Thread: AS: The Ship of Fools Recipe Book Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000352

Posted by Motherboard (# 54) on :

Motherboard and dsiegmund cordially invite you to participate in the Ship of Fools Cookbook. We have such wonderful cooks on board who love to share thier gifts with us at ship meets or inviting us into thier homes for parties.

I don't know how many of you are going to join us, but we'll take all comers! We will divide them into food categories, try to make it easy for cooks in any country with dual cups and liter equivalents.

other than the recipes there are other considerations:
1) I would very much like British and Australian people to help with this, and if you are interested, please PM me. (Babybear, you are first on my list!) [Big Grin]
2) If anyone has friends or relatives who own a print shop you can PM me too. I have a friend who are printers, but will consider any others.
3) Next will be cost. I don't have a clue, as I don't know what it will cost to print and ship.
4) How many recipes can you post? As many as you would like, I think. Either post me or dsiegmund on PM or on this thread.
5) How long do I have to send recipes? Good question. I have to put a time limit on it, but I will post that later.

Just consider this and pray for us, this is a labor of love, and hope you will enjoy the book when it is finished.

Love and saintly cooking hugs,
Motherboard and d siegmund

[edited title case]

[ 29. March 2004, 21:08: Message edited by: Maddie ]

Posted by dolphy (# 862) on :

[Not worthy!] Motherboard [Love]

Count me in [Wink]

Posted by marmot (# 479) on :

How about posting it online in its own corner of the Ship? Anyone who wants a printed copy can bear the cost themselves. That way we can add to it as people prepare their best dishes at future shipmeets.

Posted by Amorya (# 2652) on :

I can do page layout if you want - giving you a PDF file that you could send straight to the printers.

I don't expect cost would be loads for a recipe book. I think my local print shop does spiral binding for a pound or two, and black and white pages for 4 or 5 pence (for a one off). If they were doing large quantities, the cost per page would go down significantly.

Amorya

Posted by dsiegmund (# 908) on :

Hopes someone mentions the recipe book in MW. What would the beverage section be without them?

Posted by bessie rosebride (# 1738) on :

This is so exciting!
Thanks to both, Motherboard and dsiegmund. [Not worthy!]

I'll be submitting shortly. So we just write the recipe as we locally measure it? Y'all will have conversion tables or something?

MARMOTA [Angel] what a great idea!
[Yipee] An online recipe book. [Yipee]

And thanks for mentioning the Joy of Cooking for the conversion chart. I don't have the book myself, but I'm sure someone will help with that.

Oh, this is becoming a wonderful adventure for "foodies"......

Love and yummy hugs,
Motherboard

[ 16. July 2003, 03:25: Message edited by: Motherboard ]

Posted by Lyda Rose of Sharon (# 4544) on :

I hope everyone has checked out the Recipe thread in Heaven pg 4. There are some real possibilities there. [Big Grin]

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

OOOh, this is brilliant. Thanks, Motherboard!

Posted by Bronwyn (# 52) on :

Wow would love to help and submit a recipie

Posted by Lady G (# 3746) on :

A stunning idea.

What would the slant of the book be? Just a general collection? a medley of obscure recipes? a random collection of cakes? recipes from each county represented on the ship? receipes for those on a shoe string?

To add to marmot's idea - if this was going to be a fundraiser, you could charge a couple of pounds to download the book.

Should those recipes that are Meet favorites merit their own chapter or should they be scattered in different sections with a notation like "Colorado Meet New Mexico Chili"?

The online version sounds like a good idea. Take a look at Epicurious.com It is a large, searchable cookbook.

Posted by Lots of Yay (# 2790) on :

Ooh ooh! Count me in! Can't wait!

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

[Not worthy!] ME TOO [Not worthy!]

PS: If anyone has any recipes Miss Molly ever posted, I think they should be in there somewhere.

[Love] [Tear]

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

dsiegmund - I promise, I will find an avatar I like, soon! Then you can have your face back...

Is it Ariel who has a great quince/lamb recipe? I may have that filed -

Now if only I can actually write down actual measurements. Mamman taught me to use my hands.

Janine,

The avatar is I'm sure public property, so don't worry about using it. Did Maman teach you to make good rice and gravy?

Posted by IntellectByProxy (# 3185) on :

<sticks hand in the air at the back of class> Oooh oooh, Miiiiissssss, I have some great recipies what I made up myself miss.

Mmmmm fooooood.

Posted by sabine (# 3861) on :

Wonderful idea!

Since this is a spiritual board, will there be recipes for communion bread? (not that they would apply to my religion, but I've been around and know there has to be an answer for those tiny crispy pillow-shaped cracker-type things I've seen used.)

sabine

Posted by Miffy (# 1438) on :

Wasn't it Stoo who was responsible for those lethal SoF party punches? [Yipee] (my virtual bath has never recovered from the shock) [Frown] . We must include one of those.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Got to include Babybear's Chocolate Strawberries, as done during the Scarborough St Sim's weekend.

Mmmmmmmm ....

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

I'll donate my pecan honey crusted chicken, peanut butter nipple cookies, and sure-fire chocolate chip cookies. Sounds terrific.

I hope that if we do a section of faith themed recipes that someone will come up with a recipe for the beautifully named Nun's Sighs (Suspiros de Monja). I've never had it, but it's a Spanish desert like a beignet. There's also one called Nun's Tummies, but I don't know anything about what that one's like.

YUM,
dsiegmund, the Nun's tummies sound like mexican sopapillas. [Wink]

For the UK posters, the one, the only inimitable BABYBEAR has agreed to join the recipe committee, as has Dolphy. [Yipee] [Yipee]

Send those recipes NOW!
I have fudge from Beenie, Colorado chile from Jb and Regina Shoe's calabacitas recipes [Yipee]

Still negotiating for online space, and how to get paid for downloading recipes for the Organ Fund. <Rodin's the thinker smiley needed here>

Motherboard

Posted by BuzzyBee (# 3283) on :

Great idea. I'll send in my favourite veggie recipies. When's the deadline?

Motherboard,

I have 83MB of webspace left with my ISP. Do you think that would be enough for the cookbook? Or since there's going to be money involved would it be better for it to be with the Ship's domain?

Just about to send you mine Motherboard.

I have a feeling that this is going to been a great 'book'.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Peanut butter nipples and nun's tummies? Is this the T'n'T recipe book? [Eek!]

Posted by Gill B (# 112) on :

quote:
Originally posted by dsiegmund:
I hope that if we do a section of faith themed recipes that someone will come up with a recipe for the beautifully named Nun's Sighs (Suspiros de Monja). I've never had it, but it's a Spanish desert like a beignet. There's also one called Nun's Tummies, but I don't know anything about what that one's like.

The French have a sort of meringue known as Nun's Farts.

quote:
Originally posted by Gill B:

Here 'tis.

Posted by Jengie (# 273) on :

What sort of recipes do you want. My sister created a glorious ice-cream cake. Mine own tend to be more savoury, e.g. Smoked trout kedgeree

I should say quantities tend to be handfuls rather than exact measures.

Jengie

[ 18. July 2003, 15:40: Message edited by: Jengie ]

I'm impressed Chastmastr. The TNT section seems to be shaping up nicely. [Two face]

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

quote:
Originally posted by dsiegmund:
Hopes someone mentions the recipe book in MW. What would the beverage section be without them?

I slipped in a plug just now on Name that Chorus . [Big Grin]

[ 18. July 2003, 22:39: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posted by Zeke (# 3271) on :

Salivating with anticipation!

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:

Here 'tis.
I nearly spat my drink all over the screen when I reached the line: "This recipe makes one large fart."
-----
Just wanted to check the procedure. Do we PM our recipes to you, Motherboard? Please advise.

Send recipes to Motherboard, dsiegmund or babybear. We are the coordinating committee.

Everyone just send what you'd like and think that others would. I accept it all.

Motherboard

P.S. dsiegmund, we will chat about that ISP space, as soon as I hear from the "powers".

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

Harriett's Ham Delicious Sauce on its way to your pm box, Motherboard. [Wink]

Posted by Duo Seraphim (# 3251) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:
quote:

Here 'tis.
I nearly spat my drink all over the screen when I reached the line: "This recipe makes one large fart."

No doubt a companion to St. Agatha's Breasts - a concotion of marinated summer fruits in a mound covered with sweetened creme chantilly smoothed into a dome and decorated with a fresh raspberry as a nipple.

I am happy to PM you the recipe.

Posted by Amazing Grace (# 4754) on :

New here, but definitely interested in participating.

Anyone like chocolate truffles <innocent look>?

A group I participate in just had a recipe book printed by one of those "we'll bind your fundraiser cookbook" companies - could definitely contact The Committee for details if there is interest.

Charlotte (aka Amazing Grace)

Important note: Please provide conversion information for US/UK measurements and temperatures.

Posted by babybear (# 34) on :

I have started getting a few of the recipes together at SoF Cookbook.

The index page is very rough. It will probably contain links to "starters", "main course" etc, and then from there will be links to the individual recipes. There will also be links to a glossary page and a page with conversions.

What do people think about the format on the recipe pages? Are they clear, and easy to use? I was thnking that it might be an idea if people have pictures of their recipes for them to be included instead of the cookbook.gif that I have cobble together from the Purg and AS graphics.

While we are working on this project it will be easiest if I have it in my webspace. If anyone sees any spelling mistakes, errors or busted links please let me know.

I also need to know about the weight of 1 cup of:

In Beenster's fudge recipe all of the ingredients are given in metric. Does this cause a problem for North Americans? Do we need to convert the weights into cups for the recipe to be useful?

bb

Probably for some of us. I don't even own a kitchen scale... [Embarrassed]

CM is correct; Americans will need American measures. It's not just that we don't have kitchen scales (since we don't normally need them), it's also the sad but true fact that a lot of Americans (though hopefully not Shipmates) either wouldn't realize it was possible to convert or couldn't be bothered to do it. Considering the fact that all our packaged food has been labelled in both systems for many years, it really isn't all that difficult.

Re: the fudge. Some items will need to be in cups (sugar), chocolate would normally be in ounces. (American baking chocolate is scored to break into one ounce squares; I'm not sure about 'eating' chocolate bars.)

A quick check of my fridge shows that packaged pre-grated cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, jack) is 1oz = 28gr = 1/4cup. So that's probably a standard conversion for ordinary cheeses. Just off the top of my head, I think a standard 15/16oz can of chopped/diced tomatoes would be about 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 cups; being the sloppy cook I am, I've never measured it, I just use the whole can if the recipe calls for one cup.

I like the format for the calabacitas, with the metric on one side of the ingredients and the American on the other. I would suggest that every recipe be in that format.

I also suggest that all the instructions should be formatted as single steps, each in its own paragraph, separated by a blank line.

I suspect the cookbook will need a disclaimer/intro which explains that these recipes came from all over, and that due to differences in local versions of ingredients and conversion of measurements, they may not turn out perfectly the first time (especially the baked goods). And admitting that we didn't run a test kitchen!

Posted by tomb (# 174) on :

Jennifer, I would take poison before I would use "pre-grated" cheese. What a dis.gus.ting notion.

And my momma told me that "a pint's a pound"--but not an imperial pint, seemingly.

I suppose if I have to, I can convert to grams (damn, where did I put that slide rule?)

What about centigrams? decigrams? God, I hate the metric system.

Inasmuch as most of my recipes are a "pinch" of this; a "handful" of that, I'm not much on accuracy. It's the gestalt of the thing that counts. And if your guests develop convulsions after the meal, it's on account of your own poor judgement.

All that being said, the recipe for Colorado Shipmeet Chicken Marsala is winging its way to the cookbook mavens.

If they like that, I'll submit my recipes for Death By Pasta and Grunge Crepes.

Posted by JB (# 396) on :

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
If they like that, I'll submit my recipes for Death By Pasta and Grunge Crepes.

Why wait. send.

That's sweet, JB, but I think I'll wait. You probably just want them to use as keys to help you decode terrorist threats for NSA or Homeland Security.

I really don't want gummint thugs at my door because of bad cooking.

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
I really don't want gummint thugs at my door because of bad cooking.

I imagined they would come because they heard how good the food was at our shipmeet. Gummint thugs gotta eat, too.

quote:
Gummint thugs gotta eat, too
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Motherboard

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

Weight? Cups?

Wimps!

Just put stuff in until it feels or smells right.

Works for everything except cake & souffle.

Works better than measurements for bread.

Posted by Thumbprint (# 3056) on :

I must admit I've already pilfered Tomb's pasta sauce recipe from the Colorado Meet. Added a pinch of this, a smidgen of that...

Measurements? Do people really cook with those? [Wink]

T.

I agree that pre-grated cheese is dis.gust.ing. (Except for this half cheddar/half mozz that I get in bulk through my food co-op -- it's pretty good.) I have it in my frig because I have teens in the house who think boiling water on the stove to make mac and cheese from a box is gourmet cooking. They use the pre-grated cheese to make nachos in the microwave. Why waste good cheese and effort on people with no sense of taste?

I grew up with a mother who always followed recipes to the letter. She would chop up an onion, measure the stated 1/4 cup and then throw away the excess! And this was a recipe which would serve eight or more. [Roll Eyes] I didn't learn that you can cook by eyeball until I was an adult. On the other hand, people actively maneuvered to get on her list and receive a tin of Christmas cookies -- I've only met one person (a professional) who could bake cookies as good as my mom's.

Don't worry your pretty little head about those conversions, tomb; my slide rules are right here handy in my desk drawer and I like the metric system.

quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
In
Beenster's fudge recipe all of the ingredients are given in metric. Does this cause a problem for North Americans? Do we need to convert the weights into cups for the recipe to be useful?

bb

I think that if there's a conversion table in the book, that would be sufficient. I'd rather get more recipes in from as many shipmates as possible, which means making submitting the recipes as hassle-free as possible. What I think might be a bigger problem is that terms for ingredients don't always translate. For instance, beenster's recipe calls for "double cream" and I'm not sure what that is. Perhaps a glossary would be a good idea.

[ 26. July 2003, 04:19: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
For instance, beenster's recipe calls for "double cream" and I'm not sure what that is.

Really?? Well, you can't do better than read Delia's words of wisdom on the subject. (Delia is a Font of Wisdom for many people over here and her books are very popular because her recipes actually work and taste good.) What is your name for double cream, then - or do you not have this?

[ 26. July 2003, 07:29: Message edited by: Ariel ]

quote:
Originally posted by Thumbprint:
Measurements? Do people really cook with those? [Wink]

Are they want we more commonly call things like: a drizzle of oil, a pinch of salt, a slurp of wine etc? [Wink] [Razz]

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote from tomb
quote:
And my momma told me that "a pint's a pound"--but not an imperial pint, seemingly.
An American pint equals 2 8-ounce cups.
This is why I prefer to weigh dry ingredients.

Moo

Posted by jedijudy (# 1059) on :

I generally cook by the "dump and pour" method, myself. However... Cheese grits recipe on its way, Mobo!

For those despairing of finding grits in the local grocery, generally if you ask the manager he or she can order them...at least here in the States.

quote:
quote:
In
Beenster's fudge recipe all of the ingredients are given in metric. Does this cause a problem for North Americans? Do we need to convert the weights into cups for the recipe to be useful?

bb

I think that if there's a conversion table in the book, that would be sufficient. I'd rather get more recipes in from as many shipmates as possible, which means making submitting the recipes as hassle-free as possible. What I think might be a bigger problem is that terms for ingredients don't always translate. For instance, beenster's recipe calls for "double cream" and I'm not sure what that is. Perhaps a glossary would be a good idea.
Everyone should feel free to submit their recipes in whatever form they use at home. I'm more than happy to help with coming up with "measured" equivalents (both metric and English/American) and I know that there are shipmates who are bilingual cooks and can be consulted when an internet search or common sense doesn't provide an answer.

babybear's prototype includes a glossary. There was a thread about a year ago where we discussed the different terms, types of sugars, etc., and while I believe it is gone, the knowledge is still out there. (Btw, I'm guessing double cream would be something like heavy cream or whipping cream in the US.)

quote from jlg
quote:
Btw, I'm guessing double cream would be something like heavy cream or whipping cream in the US.
I have the impression that double cream has a higher fat content than anything you will find in an American supermarket.

Moo

Probably true, especially with the current "health" emphasis in the dairy section. But the question will be whether there is an acceptable substitute.

Which is why I pointed out that the cookbook should have a general disclaimer that the recipes hadn't been tested to make sure they worked OK with the substitutions.

It should only really be a problem in making candy and perhaps some of the more sophisticated dessert recipes, where the interactions of the particular forms of sugar and the fat contents of the chocolate or whatever are crucial to the results. But even so, a lot of baked goods, while they may turn out differently than the original recipe intended, still turn out in a yummy form that people are happy to eat.

Savory dishes, as has been pointed out ("Hey, I've already modified your recipe!"), are pretty forgiving of changes. Simple baked goods, such as cornbread, are also pretty resilient.

I think it would be nice if people also submitted a few "traditional" recipes from their own countries as well as their own favourite dishes. I never knew what grits was until recently. It might be fun to try out a few of these things. Yes I know, I could look it up on the internet but it's nicer to have a recipe from someone you've heard of that they know works. Assuming the ingredients are readily available in other countries, that is.

I like that idea, Ariel. And even if the recipe isn't entirely do-able (or just doesn't sound good to someone who didn't grow up with it), I find such exchanges to be a good way to increase our understanding of and appreciation of each other.

Here's another question. Is there a deadline by which you'd like to have the recipes? (I know the answer is "as soon as possible". My question is probably better translated as, "If I don't get my recipes to you in the next 24 hours, when I will be leaving on vacation, will I miss the boat entirely; or can I send them to you in 2 weeks?")
Thank you.
Mamacita, not trying to be a pain the neck

I have been rendering the recipes into HTML. So far I only have a very few recipes. Until more people send in recipes there is little I can do. I have also been trawling through the Recipe thread in Heaven.

The way that I am writing the SoF Cookbook webpages means that we will be able to add recipes to the selection as and when more recipes are submitted.

It might help people to submit recipes if we had a theme each fortnight. Since it is summer for most of us (and the Antipodean and southern African shipmates could probably do with being reminded of summer)- people please send me barbeque recipes. The nominal closing date for barbeque recipes is the 15th of August, but of course late comers will be able to sumbit too.

The barbeque recipes could be for meat, vegetarian, or sweet-stuff. I shall be submitting barbequed pineapple slices with ginger, and stuffed peppers with feta cheese and walnuts.

Please put your recipes on the Recipe thread in Heaven.

bb

Babybear, did you get the ones I emailed you?

I hope you're going to have a fish/seafood section. Life (and cookery books) would not be complete without one.

Motherboard,

To answer your question about the swede in my recipe, they are similar to turnips but much much nicer. They are large, round and yellow in colour...

If anyone could provide a link I would be most grateful.

[ 02. August 2003, 11:01: Message edited by: dolphy ]

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

quote:
I shall be submitting barbequed pineapple slices with ginger, and stuffed peppers with feta cheese and walnuts.

Yum, those stuffed peppers were amazing.

I do a pretty mean veg and halloumi cheese kebab which is ideal for BBQ and ridiculously easy. However, the recipe really would be very haphazard as it's one of those "make up as you go along" things. Will do my best to put it into some sort of coherent form before the closing date.

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

quote:
Originally posted by dolphy:
To answer your question about the swede in my recipe, they are similar to turnips but much much nicer. They are large, round and yellow in colour...

If anyone could provide a link I would be most grateful.

I obviously have far too much time on my hands [Roll Eyes] I have just done a Google search and suspect that in the US a swede might be called a rutabaga (though don't quote me, I didn't spend hours researching).

The lovely Delia has come up trumps again - here for your delectation is her take on the swede.

Yep, that's a rutabaga.

The first 15 recipes are now up! SoF Cookbook. I have 10 more recipes to go up.

So far we have Avocado Mozzarella and Tomato Salad, Barbequed Spare Ribs, Barbeque Sauce, Calabacitas, Cheese Straws, Chicken with Honey and Mustard, Chicken Liver Pate, Devilled Eggs, Fudge, German Potato Salad, Meat and Quince Stew, Orange Glazed Chicken, Pineapple with Ginger, Scottish Tablet and Texas Caviar (Bean Salad).

Any more suggestions for bbq-ed food, either sweet or savory, or even a salad?

How about suggestions for chicken dishes?

Any offers for drinks?

bb

quote:
Any offers for drinks?

Yes, I'd love a glass of white wine. [Wink]

babybear, Motherboard has a recipe for Cornish pasties if you want to include them.

I have e-mailed you my recipe for barbequed Beer-Butt Chicken.

And for my 1,000th post!

Thanks from the recipe team for all your responses! We are thrilled at the outpouring, but why hasn't everyone [Paranoid] sent something in?

GET OFF THE LAWN CHAIRS! [Snigger]
STOP CUTTING THE GRASS! [Big Grin]
GET OUT OF THE CAR ON YOUR WAY TO THE BEACHES! [Razz]
GET TO A COMPUTER!

and SEND THOSE RECIPES!

Motherboard (a 'thousandaire', at last!) [Yipee]

Posted by Kenwritez (# 3238) on :

Yow! Okay, already! (Kenw rubs his arm) Some crazy lady out there twisted this until I came in and read the posts. What've we got? Hmmmm...oh, okay...yeah....yeah...uh huh...sheesh...ahhhhh, now I go it!

Just submitted my "Grandma' Smackin Tri-tip with Purple Gravy, Sauteed Onions and Tomatoes" to our girl Mobo. See what she and BB think.

I had a look at the online version. The illustrations are lovely! Suddenly I've acquired nice pictures on my recipes!

But someone's changed the measurements. I don't think I put "half a cup" of wine - and I definitely didn't put "3/4 stick" of butter. Now I'm confused. Who thinks in "sticks of butter"?

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I had a look at the online version. The illustrations are lovely! Suddenly I've acquired nice pictures on my recipes!

Glad you like them. I have been searching through clipart, and copying images and altering them.

quote:
But someone's changed the measurements. I don't think I put "half a cup" of wine - and I definitely didn't put "3/4 stick" of butter. Now I'm confused. Who thinks in "sticks of butter"?
I did. 1 stick of butter is 4 oz (100g). The metric quantities are given on the left of the ingredients and the imperial/cups are on the right. Where people have submitted recipes in tablespoons I have left them in tablespoon. There are some recipes that are only given in tablespoons, teaspoons, and dashes. eg Moo's Devilled Eggs so the amounts are only on the left side.

I am building a glossary. If you see any terms that you don't recognise please let me know. I am also constructing a table of "1 cup equals". When that table is a bit more complete I shall also be putting it on the website.

If you would like to submit a recipe please have a look at what is already up. Have a look at the way the recipes are laid out, and if at all posible please submit in a simial format. It make it much easier to get the recipes on-line.

Please start submitting vegetarian dishes.

bb

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

bb, sorry to be a pain but in Zipporah's recipe for Tablet (mmmmmm) one of the ingredients is down as "ingredient". I am assuming that this should be butter.

That is not being a pain! That is being a good Smudgie! Thanks, I shall go change that and update it later today.

Please, please, if anyone sees any mistakes let me know.

bb

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 3631) on :

quote:

I assume you will take what you want from the existing recipes on the recipe thread. Correct?

I posted a vegetarian lentil-cheese casserole on it a good while back.

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:

Now that so many Californians are moving into Santa Fe we see lots of places, even Hispanic places, have added vegetarian sections to their menu. It's nice to have a use for them.

quote:
Originally posted by JB:
quote:
quote:

Now that so many Californians are moving into Santa Fe we see lots of places, even Hispanic places, have added vegetarian sections to their menu. It's nice to have a use for them.
Yes, vegetarians can be quite useful; chunked and diced, they make wonderful thickeners for soups and stews! [Big Grin]

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 3631) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kenwritez:
Yes, vegetarians can be quite useful; chunked and diced, they make wonderful thickeners for soups and stews!

And pies! The worst pies in London.

Posted by Amazing Grace (# 4754) on :

quote:
quote:

Glad you like them. I have been searching through clipart, and copying images and altering them.

quote:
I did. 1 stick of butter is 4 oz (100g). The metric quantities are given on the left of the ingredients and the imperial/cups are on the right. Where people have submitted recipes in tablespoons I have left them in tablespoon. There are some recipes that are only given in tablespoons, teaspoons, and dashes. eg Moo's Devilled Eggs so the amounts are only on the left side.

I am building a glossary. If you see any terms that you don't recognise please let me know. I am also constructing a table of "1 cup equals". When that table is a bit more complete I shall also be putting it on the website.

If you would like to submit a recipe please have a look at what is already up. Have a look at the way the recipes are laid out, and if at all posible please submit in a simial format. It make it much easier to get the recipes on-line.

bb

I shall when I recover from Eevil Blaster.

I will also send along a link to an excellent "equivalents" page. 1 cup sugar is not the same weight as 1 cup flour!

Charlotte aka Amazing Grace (American who owns a kitchen scale)

I'm still confused, and trying to figure out the consistency of measurements. Are "cups" used for liquid measurements or dry ones? Are flour and onions and sugar and so on always measured in cups in America?

Posted by G.R.I.T.S. (# 4169) on :

quote:
I'm still confused, and trying to figure out the consistency of measurements. Are "cups" used for liquid measurements or dry ones?
Both. It's not done by weight but by volume.

quote:
Are flour and onions and sugar and so on always measured in cups in America?
Yes, almost always.

quote:
Originally posted by ariel:
Are flour and onions and sugar and so on always measured in cups in America?

Cups and tablespoons tend to be the main measuring devices used in America. Stick (of butter) are also used and then the fall-back is ounces.

There will of course be inaccuracies introduce when converting from one system to another, but so far we haven't got many recipes where that would actually made a great deal of difference. Most of the recipes so far have included the technical terms 'some', 'a bit' and 'a dash'. [Big Grin]

quote:
Are "cups" used for liquid measurements or dry ones?
1 cup of water is 240ml = 240g
1 cup of rice crispies is 30g
1 cup of butter is 250g = 2½ sticks

Only one of my own recipes uses cups, and that is porridge. [/i]¼ of a cup of oats, and ½ of water. Mix and pop in the microwave for 1 min. Stir. [/i] For most Americans, they will only have a few recipes that use weights rather than cups, tablespoons, sticks and dashes.

We also have a few problems because icing sugar doesn't exist in America, but confectionar's sugar is very similar. There is a similar problem with double cream and heavy cream, and then the cheeses too!

Most people who like cooking will use a recipe as a guide, and will happily subsititue ingredients or alter the amounts depending on their tastes. When using the recipes look on them as and adventure. Explore and play.

bb

quote from bb
quote:
[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

This must be a British cup--10 fluid ounces.

An American cup is 8 ounces, and 1 cup butter = 2 sticks.

Moo

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote from bb
quote:

Butter is never measured in fluid ounces as far as I know - just ordinary ounces. 250g is about 8 oz, or half a pound.

I give up - I guess if I had grown up with the system I would understand it better. Anyway, I think my recipes should work - enjoy!

quote:
Butter is never measured in fluid ounces as far as I know

It might be if you left it out in the sun [Wink]

Measuring cups measure in fluid ounces, as opposed to avoirdupois ounces, which are weight.

When an American recipe calls for a cup of flour, the flour is measured in fluid ounces even though the flour is not fluid.

Moo

Out of curiosity do Australians and New Zealanders use those measurements too?

Posted by multipara (# 2918) on :

Less and less. In the last 20 years metric measures have been the go here in Oz. The average measuring cup (for liquids) holds 500 ml (an Imperial pint is 600 ml).

The Commonsense Cookery Book (the beginner's bible)used imperial measures with appropriate cups, spoons etc. I picked up the 1995 version in a second-hand shop last year and it had gone metric.

It is still wonderfully useful, even though the editors have added some shockers especially in the "vegetarian" section.

My personal favourite is the Presbyterian Cookbook, which ( the version we had dated from 1960) was full of useful recipes for the Sabbath which could be done the day before and popped into the oven before morning church, ready to eat 2 hours later.

cheers all,

m

Posted by boofhead (# 4478) on :

I thought one metric cup was 250 ml.

Would it be possible to extend the cookbook to indicate leftovers potential?

As an aside, The Commonsense Cookery Book (in 2 volumes) is a great book. My Grandma introduced me to it at the age of 5? over 30 years ago when she let me help her make scones.

Unfortunately it is somewhat disorganised and the section in Volume 2 on refrigeration and leftovers could probably be expanded. (my whinge from consulting it last weekend to find out about the leftover potential of roast pork)

The pikelet recipe in the Commonsense Cookbook formed part of our staple diet for many years. We had pikelets (with jam and cream of course) for dinner on Saturday nights many times.

---------
My Grandma deserved praise for many things, not least that she introduced me to cooking

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

I have decided to convert my Creole recipe to "handfuls", "pinches", etc.

Posted by frin (# 9) on :

Metric cups are 250ml and hold 250ml of water. I can also report that I regularly cook from several US cookbooks (and random recipes of the internet) and the effect of using metric cups on the efficacy of recipes is negligible - even in baking cookies, cakes, etc.

'frin

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote from bb
quote:

Moo

I have a table that gives "1 cups equals", and that said that 1 cup of butter = 250g. I know that 1 stick of butter = 4oz = 100g, so by putting those together, I came up with a figure that 1 cups = 2½ sticks.

I shall change that to read that 1 cup = 200g = 8oz = 2 sticks. So far, I don't think that I have used anything other than portions of sticks of butter.

quote:
boofhead asked:
Would it be possible to extend the cookbook to indicate leftovers potential?

Sounds good. If a recipe can be cooked from frozen, etc then please do say. The recipe pages are laid out with the title, a picture, ingredients, method and then notes. The notes section would be a fantastic place to put that information.

We can introduce a 'Leftover' section, recipes that can be made from leftovers. Somethign I regularly do is to cook double quantities of bolognaise meat sauce, and freeze half. Then later in the week it is quick and easy to make a lasagne.

When I roast a chicken I make a lot of gravy, and then freeze what is not used. This can be re-heated to go with a chicken breast, or can be used as part of the stock for soup.

Do we need a "Tips" section?

bb

Posted by Jengie (# 273) on :

Just for accuracy 1 oz = 28.3 g. Some recipes work with 25g and some with 30g. This may explain why 250g work as cups as it is just less than 9 oz while 200g is just over 7 oz. If you want it precise I suggest you use 225g however I really do not think it matters.

Jengie

Would anyone be interested in my recipe for Roman Chicken? It's not technically my own invention (it is, in fact, from ancient Rome) but it's the one I use and a favourite dish. It's from this cookbook. There is no measurement given, though -- it's along the lines of an ingredient list more than anything else. Here's an example of the way these things are written.

But it seems to work pretty well even though I just put in random amounts of spices (I use a lot, especially since I don't add salt) and one of the ingredients is actually extinct (!). It involves chicken, cumin, prunes or plums, celery seed and a few other things.

Apicius is good.

Between him & my Larousse I need never be short of silly recipes.

Though Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book, the best cookery book ever written, is the place for sensible recipies!

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie:
Just for accuracy 1 oz = 28.3 g. Some recipes work with 25g and some with 30g. This may explain why 250g work as cups as it is just less than 9 oz while 200g is just over 7 oz. If you want it precise I suggest you use 225g however I really do not think it matters.

If you are cooking something that requires accuracy to the nearest gram, or even 10 grams, you probably shouldn't be!

My prefered tactic is to add however much you want of whatever you want, mix it till it feels right, then cook it till it smells right.

Which is probably why I find bread easier to cook than pastry, and cakes almost impossible.

But then I've met people who rely on precise measurements & timings and have real hassle with bread, because you can't cook it like that.

You do have to measure baking soda and baking powder carefully. Otherwise the finished product may be inedible.

Moo

Chastmastr,
I'm partial to historical recipes, so I'd like to see your Apican chicken recipe. I have a number of recipes dating from the War Between the States and a recipe for teacakes that came in the proverbial covered wagon with my family to Texas.

I have a cookbook of medieval recipes.

Unfortunately, it says things like, "Add a goodly quantity of cinnamon, but not too much."

Moo

In other words, season to taste.

I love historical recipes, and once invited some brave friends round for a Roman meal based on Apicius. It began with fresh sardines and salad - sardines were a delicacy in Roman days, believe it or not - and went on to what unappetizingly translates as chicken with custard, which is actually a spicy chicken quiche, only without the pastry. I remember serving this with turnips flavoured with rosemary, and green beans. For dessert, fresh blackberries with honeyed cream.

It was interesting and much nicer than I'd expected (although I'd practised) and went down very well. But closer to Indian than modern Italian. No tomatoes or potatoes or pasta and a good deal more spices. And you do need to adapt Apicius a little for modern tastes.

quote:
Originally posted by Kenwritez:
quote:
Originally posted by JB:
quote:
quote:

It's nice to have a use for them.
Yes, vegetarians can be quite useful; chunked and diced, they make wonderful thickeners for soups and stews! [Big Grin]
I know that the beef industry is in bad shape right now, but it has been "hard times in the American West" ever since it was invented. However, imaging my horror when I got home with the meat today and found this sticker on the package.

I have a modest proposal: we can save the economy if we switch the packing plants to speciality meats. Are there any suggestions?

Well, if the carnivores all start consuming one another it will make the world safer for vegetarians. A dead animal is a dead animal, right?

Then again, perhaps not. [Ultra confused]

Grandma-smackin' Tri-Tip with Purple Gravy, Sauteed Onions and Tomatoes*

(*So-named because it's so good you'll smack your grandma for never having made it for you.)

Ingredients, listed per recipe:

Meat
====
3-lb. (1.33 kg) tri-tip beef roast ("A beef tri-tip roast is a boneless cut of meat from the bottom sirloin. It also is called "triangular" roast because of its shape.")

Wet Rub
=======
1 T kosher salt
¼ t. ground celery seed
½ t. fresh ground black pepper
¼ t. dried basil
1 T. horseradish mustard
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
8 fresh whole cloves of garlic, minced

Purple Gravy
1 can or 14 oz. fresh chicken stock
8 oz. red wine
4 oz. butter
4 oz. heavy cream
2 T. flour (enough to thicken gravy)
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Fried Onions and Tomatoes
=========================
2 medium white onions, peeled, cored and quartered
1 large beefsteak tomato, cored, drained and cut into ½ inch wedges
4 oz. chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

Procedure:

Tri-Tip
=======

1. Pre-heat grill to medium low and scrub clean grill bars when hot.
2. In a food processor, combine all ingredients of wet rub. Process until smooth.
3. Rub mixture on tri-tip coating all sides. Reserve any excess to coat meat during grilling.
4. Heat frying pan big enough to hold meat with 4 T canola or olive oil. Place coated tri-tip into fry pan. Sear until browned on all sides – approximately 2 minutes per side. Reserve this pan "as is" afterward for the gravy to be made.
5. Oil grill to prevent tri-tip from sticking.
6. Place tri-tip on center of grill with the fat side up. Close lid. Cook 25 minutes or until exterior is mostly charred, or until internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F (63 C) for rare or 160 degrees F (71 C) for medium. It's okay if the rub should catch fire for a minute or two; this will crisp the outside nicely.
7. Remove tri-tip from grill and allow to rest uncut for 10-15 minutes.

Purple Gravy
============
8. Add wine, 8-oz. chicken stock, butter to the pan the meat was seared in. Bring to a boil. Reduce by half.
10. Add cream, salt and pepper. Reduce by a quarter.
11. Make thickening for gravy by combining 6 oz. chicken stock with 2 T. flour. Mix well – no lumps! Add thickening to pan and stir to mix. Keep stirring to prevent lumps from forming.

Fried Onions and Tomatoes
=========================
12. Drain tomato wedge in colander over bowl – let drain for 30 minutes.
13. Heat 2 T olive or canola oil in saute pan. Add onions when oil is hot.
14. Saute onions until softened and mostly translucent. Break apart wedges into their discrete layers with a cooking spoon.
15. Add chicken stock, salt and pepper and cover and cook for 2-3 minutes.
16. Add tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes then remove from heat. Serve immediately.

Slice tri-tip across the grain. Serve with gravy on slices; onions and tomatoes on the side.

quote:
However, imaging my horror when I got home with the meat today and found this sticker on the package.

Ah, specialty meats.....

Could we interest you in some:

"Pork loin of physicist"?
"Brisket of Librarian"?
"Leg of Politician"?
"Shoulder of Comedian"?
"Eye of round of Emeril"?

Yes, I see how this could more programs for Martha Stewart to tape for her TV show.

[Wink] [Killing me] MB

quote:
Originally posted by Motherboard:
quote:
However, imaging my horror when I got home with the meat today and found this sticker on the package.

Ah, specialty meats.....

Could we interest you in some:

"Pork loin of physicist"?
"Brisket of Librarian"?
"Leg of Politician"?
"Shoulder of Comedian"?
"Eye of round of Emeril"?

Then there is the old joke about prices:

Sign in the specialty meats market:
Physicist Brain $0.10/lb.
Politician Brain $100.00/lb.

"Why the big price difference"
"Do you know how many politicians you have to round up to get a pound?"

quote:
And you do need to adapt Apicius a little for modern tastes.

Why? We tried the poultry with mint and honey and celery seed and vinegar in the crock pot this weekend and it was wonderful! [Yipee]

David
does not, however, find dormice for sale at the grocer's

quote:
David
does not, however, find dormice for sale at the grocer's

There used to be a farm in the south of England that would sell you edible dormice, complete with a hazelnut stuffing. However, they cost about 60 pounds for a small batch.

I do still plan on posting or sending these recipes.

Soon. Yes, really... [Embarrassed]

© Ship of Fools 2016