoven for tough times because for me, his music captures the human condition: one foot in the grave and one hand reaching for the stars. OliviaG
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I mentioned elsewhere that the Spinners' "Mighty Love" was going through my head incessantly for the couple days before we found out.

It occured to me yesterday that this one needs to be on the playlist.

[ 08. January 2011, 01:58: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly, those lyrics really say it.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amorya: thanks for the Tavener.
Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good Riddance by Green Day
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After the cafe crashed midway through the wake, my software install was done and my mother wanted me to do some errands with her. So instead of waiting for the cafe to come back up (which I understand happened quickly with Pease on the job), I headed out and turned the radio on in the car. It was playing the end of the Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #2. I will look for this on CD and listen to it all the way through. I don't know if Erin liked this kind of music, but I hope she doesn't mind if I think of it as Erin's Song.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Good Riddance by Green Day

oh yes! what a perfect song.

I have been listening to Wyclef's "Knocking on Heaven's Door" which is a little maudlin but fit my mood exactly.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had this on. But I have to admit I have always loved this for its black humour. (It came very close to being a Christmas number 1 in the UK one year - I was gutted when it was bumped off by some easy listening rubbish.)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Spirit of the Lord come Down' by John Harper, words posted here as a prayer for the Ship as she sails on.

But I suspect Erin would rather like the black humour ones that are running through our heads as well, such as 'Always look on the bright side of life / death' - one my brother chose for his funeral, and 'We'll all go together when we go'.

(People of a very sensitive flyffye bynnye nature probably should not click on the second link above as the words and pictures might upset.... Everyone else join in.)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a bellringer, there is only one possibility.

(Totally incomprehensible explanation here.)

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
ostiarius
Shipmate
# 13726

- Posted      Profile for ostiarius   Email ostiarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is a beautiful video. The Kievan chant has been used at clergy funerals at our church.

--------------------
Open a new window, open a new door...

Posts: 143 | From: west ridge/rosehill | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I listened to exactly that recording yesterday, ostiarius! And this. Call me kitsch, but it seemed right.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Johannes Brahms: Ein deutsches Requiem.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:

I think I'll have a go at ringing that on Monday. (I've rung Stedman before and it doesn't look any harder.)

The song I came to this thread to post is It is Well with My Soul.

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

Kel, excellent!

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

I also want to say that we sang "I want to be a child of the light" as our final hymn at our Epiphany service the night before Erin's funeral, in which it was included.

I usually think it's too twee and tend to roll my eyes, but not that time. Now I think I know why [Biased] .

Charlotte

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the Green Day song is perfect, too.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
I also want to say that we sang "I want to be a child of the light" as our final hymn at our Epiphany service the night before Erin's funeral, in which it was included.

I usually think it's too twee and tend to roll my eyes, but not that time. Now I think I know why [Biased] .

Charlotte

I had the same feeling of reassessment about that song, Amazing Grace. Erin was a consummate 'gator, and could be a tough bitch, but she was also an innocent, wondering, wandering, sometimes unhappy child when she let us get a glimpse of her faith.
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"I Want to Walk as a Child of the LIght" was written by Kathleen Thomerson when she was loosely affiliated with the Church of the Redeemer in Houston, Texas--hence the tune name, Houston. Commentators tend to discount the hymn because of the "intensely personal" nature of the sentiments expressed in it and to damn it with faint praise. Still, it is one of only a handful of new hymns/songs from the Charismatic Movement that made it into the 1982 American Episcopal hymnal and is arguably strikingly important because of its inclusion there. It probably has a corollary in those Lutheran pietistic hymns that so annoy ELCA theologians and musicologists.

All that being said, it probably annoyed the hell out of Erin when it was visited upon her in Divine Service. That misery was probably salutary for her soul.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I think the Green Day song is perfect, too.

since RooK mentioned it I've been practicing it all afternoon. I'll get it eventually. whatever the reason for the reminder, it's a lovely song. thanks, RooK.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
All that being said, it probably annoyed the hell out of Erin when it was visited upon her in Divine Service. That misery was probably salutary for her soul.

Maybe, maybe not, tomb. Her playlist, as evidenced by the CD burn posted by Simon, shows a lot of schmaltzy emotive sad stuff. (I suspect she made it during a bad time in her life.) The kind of schlock I like. And despite my intellectual brain telling me that Child of the Light is a stupid song, my emotional brain likes it. Just like it likes the Verdi Requiem.

None of us are one-dimensional.

OK, I'll admit that she might have rolled her eyes when that particular song hit her in Heaven.

That's an interesting thought: Do we observe our Last Rites after we die? And if so, what do we think of them?

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Radio 2 is currently playing the recent version of 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' by Israel 'IZ' Kamakawiwo'ole.

I believe this was used in the TV show 'Scrubs' which I know Erin loved - Dr Cox was, shall we say, something of an inspiration. [Big Grin]

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about Scrubs, but the version combined with 'what a wonderful world' featured on ER for Mark Greene's death. I've often thought it's one of the most mournful songs I've ever heard.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
The song I came to this thread to post is It is Well with My Soul.

Here is the music.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As someone who likes Tallis, I have had If ye love me playing. The words struck me as appropriate:

If ye love me
Keep my commandments ..

Although I am wondering how "another comforter" will unfold.

Not sure if necessarily this is the best setting but I was attracted to the video with the number of people tramping their way up hills, down hills, through woods - all carrying lights. All journeying on.

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
I don't know about Scrubs, but the version combined with 'what a wonderful world' featured on ER for Mark Greene's death. I've often thought it's one of the most mournful songs I've ever heard.

Ah, maybe I'm getting my hospital programmes mixed up then. I don't follow either.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lit a candle this morning at church, and was at peace during my prayer in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel.

Then when I went to the service, the opening hymn was this:

quote:
Here in this place, new light is streaming
Now is the darkness vanished away,
See, in this space, our fears and our dreamings,
Brought here to you in the light of this day.
Gather us in the lost and forsaken
Gather us in the blind and the lame;
Call to us now, and we shall awaken
We shall arise at the sound of our name.

I wept a bit. And it has stayed with me all day

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obscure but appropriate?

Omaha return by Rolfe Kent from the soundtrack to About Schmidt

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread is a real comfort. 'Scrubs' theme here.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
morningstar
Shipmate
# 15860

- Posted      Profile for morningstar   Email morningstar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:

Incomprehensible? Maybe but also very apposite. I love the bit that says:
"Erin can be used as a 'stepping stone' to move the band on towards Stedman" Stedman, apparently, being "very useful for ringers learning to hunt"

What could be a better preparation for what's needed on the Ship right now? (pace Rook).

[ 10. January 2011, 18:30: Message edited by: morningstar ]

Posts: 116 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

- Posted      Profile for Squibs   Email Squibs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Casimir Pulaski Day

"Oh the glory that the Lord has made
And the complications you could do without
When I kissed you on the mouth..."

Posts: 1124 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lesedi
Shipmate
# 5234

- Posted      Profile for Lesedi   Email Lesedi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not been around in quite a while so my grief for Erin is limited, not nearly what it is for others on this board. I'm more aware of the corporate grief at a variety of levels.

All that said, two songs are rumbling around my brain. The first is Roseanne Cash's Will You Remember Me. They used it at the funeral of her father, Johnny Cash.

The second is Warren Zevon's Keep Me in Your Heart. It is part of his final cd.

Cherie

--------------------
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. Homer Simpson

Posts: 118 | From: slogging in a vineyard | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nunzia

Shipmate
# 4766

- Posted      Profile for Nunzia   Email Nunzia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep hearing, Everything in Heaven Comes Apart by Martyn Joseph and Steward Henderson. It's not very Erin-specific;I always think of it when somebody dies.

But also, One Last Drink.

--------------------
----- ---------. ---- - ---- ----.

Posts: 1903 | From: Crazy-glued to the ledge | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comfort music...

Deep Enough To Dream

Nearer, My God, To Thee

Mistaken

Untitled Hymn

Amazing Grace

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted this on another thread for Erin but this is one song that we shared together when Miss Molly passed on, and it speaks volumes for Erin also x

For a Friend

Another song Erin and I shared is another one by Sarah McLachlan. This song she sent to me on an email when we were talking about my Dad who was, at that time, very seriously ill and who passed away only a few weeks later. I am sure that Erin would not mind me posting here the first line from that email:

"Dear dolphy, I want to give you this song because I feel it might help you to come to terms with the grief you are feeling at this point in your life."

She went on to write much more in the email but, once again, I will not share those private moments with you all.

She signed the email as follows:

"With all my love and prayers, Erin. P.S. If you ever post in hell that I can be a fluffy bunny, I will flame your dolphin tuna stinking butt!"

Well Erin, you never said anything about posting here. God bless you, dearest Croc! and I never thought I'd be sharing this song you gave to me in memory of you....

Hold On

[ 11. January 2011, 15:34: Message edited by: dolphy ]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by dolphy:
She signed the email as follows:

"With all my love and prayers, Erin. P.S. If you ever post in hell that I can be a fluffy bunny, I will flame your dolphin tuna stinking butt!"[/URL]

[Big Grin]

--------------------

dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin] and [Axe murder] [Biased]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

...and a great sig it is, Dolphy. [Cool]

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been listening to The Unforgettable Fire frequently lately. Not sure how it started, but it has suited my mood - from Erin's passing, and other events.

If I get to plan my funeral, there will be no singing. But a song by Tiddas, Waving Goodbye, will be played. I was unable to find a link to this melancholy masterpiece to introduce it to you all.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See You Later Alligator, in the purity of its original form... hee... [Tear]

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016