homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » Erin   » Obituary (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Obituary
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin's obituary has appeared in the local newspaper.

Thank you Raspberry Rabbit for finding this and posting it on the Styx thread.

Tubbs

[ 06. January 2011, 09:28: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm tired and emotional. How do you view the other messages. I got how to write one, and I did.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I'm tired and emotional. How do you view the other messages. I got how to write one, and I did.

There's a delay of about 24 hours between writing the message and it being published on the website. The obit only appeared recently (today?) so the messages may not be viewable until tomorrow.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Tubbs. It was a brief factual obituary. I guess you and others have fleshed it out.

There is much about others that is known only to God.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I could see, you had to state which 'state' you were from. Rather tricky if you don't live in the US.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
From what I could see, you had to state which 'state' you were from. Rather tricky if you don't live in the US.

It accepted my post when I just entered my town and left the state blank.

Tubbs

--------------------

Deckhand
Shipmate
# 15545

- Posted      Profile for Deckhand   Author's homepage   Email Deckhand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are four entries at the moment, one from Jacobsen, so perhaps you can just ignore it.

--------------------
Lay Anglicana discussion forum and blog

Posts: 1360 | From: Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you leave the page with the obituary up, it automatically cycles through the messages. I didn't understand it either at first.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Deckhand:
There are four entries at the moment, one from Jacobsen, so perhaps you can just ignore it.

Not just jacobsen, but 2 others I recognise by name or place. Not that I am keeping tally. But I guess it just took time for the messages to be reviewed and posted

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted something -- I guess it will appear after review -- but I don't recall at any time that there was a place for my name. Email addy, of course, that was required, but no name. Maybe it's incomplete, then, a malfunction and didn't really get submitted?

Appreciate the links, folks.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now - a day late and a dollar short - we know what she looked like.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

If you just click 'next' each time your message is posted anyway.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:

Where did you find a picture?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin would have loved this description of location in the Guest Book.

London, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands

I hope she knows about it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:

Moo

Moo, click on 'visit guest book' - It's over on the right side. Then click to enlarge.

[ 06. January 2011, 13:37: Message edited by: Sine Nomine ]

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I'm tired and emotional. How do you view the other messages.

Click on "Visit Guest Book" next to her name at the top. (Maybe the link wasn't there when you posted, if none of the messages had been approved yet.)

[ 06. January 2011, 13:38: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep. A picture of Aunt Erin, holding two small children.
Looking as American as apple pie.
IMO.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Thanks, Sine.

Somehow, she looked much the way I expected her to.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Moo

If you visit the Guest Book, there is a picture of her with a nephew and neice.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago, during some random thread conversation Erin was asked what she looked like. She posted a link to a '50s era advertisement featuring a perky red-head housewife illustration. I have always retained that image of her, but wondered if it was true or a red herring.

Well, she's missing the pearls and the Peter Pan collar, but it was a good match.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
There's a delay of about 24 hours between writing the message and it being published on the website. The obit only appeared recently (today?) so the messages may not be viewable until tomorrow.

If they apply that moderation policy (which they don't seem to be) they are going to get snowed under pretty quick. They could do with someone with a keen eye and a good BS detector. Wait... [Tear]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

I got to Page 8 of condolences. That's when I started to cry as I realised just how many of you I have actually met, of how many more I will meet and others I have not met yet, but recognise from the signature or the location (and a combination of both)

And they say the internet is a mass of strangers. Not our little corner. [Tear]

Except maybe Kelly. I've wondered about that axe.

[Biased]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She looked almost exactly like I pictured her! That almost never happens.

I love the "US minor outlying islands" Erin could unknowlingly spark a last pondwar. Wouldnt she love that? [Biased]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"stranger" is a relative term, Uncle Pete. [Biased]

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
She looked almost exactly like I pictured her! [...]

Interesting! Same here. - Always reminded/reminds me of a cousin of mine.

[Votive]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I feel it's a terrible shame that was posted only after her death, so that no-one here ever got the opportunity to call her "Sweet Auntie Erin."

I mean, not that I'd have had the nerve to do it, but someone should have.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
quote:

I feel it's a terrible shame that was posted only after her death, so that no-one here ever got the opportunity to call her "Sweet Auntie Erin."

Although, on second that, maybe that was a misprint, and that was her alter ego, the Sweet Anti-Erin.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I gotta admit, she doesn't look anything like I thought she would. I thought she would be tall, slim and drop-dead gorgeous, wearing a little black dress and stiletto heels.

But I always do that -- people I like but never see I picture in highly idealized images. So you're all beautiful! Until I meet you. [Razz]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RuthW: You mean your avatar isn't a photo of you?
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
She looked almost exactly like I pictured her! That almost never happens.

I love the "US minor outlying islands" Erin could unknowlingly spark a last pondwar. Wouldnt she love that? [Biased]

I said stranger. Not strange or weird. That's a given.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you click the link just above the guest book entry form, you access the complete guest book. There are currently 54 entries.
The cycling text seems only to reference the first page.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those teeth don't look at all sharp. We woz duped. I always knew that gleam in the avatar eye hid some secret truth.

Those nieces / nephews are going to miss her really badly. [Votive]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I gotta admit, she doesn't look anything like I thought she would.

I'm afraid my mental picture was influenced a while ago by the "tiny invisible judge", so was expecting someone tiny (as well as invisible and judge-like, obviously). For some reason I was convinced she was small and round with long wavy dark hair and an olive complexion.

Yes, over the years I've become remarkably good at forming detailed and completely inaccurate mental pictures of people I've never met.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
quote:

But now I'm confused ... would the comment have been rewarded with a resounding reptilian snap (and resultant avatar modification, even) or the apparent enigmatic gentleness of the aunty on the couch ...?

(Hmm ... I'm guessing, but... [Paranoid] )

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I'm afraid my mental picture was influenced a while ago by the "tiny invisible judge", so was expecting someone tiny (as well as invisible and judge-like, obviously). For some reason I was convinced she was small and round with long wavy dark hair and an olive complexion.

She once said she was 5'8", so I knew she wasn't small.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jlg, I seem to remember the 50's cartoon thing too. That's how I always pictured her. The red background on her avatar must have subliminally kept me in that mindset of redhead. It's a great picture on the guest book. She looks very happy with those two mini-gators.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She once told me she was 5'10, Moo, but, what's a couple of inches? And yes, she did go through a red hair phase (didn't we all?)

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So she looked normal?

Why would anyone expect otherwise? Adopted persona and person often don't match. Perhaps she needed the 'terrifying' persona to deal with shippies? [Eek!]

Unless you really knew her well and some did and are emphatically not talking, I suspect you are largely in the dark.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Actually her skin is much pinker and less scaly than I expected... go, Gator!

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had trouble with the guest book and ended up with two entries. Ah well, at least they're a bit different with the same theme.
Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgive the gauche double-post ... 84 entries in the book just now. So glad that Erin's loved ones and friends can see the shower of love from all over the world.

[Axe murder]

(I have never in the past used and likely never in the future will use that smilie. But for this occasion, it seems an appropriate icon of what we're doing.)

Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I oddly thought she actually looked something like this:

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question-- did Dave Walker do the honors on that avatar?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Heh. No.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My picture of her will alawys be the 'gator with the troll in its mouth. Could that appear again please?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Erin could unknowlingly spark a last pondwar.

(my bold)
Gosh I hope not. I would like to think there will be many more in the years to come.

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:

Heh. No.
I suspect that's a RooK original.

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
Actually her skin is much pinker and less scaly than I expected... go, Gator!

Because of using inverse video settings on our home computer, her avatar was always a beautiful pink allegator on a sky blue background.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It was Simon I think. I put a bit about it here

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No not Simon.

I asked permission to do it, Simon gave it, but it was already up by then, and Simon said it wasn't him.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016