Thread: Kerygmania: 'Late' Babies Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000264

Posted by babybear (# 34) on :

Over in Purg, I started a discussion about "the immaculate conception of John the Baptist" (it was something that my art history lecturer said). Thankfully the idea of JB having an IC was round defeated. [Yipee]

But this did get me to thinking about 'late' babies.

Luke 1 - John the Baptist was born to an elderly seemingly barren couple. He then went on to the described as the greatest prophet.

1 Samuel 1 - Hannah is being tormented by her husband's other wife, and she prays to the Lord. Hannah, who has been declared barren, becomes the mother of Samuel. Samuel is a great prophet and judge.

My question is : are there any children born to infertile couples who do NOT go on to do great things? Is it a 'badge of office'? A child born in old age becomes the 'star'?

Who else was conceived in an extrordinary manner, or who had a 'special' birth/childhood?

bb

[ 19. June 2003, 17:55: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posted by Robert Miller (# 1459) on :

quote:
Originally posted by babybear:

Who else was conceived in an extrordinary manner, or who had a 'special' birth/childhood?
bb

Hi Babybear,

Surprised you missed out Isaac there! Genesis 17, 21 and 22 [Disappointed]

Oh well, we're not all perfect [Yipee]

Robert

Posted by Ann (# 94) on :

And Joseph was born to Rachel after Leah and the two bond-maids had had ten of the sons of Jacob and his daughter first.

Posted by Dyfrig (# 15) on :

This does seem to be a common theme of "hero" types in the Bible - ought it to alert us to a convention, rather than a reality? The scriptures do often play on the idea of the barren woman being given a child as a sign of God's grace and activity.

Interestingly, the birth of Zaphod Beeblebrox was, according to reports, accompanied by collapsing starts, earthquakes, tidal waves and major insurance claims. However, it seems that the source of these reports was Beeblebrox himself.

Posted by Freddy (# 365) on :

I think that a "barren woman" represents Israel herself, waiting in vain for her Savior. Or in a larger sense, the world as a whole, waiting for the peace that has so long eluded it.

In fact, it is interesting that Jesus was not born to an old, barren woman. I guess the symbolic value of virginity trumped barrenness in this instance!

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

I did find myself sniggering on Sunday during the readings, at the thought of Isaac being born to a man of 100 and being seen as a joy. I should think if I was a hundred it would be totally exhausting more like!
I am sure that either the birth is symbolic or the age is symbolic. Old people meant wise people, didn't they? A good excuse for adding an extra 40 years or so on. After all, it happens now the other way around, with the culture of youth so prevalent.
Best wishes, Chorister (aged 21 [Wink] )

Posted by Holy-Stone (# 2900) on :

I don't get it. All this women happily dropping sprogs way past the menopause and men living for hundreds of years. What happened? After Jesus, did people start dying younger to be with him sooner or is it that they knew about some now lost diet that kept them sprightly back then? I think its something in the water.

My opinion is that although the ages were symbolic, the story is nevertheless true. It was important for the events to really happen to these people at the ages stated for symbolic reasons. So I think that they might really have been that old.

I'm not sure why some people supposedly lived so long in these stories. Partly I think that the longevity is miraculous. But I'm also aware that it is not uncommon for people in third world countries to live to a very old age. There were a number of people over 100 years old in my small West African village when I was a Peace Corps volunteer (or so they claimed). It seems that if you are hardy enough to survive childhood, and the incredibly high infant mortality rate, you can survive anything.

On the other hand, these biblical ages could be purely symbolic, and bear no relation to the actual ages of Abraham, Isaac or whoever.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

I think the story of the birth of Isaac is the only one where the mother is said to have been past menopause.

As far as the others are concerned, a woman is considered infertile if she has been married for years and failed to conceive.

This happens nowadays. I have a friend who was married at the age of twenty and very much wanted children. She didn't get pregnant, and the doctors told her she never would. She did get pregnant at the age of forty-one, and had a normal healthy child. Two years later she had another one.

I think this kind of thing happened in Bible times, but if the child did not turn out to be special, no one bothered to repeat the story.

Moo

Posted by andras (# 2065) on :

quote:
What some folklorists refer to as 'Tales of the Youngest Son' - basically stories of wonderful deeds carried out by the most insignificant family member - are common in many cultures, and I suspect that some of the Old Testament stories are of this kind.

In such stories, the birth doesn't have to be miraculous - David is the disregarded youngest child 'out watching the sheep' - and yet ends up as the (literal) giant-killer.

In other stories, the youngest son is buried in a pit in the ground by his jealous siblings (like Joseph of the colourful coat) and yet still goes on to do great things.

(There are 'youngest daughter' stories too - Cinderella is a well-known example; is there a Biblical parallel to stories of this kind, other than Rahab the Harlot, who isn't 'the youngest', just 'the baddest'?)

BUT I wouldn't take this as implying that the Biblical stories are untrue (even in a Police Court sense) - true tales become folk-stories precisely because they 'seem right' to the people who repeat them.

John

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

Yes, mystical symbolism doesn't have to be literally untrue. [Smile]

David
slowly-feeling-better orthodox guy

Posted by Mousethief (# 953) on :

Sometimes all it takes to conceive is adopting. I've known it happen to more than one couple.

Reader Alexis

Posted by daisymay (# 1480) on :

Hannah went on to have loads more children, and there is no record of them being in any way special......and who's to say she wasn't only a teenager when she was married? So she could have still been young when Sam. appeared.

Posted by Ann (# 94) on :

Just remembered Samson.

So, are we dealing with narrative causality here, or is this a way that God chooses to mark out people as being special, both mothers and babies?

bb

Posted by Buttons (# 2108) on :

I am not suggesting that all miracles can or should be explained in terms of modern science. IMHO God isn't bound by any limitations, and certainly not by our feeble understanding of what is possible. That said, there are various hormonal conditions which make conception difficult; which sometimes allow suffers to conceieve as they approach the menopause and the balance of hormones in the body changes. Could there perhaps have been some genetic tendancy towards this amongst families in the Old Testament?

Posted by Sarajane (# 1642) on :

There's a psychological aspect here too- a child who grows up among adults regarded as a 'miracle baby' and the apple of mum's eye in a very religious culture may be more likely to have the self-belief needed to do great things. They may have grown up with the idea that they are destined for something special- they'll certainly be more likely to have been a natural loner than the middle one of 5 kids brought up by a young and harrassed mother.

Food for thought

quote:
So, are we dealing with narrative causality here, or is this a way that God chooses to mark out people as being special, both mothers and babies?

I think this is just one of many metaphoric conventions that are common in the Bible. The barren mother waits in vain for the saving child, just as Israel, and the world as a whole, apparently waits in vain for peace, or its salvation. "Barren" is just another way of saying that life has become apparently fruitless and devoid of hope.

The idea is to encourage people not to give up even when their situation appears bleak.

The Bible is packed with stories in which the hopeless underdog succeeds.
1. The youngest often becomes the leader, as in Joseph and David
2. Victories are won by small and weak contingents, as with Gideon and Jonathan.
3. Abraham is promised that his descendents will be like the sand of the seashore, even though Sarah is barren.
4. Enslaved Israel is miraculously freed from mighty Egypt.
5. Elijah as the one prophet of Jehovah easily defeats the hundreds of prophets of Baal in the contest on Mt. Carmel.
6. Daniel is repeatedly saved in Babylon from the machinations of his enemies.
7. David defeats Goliath.
8. Humble and apparently powerless, Jesus saves the whole world.

I believe that all of these stories are true, and happened as stated. But they happened, and were recorded in the way that they were, to symbolize the miraculous nature of God's ability to save every person.

quote:
So, are we dealing with narrative causality here
This is Roundworld, bb, not Discworld; there's a marked shortage of narrativium round here [Wink]

John

quote:
Originally posted by andras:
This is Roundworld...

[Confused] [Paranoid] [Ultra confused]

Posted by Hastur the Unspeakable (# 2819) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
This is Roundworld...

[Confused] [Paranoid] [Ultra confused]
It's a Terry Pratchett reference. Don't worry about it. On the Discworld, narrative causality is governed by a substance called narrativium which certain individuals can manipulate

In two of this latest books, a pocket dimension is created where magic (and thus narrativium) can't enter. The universe in this dimension evolves into something very similar to our own

Blast! I have managed to de-rail this thread.

quote:
Sarajane wrote:
There's a psychological aspect here too- a child who grows up among adults regarded as a 'miracle baby' and the apple of mum's eye in a very religious culture may be more likely to have the self-belief needed to do great things.

I have been wondering about that too. It was actually sparked by watching the movie "Joseph". One of the songs is "Miracle Child".

Does it matter where our heros come from? Is it important that they are from a backwater, Saul, first king os Israel, from the smallest tribe, and the least family? Or does this re-inforce the idea of the first shall be last, and the last shall be first?

bb

quote:
Or does this re-inforce the idea of the first shall be last, and the last shall be first?

That is absolutely what it is about. Probably one of the primary themes in Scripture.

What can seem relatively unimportant in this world - religious love and faith - is EVERYTHING in the next. Those who put others first and themselves last become first. Those who give up their own lives for others, gain their life. Etc. etc. It is all about the re-orientation of priorities. [Angel] [Angel] [Angel]

quote:
That is absolutely what it is about. Probably one of the primary themes in Scripture.
We get back to Baby Bear's (or Pratchett's) narrative causality here, I suspect. No-one would think it worth remarking about if a hero came from a long line of heroes, or if he was was the obviously strong older brother, or if the beautiful older sister married the handsome prince - the very thing that makes the story into a story is the fact that our natural expectations of 'the way the world works' are subverted; of course, after a while we expect a story to work like that 'because that's how stories are'.

It's not purely a Biblical thing, though; King Arthur is the disregarded younger son (and foundling) who proves his worth by - in most versions of the story - getting a magical sword, either from the stone in which it's embedded or from the Lady of the Lake. The Anglo-Saxon hero Beowulf (whose name, incidentally, means exactly the same as Arthur (=Bear), and who also dies fighting a dragon by the sea-side (Mordred = Môr-draig = sea-dragon)) has a highly suspect lineage involving a cradle cast up on the sea-shore; and Moses is also found in a floating cradle by Pharoah's daughter. But then, if the hero were perfectly ordinary in every respect, he wouldn't be a hero!

John

quote:
It's not purely a Biblical thing, though;

Great observation. Maybe showing the universality of biblical thought.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sarajane:
There's a psychological aspect here too- a child who grows up among adults regarded as a 'miracle baby' and the apple of mum's eye in a very religious culture may be more likely to have the self-belief needed to do great things. They may have grown up with the idea that they are destined for something special- they'll certainly be more likely to have been a natural loner than the middle one of 5 kids brought up by a young and harrassed mother.

Food for thought

Such a child would not only have a strong self-belief, but also a strong sense that great things are expected of him. He would not feel free to take an ordinary job and marry the girl next door.

Moo

© Ship of Fools 2016