Thread: Hell: I wish I were gay Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000163

Posted by IntellectByProxy (# 3185) on :

Why do I wish I were gay?

As a white heterosexal male I am the last demographic left who doesn't have a pressure group.

It's impossible (politically) for me to be the subject of racism, sexism, or sexalism.

Nobody cares (politically) about my views, and nobody defends me (politically). I can't be politically incorrected.

If I were to start a group championing White Heterosexal Male's rights, I would be called a nazi.

Arse.

[ 10. March 2003, 00:36: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posted by Kitten (# 1179) on :

I'll bet you really want to be gay so you can have a bus [Big Grin]

Posted by Nightlamp (# 266) on :

This looks like a dead horse walking, but I will keep it open for now in case something new and interesting is said.

Nightlamp
Hellhost

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

IbP said
quote:
I wish I were gay
If it is any comfort I thought you were.

As for a pressure group for us for us white, straight males. I must admit it is a thought that has crossed my mind then I remembered we have all the power already so why bother.

P

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
This looks like a dead horse walking
Nightlamp
Hellhost

Nay lad.

Sorry.

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
IbP said
quote:
I wish I were gay
If it is any comfort I thought you were.
P

Why? If I come across so obviously in my posts as being gay, maybe I am...

Incidentally Warrior Tortoise assumed I was gay until she checked my bathroom and found that I did not own any Jean Paul Gaultier shower gel. Apparently thats the defining factor. That and the fact that my wife's stuff is in there too.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by IntellectByProxy:
As a white heterosexal male I am the last demographic left who doesn't have a pressure group.

It's impossible (politically) for me to be the subject of racism, sexism, or sexalism.

Nobody cares (politically) about my views, and nobody defends me (politically). I can't be politically incorrected.

You poor little thing.

Everybody's so mean to you.

Moo

Posted by Jesuitical Lad (# 2575) on :

Discrimination against the mentally subnormal goes on all the time, so I can't really see what you're complaining about.

quote:
Originally posted by Jesuitical Lad:
Discrimination against the mentally subnormal goes on all the time, so I can't really see what you're complaining about.

Fair point, I'd comment if I understood what you said. I shall have someone explain it to me.

Posted by chukovsky (# 116) on :

quote:

Incidentally Warrior Tortoise assumed I was gay until she checked my bathroom and found that I did not own any Jean Paul Gaultier shower gel. Apparently thats the defining factor. That and the fact that my wife's stuff is in there too.

The latter's not always a guarantee...

How do you feel about show tunes?

Posted by Columcille (# 1384) on :

You can't be the subject of Racism, Sexism or Sexualism. You can be the subject of Political Correctness, though.

What's good about P.C is that it's so poorly defined. Don't agree with a newspaper article/book/film/law etc. Then it's Politically Correct, an attack on our White Hetero Male way of life.

So be Politically Incorrect. Anyone who opposes you is Politically Correct and must be stopped.

Now, I'm a White Hetero Male Liberal. Who do I claim is discriminating against me?

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:

'Sexalism'? Maybe you have a niche in Semi-literates Anonymous.

Sexualism. And I am not illiterate, I travel around all the time.

quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:

I find them very inspiring and uplifting, why?

Posted by doug (# 474) on :

I couldn't agree more.

For instance did you know:

Young White Straight Males (YWSM):

- Statistically earn less than women and people from ethnic minorities!

- Are more likely to be stopped and searched ny the police!

- Are more likely than any other group to be the subject of a racist attack!

- Make up a disproportionate numeber of prisoners relative to other ethnic groups!

- Will have to suffer the pain of 'coming out' as heterosexual to family and friends who may not be sympathetic, and a wider world is often not!

- Are more likely to die in police custody than other ethnic groups!

- Are less likely to make up (or be on their way to making up) the establishment than women, persons from ethinc minortities etc!
Clearly, Something Must Be Done.

d.

ps anyone want a trowel.

Posted by anglicanrascal (# 3412) on :

Heck - I quite like showtunes... but I don't have the right shower gel... is that higher or lower on the scale than not liking showtunes, but having the shower gel??

Oh this is just SO confusing...
AnglRasc

I want some more hock in my seltzer,
And Robbie, please give me your hand.
Is this the end or beginning?
How can I understand?

I think show tunes existed before shower gel... however, maybe before there were either, then just washing was enough to prove you were gay?

You're right, this is confusing.

Posted by anglicanrascal (# 3412) on :

quote:
I think show tunes existed before shower gel... however, maybe before there were either, then just washing was enough to prove you were gay?

Well... either gay or not English. [Big Grin]

Maybe you don't want to be gay, you just want to be French... there's not much difference between the two. The French men all kiss each other and carry little handbags... and probably use Jean Paul Wotsisface gel de douche (hey - it even sounds French).

How about it - why not give up trying to be gay and just be French?

quote:
Originally posted by anglicanrascal:

How about it - why not give up trying to be gay and just be French?

Because I'd never be able to come out tell my family I was French.

{I'll tell you your UBB code is crap.}

[ 21. November 2002, 18:51: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

Posted by Mrs Tubbs (# 440) on :

quote:
quote:

You have tendancies. [Snigger] You could get in touch with them if you want [Two face]

How good are you at colour co-ordination without your wife's help? And have you ever expressed an interesting in interior design and the like?

Tubbs

Posted by Nunc Dimittis (# 848) on :

ROFLMAO [Killing me]

Posted by strathclydezero (# 180) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
This looks like a dead horse walking, but I will keep it open for now in case something new and interesting is said.

Nothing like putting on the pressure to kill a thread Nightlamp.

quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Tubbs:
quote:
quote:

You have tendancies. [Snigger] You could get in touch with them if you want [Two face]

How good are you at colour co-ordination without your wife's help? And have you ever expressed an interesting in interior design and the like?

Tubbs

I am far better at co-ordinating colours than my wife is. We have arguments about paint which I usually win, and I'm usually right.
I do, however, have little or no interest in soft furnishings.

What does all this mean?

Posted by sarkycow (# 1012) on :

quote:
What does all this mean?

Umm... you have no life? Or no intellect? Or are missing something else?

Aren't you the guy who admitted to having no dick, or at least a very very small one? Praps you're really a woman, but no one told you?

Viki

It means that you have an inner gay man or a highly developed feminine side [Big Grin]

Tubbs

quote:
Originally posted by sarkycow:
Aren't you the guy who admitted to having no dick, or at least a very very small one? Praps you're really a woman, but no one told you?

Viki

Yes I am that guy, but I said that more for the purposes of exciting narative than for any real reason. The size of my penis is quite inconsequential to my political viability.

If there were a pressure group campaigning for equal rights for small-penissed people then it might become an issue. But there isn't. Oh woe.

Posted by Dolphy (# 862) on :

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

quote:
It means that you have an inner gay man or a highly developed feminine side [Big Grin]

Tubbs

Inner gay man?
As in 'Do you have any gay in you? would you like some?' ?

My left side is quite feminine, but it's not highly developed. It's kind of a closet femininity. I always choose paints with my left eye, but pick up the tins with my right hand.

Posted by ThatsMrJuice2U (# 3076) on :

Maybe it all has to do with the Barbara Striesand CD's that were "accidentally" discovered in IBP's collection. [Paranoid]

Tangent: My post was in reference to Sarkycow's post. Tangent over.

Posted by Mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
If there were a pressure group campaigning for equal rights for small-penissed people then it might become an issue. But there isn't. Oh woe.

You could always start one. Hang around hot rod shows and custom car conventions.

Reader Alexis

Look guys, much as I appreciate the constant references to my anatomy (and I do, I really do) I made an off-the-cuff comment to Erin after she equated the size of a guys nob to his driving ability.

From that small seed appears to have grown an entire cult. The cult of the small nob.

Now I don't want everyone to think that every thread I start must eventually come round to talking about my genitalia. This was a politically motivated thread, not a confessional one.

And anyway, my wife reads these things and I don't want to upset her [Frown]

Posted by bessie rosebride (# 1738) on :

quote:

Hey, it's a wonderful thing if this is a "coming out" thread... [Wink]

but I'm quite worried about this statement. What does literacy have to do with travel? [Confused]

quote:
Originally posted by bessie rosebride:
quote:

Hey, it's a wonderful thing if this is a "coming out" thread... [Wink]

but I'm quite worried about this statement. What does literacy have to do with travel? [Confused]

Literacy has nothing to do with travel.

I was making a pun based on the word 'Itinerate' which means 'travelling around' and 'Illiterate' which means 'Unable to read'

It was an oxymoron, you see I claimed not to be illiterate siting as evidence my extensive travel. Which showed I had misread 'illiterate' as 'itinerate' and therfore confirmed that I was, in fact, illiterate.

It's very complicated I know. But very very funny in my head.

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

quote:
I always choose paints with my left eye, but pick up the tins with my right hand.

So you're bi! Even better! [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:
I always choose paints with my left eye, but pick up the tins with my right hand.

So you're bi! Even better! [Big Grin]
as in bi-sexed?

I am both man and woman, look left and I'm pretty as a picture, look right and I am rugged and hairy.

Is that what you mean?

quote:
Look guys, much as I appreciate the constant references to my anatomy (and I do, I really do) [but] I don't want everyone to think that every thread I start must eventually come round to talking about my genitalia.

But it's much more fun to keep refering to you lack of a penis. It seems to annoy you, which is plus points.

Besides. If we actually talked about what you wanted to, then Nightlamp would close the thread. The tangents are more fun.

CM has his eye on you, you might want to watch your back.

Viki

quote:

[Killing me] I'm so happy for you.. [Killing me] ...pathetic.. I'll be agreeing with this post by Jesuitical Lad, then:

quote:

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

quote:

Are you saying that she doesn't know you are genitally challenged?

[BTW - I got the pun]

Posted by seadog (# 2931) on :

quote:

She's bound to find out about the size of your penis sooner or later. Odd way to find out though.

Posted by Rhisiart (# 69) on :

quote:

And again posted by IBP:
Literacy has nothing to do with travel.

I was making a pun based on the word 'Itinerate' which means 'travelling around' and 'Illiterate' which means 'Unable to read'

It was an oxymoron, you see I claimed not to be illiterate siting as evidence my extensive travel. Which showed I had misread 'illiterate' as 'itinerate' and therfore confirmed that I was, in fact, illiterate.

Not an oxymoron, but a non-sequitur [Snore]

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:

Are you saying that she doesn't know you are genitally challenged?

[BTW - I got the pun]

And since, Mr. CatInASafe, you know both me and my wife, you might be on hand to lend a little therapy... [Wink]

Glad you got the pun. Glad somebody got the pun. Now I know it's not just me whose mentally subnormal. Solidarity Brother.

Posted by Edward Green (# 46) on :

I believe the saying is ' do you have a gay bone in your body - would you like one? '.

Anyway as a Lesibian trapped in a Gay Mans body I really can't comment.

quote:
Originally posted by Rhisiart:

A non-sequitur can constitute an oxymoronic point of view. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Edward Green:
I believe the saying is ' do you have a gay bone in your body - would you like one? '.

And how is Lesibia at this time of year?

Posted by ChrisT (# 62) on :

So the decorating-JeanPaulGaultier thing is a sign of someone getting in touch with their camper side, yes?

Good job my house looks like a bombsite, and I smell like I've just come back from the trenches then.

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

<Pedant alert> And 'nob' is spelt with a 'k'. <Alert over>

quote:
Originally posted by Edward Green:

You must be a nightmare at parties.

quote:
quote:

A non-sequitur can constitute an oxymoronic point of view. [Roll Eyes]
Miss out the 'oxy-' and I would agree

Posted by Wandering with Hope (# 3431) on :

Why would ANYONE want to be discriminated - hated - and - misunderstood?

People have died - been beaten - been shunned by family and friends all in the name of discrimination.

But yet this is what you wish you had -

Only proves what others have said:

quote:
[Fixed your code even though you don't deserve it [Razz] ]

[ 21. November 2002, 21:24: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
<Pedant alert> And 'nob' is spelt with a 'k'. <Alert over>

Both are correct.
Knob and Nob are both old-english slang for 'the head'. How they came to be associated with the genitals is hard to say, although I guess the 'Head of the penis' could have been 'the (k)nob of the penis' and then it got contracted (as it were)

Generally I use 'nob' for genitals and 'knob' for door handles and bits of butter.

Posted by simon 2 (# 1524) on :

You've all cheered up a very dull afternoon.

Check out this white boys club

www.kkk.com

quote:
Originally posted by Wandering with Hope:
Why would ANYONE want to be discriminated - hated - and - misunderstood?

People have died - been beaten - been shunned by family and friends all in the name of discrimination.

But yet this is what you wish you had -

Oh for crying out loud.
I do not wish to be discriminated against, I was merely making the point that as a White Heterosexual Male I had no group looking out for my rights.

I do not wish for anyone to be discriminated against, ever. Discrimination is a terrible thing.

At my university, my department waived tuition fees for women to attract more to engineering. That means that the guys were discriminated against because they were £4500 down on the girls by the end. How is that right?

quote:
If were to start a group championing White Heterosexal Male's rights, I would be called a nazi.

I think you will find that the correct spelling is: Heterosexual. No wonder you are confused!!

Posted by Beethoven (# 114) on :

quote:
At my university, my department waived tuition fees for women to attract more to engineering. That means that the guys were discriminated against because they were £4500 down on the girls by the end. How is that right?

[cynical, hate-my-job-although-I'm-not-an-engineer mode] Yeah, but they'll probably have made up more than that measly £4500 after a few years of employment. [/cynical, hate-my-job-although-I'm-not-an-engineer mode]

{learn to use preview post.}

[ 21. November 2002, 18:55: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

Posted by Beethoven (# 114) on :

and yes, preview post would have been my friend if only I'd remembered to use it [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:

I thought it was the Tory party?

quote:

Legally it is very possible & about as many sex discrimination at work cases are brought by men as women these days.

quote:

Uh? What about all those white men in Parliament? They can't all be gay can they?

quote:

If I were to start a group championing White Heterosexal Male's rights, I would be called a nazi.

No, just a football fan

quote:

Arse.

Well, actually, now you come to mention it - the real reason us middle-aged, white, straight males are jealous is that we know that EVERRYBODY ELSE GETS OFF MORE. [Mad] [Two face]

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Admits to being seriously undersized, and wants to be gay. What do you rate his chances at, shipmates?

quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
[cynical, hate-my-job-although-I'm-not-an-engineer mode] Yeah, but they'll probably have made up more than that measly £4500 after a few years of employment. [/cynical, hate-my-job-although-I'm-not-an-engineer mode]

Amen, Preach It! [Not worthy!]

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Admits to being seriously undersized, and wants to be gay. What do you rate his chances at, shipmates?

Ariel, I have the biggest nob I have ever seen.

Ah, but if you're not gay, you won't have seen very many, will you.

Actually, given the higher probability of offspring amongst heterosexuals, I'm beginning to wish IntellectByProxy were gay too.

quote:
Originally posted by Jesuitical Lad:
Actually, given the higher probability of offspring amongst heterosexuals, I'm beginning to wish IntellectByProxy were gay too.

I'm gonna be a great dad. I have scalextric.

quote:
Ah, but if you're not gay, you won't have seen very many, will you.

You're VERY clever [Wink]

Posted by incurablyGeek (# 3207) on :

quote:
Incidentally Warrior Tortoise assumed I was gay until she checked my bathroom and found that [...] my wife's stuff is in there too.

NOT a defining factor.

Posted by Nell (# 3380) on :

I have often wondered why so many of the teenage boys I teach, choose to adopt ultra conservative (at best) attitudes towards other groups within society. From their conversation many young boys seem to
(i) despise gays and lesbians [Frown]
(ii)think racist language and jokes are acceptable
(iii)have warped and unpleasant attitudes towards girls and women

I have tended to put this down to a) the strong desire in teenagers to rebel against society and its norms and values b) an attempt to 'shock' me/others c)Ignorance and d)repeating values learnt at home. [Roll Eyes]

This may cover it, but I am inclined to think
part of the problem is also to do with their perception of themselves, and their place in society. Young white boys from low social groups seem to feel disengaged from society, and uncertain about their 'role'. I think they would resent the assumption on this thread that white males have'power' and so don't need any voice. In some sense they may also feel blamed as a group for all societies ills past and present.

I think, could they but express it, many of them, and even many men in our society may feel a little like intellect-by-proxy. Is it fair, or even wise to dismiss these feelings out of hand just because we may not agree ourselves?

Thanks Nell,
I know what you mean.
I think the whole thing of young boys despising everything that isn't a young boy is probably a bravado issue as much as anything else.

The question is, why is making fun of anything thats not whiteheterosexalmale accepted as increasing ones bravado?
What is it about society that STILL gives that kind of attitude a forum?

OK, I haven't really got the hang of this have I -My post was a bit too purgatorial. Not very hellish. Sorry. Misjudged tone of thread [Embarrassed]
Note to self: when in Hell next, jump up and down, shout/scream/rant.
(practicing)
[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Posted by Merseymike (# 3022) on :

I havent got any JPG shower gel.

I must be a hettie!!

Oh, but then I love show tunes, and the Sound of Music, and the Eurovision Song Contest, and Streisand, and I have a cat.

And I live with a bloke and have done for 10 years.

Shucks. I must be gay after all.

PS : Not everyone who's gay has seen loads of dicks either. Rugby and footy players have probably seen more, and of course, they're all macho heterosexual straights, aren't they?

Yeah, but who gives a damn. Hopefully the first few posts will keep it alive in hell.

At least people seem to have lost interest in my under carriage.
[Embarrassed]

Hey MerseyMike, I was wondering if you'd turn up.
My (gay) friend and I came up with a great term for that forgotten demograohic, the heterosexuals...

He now refers to them as 'Wainthrops'. As in 'Hetty Wainthrop Investigates'.

Which will mean shag all to anyone who is not British.

Posted by coffee jim (# 3510) on :

Yes, this society does value victimhood to a disturbing extent. And all males are discriminated against in modern UK society when it comes to working with children - 2 females alone with a child is fine, 2 males definitely ain't. And no, you can't be 'proud to be white', although my mate Mohammed can declare himself proud to be Pakistani.And my friend Shea can, as a gay man, engage in horseplay with women (e.g. whipping their arses with wet towels) which would get a straight man condemned as a pervert. But fuck it, you've just got to live with it. If being a victim is important (which, Intellect by Proxy, I imagine it isn't really, just an excuse for a fun thread) then maybe society's failure to recognise you as a victim makes you the biggest victim of all.
P.S. I hate that spelling 'nob'. It does have a k.
What do people think of 'cum' to mean spunk? Annoying, or useful? Hey, maybe we could have a tangent on irritating words for genitals and their emissions?

quote:
Originally posted by coffee jim:
Hey, maybe we could have a tangent on irritating words for genitals and their emissions?

A lady friend of mine calls her vagina a 'spangle-patch'

Apparently this can be a verb or a noun:-
'Hey guys, are you up for a bit of spangle-patching tonight?'

It makes me shudder.

Intellect by proxy - I think we posted at the same time.
Ok - my answer to your question
Many teenagers seem to lack self confidence and a sense of self worth.

Some girls get depression, anorexia, or pregnant
Some boys get bravado, machismo, agression, bigotry??(I don't really understand boys and don't pretend to,and I was rather hoping that a man would shed some light on this phenomenon for me!)

However, whilst often teenagers are able to develop into confident and secure adults, many young adult white males retain feelings of resentment towards other groups in society, whether these feelings are openly expressed or not.
Why? I think it is because if you are a young white male you may often feel villainised by the media, education, history, and society as a whole.
It is not a healthy situation and we must address this issue.

(now I'm going to get hellish)
What really annoys me is when we,as the educated elite, are too busy seeing the 'trees' of supposed politically incorrect comments, and utterly miss out on the 'wood' ie the reasons why feelings are held, and the implications if we ignore or deride them. [Mad]

So, Nell - teenage girls get lovely victim disorders, and teenage boys get nasty aggressor disorders, yeah? Sugar and spice and all things nice... Anorexia, bulimia and self-harm are on the rise in boys as well (though not yet pregnancy).

Amen sister(brother)
And just about everyone on this thread has therefore proven themselves to be the educated elite. Well done to you all.

I do think that your point on Villanisation is valid to some extent, but I think that theres a much deeper subconcious thing going on too.

The reason, in my opinion, why boys get bigotted even if they are not, is that the biggest bullies at school are the ones with the worst upbringing.
Worst upbringing suggests to me parents who exhibit bigotry, machismo and bravado (possibly to cover up their short comings)
And if the biggest bullies are doing it, other boys will do it to avoid being bullied. And so the wheel of life keeps turning.

Why mostly boys?

Dont know. Is it? I knew some really nasty girls at school.

Beatrix Campbell has written some good stuff on this - the problem is the way masculinity is constructed and the fact that many young men just don't have the ready made roles within industrial society which once existed

(adoptes Hattie Jacques voice and raised eyebrows)
Boys, Boys!

Surely you know that the only acceptable way which which to refer to genatalia of either the male or female variety is the term 'bits'

As in 'good gracious, what remarkably small bits you seem to have'

[Two face]

quote:

You'd be surprised. I could easily imagine an AOL chatroom called tiny genitalia m4m. God knows they have everything else on there. [Roll Eyes]

David
you could even call it a teeny weenie, or nano-banano, or ickle pickle, or...

coffee jim,
Interesting point about victimhood. Being ignored and having your views derided may make some white males feel they are victimised in not being recognised as victims???!! Some of course, are regarded as victims because of their membership of a social underclass. But I get the sense that you are not convinced of this as a valid perspective. Actually I think it is not victimhood, but resentment for the percieved blaming of 'all' white men. (For problems from patriarchy, to colonialism, to crime and criminality.)

As to your points on problems affecting boys/girls, I am well aware that I was making generalised remarks. I did not intend to reinforce stereotyped views of what teenage boys/girls have to cope with. Furthermore, I take the point that some teenage girls are incredibly bitchy and can be violent bullies. But I still maintain that it is rarer for a teenage girl to hold and express manifestly extreme viewpoints towards other groups in society, than it is for a boy to express these views.

quote:
I'm gonna be a great dad. I have scalextric.

You know, I think they have cream for that now, but you may want to go to that special clinic at the hospital - I think it's men on Tuesdays.

Posted by JimT (# 142) on :

Great news, Intellect! Move to the United States, become a citizen, and enroll in graduate work other than Business Administration!

I am an upper middle class, 47 year old, heterosexual male who was heavily recruited by graduate programs at the elite universities in the US specifically for my demographics! Two university administrators told me that it is virtually impossible for top universities to find white male US citizens for their graduate programs other than MBAs (Master of Business Administration). "Probably for the first time in your life, your demographics are working for you, not against you," one of them said, smiling.

Sadly, you must however deal with the economic stigma of "student." It amuses and bemuses me that I have a terrible time with utilities, movers, doctors, grocers, bankers, and a whole host of people who react with horror when I say that I am a "student" with no income and no current loan or rent payment history (I own my house and car). I offer money in escrow, payment in advance, whatever they like; all to no avail. Cash is the worst: "The government will think I'm laundering money for a drug dealer!" I may reinstate my corporation and put myself on sabattical with an income just to get around the hassles.

That, or start flipping burgers in the Student Union and run up a couple thousand dollars on an 18.3% credit card.

Okay, this is not very hellish....
Nell, your point is fair enough, I just start itching when people seem to be pushing a 'teenage boys are Something to Worry About, teenage girls are Achievers on an Uphill Struggle' line. I've heard a few interesting (and non-exclusive) explanations for the identity crisis among young males (the first applying specifically to white heterosexual ones):
- straight white young males have nothing to 'kick against'.They're not told (explicitly at least) that their gender, sexuality or ethnicity makes them inferior, so they can't gain a sense of achievement and community by 'proving them wrong'.
- there are so many male identities for sale these days. Some time ago 'you either fitted in or you didn't' (question to older Ship members - is this true?), but now you can be a bad boy, family man, boffin, hedonist, ascetic etc. None of these will be accepted by everyone, and the diversity of possible roles can result in confusion and depression.
- ornamentalism. I've read about this in extracts from Susan Faludi'd book Stiffed (no, I haven't read it). The argument seems to be that modern society is increasingly 'ornamental', in that how you appear is far more important than what you do. So it's not enough to be a competent steelworker if you can't dress well and hold a conversation. Women and gay men cottoned onto this trend earlier (indeed were forced to), while straight men got there late, and now it's screwing a lot of them up. If anyone has read the book and thinks my interpretation is a load of balls, let me know.
And I don't know for sure that anorexia, bulimia and self-harm are increasing among boys. The former and latter probably are, but I don't know about bulimia.

Posted by St. Sebastian (# 312) on :

Moo, you know ChastMastr doesn't do THAT, so IBP needn't watch his backside. Given the criteria for gayness (shower gells and all that)I'm quite worried I'm going to get a suprise inspection from Gay Central. I've not gels of any kind, no colognes, my apt looks like wild animals live there and I'm not a very snazzy dresser (though I would be if I had money and someone else to do the ironing). Also, I've missed my Quota of seducing young boys into my deviant lifestyle for the second quarter in a row! I just know they're going to take away my pink card and probably my toaster oven as well! [Frown]

Thanks for your informative post jim - I think that all three of the theories you mention ring somewhat true and get at the heart of the issues. In addition I would include a lack of strong role models. In my experience, many young boys don't learn what it is to be a 'man' (whatever that means) due to lack of men in their lives. I can honestly say that I believe many of these boys (and girls) suffer because they really need a father and they don't have one around. Maybe some absent fathers are absent due to lack of belief that they are needed? (Vicious circle develops)

An interesting question is, given that there does seem to be a crisis of confidence and identity among young white males, what, if anything should we do about it?
Should we direct attention and resources in this direction?

I'd be interested to hear what folk think.

Posted by ChrisT (# 62) on :

Bloody stereotypes. The problem has been caused by a complete lack of decent role models for the last 30 years (can I be really Hellish and say since Womens Lib kicked in, and in some arenas went too far?). And even those young white heterosexual males - like me - who are beginning to find out about where they fit in this twisted world, find out too late that it doesn't matter what they do say or think, that the stereotype is too strong to break out from.

Apparently I am a selfish, shallow, money-driven, shag-anyone-and-toss-them-aside kind of guy, because I am white, heterosexual and in my twenties. For everyones sakes, world, open your eyes!

And what to do about it? Dunno really, but it involves a hell of a lot of unlearning.

*expecting to get flamed for the Womens Lib comment*

In fact about that comment it is compatible with my posts in the Romance thread. My point is not to push women down in any way (I worship one of them, more fool me) but to encourage young men to stand up and be who they should be. Let's get some confidence in ourselves back, boys - and not that arrogant proud confidence, but the inner assurance that motivates us to be better people and ake a positive difference in the world.

quote:
Originally posted by St. Sebastian:
I just know they're going to take away my pink card and probably my toaster oven as well! [Frown]

They'll get my toaster oven when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers...

Posted by The one & only Nanny Ogg (# 1176) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisT:
The problem has been caused by a complete lack of decent role models for the last 30 years

Sadly a lost of that has been through the media who tend to view men as either strong or macho or complete wimps.

quote:
(can I be really Hellish and say since Womens Lib kicked in, and in some arenas went too far?).
I agree some groups did take things too far. But in the days before equal pay and equal opportunity there was unfair discrimination which could not be justified.

To me feminsim opens the way not only for women to have equality with men, and even to show strengths traditionally thought of as masculine but it also should open the way for men to show their feminine side.

Posted by Laudate Dominum (# 3104) on :

Men should get in touch with their feminine side-- the trouble is that too many people think that men in touch with their feminine side (or women in touch with their masculine side) are homosexual, which many aren't (and not all homosexuals are like that, either).
I have a friend who dresses well, the furniture and decorative items in his apartment don't clash, and his table manners are better than mine (which is saying something). Loads of people think he's gay, but he most definitely isn't.

quote:
You'd be surprised. I could easily imagine an AOL chatroom called tiny genitalia m4m. God knows they have everything else on there. [Roll Eyes]

No, I wouldn't be surprised. If there are men out there who are into [use your imagination] and [sprain your imagination] and [you'd never believe it], a club for the appreciation of cocktail sausages has to exist somewhere. And I do NOT want a link to a website, thank you.

Posted by CorgiGreta (# 443) on :

Intellect,

Your wish can be granted so easily. Get yourself arrested and sentenced to several years in the slammer. Get a cute, well-nobbed gay guy as your cellmate. Wanna wager on which of the two of you will make the first move and which will be the wife?

Greta (would love to be gay but can't abide show tunes or poodles)

Posted by Degs (# 2824) on :

quote:
Look guys, much as I appreciate the constant references to my anatomy (and I do, I really do) I made an off-the-cuff comment to Erin after she equated the size of a guys nob to his driving ability.

You like constant references to your genitalia, do you. [Wink]

Well, take it from an expert, this is conclusive proof that you are gay.

All the other stuff is window dressing -show tunes, deodorant, interior decorating. [Roll Eyes]

Talking about SIZE - definite proof of queenery! [Cool]

Posted by Erin (# 2) on :

Okay, wait just a minute. I didn't equate the size of anyone's wee-wee to their ability to drive. I simply recognized that men hold firm to the belief that if you let another man cut you off in traffic, it is proof that his is bigger.

Posted by Eanswyth (# 3363) on :

I get a couple of e-mail adverts each week offering to enlarge my penis size. Being that I have no penis at all, this is making me feel really inadequate. [Waterworks]

Eanswyth, perhaps if you took the adverts up on their offers, you might not feel so inadequate?

Viki

Posted by Eanswyth (# 3363) on :

Do you know how many pills I would have to take to turn my girlie bits into a respectable penis? With that many pills in me, I would rattle like a pair of maracas. Now, other than mariachi fans, how many women would find that attractive? So now I have a penis, a rattly tummy, and the derisive laughter of women. No thank you. [Disappointed]

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by St. Sebastian:
Moo, you know ChastMastr doesn't do THAT, so IBP needn't watch his backside.

I'm bewildered. I've only made one post on this thread. Here is what I said;
quote:
You poor little thing.

Everybody's so mean to you.

Moo

Of course IBP. if you want reasurance you could always give this a try. [Wink]

Posted by daisymay (# 1480) on :

Well now,

Your score is 118
LEVEL 6 -- MOSTLY FEMININE
People are starting to place bets that you are gay. You do a lot of things and have a lot of behaviors that are the stereotypical gay feminine traits. You enjoy exploring your feminine side. Most people just assume you are gay, and go on with it, which is just fine with you.

[Snigger] [Snigger] [Snigger]

Posted by Stoo (# 254) on :

God... i'm a level five:

quote:
Your Mom already knows. Smart girls in the office already know that you like to sleep with men. Your straight acting traits are few and far between as your feminine traits start to surface. You tend to be a real sensitive guy that gets along great with the female posse at work.
(this'll get this thread closed for sure)

Stoo (straight - honest!)

Never mind, Stoo, I'm gayer than you. [Wink]

But about my masculine side?

And what level does the rating go to? 10?

I am totally pissed off! I tap dance, sing, act, talk effusively about my feelings, and encourage others to do the same. My mother is gay. I have lots of gay friends. Many people think I'm gay. What did I score? Level 1!

I dutifully checked off "sing," "dance," and the fact that many friends label me "sensitive." Did I get any credit? No! So I drink beer and watch (American) football. So what. Those check boxes need to be weighted. I don't sing "Happy Birthday" off key, I sing a capella French Renaissance music. Jesus don't these people know anything? I am very gay-acting, very. And they gave me level one. Idiots!

This site does not understand that peoples' "gaydar" looks for one, secret smoking gun that "never fails." Trip that trigger, cross that threshold and you are gay, gay, gay. People don't look for a preponderance of evidence.

Posted by The Coot (# 220) on :

Please be gentle with IntellectByProxy. I think his posts are hilarious.

btw, if anyone wants a yahoo group (with pics) on blokes with small willies, I have a link.

Posted by Canucklehead (# 1595) on :

YEAH BABY! Score 13, level 1. Can anybody beat that without cheating?

Posted by kenwritez (# 3238) on :

Whew! I came out as a Level 3: Mostly Masculine! Good thing bald guys like me never have to worry about hair gels, and I'm glad I resisted those Barbra Streisand CDs at the swap meet last month!

Posted by Laudate Dominum (# 3104) on :

Well, I'm level 9, score 194, "The Ultimate Feminine" which is good because I am indeed very feminine, what with being a girl and all....

Posted by Scot (# 2095) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
I simply recognized that men hold firm to the belief that if you let another man cut you off in traffic, it is proof that his is bigger.

Not at all. If some guy tries to cut me off, I let him. Then I pass him while making obscene gestures out the window with both hands.

[Both hands out the window?!? What does he steer the car with?]

[Big Grin]

Posted by babybear (# 34) on :

Ah, I came out as level 5.

On the Quiz for women I scored at level 4.

quote:
LEVEL 4-- FEMINIST

Gloria Steinem is more than a hero to you-she is a Goddess! You threw away your DD36 bras years ago along with all the other symbols of female cultural slavery and oppression. You spend your weekends rescuing cats from the pound and you attend regular meetings of "WOMYN: Life Without Sperm"!

So who on earth is Gloria Steinem, and how do you make babies without sperm?

bb

Stoo, I scored Level 5!!!!!

You should worry......unless you'd like to meet up for a drink sometime without all those other troublesome Manchester shipmates? [Wink]

Sorry Guys,

Your score is 40

LEVEL 2 -- VERY STRAIGHT ACTING

Hardly anyone would be able to pick you as a homo boy. All your actions are carefully crafted in a way that they never appear to be considered too fem. Only a fellow level 2 -- buddy might suspect you with the proper gaydar and it's just the way you like it.

Sorry if you're all really disappointed [Cool]

Although I HAVE just given a female colleague advice. I may be sliding.

Well I'm a LEVEL 1-- VERY FEMME [Ultra confused] Looks like my consciousness could do with a raise [Big Grin]

Tubbs

PS IBP, how are you at dancing? [Wink]

quote:
PS IBP, how are you at dancing? [Wink]

I think I am marvelous at dancing. Ergo, I am not.

People say I look like a convulsive crane fly when I dance, and (me being 6 foot 7) they may well be right.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
So who on earth is Gloria Steinem, and how do you make babies without sperm?

a) American feminist writer, obviously a bit before your time - brief biography here

mmm, I think there's meant to be a joke in there.

Firenze
Somewhat Feminine/Lipstick Lesbian

"Gloria Steinem is more than a hero to you-she is a Goddess! You threw away your DD36 bras years ago along with all the other symbols of female cultural slavery and oppression. You spend your weekends rescuing cats from the pound ..."

I don't think so.

quote:
You spend your weekends rescuing cats from the pound ..."

I don't think so.

Why, don't you like cats?

If that is a serious inquiry, may I refer you to the thread on the Dead Cats forum, I mean Dead Horses.

On BB's women's one I got:

Your score is 11

LEVEL 4-- FEMINIST

Gloria Steinem is more than a hero to you-she is a Goddess! You threw away your DD36 bras years ago along with all the other symbols of female cultural slavery and oppression. You spend your weekends rescuing cats from the pound and you attend regular meetings of "WOMYN: Life Without Sperm"!

Don't think so somehow - it's very USA based and I just guessed some questions.

maybe that's my masculine side emerging.

I was listening to the soothing sounds of slayer this morning when Guilt of Being White came around on the track list, I thought I'd post a link to the lyrics here, as they will contribute nothing to the thread.

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/slayer/undisputedattitude.html#6

I got to be a Tomboy [Smile]

Posted by OgtheDim (# 3200) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nell:
I have often wondered why so many of the teenage boys I teach, choose to adopt ultra conservative (at best) attitudes towards other groups within society. From their conversation many young boys seem to
(i) despise gays and lesbians [Frown]

Methinks many of them only despise lesbians publically.
Secretly...well....they probably want to...ahem...watch.

[Roll Eyes] (the whole idea of being defined by the act of sex makes me [Roll Eyes] too)

We have always been defined by the act of sex.
Genders are defined by sex, which means that inequality is defined and sustained by sex.

Why is sex so important to this society?

quote:
Why is sex so important to this society?

Since Mrs. IBP is still unaware of your diminutive dick, I must assume that you haven't tried sex yet. Have a go and then you'll understand why it is important. [Smile]

Mrs. ByProxy seems to be most happy by the size of my dick, my jiggling technique, and the many other aspects of my romantic inclinations in the bedroom (and elsewhere) which are too numerous, exciting, and patented to go into here.

Incidentally, Scot, the picture in your profile scares the bejesus out of me.

Just thought I'd mention that.

quote:
... which are too numerous, exciting, and patented to go into here.

Thank God!

Posted by Warrior Tortoise (# 2682) on :

quote:
Incidentally Warrior Tortoise assumed I was gay until she checked my bathroom and found that [...] my wife's stuff is in there too.
---------------------------

NOT a defining factor.

I'd feel I should clarify;

When I first did the bathroom check it was because an American friend of mine had pointed out to me the oddness of a bathroom. Two male friends shared a house and in their bathroom were a lot of CK 1 bathroom gels etc and a load of Superdrug own stuff. We came to the conlcusion that one of them must be gay. And we were right.

I was first introduced to IBP by his then fiancee and I remember thinking at the time (I've told him since, clearly) that if he hadn't been introduced as that I would have had him down as gay. I explained the bathroom theory and said that it was obvious he wasn't gay because the bathroom did not contain such Calvin Klein items.

Incidentally I now share said house with a female friend and IBP has got his own back by calling us "his favourite lesbian couple".

Warrior

PS I scored a 3.

[Please no long lines of hyphens. Innovative use of the quoting tags spares our scroll lock]

[ 25. November 2002, 15:14: Message edited by: frin ]

You're my favourite couple full stop.

Level 5, Tomboy. I can live with that.

IBP,

You state:

"Incidentally, Scot, the picture in your profile scares the bejesus out of me."

There is a photo of Scot in Stix (So. Cal Ship Meet). He is one hot looking dude. If I were a guy, he could turn me gay.

Greta

Sorry. The photo is in All Saints, halfway down page two of the thread. Just took another look (pamt, pant). Unfortunately, the photo won't provide you with any clues to satisfy your curiosity about Scot's nob.

Greta

quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
If I were a guy, he could turn me gay.

Thanks CorgiGreta. That is by far the strangest compliment I've ever gotten!

As for any questions of a more <ahem> personal nature, I'll have to refer everyone to the missus.

Posted by kenwritez (# 3238) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
quote:

As for any questions of a more <ahem> personal nature, I'll have to refer everyone to the missus.

Really, ScoT! Oh, come now; I think you're mature enough to handle a simple question or two from some of our more...ah...enquiring Shipmates, no? (wink, wink; nudge, nudge) [Snigger]

Posted by Thumbprint (# 3056) on :

quote:
quote:

Really, ScoT! Oh, come now; I think you're mature enough to handle a simple question or two from some of our more...ah...enquiring Shipmates, no? (wink, wink; nudge, nudge)

This man knows where his bread is buttered (sorry Ken daaahling! [Wink] )He's wisely deferring questions about his personal attributes to the ultimate authority! [Two face]

T.

[Time to go study the FAQ on UBB code and put in some practice in the Styx?]

[ 25. November 2002, 15:18: Message edited by: frin ]

This man knows where his bread is buttered (sorry Ken daaahling [Wink] ) He's wisely deferring questions about his personal attributes to the ultimate authority [Two face]

T.

(reads better without all the previous quotes from others - patience please, I'm still figuring out how to post [Embarrassed] )

[Hostly note]

Hi thumbprint; welcome to the Ship, and to Hell in particular. If you want some practice with quoting, then pop over to the Practice thread in the Styx. Check your PM's for a quick explanation from me about how to quote etc too [Smile] (At the top of your page should be two buttons - New Topic and Post A Poll. Below them is a link 'My Profile'. Click on that to access your PMs [Wink] )

Viki, hellhost

quote:
Your score is 138

LEVEL 7 -- VERY FEMININE

It's kinda assumed 'Oh, yeah he's gay'. Your consistent behavior leads anyone you come in contact with to think that you're more than likely a fun loving homo boy. You're the life of the party and your hands are moving and talking as much as your mouth. You clothes are so perfect that sometimes they look fake.

Well that's a relief...

however

quote:
LEVEL 2-- SOMEWHAT FEMME

You embrace all sorts of womanly things but like to make a statement by not shaving your legs during winter! Once in a while you even let your armpit hair grow! Your idea of a good time is shoe shopping (even though you know that you have too many pairs) but you've also been known to change the oil in your car.

is though not that accurate in the details (honest, see here!), a bit worrying!

quote:
Originally posted by Thumbprint:
This man knows where his bread is buttered (sorry Ken daaahling [Wink] ) He's wisely deferring questions about his personal attributes to the ultimate authority [Two face]

Is that 'Thumbprint' as in 'so much under the thumb he's got a thumbprint on his head', Scot?

Say what you like, IBP. At least I know firsthand why sex is a big deal. [Snigger]

I must be blind (three blind mice...) but I scanned the thread and couldn't find the link to the gayness test website. Can somebody re-post it so I can confirm (or deny) my sexuality?

Thanks,
Reader Alexis

Here you go Mousethief, try here

quote:
quote:

Is that 'Thumbprint' as in 'so much under the thumb he's got a thumbprint on his head', Scot?
You must be joking right? [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

You've obviously never READ any posts from Scot if you think he can be easily manipulated! [Disappointed]

quote:
Say what you like, IBP. At least I know firsthand why sex is a big deal. [Snigger]

Why's it such a big deal, Scot?
Listen mate, if you want any tips just PM me and I'm sure I can help you out if you're finding it difficult. I know this REALLY good doctor, he can sort out all those age-related problems.
Just say the word bud.

IBP

quote:

You must be joking right? [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]
You've obviously never READ any posts from Scot if you think he can be easily manipulated! [Disappointed]

Ah, but by answering on his behalf you appear to have been hoisted by your own petard.

I can reccommend some great creams to sort out that nasty red spot on his forhead you know, just so the neighbours don't know... [Wink]

Posted by TonyK (# 35) on :

Well I suppose I'm glad:-
------------------------------
Your score is 17

LEVEL 1 -- EXTREMELY STRAIGHT ACTING

No one would expect you as being gay because your actions never show even a hint of femininity. You carry yourself in a macho, masculine manner at all times. You're hung up on 'guy things' and if you dance at a club your feet and hands barely move. Your idea of a good time is probably watching WCW wrestling.

No to the last - and I only slightly blurred one answer - honest!

quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
Well I suppose I'm glad:-
------------------------------
Your score is 17

LEVEL 1 -- EXTREMELY STRAIGHT ACTING

And is therefore in high demand among those guys who are into "straight acting" chaps. [Smile]

(dangles toaster enticingly in the direction of the OP's poster) [Two face]

Posted by golden key (# 1468) on :

quote:

(dangles toaster enticingly in the direction of the OP's poster) [Two face]

Ah, is that the current recruitment reward? [Wink]

(Thinking of an episode of "Ellen".)

Score: 68
Level: 4
Somewhat straight acting.

Reader Alexis

quote:
I can reccommend some great creams to sort out that nasty red spot on his forhead you know, just so the neighbours don't know... [Wink]

If you think that it causes red spots on the forehead, then I know you aren't doing it right. Perhaps you should back down from the headboard by just a couple of inches.

What's that? You haven't got a couple of inches to spare? That's okay - she can move down too.

Posted by Unkl Davey (# 2777) on :

As a white, straight male, I’d just like to know when all those perks that liberals think I enjoy by being a member of the WASP club are going to kick in.

I mean if I’m going to be stereotyped as being privileged, I’d at least like to actually enjoy said privileges some people seem to think I’m having lavished upon me. Or is being laid off 3 times in the last 2 years a perk that I’m unaware of?

Can anyone tell me how I’m supposed to contact the good ole boy network and tell them I’d like my membership card and a job that will last longer than Michael Jackson’s progeny?

Posted by Karl - Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

I imagine that not having the shit beaten out of you because of your sexuality, and not having people assume that you're great at sports but thick as pigshit because you're black might be a start. Add to that not having employers pass you over because they think you'll just have children and leave, and you might be onto something.

It's not that you (and me) get perks. It's that we don't get particular types of shit.

You've been using the secret handshake, right?

You are so right Karl!

I got the shit beaten out of me in gradeschool because I was a skinny white nerd with Coke-bottle glasses. People assume I play basketball because I'm tall and they assume I'm thick because I'm from California, I'm registered Republican, or I'm a Christian. I've never been passed over for a job because of my gender, but I've been reprimanded because not enough of my subcontractors were women, minorities or veterans, and I've lost work for not being in one of those categories.

I am so damn lucky that I don't have to put up with the shit that some people get. I get my very own brand of shit to put up with.

quote:
You are so right Karl!

I got the shit beaten out of me in gradeschool because I was a skinny white nerd with Coke-bottle glasses.

Everyone gets the shit beaten out of them in gradeschool (apart from about half of the girls, who get ignored for an entire year, which is possibly worse).

Most adults don't get beaten to a pulp for holding hands with their significant other in public. Has this ever happened to a straight man?

And - what a surprise - if you'd read Sophs' thread on her friend at school, you'd know I have a lot of concern about bullying as well.

Marvellous isn't it. People are hospitalised, even murdered for their sexuality. Black people suffer considerably higher levels of unemployment. But we have an equal whinge because someone asks why all our subcontractors are WASPS? In the words of your sig., Scot, Spare me.

I think that that's an unfair thing to label Scot with. Ok, so he has too many WASPs as subcontractors, but that is almost always because the companies you use don't have a fair proportion of Non-WASPs.

Take engineering for example, about 10 percent of engineers in the UK are non-wasps. And about 2 percent of the total are non-white. It is phenominally difficult to recruit black people and women into engineering and nobody seems to know why.

The police in the UK have a quota of black people they must have on each force. Which is fine if the local demographic has a similar proportion, but in Cumbria (which has pretty close to no black people) the police force actually had to bus black police in from manchester to fill their quota.

Now that is just plain wrong, discriminatory and political correctness gone mad.

It's not entirely true either.

News item

I generally find claims of "political correctness gone mad" aren't entirely rooted in reality.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl - Liberal Backslider:
And - what a surprise - if you'd read Sophs' thread on her friend at school, you'd know I have a lot of concern about bullying as well.

Marvellous isn't it. People are hospitalised, even murdered for their sexuality. Black people suffer considerably higher levels of unemployment. But we have an equal whinge because someone asks why all our subcontractors are WASPS? In the words of your sig., Scot, Spare me.

Get a grip, Karl. I not only read that thread, I posted on it several times. Bullying was not my point.

My point was that everyone has problems. People get murdered for all sorts of reasons. Guess what - those reasons are generally all bad.

Let me educate you as to why I did not meet my quota of disadvantaged subs (women and vets can be WAPSs, too). I did not meet the quota because I have no friggin' idea what color or gender the owners of the companies were. I hire them on the basis of reputation, qualifications, and past performance. I don't give a rat's ass about their ethnicity or gender. It's called being colorblind. Once upon a time it was what your liberals claimed to want.

quote:
My point was that everyone has problems. People get murdered for all sorts of reasons. Guess what - those reasons are generally all bad.
They are. What is the problem with organisations trying to do something about some of the reasons?

I don't think there's any discussion we can sensibly have about your quotas because I don't know the first thing about the situation in question.

Posted by MR PINK (# 2979) on :

I'll tell you the best reason for being Gay. Getting rippred off for your "Pink Pound" in any number of Bars & Clubs for a pint of so called acholic beverage. Since coming out I have accepted that you're definetly paying for the company you keep (& the god awful Jukeboxs in said establishments).

quote:
Originally posted by MR PINK:
I'll tell you the best reason for being Gay. Getting rippred off for your "Pink Pound" in any number of Bars & Clubs for a pint of so called acholic beverage. Since coming out I have accepted that you're definetly paying for the company you keep (& the god awful Jukeboxs in said establishments).

I think you missed out a 'not' in your first sentence.
But surely you are allowed to go into pubs and clubs which are cheaper - you don't have to go in specifically gay bars.

Maybe I am making an assumption here, but when you say you came out, did you come out as being heterosexual or homosexual (or even French)?

Hmm put it thisay as Jamie says in Beautiful Thing "I'm very happy" thank you.

As to my choice of watering hole I have no problems with straight bars except I'm liable to get a smack in the face if I show any affection for my better halh (but hey don't you hate all that gooey stuff in public places anyway) but a lot of my friends seem to get very hetrophobic if you actually put them in a "real pub/club/whatever" in the "real world.

I don't believe in homosexuality.

Actually I don't believe in heterosexuality either.

I think we're all bisexual, but in different proportions.

If 0 is fully homosexual
100 is fully heterosexual
and 50 is fully bisexual

then I would guess most people who say they are heterosexual would actually be around the 90, and similarly most people who say they're gay would be around the 10.

I think I am about an 80 hetty, that is I don't want to have sex with a guy, but the idea doesn't bother me, and I think some men are very good looking.

quote:

The police in the UK have a quota of black people they must have on each force. Which is fine if the local demographic has a similar proportion, but in Cumbria (which has pretty close to no black people) the police force actually had to bus black police in from manchester to fill their quota.

This is not true. In fact if they were doing this in England it would be illegal under English law and they could arrest themselves...

Well, I must admit to being a bit naughty and repeating something somebody told me without first checking it out.
I am surprised you say it is illegal under british law though, as many other forms of 'positive' discrimination are ok.

I mentioned ages ago that my university engineering department waived tuition fees for women to attract more to engineering. I think that's very wrong.

quote:
Well, I must admit to being a bit naughty and repeating something somebody told me without first checking it out.
I am surprised you say it is illegal under british law though, as many other forms of 'positive' discrimination are ok.

I mentioned ages ago that my university engineering department waived tuition fees for women to attract more to engineering. I think that's very wrong.

All forms of positive discrimination are illegal under English law: however, some forms of positive action (such as encouraging women or ethnic minorities into professions where they are under-represented) are allowed. Before repeating Daily Mail-type assertions on 'political correctness gone mad', may I suggest you start with this site to check your facts - or is a government organisation too 'politically correct' for you?

quote:
All forms of positive discrimination are illegal under English law: however, some forms of positive action (such as encouraging women or ethnic minorities into professions where they are under-represented) are allowed.

Argument by redefinition of terms is intellectually weak and morally questionable. I would have much more respect for the proponents of ideas like this if they would simply admit that they are in favor of some sorts of discrimination.

quote:
All forms of positive discrimination are illegal under English law: however, some forms of positive action (such as encouraging women or ethnic minorities into professions where they are under-represented) are allowed. Before repeating Daily Mail-type assertions on 'political correctness gone mad', may I suggest you start with this site to check your facts - or is a government organisation too 'politically correct' for you?

Ok Ok, Chill!
Shouldn't have said it without first checking it out, it's not something I usually do.

And don't accuse me of 'Daily-mail type assertions', you don't piss around with words like that. Call me a dickhead, but don't use 'daily-mail' against me, it's so cheapening.

Please don't assume that I am against positive action, I am not, but it is difficult to find a philosophical standpoint in which you disagree with discrimination, and yet agree with positive 'action' of the type shown by my university. This is a philosophical argument, not a real one.

Positive action almost always disadvantages one group, and that is not a good thing (but it may be necessary)

quote:
quote:
All forms of positive discrimination are illegal under English law: however, some forms of positive action (such as encouraging women or ethnic minorities into professions where they are under-represented) are allowed.

Argument by redefinition of terms is intellectually weak and morally questionable. I would have much more respect for the proponents of ideas like this if they would simply admit that they are in favor of some sorts of discrimination.
Seconded.

(p.s. Scot, tried moving away from the headboard and it seemed to work, thanks)

Posted by nicolemrw (# 28) on :

getting back to the original post, if you really want to be part of a persecuted minority, yuo don't need to do anything so extreme as change your sexual preferences, you can just convert to islam.

article about skyrocketing hate crimes against muslems.

oh, and btw, this paragraph from the article above may put things is some perspective:

quote:
Muslims remain behind blacks, homosexuals and Jews in the numbers of reported hate crimes. There were 2,899 incidents against blacks in 2001, about the same as the year before, and just over 1,000 against Jews, down slightly from the year before. Almost 1,400 incidents involved crimes against homosexuals, and whites were targeted in 891 cases, the FBI said.

quote:
quote:

The definition comes from statute and case law in English courts (which, for those unfamiliar with the British legal system, means the law of England and Wales but not necessarily that of Scotland). Helping one group is action: if that is at the expense of another group which also needs that help, that is discrimination.
quote:
Originally posted by IBP:
And don't accuse me of 'Daily-mail type assertions', you don't piss around with words like that. Call me a dickhead, but don't use 'daily-mail' against me, it's so cheapening.

Apologies - although it says something about the level of journalism here when comparing someone to a daily newspaper is worse than calling them names!

quote:
Please don't assume that I am against positive action, I am not, but it is difficult to find a philosophical standpoint in which you disagree with discrimination, and yet agree with positive 'action' of the type shown by my university. This is a philosophical argument, not a real one.

Positive action almost always disadvantages one group, and that is not a good thing (but it may be necessary)

If it does disadvantage another group - were there places denied to men because of the bursary scheme offered to women? If so, it may have been discrimination. If, however, these were extra places which were funded in order to improve women's participation, then the men did not lose out.

quote:
I think I am about an 80 hetty, that is I don't want to have sex with a guy, but the idea doesn't bother me, and I think some men are very good looking.

(Adds a waffle iron to the toaster, and throws in a tea-towel set.)

quote:
Originally posted by golden key:
Ah, is that the current recruitment reward? [Wink]

(Thinking of an episode of "Ellen".)

Yes.

You will also, of course, need a copy of the Gay Agenda, should you decide to Join Us.

quote:
You will also, of course, need a copy of the Gay Agenda, should you decide to Join Us.

Who told them about my work routine? [Wink]

Why do some people try and minimise the known discrimination faced by black and gay people by placing all sorts of red herrings into the picture?

Homophobia and racism exists, and trying to dismiss it by talking about 'political correctness' is always something I am suspicious of

Posted by Elizabeth of Tenth Street (# 3555) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Merseymike:
Why do some people try and minimise the known discrimination faced by black and gay people by placing all sorts of red herrings into the picture?

I wrote a paper on this topic a short time ago and I came to the conclusion that......I don't know. Or, rather, there is no one certain answer. There is the conservative idea that discrimination is "not that bad" and that all people should be able to help themselves without any assistance from such things as affirmative action and other such programs. This is flawed because it ignores the power structure in which certain groups of people have advantages over others. Pretending that this structure doesn't exist will not make it go away. In fact, it upholds it.

quote:
If it does disadvantage another group - were there places denied to men because of the bursary scheme offered to women? If so, it may have been discrimination. If, however, these were extra places which were funded in order to improve women's participation, then the men did not lose out.

No extra places were funded because of, or through the initiative. Incidentally no extra women arrived (compared to previous years) either. All that happened was that it gave pedants like me amunition for our everybody-hates-us-nobody-loves-us-we-will-just-have-to-go-outsided-and-eats-worms agenda.

quote:

Homophobia and racism exists, and trying to dismiss it by talking about 'political correctness' is always something I am suspicious of

No red herrings, discrimination is discrimination whether it's faced by gay people, or black people, or white people or straight people. Or even bisexual transvestites with a penchant for tapestries and wode.

I don't understand why you think people are trying to dismiss 'phobias and 'isms by talking about political correctness - they are two separate things.

An example.
If I were racist I would hate black people. I do not hate black people.

If I were politically correct I would call a black person (according to my do-it-yourself inclusive language pamphlet I had to study for a student job at university) a 'coloured person' which almost every black person I know finds offensive and patronising.

The problem with political correctness is not that it masks racism or phobia, but that it forces the labelling of people.

Scot made the point earlier that he cannot fullfil
his quota of required black sub-contractors because he doesn't actively seek them out by colour, if he were politically correct he would seek them out by colour which would therefore make him discriminatory and racist.

Dear Intellect,
That whole 'we're all bisexual' thang is so passe. Do you fantasise about men more than once every few years? Could you get it up for a guy? Yes? Then you're bisexual.No? Then you're a 'hetty'. It's perfectly possible to be a 'straight man' without wanting to puke at the thought of gay sex, or having hangups about thinking another man is beautiful.

Posted by The Coot (# 220) on :

quote:
Most adults don't get beaten to a pulp for holding hands with their significant other in public. Has this ever happened to a straight man?

Well surprisingly, violence due to heterosexual bias does happen... I was at a commemoration of the International Day of Remembrance of Transsexual and Transgender people on 20 Nov, when statistics were read out on hate crimes. They were US Dept of Justice stats for 1995. (Strange choice of stats but that was all that was available on the net apparently).

The 17 incidents of violence among 7,947 against heterosexual people caused the gay gentleman and myself to ponder, was it: 'I'm going to whip you with my handbag, girlfriend!' ? Yes I know, we are tasteless, inappropriate and political incorrect.

[The point of the exercise was to look at murders (none known due to heterosexual violence btw), which numbered 20 offences and consider the likelihood that murders of transsexual and transgender people (cf. 15 in the US alone since 20 Nov 2001) killed in hate crimes were likely to be unrecognised or hidden among the stats].

Posted by tomb (# 174) on :

quote:
....If I were racist I would hate black people. I do not hate black people.

Actually, IBP, this isn't necessarily the case. Hate isn't necessary for racism. Being aware of a person's differences from yourself and judging that person on that basis is racism/sexism/whateverthefuckism.

Next time you encounter a person you perceive--for whatever reason--to be "different" from yourself and you expect that person to act or behave in a particular fashion based on YOUR perception--then you're an " 'xxx'-ist." Or an " 'xxx'-phobe." You get the drift.

quote:
If I were politically correct I would call a black person (according to my do-it-yourself inclusive language pamphlet I had to study for a student job at university) a 'coloured person' which almost every black person I know finds offensive and patronising.

Well that's the biggest pile of horseshit I've read in a long while. If you were really being "politically correct," presumably you would have enough intelligence to apprise yourself of a person's--or group's--preferred appelation, then use it. Thinking that "coloured person" is somehow less offensive because of some twisted assumptions you have made--or, dear God, read in a booklet--about what constitutes "political correctness" is just plain stupid.

It seems to me that the first step to becoming political correct is "getting a clue."

But the real test to card-carrying true-believer political correctness, IBP, is when you become convinced that somebody or some group different from you actually has something to teach you. And then you set out to discover and actually celebrate what that might be because you know that your life will be enriched thereby.

That's political fucking correctness.

[ 27. November 2002, 06:38: Message edited by: tomb ]

Posted by Unkl Davey (# 2777) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Karl - Liberal Backslider:

It's not that you (and me) get perks. It's that we don't get particular types of shit.

So what's so special about gay shit compared to MY shit? I've had tons of shit shoveled on me. People like YOU even still shit on me. I had a really shitty time in junior high and hi school cuz the bullies loved to dump shit on me.

However, just cuz I'm white and straight, I'm told my shit is sweeter than the rest.

I think that's a bunch of shit.

(Damn, I'm sounding like Erin.)

Unkl Davey, I think the difference comes when some people's shit (and not just gay people's) is dished out by society and the insttutions that govern and regulate society.

You got beaten up at school, so did others who have posted. I got beaten up because I'm gay when I was a student, badly. It's the reason I have to wear glasses.

But when the 'bully' is society (and even the Church) then that's a different matter.

Spare me Unkl Davy - exactly how do "people like me" shit on you?

Points you will have to cover:

* Exactly how you know what "people like me" are like, given you don't know me from Adam.

* How people of this currently undefined type shit on you.

* Why this shit is in any way comparable to the wholesale prejudice and hatred sometimes experienced by gay and black people.

Or are you still smarting that I won't worship at the shrine of Josh McDowell?

quote:
I'm sounding like Erin.)
[Killing me]

Oh, and you're not even beginning to sound like Erin. You have to have a point, first. Or a clue.

Posted by The Wanderer (# 182) on :

[Tangent] The impression I get from films, TV and this thread is that US schools are far more violent than than UK establishments. From my limited perspective I don't think getting beaten up is a common hazard in the UK - it happens, but I don't think it's common - whereas I get the picture that it's a daily occurence across the Atlantic. Have I got the picture wrong about over there, or am I hopelessly naive about over here? [/Tangent]

Posted by Erin (# 2) on :

Karl, you say the sweetest things.

The Wanderer, here are some statistics about violence in American schools. It looks like the average is about 12~15% of students who report ANY sort of victimization (not necessarily assault and battery).

Wanderer - probably both. It was a daily possibility for me. I am a little suspicious of statistics on the grounds that this sort of thing goes unreported. I doubt there's some "school violence" gene with a higher frequency in the US. You're probably less likely to find a UK school kid with a gun, but that's down to ownership laws; a seperate issue altogether.

I too got smack downs at school for a long time, till I swapped schools and decided I was going to be one of the cool kids and was from then on.

My brother experienced postitive discrimination when apllying for university in the UK. He applied to a good engineering dept and was given a high acceptence offer, while a girl we knew was given a really low acceptance offer from the same dept. Now this might not be out of the ordinary, if it was not for the fact that my brother is a very talented individual and the girl involved was not. I have a slight insight into the method used for making offers at unis and would say where there is a lack of female applicants it is very possible that girls are given prefferential treatment.

There is also prefferential treatment for students from state schools (which is a good thing), the reason being (I speak for the dept I work in only) is that if a student can achieve straight A grades at a 'bog standard comp' then chances are they are brighter than somebody who was hot housed at Eton or Harrow. BTW such prefferential treatment does not seem to have had much effect on our intake [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
quote:

Well that's the biggest pile of horseshit I've read in a long while. If you were really being "politically correct," presumably you would have enough intelligence to apprise yourself of a person's--or group's--preferred appelation, then use it. Thinking that "coloured person" is somehow less offensive because of some twisted assumptions you have made--or, dear God, read in a booklet--about what constitutes "political correctness" is just plain stupid.

It seems to me that the first step to becoming political correct is "getting a clue."

But the real test to card-carrying true-believer political correctness, IBP, is when you become convinced that somebody or some group different from you actually has something to teach you. And then you set out to discover and actually celebrate what that might be because you know that your life will be enriched thereby.

That's political fucking correctness.

Tomb, I may be misjudging the tone of your post, and I hope I am, but I am pretty offended by this.

The 'biggest pile of horseshit you've read in a while' is the biggest pile of horseshit I have EVER read. I used it in my post as an illustration of how bollocks institutionalised 'political correctness' actually is; how it is impossible and damaging to proscribe labels to people. My post was in response to a society that tries to give me a big bag of labels to stick on people.

You obviously don't read very well, or had not bothered to take the time to do so, and you insult my intelligence in a way which almost (but not entirely) makes me fail to have much respect for your post.

I do not ever assume a label is offensive or otherwise, insomuch as I use labels (which is hardly ever) I use the one which is acceptable to the person I am addressing. No 'twisted assumptions' are ever made. You however have made twisted assumtions about me, which you can merrily stick up your arse.

It is intellectually weak to shoot from the hip, as you have done, and I would have expected better.

I say again, my post was to illustrate how bollocks the attempt to create a standard political correctness is. I was using the 'pamphlet' example as an ironic device to show that the very drive for political correctness is itself manifesting racism.

True non-xxx-ism is in recognising our differences and not be prejudiced by them. If you have any disagreement with that then feel free to share it, but don't insult my intelligence.

Incidentally, I read in a copy of 'The Sun' I picked up on the train this morning (no, honestly, I really DID pick it up on the train) that the governments 'diversity and inclusion' watchdog has banned the use of the word 'homosexuality' as it is offensive to people who are, well, homosexual.

Now gay people officially have to be referred to as 'people who manifest attractions to their own genital group' or something equally fatuous.

Now I find that offensive (but then, I'm not gay so can't really comment)

quote:
Incidentally, I read in a copy of 'The Sun' I picked up on the train this morning (no, honestly, I really DID pick it up on the train) that the governments 'diversity and inclusion' watchdog has banned the use of the word 'homosexuality' as it is offensive to people who are, well, homosexual.

Now gay people officially have to be referred to as 'people who manifest attractions to their own genital group' or something equally fatuous.

Now I find that offensive (but then, I'm not gay so can't really comment)

Well, I'm not offended by it, but it is pretty pathetic.

If the government are so concerned about not causing offence perhaps they'd like to bin Section 28!!

It's also not actually what is in the paper. It may be The Sun's version, but that's not the best source of information.

I am actively attempting to ascertain what the truth of the matter is, but back issues of the Independent are no longer online as far as I can find; I remember reading something about it there. All I can recall is that it was not what IbP is saying.

quote:

Which government publication says this?

They are all on line these days, it shouldn't be hard for someone clever enough to think that the Sun is a newspaper to find it with a search engine.

The same story appeared in that leading bastion of reasonableness the Mail too who of course gave it their own special twist.

As to be being attracted to someone of my own gential group fine but my experience the dangly thing in the middle is ususal the last thing on my mind when I go looking for a mate. All this about size is bollox ('cus the pun) there are other ways to have sex and I've always been a quality over quanity (hence one of the reasons I relaised my true true sexual prefence as I was pretty crap at the hetrosexual version.

Found it:

here

This is that actual story.

I should add that the next day's paper carried an editorial by a gay man here. explaining some of the background and surrounding issue.

I wonder what The Sun's version of the story was?

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Otpotts? (Insert your own Lancashire joke here.)

Having just gone through 'diversity training' at work, this seems to illustrate what we were taught was 'The Platinum Rule'. The Golden Rule (treat others as you would like them to treat you) assumes that others want to be treated in that way. (For example, if someone in the office was offering round biscuits, I'd like to be included in the offer. But my colleague who is observing Ramadan would rather he wasn't.)

The Platinum Rule says 'treat others as they wish to be treated'.

Now OK, I can see that this has all sorts of implications (how would a burglar wish to be treated?), but it's not a bad place to start.

Posted by Ginga (# 1899) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Otpotts?

Its a rather unhelpful (though often appropriate) anagram.

quote:
Originally posted by Degs:
If the government are so concerned about not causing offence perhaps they'd like to bin Section 28!!

I must admit to being very ignorant of this [Embarrassed] , can you explain what Section 28 covers, and why it is objectionable please...?

SEction 28 was bought into being because the then government was worried that too much emphasis was being placed on the promotion of Homosexuality in schools ect and this was a bad thing as it wasted Local auuthority money on doing so. The fact that that the government was Conservative and they had just suffered an electoral backlash in the recent conucil elections doesn't really come into it.

What it means is that Teachers/Social Workers?Youth Workers ect can't tell you about resources such as the local gay drop in or that it's ok to Gay or that it's a perfectly valid life choice as by doing so it'll corrupt "family values" (whatever they may be)

Funnily this tagged onto the Criminal Justice bill as the govt wanted to get this dreadful mish mash of legistration into law asap and with scant regard as to its consquences (more Gay bashing, less responsible, sex education the rise of HIV (due to the fact you Local authorities can't actually fund local gay health projects) & they say igorance is bliss.

quote:
I must admit to being very ignorant of this [Embarrassed] , can you explain what Section 28 covers, and why it is objectionable please...?

Section 28 of the Local Government Act 1988 prohibits the use of public funds to 'promote' homosexuality, either diectly or through finacing other groups.

The wording of the measure is deliberately vague so as to cast its net more widely.

Its most insidious effect has been that of self-censorship, not least in stifling balanced discussion of lesbian and gay issues in local authority schools.

What I find most objectionable is that it is censorship. That was its intent. And we are a nation that believes in freedom of speech and of expression.

I see, and is there a serious possibility that our more enlightened labour government (note: possible sarcasm) is going to repeal section 28?

It seems that it is inconsistent with both freedom of speach, as you both say, and with inclusion. By disallowing the 'promotion' of homosexuality you are, by inference, promoting heterosexuality. Which means that the official position is that heterosexuality is the 'correct' life path.

Now that is at odds with the governments stance that all members of society are equal and deserve equal treatment.

I can understand schools not wanting to 'promote' christianity or 'promote' buddhism, but these are life choices. As I understand it one does not choose to be homosexual or heterosexual so it is impossible to 'promote' either. You don't catch your sexuality from advertisments.

Be fair. I don't agree with everything the Government does, but they have tried to repeal it, only the House of Lords blocked it.
In Scotland, the legislation has been repealed, and, just as the Christian Institute predicted, regular lessons on 'How to be Queer' and 'Mincing for beginners', with options in 'Dyke Style' and 'Subverting the Nuclear Traditional Christian Family', now take place each morning. Compulsory membership of the Gay and Lesbian youth group has also been established to ensure that regular promotion of homosexuality has a permanent place in daily school life. This is so gay people can subvert children and persuade them all to become gay Satan worshippers.

It is likely that the legislation will be repealed in the next session ; the Conservatives, after the adoption debacle, are likely to allow a free vote

I'd like to think that when section 28 is repealled (with the emphasis on when) we'll be seeing classes dedicate to the apprecation of Steps & How to make the Souffle rise.

quote:
Originally posted by MR PINK:
I'd like to think that when section 28 is repealled (with the emphasis on when) we'll be seeing classes dedicate to the apprecation of Steps & How to make the Souffle rise.

Do you have to like steps to be gay?
Do hettys like lifts and escalators more?

There are hidden depths to this sexuality thing that I had not previously considered. Could you point me to the research you have read which gives the preferred ascension method of people of differing sexual tendencies, please?

Thanks

I'll you this this being Gay lark ain't its all cracked up to be.

quote:

Most definitely not!! [Projectile]

As for wanting to know the best method for getting up I don't think that is a uniquely gay issue. [Wink]

quote:
quote:

As for wanting to know the best method for getting up I don't think that is a uniquely gay issue. [Wink]

Is that a personal attack, or a corporate one? [Mad]

In the Flintstones' theme song we are promised that "we'll have a gay old time." Is this TV show banned under Section 28?

PS I'm a step(father) -- does that make me gay?

Reader Alexis

quote:
originally posted by the well-named "Intelligent by Proxy"
...You obviously don't read very well, or had not bothered to take the time to do so, and you insult my intelligence in a way which almost (but not entirely) makes me fail to have much respect for your post.

The problem is that you don't write very well. Generally, people who engage in writing ironically aren't simultaneously afflicted with terminal earnestness.

And, dear me, do I dare say it? Oh, why not! I don't much care whether you "respect" me or not.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:

[Killing me]

Good grief, I know what Section 28 is, and I'm an American!

Glad you owned up to your ignorance, but my word ...

quote:
quote:
quote:

It wasn't an attack at all1 Hence the [Wink]

Good grief!!

quote:
The problem is that you don't write very well. Generally, people who engage in writing ironically aren't simultaneously afflicted with terminal earnestness.

And, dear me, do I dare say it? Oh, why not! I don't much care whether you "respect" me or not.

Yes, I forgot that some people can't detect irony unless there's a smilie attached...

And I didn't say I didn't respect you; I said I didn't respect your post because of your flagrant mis-reading of mine and your consequent drivel. I couldn't form a respectful opinion of you from one post. Which is lucky really, all things considered.

quote:
quote:
It wasn't an attack at all1 Hence the [Wink]

Good grief!!

Good grief, I was harking back to the sub-plot to my threads in which people always seem to be discussing my sexual prowess and penis size (for some reason [Paranoid] ) I was being sarcastic [Yipee]

Oh Lord! More smiley confusion!!! [Embarrassed]

28 never hindered us giving information or teaching about homosexuality - but we didn't have step classes or souffl`e (how do you get that ` to hover over the e ? ) competitions.

And the girls tended to fall romantically in "love" with the gay men teachers.

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
but we didn't have step classes or souffl`e (how do you get that ` to hover over the e ? ) competitions.

You type & then e then acute

like this

é

There's a whole bunch of similar stuff in the Practice your UBB here thread, about 8 or so pages in (some of it written by me, and some by babybear, so you could search on either of our usernames).

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
28 never hindered us giving information or teaching about homosexuality - but we didn't have step classes or souffl`e (how do you get that ` to hover over the e ? ) competitions.

While I'm opposed to 28 on princple I'm sure that resource teachers will always find a way round it to give the relevant information.

Let's not forget opinion has changed over the last 20 or so years and people are generally more tolerant (and with the forthcoming Sexual Offences Act Hetrosexuals will be treated equally if they indulge in lewd acts in public)

I've often wondered if someone had kissed or sexually come on to me when I was an adolscent wether my life would of taken a different path and I'd saved alot of people a lot of grief but then I wouldn't have alot of the things I've done or been to alot of the places I've been to or had my two beautiful children.

[Away for a week and the second thread you check has awful UBB code.]

[ 03. December 2002, 13:01: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

Posted by The Former Mr PInk (# 2979) on :

Someone told me the otherday I couldn't possibly be Gay as I had no desire to see Mama Mia (are Abba songs regarded as Showtunes thesedays?) and spent my saturday evenings either playing or dancing to records by black americans.

quote:
Originally posted by The Former Mr PInk:
(are Abba songs regarded as Showtunes thesedays?)

Only Dancing Queen, which is also the Ultimate Wall of Sound Experience, from the string section down to the deliberatly very slightly out of tune honky-tonk piano.

quote:
Originally posted by The Former Mr PInk:
Someone told me the otherday I couldn't possibly be Gay as I had no desire to see Mama Mia (are Abba songs regarded as Showtunes thesedays?) and spent my saturday evenings either playing or dancing to records by black americans.

Is your signature deliberately misspelled ?

Next you'll be telling me that you don't like The Sound of Music, and own a Play Station.

[Roll Eyes]

quote:
Next you'll be telling me that you don't like The Sound of Music, and own a Play Station.

[Roll Eyes]

I have never seen The Sound Of Music, and I aspire to a Playstation. What can this mean?

quote:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

I have never seen The Sound Of Music, and I aspire to a Playstation. What can this mean?
That you are a small child whose parents are very poor?

quote:

[Roll Eyes]

One out of two ain't bad (Though The Wizard of Oz is one of my favourite all time movies.)

[UBB not HTML. Remember next time.]

[ 04. December 2002, 12:46: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

quote:
I have never seen The Sound Of Music,
Where have you been?

There is no escape.

[Damn right there's no escape. Go practise code and learn how to get it right.]

[ 04. December 2002, 12:49: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

Intellect : have no fears. You're not gay. Gay men know every line of the Sound of Music down to the last wimple, and we would never, never , even consider buying a play Station - the ultimate hettie boys toy

[Big Grin]

Posted by Nightlamp (# 266) on :

Hettie is that the opposite to homo?

Mersey, when did we stop calling them Breeders? When you say "Hettie" I think of old film stars. Clearly I've missed a newsletter or two from Gay Central. And I loved my Playstation 'til my ex got rid of it so I would "put attention to ME!" (meaning, of course, him). But then, I'm an indifferent dresser and loathe the gym so clearly my gay gene is not fully functional. [Razz]

In all the time I have been coming to the Ship of Fools, this has got to be the most weird-ass thread I have ever encountered.

From the initial post to all the pseudo-purgatorial Section whatever-number speculation, we now descend to Abba.

And show tunes.

Any straight guy with even modest pretentions to sensitvity is eventually confronted with the myth that gay men are the arbiters of taste, popular culture, and "cool."

Then the cognitative dissonance sets in.

Really now, what male, regardless of the ambiguity of his sexuality, is gonna allow himself to be seduced by another guy during a romantic interlude spiced up by pink zinfandel and Julie Andrews singing "I could have danced all night"?

And if they had any doubts, my God, listening to "Dancing Queen" would be enough to send you to the doctor to get testosterone injections until you had hair growing out of the back of your eyeballs.

I propose a new pogrom against gay people. It won't be based on their Unnatural Sexual Practices, but upon the fact that they have Horrible Taste.

quote:
Gay men know every line of the Sound of Music down to the last wimple,

[Big Grin]

Must be genetic.

I seem to be fighting a losing battle.

quote:
I propose a new pogrom against gay people. It won't be based on their Unnatural Sexual Practices, but upon the fact that they have Horrible Taste.

Exactly how many gay people have you eaten, Tomb? And is it a representative sample (so to speak)?
In your experience do black gay people taste different to white gay people?

We need to know.

p.s. I take your comment about this being a wierd-ass thread as a huge compliment.

quote:
Really now, what male, regardless of the ambiguity of his sexuality, is gonna allow himself to be seduced by another guy during a romantic interlude spiced up by pink zinfandel and Julie Andrews singing "I could have danced all night"?

Only one old enough to have seen her in the original London stage production of My Fair Lady, from which she was bounced when the film was made. "I could have danced all night" isn't in TSOM. Trust me - I know every word of both musicals.

Did they even have Zinfandel in those days?

quote:
Gay men know every line of the Sound of Music down to the last wimple. [Big Grin]

A very good friend and fellow shipmate and I have taken this a stage further!

It is possible to sing the 'Gloria in excelsis' in Latin to the tune of 'Eidelweiss'! [Cool]

I'm glad I'm not straight! [Yipee]

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

I'm glad your not straight too. [Big Grin]

P

quote:

I'm just glad I'm me & all that entails (good or bad)

Posted by Duo Seraphim (# 3251) on :

quote:
A very good friend and fellow shipmate and I have taken this a stage further!

It is possible to sing the 'Gloria in excelsis' in Latin to the tune of 'Eidelweiss'! [Cool]

Crikey - he's right!

"Gloriaaa! Gloooriaa! Gloria in exceeelsis!..."

( wanders off humming "How I wish I was gay" to the tune of "There is nothing like a dame" from "South Pacific".)

quote:
And if they had any doubts, my God, listening to "Dancing Queen" would be enough to send you to the doctor to get testosterone injections until you had hair growing out of the back of your eyeballs.

Fortunately some of us have better taste than that. There's always the Village People. [Snigger]

David
actually likes Abba but would also like hair to grow out of the back of his eyeballs

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

Only one old enough to have seen her in the original London stage production of My Fair Lady, from which she was bounced when the film was made. "I could have danced all night" isn't in TSOM. Trust me - I know every word of both musicals.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"--Emerson.

quote:
IntelligentByProxy dribbled:
And I didn't say I didn't respect you; I said I didn't respect your post because of your flagrant mis-reading of mine and your consequent drivel.

Eat shit and die, IBP.

quote:
IBP then salaciously inquired:
Exactly how many gay people have you eaten, Tomb? And is it a representative sample (so to speak)?

In my experience, everybody, regardless of their sexual preference or race, tastes like chicken.

quote:
Ken then inquired:
Did they even have Zinfandel in those days?

No. It was a metaphor.

quote:

quote:
IBP then salaciously inquired:

In my experience, everybody, regardless of their sexual preference or race, tastes like chicken.

quote:
Originally quoted by Tomb in a fit of pique
Eat shit and die, IBP.

Why? Does shit taste like chicken too?
Come on Tomb we need to know all about your unhealthful sexual practices. You are among friends.

[Unhealthful? So not only do you have a small todger, but you also can't code, or speak English properly?]

[ 09. December 2002, 16:28: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

quote:
Originally ranted by IntellectByProxy:
Why? Does shit taste like chicken too?

Please say that you were temporarily delusional because of an unfortunate combination of crack cocaine and psychotropic mushrooms, and don't actually consider that to be any sort of worthy comeback.

quote:
Come on Tomb we need to know all about your unhealthful sexual practices. You are among friends.
One would think that the logical separation between culinary and sexual practices could be automatically assumed unless otherwise specified. That is, of course, unless one regularly copulates with one's food before consumption... Does this explain you, IntellectByProxy? I'm guessing that you might not be welcome back to MacDonalds any more. Makes me wonder, how do you check how hot your coffee is?

quote:
Originally posted by sarkycow in a fit of extreme illiteracy -
[Unhealthful? So not only do you have a small todger, but you also can't code, or speak English properly?]

2 entries found for unhealthful.
un·health·ful ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-hlthfl)
adj.
Causing or conducive to poor health; unwholesome.

Any questions?

Good.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Please say that you were temporarily delusional because of an unfortunate combination of crack cocaine and psychotropic mushrooms,

No, double cappuchino with sugar.

quote:

and don't actually consider that to be any sort of worthy comeback.

No, I was reposting to the lowest common denominator. I didn't want to overly tax Tomb's brain.

quote:
One would think that the logical separation between culinary and sexual practices could be automatically assumed unless otherwise specified.
I never assume anything. Coprophiliacs are a weird bunch.

[corrected the spelling of "weird". Just to tax my brain.]

[ 11. December 2002, 16:22: Message edited by: tomb ]

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
I'm glad your not straight too. [Big Grin]

P

Thank you for what I assume is an affirmation! [Confused]

quote:
Originally blurted by IntellectByProxy:
quote:
Please say that you were temporarily delusional because of an unfortunate combination of crack cocaine and psychotropic mushrooms,

No, double cappuchino with sugar.
If you don't mind accomodating my limited tolerance for dipshit posts, could you then avoid caffeinated beverages while on board? Thanks ever so much.

quote:
Further blurtings from IntellectByProxy:
No, I was reposting to the lowest common denominator.

Please don't do that. Someone might misunderstand the practice, and try to use your post as a denominator, thence causing this thread to approach infinity. Sadly, my buffer is finite.

quote:
And finally, by IBP:
I never assume anything. Coprophiliacs are a wierd bunch.

Yes. You certainly seem to be.
Um... so if you and your smelly coprophiliac buddies never assume anything, do you find that it takes you somewhat longer to accomplish regular tasks than most other people? I mean, just commuting to work every day must be hell, with having to verify where to go, how to get there, and even if you should.

I think that must be an exaggeration. You simply must assume some things. Like, for instance, that tomb's threats are not serious. You might want to follow your principle a little more closely.
(I don't want you to, of course. I'm a sadist.)

quote:
Originally posted by Rook
quote:
Further blurtings from IntellectByProxy:
No, I was reposting to the lowest common denominator.

Please don't do that. Someone might misunderstand the practice, and try to use your post as a denominator, thence causing this thread to approach infinity.

If your assertion holds true, Rook, then if both of us post it doesn't matter who is the denominator and who the numerator as together we will approach unity.

Socrates said that one should always assume an acquaintance is of a higher intellectual class than oneself until they prove otherwise.

Thanks for taking the pressure off, mate.

Warmest regards.

quote:
Coprophiliacs are a weird bunch.

[Eek!] NOT! ON! THE! LIST!!! [Eek!]

(!!!!!)

quote:
(...I'm a sadist.)

Now that, on the other hand... [Snigger]

Posted by Genie (# 3282) on :

quote:
quote:
Coprophiliacs are a weird bunch.

NOT! ON! THE! LIST!!!
Being a lover of obscure words, I just looked it up.

I have finally found a use for that smiley!
[Projectile]

YUCK! The practises of fallen humanity are often bizarre, but some are just plain revolting.

Chastmastr,
What 'list'?

quote:
Chastmastr,
What 'list'?

Dear God, don't ask this please Jim. For the love of God, don't ask it.

CM - answer in a PM please.

Viki

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

CM's List? Oh, you don't know what a treat you're in for, do you, coffee jim?

[hoping CM answers here, because it would bug sarky]

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 3631) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Genie:
"Being a lover of obscure words, I just looked it up."

A wide and varied vocabulary is the hallmark of every truly cultivated person.

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
CM's List? Oh, you don't know what a treat you're in for, do you, coffee jim?

[hoping CM answers here, because it would bug sarky]

If I get bugged in Hell Ruth, I shall toast you. that oughta lighten my mood somewhat. And you did say that admins will do anything to help hosts cope [Big Grin]

Viki

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 3631) on :

....but one hopes not to have to use "Coprophiliac" very often.

(although that does remind me of a story about a guy in New Orleans with a glass coffee table who....never mind.)

Posted by da_musicman (# 1018) on :

Is this list one full of names for bizarre Sex practices?

I read that as "Corporphilliac" and thought it might refer to someone who could only have sex at the whim of huge multinational corporations.

Why did someone make a list of bizarre sex practices? Why? Why, oh Lord? My mind is scarred enough by some of the things I've stumbled across on the internet. I can't take much more. [Cool]

The last time I ran into that word or condition, the Vet prescribed pills that she said would discourage the dog from taking an, er, unhealthy interest in the cat's litter box.

I guess the pills were supposed to work like the antibuse they give alcoholics to make booze taste nasty.

They didn't. The dog just threw up afterward.

So much for a tidy universe where medication fixes everything.

[replaced a pronoun w/ a substantive for clarity]

[ 13. December 2002, 02:33: Message edited by: tomb ]

quote:
Socrates said that one should always assume an acquaintance is of a higher intellectual class than oneself until they prove otherwise.

So, you're taking the interpersonal advice of someone who was killed for being a mouthy jerk? Clever you.

I'd like to suggest that, however clear it can sometimes seem, people's intelligence is not directly tied to their posting on an internet bulletin board. Of course, it is the posts that we must interact with here - but to assume anything beyond the posts themselves might not be wise. The possibility that you really are an engineer, clearly the highest class of intellect in the mundane world, is plain evidence for my case.

quote:
quote:

So, you're taking the interpersonal advice of someone who was killed for being a mouthy jerk? Clever you.

I take the interpersonal advice of one of the greatest recognised thinkers of any age. Whether you agree with him or not, if you regard his advice as being invalid I suggest that this lodges you with the barbarian illiterati who condemned him. Clever you.

quote:
I'd like to suggest that, however clear it can sometimes seem, people's intelligence is not directly tied to their posting on an internet bulletin board. Of course, it is the posts that we must interact with here - but to assume anything beyond the posts themselves --might-- not be wise. The possibility that you really are an engineer, clearly the highest class of intellect in the mundane world, is plain evidence for my case.
Couldn't agree with you more, but if by a man's works shall we know him...

The persona I ascribe to you is based entirely on your postings (which, by the way, are full of wit and insight)

'Engineer' comfortably encompasses people from washing-machine maintenance guys to stealth aircraft designers, and you don't know which end of the scale I am, so be careful about making assumptions. I know everyone's got to have a hobby, but keep it in check.

Oh yeah, one more thing...

quote:
it is the posts that we must interact with here
The recognised correct English construction is

'it is the posts with which we must interact here'

Just thought I'd mention it.

oh fa' crying out loud, anyone who doesn't know about chastmastr just go read the "about the leather thing" thread in dead horses.

Yes, I do 'know about Chastmastr', thankyou very much (sorry for discussing you in the third person, David). Is the list that thing 'The Deviant's Dictionary', perchance? Or something of Chast's own devising (if it's written in verse that would be a bonus)?
I'm pretty familiar with the spectrum of human sexual peculiarities, but it's always amusing to hear about more. In the 'A-Z of Unusual Sexual Practices' I read about something involving a paper plate with a hole in it, spaghetti and meatballs and....anyway, I think it had a Latin name.

quote:
Is the list that thing 'The Deviant's Dictionary', perchance? Or something of Chast's own devising (if it's written in verse that would be a bonus)?

If you wish to know about CM's list, PM him.

Viki

quote:
I take the interpersonal advice of one of the greatest recognised thinkers of any age. Whether you agree with him or not, if you regard his advice as being invalid I suggest that this lodges you with the barbarian illiterati who condemned him. Clever you.

Perhaps my point was a bit too pointy. There's no doubt that Socrates was a great thinker, and an amazing debater. It seems to me that the charges against Socrates used to convict and kill him were largely contrived. Other more well-read people than I have come across various speculations that Socrates was killed because he was a loud annoying dickhead. If they really disagreed with his actual ideas, they would have killed his students as well, for they were merely slightly-more-polite echoes. Thus, I recognize his field of expertise, and his possible weaknesses. In the same manner, I would take seriously Michael Jackson's opinions about pop music, but have distinct doubts about his concepts of beauty. I hope that's blunt enough.

quote:
The persona I ascribe to you is based entirely on your postings (which, by the way, are full of wit and insight)
I suggest you stop being so nice. You'll ruin my chances with Erin, and ChastMastr might become unpleasantly interested in the both of us.

quote:
'Engineer' comfortably encompasses people from washing-machine maintenance guys to stealth aircraft designers, and you don't know which end of the scale I am, so be careful about making assumptions. I know everyone's got to have a hobby, but keep it in check.
This might be your only good shot at me so far, but I think it's accidental. I'm guessing that it's possible you haven't clued in that I'm an engineer, and so was waving my own ego about back there.

quote:

Just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks.
Just a couple questions:
1. Since this is a "rule" with which I am unfamiliar, is it possible that it is a more traditional form not conventionally obeyed in North America?
(Maybe I should ask tomb...)
2. You really are bored, aren't you?

quote:
Originally posted by sarkycow:
quote:
What 'list'?

Dear God, don't ask this please Jim. For the love of God, don't ask it.
[Killing me]

Answered in PM already. [Smile]

quote:
The possibility that you really are an engineer, clearly the highest class of intellect in the mundane world, is plain evidence for my case.

[Killing me]
Which common trait speaks most highly of this esteemed profession, I wonder? The exquisite fashion sense, the finely honed social skills, or the ability to look past the minor details of any situation and see the big picture?

Perhaps the most impressive thing about engineers is the fact that they are able to write compelling prose without needing to ever consult Strunk and White or the Chicago Manual of Style.

quote:
IBP nitpicked:

quote:
And then Rook weaseled:
Since this is a "rule" with which I am unfamiliar, is it possible that it is a more traditional form not conventionally obeyed in North America?

Since the usage is nonrestrictive, "which" is the correct word. You are correct, however; most rules of grammar are not conventionally obeyed in North America, or anywhere else.

In my opinion, both constructions are weak. I recommend, "In this forum, we must interact with the posts."

quote:
quote:

So, you're taking the interpersonal advice of someone who was killed for being a mouthy jerk?
Incidentally, the majority of Christians take the interpersonal advice of someone who was killed for being a mouthy jerk [Roll Eyes]

quote:
This might be your only good shot at me so far, but I think it's accidental. I'm guessing that it's possible you haven't clued in that I'm an engineer, and so was waving my own ego about back there.
Why thankyou, coming from a proven master such as yourself this is high praise indeed. And I did notice you waving your ego about, it's not often the sun darkens in mid-afternoon. By the way, if you're ever in the area, I have a sock trapped in my filter, I'd appreciate it if you could spare the time to remove it.

quote:
I suggest you stop being so nice. You'll ruin my chances with Erin, and ChastMastr might become unpleasantly interested in the both of us.
If ChastMastr does become (un)pleasantly interested in us it will, as your previous assertion upholds, be purely with our posts and not with the us that exists outside. Therefore we have nothing to fear. I shall be nice with impunity.

© Ship of Fools 2016