homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » Erin   » From one of the newer shipmates

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: From one of the newer shipmates
Try
Shipmate
# 4951

- Posted      Profile for Try   Email Try   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sorry to say that I never got to know Erin personally. I never lived near her, and was never able to make it to a shipmeet. I joined the ship in the early '00s, and I always thought that she was a hilarious and thoughtful presence. She will be missed.

--------------------
“I’m so glad to be a translator in the 20th century. They only burn Bibles now, not the translators!” - the Rev. Dr. Bruce M. Metzger

Posts: 852 | From: Beautiful Ohio, in dreams again I see... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first thing I thought when I saw your OP was that this should be a thread 'specially for Old Hands to try to explain The Erin Era to wide-eyed newer Shipmates.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
you've been aboard longer than me!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No one ever met Erin in person. She made a point of not ever attending a shipmeet.

I have a vague memory of her saying (it was probably a chat in the Cafe way back when - I was trying to get her to come to a Colorado shipmeet) that she wouldn't be able to do her job as Community Editor if she actually knew shipmates face-to-face.

Considering all the kind things she did for so many shipmates, that stray comment has stuck with me.

She needed to keep a bit of distance to do her job as she saw it and it seems she worked hard to maintain that distinction between "Erin the #2 Official and 'Gator Enforcer" and the many links she made with shipmates behind the scenes.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
...I was trying to get her to come to a Colorado shipmeet) that she wouldn't be able to do her job as Community Editor if she actually knew shipmates face-to-face...

thanks for sharing this - it provides some more insight into a brilliant and complex woman.

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
No one ever met Erin in person. She made a point of not ever attending a shipmeet.

Until a couple of days ago, none of us even knew what she looked like.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're an ugly lot. With her being so beautiful an' all, the shock would have been too great.

How many of us eagerly clicked on her picture when the gallery was first set up - and then laughed our socks off when we saw she'd tricked us again!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
morningstar
Shipmate
# 15860

- Posted      Profile for morningstar   Email morningstar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any newer shipmates who, like myself, have had the privilege of reading through the reactions of, and emotions expressed by, those of longer standing should by now have a fair idea of how much Erin meant to shipmates, the Ship, and why; and also have an inkling of Erin's Gator qualities which have stood the Ship in such good stead.

It has been other Shipmates' contributions to this thread that have made accessible those bits of the Ship's history of which we newbies have not been part. They have made that history vivid.
I for one, have felt more part of this community since Erin's death because I can now understand and share in some of its history and culture.

Posts: 116 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
morningstar
Shipmate
# 15860

- Posted      Profile for morningstar   Email morningstar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by morningstar:
Any newer shipmates who, like myself, have had the privilege of reading through the reactions of, and emotions expressed by, those of longer standing should by now have a fair idea of how much Erin meant to shipmates, the Ship, and why; and also have an inkling of Erin's Gator qualities which have stood the Ship in such good stead.

It has been other Shipmates' contributions to this board that have made accessible those bits of the Ship's history of which we newbies have not been part. They have made that history vivid.
I for one, have felt more part of this community since Erin's death because I can now understand and share in some of its history and culture.

Posts: 116 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
eremite
Shipmate
# 4529

- Posted      Profile for eremite     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My interaction with the Ship has always been in fits and starts, and none of it lasting longer than a couple weeks of lurking, punctuated, maybe, by a couple posts. Today begins another fitted start - with a kick in the stomach.

One of the constants here, to me, has always been the trembling thrill of fear and relief whenever I saw that grinning crocodile in a post. Fear of the lashing that was about to be unleashed, relief that it wasn't aimed at me. Although, now, I wish it had been, at least once.

Sounds trite to say "she'll be missed." But *I'll* miss her, and I never even interacted with her.

--------------------
Never seek to have your own opinion prevail, or your word influential. -Abbot Pastor
Trans.: I don't care what you think.

Posts: 67 | From: usa | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

How many of us eagerly clicked on her picture when the gallery was first set up - and then laughed our socks off when we saw she'd tricked us again!

Zappa furtively raises hand ... [Tear]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016