Thread: Hell: MasterTroll Theater Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000319

Posted by Scot (# 2095) on :

Most websites attract your garden-variety trolls, but the Ship seems to get a certain percentage of true high-end trolls. Any idiot can post something like "Americans are morons because they can't spell 'Theatre'," but it takes someone really special to ask "What is it about evangelicals that makes them apostate?"

What are your all-time favorite troll bait posts? Extra points if it's been seen here on the Ship.

Double extra points if you go post it somewhere. [Snigger]

{title changed}

[ 10. January 2004, 18:25: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

SCOT!!! Delete that last sentence immediately and go wash out your mouth with soap!!!!

Posted by JimT (# 142) on :

Because my father's a minister, I've always gotten a kick out of Gunner. My favorites were his asking for advice on how to get his teenage sons to sit through his sermons and asking anyone if there were any good books on how to preach. All in dyslexic English. He is certainly my favorite. In terms of actually teaching me something about lunatic Christians, EL18 and the Chick tracts were a real education. I can't believe I never ran across Chick before. It's exactly the kind of thing they would have handed out in my church.

As a related tangent, for screaming, flaming entertainment my vote goes to the jounalist who practically swallowed her tongue demanding apologies from Laura for tossing off Mad Medic's statistics on abortions leading to breast cancer. I have never seen anyone go so thermonuclearly ape-shit in my life for that long a period of time. She just nuked and nuked Laura and Erin with phrases like 'Stalinist repression' for a solid week. She lectured Laura on legal issues and Erin on proper site administration. Is there a worse way to pick your battles here? I snorted a lot of coffee through my nose reading those posts. God I wish I had saved them. I'd also like a full dossier on her family of origin.

Hey, how 'bout a Nightmare Board with threads like that and NickA on the Pope as Anti-Christ?

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Brojees' posts were rather fun, and in such peculiar English. He was either a 'real' eccentric or a very entertaining sock puppet.

Posted by kenwritez (# 3238) on :

I don't think Brojess was a troll, his posting style was such that it came across to me as from someone who was talking, not trolling. YMMV.

I find myself horribly fascinated with the super-troll Erin told us about, "Joanne," (sp?) (directly causing the enactment of many of the Ship's troll policies) in much the same way someone who sees flattened trailer houses on tv half-way wishes they could experience a tornado first-hand: "Was it really that bad? What was it like?"

Barring that, I think Alcuin takes the small round biscuit when he went postal on us after lecturing us with several sanctimonious posts on the superiority of his New Age outlook.

Posted by multipara (# 2918) on :

For my money, Ms Byronic( the shrieking London lawyer previously mentioned)and Paddy Leahy ran neck and neck. The horrid thing about those two were that they were dead-set nutters with big axes to grind rather than true trolls.And those were only the Roman subspecies....

Posted by multipara (# 2918) on :

Now was she a journo? Yes, JimT, quite right (hope the seraphic one ain't reading this!)

cheers all,

m

Brojees was real, I'm sure, and I take a large portion of the credit for running him off. If I'm not mistaken his last thread was on the subject of a study that claimed more people left 'conservative' churches for 'more liberal ones' rather than the reverse. In true Brojees fashion he dragged out his "could it be..." rhetoric. "Could it be, that as light as the yoke of Christ is, it is still too heavy for some?" It went downhill fast from there and he eventually quit talking. He posted a couple news items after that, but he was soon gone.

I think he tried really hard to move toward tolerance, but he just didn't have the maturity to spend time in the company of people who strongly disagreed with him, or who did not appreciate his dramatics. God I remember his introduction on a War thread where he posted stanza after stanza of youthful pacifist rhetoric and drew withering broadsides from Erin. Poor guy was expecting applause from legions of adoring Christian fans and instead he got a bunch of boos from people holding their noses.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

quote:
Originally posted by JimT:
As a related tangent, for screaming, flaming entertainment my vote goes to the jounalist who practically swallowed her tongue demanding apologies from Laura for tossing off Mad Medic's statistics on abortions leading to breast cancer. .... God I wish I had saved them.

You mean Ms Byronic on page 8 of the Anglicans/Abortion thread - look at that, it's still in Purgatory. Save it quick. Though there is some of the discussion with Erin on p9 of that thread, you might also like the hosts and abortion debate thread in Styx.

Crosspost. The reason why I remember her being a journalist was that before she knew that Laura was a lawyer, she got all high and mighty that as a journalist she should damn well know what libel was because she had been thoroughly briefed! I remember thinking, "Yeah, probably she got a briefing every day from her lawyer saying, 'Oh my God, you have got to tone that down or we are going to get sued for sure!'" She still didn't back off the lecturing on libel after she knew Laura was a lawyer. The killer was that the "libel" was Laura saying something like, "Nice try, but no dice. Looks like people on your side of the argument play as fast and loose with the facts as you say the other side does." Matt essentially said, "Yeah I was just slipping it in as a sidelight off the main topic" but Byronic went ballistic. Slander! Lies! Impugning the character of individuals who merely pass along *facts* in the public interest! Retract or I'll sue! Go ahead and ban me, you Stalinist repressors! Ack! Ark! Cough spit sputter.

It was great fun.

re: Brojees. I don't think he was a troll, just somewhat surprised at the nature of the Ship - he simply didn't fit in. There have been others who've had an equally interesting introduction to the Ship and have found a way to stay around and contribute, Brojees just couldn't manage it and decided to simply walk away.

Though I still can't forget that he called me biased. Me, biased? That drew Erins attention. The irony is that my position in the discussion (potential war in Iraq) was far closer to his than the people he was berating!

Posted by The Milkman of Human Kindness (# 7) on :

None of these can beat - gasp - blazepascal, the Troll That Would Not Go Away...

Posted by Professor Yaffle (# 525) on :

Blazepascal. Remind me, is he the one who kept logging on under a new ID and then posting the kind of anti-Palestinian rhetoric which would have warmed the heart of the late Meir Kahane?

My personal favourite was the chap who stoutly maintained that David Icke might have had a point about the New World Order, including the lizards. Although a dishonourable mention must go to Eleighteen. "Chick tracts get read". They do indeed, accompanied by a feeling of appalled fascination by anyone with an IQ above 60.

At the risk of sounding incredibly sucky, it is a testament to the work of the hosts and admins that this place is as sane as it is given a) the number of loonies in cyberspace and b) the tendency of said loonies to gravitate to certain issues and c) the fact that said loonies have way too much time on their hands.

Posted by Erin (# 2) on :

blazepascal has disqualified himself from this thread by virtue of having apologized to me and tomb for everything that happened in the past.

The troll to end all trolls was Joanne. No other troll has involved us in three board wars.

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

JimT,

I had forgotten the whole Ms. Byronic episode. Wow. I felt totally gobsmacked by the whole thing. Your characterisation of it gave me the best laugh I've had this weekend (though as the weekend started with the funeral of a dear friend, it really had only up to go).

Urk! Libel! Urk! Stalinism! Ack! Conspiracy! [Ultra confused]

And can I say that MtMM (not a troll, I hasten to add) had posts of what must be prize-winning length on that thread. Way to go, Matt!

Alcuin wasn't a troll, but he was well weird.

He was the guy who told us all that Hitler was about five levels more ascended than anyone here (and presumably had more hitpoints) among other things.

Posted by Tim V (# 830) on :

The Greatest Troll Ever is widely regarded as t his one. This particular one had a lifespan of over a year, attracted thousands of responses and even managed to get someone expelled from school.
It has to be said: if you want to plumb the depths of human ignorance, spite and anger then you can't do much better than USENET. Nothing else comes close.

Posted by Icarus Coot (# 220) on :

Actually, I think duchess' sig is one of the best innocent pieces of trollery around at the moment:
quote:
"Faith and religion are two different animals, but there are sincere people of faith involved in religion, just as there are insincere religious people who claim faith, but Christ dosent have space for a doctrine of hate. " - Priest SoF May 9, 2003
(You are my fave Calvinist babe, duchess honest, I just think you have bad taste in sigs)

I dunno the context, but when I read that, I read: "What I ('Priest') do is Faith, what you do is Religion. I will concede that even in the Anti-Christ's maze of Religion (which is anything that isn't My kind of religion in case you're wondering) there are some (misguided) people of Faith. Just as there are some insincere religious people who claim faith. Notice I've been hazy about the proportionate distribution? That's 'cos anyone in Your Religion without My kind of Faith is one of the insincere religious people who 'claim' faith. But I'm not actually going to come out and say that. Oh and. Christ doesn't have space for a doctrine of hate. Which doesn't diminish the fact that you are still wrong by the way."

Thankyou.
[Roll Eyes]

Posted by Nightlamp (# 266) on :

Ah there was the guy with all the numbers and the bunch of people from that wierd church who kept trying to rejoin.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

SOnds intriguing, Nightlamp. Who would that be?

(Tellme, oh Father, why is this board different from all other boards?)

Ok, I have been wanting to ask this question for a couple weeks, but was afraid it would start a whole big *THING*. One of the first posts I read on the boards ever ever ever was one titled "WELSH" on the Hell board. I seem to remember the author getting at least suspended over it. Does anyone know what I am talking about, and was it real trollery or an argument gone out of hand?

Mr Numbers was John D. Miller. One day he was starting threads I was replying and being rude and tomb was deleting them. It is odd to post a reply and for it to vanish into the Bermuda triangle.

[ 11. May 2003, 18:25: Message edited by: Nightlamp ]

Ahhhhh! I think I kind of remember that.

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

Oh, I well remember the Welsh/Welch thread, Kelly. [Devil] That was a continuation of something that began in MW, and involved Cosmo and Fiddleback.

Oh yes, the Welch Squelch! [Roll Eyes]

Then there was Shaitan, and there was also someone who insisted in posting with lots of capital letters to emphasise his highly predictable posts, and the guy who didn't last very long because his trollery was a love of text messaging.....
There was also a chap, whose name I don't remember (but something 'clever') who I'm sure was spoofing it as a fundamentalist - I wondered if it was Ham'n'Eggs in one of his many manifestations, but I wasn't quite sure.

mt_tomb [Big Grin]

there was also a chap I had to report as his website was for paedophiles; and a chap who mostly posted on the Caption Contest when drunk(?) but also a few times on the boards, and became very offensive; I think he was the reason the posts on the cc had to be monitored for a while before being accepted. Sorry, I'm not very good at remembering names, but I expect you can remember who I mean.

Phew, there have been quite a lot! Sweet nostalgia..... [Roll Eyes]

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

The Pestilent Penitent (and his various other names that I cannot correctly pronounce) really made me laugh. Some of my fondest moments in Hell were devoted to being creatively mean to him.

Posted by Black Dog (# 2344) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Professor Yaffle:
Blazepascal. Remind me, is he the one who kept logging on under a new ID and then posting the kind of anti-Palestinian rhetoric which would have warmed the heart of the late Meir Kahane?

My personal favourite was the chap who stoutly maintained that David Icke might have had a point about the New World Order, including the lizards. Although a dishonourable mention must go to Eleighteen. "Chick tracts get read". They do indeed, accompanied by a feeling of appalled fascination by anyone with an IQ above 60.

At the risk of sounding incredibly sucky, it is a testament to the work of the hosts and admins that this place is as sane as it is given a) the number of loonies in cyberspace and b) the tendency of said loonies to gravitate to certain issues and c) the fact that said loonies have way too much time on their hands.

Hmmm I think that the Icke thing may have had something to do with me though i'm not sure. If it was, it wasn't trolling it was just taking the piss good and proper. I'm suprised that its was regarded as trollism. Sorry.

On another issue, the john D miller thing, not a troll just a looney good and proper. A genius or madman, there is a fine line...

You should know, Black Dog. Takes one to know one, after all.

Posted by Duo Seraphim (# 3251) on :

Shaitan is the one I remember - who could forget his "farewell" spoof on Eminem on the Styx. But then wasn't s/he also blazepascal?

eleighteen was your utility nutter. Ms_Bryonic and paddy leahy were one-issue trolls. fatprophet actually gets my guernsey for recent trollery - or bone-headedness.

I think you are right about John D miller he was a crusader for something but never quite worked out what.

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
I think you are right about John D miller he was a crusader for something but never quite worked out what.

The fourth book of the Pentateuch, maybe? [Wink]

Posted by sarkycow (# 1012) on :

Just for you RooK, The Pest and the Sinner.

Did the pest and the sinner actually rack up the 'most name changes in a single thread' between them, or is that just my imagination?

Still, it was a good troll: I went to England once, and visited a uni CU and I can definitively say the British church is shit.

Viki

quote:
Originally posted by sarkycow:

Did the pest and the sinner actually rack up the 'most name changes in a single thread' between them, or is that just my imagination?

Still, it was a good troll: I went to England once, and visited a uni CU and I can definitively say the British church is shit.

Viki

I'd forgotten how utterly hilarious that thread was. I had the biggest blast there ever.

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:

He used to post on churchnet and come up with weird number crunches that made no sense at all. The first few times they were mildly interesting, and most definitely amusing. Then you just took it as part and parcel of the board, no one used to read them or reply to them. He used to take the number of bricks used to make the great pyramids, multiply it by a random number and come to the conclusion that they were constructed to appease the devil or something similar.

Nutter.

Posted by birdie (# 2173) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Milkman of Human Kindness:
quote:

Viki

I'd forgotten how utterly hilarious that thread was. I had the biggest blast there ever.
The first couple of pages of that are the best fun. In my opinion, it goes downhill from there, but what do I know?

Milkman, who was the guy who had a couple of rants on the boards then went into sending abusive pm's? Well, kind of abusive; one was along the lines of 'back off, I'm a scientist', as I recall.

I think he was the precursor to Oh I get it Now which is still my favourite hell thread.

b

quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
quote:
Originally posted by The Milkman of Human Kindness:
quote:

Viki

The first couple of pages of that are the best fun. In my opinion, it goes downhill from there, but what do I know?

Milkman, who was the guy who had a couple of rants on the boards then went into sending abusive pm's? Well, kind of abusive; one was along the lines of 'back off, I'm a scientist', as I recall.

I think he was the precursor to Oh I get it Now which is still my favourite hell thread.

b

Again....

Stand up and take a bow, black dog...

Posted by birdie (# 2173) on :

oooh.

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
blazepascal has disqualified himself from this thread by virtue of having apologized to me and tomb for everything that happened in the past.

[Eek!]

There's hope for everyone, isn't there?

[Yipee]

phwoof, phwoof,

If I'd have thought I was going to win I would have had something prepared.

Phwoof.

Posted by Ley Druid (# 3246) on :

Lets see if I understand this MasterTroll Theatre.
The Troll is watched by an audience of people who might make comments to reinforce their surveillance and disapproval of the Troll's behavior. Other people learn that they are also always watched like the Troll and learn to modify their behavior accordingly.
I've always had a soft spot for Foucault; this sounds like a virtual panopticon.
quote:
Any individual, taken almost at random, can operate the machine ... Similarly, it does not matter what motive animates him: the curiosity of the indiscreet, the malice of a child, the thirst for knowledge of a philosopher who wishes to visit this museum of human nature, or the perversity of those who take pleasure in spying and punishing. Foucault's Panopticism

Well done, Ley Druid. You were subtle, yet not quite incomprehensible. You maintained just the right air of superiority. In all, excellent trolling.

Thanks, Scot. I was groping for the right words to characterize his post. For incomprehensibility, I give it an 8.5. For pretentiousness a 10.

Scot, help me out here. Wasn't there another guy who posed as a chemistry student or something? Used to stir up trouble with Protestants and then get Father Gregory to fight his battles for him? People would get so sick of the tag team effort they would start to ignore them and then this guy, what the hell was his name, would accuse everyone of being dickless and brainless for running away. I thought I saw the guy trying empty flattery on FCB recently. It worked so well on Father Gregory. I laughed my ass off--FCB was like, "Thanks for the compliment but I confess your posts are utterly imcomprehensible." He did a pretty good job sucking Josephine in because she is such a sweet and trusting soul. "Isn't what you really mean this?" "Oh yes yes Josephine do go on."

Isn't the Spanish word for Law, "Ley?" I'm pretty sure it is. It would be strange for a devout Catholic to call themselves "Druid Law," no? At least I think so.

Anyway, I saw this thread once where this Druid Law guy was talking in German about anti-Semistism, I mean how obvious can you get? He was back at it on the communion/Eucharist threads recently. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to not being able to use that any more since it has been Dead Horsed.

Do you know who I'm talking about Scot? You must; he always seems to especially delight in pissing you off and seeing you pissed off. I have to say he's my least favorite troll, but one of the more challenging ones. He does for Catholicism what Gunner just can't seem to get done for Anglicanism.

quote:
He does for Catholicism what Gunner just can't seem to get done for Anglicanism.

[Killing me]

JimT, I should post some witty banter here to match yours, but I can't stop giggling long enough.

Posted by Presleyterian (# 1915) on :

quote:
Laura wrote: For incomprehensibility, I give it an 8.5. For pretentiousness a 10.
Considering that Foucault himself usually rates only an 8.0 and a 9.5 (OK, occasionally a perfect 10 from the crooked Bulgarian judge, but only because he hates those cute Canadians with the matching sweaters -- and no, I don't mean RooK and Raspberry Rabbit), I think the student has finally outclassed the master.

[Not worthy!]

quote:
Originally posted by Black Dog:
He used to take the number of bricks used to make the great pyramids, multiply it by a random number and come to the conclusion that they were constructed to appease the devil or something similar.

Nutter.

[Waterworks] I can't believe I missed him!

JimT, you have officially made the center spread of Tigerbeat for me. You are the Fabio of sarcasm.

[Not worthy!] [Love]

Posted by Captain IT (# 3550) on :

To quote the axe-wielding bunny:
quote:
JimT, you have officially made the center spread of Tigerbeat for me. You are the Fabio of sarcasm.
JimT I know, Fabio, I've heard of; but what's Tigerbeat, Kelly?

CI//puzzled, as usual.

Uhhh... magazine aimed at teenage girls which features hunky teen idol pics and information? Popular in the late '70's/ early '80's? Is there a UK equivalent?

Posted by Captain IT (# 3550) on :

Kelly; there assuredly was/is but not having been a teenage girl I would not claim to know them accurately - but names like "Jackie" and "Just 13" (or something like that) would seem to be likely. To the best of my knowledge, there is no UK version of Tigerbeat.

Now, where was that troll again?

CI//waiting to be proved wrong, again.

Posted by OgtheDim (# 3200) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Thanks, Scot. I was groping for the right words to characterize his post. For incomprehensibility, I give it an 8.5. For pretentiousness a 10.

What do you expect; he's a chemist.

quote:
Originally posted by Presleyterian:
Considering that Foucault himself usually rates only an 8.0 and a 9.5 ... I think the student has finally outclassed the master.
[Not worthy!]

[Big Grin]

Presley:

I was once up all night writing a paper, an extended exegesis on Foucault's Archaeology of Knowledge, which I found nearly impossible to understand. Then I had this brief enlightenment when I thought I'd "got it". Words flowed like wine. The finished paper (six hours and and a pack of cigarettes later) was splendidly opaque. I got an A+, and raves from the professor. The moment passed, though, and I'm back to finding Foucault pretentious and incomprehensible. Every time I read that paper I wrote, in awe and wonder, I understand it less. I'm not sure whether this is a good or a bad thing. The professor still thinks I'm one of his best students.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

About 5 minutes ago, in Purgatory, the entity that shapes the bits by the name of "Gunner" posted this:

quote:

I have heard that Catholics consider that they are NOT a denomination like all other churches - rather they are the church.

How do catholics aregue this point out? And if it is the case do they consider that other Christian bodies are there for the conversion?

Just sit back & admire the Troll!

Posted by Ben26 (# 4201) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
About 5 minutes ago, in Purgatory, the entity that shapes the bits by the name of "Gunner" posted this:

quote:

I have heard that Catholics consider that they are NOT a denomination like all other churches - rather they are the church.

How do catholics aregue this point out? And if it is the case do they consider that other Christian bodies are there for the conversion?

Just sit back & admire the Troll!
Yes, as trolls go, Gunner isn't bad is he?

Gunner is obvious. He never replies. And, he whines when called on it.

Who needs an atomic clock: just count on Gunner for a troll thread once every 10 days. [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Merseymike (# 3022) on :

Laura ; Foucault is meant to be incomprehensible. That's the idea. I teach Foucault and I still think its difficult.

As for Gunner [Projectile] - what is so abhorrent is that this man is bloody ordained. It is almost enough, alone, to demolish belief in apostolic succession and vocation.

quote:
Originally posted by OgtheDim:

Who needs an atomic clock: just count on Gunner for a troll thread once every 10 days.

Or is it always on Tuesdays?

Many vicars, like many publicans, have their day off on Tuesday. Maybe the posts come after a relaxing long lunch in the public houses of rural Gunnershire.

I think we can reliably say that Gunner is not ordained to anything other than monotony. Go Alan!

quote:
Surely this was done on the denominations thread that you started and have yet to respond to any comments on.

Thread closed.

So, are we predicting that next Tuesday, we will get a thread called "Christian Unity" that will say "As long as Orthodox, Catholic and Anglican folk persist in they're division, how ever will unitey be regained? I fear that we are pushing away the folk who need us most. And may I say with others here that I too dearely miss Fr. Gregory who used to take this stupid shit from me seriously."

(more giggling)

Originally posted by Ben26:

quote:
Yes, as trolls go, Gunner isn't bad is he?
Strictly a spent force, I'd have thought.

The essence of a great troll is that he or she argues for a position, in a provocative and offensive manner but in such a way that they provoke their interlocutor into moving from a position of studied rationality to screaming abuse at them. You start off by saying things like: "Whilst certain superficial critics may say that Aquinas' Summa Contra Gentiles shows an undue dependence on Aristotelianism" (well I do, but then I'm nearly as pretentious as Ley Druid) and end up by saying things like "Originally posted by lying Nazi fuckwit scumbag".

Despite the fact that it was possible to hear Alan telepathing "tosser" down the phone wires when he closed down Fr. Gunner's latest thread, I imagine that fewer and fewer people will bother to respond to Gunner's posts as they are patently bogus.

I think that a great troll does it unconciously. As Black Dog has outed himself already on this thread, I point to his performance on the BNP thread as a demonstration of his expertise. [Help]

I can't get my head around Gunner [Confused]

My favourite was still m_t tomb [Big Grin]

Posted by Mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Professor Yaffle:
You start off by saying things like: "Whilst certain superficial critics may say that Aquinas' Summa Contra Gentiles shows an undue dependence on Aristotelianism" and end up by saying things like "Originally posted by lying Nazi fuckwit scumbag".

[Not worthy!]

Thanks for the laugh!

Reader Alexis

Yaffle, thank you a million times for the BNP thread. That was Hi-fucking-larious. Start to finish. I loved "Now before anybody starts calling me a troll..." I loved, "I've had asylum seekers come to my door looking for food, not that I mind, but isn't the government supposed to be keeping these people off my doorstep?" I also loved the very consistent misspelling of waht, especially when a point of extreme idiocy was being made.

See, I don't read many "British-oriented" threads. But that one was the political equivilent of the Chick tract ones. In fact, I think Black Dog is EL18. He has the same theme: I'm not a Nazi or anything; I'm an extreme conservative with a social conscience (ha ha said he!) and while I don't agree with Chick or the BNP I perfectly understand where they are coming from intellectually. Can't we rationally discuss their points of real concern? If they didn't have at least some kind of validity they wouldn't be so popular. How do you explain their popularity?

But Wood is right: that Pestilent guy was way better. Not because he was any less obvious but because he was really funny and a decent writer for a troll. He brought out the best in Wood, too. That thread is a classic.

Black Dog, from the looks of the BNP thread you are a garden variety troll. But I will say that I laughed my ass off when someone said, "No one is trying to call you stupid..." They of course were and you of course...

Posted by Paul W (# 1450) on :

Black Dog
Sooty Puss

We seem to have a theme going. My money's on the next one calling themselves something like "Dark Horse".

Paul W

Always one step ahead lads and ladettes, always one step ahead.

was Sooty Puss a troll then? [Disappointed]

quote:
Originally babbled by le Chien Noir:

This, fellow Denizens, is the mark of a truly tortured soul. Not only is this morally inept fucklick habitually seeking attention even though all he can manage to attract is ire, he has somehow managed to convince himself that by virtue of being an annoying child that he has actually accomplished something. I suspect that his life has been a disappointing downward slide since his pinnacle achievement: potty training. I'll bet that his eyes veritably brim over with tears when he recalls the triumphant joy of showing his mommy "what he had done"... alas, an accomplishment that he has been doomed never to equal since.

At least his trollness has some amusement value here in Hell, even though he's not a particularly talented one.

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus Coot:
Actually, I think duchess' sig is one of the best innocent pieces of trollery around at the moment:
quote:
"Faith and religion are two different animals, but there are sincere people of faith involved in religion, just as there are insincere religious people who claim faith, but Christ dosent have space for a doctrine of hate. " - Priest SoF May 9, 2003
(You are my fave Calvinist babe, duchess honest, I just think you have bad taste in sigs)

I dunno the context, but when I read that, I read: "What I ('Priest') do is Faith, what you do is Religion. I will concede that even in the Anti-Christ's maze of Religion (which is anything that isn't My kind of religion in case you're wondering) there are some (misguided) people of Faith. Just as there are some insincere religious people who claim faith. Notice I've been hazy about the proportionate distribution? That's 'cos anyone in Your Religion without My kind of Faith is one of the insincere religious people who 'claim' faith. But I'm not actually going to come out and say that. Oh and. Christ doesn't have space for a doctrine of hate. Which doesn't diminish the fact that you are still wrong by the way."

Thankyou.
[Roll Eyes]

Argh! Ship's Gentleman, You KNOW I didn't mean it THAT WAY! I thought to myself he meant to say that one can love God and not have religion...that hate was not a Christian virtue. I sadly did not read in detail...I am so now changing my sig line.

[brick wall]

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

If anyone would like to see a sample of Jim Powell's output, here is a thread in Limbo.

Moo

(pinning RooK's centerfold to wall)

Moo, Jim seems like a bit of a minimalist. My favorite there was the use of an obvious sock puppet, chaplaineric, to get the conversation going. What tickled me is the Oklahoma connection and chaplaineric's description of his interests: Liturgy, baseball, and pro wrestling.

[Killing me]

Funny thing is, my father always loved pro wrestling and introduced me to it with "Georgeous George" in the 50's. I remember asking my father time and time again as a 5 year old exactly why he found fake fighting and mouthing off so funny. He could never stop laughing long enough to give a coherent explanation.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
I'll bet that his eyes veritably brim over with tears when he recalls the triumphant joy of showing his mommy "what he had done"... alas, an accomplishment that he has been doomed never to equal since.

Too, too good my friend. I had been thinking myself about Ley Druid's over self-estimation of our community aversion to his ilk as watching out for "the plague." [Roll Eyes] Oooo the danger. What it's more like is watching for the odd plastic turd that some product of defective parenting has placed in the offering plate.

I believe that our community aversion to trolling is a sensible reaction to something unpleasant. Not dangerous so much as just disgusting.

Trolling is essentially conversation-rape. The victims are unwittingly goaded into an argument that they did not want, and they are humiliated for the satisfaction of someone else. Indeed, I suspect that the primary motivation for trolling is not the actual engagement, but rather the perception of power that could be derived from it.

I suppose that the kind thing to do would be to help them overcome the social/psychological limitation that prevents them from having consensual conversations... But I can't be bothered. They're too much fun to kick around. Their own foolish self-importance makes them ideal targets for practicing on.

Thanks for the insightful comments.
Some of you seem to be having some fun.
Why? I really think it would be neat to ask why?
quote:
Ask yourself whether you are happy
and you cease to be so -- John Stuart Mill

Happy Troll bashing to all.

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

'S one a.m. Wednesday for me, an' I may be hallucinating or something...

But I remember from my time new here the Brojees thing.

It was something about the Ship that mixed with his chemistry and brought out the weirdness. He functions beautifully elsewhere. I mean, I don't recall a single pacifist poem from knowing him off-Ship.

He and I moderate on another board, occasionally butting heads but usually we're fine. I'm rather hawky to his dove I guess.

G'night, all you in-crowd.

quote:
Why ask why? --Budweiser
As Budweiser so aptly says, it is even more interesting why someone would ask someone else why? Why do you ask why, LD? What jollies do you get from that?

Posted by ChrisT (# 62) on :

quote:
quote:
Why ask why? --Budweiser

It's more a case of "when" round here. As my dear drunkmother used to say:- "Idiots do happen".

Posted by Ham'n'Eggs (# 629) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
If anyone would like to see a sample of Jim Powell's output, here is a thread in Limbo.

Moo

Wow, it all comes flooding back!

And also Shaun and Pasco thrown in for good measure! [Eek!]

Ah yes, Jim Powell and his buddy Max Chapman (two fellows so close it's difficult to tell them apart [Wink] ). The memories of my first few days hosting, a baptism of fire as it were.

All those "I know I'm leaving, but..."'s on (for example) page 3 of this thread. And the classics!
quote:
Originally posted by Max Chapman on p4 of the same thread:
Hey all you hosts....I believe that commandment #5 should be upheld. These passages have proven many of you wrong, now it's time to own up to it......On 2nd thought, forget it. I don't need any accolades from a bunch of idiotic, arrogant, self-righteous losers such as yall.

That's right. You can't be a Christian & doubt the validity of the Bible.

Repent or keep a lot of ice handy. From what I understand, Hell is quite warm

<snip>

PS: Erin, you dissapoint me. I thought a down to Earth southerner such as yourself would be more grounded in Faith. You act just like the self-righteous Brits...what a shame [Confused]

It was so nice to see him in the Cafe a few month ago [Roll Eyes]

quote:
quote:
Originally babbled by le Chien Noir:

This, fellow Denizens, is the mark of a truly tortured soul. Not only is this morally inept fucklick habitually seeking attention even though all he can manage to attract is ire, he has somehow managed to convince himself that by virtue of being an annoying child that he has actually accomplished something. I suspect that his life has been a disappointing downward slide since his pinnacle achievement: potty training. I'll bet that his eyes veritably brim over with tears when he recalls the triumphant joy of showing his mommy "what he had done"... alas, an accomplishment that he has been doomed never to equal since.

At least his trollness has some amusement value here in Hell, even though he's not a particularly talented one.

Well... Strictly speaking I would argue that I'm not a troll, not one at all really. In fact I'm stunned at the sugestion. It was all you lot who have jumped to that conclusion.

It's quite confusing looking back with all those trolls with the same avatars.

Posted by IntellectByProxy (# 3185) on :

'Jumped to' 'that conclusion'...? [Roll Eyes]

By a man's works shall ye know him.

In other words: if it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, chances are it's a duck.

How is your bridge these days?

Actually, ThinkyBlackDogEblis, calling you a troll is in a strange way giving you the benefit of the doubt.

The alternative is just too horrible to contemplate...

The alternative is that I'm Graham norton in disguise.

As the Milkman said, too horrible to contemplate

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Ah yes, Jim Powell and his buddy Max Chapman (two fellows so close it's difficult to tell them apart [Wink]

I have trouble telling Ley Druid and Jesuitical Lad apart. I'm suspect they must be aspects of the same being. They use very different styles, but both are aggravating and difficult to understand.
And I've only ever heard one message from either of them.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Uhhh... magazine aimed at teenage girls which features hunky teen idol pics and information? Popular in the late '70's/ early '80's? Is there a UK equivalent?

Tiger Beat

quote:
Originally posted by Ley Druid:
Thanks for the insightful comments.
Some of you seem to be having some fun.
Why? I really think it would be neat to ask why?

At first I thought this was a haiku.

Then I realised it was not.

Then I decided to make it into one:

Insightful words: Thanks!
Fun is had by some of you.
"Why?" I ask -- so neat!

David
actually doesn't recall much about Ley Druid's posts, though he has a cool name

Posted by Sleeper (# 2103) on :

Are all Op's trolling to a certain extent, being overly provactive, over stating the case to get a debate going, especailly in hell?

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
Tiger Beat

David, why does it come as no surprise that you are the one to post the link to this site?

quote:
Originally posted by Sleeper:
Are all Op's trolling to a certain extent, being overly provactive, over stating the case to get a debate going, especailly in hell?

No.

Reader Alexis

Posted by Jesuitical Lad (# 2575) on :

quote:
both are aggravating and difficult to understand.

[Tear]

quote:
I have trouble telling Ley Druid and Jesuitical Lad apart. I'm suspect they must be aspects of the same being. They use very different styles, but both are aggravating and difficult to understand.
And I've only ever heard one message from either of them.

I object. JL is nothing like Ley Druid, and nothing like a troll. I've never had a moment's trouble understanding a JL post. I just don't agree with some of them. There's a big difference.

quote:
provactive
Isn't that a mild euphoric? I think they put me on that for a while, but I can't remember.

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 3631) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jesuitical Lad:
quote:
both are aggravating and difficult to understand.

Maybe that's the "Jesuitical" part. [Wink]

I agree with Laura. I find JL's writing style nicely concrete and clear, and his posts quite easy to understand, but not so easy to agree with when we're debating RCC doctrine and practice, as he unfortunately remains locked in that Romish iron grip. [Big Grin]

Despite his appalling lack of iconoclasm, I believe he drinks G&Ts, and I like his sense of humor, so he does have at least two saving graces. [Big Grin] [Snigger]

I'm with Laura and that other ken man,

JL maybe annoyingly firm in his beliefs, and thus is quite easy to bounce around like a nice game of tethercat, but he's no troll.

quote:
They [JL,LD] use very different styles, but both are aggravating and difficult to understand.
Yes, the styles are distinctly different. JL's is the clear style of fervency that tends toward the doctrinaire and lapses into hurt sarcasm under pressing attacks. Apart from heavy sarcasm his use of language is exceptionally clear. LD's is a more menacing style predicated on the assumption that "the other" is as vile, spiteful, and mean-spirited as he is and thus deserving of his taunts. Moreover, he clouds exceptionally poor communication skills with deliberately impenetrable and poorly expressed language in an attempt to feign intelligence that he does not have. In short, he is a mature troll, several quantum leaps beyond Black Dog who seems a nice little brat who is not more than a couple of spankings and a half dozen spelling lessons away from normalcy.

Ken, on the doctrinaire side your puzzlement puzzles me. I remember a doctrinaire socialist doggedly refusing to budge from the position that capitalism is legalized theft. I'm certain you remember the conversation as well. Once the doctrinaire have painted themselves into a tight corner, they find it difficult to emerge.

What Laura said.

Oooooh, look! A new troll! I believe it's known as a "brendo," and can be seen in the Hell thread on Texas Government, among other threads.

"The brendo is known for its poorly-developed survival and social skills, which account for its low numbers, and is also known for its hostility and shrill squawks aimed at the Americanus bird, but scientists have yet to discover any real communication in these noises. Brendos are a favorite staple of Florida alligators."

The guidebook says its native habitat is claimed to be Oz. Hmmmm, that's odd: The only other Ozzie Shipmates I've seen are troll-free, so I wonder if he's not native, perhaps got blown there on a hot wind or something?

I do recall an Aussie who got booted.

He subsequently rejoined, and is now a long-standing Shipmate and prolific poster.

Is "Brendo" like "Bondo(TM)"?

quote:
Originally posted by OgtheDim:
...annoyingly firm in his beliefs...

This is so telling!

Reader Alexis

Posted by FCB (# 1495) on :

I think JL definitely escapes the troll label, and the only thing I find hard to understand about his posts are why he insists on answering questions by providing links to the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia. The articles are almost always completely opaque to anyone without at least an MA in theology (or lots of self-study).

And besides, he makes me look moderate.

FCB

quote:
Why do you ask why, LD? What jollies do you get from that?

Insatiable curiosity I guess.
Consider this curious statement:
quote:
Brojees was real, I'm sure, and I take a large portion of the credit for running him off.

Did you think about all that credit you'd get when you were running him off? Is that large portion of credit a motivation or just a gratuitous reward?
If I'm a mature Troll, do you want to run me off as well? Are you going to get more or less credit for that?

Posted by Priest (# 4313) on :

quote:

quote:

Thankyou.
[Roll Eyes]

I'm honoured to be accused of trolling by such a master troll as Icarus Coot.

Thankyou kind sir.
[Not worthy!]

[Killing me]

Which reminds me... I need to schedule time for a "talk" with Ancient Mariner, to "thank" him for the publicity that's led to the influx of total fucktards lately.

[Mad]

Shit attracts flys.

[Killing me]

quote:
Brojees was real, I'm sure, and I take a large portion of the credit for running him off.

I wouldn't flatter yourself, mate. There are many who did more, Above and Beyond...

quote:
Originally posted by Priest:
Shit attracts flys.

[Killing me]

Well they're hovering around your spelling then.

It's 'flies'

So, what is the list of names then for your witch hunt? Its like 1950's USA in here at the moment.

quote:
So, what is the list of names then for your witch hunt? Its like 1950's USA in here at the moment.

Full of cheeky jiving gals and the lilting tones of Buddy Holly?

quote:

We could tell you, but then we'd have to kill you. Just know that when we do target a troll for removal, the process is very painless.*

*For us. For the troll... not so much.

quote:
Originally posted by IntellectByProxy:
quote:
Shit attracts flys.

[Killing me]

It's 'flies'

Come on, how long did you preview your post before you submitted it.
[Wink]

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by IntellectByProxy:
quote:
Shit attracts flys.

[Killing me]

It's 'flies'

Come on, how long did you preview your post before you submitted it.
[Wink]

Twenty three minutes, to be exact.

quote:

Hey, there's an idea; a real Christian witch hunt.

We could all sit outside near a major highway with signs saying things like:

Don't let your babies grow up to be Gunner

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
Tiger Beat

David, why does it come as no surprise that you are the one to post the link to this site?

Search engines -- delight!
Old comic strip character:
I, Barney Google!

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Is "Brendo" like "Bondo(TM)"?

I keep thinking of Brendon Fraiser...that is not good. He is certainly not a troll...<slap!> ok...I am ok now.

My favorite troll right now is sooty puss aka some other alias I can not think of right now(who changed his name). Classic excuse "I don't speak English well". I enjoyed too watching the a8& flaming on that one.

Posted by Jesuitical Lad (# 2575) on :

[Love] to all those who don't consider me a troll. Very reassuring...

(and very wise, too. I've made a list of y'all, and when the RomeBot Uprising finally does take place, you'll be entitled to continued existence as Vatican slaves.)

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:

(and very wise, too. I've made a list of y'all, and when the RomeBot Uprising finally does take place, you'll be entitled to continued existence as Vatican slaves.)

If it's not too late to sign up, please count me in as someone who doesn't think you're a troll. And when the RomeBot Uprising comes, do you suppose I could be assigned as housekeeper to a goodlooking, straight priest on whom I could practice my Episcopalian wiles? Just to tell how firm his beliefs really are, of course.

quote:

Is the Vatican fire proof then?

Ruth - given the purge of "nominal catholic" clergy that will doubtless occur, after the Romebot uprising I doubt the poor fellow will have the energy, given the amount of work he'll have on. [Wink]

JL - I don't think you're a troll, but if it's all the same to you I propose to perish on the barricades. Look for a woodpecker with a 39 button cassock, mirror shades and an uzi. [Cool]

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 3631) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
do you suppose I could be assigned as housekeeper to a goodlooking, straight priest on whom I could practice my Episcopalian wiles? Just to tell how firm his beliefs really are, of course.

Line forms to the rear.

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
Line forms to the rear.

Rear of who exactly?

Professor, kindly save me a spot on the barricades if you don't mind. Thanks much.

Hmmm...as a pacifist, I won't be on the barricades. I'll probably get roasted alive in a golden calf though, if history repeats itself. [Wink]

quote:

Um, thanks, but I think I'll be joining Professor Yaffle on the barricades as well. If only for the joy of hanging out with a guy wearing a 39 button cassock, shades and an Uzi. (Schwinggggg!) But only if it's a purple cassock.

I'm not sure why, but in my mind's eye Professor Yaffle now looks like Morpheus from Matrix. Although I don't think Morpheus has quite as many buttons.

Umm, Laura - schwing? It's not really "Larry" is it?

Hey folks, on the Brojees thing I admit I was patting myself on the back inappropriately but at the same time I meant something more like, "I think I was the straw that broke the camel's back." In truth, I was hoping that he would come through the conversation with me and join The Ship. As I said, I don't think he's a troll.

As for Brother Ley, what I personally think is not so telling as what the rest of The Ship thinks. Ley Druid's swipe at the whole Ship for having self-defeating threads like this one was called "trolling" by Scot, was vigorously seconded by me, and has been rebutted by...no one. Look at the response to JL. Immediate and positive.

Who was is that said organizations must recognize 'the other' and work to eliminate it? I argued against it but now find myself in favor. Ley Druid, join or leave. You post like a troll, sitting at the margins, egging on those who you say are on your side while belittling The Ship as a whole. Post for six months showing that you really understand the other side. Post in such a way that a dozen or more Shipmates instantly leap to your defense the minute anyone even hints you are a troll.

quote:
Originally posted by JimT
Ley Druid's swipe at the whole Ship for having self-defeating threads like this one was called "trolling" by Scot, was vigorously seconded by me, and has been rebutted by...no one.

I never said anything about self-defeating threads. A casual search of Hell and Purgatory reveals more threads talking about Trolls than about the Devil. I think that MasterTroll Theatre plays an interesting part on the SOF. I'm just curious to explore what it is.

I have a high regard for the SOF and all shipmates (Trolls included). Chesteron said "Every man who knocks on the door of a brothel is looking for God", I feel the same way about anyone who posts. I will leave the question of my membership in the hands of the very competent hosts.

quote:
Who was is that said organizations must recognize 'the other' and work to eliminate it? I argued against it but now find myself in favor. Ley Druid, join or leave.

I thought that this thread might get you talking like that. Fascinating.

quote:
I have a high regard for the SOF and all shipmates (Trolls included).
Why do you suppose they have so much trouble believing that? You have not a single defender so far. Don't you find that fascinating as well?

The Hosts have a huge tolerance for trolls and trolling. You can troll here forever if that's what trips your trigger. All you have to do is keep making empty apologies and then going on your merry way. I've heard it before, and one month later you were back to calling the whole Ship brainless and dickless without apology. Your credibility with me is zero.

If you really believe what you told me about "the other," if you have no defenders, you have been recognized as "the other" whereas JL has been recognized as "self." Perhaps you should treat The Ship as I treat the Catholic Church: perhaps you should only post when a close friend or family member begs you to post, just for them. Deal?

quote:
The Hosts have a huge tolerance for trolls and trolling.

True
quote:
You can troll here forever if that's what trips your trigger. All you have to do is keep making empty apologies and then going on your merry way.
Not so true. As friendly 'alligator eating a troll' avatars peppered around Limbo and Dead Horses testify. It's true that some of the more persistant trolls return time after time, but due to various technical issues we can't really stop them. But suffice to say that the Hosts and Admins are very quick to notice returning morons, usually as they haven't changed in style or content. There is one very recent example.

So Black Dog continues to post because...

Let me explain myself a bit more fully. Hosts and admins will always be at the mercy of a determined troll because the troll always has the option of making an empty apology or an empty statement like, “I respect everyone here.” Freedom of speech and forgiveness are valued too highly to say, “I’m not buying it—suspended.” I think Ley Troll gives empty apologies and empty flattery to stay in the game. Thus, Hosts and Admins have to hope he will go away or that people will just start ignoring him.

Posted by Lurker (# 1384) on :

Is blazepascal the only one to get booted off under three different names? Or is there anyone else who has done 'better'?

I also seem to remember someone who used 'the c-word' as his username. Or did I imagine that?

Who was Joanna? I've heard her name a few times. She must have been before my time.

quote:
So Black Dog continues to post because...

Purely for the amusement of the powers that be.

quote:
I think Ley Troll gives empty apologies and empty flattery to stay in the game. Thus, Hosts and Admins have to hope he will go away or that people will just start ignoring him.

Or what? What terrible consequences would ensue if I don't go away and everybody doesn't ignore me? JimT, would you save people from such a fate? Will you give them hope? Remember how much credit they gave you for Brojees...

quote:
The alternative is that I'm Graham norton in disguise.

quote:
Originally posted by Lurker:
I also seem to remember someone who used 'the c-word' as his username.

That, IIRC, was a friend of Regina Coley.

( [Roll Eyes] My witty reply to that being...)

Impossible. Graham Notron is a connoseiuer of eclectic talent. If you were his alter ego, by now you would have hired kenwritez as a sketch writer, Erin as a bodyguard, Chastmastr as one of the runway escorts, and you would be dating Merseymike. And you would have a sly but sweet "Since you axed" segment wokred into your program. So, when I see the contract in the mail....

quote:
Originally posted by Ley Druid to Scot on the Catholics thread:
Or what? Wadda ya gonna do about it?

quote:
Originally posted by Ley Druid to me on this thread:
Or what?

That does it for me. A troll would never be so obviously and repetitively childish. I'm convinced: Ley Druid is not troll.

quote:
Originally posted by Lurker:
Who was Joanne? I've heard her name a few times. She must have been before my time.

Joanne was even before *my* time, and I've been here three and a half years. Rest assured, no one has bombed the SoF boards quite as comprehensively as Joanne did. When a troll is remembered over four years after the event, you knwo it was something special...

Apparently Joann posted huge amounts of stuff in a very short space of time by copying and pasting.

Suse spent one night deleting Joann's posts. There were more than two hundred in eight hours.

I think this happened in January, 1999.

Moo

quote:
I'm honoured to be accused of trolling by such a master troll as Icarus Coot.

Thankyou kind sir.
[Not worthy!]

I'm not a troll I'm just a Bastard © 1966.
(Hardcover Edition, Bonded Leather, 2003).

He really is. He knows the secret handshake and everything.

While I'm at it, I don't mind Ley Druid or his posts. The board needs more Catholics. Preferably Pre-Conciliar, all-singing, all-dancing. More Orthodox wouldn't go astray too.

Tat and certainty are missing from my religious life so I need it vicariously.

quote:
That does it for me. A troll would never be so obviously and repetitively childish. I'm convinced: Ley Druid is not troll.

Maybe he's just not a very good one? FWIW, I think LD might actually believe some of the stuff he posts.

quote:
More Orthodox wouldn't go astray too.

Y'all need to work harder at attracting us. [Razz]

Reader Alexis

JimT, if you have an argument with Ley Druid, then start your own personal argument thread (having paid me first) to have it out with him. If you don't have an argument with him, then I expect you will no longer being posting attacks and arguments on him on this thread.

Viki, hellhost

Sorry for the diversion. I've had my say.

Posted by fatprophet (# 3636) on :

quote:
Sorry for the diversion. I've had my say.

Thank God for that!
You have been very mean in your usual pompous way to nice Ley Druid and J.L. You should be ashamed of yourself as these are persons of profound genius. (takes one to know one)

Note to self:
Find some way to get even with Scot for starting this thread.

quote:
Note to self:
Find some way to get even with Scot for starting this thread.

Be nice, or the next one will be poetry again.

quote:
Originally posted by fatprophet:
these are persons of profound genius. (takes one to know one)

That would explain your confusion.

quote:
Originally posted by fatprophet elsewhere:

So beware foolish christians. For I am Legion and we are Many (i.e. really have gone bonkers)

<snip>

P.S [Fuckety Fuck] if you have a problem with that.

I seem to have suffered from the same problem you have, and have the same reaction to your problem with me.

quote:
Apparently Joann posted huge amounts of stuff in a very short space of time by copying and pasting.

Suse spent one night deleting Joann's posts. There were more than two hundred in eight hours.

I think this happened in January, 1999.

Moo

Wow, an even higher posting-per-minute rate than Smudgie! [Wink] [Not worthy!] I am impressed....... [Big Grin]

(but Smudgie's posts are much nicer, of course. [Cool] )

I think I missed Joanne as well (I've not been here quite as long as the Milkman). But she sounds wonderful. Maybe we ought to pcopy up some of her posts here, in the hopes that some of the current very mediocre-quality trolls will learn how to do things properly.

quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
FWIW, I think LD might actually believe some of the stuff he posts.

Dear Scot,
Have I posted anything on this thread that you don't believe? What is to be done with people, trolls or otherwise, to disabuse them of their unbelieveable posts?

Which makes me ask once again, where, oh, where is our Book of Fools? (lament, lament) The tale of Joanne needs to be revealed to the world. I"d buy it.

I first heard the story of Joann from Suse.

Last year there was a thread in the Styx on the history of the ship. Simon and Erin told some more about Joann's huge number of posts, which Erin, Simon, or Suse promptly deleted.

I don't know what happened to that Styx thread. It may have been deleted.

Moo

To Err is Human, to Delete is Divine.

Posted by Paul W (# 1450) on :

quote:

Last year there was a thread in the Styx on the history of the ship. Simon and Erin told some more about Joann's huge number of posts, which Erin, Simon, or Suse promptly deleted.

Moo

No, it's just right down the bottom.

History of the Ship

Paul W

quote:
Originally posted by Ley Druid:
Have I posted anything on this thread that you don't believe? What is to be done with people, trolls or otherwise, to disabuse them of their unbelieveable posts?

LD, the mark of trollery is not in whether the reader believes, but whether the writer believes. I'm afraid trolls cannot be cured, only pilloried.

You know what I find funny about the history of the ship thread? The way it begins with Erin acting like the story teller and everyone else wanting her to tell us all more.

She's like old bear.

hehe...now that is amusing. I can't see why anyone should be eulogised simply because of past or present involvement,personally.

Feeding egos, I think.

quote:
Originally posted by Merseymike:
Feeding egos, I think.

And you'd know.

quote:
I can't see why anyone should be eulogised simply because of past or present involvement, personally.

I can't see why anyone would want to ask about the memories of one of the longest-standing members of this website on a thread called "History of the Ship". Seems ludicrous to me.

We should all be grilling the newbies about the history of Ship guidelines, and what happened 4 years ago, rather than one of the people who have made this place what it is.

Far be it from me to hold in esteem someone who has devoted more time and energy to making sure that we can all have this resource to use. I don't want to be caught praising the people responsible for creating one of my favourite places - be it virtual or real. That would be silly, wouldn't it?

Pull the other one, Merseymike.

it is called "BITING THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU" Merseymike, something you seem to enjoy doing.

[brick wall]
[Votive]

It's just a sign of how long the Ship has been around now (and all credit to its creators and maintainers) that we have got to the stage where we all feel nostalgic for the 'past'. If it wasn't for the dedication of many - and the extreme dedication, nay vocation, of a few, then there would be no past, or present either. So there! [Razz]

You've got shit timing, MM.

Posted by Kenwritez (# 3238) on :

quote:
hehe...now that is amusing. I can't see why anyone should be eulogised simply because of past or present involvement,personally.

Well, then please peruse the Miss Molly eulogies and afterward, return here and let us know if you still hold to this.

Amen, kenwritez. [Not worthy!]

quote:
You've got shit timing, MM.

You think it's a coincidence, Kelly? I'm quite convinced that Mike is the kind of person who gleefully kicks people when they're down, and I'm sure my post in AS gave him the gentle nudge he needed.

quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
I'm afraid trolls cannot be cured, only pilloried.

I like it. You make me see Foucault in a whole new light.

What post in AS ?

Erin, did you seriously think that someone who has said on numerous occasions that the Ship is "just a website" and doesn't have any desire to be part of the community here would even be aware of the amount of prayer support that is expressed in All Saints, let alone care enough to read the relevant threads?

Generally I look at Purgatory, Hell and , sometimes, the MW. Visits to other boards are rare.

Is a further expectation that we look at all boards ? Must say, I find the level of expected conformity towards one's attitude towards this site and its participants and ethos a classic example of the dark side of 'community'. You can't enforce your vision upon all who choose to visit. Unless you only want those who 'fit in' according to your invented criteria. Which is fair enough, but if there are expectations of how we should approach this site, then it is reasonable to inform applicants.

The Mid and IbP made some valid and worthwhile points.

...on the other thread, that is ( this is getting confusing...)

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Erin, did you seriously think that someone who has said on numerous occasions that the Ship is "just a website" and doesn't have any desire to be part of the community here would even be aware of the amount of prayer support that is expressed in All Saints, let alone care enough to read the relevant threads?

Well, I know he goes into AS and knows what it's for, evidently he tried to organize a meet with people who don't matter because it's "just a website".

MM, I think it is vital that you do read AS, because it gives you information about certain shipmates which have a bearing on what you do or do not say to them when you post. eg. would you want to make a derogatory post about mothers to someone whose mother has just died? So it always pays to be aware of how others in the community are faring.
A little smidgen of human empathy wouldn't do any harm, hey? [Roll Eyes]

But Chorister, it's "just a website". No one here matters. Haven't you been taking notes?

I think I've only been in to All Saints two or three times. Yes, I know what its about, but I don't read the threads there. I'm sure not everyone reads all the sections....

Having thought about all this, there seems to be clear expectations as to how we should approach this site - as a community, to which we should be prepared to invest emotional as well as intellectual energy - and both acknowledgment and agreement with the hierarchical way in which it is organised and those in the positions which afford them 'superiority'.

I recognise I'm not on that wavelength and that most people like the ethos of whats being done here.
I like the discussions, but I don't think I feel the same way about this place that many others appear to.

No, Mike, no one is expected to read everything or even every board. However, the fact that you turned on me like a junkyard dog a day after I posted that I was being tested for leukemia and lymphoma and various other diseases seems a little too convenient.

Bottom line: I don't really care how you view Ship of Fools. What I care about, and what others seem to care about, too, is how you behave. For a majority of people here, it is a community of sorts. You are free to not view it that way. However, you are NOT free to treat other people on here like they are unimportant, irrelevant, and meaningless based on the fact that "it's just a website". If you walk into a community or club or whatever, you either (a) respect the ethos and the intent of the place or (b) find another place to belong.

You can choose (c) to be a complete git about the whole thing, of course, but really, the only person you're damaging is yourself.

[ 21. May 2003, 10:41: Message edited by: Erin ]

I had no idea about your illness. You can choose to believe that or not, but its the truth.

Posted by eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
I think I've only been in to All Saints two or three times. Yes, I know what its about, but I don't read the threads there. I'm sure not everyone reads all the sections....

Having thought about all this, there seems to be clear expectations as to how we should approach this site - as a community, to which we should be prepared to invest emotional as well as intellectual energy - and both acknowledgment and agreement with the hierarchical way in which it is organised and those in the positions which afford them 'superiority'.

I recognise I'm not on that wavelength and that most people like the ethos of whats being done here.
I like the discussions, but I don't think I feel the same way about this place that many others appear to.

MM no-one can dictacte your or anyone else's expectations as you log on to this site. But one criticism that has been levelled at you on the other thread is that you do not take an interest in other people here as people. Again, it's your prerogative not to, but you might find yourself attracting less flames if you took the time to do so.

There are two threads which I never used to read and which I now scan through occasionally, not because I normally take an active interest in the content or post myself, but because I have discovered they are good ways to find out what is going on in people's lives, and particularly if they are going through difficult times. They are "Monthly prayer requests" and "TICTH".

Again, no obligation, but taking a look there from time to time might improve your stock and who knows? give some more credibility to your causes. You might even discover what "community" means in the context of the Ship.

I think I am out of step with the dominant ethos here. I'm happy about that as I am not looking for virtual 'community' in the way it has been described.

I know I am not the only one who feels like this. Its clearly a minority view, though....

See, this is the thing, Mike. From the perspective of those of us who do see it that way, you appear to take great delight in coming in here and shitting all over that. I don't know if that's your intent or not, but that's how it looks from here.

No one's asking you to embrace the community aspect with open arms. The only thing we ask is that you recognize that others do and conduct yourself accordingly.

(And if you say you didn't read the AS post, then I believe you.)

Posted by Dyfrig (# 15) on :

Has anyone noticed the connection between the trotting out of the complaint "it's only a website, it doesn't matter" and a posting average of at least 1 post every single day since they registered?

Or in merseymike's case, a daily posting average of 6.

An observation:

You know when somebody makes a comment to a Canadian about their bad timing, it is customary for us to say a little more then "I wouldn't have known." Must be a cultural thing I guess to throw the word "sorry" in there some where. Yeah, we don't have to apologise, but we just culuturall feel the need to do that. I'm not expecting or asking MM to live up/down to that; but, it is one example of the subtle cultural differences found on a board.

Posted by MatrixUK (# 3452) on :

MM you seem to be saying that although you're aware that most of the users of these boards treat them as a community, you choose not to do so, and therefore feel free to shit all over it.

I just can't find a polite way of saying this, so i'll just say it - please fuck off.

There is a bit of an odd disconnect between the number of posts and the contention that "it's just a website". It is more than just a website, mostly because it's one of the more well-conceived bulletin boards, which are an extension of one of the most terrific web magazines (even if none of you look at it). I say that, even though I only look daily at Purgatory, Hell, the Styx and Kerygmania. And I also do not regard web community as a substitute for real life.

So, Matrix, I'd agree with most of your post, except for the part with the swearing, but I've heard rumors that you were dissing me in the cafe.

Disagreeing, never dissing....far too polite don't ya know?

Why, Laura ? I like discussion, and the web is a good place to do it. I can't see why frequent posting and a view of SoF as 'community' need to go together.

MM,

I understand that you don't think of this as a community. You have made that clear. But you seem to behave as if it oughtn't to be a community, or that those who care about it as such are pathetic losers (even if they post far less often than you do), while you're above it all. If this be so, you ought not be surprised if people react badly to your patronizing attitude.

I'm not currently deeply pissed off at you as many here appear to be, but I do think that, if anything, you've been cut a lot of extra slack here because your intolerance is liberal intolerance. If an evangelical had been as nasty about liberals as you have been about evangelicals, I doubt he or she would still be around.

Posted by Moth (# 2589) on :

It seems to me that if someone wants to debate on the boards but not become part of the community, they need to be particularly careful to stick rigidly to the rules of debating and neverattack anyone ad hominem. If you want to make little jokes and asides, let alone personal attacks, you need to keep up with how people are feeling, as expressed on the relevant boards.

I find it ironic that this whole thing started because MerseyMike said that Erin bored him. MerseyMike bores me, as all his posts bang on about the same things and from the same viewpoint. I don't tell him that he bores me, I just avoid engaging him in debate, and after a while I have reached the point where I simply scroll through his posts in Purgatory. I would advise him to do the same to Erin's when she posts in her personal capacity.

Posted by snowgoose (# 4394) on :

What Laura said! [Not worthy!]

..and what Moth said as well.

We had a whole stompin' "Is SOF a community?" a while back, and while the issue was kind of unresolved, my contention was that it is at least a place to encourage community.

When I read the post about Erin's tests on the prayer thread, I felt my stomach drop. Over the last few days, as I have been going on about my business, She has crossed my mind and the worry returns, accompanied by prayer, and even a little lump in the throat, I'm not ashamed to say. Even though Erin lives in Buttfuck, Florida and I never met her and concievably never will, and even though I may not agree with everything she has to say, she has provided me with laughs, insight, straight talk, and an example of self-assurance. I've grown to care about what happens to her.

SO when I read sniggery little remarks about Erin's blood pressure--which were just objects d' art of bad, bad, BAD fucking timing--I was furious. I waited till the fury passed to expand on my "shit timing" comment because my anger was based on the prayer thread post, and I wasn't sure Erin wanted someone who has stated the community aspects of the Ship are meaningless to know her personal shit.

Merseymike, how hard is it to say, "I wasn't aware of the prayer thread, but I can see how some of my comments came at a bad time"?

As to sucking up---I felt exactly the same way when Chastmastr's cat died, and (sorry,Chast honey) what has he got to offer me authority-wise other than bad poetry and a plug on Lonk-o-rama?

quote:
... bad poetry ...

[Eek!]

b-b-b-

[Eek!]

b-b-b-

[Paranoid]

B-B-B- BAD??

BAWWWLLLL... [Waterworks]

BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA! [Killing me]

Psych! [Two face]

David
knows his poetry isn't great, but 'tis all a game
so fear not, Kelly, all is well, he loves you just the same
[Love]

[Big Grin]

Sorry, I was making a point. Will craft peace offering for your poetry thread.

quote:
Why, Laura ? I like discussion, and the web is a good place to do it. I can't see why frequent posting and a view of SoF as 'community' need to go together.

So how exactly do bald statements of your opinion and how much you disapprove of other opinions constitute "discussion"?

If you were to actually engage in discussion in the majority of your posts, you would have some respect here.

As it stands, regularly ramming your opinions down others throats without engaging in reasoned discussion renders you obnoxious to the vast majority of posters.

But then that doesn't matter, does it. Because this is just a website, and serves no purpose other than to make you feel good. Other people are of no significance whatsoever (other than as a good target for cutting down to size), which is why you would never dream of apologising, unless you were forced to.

I'm asking myself exactly why I should not consider you to be a troll and I'm struggling to find a satisfactory answer. Can anyone help me with this one?

I work in a city about an hour from where I live. I do not take an active part in the civic life of the city where I work. I don't vote here, go to church here, sleep here, or have relationships with many people here. For all intents and purposes, I am not a part of this community even though I spend a fair amount of time and money here.

However, I recognize that there is a community in this city. I respect that community. I do not paint graffiti on the walls. I do not bad mouth the police. I am polite in traffic. I do not disrupt this community, even though I do not choose to be a part of it. I feel like it's the least I can do, both out of basic human decency and because of the fact that the community serves my needs even though I am not part of it.

Merseymike, when you are offline do you treat people and communities the same way you do online? Or do you feel justified in treating us differently just because you'll never see most of us face-to-face?

[Scottie, Scottie, Scottie - small things can make a huge difference.]

[ 21. May 2003, 21:29: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

I will , without hesitation, apologise for making comments which may well have appeared grossly insensitive. I may be combative, and say what I think, but if I had known about the tests then I would have not used those examples or made those comments.

However, I'm not about to pretend that I see things in the same way as some of my critics, or that my feelings about the Ship will change. To be honest, it rather feels like 'do things the way we want, or you don't fit in here....', which I think is probably the case.

Posted by Kenwritez (# 3238) on :

quote:
I will , without hesitation, apologise for making comments which may well have appeared grossly insensitive. I may be combative, and say what I think, but if I had known about the tests then I would have not used those examples or made those comments.

Yes, you say you will apologize, but you don't apologize, and that is a core issue why you're getting so many negative reactions. You keep on about how you don't see things the way other people here do, and that you see no reason why you should.

Unfortunately, no one here is telling you, "You must agree with me on this issue" or, "You must agree with the Shipmates on everything."

What people are saying is that you are relentlessly belligerent, single-issue and bad mannered in that you're unwilling to abide by the guidelines that govern human community.

You don't believe the SoF is a community? Fine. Your choice. But lots of other people here do believe it, so if you want to interact with people here in a reasonable manner, it falls upon you to respect their belief in this "community" regardless of how you feel about it.

When you visit someone, do you wipe your feet before entering their home or do you decide to track dogshit into their house just because you don't think it's a "proper" house?

quote:
However, I'm not about to pretend that I see things in the same way as some of my critics, or that my feelings about the Ship will change. To be honest, it rather feels like 'do things the way we want, or you don't fit in here....', which I think is probably the case.

Since I'm not every other Shipmate, I'll speak for myself. The only thing I want from you is nothing more than common courtesy toward me in the Ship. Treat me as a human being, not as a stereotype. You dislike or disagree with my opinions? Great--let's discuss. That is the Tao here on SoF. If you don't follow the Tao, then you are correct; you don't fit in, and your ill-fitting is your own choice.

Continual and snide personal attacks coupled with gross generalizations are not the way to get your points across successfully, unless, and I mean unless, your only desire is to paint yourself as a total horse's ass.

Reform Boy - too little too late.

Troll.

Seems like you've already made your mind up - doesn't it.

There's a start, Mike. Go ahead and take the second step: apologize for taking the bait way, way, way too hard. True, Erin baited all the Michael Moore admirers on the Bowling For Columbine thread with a trollish unsupported statement that he was a "propaganda whore." One of the newbies, who appeared to be used to trollish statements from posting elsewhere, did the right thing and brushed it aside with, "c'mon, he's not that bad, if it's propaganda, back it up."

What's so tough about that, Mike? You gave three salvos back about anyone who seriously criticizes Michael Moore being exactly the kind of right wing idiot he is making fun of. You showed no signs of stopping. No wonder Erin went off like a Roman candle. You think it unnecessary to apologize for jumping straight into "Erin should be fired, Erin is psychologically dependent on the Ship, and your critics on The Ship are some kind of co-dependent enablers?"

Apologize.

You know, if you did, you might get Erin to say, "Yeah maybe newbies might see what I did as a trollish move, but I tell the refs to call a loose game in Purgatory. Welcome to the Big Leagues of Christian debate, newbies."

Or something.

Oh what the Hell, I’ll set a good example. I apologize for interpreting Ley Druid’s posts as “bait” recently because he unapologetically referred to all Shipmates (again) as being “without the balls or brains to debate Father Gregory” several months ago. I went overboard making damn sure he sees us as neither.

Ley Druid, I hope I’ve convinced you, even if you still refuse to apologize.

Massive crosspost. I was responding to MM at the bottom of page 4.

quote:
Originally posted by Reform Boy:
Seems like you've already made your mind up - doesn't it.

You have made my mind up. You can also change it back. I won't hold my brath though.

[HOSTLY APPEARANCE UNDER THE BRIDGE]

You all seem to be doing quite well. Points being scored all around, though some of you seem to limit yourself to kicking shins.

However, with regards to the primary vein of this thread, it is meant to address trolling. This is a topic about which there is plenty to snarl about. Merseymike, for the most part, is not really a troll. He's more of a senseless gibbering idiot with Tourette's syndrome and a crocadilian fixation. This useless walking bladder really should be cornered on other threads...
...IF you want this thread to have much chance of talking about trolls.

Hey, listen... billy goats.

[HOST SHRUGS AND LETS THE SCREAMING RESUME]

I wish to make an apology to Merseymike for labelling him a troll.

Merseymike, I apologise for calling you a troll.

Although I feel that he has displayed some behaviour which may be interpreted as characteristic of a troll, and has a posting style which may be seen as antisocial, in general he is here to debate to a certain extent.

I have seen him make some accommodation of his behaviour to this community in the past, so I do not beleive that he is completely without regard for it.

I feel that it is counterproductive to back him up against a wall, as he is particularly well adapted to repelling direct attacks.

You often irritate the hell out of me, but you do represent a challenge that I am the richer for. Whether that is the case for the majority of less robust Shipmates, I cannot say.

Pax

(sorry RooK - this seems to be the only current thread bashing MM, and to start a new one to apologise seems particularly inept)

The thing is with all this is that you are all going to turn into mr and mrs pananoids if you don't all stop accusing people at the drop of the hat of being a troll.

Posted by Lifeman (# 579) on :

Like several other on this thread, Joanne was before my time on the Ship.

What was the outcome with her? did she jump or was she pushed?

It sounds like something must have really been eating her up (I assume that most trolls have a reason for trolling?).

Posted by Fibonacci's Number (# 2183) on :

Hi Lifeman, check the link Paul W posted earlier.

quote:
Originally posted by Paul W:
quote:

Moo

No, it's just right down the bottom.

History of the Ship

Paul W

I've had to re-activate this thread because David has annoyingly closed the 'Hello I'm drunk' thread.

I found the above thread of interest because I have sometimes come back from the pub after one too many beers and decided to do a bit of late trolling; I'm sure that alchohol has induced me to turn into a troll on more than one occaision.

It could be that there is a link between booze and trolling - perhaps scientists are currently researching this!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Lifeman:
perhaps scientists are currently researching this

Nope. Trolls are just far too boring. Drunk ones doubly so. More interesting things in the world to research.

I've never heard of trolls described as boring! [Confused]

Posted by Chapelhead (# 1143) on :

quote:
I've never heard of trolls described as boring! [Confused]

I've never heard them described as anything other than boring.

I will not have my brilliant thread bent to serve the purposes of a drunk troll.

My Helltithe is terminated effective immediately. Let nature, red in tooth and claw, take its course.

Well Scot,

You did want to explore trolling [Snigger]

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

Well, Lifeman, by the sound of it, Scot would like to explore your intestines with that red tooth and claw of his [Wink] .

An important question, for me, remains unanswered.

How did the word 'troll' come to be used in this context? I always thought that a troll was a kind of Norwegion goblin [Confused]

Posted by Og: Thread Killer (# 3200) on :

I give Lifeman a 0.7 out of 10 troll score on this one. Far too obvious.

He may be a master of comedy assessment (though that is still under discussion), but clearly fails the "read all threads" test. I refer, of course, to this thread in the the Styx

Thank you Alan,

That link was useful and illuminating.

Posted by Edward Green (# 46) on :

The nice thing about SoF is that when you do slip a crafty troll into a post because you are pissed off your friends smack you down gently.

Works for me.

Lifeman, you seem to be bent on outing yourself as having troll tendancies. Either fulfil these inner desires with some imagination and flair, or just take part in discussions like the rest of us - with sensible, fun and interesting posts. If you are capable of such.

You are getting really boring.

What ChrisT said...

quote:
Originally posted by Edward Green:
The nice thing about SoF is that when you do slip a crafty troll into a post because you are pissed off your friends smack you down gently.

Works for me.

Gently? Gently? What does this word mean?

Slap someone down gently?

Walks off muttering to herself

Miss Cow, it has been known for shipmates to be slapped down gently; even in hell........ [Wink]

[No, you're getting a hard slap. That wasn't worth saying even once, let alone twice.]

[ 29. May 2003, 14:18: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

Chris and Matrix, you don't quite get it. Our resident "Master of Comedy Assessment" has the distinctly anti-comedy habit of picking up something that elicits a weak chuckle at best and beating the fucking thing into its individual molecules for months afterwards.

You've got a point Erin but what you've described is exactly the way many 'professional' comedians make a living; Bernard Manning is notorious for it and as far as I can see, so is Andrew Dice Clay.

I'm not sure about Tom Green though - he seems to be a genuine original talent.

Posted by The One and Only Nanny Ogg (# 1176) on :

Now come on Lifeman - do you really want to be a troll for the rest of your life here on the ship?

What with the constant "clip clip clop" of Billy Goats Gruff over your bridge you won't get any sleep - and believe me the older you get the more sleep you need. [Snore]

Also, surely it's just a little too hot for trolls in hell? It has been said that slowness of thought comes about from the effect of heat on the troll brain (being made of silicon).

Now if your brain was deep frozen you would be surprisingly intelligent [Big Grin]

Lifeman is not even a good journeymantroll. Real mastertrolls do not call attention to themselves as trolls, only wannabe weenies who can't get it right.

Would any of the bunnies on here be willing to do a Bugs impersonation and say the most appropriate one word response to Lifeman's little foray into self-promotion?

A post by Nanny Ogg followed by a post by Og!

I take on board the points made but I think that things are being taken a little too seriously. [Smile]

I'm not trying to present myself as a 'journeyman troll' (whatever that is); just admitting to have done a little trolling in the past, and that was often as not never meant to be taken seriously (I've been genuinely surprised at times just what some Shipmates do take seriously [Confused] )

Frankly, trolling is quite unnecessary these days when you look at the depths (and lengths)of abuse that certain very vocal shipmates go to (a recent thread springs to mind which was a war between a transatlantic duo - who need trolls with that going on?) [Frown]

Hmmmm....a "Master" doesn't know what a journeyman is?

[Roll Eyes]

quote:
A post by Nanny Ogg followed by a post by Og!

Those Oggs get everywhere [Snigger]

quote:
I take on board the points made but I think that things are being taken a little too seriously. [Smile]
Maybe my SOH is a little to subtle? [Wink]

Or does someone not read the same books? [Razz]

According to my two daughters (7 & 5) Trolls hide under the table and steal your best chips (Americans read "fries") when your not looking.
Needless to say if I catch any of you under my dinner table I'll feed you to the fish.

[Paranoid]

quote:
According to my two daughters (7 & 5) Trolls hide under the table and steal your best chips (Americans read "fries") when your not looking.
Needless to say if I catch any of you under my dinner table I'll feed you to the fish.

[Paranoid]

Not worthy so much as to gather up the crumbs under your table... [Not worthy!]

This thread is getting to the point that it would'nt be out of place in heaven!

Surely, this has been the opposite of trolling? [Cool]

(actually, what is the correct adjective that is opposite to being a troll?)

You are all brilliant.

just amazing.

When one is dim, everyone around them seems brilliant.

quote:

JimT - I couldn't agree more. It's funny how the light always beats the darkness isn't it. Or how bright colours always catch the eye faster then dark.

[Not worthy!] [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!] [Not worthy!]

Ben26

quote:

You as well then eh?

Nevermind mate.

Are we really down to the childrens favourite reply to an insult "Yes you are, but what am I"?

And Lifeman, the difference between that thread and trolling is that trolls don't have an intention to clear the air, just pollute it even more.

fair point Chris but I have personally found this thread quite informative (and I don't think that the air has been cleared in the thread that I referred to... just made murkier!)

Now I am curious. Why don't you write a long and detailed description of exactly what you learned from this thread that you didn't already know, Lifeman.

Jim T
I don't see need to go into details but it has interesting enough in itself to learn about leading trolls of recent years; in particular the story of Joanne is quite astounding (I have a morbid fascination to meet her just to see what she's really like).

quote:
Jim T
I don't see need to go into details but it has interesting enough in itself to learn about leading trolls of recent years; in particular the story of Joanne is quite astounding (I have a morbid fascination to meet her just to see what she's really like).

I'm sure Erin could bring you her head on a plate [Snigger]

quote:
Originally posted by The One and Only Nanny Ogg:
quote:
Jim T

I'm sure Erin could bring you her head on a plate [Snigger]
Erin might prefer to put the two of you in a locked room (with viewing windows) and see what happens.

Moo

Thing is about jimt is that i jsut look at his avatar and lose all will to live.

To me thats his face, and I can't communicate with avatar images like that.

Note to self: *never* change avatar.

Whereas, Black Dog, you are faceless. As well as witless.

Good for you, JimT!

Moo

Moo;

You're surely not putting me in the same bracket as Joanne [Eek!]

BTW Jim, I find your avatar quite amusing [Smile]

[Repeating yourself doesn't make you more interesting.]

[ 02. June 2003, 15:22: Message edited by: sarkycow ]

No, I wouldn't put you in the same class as Joanne, Lifeman. She was quite malicious and managed to shut down about two dozen bulletin boards during her reign of terror. You don't have the brain cells to be dangerous.

But don't be discouraged Lifeman. Between all the people who have joined together to reply to you and another awe inspiring rendition of "Joanne and the reign of terror", isn't it nice to know that you have helped foster a greater feeling of community? [Smile]

I found something for you, LD.

Erin,

Since your idea of being dangerous is just swearing your head off at people, I don't suppose I am very dangerous nor do I see that it takes many braincells to be like that.

Er, no, my idea of being dangerous is bouncing some fuckwit off the boards. Letting loose with the expletives is just fun, especially when it clearly bothers you so much. If it didn't, you wouldn't bring it up every time you talked to me.

Ya jackass.

I would'nt call 'letting loose with expletives' either fun or irritating; I just don't think it's a very good advertisment for the Ship; especially since you are one of the administraters.

Anyway, I don't intend to waste time having a fruitless tarade with you on the lines of your thread with Merseymike.

quote:
I would'nt call 'letting loose with expletives' either fun or irritating; I just don't think it's a very good advertisment for the Ship; especially since you are one of the administraters.

Well, when Simon cares what you think, I'll give your half-assed opinions some credence. Until then, your words on the subject of what's good for the Ship are absolutely worthless.

quote:
Anyway, I don't intend to waste time having a fruitless tarade with you on the lines of your thread with Merseymike.
And yet, you continue to respond to me. Thine actions belie thy words, hypocrite.

[ 03. June 2003, 12:11: Message edited by: Erin ]

quote:

Note: Never, absolutely never, have I seen Erin use anything other than the proper language on boards other than Hell. If you had read the introduction to Hell, GetALifeMan, you would have noticed it warns visitors of the contentious nature of the discussions here. Strong language is allowed here, and regularly occurs.

Since when is that a bad advertisement for the Ship? There are many posters here who have joined precisely because we have a space such as Hell where feelings can be vented in animated ways - an practice not encouraged in many other Christian settings. And as for the 'tirade' with Merseymike, surely it's up to Erin and MM to decide whether it was fruitless or not?

Gosh Chris - i hate to correct you, but surely that should have been "GetALifeMuppet"?

Perhap, Matrix, perhaps. Or even GetALifeMuppet-Man.

A bad advertisment for the ship might consist, say, in us all being totally fake instead of human? Just a thought.

Good point Ben,

I'm sure that most of the insult hurling and name calling that goes on in Hell is often posters covering up inner hurts or insecurities. That kind of fakeness is a bad advert for the Ship -
I bet that if Erin and Merseymike met face to face, they would probably get on and realise that they had more in common with each other than they realised.

T

quote:
Good point Ben,

I'm sure that most of the insult hurling and name calling that goes on in Hell is often posters covering up inner hurts or insecurities. That kind of fakeness is a bad advert for the Ship -
I bet that if Erin and Merseymike met face to face, they would probably get on and realise that they had more in common with each other than they realised.

T

That's NOT what I said, Lifeman.

[Preview post would have helped that particular confusion, but I do get to point and laugh at your stupidity now.]

[ 03. June 2003, 22:50: Message edited by: RooK ]

quote:
Good point Ben,

I bet that if Erin and Merseymike met face to face, they would probably get on and realise that they had more in common with each other than they realise.

Nothing that I say here is fake, Lifeman. In fact, you are a genuine fuckwit, and the Ship would be genuinely a MUCH better place if you were to go away for a long period of time like you did when you got your pathetic ass kicked before.

Don't you have some puppies to kick?

quote:
Good point Ben,

T

Nah, we just do it for a laugh [Big Grin] [Two face] (bit like you, really [Wink] )

ghostly voice descends from on high: read the man's profile for goodness' sake

[More laughing and pointing. Similarity of the error suggest a glitch in the code, but I'm going to pick on you anyway.]

[ 03. June 2003, 22:52: Message edited by: RooK ]

ok, so he's changed it.... [Embarrassed]
nice one, Lifeman, you got me there [Roll Eyes] [Razz] [Big Grin]

I've fed two trolls tonight [Roll Eyes] . So I might be a bit stupid at this point in time [Roll Eyes] although I am certain that the above error was not my fault.

Not to self: Do NOT feed trolls.

No Ben, not your fault, the same thing happened to me - spoils the point made in the posts somewhat, doesn't it? [Roll Eyes]

Regarding the other point:
Lifeman made it clear in his early profile that he was here as a game to wind people up - looks like he's achieved it, too [Roll Eyes] [Help]

Lifeman has the dubious honor of being the only person who was ever banned from Hell. Unfortunately, it's not something we could enforce with the new software, unless we banned his sorry ass from the Ship completely.

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisT:
Note: Never, absolutely never, have I seen Erin use anything other than the proper language on boards other than Hell.

I don't wish to act as advocate for Lifeman. At the same time, this issue comes up frequently and it bothered me enough to ask for a ruling in Styx. Erin does in fact flame people people outside of Hell. The most recent instance comes from the infamous Bowlin g for Columbine thread.

When Erin said this:

quote:
Michael Moore is as much a propaganda whore as Leni Riefenstahl. And equally credible.
lapsed heathen said this:

quote:
oh come-on he's not that good but definitely much more credible If its propaganda refute it!
Sauerkraut stepped in with:

quote:
Erin,

May I do the honors?

and posted four links criticizing Moore. This brought the now infamous exchange:

MerseyMike:

quote:
Of course, if you are a right wing Republican, or an enthusiast for the current US regime, you won't appreciate his humour, and will post right wing refutations in response.

Now, who do I believe most? You, Erin and George. W. Bush ?

Erin:

quote:
You can believe whothefuckever you want, Mike, but DROP the "right wing" ad hominem when you're talking about me, or I'll see your ass in Hell.
If this were my first visit to The Ship, I would have seen this in this manner: Erin is a troll and dropped some flame bait with the unsupported assertion in Purgatory that Moore is a "propaganda whore." Eventually she found a Moore-lover who took the bait, and a flamefest ensued.

Even duchess became confused:

quote:
I know this is HELL so...
She had to be corrected by nicolemrw:

quote:
pssst! duchess, this is purgatory, not hell, so its ok.
It is not my first thread on The Ship, MerseyMike completely overreacted, Erin calmed down enough to be reached by MerseyMike, but he took the opportunity to play the pouty victim. It was clear this was not trolling, but the boilover of longstanding differences that remain unresolved.

It reminded me, though, of when newbie perfecta was briefly suspended. On a thread in Styx, I criticized Erin for using vulgar language with a newbie outside of Hell, defending the notion that he was not really a troll and should not have been so provoked with vulgar language outside of Hell. I see Purgatory as a place for hardball debate but not vulgar exchanges that are guaranteed to result in escalation of tension and degrading of serious discussion. An admin came back, and Erin confirmed, that there are no restrictions on vulgarity anywhere. It is only a guideline for boards outside of Hell. The word was, "if you can take the consequences, say anything you want anywhere."

I don't agree with this policy, but it is the policy. When Erin flames outside of Hell it is usually with some kind of provocation. That I will say. But as far as ChrisT's statement goes, it is not true. She flames when she feels justified, and has said that as far as she is concerned you can use any kind of language you want anywhere so long as you are willing to live with the consequences of the content. I will say that in my opinion it is one of the reasons why the site attracts so many trolls, which is the subject of this thread.

And because this is Hell, I suppose I should add that I don't give a goddam if any admin thinks it's too freaking Purgatorial or Styxitorial.

Well shit, JimT (are you related?). You mean I can't make wide-sweeping and badly researched statements for the single reason of slapping a troll? You spoil my fun [Big Grin]

However I do have to take umbrage at:

quote:
I will say that in my opinion it is one of the reasons why the site attracts so many trolls
As compared to many places I know about on the web, the Ship actually has far fewer trolls. I'm pretty sure that some people could relate their experiences on other BBS that would provide substantial proof. However I stand ready to be corrected.

IME, the more relaxed we are with the rules, the less trollery we attract. Most people zero in on us because they think we're uptight freaks with the proverbial stick shoved up our collective ass about such things as language, but when they actually come here and see that our official policy is "so?", they lose interest.

I am knocking on all kinds of wood here, but so far our true trolls have been few and far between. What most people on this board count as mind-blowingly offensive trollery here tends to be regarded as simple assholery elsewhere. I'm not sure why. We have had maybe half a dozen true trolls in our five year lifespan.

Well, I suppose the false trolls provide a bit of fun for a season. A bit like my cat - he does love to play with the mice he catches for a while before disposing of them........

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
I am knocking on all kinds of wood here

Excuse me?

Erin,

I wonder if you be kind enough (purlely for my interest) to list the six True Trolls that you have referred to, in order success in trolling.

Thanking you

Lifeman

ChrisT, didn't mean to spoil your fun and Erin I agree with you. True trolls are going to be attracted to a Christian Unrest website like flies to...animal dung.

You're on your own responding to "knock on wood." I'm not sure how many entendres there are in there but there have to be at least two.

Crosspost. Wouldn't Wood's "top five anythings" be a more appropriate place for that? (Sorry, no room for number six).

Jim,

If Erin would be kind enough to list her top five trolls on Wood's thread, that would be much appreciated.

Lifeman, are you hoping you'll be in there? Because you will be sadly dissapointed. You are hardly a beginner troll, let alone worthy of mentioning.

Oops, DNFTT.

Fortunately their work is not in public view for you to try and copy, Lifeman. So my list of the six true trolls, in NO particular order:

NOTE: only one non-Christian on this list.
*Possibly gets a bye, because there is the chance that he actually believed the crap he posted.

Thanks Erin,

The only one of those trolls I've heard of is Manalive (and that's only because some people thought that I was he when I first started posting). If he's anything to go by (from what I was told) I don't think I'd want to copy any of them.

Jim Powell and max chapman were the same person, that i'm 90% sure of. If max chapman was not jim powell then it was someone else who was acting as a voice for jim powell.

'They' were both dreaded theimeites and i can guarentee that 'they' believed what they preached and were not trolls.

Jim powell and his alter ego used to post on churchnet and jim powell was a rancher or a farmer in texas as I recall.

Not sure if this constitutes a troll question, but Erin once said this:

quote:
I can't do it. I can't flame a guy who admits he has a tiny tallywhacker.
Does anyone remember who provoked this remark and why? Just curious.

IIRC that was IBP, not a troll, Kelly. However, I think your question is timely, given Erin's remarkably measured response to Lifeman.

Do you think she feels pity for one who has shown himself to have a tiny trollywhacker?

Posted by Divine Outlaw-Dwarf (# 2252) on :

Kyralessa seems to be doing fairly well in the under the bridge stakes at the moment. [Roll Eyes]

Posted by thegreent (# 3571) on :

just what i was thinking....... wonder how much longer she's got... [Devil]

If s/he's the best troll in the running we're in lovely shape.

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
If s/he's the best troll in the running we're in lovely shape.

You call that lovely shape? We have one newbie who's just pissing people off, and one mid-termer who's making thinly disguised threats then not carrying them out. Poor show, if you ask me.

I want to see Erin the Alligator in action again!

Eh, Chris, I was just issuing an opinion, an observer's opinion. I'm not one actually getting my hands into the threads and trying to fix them. Or fix the posters.

So I bow to your superior insight. Assuming it is superior.

Ah, the sweet smell of enlightenment on the summer breeze. Thanks, scot.

Chris T,

If I understand you correctly, there are only two trolls (of any note) who are presently active.

That sounds pretty good to me when there are well over 4000 posters registered. [Confused]

quote:
and one mid-termer who's making thinly disguised threats then not carrying them out.

?

Janine - fair enough, I posted my opinion as well. And there's nothing superior about me, I just know some of what goes on behind the scenes.

Lifeman - I was being a tad sarcastic. Let me explain. I like fireworks, arguments and spats. Therefore with only a handful of people 'rocking the boat' it's a "poor show" that we won't be getting much of that. Not that I want trolls particularly, but they do give me entertainment when they are slapped and thrown overboard.Hence:
quote:

Call me voyeuristic and nasty if you want.

Divine - I meant Lifeman. That's just my opinion from my observation, of course.

Thank you, just like to know what's going on! [Cool]

quote:
quote:
Call me voyeuristic and nasty if you want.

I bet you're not alone.
I also bet that millions of people sit in front of the TV thinking similar thoughts when somebody is kicked off a "reality" show.

One thing about the Ship, and I believe this is a signature for someone at the moment, is something someone said about Erin:

quote:
The difference is when Erin calls someone a fuckwit it is normally true (paraphrased)
That makes me feel a little less nasty [Smile]

Chris T,

I've been percieved as minor troll at times but I don't think I've made any threats - I'm much to mild mannered for that. [Smile]

Posted by Timothy L (# 2170) on :

Hey, can't we all just get alARHG (Timothy L is kicked to death by a pack of rabid cute puppies)...

Good to hear from you again Timothy.

Lifean, I agree that you are mild-mannered. However there have been several posts of your lately that I consider to have given away your intent to troll (to whatever depth). That, in my book, is making threats. In the same way that one when joking with a friend could say "is that a threat or a promise?".

The real problem for me is that you in no way measure up to a real troll - you are but a pale imitation, a shadow, a fake copier of trolling tendencies. You have proved yourself to be no more interesting than a rather mediocre act on "Stars in Their Eyes".

Come on ChrisT - at least let Lifeman practise.

How can you become a full heavyweight troll without a few gentle spars now and again? [Wink]

Fair point Chris,

I'll never be a great troll and that's because I could'nt take the vocation seriously enough. Some past instances of 'trolling' on my part have'nt been meant seriously at all and to my amusement I've been taken seriously. For example, I once posted a thread in Hell comparing America today to the ancient Roman empire (for example WWF is the new form of gladiators) and it was only meant to a joke - it got moved to purgatory! [Big Grin]

quote:
For example, I once posted a thread in Hell comparing America today to the ancient Roman empire (for example WWF is the new form of gladiators) and it was only meant to a joke - it got moved to purgatory! [Big Grin]

That was my revenge on you for being such a low-life dickhead [Big Grin]

Viki

Are you sure that wasn't revenge on some slight by Purgatory hosts?

So I killed two birds with one stone? Got a problem with that? I sincerely hope so, since I've a new toasting fork here, and it needs to be christened with someone's blood...

quote:
Originally posted by The One and Only Nanny Ogg:
Come on ChrisT - at least let Lifeman practise.

How can you become a full heavyweight troll without a few gentle spars now and again? [Wink]

[Eek!]

GASP.

Lifeman is liza's sock puppet.

quote:
I'll never be a great troll and that's because I could'nt take the vocation seriously enough. Some past instances of 'trolling' on my part have'nt been meant seriously at all and to my amusement I've been taken seriously

So you admit you are an arsehole?

I don't think a quite said that - I normally
regard 'arseholes' as the kind of people who find
it difficult to express themselves without using expletives [Big Grin]

quote:
'arseholes'

Talking of which, is Jesuitical YoungMalePerson's recent assault on Purgatory an attempt at a decent troll, or just lashing out at Stoo for closing the other scat thread?

Damn it, Lifeman, could you be any more sanctimonious? You remind me of the kid who was top of the class, the one with the very shiny shoes and very proud parents, who would smile sweetly with just a hint of a sneer as others failed to attain his "standards".

For your reference, perchance it be something you encounter again:

troll = arsehole
Lifeman = troll (albeit a crap one)

therefore

Lifeman = arsehole

[that's one less beer, Chris]

[ 09. June 2003, 15:39: Message edited by: Erin ]

Chris, In answer to your question, I could actually be more sanctimonious but I refrain from doing so lest it cause you any further offence, the avoidance of which is more important to me than furthering my posts. [Love]

Are trolls saved by grace or by good works? [Help]

Posted by Kyralessa (# 4568) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:

Nope.

Posted by Joyeux (# 3851) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:

Pickling them in a barrel might work, or perhaps placing them in a wax museum would be better (coated in wax first, of course!)

I don't know any bank that would agree to save a troll in a safety deposit box, do you?

I think it's been decided that on another thread that a vindaloo melts their insides...

Lime pickle anyone?

Why should Vindaloo attak trolls any more than anyone else? [Confused]

(for the record, I never order anything hotter than Rogan Josh [Cool] )

Lifeman, gee, I don't know what to say. You're so ... kind [Tear]

PS - a recommendation: next time order a makhani - you might like it. Imagine a spicier korma. Mmmmmm.

Posted by madferret (# 3353) on :

So who was the last person to earn the troll avatar? And who's next...? [Devil]

PS I'm NOT volunteering, ok! [Paranoid]

quote:
Why should Vindaloo attak trolls any more than anyone else? [Confused]

(for the record, I never order anything hotter than Rogan Josh [Cool] )

On one of the flyswatting threads we had a few days back, someone said that Vindaloo dissolves "first your larynx then your sphincter." A clever soul (coughmecough) pointed out that if vindaloo dissolved sphincters, it should work on trolls.

Oh, if you want something really unbearable, try a Malaysian Chicken laksa. Its an excruciatingly hot soup that manages to make a vindaloo seem like a korma even though its got lots of coconut milk.
Any Mancunians, the example at the Malaysian restaurant in Chinatown is particularly evil.

Posted by TimSaunders (# 2643) on :

Manalive.

He was around the first time I ever encountered the Ship. I thought that he was, basically, a fundie who just went too far. Clearly I was wrong?

It's 1.30 am and I've just gor back from an Indian restaurant but I avoided having a vindaloo
(just in case).

Ounce of prevention, etc.

Posted by Wood (# 7) on :

quote:
Originally posted by TimSaunders:
Manalive.

He was around the first time I ever encountered the Ship. I thought that he was, basically, a fundie who just went too far. Clearly I was wrong?

he was around the first time I encountered the Ship too.

You were wrong, because he was thick, too.

Posted by Arrietty (# 45) on :

Manalive just wouldn't let it lie.

Wood, I thought you'd been around a similar amount of time as me. I'd been here for a good few months, at least, before manalive made his debut.

Posted by Wood (# 7) on :

Nope. I arrived last quarter 1999.

Ahh, the olde days, eh?

© Ship of Fools 2016