Thread: Hell: Screaming babies during worship Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000216

Posted by The Riv (# 3553) on :

Why don't some people have the common decency to step out of a service when their child is crying uncontrollably?

Disclaimer: Now, I love children as much as anyone, spend five days a week with the lovely darlings, and have one of my own (and hopefully more to follow).

Continuing: I'm talking about full-blown, seemingly endless crying, and parents who seem completely oblivious to the idea that the sounds erupting from their bundle of joy or toddler as it were may be spiritually disruptive as well as unpleasant. Mercy -- it's a worship service! True, one's own participation suffers by stepping out, but compared to subjecting an entire congregation to a relentless, desperately unhappy child, is it not the right thing to do?

[ 02. June 2003, 23:35: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posted by sharkshooter (# 1589) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:
is it not the right thing to do?

Parents of small children who cry a lot also need to worship. In fact, they probably get very little break from the crying. Often, the nursery staff cannot handle the child because nurseries are usually underequipped to handle such a child. So, perhaps, someone who does not have small, crying children could volunteer to take the crying child out for a walk once in a while.

So, help out rather than complaining. But then, perhaps you already do. In that case, I take my hat off to you.

Posted by Qestia (# 717) on :

Well, since he used the term parentS, it seems there are two of them and they could switch off taking their little bundle of joy out of the room. That's what parents tend to do at our church (that is, the ones who aren't letting their larger bundles of joy run up and down the aisles): first the dad walks the kid out of the church, then the mom does. That way, the worship needs of two people are not interfering with the worship of the entire congregation.

Posted by Fr. Gregory (# 310) on :

If they are people who are not used to church they may not realise that worship usually requires quiet attentiveness (except when singing of course). At a baptism recently (during a normal service) there were a large number of people who were clearly not used to being inside church at all. I was amazed how a number of them thought that it was perfectly OK to conduct quite loud conversations with each other during the prayers.

And how about those who chew gum? Those who snore? Those who sing out of tune? The physically challenged who grunt at inappripriate times? Why.don't.they.all.leave.so.I.don't.have.to.listen.to.them(tm)!

Posted by ChristinaMarie (# 1013) on :

Dear The Riv,

Perhaps you could have a word with the church leaders, and organise a creche for the babies and the toddlers?

I'm not sure that handing distressed babies to other church members, to be taken out, is a good idea. A baby wants his/her mother or father.

In a creche, the mother and father could take turns to be with junior, and test the waters, over time, to see when the child is happy to be with the Creche workers, without the parents being present.

Personally, I do not think that a church service, is an appropriate place for a baby or a young child. They have specific needs, and the church should provide for those needs, instead of expecting unreasonable standards of behaviour, fom a young child, in a situation, he/she doesn't understand, coz they're not old enough.

Christina

Posted by Poppy (# 2000) on :

Babies in church can be a real problem for some people. When mine were tiny I used to take bottles and toys to keep them amused and then when they were weaned I would bribe them with biscuits during the quieter parts of the service. I always thought they were pretty good but some people would glare if they so much as burped during a prayer.

Screaming babies are a hard one. I've always found that the best thing is to ask nicely for a cuddle of the baby and take him/her for a walk and look at the stained glass or candles etc. Not everyone is going to let a stranger have the baby but most will gladly had the bundle of joy over. This allows mum to chill out and allows me to cuddle a tiny baby.

My own children were at their worst when they were toddlers. They were so familiar with the building and the atmosphere that they wanted to go round and say hello to everyone or sit up in the Lady Chapel and make faces at the choir. It took a lot of biscuits and favourite toys/books to keep them reasonably quiet.

Although many people were hostile to their presence in church I always felt that we have a right to be there as long as the noise levels are not disruptive. The problem is that my idea of disruptive and other peoples can be very different.

Posted by Hull Hound (# 2140) on :

If it helps, if I feel disturbed by children with responsible adults then it is my problem, if I am disturbed by children with irresonsible adults it is their problem. I'm on the Clapham omnibus as I write.

So, how do you judge the parents as responsible or irresponsible? In a loving considerate manner, I hope?

Posted by Presleyterian (# 1915) on :

OK, The Riv, now for my disclaimer. I'm not so crazy about babies, spend not much time with them, and have none of my own -- and none to follow. So you can imagine what direction this is about to head in.

To me, the heart of the matter is Poppy's observation that what's disruptive to someone like me is quite different from what's disruptive to a parent who's gotten used to chronic chaos.

Here's how I understand the social contract. As a non-propagator, I agree to:

In return, I expect the following of parents: Some brainiac at my church recently suggested that the people without kids take over the responsibility for running the nursery during church services. Yeah, when people with kids return the favor by coming over to my house to wash my car and do my laundry. I'm glad we have that all cleared up.

Posted by Erin (# 2) on :

Presleyterian: you go, girl. [Not worthy!]

quote:
Originally posted by Presleyterian:
I'm glad we have that all cleared up.

And Merry Christmas to you, too!

You are so hard done by. I really feel sorry for you. Do you think raising kids is easier than your job? Do you think our day ends when we leave work? No. It gets harder and much more important.

I promise that I will raise my children to love others so that they look after people like you (i.e. those with no children) in your old age when you are utterly incapable of looking out for yourself. Perhaps they will become the nurses who change your clothes and bed. Perhaps they will be the doctors who give you a lung transplant. Perhaps they will be the police officers who protect you and your assets. Perhaps they will be the government workers who make sure you get your old age security cheques. Perhaps they will be the piano player who entertains you at the old folks home. Perhaps they will be the clergymen who preside at your funeral. Perhaps...

You get the picture.

What IS your problem, sharkshooter?

Posted by nicolemrw (# 28) on :

oh fa' crying out loud, this is not a 'breeder vs non-breeder" issue. crying kids should be taken out of church and whatever is making them miserable enough to cry like that taken care of! i'm sorry, but personally i think its irresponsible parenting for parents to let a baby cry on without trying to take care of the problem. i certainly never did with mine, thankyouverymuch.

I have a problem with people who will judge parents as irresponsible but fail to try to help out when it is obvious what they need is some help.

so what am i supposed to do, get out of the choir stall in the middle of the service, wander across the alter, and take over someone elses parenting job? yeah, right.

Oh please, sharkshooter, that is so lame. If I've got my nieces or nephew with me and they start squawking, the first thing I do is take them outside.

If you think other people should be subjected to your kids screaming because you can't be bothered to show some consideration for everyone else, I am damn glad you live way the hell up in Canada. Stay there.

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
So, how do you judge the parents as responsible or irresponsible? In a loving considerate manner, I hope?

By riding on the Clapham omnibus.

Posted by day_thomas (# 3630) on :

Im all for having kids in church, it's great and they can make it more fun [Smile]
However, when they start constantly screaming, and putting people of worship, prayers, sermons etc then there is a conflict of interest.

The best churches i have found transmit the service into the creche through the sound system, meaning that the parent / friend who takes the child out does not miss out on anything.
We should not have a go at people whose kids make a noise, at least they are brining them along to church - would you rather they stayed at home??

quote:
I have a problem with people who will judge parents as irresponsible but fail to try to help out when it is obvious what they need is some help.

But grabbing a kid of a parent in the middle of a service might not help - the child will be more upset as it is being handed over to a stranger. We should dupport, and offer help and facilities to small children, otherwise there is the danger that the parents will feel unwanted.

tom

Posted by seadog (# 2931) on :

quote:

Well, thank you, and I don't think that view really deserves the good cuffing you seem to be getting. As someone who doesn't attend a church as I find it impossible to listen or take part in the worship with 2 pre-school children in tow, I would definitely appreciate some help (my spouse is not a Christian before anyone suggests it should be him). I think Ottawa might be a teensy bit too far for us to travel to come to your church though [Smile] .

Posted by troy (# 2516) on :

Unless you REALLY knew the family well, I could imagine several parents being pretty nervous about handing over their child to someone who offered to take him/her because "Well, we are in church after all."

Just stepping in and offering to help is great when moving furniture.....handling a child though is a much more delicate emotional minefield.

Then again, I spend half of my time being paranoid, and the after half imagining how everyone else is as paranoid as I am.

-troy

Posted by duchess [green] (# 2764) on :

ChristinaMarie & Presleyterian both said it better than I could. [Cool]

As an overly doting Aunt of 4 kidlets, I expect everyone in the world to handle kids the way my brother & his wife do.

1. Restaurant-one kidlet acts up and does not behave? Out to the car with dad, mom or an aunt or uncle.
2. Church-screaming child taken out ASAP of church service
3. Parents want together time at fancy restaurant? One of us babysits 4 kids (only 3 people in there area who are willing to do this, my mom, other brother and me)
4. A kid acts up in mall/store? Threatened to leave or taken out to car.

I took my niece (8 year old) to a little girl's tea. She started making firing ranges out the little bears on top of drinking cups and getting another little girl involved. It was darn funny but I had to make her behave (this is a tea party for pete's sake) and she would not obey me...so I told her "if you do not stop this instant, I am taking you home RIGHT NOW!" she stopped! She knows I mean business since I do follow through.

When the kids were babies, they were just removed.

Another thing is at my church, we have a nursery and Sunday School made up of members of the church. We all rotate and get about one Sunday every month and a half. We get to pick the age too. We have a pretty small church but still this works out pretty good. If a baby will not calm down, someone discreetly goes into church and yanks away a parent.

I think singles' getting stuff piled on them since "you are single and have no life" blows. It is unfortunately a very ingrained prejudice. Unorganized managers who are lazy just don't want to find better ways to accomodate people's schedules. As an aunt and being sucked into a lot of activity with my brother's kids (since I am in love with the little guys even though half the time I want to tear my hair out), I still find it repelent when the world wants people to put up with their screaming child. Sometimes the child is so overtired, all he/she wants is to sleep and the dang parent refuses to put the kid down but keep him/her up, giving everyone in the place a migraine.
[Mad]

Posted by Poppy (# 2000) on :

If a baby is really acting up in church then surely it is more helpful to the parent to go up and offer some help than to just glare at them and hope they will go away. I've gone up to parents with screaming babies and it turned out that they were worried about feeding their babies in church and all it needed to get the noise levels down was an 'it's ok to feed them' or 'would you like me to go and warm up a bottle.'

There is a hard core in my church who resent any noise made by children and babies. You have to be pretty tough minded to take small children into some services. That's tough when you feel a need to be connected to God yet have to run the gauntlet of tutting and glaring from the congregation.

quote:
Originally posted by Poppy:
If a baby is really acting up in church then surely it is more helpful to the parent to go up and offer some help than to just glare at them and hope they will go away.

And the parent can't get up off their butt and take the kid outside because...?

for that matter, the kids screaming cause it hungry, and the parent can't give it a bottle? talk about irresponsible parenting!

Posted by busyknitter (# 2501) on :

I don't often feel smug about my own church (though it's a very good church) but I do think we have worked this issue out pretty well.

Babies are welcome in the service and tiny babies usually stay in. But if people want they can be taken into the side vestry, which has the service piped through. There is also a creche except on family service days for older babies and toddlers and this is run on a rota basis. At a family service anything goes and the congregation expects and tolerates quite a bit of noise from the little ones. But at other times, it seems to be the case that if the babes start to make a noise, then they get taken out for a while.

As someone who has been through the experience of coping with a very difficult toddler in church in the past and is now starting out again with baby 2-ply, I actually agree with the "Take them out" camp. In theory at least. In practice, it can be very difficult to accept that this is the best thing to do when you are chronically tired and desparate for some worship and teaching. In my case, having a non church-going husband only adds to the stress here.

When you are in the middle of that phase of parenting, it can feel like you will never escape it. So while it might not be practical to physically help with someone's children during a service, people should at least offer sympathy, understanding (and some decent toys in the vestry [Smile] )

BK

ok, something else i don't understand, busyknitter, not singling you out, because other people have said similar... where only one parent is church going, why bring the baby at all? the other parent can keep the kid happy at home!

Posted by Moth (# 2589) on :

As a parent of a confirmed screamer (not hungry, not tired, not wet, "just colic") I know how hard it can be. We are presuming in this discussion there is an outside one can go to, for one thing - not just a freezing car park in the rain?

I am all for parents taking children outside if they're noisy. But sometimes you just can't. You have to be on the bus because you're picking up another child, for example. Or child one is reading a prayer and will cry his heart out if you're not watching...

And anyone who has not had a screamer has no idea how truly soul-destroying it can be, especially when those who look after nieces and nephews for the odd day tell you it's all in how you handle them. Yeah, right. Have one of your own, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week THEN come back and tell me that...

Still don't see how having to take care of a screamer 24/7 exempts one from the common courtesy of removing a screaming child.

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

I'm not sure the answer to screaming babies in the congregation during worship is expecting the single/and/or childless people to deal with it, while the parents sit back and enjoy child-free bliss. So many Sunday schools I know are inundated by kiddies dropped off by parents who are very happy to utilize the free hour and a half baby-sitting service, with no reciprocal 'what can we do' for the church who provides it.

Though having said that I love babies and children and if I had the chance I'd be happy to spend my 'worship' time colouring in and chatting away to a three-year old, tucked away in a creche area, or the Sunday school room!

My initial response is guided by my college experience of where the student common room was often used as an unsupervised creche and playroom by some parents, who spotting a student taking a cup of java or a newspaper to have a quiet read would send their offspring over to the common room, while they had a quiet two hours at home.

Apart from the obvious Child Protection Act difficulties, this was probably a little unfair on the unsuspecting - and not always single - student who suddenly found themselves 'responsible' for someone else's children.

It's good that parents have a break from their kids (so my mother tells me!) but it probably needs to be well organized, beyond the 'let the single people cope with it' approach.

As a minister, I mind the noise that kids make in church much less than the congregation, generally. Even when I'm sermonizing or praying etc. And we're fortunate to have a big enough building for parents to go walkabout with noisy kids, without being too much of a distraction.

I do feel very sad when I see the disapproving scowls, and hear the tuts and complaints of some people towards parents and their babies. We are meant to be some kind of a family after all. But it does happen sometimes that some parents or guardians really don't know what they can and can't do once they're through the church doors, and the thought of moving to the back of church, or going to another room or outside is equally as embarrassing as sitting there while the storm rages. We need to make sure our provision for kiddies is
a) actually there in place and accessibly so and
b) we're just that little bit more friendly and accepting than we might otherwise choose to be if it were a perfect world!

Posted by chukovsky (# 116) on :

quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:
for that matter, the kids screaming cause it hungry, and the parent can't give it a bottle? talk about irresponsible parenting!

You are assuming the child isn't breast-feeding, and that everyone in the church is fine with public breast-feeding.

Babies cry. It is part of life in a society that includes children. If you are lucky enough that you don't have to deal with it in real life, spend your service thanking God for that fact. Get over yourselves. Worship is part of real life. It is not a concert!

look, i too have no problem with kids being kids. rustling papers as they color or draw, crunching snacks, whispered comments, fine, no problem.

but theres a big differece between that and what was specified in the op, a parent who lets their kid scream unendingly during the service. thats a BIG problem.

Well, chukovsky, it's nice to see that you, at least, don't suffer from ADD, and require a long period of quiet in order to worship properly. I avoid family services because I know that I can expect children to be there, and acting up. However, if there are children running around and screaming in the middle of other services, there is no fucking point to my being there, as I CANNOT CONCENTRATE AT ALL. I might as well not even show up.

So once again: church is for the families. Single people can piss off.

i breast fed. i carried a bottle of breast milk in case of emergencies and no private place to feed.

hungry babies need to be fed. if the baby can't be bottle-fed for whatever reason, then all the MORE reason to take the kid out, find a private place and FEED it!

or for that matter, breast feed right there! i have no problem with that.

Posted by Anna B (# 1439) on :

As the mother of a five-month-old with an extraordinary pair of lungs, I find I am in sympathy with those who would prefer that the little darlings stay at home. I must say, though, that I find the hateful looks so often directed at screaming children to be un-Christian as well as ineffective.

For some reason, it is wedding where parents sit there, content, with a big dopey smile on their face while Junior baby screams his lungs out. I have sat through 3 weddings like this recently (in the last 2 years). It was unreal! I got a headahce each time.

I think if I ever get married, I won't mind kids coming, but I would beg some men to discreetly escort out into the lobby. I was at one church that did this and I wanted to kiss that man's feet. The mom looked very angry but did leave with screaming baby.

I am an aunt of a past screamer, my nephew. He screamed so much that the police were called one night. (In case you are wondering, the cops finally left after quizzing everyone). His weary parents would remove him from any place where he screamed. Because I saw this, I just don't "get" parents who think they have a right to disrupt everyone's worship/wedding/event.

A babbling infant is one thing, an overtired crying and/or screaming child is another.

It's one thing to pitch in in the face of the unexpected -- illness, the loss of a job, a family emergency, or the like. What I'm talking about are parents who look upon "help" as some sort of entitlement when the predictable tantrum or hunger pangs happen. And even worse, when they expect me to feel privileged for the honor of "helping."

Despite what Hilary Clinton may say, it doesn't take a village to raise a child. It takes parents willing to live up to the responsibility they took on when they conceived the child in the first place.

I'm not at all suggesting that parenthood is easy. Obviously it's not. That's one of the reasons that I've declined to take on that responsibility. But people who have children agree to care for those kids around the clock for a minimum of eighteen years. And they make that decision freely and voluntarily. All I ask is that they live up to that responsibility without feeling that they have a right to bind me to a contract that I never signed.

Posted by multipara (# 2918) on :

nicolemrw, you ask why busyknitter's non-churchgoing partner cannot babysit. It may be that he WILL NOT oblige for church. Seadog has made a similar comment in an earlier post and in my past experince the atheistical Sponsa Amabilis flatly refused to mind an unweaned, untoilet-trained infant while I went off to what he descibed as "your Popish fripperies". This is a common game played by heathen spice(?) and is used to bring recalcitrant wives to heel i.e. make sure the recalcitrant one cannot get a life of her own.

There are a whole lot of reasons why parents with squallers do not get up and leave straightaway. There is always the hope that one can pacify the kid with the tit or bottle (if that way inclined). I used to arrive with scarf (to place strategically over exposed boz) and just latch the kid on. Sung Masses were a bonus because of the competition factor of the choir. The downside of Cathedral services is they tend to attract the nutters such as the bearded gent who poked me between the shoulderblades and ordered me to stop breastfeeding in church (he was told most emphatically to f*** off). Another factor in a crowded church is the sheer impossibility of getting out the door if the place is packed to the rafters; I once had a horrid experience during a Good Friday liturgy when my firstborn went berserk during the General Intercessions ;I was miles away from an exit and it would have involved (literally) stepping over bodies.

Obviously a creche or a sound-proofed side room is the answer; my parish has the former, which is mainly staffed by stalwart parents. I must admit I hated leaving my very small kids there during the 10-30 am Mass and only did so out of a sense of duty; the alternative was to attend the 8 am Mass with a freshly fed and changed baby who would (consequently) be in a good mood.

As for the starers, tutters and other general pains in the arse , well, stuff'em. There are plenty of child-unfriendly churches and /or services they can attend.

Finally , I must tell you posters that you are lucky you never encountered the late Michel Casey. Case was a Northern Irishman who was sent to the colonies immediately after his ordination. He was for many years the parish priest of Queanbeyan (a little town just outside of Canberra) and later at Yass (on the other side of Canberra). Case would not tolerate screaming kids during Mass and was known to stop (in the middle of the Tridentine mass), turn around and tell the parent in question to remove the child if it would not shut up. To his credit, he installed a sound-proofed side room in the parish church at Yass and was most pissed off when it was not used at all times. He once electrified the parishioners when he commented from the pulpit that he was fed up with those who brought their screamers to church (as he put it)"to show off their fertility"!!!

Well, he is long gone and I do wonder if he did a short stretch in Purgatory surrounded by screaming kids, before being promoted to glory (in the company of the Holy Innocents, one hopes).

cheers all,

m

quote:
ok, something else i don't understand, busyknitter, not singling you out, because other people have said similar... where only one parent is church going, why bring the baby at all? the other parent can keep the kid happy at home!
fair question nicolemrw. We did discuss this the other day. Trouble is, mr. BK's day job is looking after the baby while I am at work and I want to look after him at the weekends. It would also cause trouble with my older child, who would resent being "dragged" to church while baby brother got to stay at home.

quote:
Babies cry. It is part of life in a society that includes children. If you are lucky enough that you don't have to deal with it in real life, spend your service thanking God for that fact. Get over yourselves. Worship is part of real life. It is not a concert!

Chukovsky [Not worthy!]

However, people have to display a degree of common courtesy and be sensitive to the occasion. Couldn't agree more with Duchess about weddings and other special services. The very worst experience that I had with my older son was when he was 18months old and we had moved to a new town. We turned up at our new church for the very first time not knowing anyone, to find that it was the dedication service for their new curate who had just been ordained deacon. I was so desperate to be part of the service (the previous 6 months had been very unsettling) but the little guy would have none of it. No choice but to take him out and i ended up in tears in the vestry

BK
ps note Wool Basket is in UK. Note also that this post is written at 03.15GMT. aah, the joys of sleep training! [brick wall]

Posted by logician (# 3266) on :

I do recall that when Moses came down with the commandments the babies all just hushed immediately in recognition of the importance of the occasion. Why can't modern children be more like that?

I recall an embarrassed mother feeling relieved after several of the dear Swedish ladies came up to her after service, saying "This was a dying church. We haven't had a baby crying in here for seventeen years."

Actually, logician, those babies hushed because of the time-honoured Jewish custom of stuffing a wine-soaked gauze into their infant mooshesat important moments (like how else does the mohel do his dastardly work without anaesthesia?)

cheers,

m

Posted by MarkthePunk (# 683) on :

My sympathies to those with difficult babies and toddlers. That phase of childhood is one reason I'm thank God I'm single (even though for many years I desparately wanted to be married).

Nevertheless, I'm with Presleyterian, Erin, and others: having children does not give one the right to inflict them on others who came to church to worship, not to listen to crying babies and incessant noise makers. Crying babies and noisy toddlers should be taken out.

At the same time, there needs to be a nursery and/or a "crying room" with the service piped in. I'm glad to say my church has both. And I'm glad to say that from time to time the church bulletin makes it clear noisy children are to taken out of the service, a rule both well complied with and well accomodated.

There needs to be consideration both for people with small children and those without.

Posted by aig (# 429) on :

This could only be hell. I am astounded by the lack of understanding and support for those of us who had/have difficult children.
Having somewhere to go with them is good - I spent years arriving late to church, sitting in the creche with assorted droolers (and their children), taking communion and leaving. I kept going but it was a scarey and marginalising time. The worst experience of all was going to a special family service where my son started running around and screaming - there was nowhere to go and sit quietly so I could only take him home. Miserable and alienating.
Be more tolerant. [Cool]

Aig wrote:
quote:
I am astounded by the lack of understanding and support for those of us who had/have difficult children.
In the immortal words of SuperChicken, "You knew the job was dangerous when you took it."

My problem is that the tolerance only seems to go in one direction. When a child's screams fill the sanctuary -- and as Nicole pointed out, we're not talking about kids who talk quietly or snack or color or fidget around in the pew -- the thought process of the parent who refuses to step outside even for a moment goes something like this:

Yes, I know that my child's screams are breaking the concentration of 500 people trying to worship in the sanctuary, drowning out the words of a pastor who spent days crafting a sermon, and destroying the hard work of a choir that practiced for hours. But I've gotten used to it by now, don't feel like taking responsibility for the care of my colicky child, and can't to be bothered to step outside on the rare occasion when the kid gets out of control. So the rest of you can just go to hell because my personal worship experience is more important than yours.

So who's intolerant and unchristian?

Actually, the thought process of a parent with a colicky child goes "Fire bad, tree pretty", to quote Buffy! One is incapable of rational thought after constant noise and sleep deprivation, as torturers the world over know!

I am absolutely with those who don't like crying children. Nor do I. If they are in restaurants, private services/occasions etc., they should be removed. If they are running around in supermarkets and shopping malls, they should be restrained.

They are, however, part of the body of Christ. So far as I recall, Christ himself reprimanded those who tried to stop children approaching him - 'The Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these'.

I certainly stuck to 'child-friendly' services whilst mine were small. I still do now, to be honest, though they are well-behaved and sing in the choir. All I'm saying is: sometimes there is nothing you can do. You just have to be somewhere unsuitable, and the child is playing up. After all, the child holds all the aces - it doesn't care how much noise it makes, you do. It knows you daren't smack it in a public place, or half the child-haters will instantly turn into child-defenders and phone social services! Oh, and if you don't smack the child the other half will tell you it's all down to modern child rearing methods...!

There are some bloody stupid adults out there who invite you to weddings, funerals etc., get all offended when you say you can't come because you have a horrible, screamy child (who won't feed for anyone else) and then when you do bring it (at their insistance) glare at you the whole time!

There, that's done me the world of good - back to the season of goodwill. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:

Church is for EVERYONE. Including screaming babies, and their parents.

I am single and don't have kids. If or when I do, I really hope that I and they are not relegated to a "soundproof room"... I do some of my work in one and there are few things more claustrophobic and alienating than knowing no-one can hear you. How on earth is that being part of a service? I go to church to worship and participate, not listen. I might as well stay at home and listen to a tape if I'm not going to be allowed to participate.

Posted by Beethoven (# 114) on :

Time to add my tuppen'orth. I will start by stating my credentials (for anyone who doesn't know!) - I am the mother of a 1-year old. She attends church every Sunday (although not normally with me any more for totally unconnected reasons!), and although generally well-behaved, like all small children she can have her moments [Roll Eyes]

My tolerance level for her noise varies according to which church we're in (i.e. whether it's the local church where she's a regular and people are used to her occasional bits of 'chatting', singing etc., or whether it's one that she doesn't often attend) and whereabouts in the service we are. Personally I try to keep her as silent as possible through the Eucharistic Prayer, Intercessions and Sermon, and reasonably quiet for the rest. However, the uncontrollable screaming referred to in the OP is always the cue to take her out. We're very fortunate though - that doesn't happen too often. Strangely, I don't find other babies crying too distracting, as long as I can still hear the service. Once it drowns out the service, then yes, I have a problem with it.

I suppose, IMHO the guideline should be - if the child is distrubing the rest of the congregation, it's time to leave. I know that can mean the parents have to leave the service, too, but it seems to me that it just is not fair on everyone else to stay. For all that it may be the parents' only chance in the week to attend a church service, it may be for other people in the congregation too.

quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:
quote:

I am single and don't have kids. If or when I do, I really hope that I and they are not relegated to a "soundproof room"... I do some of my work in one and there are few things more claustrophobic and alienating than knowing no-one can hear you. How on earth is that being part of a service? I go to church to worship and participate, not listen. I might as well stay at home and listen to a tape if I'm not going to be allowed to participate.

So you really, honest-to-God think that everyone else should have to put up with a screaming child? I don't get this mindset at all. If your child is screaming uncontrollably, how on earth can you NOT take the kid out of the situation? God, that is not only rude as hell to everyone else, but cruel to the child, too. Obviously the child is unhappy/tired/ill/whatever, so your solution is to hell with it, I'm here and I'm staying? Sheesh, I'm glad you people weren't my parents.

Posted by day_thomas (# 3630) on :

We just need to be sensible about this
quote:
I really hope that I and they are not relegated to a "soundproof room"... I do some of my work in one and there are few things more claustrophobic and alienating than knowing no-one can hear you. How on earth is that being part of a service? I go to church to worship and participate, not listen. I might as well stay at home and listen to a tape if I'm not going to be allowed to participate.
You can out the service through speakers into the sound proof room. Tis means that the parents, or whoever takes the child out, still gets the sermon, worship etc while the child can be calmed down. When they have calmed down why not go back and sit in the back.

Everyone should be welcome at church, and if everyone thought of others, and not themselves first it would be fine. Isnt that a major part of christianity!

If we have respect for others positions we'll be fine - parents might realise that their child cna be a bit disruptive, and others will realise that there is not much you can do when a kid is screaming blue murder.

tom

Posted by anglicanrascal (# 3412) on :

quote:
Sheesh, I'm glad you people weren't my parents.

Erin, my angel, I don't think that many people on this board would want to take on THAT particular challenge!

Hugs,
AngRasc

Posted by Jengie (# 273) on :

This is Hell so my fathers attitude as a retired minister is

Well if the child is going to make that sort of noise I better preach a bit louder than usual.

Boy can those old time (i.e. trained before amplification was standard) preachers belt it if they have an excuse to. (Tangent, to cope with amplification they normally have had to adjust their standard preaching style otherwise it is too loud so it is just a case of returning to the familiar). This is all of course without shouting [Wink] .

Nah in our church its the ones who decided to suck the fairy lights when they are on that are the problem. We have few enough as it is.

Jengie

Posted by Ginga (# 1899) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie:
Nah in our church its the ones who decided to suck the fairy lights when they are on that are the problem. We have few enough as it is.

Few enough children or fairy lights? I don't imagine it's very good for either.

Posted by Jengie (# 273) on :

Few enough children. If anything too many fairy lights the congregations thinks the tree looks gaudy.

Jengie

Posted by madferret (# 3353) on :

Apologies for that last post. Someone will be along to delete it. I will remove my shepherds tea towel & try again...

quote:
I go to church to worship and participate, not listen.

But how is that possible with a screaming child nearby?

Consider:
1. The child doesn't care: all on its mind is whatever is causing its present distress
2. The parent can't concentrate: through worry about the child or simply from the noise
3. Others in the vicinity can't concentrate owing to the distraction of the child

A lot depends on the location. I wouldn't cast screaming kids & their into the street. But there's nothing wrong in my view in setting aside a side room. Most parents in my church are too embarrassed to stay in the services in such circumstances anyway!

[Strike 1 [Wink] ]

[ 18. December 2002, 12:49: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

It’s all academic, we are not (I hope in the business) of making anybody leave.

Though it does beg the question of what does your church do with other types of uncontrollable behavior, drunkenness, mental and physical disabilities?

There is no simple answer. We in our church employ the : Preaching louder: family service and Sunday Fun Club: room with piped service: toys at the back: very tolerant of most things, tactics BUT when we get the odd inconsolable screamer because ( I hope) we are trying to be deeply prayerful the parent often just takes them out. Often the church wardens go out to offer support.

It is the worst sound in the world. It has evolved to make everybody (especially the parent) very uncomfortable until the cause has been remedied.

It is not to much to ask that the greater good (after every reasonable precaution has been taken) be followed. And if the parent will not take the baby out then hey we have to turn the other cheek. Maybe in this one instance the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many.

P King of the UnHoly Compromise.

Well, this thread has opened my eyes. I really thought we had an OP everyone could agree with. Apparently not. I hope that it's just a misunderstanding, that Sharkshooter et al don't really think 200-decibel screamers should be allowed to disrupt worship of the entire congregation. But sheesh, if, as it appears, they really think it's okay, well, that certainly explains a lot.

quote:
So, help out rather than complaining. But then, perhaps you already do. In that case, I take my hat off to you.

Sharkshooter: Actually, I have offered in the past to take a child out. Only once was it accepted. All other occasions have been met with looks of horror, incredulity, or offense. I do appreciate that those with colicy (sp?) children need a hand. However, after a point, I simply feel a child who won't or can't settle ought to be taken somewhere other than the primary worship space.

Riv.

As moth and others have said, sometimes it's NOT possible to take the child out, either because there's nowhere to go, or because there are other circumstances such as another child needing the parent in the room.

I know some people go to church to listen, and for them being in a side room and able to hear the worship would be sufficient. I go to church to participate, and being in a side room and hearing what was going on would not be anything like church for me. You say you want to worship in quiet and reverence - well I want to worship in person, not listen to other people worshipping while not being present. I don't see why a parent of an inconsolable child should be able to participate any less than anyone else. Maybe they need more than you to be present.

If you take the child out, it may well still cry - I doubt any parent wishes the crying to be prolonged - they have probably tried everything. Occasionally just being held by another person - not a parent - will stop a child from crying, but generally the parents know what will and won't work and will have tried them all. So going out of the service will not stop the child from crying (unless it's the preaching that is making them cry? [Wink] ). So basically you are just moving the problem.

The crying child is part of your church community, and part of your community in general. If you don't want children in your church, go to a different church. Most evening services, and some early morning services, are quite child-free - may I suggest you try them instead. If you don't want children in your community, you may have to try a different planet.

Actually, I have a better idea. How about a quiet, video-linked room for people who don't like noise? They could have the words of the sermon and the hymns as subtitles, then they wouldn't have to listen to anything at all, or acknowledge that their are children in the world?

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:

I took my daughter to church, on my own, from the age of 1 week old, because that's where I wanted her to be. Church is the place for small children, just as it is the place for all of us.

And we kept it up for nearly 14 years until she decided she wanted to go to another church.

Posted by Scot (# 2095) on :

I’ve experienced this from just about every imaginable angle. I am a parent of two small children, but I wasn’t always. I’ve planned services which were disrupted by children. I’ve worked in the kids’ areas. I’ve been on staff, trying to decide policies regarding children in church. I’ve had my own kids in church, in the soundproof “mothers’ room”, in the lobby, in the nursery, and occasionally in the car.

I believe that church is a fundamentally family-friendly institution. This doesn’t mean that the singles are obligated to become servants of the parents (at least not any more than we are all supposed to become servants). It does mean that no one should ever be made to feel unwelcome because of having a child.

Mothers’ rooms, speakers in the lobby or outside, and nursery care are all immensely helpful in creating an environment where parents, children, singles, and the short-of-attention-span can coexist peacefully. It is incumbent on parents to provide the human and financial resources for these programs. As Presleyterian points out, we signed up for this gig.

Personally, I have never and will never allow my children to disrupt a service, or any public event. There is nothing that gets a faster or firmer parental reaction from me than crying or loud talking in church. On the other hand, I have never excluded anyone from a church function because of their children. I simply cannot imagine Christ sending someone away because their baby was crying.

Posted by Mousethief (# 953) on :

Being pewless here shows its advantages. When children start screaming at the top of their lungs, it is easy for one of the parents to walk them out of the nave, and figure out what is ailing them, and/or calm them down. Then they re-enter. This happens over and over again in our service. Nobody even pays it any mind. It's just considered part of bringing a little one to church.

Reader Alexis

quote:
If your child is screaming uncontrollably, how on earth can you NOT take the kid out of the situation? God, that is not only rude as hell to everyone else, but cruel to the child, too. Obviously the child is unhappy/tired/ill/whatever, so your solution is to hell with it, I'm here and I'm staying?

It is different for toddlers. But for very little babies, if they are warm, and clean, and fed, and still cry - which they sometimes do - then all you can do is pick them up and cuddle them and sing to them. You can do that as well in the church as out.

So from the POV of the baby, staying in church with them may well not be cruel. Lots of babies, especially in the 3-9 month sort of age, are happier in crowds than away from them. The rhythms of a church service sing-silence-talk-sing or whatever can be calming to some babies.

It's very different from a toddler who will have developed their own opinion of church and whether they want to be in it or not. That's a much bigger problem if they will not let you be part of the service.

I was quite lucky that my own daughter mostly got on well in church when she was 2 or 3. But there were some of the adults there who thought the little kids should be in the creche. So I tried to take her there and she hated that. I certainly couldn't leave her in the creche so if she was there I had to be, which meant that I missed whatever was happening.

So, in practice, I ended up being the only man helping out with looking after the little kids in the creche - which was quite fun, I suppose, but I did get upset at the attitude of some of the others that children shouldn't be in the service. That's changed now. But we were, to some extent, excluded from large parts of the service by the opinions of a minority of grumpy parishioners who didn't want to be around children.

When she was 3 years old and could go to the more structured Sunday School then she was quite happy with being left.

But all that has got nothing to do with the duty of feeding, changing, or otherwise caring for a baby in some obvious and fixable distress, which no-one here has suggested you shouldn't do.

quote:

What she said.

quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
I simply cannot imagine Christ sending someone away because their baby was crying.

Amen to that.

Church is, or at any rate ought to be, in some ways more like home than like a public place. Do you send the parents of a crying child out of their home?

Posted by Astro (# 84) on :

It also can be relative. Once when the children had been particular noisy in the part of the service when they are present. Afterwards collecting my child from the creche a visting father who was picking his child up commented on how quiet the children had been during the service. He was obviously used to a lot more noise.

quote:
You can do that as well in the church as out.
So the attitude here, ken, is that "if I have to listen to the screaming brat cry, so does everyone else"? Could you possibly be ANY more self-centered and inconsiderate?

quote:
So the attitude here, ken, is that "if I have to listen to the screaming brat cry, so does everyone else"? Could you possibly be ANY more self-centered and inconsiderate?

I don't think I've ever called a crying child as a "screaming brat". Or even thought it.

I notice you didn't deny the rest of it.

Erin - I put up with you in my world, much as I'd like not to hear you scream [Big Grin] you are part of the community. Sorry if you don't like the fact that babies are part of your community - but they are.

A church without babies is going to be a non-existent church pretty soon. Funny how the Shakers aren't very numerous, isn't it?

I'm sure Erin was a delightful child. [Snigger]

There's some comments on "participating" in worship. Disrupting worship with a noisy child is a sorry way of participating in my view.

Chukovsky, having consideration and accomodation for both those with small children and those who don't want to listen to their outbursts during the service is a far far cry (no pun intended) from having "a church without babies."

You seem to feel it's o.k. to willfully inflict one's difficult children on those who simply want to worship in peace. Your arrogance to those in the latter catagory is breathtaking.

Well, if you disrupt worship by wearing a loud jumper, singing off-key, mispronouncing names in the Bible, or having a seizure during the service, I promise not to complain about those either, if you feel that participating in the service is still what you want to do.

Not everyone, adults or children, behaves perfectly. We are still their brothers and sisters.

quote:
Erin - I put up with you in my world, much as I'd like not to hear you scream [Big Grin] you are part of the community. Sorry if you don't like the fact that babies are part of your community - but they are.

A church without babies is going to be a non-existent church pretty soon. Funny how the Shakers aren't very numerous, isn't it?

Okay, who on this thread said anything about babies not being allowed in church? There really is a difference, you know, between normal children's behavior -- which no one here has objected to -- and screaming like a Banshee. I don't care how much you would like to participate -- if your child is screeching at the top of his/her lungs, you cannot participate in anything.

quote:
<snip!>

Actually, I have a better idea. How about a quiet, video-linked room for people who don't like noise? They could have the words of the sermon and the hymns as subtitles, then they wouldn't have to listen to anything at all, or acknowledge that their are children in the world?

Funny you should say that...my church family rents from a synagogue. The elders asked the Jewish elders if we could build a sort of mobile for the pastor and staff, which they graciously allowed. In that very mobile, the breast-feeding mothers go and watch the service on the tv there. The pastor own wife has used this on more than one occasion.

So at my church, we have

a) mobile room with tv for viewing
b) nursery set up with rotating volunteers (including me)

STILL, we get some screamers. Fortunately, being a rather uptight church once in a while has advantages...people always seem to get up after awhile with screaming baby and take him/her out for awhile since you can feel the "your baby is being disruptive vibes".

As much as I love these babies and their parents, their is simply no excuse for dragging an over-tired/sick/colicky baby into church. The baby needs more attention too and the parent is refusing to acknowledge that when they ignore the cries of a baby crying out. [Mad]

I'm not talking exclusion of those with children. I'm not talking about minor disturbances, or even calm-one-minute/upset-one-minute (child) cycles. I'm not endorsing nasty looks toward struggling parents, and would just as soon confront a parishoner who would send them as one who'd walk over and knock a parent upside the head. I'm not talking about drunks, the mentally ill, or disabled, or gum-chewers, or nose-pickers, or off-key singers (though I'm tempted to start a thread on that one; it may not be what you'd expect). I think churches have an obligation to accommodate children and their families in terms of facilities. I think that worship services do not exist in a vacuum, and that inclusion is a principle of all Christian bodies. I think more church men (in Ken's example) should spend time in nurseries and 'crying rooms.' And, when whimpering turns to crying turns to wailing turns to screaming, I think parents ought to recognize the sanctity of worship and even temporarily remove their troubled child for whatever reason, be it hunger, fatigue, filth in the diaper, tummy trouble, etc.

Sharkshooter: Your kid(s) may well become the nurses, doctors, police officers, government workers, piano player(s), and/or clergymen who impact our lives for the better/longer because of their respect/love for the health, safety, freedom, enjoyment, and souls of the rest of us. And if they should in turn have children of their own who are crying/screaming uncontrollably during a worship service, I hope that in the spirit of that same respect/love they'll remove them until they're settled down.

Ken said:
quote:
Do you send the parents of a crying child out of their home?
s - t - r - e - t - c - h. [Roll Eyes]

I forgot.

Presleyterian, thanks for your post.

So, the Riv, what would you endorse where the parent is at church on their own, and there is nowhere else to take the child, or some other reason why the parent cannot take the child out?

And why is is worse to have a disruptive child than a disruptive adult? An adult who is having a loud seizure is no more or less in control of their disruptiveness than a parent who has tried everything is necessarily in control of their offspring.

Explain this "nowhere else to take the child" thing. Are they being held at gunpoint?

Posted by Paul W (# 1450) on :

Of course, the best answer is found in a pentecostal church. There, you can stand imposingly over the mother, and declare in a loud voice "This child has a demon in it." Then attempt to perform an exorcism. I guarentee the mother will remove the child from the room very quickly.

[Big Grin] [Devil]

Paul

Personally, I have never remained in a church service of any kind while my children cried, no matter how loudly.

We rarely attended church for 4 years because both of our kids were, for a time, rather difficult. Not once did anyone call, or come visit to find out what was wrong, or why we did not attend any more. It was the worst 4 years of my life. No church. No friends. No community.

However, I will support those parents who remain in church even with a crying child. If it is too disturbing for you, pray for strength for the parents, that they can deal with the kids, the crying, and the unkind looks they inevitably get. Pray for the kids, something is obviously bothering them. Pray for yourself, and everybody else who has to listen to it. But, do not turn them away. Worship can take many forms. If you cannot hear the sermon, there are alternatives.

quote:
Explain this "nowhere else to take the child" thing. Are they being held at gunpoint?

See Moth's posts - not all churches consist of more than one room. The choice, as she says, can be "church with intermittently crying child" or "no church (or about five minutes of church per week) for a year".

The choice might also temporarily be "leave church with all offspring including the one that's supposed to be in the nativity play" or "church with crying child", whereas on other occasions it may be "no church alternate weeks because child cries five minutes into service alternate weeks".

The latter may be supportable, even over the course of a year, but the former choice might just have to come out as "church with crying child so other offspring can be in nativity play".

Very good advice, Paul. [Big Grin]

As for adults with loud seizures [Roll Eyes] , I've never seen that in church. If it's a medical emergency, then goodness, get a docter to the poor guy. Who cares about quiet then. If it's something else and he or she can walk, certainly he can go out until it's over. Heck, I've done that before if my allergies or coughs are too much for me to keep quiet.

The arguments in favor of making a worship service a wailing romper room are getting rather flimsy, are they not?

In any case, I can't think of any adult worship service behavior more distracting than a screaming child -- except perhaps an adult who doesn't have enough sense to remove a screaming child.

Posted by hatless (# 3365) on :

quote:
There really is a difference, you know, between normal children's behavior -- which no one here has objected to -- and screaming like a Banshee. I don't care how much you would like to participate -- if your child is screeching at the top of his/her lungs, you cannot participate in anything.

There is a continuum from the contented to the distressed, and noise tends to be proportional. Parents try very hard to keep their child up the happy quiet end - not just for the hour in church but throughout those early years and in all sorts of places. It is unpleasant queueing up at the supermarket with a child who is hungry and bored and therefore noisy. You don't go out for posh meals with a small child in tow, but you might, on a day out at the zoo, say, risk a snack in the cafe, and if the child is tired and unhappy and cries loudly, it is upsetting all round.

You can't stay at home all the time, so you risk these situations and hope that you can keep at the good end of the continuum. You have successes and failures, times when everything stays sweet and soft and times when it all gets horrid and loud. You occasionally feel you actually belong to the human race again, but then there are spells where you are unable to do anything grown up and normal at all.

Church is one of the most difficult places to take a small child. In some ways it is like a concert (which you wouldn't dream of taking a child to). Most people try their best to amuse their children and hope that the inevitable disruption stays within acceptable limits. If it doesn't, most people will take their child out, if they know where to go.

The trouble is that what one person considers acceptable behaviour another will tut at, and what one considers an unhappy child, but maybe it'll calm down in a minute or two, another will describe as a brat screaming like a banshee.

These attitudes can be very difficult. It is deeply embarrassing to be the parent of a noisy child in church. If angry feelings are communicated to the parent they will probably avoid coming again.

Parents need to feel that others in the congregation are willing to tolerate a little disruption. To understand that people would prefer the distraction of them cuddling their child and pacing up and down at the back than to see them leave altogether. To feel that it is OK if they get it wrong sometimes and try to pacify a child who turns out to be at the start of a major bawl and has, in the end, to be taken out.

If the worst comes to the worst, a sermon can be stopped and started again. Rowan Williams has even suggested that there might be times when a congregation could be invited to listen to the sounds of an unhappy child as an expression of worship, carrying the distress of the people to God.

Here in Ilkley, one woman has come to church every Sunday for the last five months and not once succeeded in staying in to the end of the service, because of the demands of her young child. (Though it may also have something to do with the quality of the preaching.)

I have resolved that the notice sheet next Sunday should contain some words to reassure and relax people, and say that we will do all we can to accommodate children, support their parents, and cheerfully tolerate the small and occasional impositions made on us when things go wrong.

Not all seizures need a doctor (for some people having the doctor round every time they have a seizure would be 2-3 times a day...). A shipmate who may like to relate more details here was telling me about a member of her church who had regular seizures, usually I gather a certain amount of time after getting up i.e. usually during the service. All they need is to be able to be lain down quietly, but they are pretty disruptive while they last. And you can't take yourself out - and if they happen most days you're not ever going to be able to go to church.

You seem to be doing the I'M SINGING LOUDLY WITH MY FINGERS IN MY EARS SO I CAN'T HEAR YOU type of argument, to be honest, MtP. Sharkshooter has just told us he never went to church for FOUR years (which incidentally was a cross-post with mine and I was not going to say someone might have to miss church for more than one year because I thought it might not be believable!). Would you be happy doing that? Would you consider it "church" if someone gave you a tape of the service each week and said "there, you've been to church"?

Posted by Irvin D Yalom (# 2833) on :

quote:

Swiftian.

quote:
So, the Riv, what would you endorse where the parent is at church on their own, and there is nowhere else to take the child, or some other reason why the parent cannot take the child out?

And why is is worse to have a disruptive child than a disruptive adult? An adult who is having a loud seizure is no more or less in control of their disruptiveness than a parent who has tried everything is necessarily in control of their offspring.

Well shucks, chukovsky, Erin beat me to you. Are there that many one-room 'meeting houses' still in use? No foyers? No hallways? No loos? I just fail to believe that there are all that many facilities without facilities, even of the most makeshift kind. I mean, you don't have to concoct some ken-esque hypothesis to make a point. In the case that there are only four walls, a door on either end and a few windows to let in light under the roof,
and the adults are ritually stapled to their seats, I suppose that I, like the rest of the congregation, would be happily resigned to my church's reality, and endure.

To your second notion: Personally, I would consider a siezure a medical situation that would require immediate, corporate attention, including a pause in the service, as a heart attack, stroke, feinting spell, or accident (falling down steps) would until proper aid was administered. (I have witnessed all of these during worship.)

Single parent? I'd offer my assistnace as I've said and done before. But don't refuse and be indignant of the suggestion that the disruption (uncontrollable screaming baby, specifically) was beyond reasonable tolerance.

I'm not even talking about foyers or halls. I'm talking about inside/outside. I have never been in a church where there was no door to the exterior of the building, where parents with their screaming kids were trapped inside it against their will. If your child is shrieking, get up off your butt and take the kid outside.

It's not rocket science, for fuck's sake. I mean, I'm one of the clueless ones who doesn't have a kid and even I could figure that one out. It's kinda frightening that those of you who haven't are actually raising children.

No, chukovsky, I've said repeatedly churches should accomodate both those with small children and those who don't want to endure their prolonged outbursts.

I've also expressed sympathy for those with small children. (And I've read the difficulties of having small children with sympathy, believe me.) Maybe you need to take the fingers out of your ears.

Hatless:

I appreciate your post, but offer this: You said:
quote:
The trouble is that what one person considers acceptable behaviour another will tut at, and what one considers an unhappy child, but maybe it'll calm down in a minute or two, another will describe as a brat screaming like a banshee.
Again, my OP mentioned common decency. I would hope that one would pause with the onset of a child's crying spasm and allow the parent time to try the many tricks of the trade in mid-service progeny calming. But, it's not unrealistic to assert that after a couple of minutes of incessant bawling that a parent ought to excuse him/herself w/kid in tow. We could go on splitting hairs all day re: one person's party as another's purgatory. C'mon, two or three minutes of nonstop crying is enough for anyone, including the child.

Of course, I could be wrong, but it seems to me that if a couple stays away from church for four solid years, there's something going on more than just a fussy kid. There are always options:

1) As The Riv said, have one parent step out to comfort the child while the other stays in the pew. We're not talking about a little fussing or fidgeting here. We're talking banshee level, which isn't a 24/7 occurence even for the most colicky baby.

2) Switch to a church that has a reliable nursery.

3) Switch to a church that has a baby room with piped-in sound.

4) Dad stays home with the kid while Mom goes to church. Switch places next week.

5) Team up with other parents of kids the same age. Alternate by week who goes to church and who tends the lot.

6) Team up with parents of kids the same age. Go to the 9:00 service while they look after your kids. Look after their kids while they go to the 11:00.

7) If finances allow, hire a babysitter.

8) If finances don't allow, go to the church leadership, explain the sitution, and see if a kindly soul will sit with the kids once a month or so as an act of service.

9) While the kid is still young, stick to family-type services where this kind of thing is more easily handled.

No one is attempting to excommunicate parents or children here. All that is being asked is for a little common courtesy. If your cell phone rings because you forgot to deactivate it before a service, you immediately turn it off. You don't let it ring ten times and then answer it and carry on a conversation to the distraction of those around you.

Agrees (again) with The Riv and Presleyterian.

Accomodation not "excommunication" is the solution.

quote:

But, it's not unrealistic to assert that after a couple of minutes of incessant bawling that a parent ought to excuse him/herself w/kid in tow. We could go on splitting hairs all day re: one person's party as another's purgatory. C'mon, two or three minutes of nonstop crying is enough for anyone, including the child.

No, it's not unrealistic, and I do agree. Two or three minutes of nonstop crying is more than enough (though it may well be far from enough for the child.)

The problem is the attitudes. When people express annoyance strongly, then parents will be unsure that even a few seconds' noise, or a single minute's moderate whining is acceptable.

You talked of:
quote:

a couple of minutes of incessant bawling

If a couple of minutes is incessant in your book, and if I as a parent hear you express this view I will be put off bringing my child anywhere near you. I will think you have a very low tolerance and I will expect your disapproval as soon as my child becomes audible.

In order for people with children to feel welcome, they need to be told that their child and the noise it may make is our problem, everyone's problem. The welcome must be inclusive of parent and child and the practical problem of a child in a place of worship.

Presleyterian: [Not worthy!]

hatless said:
quote:
If a couple of minutes is incessant in your book, and if I as a parent hear you express this view I will be put off bringing my child anywhere near you. I will think you have a very low tolerance and I will expect your disapproval as soon as my child becomes audible.
You make the mistake of anticipating some kind of wrath from the likes of me. I'm already on record for 1. Offering assistance in said situations, and 2. Disapproving of meanness of any kind toward parents in this particular bind. I don't disapprove of children crying. But two to three minutes is enough, IMHO. I used incessant b/c as a parent, I can usually tell when it's going to take a bit for my kid to cry it out. Sometimes kids cry harder b/c THEY'RE CRYING. Change to relentless if it helps you understand. No visible disapproval from me, but internal aggravation? Yes, and it will certainly remain non esspressivo. If I reach out to offer help, it will be (are you listening Sharkshooter?) in love, friendliness, and consideration of the child, parent, and congregation.

If you need a sitter for Friday I may be available...

Oh yeah, Presleyterian? [Not worthy!]

And just to cover my bases, hey Erin? [Love] Uh, wait, this is Hell: [Smile]

I hate to be childish, but

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
WHAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WHAAAAAAWHAAAAAAAAAAA WAWAWAWAWA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely we agree that this is annoying and disruptive, and if, as an adult, I have some power to stop it or stop it from happening in the context of this thread, where it will detract in a meaningless way from the discussion at hand, I should do so.

And for those who have suggested praying for strength and tolerance when people who have the power to do something about whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa don't, believe me, I beat you to it.

[You broke the scroll lock with your screaming. Get out. Now.]

[ 18. December 2002, 20:32: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

Fair enough, Riv. And Qestia, [Killing me]

I still say, though, that we haven't become properly inclusive of people until we have 'adopted' their limitations and sensitivities as our own. Crying babies are a problem, but whose problem? Who should find the solution?

Posted by Nell (# 3380) on :

Hmm - lots of interesting views on this thread. Perhaps some of you can help me sort out my confused feelings re kiddies in my church. Screaming babies seem to bug me less than toddlers and young children.
In our services we usually send the kids of all ages out for most of the service, to their various fun activity groups. They are allowed back in for the last 10-15 mins.Such a short time, and yet I do get profoundly distracted and irritated by a few 'antics'
e.g
running up and down the aisles
crawling under the chairs
giggling
playing with noisy toys
fighting with each other [Eek!]
(older kids) texting each other on mobiles [Mad]

Now what I don't understand in why, with all this going on, there are still quite a few kids who are able to sit quietly with their parents for 10 minutes! Is this really so long to sit quietly??? Knowing the problems I have with some teenagers at school sitting in seats for an hour, I wonder if children need to be trained from a young age to do this.

So - am I an unreasonable grumpy young fogey, or is it just that I can't get out of 'teacher mode'. I do seem to have developed an irrational dislike of baseball caps worn in church [Disappointed] , (in spite of my own determination as a teen to wear what I liked to church!)

The scary thing is that I'm thinking of having kids myself soon - am I too intolerant?! I'm worried about becoming one of the 'my child will be well behaved' brigade, and then having to eat my words!

quote:
Originally posted by multipara:
nicolemrw, you ask why busyknitter's non-churchgoing partner cannot babysit. It may be that he WILL NOT oblige for church. Seadog has made a similar comment in an earlier post and in my past experince the atheistical Sponsa Amabilis flatly refused to mind an unweaned, untoilet-trained infant while I went off to what he descibed as "your Popish fripperies".

Thank you Multipara for making this point and thereby preventing me from starting a long, ranting post of my own. Suffice to say you lot on the ship are the closest I get to a church, and I know that if half of you could hear my kids I wouldn't be welcome here either. Bummer [Roll Eyes] .

quote:
Originally posted by Nell:
Now what I don't understand in why, with all this going on, there are still quite a few kids who are able to sit quietly with their parents for 10 minutes!

We don't know the answer for certain. It could be the fidget gene, it could be television and soda pop. It's probably our expecations, which should be high.

No one is talking about not "welcoming" parents with young children. I think that point's been made and iterated and reiterated. All that is being asked is that on the rare occasion that a baby engages in an extended yowlfest that prevents others from hearing the sermon or listening to the music, could the parent please step out of the sanctuary for a moment until the child has simmered down. That doesn't strike me as being unwelcoming; that strikes me as common courtesy.

And hatless, re your question:
quote:
Crying babies are a problem, but whose problem? Who should find the solution?
Isn't the logical choice the person responsible for the crying baby?

P.S. to Seadog: Perhaps more than anyone else, a person married to an unbelieving spouse needs to be in church for the sake of his or her own sanity. Those are exactly the kind of extentuating circumstances in which I think many, many churchgoers would be eager to lend a hand.

quote:
Originally posted by seadog:
quote:
nicolemrw, you ask why busyknitter's non-churchgoing partner cannot babysit. It may be that he WILL NOT oblige for church. Seadog has made a similar comment in an earlier post and in my past experince the atheistical Sponsa Amabilis flatly refused to mind an unweaned, untoilet-trained infant while I went off to what he descibed as "your Popish fripperies".

Thank you Multipara for making this point and thereby preventing me from starting a long, ranting post of my own. Suffice to say you lot on the ship are the closest I get to a church, and I know that if half of you could hear my kids I wouldn't be welcome here either. Bummer [Roll Eyes] .
I have to say that any husband of mine who refused to watch HIS OWN CHILD, the FRUIT OF HIS LOINS for an hour while I went to church would find his sorry ass out on the street, face down in the pavement, with my bootprint on his back, in a New York minute.

And yes, I was married to a strong atheist, and yes, we did actually have his offspring living with us, so I have some knowledge of where I speak. That mofo would have been history the very first time he opened his mouth and that complete bullshit spewed out.

Posted by Aardvark (# 2295) on :

There is a simple solution to all this: find a church which has an evening service. Most of the screamers will be in bed, or very nearly by 7 pm and you can enjoy a tranquil, adult only environment. I am resigned to attending the noisy morning service with my children, but I sometimes go along to the evening one on my own and the quieter more reflective worship is a rare treat.

quote:
I'm not even talking about foyers or halls. I'm talking about inside/outside. I have never been in a church where there was no door to the exterior of the building, where parents with their screaming kids were trapped inside it against their will. If your child is shrieking, get up off your butt and take the kid outside.

It's not rocket science, for fuck's sake. I mean, I'm one of the clueless ones who doesn't have a kid and even I could figure that one out. It's kinda frightening that those of you who haven't are actually raising children.

You live in Florida, where I believe it is usually warm. I live in England where it is not. The church we used to attend had no rooms attached at all, just the church itself. Not even a toilet. It was inside in the warm(ish) church, or outside in the cold.( And yes, I did used to go outside and go home.)

Oh, and stop throwing tantrums, sweetie, or I'll ask your Mummy to take you out.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

I wonder how much this has changed over the years. Certainly in the CofE it used to be quite normal for people to take out young children for the sermon - there was no creche (in fact no concession for small children was made at all) so mums and dads would be seen walking up and down outside and then coming back in during the last hymn.

However, now churches go out of their way to welcome those with young children in - there are toys and play corners; the mothers' union often provide a creche with toy bags and books. So people expect to keep their children in church with them, to the extent of not taking them out at all even when they cry. Churches are much more aware of not putting people off now that the numbers are dropping, especially of young families.

I think a lot of it must depend on general tolerance levels. For example, I have noticed my level is quite low and I would take my children out often to avoid disturbing people. But I also went to cafes and did the same there and on holiday was always worrying that my children might be disturbing others. In these places were also families who had a much higher tolerance level than me and would let their children make lots of noise, not seeming worried by it at all. (Particularly annoying on a camping holiday!)

I actually changed my church because the CofE service with no creche was not suitable for a colicy baby with a very loud cry. This was only a temporary move - the boys now sing in the choir and make a noise in (mostly!) the right places.....

quote:

And hatless, re your question:
quote:
Crying babies are a problem, but whose problem? Who should find the solution?
Isn't the logical choice the person responsible for the crying baby?

Whether or not it's logical depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to be spared having to make any effort yourself then, yes, it's the logical choice.

Consider, though, whose problem it is, and who might try to find a solution, if there are people who want to come to your church who are deaf, or hearing-impaired. What about people who cannot climb all those stone steps up to the front door? Or what about someone who uses a wheelchair and can't sit in one of the wooden pews which are the only form of seating and occupy all the suitable space? Or the person with failing eyesight who can't read the screen?

Posted by The Rogue (# 2275) on :

Right, my turn now.

I am a parent of two (soon three) children. I wanted to be a parent and knew that there would be many difficulties but went ahead anyway.

As a parent I have to organise everything with the little darlings in mind - they dominate my life. So when I am completely knackered and just want a few minutes peace I may or may not get it.

If the cherubs cause any problems they are my responsibility to sort out - whether it is causing a disturbance or throwing up on a nice carpet or stealing a car and driving it through a bus stop queue.

I accept all this and the church (at baptism) promised to support and encourage me in these responsibilities.

That does not mean I can do whatever I want and "sod the rest of you". If my child is causing problems for someone else then I have to sort it. The best way of doing this is usually to take him/her away from the situation - ie get up and walk out of the service. To help this I sit near an exit and if I have to go outside in the cold or rain then I wear warm and/or waterproof clothes.

The church has some responsibility for me and my children and my last one fulfilled that magnificently by clearing the pews out of an area at the back (and near the door), putting down a carpet and getting in loads of toys and books. I was still part of the service; my children would not distract anyone unduly by their normal play etc; they did not see church as a place where they are scared into boredom and silence; during the peace there was quite a procession of people coming to the back to share God's love with us; anyone who was put off by their presence could get away from it by sitting at the front.

However if they do cry for more than a few moments I take them out. If they fill their nappies I go out of the service to change them. If they want a few moments of my time I give it to them. This makes for interruptions to my participation in the service but then as a parent everything is interrupted and I knew that would be the case before I started.

The idea that I must keep a crying child in the service because another child is doing something is bollocks. My other child will understand if this happens and will always be delighted to perform for me at home later. I guess I am bringing my children up to be reasonably well adjusted.

Posted by Authur Dent (# 3807) on :

I'm a lecture at my church and too often I have to compete with children sreaming. Do I frown and get all spiteful? No. I don't mind it.

Once I was in the back before the mass started, and this young mother had three children with her. I assume she was by herself with the children cause I didn't see any other adult accompanying her. So anyway, her children were all under five years old. One of them starts crying. I don't expect her to abandon the other two children just so she can pacify the one crying.

A few minutes later, a spiteful old lady scolded the young mother. I found this hypocrytical because during the mass, i see the old lady talking to her friend while the homily was going on.

I saw the young mother leave with all her children and never come back.

Now, while I'm reading... the only thing that bugs me is late comers who chose to sit down in the middle of the reading.. and ringing cell phones.

Often people find seats when I'm about to read so i wait for them to sit down. and I WATCH THEM. and then i start when they finally sit down. I do it for shits and giggles.

Also, if when I'm reading a cell phone happens to start ringing.. I roll my eyes and stare at the person. AGain, for shits and giggles. Being a lector and up there and people watching me .. i like to use that (authority?) to make people nervous.

which reminds me, I get to go home for xmas and im a lector at the midnight mass. (meaning lots of people)

hatless wrote:
quote:
Consider, though, whose problem it is, and who might try to find a solution, if there are people who want to come to your church who are deaf, or hearing-impaired. What about people who cannot climb all those stone steps up to the front door? Or what about someone who uses a wheelchair and can't sit in one of the wooden pews which are the only form of seating and occupy all the suitable space? Or the person with failing eyesight who can't read the screen?
Glad you mentioned it, hatless, because I'm one of the people you just described. So what may be a rapier-like debating parry to you is quite the everyday event for me.

If someone has made a special effort to make things easier, then yes, I'm greatly appreciative. But I don't go in with the attitude of entitlement. I don't expect the 499 to be subjected to annoyance or inconvenience on my account.

I would also draw a distinction between medical conditions and parenthood for the same reason that my insurance policy pays for heart transplants, but not face lifts. Deaf people, for example, don't voluntarily choose to undertake the difficulties that accompany failing hearing. Parents do voluntarily choose to take on the full responsibility for their children.

And all I'm asking -- to say it for the 76th time -- is that on the rare occasion when a child's normal fussing turns into rafter-shaking wails, please take the child out for a few moments and then hurry back in to join the congregation once you've been able to rule out that he or she is in dire need. Unless you're worshipping in Moth's architectural anomaly of a church, of course -- to which I'll gladly contribute a tenner toward building a bathroom.

quote:
Originally posted by hatless:

And in what universe does this have anything to do with the discussion of screaming children in church?

[ 19. December 2002, 02:10: Message edited by: Erin ]

and how do blind, deaf, or wheelchair-bound people disrupt the service for anyone else anyway? [Confused]

Rogue, [Not worthy!]

May God bless you and your kids.

(He already has blessed your kids by giving them a parent with sacrificial love and some common sense to boot.)

Well there you go, Erin.

In fairness to seadog I should add that babies do grow up and turn into heathens then one can start enjoying unaccompanied church again.

I should also add that I quite enjoyed stirring up dear old Sponsa by marching off to Mass with one, two and finally three of the little blighters in tow-in the end he was worn down by my recalcitrant papistry, saw the funny side of it and stopped whingeing.

tangent- BTW in my book there are only 2 grounds for booting the old man onto the street and they are physical cruelty and public adultery. Otherwise it's for better or for worse-end of tangent. Horses for courses, say I.

cheers,

m

Posted by Cusanus (# 692) on :

quote:
public adultery
He's got to do it in the street ?
That's setting the bar pretty bloody high isn't it? [Snigger]

[Killing me]

oh shit I needed that laugh

quote:
If someone has made a special effort to make things easier, then yes, I'm greatly appreciative. But I don't go in with the attitude of entitlement.

Presleyterian, I thought we had agreed. My children have always been taken out if they start to cry wholeheartedly and, though I know others have different thresholds so I try to be patient, I basically expect others to do the same. However, that's not quite the same as asking them to do this, or putting pressure on them. That says the solution is down to them.

In contrast, all true communities try to see the problems of any one as the problems of the whole. We do our best to accommodate and enable and include. It's not an entitlement, but it's a gift that I want the Body of Christ to make whenever reasonably possible.

quote:
Erin asked:
And in what universe does this have anything to do with the discussion of screaming children in church?

It's an issue of inclusiveness, so any universe in which 'inclusiveness' can apply to more than one thing, any universe where comparisons or examples are possible.

quote:
and nicole asked:
and how do blind, deaf, or wheelchair-bound people disrupt the service for anyone else anyway?

They don't disrupt the service for someone sitting quietly in their pew taking no notice of anyone else, but their disabilities do disrupt the wholeness of the church for anyone who cares for the 'weaker member.'

Seeing as this is Hell, I will ask why it is that Americans are so sensitively tribal that they take criticism of their mustard recipes to heart, yet are so atomistically individualistic that they haven't a clue what belonging to a community is all about?

Posted by A name I call myself (# 2343) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
I took my daughter to church, on my own, from the age of 1 week old, because that's where I wanted her to be. Church is the place for small children, just as it is the place for all of us.

You had a daughter when you were one week old?!! [Eek!]

Me x

To go back to the issue of 'what if there's nowhere to go'... It's not all that uncommon for old C of E churches to have no extra rooms etc - none of the 4 churches in our 3 parishes, and in fact 9 of the other 10 churches in the team have no other rooms to go to. Even the vestry is no help, as in our churches it's not a 'proper' room, but a side area curtained off. There really is nowhere else indoors to go. So we take B outside. It really is that simple. If the weather's really foul, I try to lurk in the porch, but heck, if she's screaming that loud, then yes, I have ended up walking her around outside in the cold & rain in order not to disturb everyone else more than necessary.

quote:
Originally posted by Beethoven:
To go back to the issue of 'what if there's nowhere to go'... It's not all that uncommon for old C of E churches to have no extra rooms etc - none of the 4 churches in our 3 parishes, and in fact 9 of the other 10 churches in the team have no other rooms to go to. Even the vestry is no help, as in our churches it's not a 'proper' room, but a side area curtained off. There really is nowhere else indoors to go. So we take B outside. It really is that simple. If the weather's really foul, I try to lurk in the porch, but heck, if she's screaming that loud, then yes, I have ended up walking her around outside in the cold & rain in order not to disturb everyone else more than necessary.

Thanks Beets, I was beginning to think I was mad in thinking that many churches don't have extra rooms.

Look, I know this is Hell, so I shouldn't be doing this, but I think we're more agreed than it appears. Most parents do take their kids out if they start to scream - I certainly did. However, if they don't, there may be some reason for it which is not immediately apparent to an onlooker.

As a general point, don't judge the quality of the parenting by the behaviour of the child - if I'd been judged on my first child's behaviour, I'd come over as a paragon of parental virtues, if on the second child's behaviour, as a total failure! I must add, by the way, that they're much older now, and though still very different in character, neither of them is anything other than very well-behaved indeed in church. Even better, they both enjoy it, and take part in many church-related activities.

It's very odd that I'm clearly coming over as a "let 'em scream" advocate - I spend half my time in supermarkets telling other parents to put their children in the trolley, rather than let them run about. I have, in general, a very low tolerance of bad behaviour in public by children! I suppose, like some others I feel 'at home' in church, rather than 'in public', and in my present church there's never been a problem - there were lots of babies at the time my screamer was born, and people were very supportive. If I disappeared outside for too long, one of the 'grannies' in the congregation would often pop out to see how I was doing, and the known 'baby-wranglers' in the congregation would often hold him after the service so we poor parents could drink our coffee in peace!

One thing that a lot of the "take them away, take them far away" advocates are assuming is that the people with the babies are so deeply committed to coming to church that they will find another church (one 10 miles away on public transport but hey, it's got a crêche that's wired for sound), that they will come back again if tutted at, and that they will debate with non-churchgoing spouse about looking after the baby on Sunday.

Heaven forbid that anyone should turn up to church who is not 100% sure about the whole enterprise. Better that they never darken the door of church.

quote:
Originally posted by Moth:
If I disappeared outside for too long, one of the 'grannies' in the congregation would often pop out to see how I was doing, and the known 'baby-wranglers' in the congregation would often hold him after the service so we poor parents could drink our coffee in peace!

We've never yet had a congregational granny pop out to see us (as far as I know!), but oh yes, the wonderful baby wranglers (love the phrase!) [Not worthy!] Those few minutes after the service in which our arms got a few minutes' rest, and the would-be grannies got to indulge their grand-maternal (is there such a word? [Confused] ) instincts - wonderful! And of course, it's now that we're really reaping the benefit. B is so comfortable with several of them that they can look after her in services while Mr B is preaching, or whatever - even though last time that meant the baby-wrangler concerned had to miss the sermon... [Two face]

Posted by Mrs Tubbs (# 440) on :

Hatless wrote:

quote:
Seeing as this is Hell, I will ask why it is that Americans are so sensitively tribal that they take criticism of their mustard recipes to heart, yet are so atomistically individualistic that they haven't a clue what belonging to a community is all about?

I'm sorry, but where did that come from? [Confused]

None of the posters on this thread – British or American – has said that church isn’t the place for children. Or that they aren’t welcome in church. Everyone has said that “normal” child behaviour – giggling in the wrong place; running up and down; crying for a bit – is okay and something that you expect to see in a church family. The kind of behaviour that is easily dealt with by a “look”.

The only thing that has been suggested is that sometimes, if a child will not stop crying (or misbehaving) then they should be taken out of the service by either a parent or a trusted adult. And once the child has calmed down, both can return to the service. And I would guess that trying to calm a child down can be a lot easier away from the service and a large number of people than in the midst of it. And the reason for this suggestion – so the rest of that community can continue to worship without being distracted.

Everyone has said that part of the churches ministry to parents is to provide things to help “doing church” easier – children’s and young people’s teaching; a crying room; additional services in the evening that parents can take it in turns to attend; a baby sitting rota; toys in the pews; love and acceptance for those times when a child just won’t behave etc.

I really don’t see the problem …

Tubbs

Chukovsky said:

quote:
One thing that a lot of the "take them away, take them far away" advocates...
In general, what I've read in this thread from those who prefer that screaming children be removed from worship spaces is that if/when the child calms down, both parent and baby should return. I think that 'far away' is a bit severe. Out of earshot? Preferrably, but at least 'away' to the point where the service is once again the obvious and dominant focal point.

hatless: Don't derail this thread with sorry, unfounded, ridiculously ignorant and, I might add, frightenly overgeneralized (at least for the intellignent) anti-American hash. It's cheap, base, and beneath you. Argue your point and save your sanctimony for the next great Pond War.

quote:
hatless: Don't derail this thread with sorry, unfounded, ridiculously ignorant and, I might add, frightenly overgeneralized (at least for the intellignent) anti-American hash. It's cheap, base, and beneath you. Argue your point and save your sanctimony for the next great Pond War.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of frightening overgeneralisation every now and then. But you're right, that's what it was. [Big Grin]

Posted by Newman's Own (# 420) on :

I am childless, of course, but have noticed quite a difficult situation in the "bring biscuits" approach. Though I have served in parishes where there were kids everywhere, and certainly no raised eyebrows at their being in church, the trouble with the 3-year-old who is munching a snack is that 5 other little ones, deprived of this solace, will begin wailing when they see the other eating.

My problem, and this for the child's sake, is with those who bring babies to lengthy services. I have seen babies who were two months old or less brought to Easter vigil and Christmas Midnight Mass. Of course they are fretful and uncomfortable! All the more if the mother is so afraid the child will get a chill that s/he's bundled up as if for an excursion to the top of Mount Everest, and the church is both heated and crowded.

I have no problem with parents walking (unobtrusively, perhaps in the back) with little ones, and think it a fine idea to have a creche, or at least a separate room where a parent may retire with a child who needs to be changed, fed, or comforted.

[Devil] Question for the ages: When I was a child, many people had much larger families than they do now, and it was usual to see the entire brood at Sunday services. Having a baby taken out was not unusual, but most kids a little older did not need to be entertained. What has happened to this generation? [Big Grin]

Posted by Mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Newman's Own:
Having a baby taken out was not unusual, but most kids a little older did not need to be entertained. What has happened to this generation? [Big Grin]

Nintendo.

Reader Alexis

quote:
My problem, and this for the child's sake, is with those who bring babies to lengthy services. I have seen babies who were two months old or less brought to Easter vigil and Christmas Midnight Mass. Of course they are fretful and uncomfortable!

Well, baby B has been to both, and will be attending Midnight Mass this year. The timing of these services means she slept straight through them last year. Hopefully she will this year, too, but it's likely to be much harder work for me if she's awake this time round than it would have been when she was just a couple of months!

quote:

[Devil] Question for the ages: When I was a child, many people had much larger families than they do now, and it was usual to see the entire brood at Sunday services. Having a baby taken out was not unusual, but most kids a little older did not need to be entertained. What has happened to this generation? [Big Grin]

Parents got paranoid about other people looking after their children?

Children got less used to other people in church looking after them?

You presumably are also referring to "broods" with two churchgoing parents...

If/when I have children I'm going to let them scream their little lungs out in church. In fact, I am going to poke them so they scream more. You all need not come to my church though.

Posted by Garden Hermit (# 109) on :

I make a point of not going to Pram Services.

Sometimes we have children just wandering around services not making any noise but with an air of inquisitive innocence.

Very occassionally the preacher will stop and smile at them. Almost God-like I feel.

Then again recently a beautiful butterfly decided to come out of the flowers on the Communion table and fly around the Church during the service, making everyone focus on it rather than what was being said.

A complete and total disruption to the service.

Ban Beautiful Butterflies as well I say.

(Why can't preachers stop what they are saying and incorporate the butterfly/children into their sermon ?)

Pax et Bonum

chukovsky said:

quote:
If/when I have children I'm going to let them scream their little lungs out in church. In fact, I am going to poke them so they scream more. You all need not come to my church though.
Charming. Those other contestants for Future Parent Of The Year don't have a snowball's chance... You would antagonize your own, innocent child for the intentional annoyance of those around you? Wow. That's an application of "the needs of the many (to learn your 'lesson,' chukovsky) outweigh the needs of the few" I hadn't considered. No doubt hatless would disapprove of your "atomistic individualism and ignorance of your community." I would say you'll earn every scowl and tut coming your way, then.

Garden Hermit: I heard a tale (was it abour Charles Spurgeon?) about a service from the days before air conditioning in which a song bird entered the open window of a church, perched on a rafter and sang for three minutes staight, and then abruptly flew back out of the sanctuary. The speaker approached the pulpit and said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, the sermon has been given," and then returned to his seat whereupon the service continued.

An aside on the question of small children and long services (and this may not be very applicable to small babies):

I have awful childhood memories of sitting through boorrrrrinnng (to me at the time, of course) services without anything to entertain me. (Yes, this was pre-nintendo.) They just about drove me crazy with boredom. Such experiences were one of the factors behind me acquiring a very negative attitude toward the church in general. When I did became a Christian, it was almost in spite of the church.

My point being is that if you bring a child into a service that is beyond his ability to enjoy or at least endure with contentment, please be sure he has something to entertain himself. If he likes a childrens' Bible, so much the better.

God forbid that we inadvertantly teach children that church is boring. It's been said it's a sin to bore a child in church. From expericence, I heartedly agree.

(This is a bit of an aside, but would surely help with noise issues with some smaller children as well.)

quote:
Originally posted by MarkthePunk:
God forbid that we inadvertantly teach children that church is boring.

Inadvertently? You mean it isn't supposed to be?
[Razz]

Not about crying children but loud aggressive adult behaviour.

Tonight is my school’s carol service at the local church. Every year the same salty fellow greets our guests at the door. I responded to his meths fuelled conversation once after I noticed a medal on his duffle coat. He charmingly turned the exchange into a racist 100 decibel rant. He patrols the aisle and sings loudly whilst conducting the congregation and lurching at young women. Luckily he is most vocal during the readings about seeing Christ incarnate in the needy.

Last year we gave him a tenner and asked him where he wanted to be driven to. He seemed quite happy to miss the second half of the service.

quote:
Originally posted by Hull Hound:
Tonight is my school’s carol service at the local church. Every year the same salty fellow greets our guests at the door. I responded to his meths fuelled conversation once after I noticed a medal on his duffle coat. He charmingly turned the exchange into a racist 100 decibel rant. He patrols the aisle and sings loudly whilst conducting the congregation and lurching at young women. Luckily he is most vocal during the readings about seeing Christ incarnate in the needy.

Last year we gave him a tenner and asked him where he wanted to be driven to. He seemed quite happy to miss the second half of the service.

We had a vicar like that, once.

quote:
In fairness to seadog I should add that babies do grow up and turn into heathens then one can start enjoying unaccompanied church again.

Indeed, and this bit I look forward to immensely, along with the few months between them being legally allowed to drive and legally allowed to drink in a British pub. I plan that they should take their driving tests early and spend 6 months ferrying me to and from the pub every night.

Erin - good on you [Not worthy!] . But with Mr Seadog flat on his face in the street every time I get a bit pissed off, bugger all will be achieved in this house. I prefer to try to focus more on his redeeming features, as I hope he does with me (otherwise we are in deep trouble...).

Posted by Mrs Tubbs (# 440) on :

quote:
Originally posted by seadog:
[<snip>
Erin - good on you [Not worthy!] . But with Mr Seadog flat on his face in the street every time I get a bit pissed off, bugger all will be achieved in this house. I prefer to try to focus more on his redeeming features, as I hope he does with me (otherwise we are in deep trouble...).

[Killing me]

Tubbs

hatless wrote:
quote:
Presleyterian, I thought we had agreed. My children have always been taken out if they start to cry wholeheartedly and, though I know others have different thresholds so I try to be patient, I basically expect others to do the same. However, that's not quite the same as asking them to do this, or putting pressure on them. That says the solution is down to them.
hatless, if the sermon gets boring, I like to place long, loud personal calls on my cell phone from the middle of the sanctuary. You -- and everyone else -- find that this disturbs your ability to concentrate on the servie. Based on what you've said, you wouldn't engage in such boorish behavior and you wish that I would follow your lead. But I don't. I just chatter a way.

Following your line of reasoning, I assume that you wouldn't dream of suggesting in a gracious tone that I might want to step out of the sanctuary if I need to place a call because you'd want to "accommodate and enable and include" my telephone habits and it would be very non-inclusive of you to do otherwise. Furthermore, it might damage our sense of community were you to suggest that the solution to the problem of my disruptive behavior "was down to [me]."

Mrs. Tubbs, The Riv, and others have spoken much sense on this thread. There will always be extentuating circumstances, such as Moth's one-room church in a blinding snowstorm or Chukovsky's interesting strategy of intentionally provoking her own child to cry in discomfort. It seems to me, however, that the truly selfless thing to do -- the thing that shows the most sensitivity to one's community -- is to put the needs of others ahead of one's own desires and step to the back for the one or two minutes that it might take to calm an upset child. That, from what you said, is the sensible and generous course of conduct that you undertake.

And in the spirit of catching more flies with honey and vinegar, I'm not suggesting that the parent of the crying baby be met with dirty looks or curse-laden harangues. Just last month, I saw an usher at my church handle the situation with much aplomb. She leaned over to the mother who was sitting in front of me and said something to the effect of, "Let's step outside and see what we can do to calm her down."

However, if people are so selfish that they aren't willing to subject themselves to that momentary inconvenience for the good of their fellow worshippers, I doubt they were ever much into the community thing in the first place.

That should have read "...in the spirit of catching more flies with honey than vinegar."

Or maybe I just inadvertantly came up with an American mustard recipe that will satisfy Timtim.

That's such a silly post, Presleyterian, that I don't see the point of me making my points yet again.

What precisely is the "silly" part, hatless? The sentence in which I described your course of conduct as "sensible and generous"?

Posted by Nightlamp (# 266) on :

I always thought community worked all ways the person with the screaming child should help build up community by seeing the need of the others to worship. Those without children should realise they don't know the whole situation so shouldn't judge harshly.

Posted by Arrietty (# 45) on :

I have no idea how anyone can worship while holding a screaming baby. Early parenthood is full of deprivation, you get used to missing at least half of most things you were looking forward to. It doesn't go on forever though it feels like it at the time. There is usually a pay off.

I hated people telling me 'we do have a creche' as I took that as shorthand for 'get the brat out of here', in general as my 'seeking' period coincided with my early parenting days I left them at home with my other half or sought child-friendly churches. When my OH started going to church as well we took it in turns.

People who can stay in church when their baby is screaming are either totally desensitised to the effect on others,(maybe because they were always lacking in empathy or maybe they have got depressed by the whole early parent thing) or so traumatised by day long screaming that they have become antisocial and don't care what effect it has on others.

I used to go to Quakers for an hour of silence and peace in the week when mine were very little, someone else's baby screaming through the hour would not have done much for my tolerance levels as I had gone to get away from all that. They did have a big commitment to children's work during the hour so those who did accompany their parents had their own version of worship.

Not sure what the solution is!

quote:
What precisely is the "silly" part, hatless? The sentence in which I described your course of conduct as "sensible and generous"?

The silly part is where you compare a parent struggling with an unhappy child with someone behaving deliberately obnoxiously with a mobile phone. These are not alike in any useful way. Nor is a mobile phone much like a baby.

The point you persist in misunderstanding is that parents of small children, being often fraught, overtired, embarrassed and only clinging on to engagement with the rest of the world by their fingernails need the Christlike welcome of the Church, not to hear themselves likened to the worst and most selfish of antisocial boors.

(53 word sentence, a personal record for this month)

I think Presleyterian is equating "having children" with "choosing to have children", and implies this is a choice for the individual.

This may become too tangential for this thread but can I point out the following:

Firstly, which I have already said, you may not have children yourself, but you live in a society and more particularly a church community, which contains children. You will reap the benefit of those children when you are older (unless you want to be old and grey and have no doctors). You therefore have taken a choice to live in community with them now, unless as I say you can find some way round relying on the labour of younger people when you are retired. You aren't relying on it as directly as their parents, but you aren't called to care for them, or live in community with them, as directly as their parents.

Secondly, some people on this thread have equated having children with "a choice to conceive those children". A very large proportion* of children are not planned, but are wanted. Unless you are going to say that no-one who doesn't want children should ever have sex, then you need to be realistic about the rate of failure of contraceptives - high - and say this is "a choice not to terminate the pregnancy". Which is basically what it boils down to. You may be happy with abortion as a method of contraception; although I am not totally opposed to abortion, I am not happy with its use in this way.

Next time you look at parents not coping with their children, don't think "well they decided to conceive children"; rather think, "well they got unlucky in the contraceptive roulette, and decided to carry on with the pregnancy".

*this link suggests that for one US state, 40% of births are unintended, and 53% of these are due to contraceptive failure

I don't think your remarks are at all tangential, chukovsky. I would like to add that as well as conception and having children being something that happens to people, it is also something that we do. We reproduce, we raise the next generation, we educate and train, nurture and value our infants, children and youth.

I believe that thinking in terms of we rather than I is a habit we need to rediscover. That's why I was asking those questions about whose problem the crying child is.

Of course, there are many things we wish to do that cannot accommodate children's presence - like going to the theatre or running a marathon. The problem the Church has is that its main act of worship often includes activities that are not easily compatible with the presence of children. Everyone should be able to participate in the main act of worship, but it includes a sermon and quiet prayers that require a high order of behaviour. This tension is a problem, we all recognise that. The thing that seems crucial to me is that this problem must not just be dumped on the shoulders of parents. It is our problem.

chukovsky amused with:

quote:
You will reap the benefit of those children when you are older (unless you want to be old and grey and have no doctors).
Sharkshooter already said something like this in post #12, and it rang hollow then...

Then continued:

quote:
You therefore have taken a choice to live in community with them now, unless as I say you can find some way round relying on the labour of younger people when you are retired. You aren't relying on it as directly as their parents, but you aren't called to care for them, or live in community with them, as directly as their parents.
Secondly, some people on this thread have equated having children with "a choice to conceive those children". A very large proportion* of children are not planned, but are wanted. Unless you are going to say that no-one who doesn't want children should ever have sex, then you need to be realistic about the rate of failure of contraceptives - high - and say this is "a choice not to terminate the pregnancy". Which is basically what it boils down to. You may be happy with abortion as a method of contraception; although I am not totally opposed to abortion, I am not happy with its use in this way.
Next time you look at parents not coping with their children, don't think "well they decided to conceive children"; rather think, "well they got unlucky in the contraceptive roulette, and decided to carry on with the pregnancy".
*this link suggests that for one US state, 40% of births are unintended, and 53% of these are due to contraceptive failure

Here Chukovsky, *holds out a handful of straws*, stop grasping. You were right to think it would become to tangential, and you forgot to mention pathetic. There is no "Big Lie" about contraception failure, and even the "unplanned but wanted" children are a foregone possibility for practically every/anyone who slips between the sheets.

And this:

quote:
is asinine and/or convoluted at best. I do agree with you re: abortion as contraception, but it's so far afield from the topic of this thread that I can only drop it at that.

Arrietty, thanks for your post.

I've said it before, but it's worth repeating: parents of small children have my sympathy (most of them at least). I wonder how I could maintain what sanity I have during what I call the Baby Trip.

Frankly, this thread makes me even more hesitant about marriage. And I like kids! (after 2 or 3 yrs old at least [Razz] )

Markthe Punk said:
quote:
Arrietty, thanks for your post.
ditto.

Posted by Henry Troup (# 3722) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
...the student common room was often used as an unsupervised creche and playroom by some parents, who ... would send their offspring over to the common room, while they had a quiet two hours at home.

This is where a bit of creativity helps. If other people draft you into supervising their kids without your consent, then you have their consent in the same way to teach the children whatever anti-social mythology you can concoct on the spur of the moment. [Snigger]
(Thanks to Scott Adams and Dilbert for the idea.)
Something relatively harmless yet distinctive, like "coffee is really boiled goat manure" or "smoking causes pregnancy" or "Freemasons rule the Universe"

quote:
There is no "Big Lie" about contraception failure, and even the "unplanned but wanted" children are a foregone possibility for practically every/anyone who slips between the sheets.

I totally agree. So I take it that those who think "having children is a choice, you took it on voluntarily" actually mean "having children is a natural result of having sex, when you decided to have sex you took on the possibility voluntarily". So I also take it they are not going to have sex with a member of the opposite sex, because they think having children around is A Bad Thing, for them at least.

I could of course be preaching to the converted, and those on this thread who feel childlessness is their only option are gay or celibate. [Big Grin] In which case, good for them, because they are being consistent.

And precisely why does the idea that other people's children will look after you when you are old ring hollow? Who are you planning to have look after you when you are old, if not the child of your neighbour?

Probably because you utterly fail to acknowledge the accommodations the childless make so that their parents can look after them. I'm the one who goes on business trips, I'm the one who stays late and comes in early, I'm the one who works on the weekends, and I'm the one who takes on the time-consuming projects. Why? I don't have children and all of my co workers do, and their parents need to be home to take care of them.

So they're not making a huge sacrifice when the bill comes due.

chukovsky:

It rings hollow b/c the thrust of the thread is on parental consideration, or lack thereof, and not the issue of the child, whether planned, uplanned, wanted, resented, easy, or difficult. My issue is not with the child and the fact that he/she may cry, but with their moms and dads who behave poorly (by disregarding the worship of others) in the face of it.

OK then. Hell notwithstanding here's a serious question from someone who would like to get it right with loudly screaming youngsters and their parents. (I'm not talking about baptisms or one-off children's services where this is taken as de rigeur.)

If a child has just gone into a fit of hysterics, is clearly and loudly unhappy with their situation, but Mum and/or Dad remain rooted to the pew, is it right/wrong for a sidesman to discretely suggest that they might like to move to the creche area/family room to find something fun to entertain hysterical child.

Is it right/wrong to seek to alleviate the possible embarrassment of parents in this way, particularly if they are not aware of the facilities available and are staying in their seats because they don't know what else to do (is it right to move from one's seat after the starter's flag has gone up?).

Or should the sidesman/warden assume that the parent has made a completely calm and reasonable decision that this is the best place to be while their baby has its screaming fit, and steer well clear, in case s/he gives the impression that parent and child are not welcome?

Setting aside the nasty issue of the intolerant who give dirty looks to family folk (shame!), there are usually many folk in a congregation who would genuinelly like to reassure parents caught in the screaming baby situation, and help. So how do we know when it is right to help, and how to help best? Or if they should avoid offering assistance for fear of offending, or in case it isn't seen as assistance but interference?

From the above suggestions, I have to admit, even with the best intentions, I would be very confused about knowing how to help parents in this way. It's easy for special one-off services to point out before the beginning where all the facilities are and to tell people they should feel comfortable about getting up and going where they need to go, or to have a wander round at the back of the building or whatever; but it's not always preferable to preface every Sunday service with this.

Is it possible, in fact, that as individual parents, everyone has their own particular way of 'coping' and that regardless of the best efforts of congregations to include every kind of situation into their worship, we will always get it wrong, in somebody's sight? In other words, it would seem that the weight of responsibility for dealing with the 'problem' (and actually what a lovely problem to have, let's be honest!) really must lie with the legal guardian of the afflicted child; whether in responding to offers of 'help' from congregation members, or in taking the initiative themselves?

Anselmina, I think that a sidesman (if that's the right word - sidesperson??!) or some other church person of experience and capability should indeed offer help to the parent of a screaming child, for the sake of the parent, and of everyone else.

Someone who, like you, realises that this is a difficult situation, that hot-under-the-collar parents might take anything the wrong way, and that misunderstandings, like shit, just happen, is probably the best qualified of all to offer such help. In my opinion.

I would like to add, on a more optimistic note, that screaming children are pretty rare phenomena. Children are disruptive, and parents are forever trying to ameliorate their effect on worship, but it's usually mild stuff and the less starchy church can cope without noticing - most of the time. All anyone needs is a bit of slack. You know, those things Paul was so fond of: love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, kindness, gentleness - all that stuff. I recommend it.

Incidentally, I recently saw a bit of footage of a baptismal service in a Russian Orthodox Church. There were lots of babies, brought forwards one by one, unwrapped, and handed to the priest who lifted them high in the air, then dunked them three times in the water. The soundtrack to the film was muted as there was a voice over, but I would think it was pretty noisy in there. And the priest looked so cheerful!

The problem of announcing what child-friendly facilities there are every week can be partly relieved by writing it on the front of the notice sheet which is given to everyone as they enter church (assuming toddler hasn't immediately grabbed it and ripped it up!) Our sidesmen are also trained to welcome young families with information about the toy area and creche/Sunday School facilities.

Other approaches I have heard is the priest announcing (when it was obvious there were a lot of very young children present) 'please feel free to walk up and down or come in and out as you need' or even the cringe-making 'don't feel embarrassed if the baby makes a noise - it is their way of worshipping'!

Posted by Beenster (# 242) on :

To make this discussion a bit seasonal - maybe Herod had the right idea.

Or the Child Catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

That should sort the problem.

Posted by ptarmigan (# 138) on :

I've just received the following pertinent / humourous e-card from the Church Times. (Guess others have too).

Church Times ecard

{URL was incorrect.}

[ 21. December 2002, 12:14: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

quote:
the cringe-making 'don't feel embarrassed if the baby makes a noise - it is their way of worshipping'!
I, too, am cringing at that line. [Roll Eyes]

You beat me to it, Ptarmigan!

[warning: pre-caffeine tangent]

quote:
I have to say that any husband of mine who refused to watch HIS OWN CHILD, the FRUIT OF HIS LOINS for an hour while I went to church would find his sorry...
For some reason, I keep thinking of fruit of the loom underwear/briefs when I read this.

[/warning: pre-caffeine tangent]

Now, I am going off to get some java...

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 3631) on :

A number of years ago at my church there was a lot of muttering from those not blessed with progeny about the bad behavior of some of the children in the congo. These were not babies or toddlers but in the nine, ten year old range.

One Sunday our priest, who normally preaches from the chancel steps, mounted the pulpit for her sermon. We always know somebody is going to "get it" when she preaches from the pulpit.

She started in about parents needing to control their children, and the non-reproduced among us started exchanging satisfied smiles. However she soon turned to our failings, smugness, and general uncharitableness.

After chastising both the breeders and the non-breeders she wound up by saying "And I want all of you to just GET A GRIP!"

I've never forgotten it, and since then have saved my icy stares for adults who chatter through the closing voluntary.

I've also never forgotten a then childless friend of mine saying "When I have children I'll never allow them to behave like that." She now has two young ones and I delight in reminding her of this comment. The flip side is, I'm the older one's godparent & have had to remove him from the service on more than one occasion when his mother was otherwise occupied in the choir. I hate that fixed, embarrassed smile I wear as we skulk down the aisle and out the door to the narthex.

quote:
A number of years ago at my church there was a lot of muttering from those not blessed with progeny about the bad behavior of some of the children in the congo.
visions of a long line of children, dancing through the church in single file "la la la la la la- la la la la la la [Big Grin]

BK

Posted by Bagpuss (# 2925) on :

Not read all of the posts so apologies if I'm duplicating but

a) I got my kids baptised and take them to church because what's the point otherwise? I'm not a fan of let them decide their faith for themselves when they're older - how can they decide what they don't know about?

b) The biggest complainers about kids and babies in my experience are the old dears in the Mothers' Union (or should that be the great grandmas' union?)who talk all the way through communion but give you the evils if your child dares speak one wrod.

My response - a note very Christian one of **** off they are at a FAMILY service if they don't like it go to one of the 4 other services that are available that NO kids turn up to.

I was once serving on the altar and the aforemantioned members of the MU who knew my husband extremely well sat back moaning and watched my hubby juggle a 6 month old baby in one arm with a bottle he didn't want (I was feeding him myself) whilst trying to catch a rampant 2 year old who kept flying past him. The vicar was so p*d off with the situation he stopped the service and gave the OAPs a lecture. Hooray!

My new church on the contrary has a great crowd of oldies who are all super stars so it can be achieved!!!!!!

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

I understand that 'sleep-deprived parent/spouse of a non-cooperative non-Christian' types desperately need to be there.

I was the non-cooperative non-Christian for a while years. My husband hobbled faithfully off to services on crutches for months, with a hip-to-ankle cast after knee surgery, carrying Bibles and diaper bags and an infant and leading the toddler. No help from me.

His determination through that time was a factor in my becoming a Christian.

Also, I've felt and functioned like a single parent, when his work kept him away from many church assemblies for months at a time, later on with the next baby.

So, please believe my sympathy/empathy. Having said all that...

Any noise over a certain decibel-level needs to be hushed or removed or adapted for services. Cell phones and watch alarms turned off (oh, God, please make it so...)

The nursery needs to be made comforting and accomodating. It need not be soundproof or even totally enclosed. Ours has sound piped in, windows to the outside, and a half-door, so we can close the bottom and still be aware of the comings and goings in the front foyer.

The only noise problem we've not been faced with in my time there has been a handicapped person with really loud uncontrolled outbursts.

So far, all my handicapped brothers and sisters keep their uncontrolled outbursts quieter than the cell phones and babies. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
I understand that 'sleep-deprived parent/spouse of a non-cooperative non-Christian' types desperately need to be there.

Oh dear, when I'm sleep-deprived (though not in possession of a spouse cooperative or otherwise) I usually feel the last place I want to be is in church! I usually feel more desperately in need of my bed. Oh, Lord have mercy on me a sinner... and a damn lazy one at that! [Frown]

On a more serious note, it's been an education hearing parents' views on this thread - I know it's hell but 'hey, thanks for sharing guys!' ((((hugs))))

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

Something very nice once happened at a church I belonged to at the time.

A woman with an eight-year-old autistic son started coming. After a few months she told the rector she thought she should stop coming because of the noises and motions her son made. (AFAIK no one had complained, but the mother was afraid her son's behavior was OTT.) The rector had another idea.

The next Sunday at announcement time he went to the pew where the boy was sitting, took him in his arms, and carried him to the front of the church.

He spoke to the congregation, "This is Mike. He is autistic. He makes odd noises and movements. He can't adjust to us, so we have to adjust to him." It was a very moving moment.

The mother stopped worrying about the situation and was free to participate in the service from then on.

Moo

Posted by HoosierNan (# 91) on :

There's currently an essay on the home page here at Ship of Fools about wanting to ignore or deny all messiness in the world. Which I assume would include unhappy babies and clueless parents. Perhaps some of you would like to read it and think about it in terms of this thread. Others will not. Whatever.

Well, you know what they say about making assumptions...

Posted by Newman's Own (# 420) on :

Of course, there are some members of the set who cannot stand to hear a baby cry who have a far more universal aversion to any 'noise' or other distractions during worship. I have been to churches here and there where it was obvious that, were someone to drop dead during a service, the only concern of some members of the congregation was that his falling over spoilt their concentration.

I mention this only because, while I do think it is wise to have somewhere for parents to take babies who are fretful or need to be changed (and so forth), parents of little ones must know that they are not alone. The people who object to a baby's crying are the same sorts who bluntly ask someone who coughs to leave (notice that they do not care about the other person)... as one example.

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

This evening we had our Crib Service. Every family in town whose baby was christened at the church this year got an invitation, and last years' invitees returned, and the various babies in the congregation came, along with parents and grandparents, and the grandchildren of some of our older members. There were about eighty-five babies and toddlers in the church, not to mention the older children, and the adults. And--wonder of wonders--there was no screaming. One little lad (age 2) slammed the toybox lid in the kids' corner a few times, and then went for a walk up and down the aisles. My boss explained and lit the Advent wreath, and told the Christmas story , and the kids helped put the animals, the Holy Family, and the shepherds into the stable at the right moments. We sang three carols and prayed a couple of prayers. Various very cute things were done and said by the littlest ones. I can't explain why nobody screamed--we were prepared for all eventualities--but think it had something to do with a) the service being SHORT b) the parents being prepared to subsume their own worship to their childrens'. This is not generally possible on a Sunday morning, or at any service where the parents have themselves come to worship. c) the hour: babies had just been fed and changed, toddlers were filled with wonder at being out so late, and then amazed by the ancient, candlelit church. d) everyone feeling tolerant and relaxed.
These conditions cannot generally be reproduced at regular Sunday services.

© Ship of Fools 2016