Thread: Heaven: Favorite religion-themed jokes Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000081

Posted by Nancy Winningham (# 91) on :

Would people like to post their favorite jokes with a religious theme? I have five or so that I would like to post here, but only if other people don't beat me to them. I'm interested, partly, in increasing my own repetoire. Mainly interested in a good laugh.

So, on with the lightbulbs, the knock-knocks, and the obligatory St. Peter at the pearly gates . . .

Just one to get us started:
A rabbi, a priest, and a minister walk into a bar, and the bartender says, "What is this, some kind of a joke?"

[ 10. March 2003, 01:29: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posted by Campbellite (# 1202) on :

A man buys a new Cadillac and wants to have it blessed.

He goes to the Protestant minister who lays hands on the hood and prays, "Bless, O Lord, this shiny new Cadillac!"

The man then goes to the priest, who sprinkles it with holy water and prays over the new car in Latin.

The man then takes it to the rabbi, who prays over the car in Hebrew...and cuts off two inches of the tailpipe.

Posted by Newman's Own (# 420) on :

Paddy and Brigid had been going together for thirty years, and decided it was time to marry. When Paddy saw Father O'Farrell to make the arrangements for the wedding, he confided that the liturgical changes in the Church had him puzzled, and asked what the best options were for the ceremony.

"Well, you can have the old rite if you want it, Pat," Father replied, "but it's so cold and formal! Now, with the new rite, there is warmth, and love and real participation! So, in your place, I'd take the new one." Ever obedient to the clergy, Paddy agreed.

On the day of the wedding, Paddy was driving to the church alone when one of the tyres on his car went flat! He removed his jacket, shirt, and tie, rolled his trouser legs to the knees, and fixed the tyre. By then, he was quite late (and fearful Brigid would think he wasn't going to show after thirty years!), so he put his clothing to rights quickly. Though all else was fine, Paddy did not realise that his trouser legs were still rolled.

Paddy rushed in to the church, quite breathless, and Father O'Farrell, seeing the state of his attire, called out to him, "Paddy! Pull down your trousers, now."

Indignant, Paddy replied, "Father, I'll take the old rite!"

Posted by Chapelhead (# 1143) on :

A Christian and a Jew are talking and the Jew is saying how there is very little in Christanity that is original, most of it has been taken from Judaism - the monotheism, the moral code, the book the Christians call the Old Testament even the ten commandments have been taken from the Jews.

To which the Christian replies,

"Well, we may have taken the ten commandments from you, but you can't complain that we kept them."

(I hope I understood correctly - you did want the worst religious jokes we knew - didn't you?)

Posted by Peregrinner (# 409) on :

Fundamentalist joke:

A Bhuddist, a Hindu, a Sikh, a Jew, and a Catholic all fall out of an airplane without a parachute. Which one hits the ground first?

Well?

Think?

Different Religions?

What is the fundamentalist answer?

Are you there yet?

Or do you need more help?

The answer is ..........

A) Who cares, they are all going to Hell anyway.

Posted by The Coot (# 220) on :

The resident of heaven looked down across the great divide to see the denizens of Hell feasting daily with much relish on 7 course banquets.

'God, why is it. Why is it that we have sandwiches every day and they have 7 course meals?'

'Because my Child. I can't be bothered cooking just for the 2 of us.'
------

And one from Dave Allen:

The visitor to Hell is shown the terrible torment of the inhabitants there: they have 4 ft long ladles fixed to their hands and try to take stew from a great pot. There is frenetic activity, wailing and anguish because the ladles are so long that they cannot get the stew into their mouths and slop it everywhere and over themselves.

The visitor is then taken to Heaven, where surprisingly, the inhabitants have the same ladles permanently fixed to their hands - but they sit calmly around the stewpot in a circle and feed each other...

Posted by Tink (# 869) on :

The ladles joke... I thought it said 4ft long LADIES... anyway...

My joke:

Q. What do dyslexic agnostic insomniacs do all night?
A. Lie awake trying to work out whether there's a dog!!!

Posted by PJ (# 1896) on :

A burgular breaks into this house and is looking around, when suddenly he hears a voice "Jesus is watching you". The burgular stops suddenly and looks around but can't find anything, so he continues gathering up the goods, then suddenly again he hears a voice "Jesus is watching you". The burgular then turns on his tourch and looks around the room.

He see's a parrot in a cage, the burgular goes up to the parrot and asks "did you just say that?" the parrot answers "Yes" The burgular laughs and says "Whats your name then?" and the parrot replies "Moses"

The burgular laughs again and says "Who would give such a stupid name to a parrot?"

The parrot replies "the same people who would call a bull dog Jesus.

Three couples die and are waiting at the Pearly Gates for admission to heaven.

Peter is checking the records on the first man and says, "Sir, it says here that you were a bit too fond of your drinking. so much so that you ended up marrying a woman named 'Brandy'. I am sorry, but we cannot let you enter."

The second couple then stand before Peter. Again he checks the records and says to the man, "Sir, it says here that you were taken with the accumulation of money, and were overly greed. Indeed, it seems you even married a woman named, 'Penny'. I am sorry, but you, too, must leave."

The third man turned to his wife and said, "Well, Fannie, ...."

Posted by Joan the Dwarf (# 1283) on :

An old one...

A group of people arrive at the same time at the Pearly Gates and are processed by St Peter. The first one approaches him.
"Religion?" St Peter asks.
"Anglican" comes the reply.
"Right, here's your harp, you're in room 3, but be quiet as you pass room 11."
The person trotts off and the next one comes up to St P.
"Religion?"
"Baptist"
"Right, here's your harp, you're in room 16, but be quiet as you pass room 11."
Off he goes, and the third approaches.
"Religion?"
"Islam"
""Right, here's your harp, you're in room 5, but be quiet as you pass room 11. Next!"
"I'm a Humanist"
"Right, here's your harp, you're in room 7, but be quiet as you pass room 11."
The final person comes up to St Peter.
"I'm Anglican too, so I'll be in room 3, " she says, "But why do we have to be quiet when we go past room 11?"
St Peter hands her a harp and replies:
"That's where the Catholics are, and they think they're the only ones here."

Karl Rahner, Hans Kung, and Cardinal Ratzinger all arrived at heaven for admittance on the same day. (Note: before anyone starts acting pompous on this thread, don't be literal! I'm not so stupid that I don't know that the latter two are still alive!) Saint Peter informed them that he had been instructed to go over a few matters with each individually before their admission.

He called Karl Rahner into the "side chapel" first. Five minutes later, Karl emerged, near tears, and said, "How wrong I was!"

Hans Kung was next. Half an hour later, he emerged, quiet and humbled, and murmured, "How wrong I was!"

Ratzinger was last. Six hours later, Peter emerged, sobbing "How wrong I was!"

----
This joke was popular in certain RC circles during the 1970s, when taking the name of Vatican II in vain to justify the ...strange was popular.

Whenever anyone reaches heaven, he has the option of choosing any saint he wishes as a mentor to show him around until he's used to the territory. When Pope John XXIII arrived at the pearly gates, Peter informed him of this custom, and asked who he'd like to have for a mentor. Peter mentioned that, since admissions had been really low for the past few years, there was quite a selection available.
"The Holy Spirit, " replied John.
"The Holy Spirit!," thundered Peter. "No one has ever asked for Him! Do you know what his schedule is like... no, it would never do!" But John was adamant.
Finally, Peter said that, though the Holy Spirit was likely to be quite angered by John's insistence, he'd present the request.

"Holy Spirit," Peter began, "There is a new arrival who wants you for his mentor. I did tell him it was out of the question - but he was so insistent!"
The Holy Spirit was quite outraged. "Who is this?"
Peter answered, "He says he's Pope John XXIII."
The Holy Spirit looked puzzled. "Pope John XXIII... name isn't familiar... Ohhhhhh yes, now it strikes me! He invited me to an ecumenical council a few years back. I remember it well, because I couldn't make it."

Posted by Jack Douglas (# 2053) on :

Being intirely new at this, I wish to contribute a bit of a funny joke.
A Rabbi, a Roman Catholic priest, and a Baptist minister meet at coffee shop and while awaiting their orders get to discussing distribution of the offering. The Baptist say's how when the service is over he draws a 4 foot circle on the floor, stands in the middleand tosses the plate of money into the air. What falls inside is set aside for God's purposes, that which falls outside goes in his pocket, the R.C. priest reports how his method is similiar, but what falls into the circle is his, the Rabbi chuckles, shakes his head and asks, "do you seriously think that is correct? I too toss it into the air I just figure if God hasn't helped himself to what he wants, it's mine"

Posted by Jack Douglas (# 2053) on :

Does everyone have their thinking caps on?
Why did God require of Abraham that he sacrifice his son Issac on the alter when Issac was twelve years old?
Quite simply as had he waited till Issac was a teenager it would not have been a sacrifice.
How many Penticostal's does it take to change a light bulb?
21, 1 to screw in the replacement, and 20 to cast out the powers of darkness.
How many Baptist's does it take to perform the same task?
NONE! Baptist's aren't into change

Posted by homebild (# 1543) on :

A Muslim, a Jew and a lawyer are driving together through the country when their car breaks down near a farm.

The farmer can't offer them parts for the car nor any room in his house for the night but does offer to let them spend the night in his barn.

Well, two decide they'd rather sleep in the car, one in the front seat, one in the rear...the other will have to sleep in the barn.

So they draw straws and the Muslim loses and off to the barn he goes.

But a few minutes later, he comes back to the car and says: "Fellows, I can't sleep in that barn. There are DOGS in that barn. Dog's are unclean. I can't sleep with dogs. Please don;t make me sleep with dogs!"

So the other two draw straws, this time the Jew loses and off to the barn he goes.

A few minutes later the Jew comes out and says: "Fellows, I can't sleep in that barn. There are PIGS in that barn, Pigs are unlcean. Please don't make me sleep with pigs!"

So they all agree that the lawyer should spend the night in the barn instead.

The lawyer heads for the barn.

A few minutes later the dogs and pigs come out....

Posted by Jean Michel (# 27) on :

The vicar was told that the organ needed restoration work. So, before the Sunday morning service, he told the organist that he would make an appeal for funds after the notices, and that some music would be appropriate. Imagine his surprise when, having asked those interested in giving financial support to stand, the organist played the national anthem.

Posted by JB (# 396) on :

The Legend of the Christmas-tree Angel

Once Santa was having a really bad day.

Mrs Claus had a headache
The elves local went out on strike
Rudolph got the runs on a test flight over Albuquerque

And then the door opened and golden light shown in and there was the cutest angel you ever saw, dragging in a Christmas Tree.

"Where do you want me to put the tree?", she asked.

And that`s the story of why we have angels atop our Christmas trees.

On an evening out with his cronies, Mike raised a toast,"To the best years of my life, spent between the legs of my wife!" But, later, embarrassed at what he'd said, he told wife Katie that he'd toasted her with, "To the best years of my life, spent in church beside my wife."

Next day, one of Katie's friends, who'd learnt of the toast from her own husband, congratulated Katie on Mike's having raised such a flattering salute to her.

"Aye, and I wish it were true," sighed Katie, "But really it only happened twice - once before we got married, and once after. And the second time I had to wake him up when it was all over..."

Posted by Mr. Tyndale's Ghost (# 251) on :

Well, this has SOMETHING of a religous theme:

Three men, a rabbi, a Hindu priest and a lawyer, are walking along a country road when it becomes dark. They stop at a farm house and ask for lodging. The farmer agrees, but adds that he only has two spare beds, so one of the men must sleep in the barn. The Hindu agrees. The others go to bed.

A while later there is a knock at the door. It's the Hindu. "I am very sorry, sir," he says to the farmer, "But there is a cow in your barn. Cows are sacred to me. I cannot sleep with them." The rabbi volunteers to take his place.

A short while later there's another knock. It's the rabbi. "Sorry, gentlemen, but there is a pig in the barn! They're not kosher, so I can't sleep there." After much hemming and hawing, the lawyer agrees to replace the rabbi.

A few minutes later there's ANOTHER knock on the door. It's the cow and the pig...

Posted by green (# 1658) on :

met a man once with what he said was a
*born again* dog.
i was very skeptical, but he said
"watch this, i'll PROVE it"...
so, he threw a stick & shouted
"FETCH BOY FETCH!!" & the dog ran off & fetched the stick.
"great" i said "but ANY dog will do that."
"ah but watch this" he said.
& he shouted "SIT! & stay" & the dog sat & stayed.
"yeah great" i said "but ANY dog will do
that".
"ok" he said "but watch THIS!"
& he shouted "& now HEAL BOY HEAL!!"
& the dog slapped his paw on my forehead & started talking in TONGUES...

(u really need the healing impression to finish this one, but u get my drift...)

Posted by jemmi (# 548) on :

3 Nuns (2 apprentices & mother superior) are killed in a road accident & when they got to the pearly gates St Peter tells them that to enter heaven they have to answer a simple question so St Peter says to the 1st apprentice "what was the name of the 1st man?" So she says "Adam" then he says to the 2nd apprentice "What was the name of the garden where Adam & Eve lived?" So she says "Eden" Then he comes to the Mother Superior & says as you are Mother Superior your question will be tougher, so he asks "What was the 1st words Eve spoke to Adam?" She ponders a while and says "Ooh that's a hard one" To which Peter replies "correct!"

When the ship went down, and the lifeboat was overloaded, it became clear that, unless the load was lessened, everyone would drown. There happened to be several Religious on the lifeboat - a Dominican, a Benedictine, a Franciscan, and a Jesuit - and they decided to make the sacrifice.

The Benedictine crossed himself, said, "Long live work and prayer!," and jumped into the ocean.
The Dominican said, "Long live Truth!," and jumped in.
The Franciscan said, "Long live God!" - and threw in the Jesuit.

-----

Dan wasn't the best of drivers, and, after one especially devastating collision, was shocked to see that it was Father O'Connor who was the driver of the car he'd smashed!

"Danny!," cried out the shaken and wounded priest, "You almost killed me!"

"There, there, Father," soothed Danny. "Keep yourself calm, now. It happens I have a bit of whiskey somewhere here... let me get a bit of it for you."

A while later, a bit pacified, Father O'Connor added, "Well, Danny, that was a foolish thing you did, but Lord knows we all make mistakes. Would you be joining me in a bit of the creature now - you yourself had quite a shock?"

"Oh, no, Father," Danny replied. "Since you're the one who got the worst of it, it's you who should be relaxing with the whiskey. I'll just sit here, now, and wait for the police."

----
An Augustinian, Benedictine, Dominican, and Franciscan were arguing amongst each other about which of their Orders had done the work most pleasing to God. It was becoming rather heated, and finally, before it disintegrated into a major unholy row, they decided to join in prayer and ask God to reveal His own choice.

Shortly afterward, a parchment drifted from the sky. On it was inscribed, "My sons, do not fight amongst yourselves! All of you are equally pleasing to me!" Signed: God, SJ

---
The following joke is absolutely terrible, but I include it because, when I once told it to a parish housekeeper, Mary, her response was far funnier than this horrid joke. For the rest of this to make sense, I must add that Mary, easily the best cook and housekeeper on earth, was a lady to spout much woe, and, in particular, to tell everyone, in detail, about the pain she suffered from her corns. The joke:

John was the sort of man who found that any decision he made was a disaster. He was relieved, on the occasion when he needed to take a flight to Brussels, that there was only one available. No decisions means no bad luck... or does it?

During the flight, the aircraft had major problems, and John was to find that he was dropping through the air, no parachute, hurtling to the ground! In desperation, John called, "Saint Francis, Saint Francis, help me!"

A big hand came forth from the sky and caught John mid-drop. "Oh, is that you, Saint Francis?"

A voice replied, "It is, my son, if indeed you have called upon me."

John sighed, "Oh, thank you, Saint Francis!"

The voice continued, "But one question first. Did you ask for Francis Xavier or Francis of Assisi?"

When I told this to Mary, she replied, with total frustration and disgust, "It's no use talking to Saint Francis! Do you know how many times I have told him about the corns on my feet?!"

The very well-heeled Mr Smythe was one to visit many a church, leaving a donation at each. One day, he stopped at his very posh parish, and noticed a solid gold telephone was on the desk. When he asked what it was, he was told that it was a direct wire to heaven. Smyth, fascinated, asked if he could use the telephone - and was told that, indeed he could, but this would require a donation of fifty thousand. So, he did so.

A week later, Smythe made his annual call on a very poor parish, and noticed another of the gold telephones there. He inquired if this was another line to heaven, and was told indeed it was. Again, he asked if he could use it, and was told that he was welcome to do so, but could he please leave a donation of 50p.

"50p? When I used the same telephone at another church, it cost me 50 thousand!"

"Yes, sir, we know - but, from here, it is a local number."

Three ministers, a Baptist, a Campbellite and an Anglican were out fishing in a boat. The Campbellite noticed that they were almost out of bait, stood up, stepped over the side of the boat, walked to shore, picked up the bait bucket and walked back. The Anglican hardly noticed, the Baptist was dumbstruck.

An hour later, the Anglican said that he was getting hungry, and offered to go get lunch. He stood up, stepped over the side of the boat, walked to shore, picked up the picnic basket, and walked back. The Campbellite hardly noticed. The Baptist was dumbfounded.

A while later, the Baptist figured that if the others could do it, so could he. He announced that he was feeling a bit chilled and needed his jacket on shore. He stood up, stepped over the side of the boat, and promptly sank to the bottom.

As the Baptist came up sputtering, the Campbellite looked at the Anglican and said, "Should we tell him where the rocks are?"

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

Q: What do you get when you cross a Jehovah's Witness and a Unitarian?
A: Someone who goes door to door for no particular reason
-----
Q: Why are Unitarians such terrible hymn-singers?
A: They're always reading ahead to see if they agree with the hymn.

Sieg

Posted by green (# 1658) on :

to ALL of the above

1 MAJOR GUFFAW,
3.5 chuckles
& a sneaky SNIGGER...

A miserly old man had arranged for all his money to be exchanged for gold bullion. When the Angel of Death came, he said that he would not go unless he could take the gold with him. The Angel of Death said, "No carry-ons. That's the rule." The miserly old man insisted that the Angel ask God. The Angel said, "It's no use, but OK. I'll be back in a flash."

Well, the Angel of Death came back, totally wide-eyed, and said, "Sir, I've been on this job for over 6,000 years, and this is the first time God has OK'ed carry-on luggage! He said you could have 2 suitcases." So the old man puts his hands on the two suitcases of gold bullion, and he and the Angel go up to the pearly gates.

When St. Peter saw them approaching, he said, "No carry-ons." But the old man insisted that St. Pete contact God, that they had permission, and the Angel of Death confirmed it. St. Pete, still skeptical, picked up the golden telephone and before he asked the question, God granted permission for two suitcases for this particular soul.

WELL! St. Peter said to the man, "Look, I know it's none of my business, but I am SO curious--do you mind if I look in your bags." Smugly, the old man opened them both. St. Pete looks into one, then the other, then at the old man. Totally astonished, he says,

(Ready?)

"You brought PAVEMENT?????"

Posted by Peregrinner (# 409) on :

Why are synagogues round?

So the jews can't hide in the corner.

Posted by The Mid (# 1559) on :

A man was feeling rather low down and decided to end his life. He was too scared to hang himself and he didn't have a gun, so he went to jump off a cliff. As he was about to jump he heard a voice saying, "Don't jump! Cardinal Clancy will save you!"
The man looked around but couldn't see anyone. He got ready to jump again. Again the voice cried out, "Don't jump! Cardinal Clancy will save you!"
Again the man looked around but could not see where the voice came from. He readied himself to jump a third time, when again the voice shouted, "Don't jump! Cardinal Clancy will save you!"
The man looked around asking, "Who is Cardinal Clancy?", to which the voice responded,

"Jump you Protestant bastard, jump!"

Margaret confided in her pastor that she was thinking of divorcing her husband. He asked why this was so-
"Has he been involved in adultery?"
"Adultery! Father, the man's as childish as it gets!"

"Well, does he go in for unnatural connubial practices?"
"He's been known to play the fiddle a bit, Father, but I've never heard him practising on any connubial."

"Do the two of you have a grudge?"
"Grudge? No, we have a car port."

"What is it then, that you want to divorce him?"
"Father, one just cannot have an intelligent conversation with the man!"

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinner:
Why are synagogues round?

So the jews can't hide in the corner.

I appreciate a good joke as well as anyone (posted several here myself) but this one is not only not funny, I find it offensive.

Substitute "churches" for "synagogues" and "Christians" for "Jews" and you will see what I mean.

Posted by Fiddleback (# 395) on :

I appreciate a good joke as well as anyone (posted several here myself) but this one is not only not funny, I find it offensive.
Substitute "churches" for "synagogues" and "Christians" for "Jews" and you will see what I mean.

I don't get this one at all. You'll have to explain it, Mr Campbellite.

I loved the one about synagogues though...

Posted by Belisarius (# 32) on :

IMO, that substitution makes it less offensive; the noun form of "Jewish" is borderline derogatory in the USA. I didn't take any historical connotation to the joke and just assumed it referred to lazy worshippers.

I don't get it either. Perhaps Perigrinner could explain it to the rest of us?

Sieg

<HOST HAT ON>

OK, I'm nipping this in the bud before it gets out of control. Granted, it wasn't the most appropriate joke for Heaven, but let's assume it was a lapse of judgement and not intended in malice.

Peregrinner--I wasn't thrilled with this joke, but I tried not jumping to conclusions and wasn't going to interfere. Please learn from this.

<HOST HAT OFF>

One from the Old Boards...

A man rushed into confessional and said "Father, I slept with three women last night!"

"That's horrible," said the priest. "Are you married??"

"No, and I'm Jewish, but I had to tell somebody!"

Posted by Ultraspike (# 268) on :

A Catholic priest, a Rabbi and an Imam were meeting together at an interfaith council when they were interrupted by a secretary who rushed in exclaiming, "God's on the phone for you, Fr. Murphy." Fr. Murphy listens a moment, nods gravely and then hangs up. He turns to the Rabbi and the Imam and says, "I have good news and bad news. The good news is that God loves us. The bad news is he's calling from Salt Lake City."

Posted by Nicodemus (# 708) on :

One Saturday morning in Heaven, Jesus, Moses and an elderly-looking man were playing golf. Moses teed off first and hit the ball right into a lake. He then parted the waters where he found the ball then chipped it up onto the green.

Jesus hit his ball next and it headed to the very same lake, except it landed and floated right on top of the water. Jesus walked on the water right up to it and splashed it up onto the green.

Next the old man drove his ball and it went into the same lake where it was swallowed by a frog, then spit out of the lake, hit a tree, picked up by a bird and dropped lightly into the hole. An incredible hole-in-one.

Moses leaned over to Jesus and said, "Man, I hate playing with your dad."

Three men are at a clergy convention: a priest, a rabbi and a TV evangelist. The subject comes up as to how much of the collection should be kept by the clergy for their upkeep, and how much should go to the organization.

The priest says "Well, I put a box on the floor. Then I toss all the money we've collected up in the air. Whatever lands in the box, that's what I live on."

The rabbi adds "I do almost the same thing, except I draw a circle on the floor with a piece of chalk. What lands in the circle is my salary."

The TV evangelist has his turn: "Too complicated! Why mess with boxes and chalk? I just toss all the money way up in the air, and whatever God doesn't grab, it's mine!"

Another:
A man dies and goes to Hell. As he is getting a tour he sees a group of people being boiled in oil, and asks what they had done wrong. "They're Jews who ate pork," replied the Devil.

The tour continues into a room where people are being whipped mercilessly by little demons. "Catholics who ate meat on Fridays during Lent," the Devil explained.

The third room contained people who were sitting in a kettle of boiling oil, AND being whipped. What was THEIR sin? "Anglicans who ate their dinners with salad forks."

Posted by Gill B (# 112) on :

A barber had just opened up his new business. One of his first customers was a Catholic priest, and he declined payment from him. The following morning he found a bottle of wine on the doorstep with a card 'Many thanks from Father Flanagan'.

A few days later he cut the hair of a Rabbi, and again waived payment. The following morning he found a hamper of Kosher delicacies on the doorstep with a card 'Many thanks from Rabbi Rosenberg'.

Several days later he cut the hair of the Baptist minister, and yet again declined payment. The following morning he found on the doorstep a queue of twelve Baptist ministers

Then there was a Catholic priest on a train with a Rabbi. This being a Virgin West Coast train from London to Manchester, it came to a halt somewhere in Staffordshire for two hours, and the clerics reached the point where they were sharing confidences like old friends. 'Tell me, Rabbi', said the priest, 'just between ourselves, have you ever eaten bacon?' 'Well, Father, I must admit that I did once try some. Just to satisfy my curiosity, you understand. And while we are sharing our most intimate secrets, have you ever given into the temptation to break your vow of chastity?' 'Well, Rabbi, I must admit that I did, just the once, to satisfy my curiosity, you understand'.

There was a reflective silence for a moment, then the Rabbi commented, 'Beats the hell out of bacon, doesn't it?'

One day while walking down the street a highly successful woman lawyer was tragically hit by a bus and she died. Her soul arrived up in heaven where she was met at the Pearly Gates by St. Peter himself.

'Welcome to Heaven,' said St. Peter. 'Before you get settled in though it seems we have a problem. You see, strangely enough, we've never once had a lawyer make it this far and we're not really sure what to do with you.'

'No problem, just let me in.' said the woman.

'Well, I'd like to, but I have higher orders. What we're going to do is let you have a day in Hell and a day in Heaven and then you can choose whichever one you want to spend an eternity in.'

'Actually, I think I've made up my mind...I prefer to stay in heaven'

'Sorry, we have rules...'

And with that St. Peter put the lawyer in a lift and it went down - down - down to hell. The doors opened and she found herself stepping out onto the putting green of a beautiful golf course.

In the distance was a country club and standing in front of her were all her friends - fellow lawyers that she had worked with and they were all dressed in evening gowns and cheering for her. They ran up and kissed her on both cheeks and they talked about old times. They played an excellent round of golf and at night went to the country club where she enjoyed an excellent steak and lobster dinner. She met the Devil who was actually a really nice bloke and she had a great time telling jokes and dancing.

She was having such a good time that before she knew it, it was time to leave. Everybody shook her hand and waved goodbye as she got on the lift. The lift went up - up - up and opened back up at the Pearly Gates and found St. Peter waiting for her. Now it's time to spend a day in heaven.

So she spent the next 24 hours lounging around on clouds and playing the harp and singing. She had a great time and before she knew it her 24 hours were up and St. Peter came and got her.

'So, you've spent a day in hell and you've spent a day in heaven. Now you must choose your eternity.'

The woman paused for a second and then replied, 'Well, I never thought I'd say this, I mean, Heaven has been really great and all, but I think I had a better time in Hell.'

So, St. Peter escorted her to the lift and again she went down - down - down back to Hell. When the doors of the lift opened she found herself standing in a desolate wasteland covered in garbage and filth.

She saw her friends were dressed in rags and were picking up the garbage and putting it in sacks. The Devil came up to her and put his arm around her. 'I don't understand,' stammered the woman, 'yesterday I was here and there was a golf course and a country club and we ate lobster and we danced and had a great time. Now all there is a wasteland of garbage and all my friends look miserable.'

The Devil looked at her and smiled. 'That's because yesterday we were recruiting you, but today you're staff.'

Posted by Fiddleback (# 395) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Belisarius:
One from the Old Boards...

A man rushed into confessional and said "Father, I slept with three women last night!"

"That's horrible," said the priest. "Are you married??"

"No, and I'm Jewish, but I had to tell somebody!"

You went and used the 'J' word again! Tell me why your joke is so much more acceptable than Peregrinner's.

Please save this thread from earnest political correctness, otherwise it won't be worthwhile. And keep on posting Peregrinner.

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

One of my all-time favourites!

A carpenter dies and goes to heaven...
One day in Heaven, Jesus is letting in the people. At a certain moment, an ancient man with a beard that touches his feet is trying to go inside. Jesus stops him and says, "Excuse me. Where are you going?"
The old man replies, "I'm going inside, if that's okay with you."
"You must give an account of yourself before I will let you in," Jesus answers, "so what have you accomplished in life?"
"Well, I was a carpenter, and I did have a son -- who I want to see so very much..."
"Tell me about him," Jesus says.
"Many books have been written about my son", the man explains.
This starts to ring a bell with Jesus. He thinks, "Could this man be Joseph?"
Jesus then asks, "Was there anything unusual about his birth?"
"Why, yes," says the old man. "I wasn't strictly his father in the biological sense -- he was born in, ah, a supernatural way."
"Really?" asks Jesus. "Tell Me more."
"Well, he left home and I never saw him again."
Jesus pauses. "Did he have any distinguishing characteristics?"
"Well -- my son had nails pierced through his hands and feet."
Jesus can't hold back His tears any longer. He spreads His arms and cries, "Papa!"
The old man looks Him in the eyes and exclaims, "Pinocchio!"

quote:
Originally posted by Fiddleback:
You went and used the 'J' word again! Tell me why your joke is so much more acceptable than Peregrinner's.

Please save this thread from earnest political correctness, otherwise it won't be worthwhile. And keep on posting Peregrinner.

In my mind, the punchline relies on the person being non-Catholic. The actual religion of the confessor is irrelevant, so this joke isn't making fun of the person for being a Jew. You could use a baptist, but I think it works a bit better if the person isn't associated with any Christian church, since many non-Christians don't distinguish between denominations/sects.
Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if this joke originated with one of our many Jewish comedians.

Sieg

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

You will have to decide which of these (if any) is off-colour and which is not.

----------------------------------------

A Rabbi, a Priest, and a Minister were having a picnic one hot summer's day, and decided as there was nobody around, and a lake nearby, to go skinny-dipping.

They leave their clothes and vestments on some bushes, and jump into the lake.

Just then several vans drive up with ladies from each clergyman's congregation. The priest and the minister run helter-skelter for their clothes, shielding their private parts with both hands. The Rabbi strolls casually over to his clothes, shielding his face with his hands.

When they are all dressed and back at a cafe in town talking about their experience, the priest and the minister turned to the rabbi and said, "Why did you hide your face instead of your private parts?"

The Rabbi says, "Well obviously I can't speak for you gentlemen, but the ladies of my congregation would recognize my face, not my privates...."

--------------------------

Four rabbis were arguing about whose interpretation of the Torah was the correct one. It was three against one. Finally the one said, "If my interpretation is correct, may Ha-Shem confirm it himself!"

Just then a voice came from the sky, "Why do you three argue with my beloved rabbi, whose interpretation is the correct one?"

The three said, "Okay, now it's three against TWO."

--------------------------------

A priest, a rabbi, and an imam were talking about their experiences of the miraculous. The imam said, "I was lost in a terrible blizzard, and prayed to Allah to save me, and all around me for 100 yards it was as warm as a spring day. I made it back to my house and thanked Allah for his great mercy."

The priest said, "I was rowing in a boat when a squall came up and threatened to capsize me. I prayed out to Jesus Christ, and all around me for 100 yards it was as calm as a still morning. I rowed safely to shore and thanked Jesus Christ for his great mercy."

The Rabbi said, "I was walking to synagogue, when all of a sudden I saw a twenty-dollar bill on the ground. I couldn't pick it up because that would be doing work on the Sabbath. So I prayed to Ha-Shem, and all around me for 100 yards it was Tuesday...."

---------------------------------

Rdr Alexis

A minister, a priest and a rabbi were discussion when life begins.

The minister argued eloquently that life begins at birth.

The Priest argued that the teachings of the Church made it clear that life begins at conception.

The Rabbi replied, "you both have it wrong! Life begins when the last child moves out and the dog dies."

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

Administrator Hat On

quote:
Originally posted by Fiddleback:

Though I think humor suffers from belabored explanations, I'll help you out, Fiddle and others. There is a very easy rule of thumb about such jokes, laid out by Miss Manners (etiquette writer Judith Martin's nom de plume)

Peregrinner's joke was quite offensive because it was a joke told about an identifiable group, by an outsider to that group, based on (long-standing) negative stereotypes of that group.

Bel's joke is not offensive by that standard, because although it was told by an outsider, is not based on any negative stereotype about that group, and in fact, the group identification of the subject of the joke is essentially irrelevant -- the subject merely had to be someone who wouldn't be in any way obligated or accustomed to go to confession.

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

Administrator Hat Still On

I should, however, have noted that, Fiddleback, there is no need to incite peregrinner to "keep on posting" in the same vein, which smacks of trolling, based on your well-known feelings about what you call "political correctness". I do hope peregrinner will indeed keep posting, but in future avoid the type of offensive humor I described above. As you'll note, in any case, nobody thought it was funny. Most people have internalized the "no nasty ethnic jokes by outsiders to the subject group" rule I described above.

And, dear Fiddleback, if you wish to argue against Political Correctness in general, you know very well that Heaven, on a joke thread, isn't the place for it.

Administrator Hat /Off

There is a traffic accident, and three blondes who were in the same vehicle together die instantly. They go to the pearly gates, and St. Peter tells them that each one has to answer one question in order to get in.

St. Peter turns to the first blonde. "What is the importance of Easter?"

She says, "That's when everyone gets to wear masks and cool costumes and people give you candy when you go door to door."

St. Peter pushes a button and activates a trap door, and asks the second blonde, "What is the importance of Easter?"

She replies, "Easter is a big religious holiday, and we go shopping at great stores and wrap up cool presents and give them to each other. But I forget why that is religious, sorry."

St. Peter pushes the same button and asks the third blonde, "What is the importance of Easter?"

She replies, "Oh, this is very important. Jesus died horribly on a cross to save us from our sins, and after he died he was put into a cave-tomb thing, with a big rock in front," and at this point St. Pete begins to reach for a halo and harp, but the blonde continues, "and the angel rolls the stone away, and if Jesus sees his shadow, there are six more weeks of winter."*

* If some of you don't know about this, it's an American folk holiday. On Feb. 2nd, if a certain groundhog in Pennsylvania sees his shadow, we have 6 more weeks of winter. It's called Groundhog Day.

More than you really want to know about Groundhog Day, and about Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, home of the world-famous weather forecasting groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil.

Bill Clinton and the Archbishop of Canterbury both die on the same day and approach St. Peter at the Pearly Gates. St. Peter informs them that they must both do penance for their sins on earth. A few weeks later Bill is walking arm in arm with his penance, a very homely shrew who constantly nags and pesters him. He sees the ABofC walking around arm in arm with Marilyn Monroe, apparently having a great time. He goes to St. Peter and asks him why he is saddled with this homely hag and the AB gets Marilyn Monroe. St. Peter replies, "Now Bill, you do your penance and let Marilyn do hers."

Posted by RainShowers (# 641) on :

A daddy was listening to his child start his evening prayer, "Dear Howard...."

At this, Dad interrupted and said, "Wait a minute. How come you called God, 'Howard'"?

The little boy looked up and said, "That's waht they call Him in church. You know the prayer we say, 'Our Father, who art in Heaven, Howard be thy name'".

Posted by Joan the Dwarf (# 1283) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RainShowers:
A daddy was listening to his child start his evening prayer, "Dear Howard...."

At this, Dad interrupted and said, "Wait a minute. How come you called God, 'Howard'"?

The little boy looked up and said, "That's waht they call Him in church. You know the prayer we say, 'Our Father, who art in Heaven, Howard be thy name'".

Of course, in Britain He's called Harold

Reminds me of the fact that when I was little I was convinced that at the end of the readings everyone said "Thanks Peter God". It was only after bothering to look at a service book that I realised they were actually saying "Thanks be to God"!

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Administrator Hat Still On

I should, however, have noted that, Fiddleback, there is no need to incite peregrinner to "keep on posting" in the same vein, which smacks of trolling, based on your well-known feelings about what you call "political correctness". I do hope peregrinner will indeed keep posting, but in future avoid the type of offensive humor I described above. As you'll note, in any case, nobody thought it was funny. Most people have internalized the "no nasty ethnic jokes by outsiders to the subject group" rule I described above.

<snip>

Administrator Hat /Off

I supppose I should really let this subject die, but I have to go on the record as saying that I found the joke amusing, so it is not true that "no one found it funny".
I also took it as generic (i.e., not depending on the Jewish reference to make it funny); perhaps because I have known of many non-round synagogues, not to mention quite a number of Christian churches which didn't have corners, so I just took it as a joke about religious people, *any* religious people, wanting to hide from God. (And don't we all have that urge at times?)

Posted by Chapelhead (# 1143) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RainShowers:
The little boy looked up and said, "That's what they call Him in church. You know the prayer we say, 'Our Father, who art in Heaven, Howard be thy name'".

In his young days as a naval officer Lord Louis Mountbatten was given command of HMS Wishart after having commanded HMS Daring. He took some of his officers and crew with him to the new ship and there is an (allegedly true) story that, having previously served in a ship with the heart-stirring name of "Daring", they were a little disappointed that their new ship was called "Wishart" (named after a fairly obscure British Admiral). Mountbatten, hearing of this, said to them that while HMS Daring had a fine name, they should be proud that their new ship was named after Almighty god himself,

"Our Father Wishart in heaven".

Posted by Elijah on Horeb (# 1614) on :

This one arose in the earlier years of the Uniting Church in Australia, comprising a union of Methodists, Presbyterians and Congregationalists. At that time we were still getting to one another's peculiarities!

The Assembly of the Uniting Church was in session when the fire alarm sounded.
The ex-Methodists cried, "Wait, we must form a committee to see that all is done in decency and order!"
The ex-Presbyterians shouted, "Save the Offertory Plates!"
The ex-Congregationalists said, "Every man for himself!"

A doctor, an architect and a civil servant were debating which of theirs was the oldest profession (that is, after that other one which is almost universally agred to be the oldest!)
The doctor said, "When God removed the rib from Adam in order to create Eve, there would have to have been a doctor in attendance at that operation."
The architect replied, "But God would have needed the services of an architect when he first planned to create the world out of chaos."
"Ah!" said the civil servant, "but you know, where there is chaos, there must always be a civil servant!"

Posted by Calvin (# 271) on :

Saint Peter is watching the gates of heaven but really has to go to the bathroom. He asks Jesus to watch the gates for a few minutes and Jesus says "fine"

St. Peter takes the book which lists everyone who's supposed to get into
Heaven that day with him to the bathroom to have something read.

As Jesus is standing there, he sees an old man leading a donkey up from earth to heaven. He notices the old man has carpenter's tools with him. When the old man gets to the gates, Jesus explains that he doesn't have the book but asks the old man to explain his life and why he felt he should be admitted to heaven.

Jesus would then make the decision whether or not to let him in based on the story.

The man explained "In English my name would be Joseph, but I didn't live in America or England. I lived a modest life, making things out of wood. I'm not remembered very well by most people but almost everyone has heard of my son. I call him my son, but I was more of a Dad to him, he didn't really come into this world in the usual way.

I sent my son out to be among the people of the world; he was ridiculed by many, and was even known to associate himself with some pretty unsavoury characters, although he himself tried to be honest and perfect. My biggest single reason for trying to get into heaven is to be reunited with my son."

Jesus is awe-struck by the man's story. He looks into the old man's eyes and asks, "Are you MY Father?"

The old man's face brightens; he looks at Jesus and asks, "Are you Pinocchio?"

Posted by sarkycow (# 1012) on :

How many Anglicans does it take to change a lightbulb?
CHANGE?!?!?!?

or an alternative...
Three; one to change it, and two to storm out in protest if the person changing it is a woman!!!!

How many charismatics does it take to change a lightbulb?
Only one, seeing as their hands are already in the air!!

How many evangelicals does it take to change a lightbulb?
Ten, one to change it, and nine to pray against the evils of darkness!!!!

How many worship leaders does it take to change a lightbulb?
One; He/she just puts it in the socket and the rest of the world revolves around him!!!!

How many TV evangelists does it take to change a lightbulb?
One, but for the message of hope to continue to go forth, send in your donation today!!!!

Posted by Stephen (# 40) on :

quote:
Originally posted by sarkycow:

or an alternative...
Three; one to change it, and two to storm out in protest if the person changing it is a woman!!!!

I believe HT had quite a good take on this a while back.
One to call the electrician,one to mix the martinis and one to whinge about how much better the old light-bulb was.....
Of course this is all very well,but nobody's considered the feelings of the light-bulb.I mean the light -bulb has really got to
want to change......

Posted by daisymay (# 1480) on :

Jesus has just fininshed writing in the sand and saying, "The one who is without sin, throw the first stone," and the elders are creeping away, eldest first. The woman caught in adultery stands up, and a stone comes whizzing thro the air and hits her and hits her right between the eyes. Jesus looks over the crowd and sighs, "Mother, how could you?"

---------------------------
An old shul in the East End and the ladies decide to clean and polish it. Afterwards, they put up a notice saying, "No Spitting!" Next Shabbas an old man comes in and mutters, "What! have we gone Reform!"

What's the difference between a Baptist sacristy, a Roman Catholic sacristy and an Anglican sacristy?

A Baptist sacristy has a picture of Jesus.
An RC sacristy has a picture of Mary.
An Anglican sacristy has a full-length mirror.

quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:

An Anglican sacristy has a full-length mirror.

Of course.,.....how else are you going to check that you're robed correctly?

Posted by Anydaynow (# 2074) on :

What are the three ages of man?

First, to believe in Santa
Second, to want to be Santa
Three, just kinda looks like Santa.

Posted by Anydaynow (# 2074) on :

...a community of ducks waddling off to duck church to hear the duck preacher. The duck preacher spoke eloquently of how God had given the ducks wings with which to fly. With these wings there was nowhere the ducks could not go, there was no God-given task the ducks could not accomplish. With those wings they could soar into the presence of God himself. Shouts of "Amen" were quacked throughout the duck congregation. At the conclusion of the service, the ducks left, commenting on what a wonderful message they had heard -- and waddled back home. -not a joke but a sort of a parable by Soren Kierkegaard

A terrible hurricane and flood came. People were evacuated and quickly as possible, but some were trapped by the rising water.

One man, very firm in his faith, climbed to the roof of his home. Two men in a rowboat (punt) came by, and said, "We have room, get in, we can take you to safety." The man on the roof refused, saying, "I trust in the Lord, and the Lord will save me."

Later, a motorboat with other refuges came by, and offered him the last seat, but he declined, saying, "I trust in the Lord, and the Lord will save me."

Day turned into night. The waters rose more and more. The man was forced to hold onto the chimney to keep from being tossed into the water. A helicopter with a search light came along. The pilot saw the man, and the co-pilot threw a rope ladder to him. "CLIMB UP! WE WILL TAKE YOU TO SAFETY" came the message from the loudspeaker. "I TRUST IN THE LORD, AND THE LORD WILL SAVE ME!" the man on the roof shouted back. The helicopter stayed there for a few minutes more, hoping he would change his mind, but they finally banked away to look for other survivors.

The night dragged on. Finally, the man on the roof was so exhausted that his hands slipped and he fell into the water and drowned. His soul left his body and he travelled to the very throne of God.

"Why didn't you save me?" the man cried out, in front of the angels and saints. "I trusted you!"

God shrugged. "I sent you two boats and and helicopter. What more did you want?"

Posted by Charles (# 357) on :

A minister and a bank manager were out playing golf.
The bank manager was not having a good game.
He sliced his shots, he ended up in the ditch, the stream, the pond, the rough, you name it, he did it!
As the game progressed the bank manager got more, and more, bad tempered and his language worse!
It was **** this and b***** that and s** that!
I put in stars to spare your blushes!
The minister tut-tutted at every new outburst until, on the 17th he said to the bank manager, “You must realise that your language is most displeasing to God. He must be very angry with you. You will reap your reward!”
At the 18th tee the bank manager missed his ball completely whereupon he let out a torrent of foul language!
No sooner had he spoken than a dark cloud formed in the heavens and thunder rolled.
Suddenly a fork of lightning came down and killed the minister.
At once a loud voice was heard saying, “F*ck it missed!”

And God said to Moses, “Keep taking the tablets”

And the Profit said, “Go forth and multiply…..or words to that effect.”

Happy New Year!

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

How many Anglicans does it take to change a light bulb?

You can't change that, my grandmother donated it in 1957.

A Quaker heard a noise downstairs in the middle of the night. fearing it might be a burglar, he got up, grabbed his hunting rifle and went to investigate.

Silently he descended the stairs and searched in the darkness.

Sure enough, in the dining room, he saw a man rummaging through his silver drawer.

The Quaker aimed his rifle, turned on the lights and said, "Pardon me, friend. I wouldst not harm thee for anything, but thou standest where I am about to shoot."

Posted by Cliona (# 2035) on :

Fr. O'Grady got out of bed one sunny morning, and really really didn't feel like going to say mass in the convent, so he called them to say he was sick and went to play golf instead. At the first hole, he got a hole in one...at the second, another hole in one and so it went until the 18th hole, where he fell to his knees to give thanks for the round he had played. "Thankyou Father, for making me such a great golfer!" he said. "Ah yes," came a voice back. "But who are you going to tell?"

Posted by brodavid (# 460) on :

From the "Theological/Obscure" file:

Why won't a premillenial dispensationsist go to the dentist?

They refuse to say "ah".

Remember, an explanation would only spoil the humor.

An Orangeman is dying. He tells his family to send for the priest. After querying whether his mind is going, they do so. The priest is brought to the bed-side of the dying man and the others are sent out. after a while the priest comes out smiling. He says nothing. The family rush in and ask what has been going on. The Orangeman says, "I've just been received into the Roman Catholic Church." Shock, horror from everyone present. Then his wife says, "But you have fought these papists all your life!" "Yes," the dying man replies, "better one of them dies than one of us."

Another deathbed joke:

The Bishop was dying. Due to his weakness, his doctor gave strict orders that he receive only the most important visitors. Many distinguish clergymen and parishioners were turned away. The Bishop, however, insisted on seeing an old friend who was now a militant atheist.

After a brief visit, the atheist wondered aloud why he, out of all the Bishop's friends, was admitted.

"I'm sure I'll see all my other friends in Heaven," said the Bishop. "This is the last chance I have to see you!"

Three women die together in an accident and go to heaven. When they get there, St. Peter says, "We only have one rule here in heaven... don't step on the ducks". So they enter heaven, and sure enough, there are ducks all over the place. It is almost impossible not to step on a duck, and although they try their best to avoid them, the first woman accidentally steps on one.

Along comes St. Peter with the ugliest man she ever saw. St. Peter chains them together and says, "Your punishment for stepping on a duck is to spend eternity chained to this ugly man!" The next day, the second woman steps accidentally on a duck, and along comes St. Peter, who doesn't miss a thing, and with him is another extremely ugly man.
He chains them together with the same admonishment as for the first woman.

The third woman has observed all this and not wanting to be chained for all eternity to an ugly man, is very, VERY careful where she steps. She manages to go months without stepping on any ducks, but one day St.Peter comes up to her with the most handsome man she has ever laid eyes on... very tall, tanned, muscular, and thin. St. Peter chains them together without saying a word.

The woman remarks, "I wonder what I did to deserve being chained to you for all of eternity?" The guy says, "I don't know about you, but I stepped on a duck."

Posted by James (# 495) on :

Bill Clinton and the Pope die on the same day but due to a mix-up at the Pearly Gates Bill is admitted to Heaven while the Pope is sent to Hell.
The Pope protests to the angel taking him down the stairs and the angel promises to have a word with the guys in the office to sort the problem out.
Sure enough, the next morning the Pope-after an uncomfortable night-is called to the bottom of the stairs where the attendant apologises and sends him on his way to heaven. Halfway up he meets Bill and overcome by his conscience he apologises "Sorry Bill but I've always wanted to meet the Virgin Mary"
and Bill replies "Well you've come one day too late"

Posted by AbundantJoy (# 2082) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gill B:
A barber had just opened up his new business. One of his first customers was a Catholic priest, and he declined payment from him. The following morning he found a bottle of wine on the doorstep with a card 'Many thanks from Father Flanagan'.

A few days later he cut the hair of a Rabbi, and again waived payment. The following morning he found a hamper of Kosher delicacies on the doorstep with a card 'Many thanks from Rabbi Rosenberg'.

Several days later he cut the hair of the Baptist minister, and yet again declined payment. The following morning he found on the doorstep a queue of twelve Baptist ministers
(Groan....bad joke....)

One day while walking down the street a highly successful woman lawyer was tragically hit by a bus and she died. Her soul arrived up in heaven where she was met at the Pearly Gates by St. Peter himself.

'Welcome to Heaven,' said St. Peter. 'Before you get settled in though it seems we have a problem. You see, strangely enough, we've never once had a lawyer make it this far and we're not really sure what to do with you.'

'No problem, just let me in.' said the woman.

'Well, I'd like to, but I have higher orders. What we're going to do is let you have a day in Hell and a day in Heaven and then you can choose whichever one you want to spend an eternity in.'

'Actually, I think I've made up my mind...I prefer to stay in heaven'

'Sorry, we have rules...'

And with that St. Peter put the lawyer in a lift and it went down - down - down to hell. The doors opened and she found herself stepping out onto the putting green of a beautiful golf course.

In the distance was a country club and standing in front of her were all her friends - fellow lawyers that she had worked with and they were all dressed in evening gowns and cheering for her. They ran up and kissed her on both cheeks and they talked about old times. They played an excellent round of golf and at night went to the country club where she enjoyed an excellent steak and lobster dinner. She met the Devil who was actually a really nice bloke and she had a great time telling jokes and dancing.

She was having such a good time that before she knew it, it was time to leave. Everybody shook her hand and waved goodbye as she got on the lift. The lift went up - up - up and opened back up at the Pearly Gates and found St. Peter waiting for her. Now it's time to spend a day in heaven.

So she spent the next 24 hours lounging around on clouds and playing the harp and singing. She had a great time and before she knew it her 24 hours were up and St. Peter came and got her.

'So, you've spent a day in hell and you've spent a day in heaven. Now you must choose your eternity.'

The woman paused for a second and then replied, 'Well, I never thought I'd say this, I mean, Heaven has been really great and all, but I think I had a better time in Hell.'

So, St. Peter escorted her to the lift and again she went down - down - down back to Hell. When the doors of the lift opened she found herself standing in a desolate wasteland covered in garbage and filth.

She saw her friends were dressed in rags and were picking up the garbage and putting it in sacks. The Devil came up to her and put his arm around her. 'I don't understand,' stammered the woman, 'yesterday I was here and there was a golf course and a country club and we ate lobster and we danced and had a great time. Now all there is a wasteland of garbage and all my friends look miserable.'

The Devil looked at her and smiled. 'That's because yesterday we were recruiting you, but today you're staff.'

I have always heard this joke told as " Bill Gates dies and goes to the pearly gates. St. Peter says you have done both good and bad things...so we are letting you tour heaven and hell. He went to hell and he saw beautiful beaches and women and computers and loved it. He went to heaven and spent time there. When SP asked where he wanted to be, he said hell. Sp said Ok. A week later, Bill is in anguish and being tortured. Where are all the beaches and women? he asked. The devil laughed. That's just a screensaver.

(ps. Jesus is always a better computer techie because Jesus saves! )

A moyle wants to give his wife a special gift for their anniversary. (For those of you unaware of the term, a moyle is a doctor who performs ritual circumcisions on Jewish babies). Anyway, the big day comes and he presents his wife with a beautiful purse.

"Sweetheart, this is GORGEOUS!," the Mrs exclaims. "Such wonderful fine leather. How could you afford such elegant material?"

"Easy, I saved my tips."

Posted by Steve_R (# 61) on :

And whilst we're on the subject...

A man is travelling through a Jewish area when his watch goes wrong. Seeing a shop with a lot of clocks in the window he goes in and asks for his watch to be repaired. "I'm sorry," says the shopkeeper, "I'm not a watch repairer, I'm the local moyle" (see above joke). "Well why have you got clocks in your window then?" asks the traveller. "What would you put in the window?" replies the moyle.

BTW did you realise that the purse in Mr Tyndale's Ghost's joke was a magic purse?

Rub it gently and it turns into a suitcase...

Posted by Ann (# 94) on :

A priest lay dying. He asked for his lawyer and banker to see him on his death bed. As they came near he grasped their hands and prepared to meet his Maker. The men were curious and asked why he wanted them near him and, with his last breath, he told them, "Jesus died between two thieves, and so shall I."

An elderly minister had just retired, and finding himself with some time to spare, he decided to decorate the bedroom. As he moved the furniture, he discovered a box in the back of the wardrobe, containing £350 and eight eggs. He asked his wife what they were for.

'Well, every time you preached a bad sermon, I put an egg into the box'.

He decided that seven duff sermons in the course of his long ministry was not bad going, and felt rather cheered at the prospect. 'And what about the £350?' he asked.

'Well, every time I got up to a dozen I sold them.'

Posted by Puffin (# 1295) on :

A man went to see a consultant about a brain transplant. Medical discussions progressed well and so they moved on to the questions of cost. "There are various options, " explained the consultant. " You could have a general's brain for 20,000 pounds or you might prefer an academic's brain for 30,000 pounds. Unless of course you'd like a clergyman's brain for 100,000 pounds." "Why does a clergyman's brain cost so much more?" asked the patient curiously. "Hardly used, as new, " came the terse reply.

Mr. Tyndale's Ghost--you should have posted that one on the circumcism-mas thread--the folks there have been wondering what happens to the "tips."

Sam and Sadie jokes are popular with my Jewish friends. If you want a Christian equivalent, change them to Olie and Lena Norwegian Lutheran jokes. Anyway, here goes...

Sadie is complaining to Sam one night that they never travel. "Every week I go to the mah jong game," she says, "And all the girls are bragging about the great places that they've been to. Sylvia's just been to Jerusalem. Sarah's just gotten back from Tokyo. And where do we ever go? The Catskills!"

Sam offers a solution: "Listen, sweetheart, you know we cant afford any fancy trips right now. But here's what I'll do. Right next to my office is a travel agency. I'll go in and get you some brochures. You can read them, and pretend you've been to the places they describe!"

Sadie agrees to try this, and Sam brings home a thick stack of booklets about Italy. Next week at the mah jong game the following dialogue takes place:

Sarah: "So, Sadie, where did you and Sam go last summer?"

Sadie: "Funny you should ask. We took a tour of Italy!"

Sarah: "Really, tell me about it."

Sadie: "Oh, it was SOOOOOOO gorgeous. And we even got a chance to see the Vatican, and to get an audience with the Pope!"

Sarah: "I am SO JEALOUS! So, tell me, Sadie, what's he like."

Sadie: "Oh, he's a wonderful man. His wife, though, I could do without."

Posted by jch (# 2096) on :

re-heard this one: St. Peter says to Grandma that no one can get into heaven unless they are like God - but since humans are mortal, God give them a special deal: all they need is 1,000 points to get in. Grandma says "I was a missionary for 5 years in the jungles of Java!"
"There's a point!" says Peter.
She says "Well, I raised 4 children well and took them to church every Sunday".
"That's another point!" says Peter.
After an hour of reflecting, Grandma has only 100 points and is despairing. Finally, she says "I guess I'll have to throw myself at the feet of Jesus!"
"Bingo!" says Peter, "You've got the rest of your points!"

Posted by IrvinDYalom (# 606) on :

I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of Frisbeetarianism.

It's the belief that, when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck there.

Posted by shoewoman (# 1618) on :

A missionary is walking through the desert when he meets two apparently hungry lions. He falls on his knees and starts praying: "Lord, save me, please! Work a miracle and transform these savage beasts into Christians!" When he opens his eyes again, the lions are sitting in front of him with folded paws. He can't believe his eyes and begins to shout "Hallelujah!", when he hears them praying: "Thank you, Lord, for giving us food......"

Paddy and Johnnie are two young Irish boys full of mischief. Their priest decides it's high time to teach them a lesson, so he tries to catch them after mass. He manages to get one of them, the other runs away. So now there is Paddy standing in front of the priest, and the priest asks with a stern voice: "Paddy, where is God?" Paddy stares at his toes in silence. The priest asks again: "Paddy, where is God?" Paddy stares at his toes in silence. The priest asks for the third time: "Paddy, where is God?" Suddenly, Paddy turns and runs out of the church, down the steps, up the street, until he comes to Johnnie's place. He rings at his door, and when Johnnie opens, he looks at him, wide-eyed, panting: "Bad news, Johnnie! God's missing and we get the blame for it!"

The devil is sitting on the steps outside church, head in hands, shaking with sobs. A compassionate passerby stops and says, "Poor Satan, what's the matter?" Satan replies, "It's those people indoors there. They blame me for everything!"

quote:
Originally posted by sarkycow:
CHANGE?!?!?!?

or an alternative...

Actually, it only takes two: one to fix the gin, the other to telephone the electrician.

No,it takes four,NO....;}
Another to whinge about how much better the previous one was and the fourth to write the report to Ship of Fools.....

This one is absolutely dreadful, but it was told to me by a RC priest friend from Kerry - so blame him!

There is a little known addendum to the gospel story of the woman taken in adultery. Jesus said, "Let those who are among you who are without sin cast the first stone!"

Suddenly, a single stone came hurling through the air, and Jesus, puzzled, looked at the source.

"Oh, Mum!....."

What goes clippety clop, clippety clop, bang bang, clippety clop, clippety clop?

(This is bad.)

An Amish drive by shooting.

Posted by Holier than thou? (# 1650) on :

I really must say that the Amish one was a little unfair, i mean at least all of the others so far insulted have an opportunity to answer back! Actually they do have an ISP but it is Amish Off Line (AOL) which seems to be specifically designed to inhibit the use of technology!

Does God have net access?
If so what ISP would he use?

Posted by Traveller (# 1943) on :

Dai Jones had sung first tenor in the chapel choir for forty years. (This misses something in the telling without the fake accent!) Anyway, one day Dai passed away (No, Dai Dai-d is not the joke).

When he got to the pearly gates, the recording angel asked for his name - to which he replies "Jones - Dai".

"Dai bach, you're just in time for Choir practice, come on in!"

Dai is now in heaven, literally, singing his heart out. The heavenly choir has 10,000 sopranos, 10,000 altos, 10,000 basses and Dai is the only tenor! St. Peter is taking the rehearsal, but after a few bars, he taps his cloud of a music stand and says:

"Will the tenors please make a little less noise."

No comments from tenors please, I'm one myself!

Posted by Holier than thou? (# 1650) on :

A Terry Wogan joke:

One day a electrician died and went off to heaven. When he got there St. Peter was at the Pearly gates, he was looking flustered and told him, "I'm sorry but we have had our fill of people today and seeing as you are noone special we will have to send you off to hell, maybe try again in a few days time" So off he went to hell. When he got there it was hot and horrible, typical hell. He went up to the devil and asked "Can i start doing this place up a bit 'cause it aint half a dump". The devil gave him permission and so off he went. A few days later God and the Devil were having a phone conversation (without Bob). The devil was speaking "Oh remember that electrician chap you sent down a few days ago as you were full up, well he has been very useful down here. Oh yes, we have air conditioners everywhere and have vaccum cleaners getting the place tidy, fridges and freezers are in all of the houses now. Thanks very much for giving him too us."
God cut him off at this point "Hey listen up, i think i want some fridges around here. I want him back"
Devil: "Tough he is staying here he is too much of an asset."
God: "I take you to court"

Devil: "Oh yeah, and where are you going to find a lawyer?"

quote:
Originally posted by Holier than thou?:
I really must say that the Amish one was a little unfair, i mean at least all of the others so far insulted have an opportunity to answer back! Actually they do have an ISP but it is Amish Off Line (AOL) which seems to be specifically designed to inhibit the use of technology!

Does God have net access?
If so what ISP would he use?

I'm going to put Amish links on the Resources for Hell thread, just for fun...

PS: What do you call young Amish people?

Am-lettes

Posted by Stooberry (# 254) on :

how do we know moses wore a wig?
sometimes he was seen with aaron and sometimes without.

when was the first cricket match?
when peter stood up with the eleven and was bold.

did you know snogging was mentioned in the bible?
when john the baptist took his honey and nectar.

Posted by Esmeralda (# 582) on :

Heard on Radio 4 the other day:

Q: What's the difference between God and Tony Blair?
A: God doesn't think he's Tony Blair

Another from my RC priest friend from Kerry - blame him, since it's terrible!

Fr Ross was in the confessional on a Saturday afternoon (a long queue outside, of course) when Peg entered. They chatted a bit after she made her confession. Peg had been away from the parish for an extended period of time, and mentioned that she'd become a professional gymnast. Father commented that he'd always found that sort of work fascinating.

"Well, then, Father," said Peg, "Take a peak out - I'll show you a bit of gymnastics." She exited the confessional, and began to do some handsprings in the aisle.

Mrs Reilly, next on the queue, moaned to the lady next to her, "Ooooooh, sure and look what penances Father is giving today, and me without me knickers on!"

----
This really happened, but sounds like a joke, so I'll include it.

Eleanor had been hearing various "ways of devotion" from other married ladies of her acquaintance, some of which left her puzzled about how to always do what is most perfect. She asked her (our) pastor if it was all right for married couples to have sex before receiving Communion.

His answer, "So long as you do not block the aisles."
----
Another stupid confessional joke - and I heard this one from a bishop!

A priest who was hearing the confessions of children heard six boys in succession say, "Bless me, Father, I have sinned - I threw peanuts in the lake." He naturally was puzzled, wondering why that would be considered a sin by the children.

Another boy entered the confessional next, and Father wearily said to him, "I suppose you are going to tell me you threw peanuts in the lake as well!"

"No, Father," came the response, "I'm Peanuts."

-----

I know that at least one or two others on the Ship are of Italian parentage, and, though they are the only ones who'll catch this joke, I thought it was worth posting. (It indeed is religious - the southern Italian religious practise is primarily centred on marriage and family obligations.)

A married Italian couple were having a dreadful row, and had reached the point of hurling insults at one another.

The husband stormed, "If you don't stop it, I'm going to tell people that you had sex with me before we got married!"

Wife responded, "You do that, and I'll tell them you weren't the first one!"

This was originally on the television show "Cheers!":

Sam was feeling guilty about something, so he decides that he will go to confession and talk to a priest, even though he is not Catholic. The priest tells him, after hearing the confession, to pray a certain number of rosaries.

Cut back to the bar. Sam is exiting his office, rosary in hand, talking with his Catholic co-worker, Carla. He says, "So I have to say all that on each of these beads?"
She replies,

"Hey, this ain't a religion for wimps!"

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Nancy Winningham, I'm sure you must be the Shipmate who knows the greatest number of religious jokes

What is the earliest ever reference to a see-saw?

Psalm 114v.3 (psalter)

Posted by Nunc_Dimittis (# 848) on :

The first Tennis Open Championship mentioned in the Bible was when:

Joseph served in the courts of Pharaoh.

The Pope arrives in NYC for an important UN meeting. His flight is delayed, so he has only 15 minutes to get from JFK airport to the UN building. A car had of course been arranged to pick him up. The Pope tells the driver of his predicament, but the driver says that he will not violate the speed limit. So the Pope says "OK, get in the back, I'll drive." The Pope floors it, weaving through traffic like a madman. Inevitably, even for the Pope, he sees flashing lights behind him, and has to pull over. The officer takes one look in the window, turns pale, and slowly walks back to his squad car. He calls up his superior officer, and tells him "I just pulled this guy over for speeding, but I can't give him a ticket." "Well, why not?" "He's too important" "Well, who is it? The mayor? Did you pull over the mayor?" "No, no, no. Much more important than that." "Was it the president? Please tell me you did not pull over the President of the United States." "No, no, no. Much more important than that." By this time, the superior officer is completely flabbergasted. He yelled "Well, then who the hell did you pull over?!" To which the policeman nervously replied, "Well, I don't know, but he's got the Pope for a driver!"

did you know that david rode a motor bike?

well his triumph was heard in the hills!

A woman brings her fiance home to meet her parents. She and her mother depart from the room, leaving Dad and the young man.

Father: "So, what do you do?"

Fiance: "Sir, I am a scripture scholar."

Father: "Very noble, but how will you be able to support a family?"

Fiance: "I have faith that God will provide."

Father: "You're very devout, good. But what about if your wife is unemployed. How will you feed the two of you?"

Fiance: "God will provide, I am sure."

Father: "But what about children? How will you be able to support them, as well as my daughter?"

Fiance: "I am very confident that God will provide for us."

At that point the daughter comes into the room, and she and her fiance go out for the evening. The parents are left alone.

Father: "Our daughter must have been saying a lot of great things about me."

Mother: "How can you tell?"

Father: "Why, he thinks I'm God!"

Posted by elsi (# 2098) on :

Three engineers are agreed that the human body is such a wonderful feat of creation that truly God must be an engineer. They cannot however (as is the want of engineers!) decide what sort of engineer She must be:

The Mechanical Engineer insists that God must also be a mechanical eng "look at the body - its an amazing machine".

The Electrical Engineer disagrees and proposes that God must be an electrical eng - "Look at the body - its an amazing electrical circuit, all those pulses flying around neural systems"

The Civil Engineer however feels that they are both wrong and that God must clearly be a civil eng "After all, who else would build a waste pipe through the middle of a recreational area?"

Elsi (the wastewater engineer )

Posted by elsi (# 2098) on :

A young man is on his way to meet his girlfriends parents for the first time. He's been invited to join them for a meal before he and his girlfriend head off for a weekend in the country.

On the way to the parent's house he decides to stop at a chemists to buy a little 'something for the weekend'.

The pharmacist approaches him as he's trying to make his purchase and offers help. The young man discusses the various options with the pharmacist and on stating that his girlfriend is rather adventurous and has quite an 'appetite' he takes the pharmacist's advice and buys several boxes of different varieties.

The young man continues on his way and arrives at his girlfriends house. Once all the family arrive they settle down to eat. As they are about to start the mother suggests they all bow their heads to say grace.

Long after the others have finished the young man's head is still bowed and he appears to be muttering in quite feverish prayer.

When he is still praying a few minutes later and the situation is becoming a little awkward, the girlfriend leans over to him and whispers: "you never told me you were so religous."

To which the young man hisses back "and you never told me that your father was a pharmacist..."

Thanks, Chorister. I've been collecting religion-themed jokes for some 30 years, and I'm just thrilled to be adding to my repetoire through all these submissions.

Unfortunately, the crowd that I hang with most of the time won't get the Jesuit jokes--darn!

Ooooooo, Elsi, an engineer joke to boot!
(I'm the family EE, one of my brothers is the wastewater engineer!)

Posted by Abo (# 42) on :

An octogenarian couple dies in a car crash and comes to heaven together. They were model christians and that's why they get a tour by St. Peter himself. As they walk round an see the wonders of heaven, the wife gets more and more enthusiastic and the husband looks more and more furious.
"What's the matter, dear?" she asks. "Don't you like it?" - "It's terrific! You and you b****y health-fads - we could have been here twenty years earlier."

One more death bed joke:

A man who had put off his conversion till the end of his life (in order to die in baptismal innocence, of course) was being baptised very close to in extremis.

"Do you renounce Satan?," he was asked.
The dying man paused for a moment, and said, "Father, at this point, I'd best not be making any enemies."

On old man, lying on his deathbed, calls his wife of 65 years over and tells her that he has found a way to "take it all with him". But he needs her help.

"Sure", she says, "What do you need me to do?"

"Well, Elsie, You know that loose brick in the mantlepiece? Pull it out, and behind it you will find a lock box with the things I indend to take with me."

Elsie goes to the mantle, and sure enough there is a loose brick hiding a lock box. She comes back to his bed and asks, "What do I do with it?"

The old man says, "Go up to the attic, and put in on the window sill. I will take it with me on the way to heaven."

Elsie goes up the the attic, places the box on the window sill, and returns to her dying husband's side.

A few days later, the old man dies. In the midst of the funeral and family gathering, she forgot all about the lock box.

About a week later, after all the relatives have gone home, she remembers the box, and wonders to herself if the old goat really had figured out a way to take it with him.

She goes bakc up to the attic, looks at the window sill, and sure enough, the box is still there!

"Darn it!" she says to herself, "I KNEW I should have put it in the basement."

A man walks down a street in Belfast when he is stopped by a gunman.

"Are you a Protestant or a Catholic?" asks the gunman.

"Neither, I'm Jewish" replies the man.

"Well, are you a Protestant Jew or a Catholic Jew?"

Posted by BarbaraG (# 399) on :

An elderly priest, whose mind is starting to go, is saying Evensong one day. He gets to the creed, but he seems to have lost his place, and just gazes into the distance, humming quietly to himself.

Wanting to be helpful, the young curate leans over, and says "'I believe in God', sir".

The priest smiles, and says "So do I, my boy, so do I."

=================

The Vicar stands up to start the service, but it's clear the congregation can't hear him properly, and the churchwardens are doing nothing to help. So he raises his voice a little and says:

"There's something wrong with the microphone"

to which the congregation reply:

"And also with you"

Posted by nicolemrw (# 28) on :

steve r, theres another punch-line to that one... when the man replies "neither, i'm jewish", the gunman says "sure, and i'm the luckiest arab in all of belfast!"

Posted by ceolnoth cantuar (# 2124) on :

Q: What's God's telephone number?

A: 8 cum spir 8 2 2 0 !

Chukwuma for ABC ! The C of E could use a little exorcise.

Posted by Stooberry (# 254) on :

huh?

(btw... exorcising the CoE might not go down too well...)

Posted by ceolnoth cantuar (# 2124) on :

"Et cum spiritu tuo" (lit. "And with your spirit") : a pre-Vatican-II-ish Catholic version of "And also with you."

A hoary & feeble Latin pun, but one that I enjoy !!

My REAL choices for ABC are London & Stepney; London would continue the "R.C." pattern: Ramsey, Coggan; Runcie, Carey; Richard Chartres.

"Flecte quod est rigidum;
Fove quod est frigidum;
Rege quod est devium."

--Stephen Cardinal Langton, 12th century ABC

It was after midnight, and all the pizzerias in Rome were closed, but one proprietor was still in the restaurant, cleaning up and working on the accounts. The telephone rang, and the cutomer said that he was calling for His Holiness the Pope, who had been working late and would dearly love a fresh pizza. Was there anyway he could make one, even so late?

The proprietor was very flattered to be asked, and proceeded to make the best pizza of his life. When he got into the delivery truck, however, it wouldn't start. He called a taxi and jumped in. When they got to the Vatican, the cabby said, "I won't wait for you unless you pay for the ride so far."

Oh, no! The pizza man had no money with him, and it was all in the safe at the restaurant, which has a time lock, even if they want back and the pizza got cold, he still couldn't get any money! He explained this to the cabby, and the cabby said, "OK, but you have to give me ALL of the money you get for the pizza, and if the pope gives you anything extra, like a tip, I get half of that." The pizza man agreed.

The pizza man rang the bell, and an aide to the pope greeted him. The pizza man asked if he could hand deliver the food, and he was granted permission.

He came out of the papal residence, so very happy to have been in the presence of his holiness the pope, and got into the taxi without a word. The cabby says, "Hey, what about payment?" and the pizza man gives him the whole price of the pizza, still without speaking. "Hey, where's the tip? Didn't the pope give you anything extra for coming out so late? I get half of that, you know!"

"Oh, yes," said the pizza man, and putting his right hand high in the air and bringing it down, he said, "En nomine patri, et fili."

(I hope I spelled the Latin correctly! You have the visualize the punchline.)

Posted by mother hubbard (# 640) on :

three vicars are discussing the problems of bats in thier church.
the first says 'well, i call in the exterminators, that gets rid of them for about a year, but at least it keeps the damage down'
oh, no' says the second ' i couldn;t possible agree to having them exterminated. i call the local falconer who brings in various birds of prey, and the bats that escape are so frightened, they find somewhere else to roost. it usually lasts about 6 months, but its far more humane'
'i don;t really have a problem with the bats in my bell tower' says the third. once i baptise them and then never see them again'

An English student was off to a Scottish University, and it was his first time away from home. His worried parents gave him this advice. Stay out of trouble and, if ever in need, ask a Presbyterian for help. Imagine their surprise when he came home a Roman Catholic. "What ever happened to you?" they asked. "Well," he said, "I was lonely, so I went for a walk, and passed this house, with a sign on the gate saying it was the Presbytery. So I knocked on the door for help."

Posted by Laysha (# 1392) on :

Shortest religious-themed joke I know -

A Quaker walked into a bar and said:

A Shaker went into a bar and asked for a job. The owner said he could start at once, because he needed someone to mix cocktails.

A bishop, a priest and a rabbi go into a bar. The barman says "Is this some kind of joke?"

Oops sorry, failure to reread the beginning of the thread.
<embarrassment>

Posted by Garfield (# 1567) on :

A man is playing darts in a bar. He is very good at it and is in the final of the pub's tournament. He is in the last game (I think that is what they call it) and needs full points to win. He throws the first dart...... and gets a triple 20! He's on a good start. Throws the second dart... Only a single 20!!! Deciding to do the best he can, the man takes careful aim.
Just as he is about to throw, a nun runs in and stands in front of the dartboard. The dart hits her square on the forehead and she collapses to the floor, stone dead. The man anouncing the scores, however, proclaims..."One nun-dead and EIGHTEEEEEEYYYYY!"

In the unlikely case that anyone did not hear the "Sisters of Mercy House of Prostitution" joke a few years ago (it was as popular on the Internet as Bill Gates at the Pearly Gates), here is a link to a copy.

Posted by Anna B (# 1439) on :

How do you know when you've pissed off a Unitarian?

You wake up in the middle of the night to find a question mark burning on your lawn.

---

Jesus is at prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane. "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me."

"Sorry, my son," says God, "I'm afraid I can't do that. But you know what, I'm going to give you a choice. You can choose how you're going to die: you can either be crucified, or stung to death by a swarm of killer bees."

So Jesus sits there in agony, thinking it out. Crucifixion or killer bees? Crucifixion or killer bees? Finally He makes up his mind. "All right, Father," He says. "Let it be---crucifixion."

"Right," says God, "off you go." And Jesus goes off to die on the cross, be buried, descend to the dead, rise on the third day, and ascend into heaven, where He and God live happily ever after.

And you know, we should all be very grateful that things turned out in this way, because otherwise during the liturgy we would have to say:

[teller of joke starts swatting the air frantically] In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit!

Posted by Louise (# 30) on :

A Church of Scotland minister is out and about on pastoral business in one of the more unsavoury areas of Edinburgh when he is accosted by a lady of the night.

"Haw, Rev" she ventures "D'ye want super sex?"

"No thanks" he replies " I'll just have the soup, if it's all the same to you"

PS. [read it aloud if you don't get it!]

Four priests board a train for a long journey to a church council conference. Shortly into the trip, one pries says "Well, we've all worked together for many years, but don't really know one another. I suggest we tell each other one of our sins." They look nervously at each other but nod OK.

The first priest says "Since I suggested it, I'll go first. With me it's the drink. Once a year I take off my collar and go out of town to a pub and drink myself blind for a few days. Get it out of my system."

They all look each other again nervously, but the next priest slowly starts "Wellll......with me, it's gambling.
Periodically, I nick the money out of the poor box and go to the races. Spend it all! I get it out of my system."

The third, who is really nervous now reluctantly says "This is very difficult. My sin is worse. I take off my collar and go into the red light district, pick out a lass, and spend a week in the saddle. I reallllly get it out of my system."
They all look at the fourth priest waiting. He doesn't say anything. Then one of the four speaks up "Come now, we've all told our innermost faults. It's your turn." He looks at the others and starts hesitantly "Welllllll..... I'm an inveterate gossip, and I can't wait to get off this train!"

====
A young girl goes into her priest on Saturday morning for confession.
"Father, forgive me for I have Thinned."
"You've Thinned?"
"Yes, I went out with me boyfriend Friday night. He held me hand twice, kissed me three times, and made love to me
two times."
"Daughter! I want you to go straight home, squeeze seven lemons into a glass, and drink it straight down."
"Will that wash away me Thin?"
"No, but it will get the silly smile off your face."

====
I know, this one is the worst of all, but, again, blame my friend from Kerry!

Young O'Donnell rushed into a church, placed his rifle under a pew and entered the confessional. "Father," he said
breathlessly, "I've just shot down two British lieutenants!" Hearing no response he went on: "I also knocked off a British
captain!" When there was still no response from the priest, O'Donnell said, "Father, have ye fainted?" "Of course I
haven't fainted," replied the confessor. "I'm waitin' for you to stop talkin' politics and commence confessin' your sins!"

Posted by Alaric the Goth (# 511) on :

One of the above jokes prompts me to recall this one (I think my mother told me it years ago!):

The Norse god Thor was fed up. He had been in Valhalla for hundreds of years, and had had all the goddeses there were to be had, and all the Elven women of Asgard. So, for a change, he thought he would go down to Midgard in search of a mortal woman.

So, in a great thunderstorm, he landed in the mountains of Norway. He wandered down till he caught sight of a fair shepherdess. He hurried towards her. He could see the look of surprise, then gladness, as she beheld his approach, for being a god, he was a strong and handsome fellow. He beckoned to her to follow him to a woodland clearing, which she did.

For quite a long while he cavorted with her (being a god, it was for more than ten minutes!). When they had finished, he thought that he had better tell her who he was,
“ I’m Thor!” he announced.
“Tho am I, but I’m thatithfied!” she replied.

The God of War rode forth one day
Sitting proud upon his filly
"I'm Thor" he cried
the horse replied
"You forgot your thaddle thilly!

Boyle sat in a Belfast confessional. "Bless me, Father, for I have sinned," he said. "I've blown up three hundred miles of English railroad!" "All right, my son," admonished the priest. "For penance, do the stations!"

The old priest was becomin' faint of heart and overly upset at the mention of "adultery" in the confession. He gently suggested to the flock that they say that they had "fallen" instead. He'd know what they meant and it wouldn't be so distressing.

The priest lived a good number of years and finally passed on, and a new priest was appointed.

After a few weeks, the new priest paid a visit to the mayor. "You've got to do something about the pavement, Mr. Mayor. I'm alarmed at how many parishoners report to me that they've fallen of late."

The mayor figures out what is happening and howls with laughter.

Says the priest indignantly, "You wouldna think the problem was so funny when I tell you your own wife has fallen twice this past week!"

====

A new novice was summoned by her Mother Superior to assist the aged Sr. Maureen on her daily round of errands in the local village. Young Sr. Brigid studiously noted each road and stop they made as they pedalled their way about, on the convent's two ancient bicycles.

Upon heading back to the convent, Sr Brigid took the lead, only to find that a road they had taken was now impassable. Sr Maureen tells her not to worry, she knows another way, so off they go careening down some obscure back roads in a manner that makes young Brigid very concerned. Somewhat breathlessly she calls out to Sr Maureen "I've never come this way before".

"Don't you be alarmed now" says Sr. Maureen " 'Tis those lovely cobble stones....."

I am not suggesting that I understand this one.

Posted by Anna B (# 1439) on :

A young man joins a monastery where the brothers take an unusual vow of silence. Total silence is required 364 days out of the year, except on Easter Sunday, when each brother is permitted to enter the abbot's study and utter one word.

A year passes and the young man seethes with frustration, but finally, with joy and relief, he makes it to Easter Sunday, enters the abbot's study, and says, "This."

A second year goes by, Easter comes again, the brother goes to see the abbot and says, "Food."

A third year goes by, Easter Sunday comes and he tells the abbot, "Stinks."

The abbot frowns at him and says, "You know, you've been here three years, and all you've done is complain."

The property committee decided that the steeple needed to be spiffed up, as it was getting rather shabby looking. They hired a man to clean and paint the steeple, as his bid was almost half that of the next painter.

Because his bid was so low, he had to take a few shortcuts. He used the cheapest paint he could find, and then cut it with turpentine.

The painter was up on the scaffold, and had nearly finished the job when a big storm could arose. There was thunder and lightning, and a blinding flash of light as the man was knocked to the ground and all the work he had done was washed from the steeple.

Then a great voice from the heavens spoke to him, "Re-paint, and thin no more!"

Posted by Calvin (# 271) on :

An atheist was taking a walk through the woods,
admiring all that the "accident of evolution" had
created. "What majestic trees! What powerful rivers! What beautiful animals!" he said to himself. As he was walking alongside the river, he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him. He turned to look. He saw a 7-foot grizzly charge towards him.
He ran as fast as he could up the path. He looked over his shoulder and saw that the bear was closing. He ran even faster, so scared that tears were coming to his eyes. He looked over his shoulder again, and the bear was even closer. His heart was pumping frantically and he tried to run even faster. He tripped and fell on the ground. He rolled over to pick himself up but saw the bear; right on top of him; reaching for him with his left paw and raising his right paw to strike him.
At that instant the Atheist cried out "Oh my God!..."
Time stopped.
The bear froze.
The forest was silent.
Even the river stopped moving.

As a bright light shone upon the man, a deep voice came out of the sky, "You deny my existence for all of these years; teach others I don't exist; and even credit creation to a cosmic accident. Do you expect me to help you out of his predicament? Am I to count you as a believer?"
The atheist looked directly into the light, and said, "it would be hypocritical to ask me to be a Christian after all these years, but perhaps could you make the bear a Christian?"
"Very well," said the voice.
The light went out.
The river ran again.
And the sounds of the forest resumed.

And then the bear dropped his right paw...brought both paws together...bowed his head and spoke: "Lord, for this food that I am about to receive, I am truly thankful.

A man walked into the ladies department of a department store. He shyly walked up to the woman behind the counter and said. 'I'd like to buy a bra for my wife'

'What type of bra?' asked the clerk.

'Type?' inquires the man 'There is more than one type?'

'Look Around,' said the saleslady, as she showed a sea of bras in every shape, size color and material.

'Actually, even with all of this variety, there are really only three types of bras,' replied the salesclerk.

Confused, the man asked what were the types.

The saleslady replied 'The Catholic type, the, Salvation Army type, and the Baptist type. Which one do you need?'

Still confused the man asked 'What is the difference between them?'

The lady responded 'It is all really quite simple. The Catholic type supports the masses, the Salvation Army type lifts up the fallen, and the and the Baptist type makes mountains out of mole hills.

Isaac has worked hard for years to give his son a good education and finally manages to get the money together to send him to Israel for his gap year before university.

When the son returns from Israel he announces to his father that he has become a Christian.

Isaac goes to the synagogue and prays: "God, I have spent all my money giving my son a good education and now he goes to Israel and becomes a Christian"

A voice comes back from heaven: "Isaac, I know how you feel, it was the same for me!"

Posted by Oriel (# 748) on :

A man was thinking of becoming a religious, and he got talking to a Dominican about the nature of the order.

"So what are the Dominicans about, anyway?" he asks.

The Dominican replied "The order was set up by St Dominic to counter the Albigensian heresy."

"And what about these Jesuits I`ve heard about?"

"Oh, they were set up in response to the Protestant Reformation."

"So.. which would you say is the better order?"

"Well, put it this way.. How many Albigensians have you seen recently?"

A Jewish man's son was about four years old.

The young boy had just come home from Hebrew School. His father asked him what he'd learned that day.

The boy was quiet for a moment and then said, "Dad, have any of the men in our family had their penises criticized?"

The wife cracked up and told him the term was "circumcised"; but the answer was still "Yes."

Posted by simon 2 (# 1524) on :

What do you get if you cross a mountain climber with a tse-tse fly?

You can't ...... you can't cross a scalar and a vector.

(Hey elsi, come quick, it's an engineer joke!)

[UBB Code edited]

[ 24 January 2002: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

Bumpersticker sighted:

"My karma ran over your dogma."

Posted by frater-frag (# 2184) on :

Here´s a true story;

CS Lewis was once asked who he would like for company, if he was to be exiled on a
un-inhabited island.

His answer; "I take an liberal-theologian for company!

"But, I thought you hated liberal-theology?"

"Yes I do, but he´s the perfect entertainement!"

"How?"

"Easy, you ask him a theological question, when you got your answer, wait 15 minutes, and ask the same question again... Then you get a new answer...

Vaguely religious joke:

Q: Why is there a hole in the roof of Texas Stadium?
A: So God can watch His team play.

Posted by Ginga (# 1899) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:
Q: Why is there a hole in the roof of Texas Stadium?
A: So God can watch His team play.

Which also nicely explains why Cricket grounds are always open to the Heavens. Thanks Ultraspike!

Posted by Pete_I (# 1505) on :

What did the bulimic evangelical cannibal do in church?

He threw up his arms in prayer.

Posted by Charismanic (# 2200) on :

George W. Bush, in an airport lobby, noticed a man in a long flowing white robe with a long flowing white beard and flowing white hair. The man had a staff in one hand and some stone tablets under the other arm.
George W. approached the man and inquired, "Aren't you Moses?" The man ignored George W. and stared at the ceiling. George W. positioned himself more directly in the man's view and asked again, "Aren't you Moses?"
The man continued to peruse the ceiling. George W. tugged at the man's sleeve and asked once again, "Aren't you Moses?" The man finally responded in an irritated voice, "Yes I am."
George W. asked him why he was so unfriendly and Moses replied, "The last time I spoke to
a Bush I had to spend forty years in the desert."

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
An Orangeman is dying. He tells his family to send for the priest. After querying whether his mind is going, they do so. The priest is brought to the bed-side of the dying man and the others are sent out. after a while the priest comes out smiling. He says nothing. The family rush in and ask what has been going on. The Orangeman says, "I've just been received into the Roman Catholic Church." Shock, horror from everyone present. Then his wife says, "But you have fought these papists all your life!" "Yes," the dying man replies, "better one of them dies than one of us."

Ouch! talk about your dark humor.

One I read in Reader's Digest:

An atheistic scientist was talking with his friend about thewonderful scientific advances that had been made. He sad, "With everything humanity has learned, God is no longer needed!" Suddenly there was a blinding flash of light, and God Himself was standing before them. He looked at the scientist and said,"If I'm so unneeded, then how about a man-making contest?" The scientist arrogantly accepted, and bent over to pick up a handful of dirt. God said, "Hey, wait a minute; you supply your own raw materials."

Warning: long post but I can't resist passing this on, courtesy of my Mum's neighbour.

Letter from Grandma

The other day I went to the local Christian bookstore and saw a ‘Honk if you love Jesus’ bumper sticker.

I was feeling particularly exhilarated that day because I had just come from a thrilling choir performance followed by a thunderous prayer meeting, so I bought the sticker and put it on my bumper.

Boy am I glad I did! What an uplifting experience followed.

I was stopped on a red light at a busy intersection just lost in thought about the Lord and how good He is. I did not notice that the light had changed to green.

It is a good thing that someone else loves Jesus because if he hadn’t honked I would never have noticed. I found that lots of people love Jesus!

Why, while I was sitting there the guy behind me started honking like crazy then leaned out of his window and screamed ‘For the love of God go, go!! Jesus Christ go!!” What an exuberant cheerleader he was for Jesus!

Everyone started honking. I just leaned out of my window and started waving and smiling at all these loving people. I even honked a few times to share their love.

There must have been a man from Florida back there because I heard him yelling something about a ‘sunny beach’.

I saw another guy waving in a funny way with only his middle finger stuck up in the air. When I asked my teenage grandson in the back seat what that meant he said it was probably a Hawaiian good luck sign or something. Well I have never met anyone from Hawaii so I leaned out of the window and gave him that good luck sign back. My grandson burst out laughing … why, even he was enjoying the religious experience.

A couple of people were so caught up in the joy of the moment that they got out of their cars and started walking towards me. I bet they wanted to pray or ask what church I attended but this was when I noticed that the lights had changed.

So, I waved to all my brothers and sisters and smiling at them. I drove on through the intersection. I noticed that I was the only car to get through before the lights changed again.

I felt a bit sad that I had to leave them after all the love we had shared. So I slowed the car down, leaned out of the window, gave them all the Hawaiian good luck sign one last time and blew them a kiss as I drove away.

Praise the Lord for such wonderful folks!

In a small village the Priest is furious because his bicycle has been stolen. He asks his verger what he should do. The verger tells him that it must be someone in the village so he should preach a fire and brimstone sermon on the 10 commandments and then the thief will return the bike.

On the Sunday the Priest starts off like Ian Paisley at his best(/worst) but halfway through peters out.

After the service the verger asks: "What happened?"

The Priest replies, "Well, it was going fine but when I got to 'thou shalt not commit adultery' I remembered where I left the bike."

-----------------------------------------------

Sent to me by a South African friend:

James(4) was listening to a bible story. His dad read: "The man named lot was told to take his wife and flee out of the city, but his wife looked back and was turned to a pillar of salt." Concerned, James asked: "What happened to the flea?"

One that was emailed to my pastor/uncle:

An energetic preacher was wried for sound with an old, wire-tethered lapel microphone. As he preached, he gestured enthusiasticly and moved about the platform. At times a gesture would tangle an arm in the mike cord, or the cord would get wrapped around a microphone stand or a piece of furniture. As the preacher continued, he got more excited, and he came down from the platform towards the congregation. Several times, the preacher almost tripped over the cord, and he often came to the end of the cord and was stopped by the tug of the mike cord on his lapel. A young near the front leaned over and anxiously asked, "Mommy, if he gets loose, will he hurt us?"

Four young nuns were about to take their vows.

Dressed in their white gowns, they came into the chapel with the Mother Superior, and were about to undergo the ceremony to marry them to Jesus, making them "brides of Christ".

Just as the ceremony was about to begin, four Hasidic Jews with yarmulkes, long sideburns and long beards came in and sat in the front row. The Mother Superior said to them, "I am honored that you would want to share this experience with us, but do you mind if I ask you why you came?"

One of the Jews replied, "We're from the groom's family."

quote:
Originally posted by Steve_R:
Sent to me by a South African friend:

James(4) was listening to a bible story. His dad read: "The man named lot was told to take his wife and flee out of the city, but his wife looked back and was turned to a pillar of salt." Concerned, James asked: "What happened to the flea?"

In the version I heard, James said, "That's nothing. My mom looked back and turned into a telephone pole."

Posted by The Charientist (# 2269) on :

A woman takes a lover during the day while her husband is at work. Her 9
year old son comes home unexpectedly, sees them and hides in the bedroom
closet to watch. The woman's husband also comes home. She puts her lover in
the closet, not realizing that the little boy is in there already.

The little boy says, "Dark in here."
The man says, "Yes, it is."
Boy - "I have a baseball."
Man - "That's nice."
Boy - "Want to buy it?"
Man - "No, thanks."
Boy - "My dad's outside."
Man - "OK, how much?"
Boy - "$250"

In the next few weeks, it happens again that the boy and the lover are in
the closet together.

Boy - "Dark in here."
Man - "Yes, it is."
Boy - "I have a baseball glove."
The lover remembering the last time, asks the boy, "How much?"
Boy - "$750"
Man - "Fine."

A few days later, the father says to the boy, "Grab your glove, let's go
outside and have a game of catch." The boy says, "I can't, I sold my
baseball and my glove."

The father asks, "How much did you sell them for?"
Boy -"$1,000"
The father says, "That's terrible to overcharge your friends like
that...that is way more than those two things cost. I'm going to take you to
church and make you confess." They go to the church and the father makes
the boy sit in the confession booth and he closes the door.

The boy says, "Dark in here."
The priest says, "Don't you start that again".

Posted by The Charientist (# 2269) on :

The cathedral's bell-ringer, who has held his position for as long as anyone can remember, dies.

The bishop mourns the loss of his trusted employee and then announces a whole day of interviews to find a suitable replacement.

Candidate after candidate comes to the tower to interview and to demonstrate his skill with the ropes...but the bishop finds them all lacking.

At the end of the day, one last candidate enters, and announces his interest in the position.

"But you have no arms!" protests the bishop.

"That doesn't matter," says the man. "Watch this."

The man backs up, gets a running start, and charges the big bell at full speed, slamming his head into it. A full, rich sound peals out o'er the land. The bishop is impressed, and turns to offer the man the job on the spot -- but the man, stunned by the collision, staggers around and then falls out the window, plunging hundreds of feet to his death.

By the time the bishop reaches the bottom of the stairs, a crowd has already gathered around the body.

"Excellency," someone asks, "who was this man?"

"I don't know his name," admits the bishop, "But his face rings a bell."

Here's the sequel to Charientist's tale:

The following day, despite the sadness that weighed heavily on his heart due to the unfortunate death of the armless campanologist, the bishop continued his interviews for a bell ringer. The first man to approach him said, "Your Excellency, I am
the brother of the poor armless wretch that fell to his death from this very belfry yesterday. I pray that you honour his life by allowing me to replace him in this duty." The bishop agreed to give the man an audition, and, as the armless man's brother stooped to pick up a mallet to strike the first bell, he groaned, clutched at his chest and died on the spot. Two monks, hearing the bishop's cries of grief at this second tragedy, rushed up the stairs to his side. "What has happened?" the first breathlessly asked. "Who is this man?" "I
don't know his name," sighed the distraught bishop, "but he's a dead ringer for his brother."

Posted by Benedictus (# 1215) on :

I don't know if this will mean anything except to the Americans, especially those of us of a certain age.

These friars were behind on their belfry payments, so they opened up a small florist shop to raise funds. Since everyone liked to buy flowers from the men of God, a rival florist across town thought the competition was unfair. He asked the good fathers to close down, but they would not. He went back and begged the friars to close. They ignored him. So, the rival florist hired Hugh MacTaggart, the roughest and most vicious thug in town to "persuade" them to close. Hugh beat up the friars and trashed their store, saying he'd be back if they didn't close up shop. Terrified, they did so, thereby proving that Hugh, and only Hugh, can prevent florist friars.

Well, if we've moved into puns...

Did you hear about the Buddhist monk who refused pain relief at the dentist's? He wanted to transcend dental medication!

The pun is truly the lowest form of humor. Let's have some more!

Posted by Pete_I (# 1505) on :

Gandhi never wore shoes, which gave him very corny feet. He ate a strange diet of lentils which made him quite weak and also gave him bad breath. And across India he was revered as a great spiritual leader.

Which made him a super-calloused-fragile-mystic-plagued-with-hallitosis.

quote:
Originally posted by Pete_I:
Gandhi never wore shoes, which gave him very corny feet. He ate a strange diet of lentils which made him quite weak and also gave him bad breath. And across India he was revered as a great spiritual leader.

ROFL!!!!

And welcome

Viki

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

Two nuns, Sister Marilyn and Sister Helen, are travelling through Europe in their car. They get to Transylvania and are stopped at a traffic light. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a diminutive Dracula jumps onto the hood of the car and hisses through the windshield.

"Quick, quick!" shouts Sister Marilyn. "What shall we do?"

"Turn the windshield wipers on. That will get rid of the abomination," says Sister Helen.

Sister Marilyn switches them on, knocking Dracula about, but he clings on and continues hissing at the nuns.

"What shall I do now?" she shouts.

"Switch on the windshield washer. I filled it up with Holy Water in the Vatican," says Sister Helen.

Sister Marilyn turns on the windshield washer. Dracula screams as the water burns his skin, but he clings on and continues hissing at the nuns.

"Now what?" shouts Sister Marilyn.

"Show him your cross," says Sister Helen.

"Now you're talking," says Sister Marilyn as she opens the window and shouts, "Get the **** off our car!"

My preacher uncle told this one Wednesday evening:

A land owner hired a man to split firewood for him. He soon noticed that every time the man swung his axe, he said, "Adam!" The employer was understandably curious, so he asked the man, "Why do you say 'Adam!' every time you swing?" The man answered, "Well, if it weren't for Adam fouling up in the Garden of Eden, we wouldn't have to work for a living, and I wouldn't have to be splitting this firewood."

The employer decided to pull one over on the man, so one morning, when the man showed up for work, he told him, "Now I'm going to be gone today, but you just go ahead and do your work. If you get thirsty, you can help yourself to soft drinks or water from the refrigerator, but don't touch the envelope on the kitchen table." The employer gave some more instructions, then re-emphasized that the man was to leave the envelope strictly alone.

After a while, the wood splitter took a break and went into the kitchen for some water. He noticed the envelope, lying unsealed on the table. He was naturally curious, but resited the urge to peek. As the day went on, however, he kept wondering what was in the envelope, until he finally couldn't stand it. He went into the kitchen looked in the envelope, and found a note that said, "Hello, Adam!"

I guess that this is the best thread to post this one on:

Here is yesterday's Daily Dilbert

Remind you of anyone?

Posted by Astro (# 84) on :

A group of nuns were out driving when their car ran out of petrol, so they walked to the nearest petrol station and tried to buy some. As they did not have a petrol can they needed something to carry it in, now the owner of the petrol station did not particularly like nuns but he wanted their custom so he gave them a chamber pot to carry the petrol in. The nuns took it back to their car and were carefully pouring the petrol from the pot into their car when a man walked by and on seeing what they were doing said,
"I am not a member of your religion but I really admire your faith"

Posted by Gambit (# 766) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pete_I:

If you try 'hexed-by-hallitosis' it works even better.

I saw the comedian Bill Dwyer (of "Battlebots" fame) doing a stand-up comedy act. Part of the act went like this:

"I was raised Catholic, so that's the only religion I know about. I mean, the others seem weird. Like Lutherans--what's up with that? Do they worship Lex Luther from the Superman comics?"

I've been entertaining my house group with some of these jokes for weeks - is it possible to put them into the archive?

It will definitely be considered, but for right now this thread is still considered "live."

Posted by Cuttlefish (# 1244) on :

Dear Lord:

So far today, I am doing all right. I have not gossiped, lied or said anything bad about anyone. I have not been too grumpy, nasty, selfish, self-indulgent or greedy. I haven't been impatient,
complained or cursed. I haven't even charged anything on my credit card, and I haven't eaten any chocolate or drunk any gin.

However, in a few minutes I'm going to get out of bed, and I will need a lot more help after that.

Amen.

There are two ways to begin a new day as a Christian: "Good morning, Lord!" or "Good Lord, it's morning!"

Posted by FrancisXavier (# 2575) on :

Sister Mary is meeting the new class of students, and decides - as an icebreaker - to get the children to introduce themselves and talk a little bit about their parents. She goes around the class...

"What's your name?"
"John"
"And what does your father do?"
"He's a lawyer."

"What's your name?"
"Rebecca"
"And what does your mother do?"
"She's a housewife."

"What's your name?"
"Robert"
"And what does your father do?"
"He's a policeman."

"And what's your name?"
"Sarah"
"And what does your mother do?"
"She's a prostitute."

At this, Sister Mary's eyes boggle, and she begins to gasp for air. She stumbles back, leans on the desk for support, and mutters Hail Mary after Hail Mary, until her nerves are calmed. Then, with new resolve, she turns to the child...

"What did you say your mother does?"
"She's a prostitute, Sister Mary."

Sister Mary looks puzzled.

"A prostitute?"
"Yes."

A look of relief spreads across the nun's face.

"OH! Thank heavens, child! I thought you said 'Protestant'"

Posted by Regina Caeli (# 2343) on :

...which leads quite well into:

V/ How many Protestants does it take to change a lightbulb?
R/ None. They dwell in eternal darkness.

Posted by Tigglet (# 1368) on :

The Pope is on a trip around the UK and Bernard Matthews (the Chicken & Turkey Baron) manages to arrange a meeting with his Holiness.

Bernard Matthews says to the Pope "I've always been a big fan of yours, and I am really impressed with all the good work you do.... Now I hear you have been fundraising to fix the Vatican Roof. I have a proposition for you. I will give you all the money you require in return all I ask for is one one little favour."

The Pope intrigued by such a generous offer, enquires "What would that be?"

"All I ask is that you change one word in the Lords Prayer..... 'give us this day our daily bread', to 'give us this day our daily turkey'".

The Pope umms and ahhs for a bit, before saying "I'm not sure the Cardinal's back in Rome will agree".

Bernard Matthews determined to get the deal says "tell you what.... if it would change their minds, I prepared to throw in a years free supply of turkeys for each of the Cardinals as well"

The Pope replies "Well, I can't promise anything, but I'll see what I can do"

The rest of the trip passes without incident, but gives the Pope plenty of time to consider the deal. Upon his return to Rome, his Holiness summons all the Cardinals for a briefing of his visit.

A Cardinal asks "So how was the trip?"

The Pope replies "It was a very good trip. But one particularly memorable part was a meeting with a man called Bernard Matthews"

"Oh, in what way?" asked another Cardinal.

"Well, which would you like first... the good news or the bad news?" The Pope asks.

"Tell us the good news of course!!" they all chorused.

"The good news is that I think I have solved our leaking roof problem!!"

"That is Brilliant. But what is the bad news then?".

"The bad news is that we just lost the Hovis deal!!!"

Posted by Burma Shave (# 2572) on :

During an enumenical gathering, someone rushed in and shouted, "The building is on fire!"
The METHODISTS gathered in a corner and prayed.
The BAPTISTS cried, "Where's the water?"
The CHRISTIAN SCIENTISTS agreed that there was no fire.
The FUNDAMENTALISTS shouted, "It's the vengeance of God!"
The LUTHERANS posted a notice on the door declaring fire was not justified.
The QUAKERS quietly praised God for the blessing that fire brings.
The JEWS posted symbols on the door hoping the fire would pass over.
The ROMAN CATHOLICS took up a second collection.
The CONGREGATIONALISTS & SOUTHERN BAPTISTS shouted, "Every man for himself!"
The PRESBYTERIANS appointed a chairperson who was to appoint a committee to look into the matter.
The EPISCOPALIANS formed a procession and marched out in grand style and...
The UNITARIANS toasted marshmallows!

Three churches - Baptist, Methodist, and Episcopalian - worked together to sponsor a community-wide revival. After the revival had concluded, the three pastors were discussing the results with one another.

The Methodist minister said, "The revival worked out great for us! We gained 4 new families."

The Baptist preacher said, "We did better than that! We gained 6 new families."

The Episcopal priest said, "Well, we did even better than that! We got rid of our 10 biggest trouble makers!"

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said, "Stop! don't do it!"

"Why shouldn't I?" he said. I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!"

He said, "Like what?" I said, "Well... are you religious or atheist?"

He said, "Religious." I said, "Me too! Are you Christian or Buddhist?"

He said, "Christian." I said, "Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?"

He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me too! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?"

He said, "Baptist!" I said, "Wow! Me too! Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?"

He said, "Baptist Church of God!" I said, "Me too! Are you original Baptist Church of God, or are you reformed Baptist Church of God?"

He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God!" I said, "Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915?"

He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915!" I said, "Die, heretic scum!" and pushed him off.

Q: How many "high-church" Anglicans does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: 58:

Crossbearer
Two torchbearers
Thurifur
Alcolyte to carry new bulb on pillow
Subdeacon
Deacon
Celebrant
50 member choir of men and boys to sing the Service for the Changing of a Lightbulb (1928 BCP, Rite IV)

-- David
Chicago, IL

Posted by DuffelMan (# 2633) on :

I can't be bothered to read all of this thread and see if someone's already written this one, so here goes...

Q. How many Methodists does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. CHANGE??!!??

Posted by Irvin D Yalom (# 2833) on :

Two Christian men are talking.

One proudly announes, "I didn't sleep with my wife before we were married. What about you?"

The second replies, "We-ell, I don't know. What was her maiden name?"

[Not very 'correct', I know... ]

Posted by Miss Dree-Saint (# 2777) on :

It's kinda long ... but it's funny.

- - - - - - - - - - -
• Biblical Laws for Children
- - - - - - - - - - -

Household Principles for Children Based on the Old Testament
(Lamentations of a Father)
— By Ian Frazier

* Laws of Forbidden Places:

Of the beasts of the field, and of the fishes of the sea, and of all foods that are acceptable in my sight you may eat, but not in the living room.

Of the hoofed animals, broiled or ground into burgers, you may eat, but not in the living room.

Of the cloven-hoofed animal, plain or with cheese, you may eat, but not in the living room.

Of the cereal grains, of the corn and of the wheat and of the oats, and of all the cereals that are of bright color and unknown provenance you may eat, but not in the living room.

Of quiescently frozen dessert and of all frozen after-meal treats you may eat, but absolutely not in the living room.

Of the juices and other beverages, yes, even of those in sippy- cups, you may drink, but not in the living room, neither may you carry such therein.

Indeed, when you reach the place where the living room carpet begins, of any food or beverage there you may not eat, neither may you drink. But if you are sick, and are lying down and watching something, then may you eat in the living room.

* Laws When at Table:

And if you are seated in your high chair, or in a chair such as a greater person might use, keep your legs and feet below you as they were.

Neither raise up your knees, nor place your feet upon the table, for that is an abomination to me. Yes, even when you have an interesting bandage to show, your feet upon the table are an abomination, and worthy of rebuke.

Drink your milk as it is given you, neither use on it any utensils, nor fork, nor knife, nor spoon, for that is not what they are for; if you will dip your blocks in the milk, and lick it off, you will be sent away. When you have drunk, let the empty cup then remain upon the table, and do not bite it upon its edge and by your teeth hold it to your face in order to make noises in it sounding like a duck: for you will be sent away.

When you chew your food, keep your mouth closed until you have swallowed, and do not open it to show your brother or your sister what is within; I say to you, do not so, even if your brother or your sister has done the same to you.

Eat your food only; do not eat that which is not food; neither seize the table between your jaws, nor use the raiment of the table to wipe your lips. I say again to you, do not touch it, but leave it as it is.

And though your stick of carrot does indeed resemble a marker, draw not with it upon the table, even in pretend, for we do not do that, that is why.

And though the pieces of broccoli are very like small trees, do not stand them upright to make a forest, because we do not do that, that is why.

Sit just as I have told you, and do not lean to one side or the other nor slide down until you are nearly slid away. Heed me; for if you sit like that, your hair will go into the syrup. And now behold, even as I have said, it has come to pass.

Laws Pertaining to Dessert:

For we judge between the plate that is unclean and the plate that is clean, saying first, if the plate is clean, then you shall have dessert. But of the unclean plate, the laws are these:

If you have eaten most of your meat, and two bites of your peas with each bite consisting of not less than three peas each, or in total six peas, eaten where I can see, and you have also eaten enough of your potatoes to fill two forks, both forkfuls eaten where I can see, then you shall have dessert.

But if you eat a lesser number of peas, and yet you eat the potatoes, still you shall not have dessert; and if you eat the peas, yet leave the potatoes uneaten, you shall not have dessert, no, not even a small portion thereof.

And if you try to deceive by moving the potatoes or peas around with a fork, that it may appear you have eaten what you have not, you will fall into iniquity. And I will know, and you shall have no dessert.

On Screaming:

Do not scream; for it is as if you scream all the time.

If you are given a plate on which two foods you do not wish to touch each other, are touching each other, your voice rises up even to the ceiling, while you point to the offense with the finger of your right hand; but I say to you, scream not, only remonstrate gently with the server, that the server may correct the fault.

Likewise if you receive a portion of fish from which every piece of herbal seasoning has not been scraped off, and the herbal seasoning is loathsome to you and steeped in vileness, again I say, refrain from screaming.

Though the vileness overwhelm you, and cause you a faint unto death, make not that sound from within your throat, neither cover your face, nor press your fingers to your nose. For even I have made the fish as it should be; behold, I eat it myself, yet do not die.

* Concerning Face and Hands:

Cast your countenance upward to the light, and lift your eyes to the hills, that I may more easily wash you off. For the stains are upon you; even to the very back of your head, there is rice thereon.

And in the breast pocket of your garment, and upon the tie of your shoe, rice and other fragments are distributed in a manner wonderful to see. Only hold yourself still; hold still, I say. Give each finger in its turn for my examination thereof, and also each thumb.

Lo, how iniquitous they appear. What I do is as it must be; and you shall not go hence until I have done.

* Various Other Laws, Statutes, and Ordinances:

Bite not, lest you be cast into quiet time.

Neither drink of your own bath water, nor of the bath water of any kind; nor rub your feet on bread, even if it be in the package; nor rub yourself against cars, not against any building; nor eat sand.

Leave the cat alone, for what has the cat done, that you should so afflict it with tape?

And hum not the humming in your nose as I read, nor stand between the light and the book. Indeed, you will drive me to madness. Nor forget what I said about the tape.

Amen!

Posted by Curious (# 93) on :

Why did the Vicar walk into church on her hands?

Because it was Palm Sunday!

[Big Grin]

Posted by Hoosiernan (# 91) on :

A certain monastery decided to open a fast food restaurant to make money to support its ministry. The newest novice was told to go to the kitchen and report for work, to be trained in the making of the various specialties of the house. It happened to be a Friday.

"Pardon me," said the young novice as he entered the kitchen. "I'm supposed to report to the Chip Monk."

"Sorry, my son, he's not here," said the cook. "I'm the Fish Friar."

Posted by plassfan7 (# 1076) on :

Ok, I just spent the last 1.5 hrs reading 5 pages of these jokes and puns...(quite entertaining!)...and I see my fav has yet to be posted.

An old farmer went to the city one weekend and attended a big city church. He came home and his wife asked him how it was.

"Well," said the farmer, "It was good. They did something different, however. They sang praise choruses instead of hymns."

"Praise choruses?" said his wife. "What are those?"

"They're sort of like hymns, only different," said the farmer.

"What's the difference?" asked the wife.

The farmer said, "Well, if I said, 'Martha, the cows are in the corn,' that would be a hymn.

But if I said, 'Martha, Martha, Martha, Oh Martha, MARTHA, MARTHA , the cows, the big cows, the brown cows, the black cows, the white cows, the black and white cows, the COWS, COWS, COWS, are in the corn, are in the corn, are in the corn, are in the corn,' that would be a praise chorus."

[Smile]

Bumper Sticker:
"God loves you, but I'm His favorite"

;^Þ
shannon

Posted by plassfan7 (# 1076) on :

quote:
Originally posted by plassfan7:
Ok, I just spent the last 1.5 hrs reading 5 pages of these jokes and puns

...so now that I've already posted this..I realize it was only 4 pages......I guess it just felt like 5.

;^Þ

Posted by Moo-Koo (# 2578) on :

How can you spot a Christian fish?

It has a car stuck to its backside!

Posted by Timothy L (# 2170) on :

3 pints

An Irishman walks into a bar in Dublin, orders three pints of Guinness and sits in the back of the room, drinking a sip out of each one in turn. When he finishes them, he comes back to the bar and orders three more. The bartender approaches and tells him, “You know, a pint goes flat after I draw it, and it would taste better if you bought one at a time.”
The Irishman replies, “Well, you see, I have two brothers. One is in America, the other is in Australia, and I’m in Dublin. When we all left home, we promised that we’d drink this way to remember the days we drank together. So I drink one for each o’me brothers and one for me self.”
The bartender admits that this is a nice custom, and leaves it there.
The Irishman becomes a regular in the bar, and always drinks the same way:
He orders three pints and drinks them in turn.
One day, he comes in and orders two pints. All the other regulars take notice and fall silent. When he comes back to the bar for the second round, the bartender says, “I don’t want to intrude on your grief, but I wanted to offer my condolences on your loss.”
The Irishman looks quite puzzled for a moment, then a light dawns and he laughs.
“Oh, no, everybody’s just fine,” he explains, “It’s just that me wife had us join that Baptist Church and I had to quit drinking. But it hasn’t affected me brothers though.”

Posted by Miss Dree-Saint (# 2777) on :

• News/Convent of St. Elias

PRILEP, Yugoslavia (AP) - Outside a small Macedonian village close to the border between Greece and strife-torn Yugoslavia, a lone Catholic nun keeps a quiet watch over a silent convent. She is the last caretaker of the site of significant historical developments spanning more than 2,000 years.

When Sister Maria Cyrilla of the Order of the Perpetual Watch dies, the convent of St. Elias will be closed by the Eastern Orthodox Patriarch of Macedonia.

However, that isn't likely to happen soon as Sister Maria, 53, enjoys excellent health. By her own estimate, she walks 10 miles daily about the grounds of the convent, which once served as a base for the army of Attila the Hun. In more ancient times, a Greek temple to Eros, the god of love, occupied the hilltop site.

Historians say that Attila took over the old temple in 439 A.D. and used it as a base for his marauding army. The Huns are believed to have first collected and then destroyed a large gathering of Greek legal writs at the site. It is believed that Attila wanted to study the Greek legal system and had the writs and other documents brought to the temple. Scholars differ on why he had the valuable documents destroyed - either because he was barely literate and couldn't read them, or because they provided evidence of democratic government that did not square with his own notion of rule by an all-powerful tyrant.

When the Greek church took over the site in the 15th Century and the convent was built, church leaders ordered the pagan statue of Eros destroyed, so another ancient Greek treasure was lost. Today, there is only the lone sister, watching over the old Hun base, amidst the strife of war torn Yugoslavia, and when she goes, that will be it. Thus, that's how it ends, with no Huns, no writs, no Eros, and nun left on base.

[Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

A quick Google search reveals that this is something to do with baseball. Could someone enlighten us as to the original quote it puns? My ignorance of baseball is almost complete.

Posted by Miss_Molly (# 2339) on :

No runs, no hits, no errors, and no one left on base.

No one succeeded in rounding the bases, because no one succeeded in hitting the ball. No fielders (the team that is pitching the ball) made any mistakes. There is no one left on base to run in.

Hope this helps!

Posted by Hoosiernan (# 91) on :

No runs, no hits, no errors, and no one left on base means that the team that is pitching the ball is doing very well, and the team up at bat is having a bad day!

(Baseball Mom)

Posted by Miss_Molly (# 2339) on :

Sorry to post again so soon. What I actually should have typed was that no one succeeded in hitting the ball far enough to allow an opportunity to get on base. The fielding team were quick and clever, and put people out by catching the balls on the fly (in the air) or on the bounce, and "tagging" (touching the ball to) the runners directly or throwing the caught ball to someone who could tag the runner. Between the people put out this way, and the people whom the brilliant pitcher may have struck out (they never hit the ball at all), the side has been retired. They have had all their chances, and it is now the fielding team's turn at bat.

And thank you Hoosiernan, for making the results of this so clear. Indeed, one team is stymied!

Posted by Ravi Holy (# 2996) on :

Q: What did the Zen Buddhist say to the hot-dog salesman?

A: Can you make me one with everything...

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Reminds me of something on the late-lamented 'musical irreverence' thread of yore:

Lord, Make Us One (While You've Got The Kettle On)

Posted by Irvin D Yalom (# 2833) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ravi Holy:
Q: What did the Zen Buddhist say to the hot-dog salesman?

A: Can you make me one with everything...

So the vendor makes and hands the Buddhist a hot dog with everything; then he says, "that'll be a dollar-fifty."

The Buddhist hands the vendor a five-dollar bill, and waits for his change. And waits. And waits.

Finally he says, "Where's my change?"

And then the vendor says, "Change must come from within."

Posted by Meike (# 3006) on :

Here’s one, but it’s not gender neutral:

God has just created the world. He has a converation with Adam in paradise.

GOD: 'Listen, Adam, I have good news for you. I intend to create for you a woman: She will be very attractive, extremely intelligent, a fantastic cook, and wants sex every time you want sex. What do you say?'

ADAM: 'Uhm, I don’t want to be unthankful, but... so much perfection scares me a little.'

GOD: 'Ah, all right then, I’ll make her less beautiful, only average intelligent and not such a good cook and she doesn't want sex every time you want sex. How about that?'

ADAM: 'Yeah, thank you, that sounds good.'

GOD: 'Fine, for that I need an arm from you.'

ADAM: 'What, an arm!!??? What do I get for...a rib?'

Posted by Poet_of_Gold (# 2071) on :

A little boy at a church play is reciting his lines when suddenly his mind goes blank. He looks out into the audience for clues, sees his mom looking at him, and reads her lips as she says, "I am the light of the world."

His eyes light up as he announces loudly, "My mother is the light of the world."

Posted by Fudge (# 425) on :

Quickie - what do you get if you cross a spiritualist with a Methodist? - Methylated Spirits.

Long One - An atheist goes swimming in the sea, and gets far away from his boat. Suddenly he sees a shark swimming rapidly towards him with its jaws wide.

In desperation, the man shouts, "Please God help me!"

A voice from Heaven booms - "Thou fool, thou dost not believe in me, why calleth upon me?"

The man screams "cos there's a blooming shark coming after me, and you're the only one I could think of! Go on, please help me,"

"Very well, what do you wish me to do?"
"Well, I'm still not very sure, but could you make the shark believe in you?"
There is a flash of lightning and the shark, even closer to the man now, stops, closes its mouth, sits up on its tail, closes its eyes, puts its fins together and says...
"Lord, for the food I am about to receive, make me truly thankful..."

[Big Grin]

Posted by Confused Naieve Young believer (# 3047) on :

I can't be bothered to see if anyone else has posted it, so I'll put it anyway.

two nuns are driving through the woods when a vampire jumps onto their bonet.

the first nun says " what do i do???"
to which the driver replies " show him your cross"
so the first nun leans out of her window and says "get off my bloody bonet!"

HOST NOTE

More than one joke has been repeated; it looks like this thread has reached critical mass.

It's probably best that this thread have "Archive" status--closed but saved for entertainment/reference purposes.

© Ship of Fools 2016