Thread: Heaven: Ship meet for prime numbered members Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000067

Posted by clare (# 17) on :

Ship meets are all very well but what about those excluded by the accident of geography? This thread is now proposed as an exclusive zone for those privileged people, through happy accident of registration, are forever blessed with a prime member number. Incredibly… I'm included! What's the chances of that eh?

(And the numerical outcasts who are soulfully tugging at they keyboard, longing to join in but having to settle for a New York meet or a North Yorkshire meet or whatever… don't even think about starting counter threads. Have you any idea how sad that would look?).

So WELCOME TO THE PARTY all you prime numbers out there, come on in and we'll celebrate in a nondivisible fashion. For a start, we'll have no cutting of the cake.

love clare

[ 10. March 2003, 02:14: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posted by smatt (# 103) on :

what a great idea Clare

I'd love to second it, but that would be wholly inappropriate

smatt

oh dear, just realised that 2 is a prime number too...

luv
smatt

hangs head in shame and tries to hide in a corner not catching shipmate 2's eye

Posted by Sean (# 51) on :

Can we bring wives, fiancees, whatever who aren't prime numbered?

certainly not.

But, to be brutel Sean, that's not a problem for you. Divide yourself by three dear, and go and join your loved ones outside the cordon.

Goodbye.

Posted by babybear (# 34) on :

I feel that I should be able to join as I am the product of two prime numbers! 2 and 17.

bb

darling, thats not the point of prime numbers now is it? you know that. now, be off with you.

clare

And, well, we've got a party of two now... hello smatt. indeed, you could second and third my proposal if you so wished. but i'd start on the grub before the others get here. Fancy a whole melon?

Posted by Alaric the Goth (# 511) on :

511 IS a prime number, isn't it?

(If it is, glad to be aboard!)

How about if I offer to cook?

I have been pracising my cooking in preparation for the SoF St Simeon's weekend.

I do a fantastic line in orange glazed chicken. May I tempt you?

bb

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

Well, I'm not that bad at cooking you know. Do we need an outcast to cook?

Alan

Posted by Erin (# 2) on :

quote:
Originally posted by smatt:
oh dear, just realised that 2 is a prime number too...

luv
smatt

hangs head in shame and tries to hide in a corner not catching shipmate 2's eye

Too late.

Oh, and I am from the South, with French and Italian roots, not-too-recently divorced from a Cajun. I can cook just about anything under the sun. We have no need for non-prime interlopers here.

exactly. we have all the cooking talents we need assembled right here babybear. now shooo... go and discuss litergy or something useful while we get on with the business of making merry.

Also Alaric the Goth... of you go as well. I've no idea what 511 is divisable by, but it's certainly Not an authorised prime number. Nice try though. Almost had me fooled.

BTW. we're looking at a total of 114 party goers as the crew currently stands. Possibly the largest meet ever!

clare

7x73=511

511 is a product of 7x73. Now if we didn't let babybear use the Babybear Exclusion, what makes you think we'll let you?

Posted by Angel (# 60) on :

17x3 = 51....

And I'm excluded too

Posted by Ann (# 94) on :

To bb, Sean, angel, Alaric and other excluded members,

These Prime Types have absolutely no concept of sharing. I can see them now, each jealously guarding the item they brought with them. We shall just have to hope, for the reputation of the ship, that the rum isn't brought in a cask.

love 2x47

Posted by Sean (# 51) on :

quote:
Originally posted by clare:
certainly not.

But, to be brutel Sean, that's not a problem for you. Divide yourself by three dear, and go and join your loved ones outside the cordon.

Goodbye.

Sprung

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

Would someone please tell me if 107 is a prime number? I think it is, but I'm not sure.

Moo

hi moo - yes come in and join the party

yours indivisibly
smatt

Yes Moo it is! You are our greatest prime number so far... though there are plenty more to come so enjoy this honour while it lasts. Welcome to the party! how nice to be at a meet with you at last.

Amazing, isn't it, how the non prime shipmates are so blatently jealous that, despite having a total of 317 other threads on the ship they could post on they can't bear not to post on this one!

bring on the southern/Itlaian/French/Scottish/cajian cooking!

love clare

do we have to work out a menu which doesn't involve cutting anything?

And the lesser, pretender threads have already begun. Tsk tsk.

since they've invaded our thread. should we return the compliment, or is that just far to petty?

I'm debating. I mean, it would certainly serve them right, but why taint ourselves?

Why would we want to go to their party? I don't really understand the concept. The original and the best.

Now, with regard to the menu. What do you think is an appropriate challenge? Indeed, i agree no cutting (though could we cut if we were not concerned with dividing into equal amounts?). what about scooping, which doesn't include positive integers? And do yu think we could eat a buch of grapes between us as long as the number of grapes was equal to the number of party goers?

clare

Posted by Steve_R (# 61) on :

As a mathmatician, this is one party I have to join.

Posted by TJ (# 589) on :

Having finally managed to re-register on the new boards (did anyone miss me?!) I find myself terribly confused... is the only way to determine my member number by posting a message? I can't find it anywhere else... so as yet I can't figure out if I'm allowed to join the party. But this post should quickly determine that!

TJ

19x31

That's me excluded then!

As long as we can cut, just not in equal amounts, I'm safe. I never measure anything.

the best way to cook. "that looks about right" measurements and "that should work" ingredients. Recipes are for the unadventurous.

tracy! didn't recognise you with just your initials! yes sorry love.. wah-wuh out of the game.. though i belive you'll be attending a geographically exclusive ship meet in the future.

you can check out your member number through clicking on "my profile". Checking whether it is a prime number requires a little more iniciative.

so, what ya cookin erin?

clare

Clare: 'you can check out your member number through clicking on "my profile". Checking whether it is a prime number requires a little more iniciative.'

Only after you've posted... as far as I could see!

Posted by andy d. (# 452) on :

I wponder how long it will be before we get a member with number = to the largest known prime.

that is (2^6972593) - 1

there'll be more form the useless fact factory next week!

andy

yes, and on a different thread if you please! dear me, andy, so obviously a two divisible it's risible. don't think you can sneak on in just because you've got a cool band to quote on your sig.

clare

They want to be like us, Clare. Can you blame them?

As far as what's for supper... ummm, you have your pick: Cajun, Southern, Floribbean (Florida/Caribbean), Barbecue, Italian, French. What'll it be?

Posted by Renee (# 479) on :

Please count me in. Check and see if you are on the A list by going here

Renee

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

Sorry I'm late... have we worked out the refreshments yet?

Sieg

Posted by Maddie (# 11) on :

It's OK - I'm here now

Erin, now I would love you to cook - can I just ask that there is some not too spicey for me? I am a wimp when it comes to hot food.

Thanks m'dear

Not too spicy, eh? Then it will be Southern. Hmmmm... how about:(All made from scratch, of course.)

Should I put up the breakfast menu for tomorrow?

Posted by Viola (# 20) on :

Oh - this is toooo much.

Look, I know I'm divisible by lots of things, but couldn't I just come and help serve that food? The smell is infiltrating other threads and putting me off my - well -things

Please?

No?

OK then.

Wow - now I am hungry again, and there is no way I can be!

And Viola - nope! Bye

Posted by Viola (# 20) on :

Mardy strop coming up...

It's my board too y'know. Why can't I come to any of the parties?

OK - mardy strop over (ish)

I'll just go & find my own little corner of heaven in one of the far distant mansions and pray for you all and your self seeking festivities of greed.

Okay, breakfast for tomorrow:

I think that's enough.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

So happy to join the chosen few!

And so happy to see the spread. My word, Erin. Biscuits. Made by a southerner. Not to slight the rest of the menu, but home-made biscuits are to my mind evidence that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

What are your thoughts on catfish for breakfast? I used to frequent a wonderful diner owned/run by someone transplanted to California from the south -- they had fried catfish on the breakfast menu. Which seemed insane till I tried it. Thought I'd died and gone to heaven. That and the red-eye gravy.

Of course now I'm having to do Weight Watchers due to my devotion to this sort of food!

Posted by David (# 3) on :

You forgot the Eggs Benedict and Champagne.

Ah yes, though you won't find either of those on a traditional Southern menu. And Ruth, I figured catfish would be too Southern. And I did forget the sausage gravy to go with the biscuits, too. If any of you are ever in Savannah, Clary's (which was in The Book, IIRC) has the world's best biscuits and gravy. Last time I was there that's what I got for breakfast. It was like $3 or so, so I'm thinking a couple of normal sized biscuits and gravy. Well. The bowl was as big as a large dinner plate, and about three inches deep. The THREE biscuits were as tall as the bowl was deep, and there was so much gravy that if they'd added one more molecule to the bowl it would have spilled over the side.

I licked the bowl clean and didn't eat for three days. But my God was it a slice of heaven on earth.

Posted by Wood (# 7) on :

Greetings, my people. Did you miss me?

now this might be something for the cross-cultural lexicon, but it appear that Erin and Ruth are using the word "biscuit" in a way different from the UK usage. Over here what we call biscuits you'd call cookies, as we used to keep reminding an American colleague when he refered to biscuits as cookies (until he'd got used to it and used the UK terminology, at which point we brought out the cookies - does that seem mean?)

Anyway, what in the US is a biscuit? (the thought of cookies and gravy doesn't appeal)

Alan

BTW, Wood welcome to the party

Posted by Steve_R (# 61) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

(the thought of cookies and gravy doesn't appeal)

...but a lot of the other stuff on this menu does.

Erin,

As far as I am concerned it can be as spicy as you like, habanero chillis an' all.

Steve, I agree. That mouth watering list is enough to make any non-prime numbered member turn several shades of green with envy at the bountious fare brought to this party.

And I'm sure once I find out what an American biscuit is that'll also be a great tasting dish when served with gravy.

Alan

Okay... here is a picture and a recipe (though I make buttermilk biscuits). The picture isn't that great, but I think you can get the gist of it from this.

And Steve... for you, a huge pot of chili. I made some for a party we were having at work one night, and the Texas doctor who was there said it was the best chili he'd ever tasted.

I have my faults, but I can cook.

Posted by andy d. (# 452) on :

quote:
Originally posted by clare:
yes, and on a different thread if you please! dear me, andy, so obviously a two divisible it's risible. don't think you can sneak on in just because you've got a cool band to quote on your sig.

clare

(2 to the power of anything) minus one is not divisible by two. Try it with some smaller numbers.

The prime quoted is, rather boringly, the largest number proven to be prime. Larger ones exist (as proven by Euclid) but none larger have been found yet.

Sorry Clare, you picked my pet subject!

andy

Posted by starbelly (# 25) on :

I feel a little embarresed, having failed most of my exams, I dont know what a prime number is....

am i one?

Posted by Belisarius (# 32) on :

A prime is a number whose only factors are itself and 1. Your Member Number is divisible by 5, so you're crashing.

My member number is 2^5, so I'm crashing even more.

Posted by Peregrinner (# 409) on :

By a stroke of luck I seem to be on the list of invitees to the party. I clicked on here and there I was so what can I bring?

OK, I'll handle the booze.
Boddingtons, John Smith's Extra Smooth, Caffreys, Kilkenny and Guinness for me

and a small bottle of vodka for the girls.

Does that sound reasonable?

I could lay on chinese herbal tea if you prefer and we can go healthy with carrots and celery to nibble.

Greetings fellow Prime People.

As this is a religious site can I ask...

Do we have a Prime Minister?

I have just checked the invitation list again and there are (to date) 114 possible attendees at the party. This should be good enough for some fun.

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinner:

and a small bottle of vodka for the girls.

Does that sound reasonable?

Well not if that is all we're allowed to drink - no!

Maddie

Posted by Beenster (# 242) on :

Your loss - I won't be there. No I don't care and I don't feel in the least bit slighted. Really I don't.

I didn't want to go to teh stupid thing anyhow.

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinner:
As this is a religious site can I ask...

Do we have a Prime Minister?

Well, I am the first prime, so I think that's me by default.

does anyone know why 1 isn't a prime?

It's considered a unit. The definition of prime is an integer greater than one that can only be divided by one and itself.

To go any further you'll need to find a math page, because that's about all I can remember.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

Erin, would you like me to make some pecan rolls? I have a very good recipe.

Moo

perriginer... are you our highest prime now? the positition has some honour.. though with it responsibility... ie. more booze for the girls!

we still seem to be missing some invitees...

clare

They have been thoroughly offended by your snobbish and exclusive nature!

I sure that I can find some message of Erin's talking about exclusive clubs, etc. wonder if I should quote it?

bb -- the product of two prime factors.

Posted by Beenster (# 242) on :

A little aside - can you stop gate crashers in any way? I may not be in my prime [groan it was a very bad one] but I can always check in eh?

Erin is Prime Minister. Great. Once again, we all have to kiss Erin's butt. And in Heaven, too -- there oughta be a law against this.

Like all groups the highest and latest member sparks a ripple of excitement but there is always someone else just around the corner.

OK,

Having considered this very carefully for a couple of secondsI think the girls do need a little more to drink so I will be puchasing a small bottle of Russian to go with the Vodka.

Posted by Rosario (# 163) on :

Member #163 rushing in to join the party. (For a while I thought, for some unknown reason, I was 168 - which is definitely not prime, but hurray I am prime.)

I'm not really a party animal, but I'll try my best not to sour the proceedings!

If Erin's Prime Minister, what can I be? I do have a rather good number...

I'll bring the Pringles, by the way. Any particular flavours, guys?

Moo, I would love the pecan roll. Anything pecan is a friend of mine. Ruth, no butt kissing in Heaven. Just quiet and tasteful worship is all I ask. babybear, exclusive clubs are only bad when I'm not part of 'em.

Now look Pere...(thingy)

I will hunt you down - I don't have far to go given I too live in Essex.

Get your act together with regard to us lot.

You may even get a smile

Maddie

Posted by Renee (# 479) on :

Erin, will you be serving granfalloons, as well?

R.

Maddie,

I love a good threat.

You have just earned yourself a bottle of gin and some tonic water to go with it.

Get me in a headlock and you might get some Martini.

I'll even throw in the Diet Pepsi.

Wood,

As you seem to want some sort of official title for the party here are a few suggestions. Pick the one that takes your fancy and we'll make you a badge.

Prime Factor
Prime Interval
Prime L. Scream
Prime and Proper
Prime R.E. School (I think this is the one)
Prime R.E. Colour
Prime Time
Wood Primer (maybe this one is better)

Let us know and the badge will be yours.

What is the thread doing in Heaven anyway?

You lot as having an exclusive (well trying too. ) shipmeet. But as we all know, cos we have read the guidelines for each board, that is within the realms of All Saints.

Could some kind member of the Heavenly Host please boot this out of Heaven?

(Then I'll get the Motherboard, to tell them to behave, and let everyone play. ::snigger:: )

bb

Posted by The sceptical Atheist (# 379) on :

I'm in. See even a reductionist can be indivisible!

Actually Babybear, Clare discussed it first and we decided given how silly it was likely to be Heaven was the most appropriate place so there!

quote:
Originally posted by The sceptical Atheist:
I'm in. See even a reductionist can be indivisible!

So does that make you a prime candidate for conversion?

Pooh, I forgot that Maddie was a prime.

Wonder if the Motherboard is a prime..... What about Belly-thingy, is he one too?

It's a conspiricy I tell you!

bb

We're not telling you.

You're divisible by 5, see, you can't be in our club.

quote:
So does that make you a prime candidate for conversion?

You would have to show that there needs to be a prime cause

I think each of us should adopt one of the little coloured children down there on the left. We can name them as they will be our own babies.

I would like to adopt

I think I will call him Primate (Prime Hate)

Daddy, have you got a throat lozenge?

Peregrinner, 69 is divisible by three, so you must ask nicely not just take the children.

© Ship of Fools 2016