Thread: Heaven: Advice for new Apprentices Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000359

Posted by Chapelhead (# 1143) on :

There seem to be quite a few new Apprentices about at the moment, and some of them even have the temerity to post (shock). This being the case I thought it might be helpful for those of us who have been around for a little longer to provide advice and guidance for the recent joiners, rather in the way How to be an alien provided advice for people visiting Britain – “When entering a railway carriage always shake hands with everyone already present”, for example.

Here are a few starters:

[ 30. March 2004, 05:44: Message edited by: Coot W*nkMeister Eckhardt ]

Posted by Chocoholic (# 4655) on :

If you become stressed with the ship and want a break, start a thread, preferably in hell telling people you are leaving and why.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

Read the Dead Horses section (or, at least, sufficiently to know the sort of subjects discussed there). Then start a thread in Purgatory on "Homosexuality and Christianity". Whine vociferously that your freedom of speech is being violated when it gets closed.

Posted by Quizmaster (# 1435) on :

It is safe to say anything you like about Erin.

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

You are probably right when you say that as a Christian Website there are a lot of not very nice people about. Keep saying it.

P

Posted by 'Lurker' (# 1384) on :

punctuiation capatalisation and spelin arent impotant thing's on the ship, dont bother with them

Posted by Duo Seraphim (# 3251) on :

Ignore all statements made by a Host.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

One of the good things about SoF is that it is an international community made up of people from all over the world. Accordingly, if you post in a language other than English, there is always someone who will be able to read it and reply to you.

The diversity also means that local cultural references aren't a problem, so if you want to rave about the TV programme you saw last night, or your local councillor/politician, it won't matter whether people are posting from the USA, Australia or the UK, they will be able to join in.

Posted by .Jenny (# 3131) on :

post when drunk.

and even better, start a thread when drunk. Its really funny and the hosts and admins will think so too. In fact, a host may even tell you to do this, which makes it even more amusing to all.

J

Posted by Ferijen (# 4719) on :

Don't ever use the Preview Post button.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
One of the good things about SoF is that it is an international community made up of people from all over the world.

Very true. And some of the best threads are those demonstrating how much better things are done in the UK than the USA (or vice versa, or substituting OZ etc).

Starting one of these threads is bound to result in much friendly banter.

Other shipmates will look at you with respect if you multiple post.

Not only will this win you friends, but it boosts your post count, which (as we all know) is the way of showing how good and holy you are.

J

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ferijen:
[QB] Don't ever use the Preview Post button. [QB][QUOTE]And don't worry if this results in really poor use of UBB codes. Some kind host will [i]always[/b] come along and uncomplainingly correct it for you.

[Edit: I am leaving this untouched because it is performance art you HEATHENS! Where's my fave Magic8 ball hiding these days?]

[ 07. January 2004, 17:07: Message edited by: Icarus Coot ]

Posted by Ags (# 204) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Read the Dead Horses section (or, at least, sufficiently to know the sort of subjects discussed there).

Quite so.

The Hosts move threads to Dead Horses because they think it is time for the debate to begin afresh on Purgatory and are hoping someone will start a suitable thread.

Posted by Ferijen (# 4719) on :

Erin's avatar is a crocodile, seeing as you asked.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

Remember to read the details of each specific board, and how they each have their own style and format. Do this all in one day, so that you will be completely confused as to what style is appropriate to which board.

Never forget that the hosts, admins, and more established shipmates have probably not read the guidelines for some time, and have probably forgotten them. It is your duty to point out where individuals are breaching them. This is particularly the case in heaven, where a stream of abuse and expletives is the appropriate response to anyone not being lovely, warm and fluffy towards you. This will attract the attention of the hosts to the miscreant.

And, of course, this is the perfect place for your personal theories to be discussed in depth. Keep posting them to the different forums, because eventually, you will find some people who will treat them with the respect they deserve.

New games threads are always welcome in Heaven.

All Saints is a good place to find a thread about a forthcoming meet. As a new person, it would be a bit of a cheek to start one, so if you don't find one in your area, post a note to ask an established shipmate to arrange a meet on your behalf. If you are an established shipmate, you are entitled to ask why nobody ever holds any meets near you and demand that someone does.

And remember, this is a community, so if you think someone is special, start a thread to point it out.

Posted by Robert Miller (# 1459) on :

People do not always have time to read threads, so if you start a new thread that no-one replies to - start another one and then another one just to make sure your voice is heard.

Posted by dolphy (# 862) on :

When you post on a thread in hell, or start one for that matter, always apologise for what you have ranted about and then add in 'don't flame me'. This will earn you great respect from hosts and hell regulars.

Posted by Paul W (# 1450) on :

Long lists of Bible verse references are the best way to prove your point in Purgatory. No-one will be able to disagree with you.

Paul W

Kerygmania is a board for discussion of the Bible. Always make sure that any thread there explains why the Bible must be inerrant for discussion to be worthwhile.

Most of the science students/professionals on board have never ever heard of young earth or creation science theology.

Impress them all with your knowledge of why it is the right way to go with your favourite quotes from Genesis 1:1 and following.

Posted by Arrietty (# 45) on :

Calling someone a 'fluffy bunny' is the highest compliment you can pay them.

Posted by Miffy (# 1438) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:
Calling someone a 'fluffy bunny' is the highest compliment you can pay them.

[Big Grin]

Posted by Angel* (# 4690) on :

Do not worry about grammar and English usage.
Whether it is to or too, there or there etc.
Punctuation is not necessary anywhere on the boards.

quote:
Originally posted by Angel*:
Do not worry about grammar and English usage.
Whether it is to or too, there or there etc.
Punctuation is not necessary anywhere on the boards.

Surely there or they're or maybe their?

Correct people's grammar and they will thank you immensely for it.

Also never fail to double post - it adds so much more to the thread, with triple and quadruple posting you can acheive bonus points.

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

If something really upsetting has happened to you in your personal life, do mention it in Hell. You will be overwhelmed with the sympathy and love you recieve.

Posted by Belisarius (# 32) on :

Pique the curiosity of the less-well-rounded by starting threads dedicated to Café in-jokes.

Posted by dolphy (# 862) on :

Help me do my homework/Write my essay threads are wonderful threads to start. You will be overwhemed by the responses [Big Grin]

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

Writing one thing, then editing your post to say something completely different is always good for a giggle.

[ 07. January 2004, 15:10: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

If a thread has run to more than one page by the time you notice it, it's safe to assume no-one else has been following it from the beginning either. You don't need to make sure you are not repeating what has already been said.

Posted by Ann (# 94) on :

Before you click "Add Reply" in Hell, look over your post to make sure it is really nasty. If you think it's too tame, add some rude words.

The same goes for The Styx.

Posted by Grits (# 4169) on :

They'll like you a whole lot better in Hell if you spell out all your curse words with asterisks (i.e. d**n, s**t, etc.)

And jump into as many threads as possible with offensive, but funny, one-liners. People love that!

There is a special Hosts board where the hosts and admins discuss the running of these forums. Anyone who asks enough times has the right to read these discussions. See Erin.

Paul W

Posted by Ronist (# 5343) on :

Thank-you so very much for your generous and sincere guidance.

I will print this out and keep it near my computer.

An early observation I have made is that a huge post count is a very sure sign of a genius I.Q. and has nothing to do with someone having way too much time on their hands.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronist:
Thank-you so very much for your generous and sincere guidance.

I will print this out and keep it near my computer.

An early observation I have made is that a huge post count is a very sure sign of a genius I.Q. and has nothing to do with someone having way too much time on their hands.

I like this Apprentice. Clearly someone with a great future on the Ship [Big Grin]

[ 07. January 2004, 17:31: Message edited by: Chapelhead ]

No apprentice has the right to post until they have attained the rank of shipmate.

Posted by Clyde (# 752) on :

Chapelhead, I agree with you that Ronist has the makings of a fine Apprentice. He has a humbleness which is not present in many of the upstart Apprentices that we seem to get these days.
I blame their parents, George Bush and Tony Blair.

Ronist comes from Canada where Rook lives. Is this of any significance?

quote:
Originally posted by Clyde:
I blame their parents, George Bush and Tony Blair.

Apprentice Has Two Daddies: Soon to be banned at a Library near you.

Posted by Pheonix (# 2782) on :

You obviously never came across that bad american comedy 'My Two Dads' [Razz]

Posted by Annie P (# 3453) on :

Start a games thread in the Circus the same day that the same games thread has just been closed. The hosts don't like new ideas. [Disappointed]

POSTING ALL IN CAPITALS MAKES YOUR POSTS MUCH EASIER TO UNDERSTAND

Paul W

Erin frequently attends US shipmeets. Oh and Erin is male.

Posted by MrSponge2U (# 3076) on :

Inserting "Praise the Lord" and "Hallelujah" into your posts will impress everyone with how spiritual you are.

Our favorite theologians are Benny Hinn, Pat Robertson, and Jack Chick. Quote from them as often as possible.

And flirting is actively encouraged, especially in Hell.

Join in the game with all hosts and admins.
You have to start lots of polls and the minute the hosts/admins close one, that is your cue to start another.

The trick is to keep one step ahead of them all and keep them guessing the subject for the next poll.
Polls which are considered good are often about hosts and admins, others are about individual shipmates who you can name and pour scorn on especially in Heaven.

Remember most of the people on board are apostate heretics. It is your mission to convert us all to the One True Faith™ through the shear volume of posts preaching the word.

Posted by Left at the altar (# 5077) on :

Preferably, the first thread you start should also be your first post.
Hell is an excellent place to start, and you should choose a topic in which you are looking for a bit of sympathy. You can dress it up a bit as righteous indignation.
When another shipmate offers some advice/soothing words, respond with more whining and go into detail about how you have been wronged.
If a big, nasty HellHost comes in and calls you horrid names, respond by telling him that he has acted like a $@^%$@ who should show you sympathy. Tell him though, that despite his failings, the Lord loves him, and so do you, because that is the way humans should act towards each other. HellHosts like it when you demonstrate the proper way to act.
This will make you both best friends. [Smile]

Tell people how you feel, all the time.

It is a community you know. they want to hear it.

J

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Left at the altar:
Preferably, the first thread you start should also be your first post.

[Hot and Hormonal]

I have never looked back.

Posted by bessie rosebride (# 1738) on :

When you approach a thread in Hell, be prepared to either sell concessions, or add to the merriment of the party already in progress. Everyone, including the hosts, loves to see plenty of popcorn, beer, hard liquor, and snacks being passed around and consumed.

Making frequest editorial asides regarding the posts will also earn you the attention you so crave. [Smile]

Posted by Gremlin (# 129) on :

Sarcasm is the lingua franca of the Internet, and is particularly useful when discussing theology with Shipmates.

Gremlin

Its ok to post really long words, the boards are like word, it cuts off at the end of the line.

It never breaks the horizontal scroll.

J

[edited due to the fact that maybe it isn't funny to break the horizontal scroll on purpose. [Hot and Hormonal] ]

[ 07. January 2004, 20:44: Message edited by: .Jenny ]

The Ship is, despite appearances, actually a dating agency. To truely be a part of this community you need to fall in love and announce your engagement.

quote:
Originally posted by Annie P:
Erin frequently attends US shipmeets. Oh and Erin is male.

Not only that, but he's really old.

Oh, and I forgot - he's an Arizona fan...

[ 07. January 2004, 20:46: Message edited by: bessie rosebride ]

Always go out of your way to stick up for any trolls who may post on the ship from time to time. After all, remember, this is a Christian site.

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

Remember - Purgatory may be a debate space but it's not just for pointy headed intellectuals. You may know less than the other contributors but do call them "fuckwits" if you disagree with them but can't think of a pertinent argument.

Another good first post is to go to The Styx and start a thread about what is wrong with the Ship and how it could be more efficiently managed.
To assist the administrators, refer to each board and point out, in reasonably diplomatic language, how the hosts could improve. Quote the commandments and guidelines to show precisely where the hosts are letting things slip a bit.

In the Circus, join in a game without reading the first post, which contains unnecessary detail. People love it when you play "blind" because it takes the threads off on such interesting tangents.

[ 07. January 2004, 21:10: Message edited by: Left at the altar ]

Posted by welsh dragon (# 3249) on :

Only post a rant in Hell about something really important that you might legitimately be expected to feel angry about e.g. stubbing your toe or not winning the lottery.

If a bomb falls on your house and blows off your legs and you post about how inchoately, gut-wrenchingly fraught and furious that makes you feel, then that is "whining".

If someone is "whining" about something they think is important in their life on a Hell thread, then it is a really good idea to go and tell them to cheer up and smell the coffee.

If they swear at you, then you should say how enormously surprised you are...

...after all it *is* a Christian website...

Under-endowed men should confide in Pyx_e, who will show you great sympathy and support.

Paul W

Depressed people should seek out a Hellhost in whom to confide.

Nightlamp in particular has a special interest in Rogerian counselling.

It's always helpful to point out spelling and syntax errors by other shipmates, after all we are a learning community.

Posted by shoewoman (# 1618) on :

Use as many abbrevs as possible, everybody enjoys the guessing game. If you find this too much trouble, careless spelling will do nicely. We are deeply impressed by extensive usage of foreign languages as well.

There is no-one called Wood on these boards.

Paul W

Do a little research and find out the names and platforms of some past banned Shipmates. Talk about how you miss them and what a contribution they made to the Ship, rehashing what they did wrong and how they were treated unfairly. Be sure to indite as many hosts and admins in the process as possible. Everyone will be truly supportive -- I promise.

Please do feel free to comment on the mental state of other posters and hand out unsolicited advice about how to run their lives. Erin in particular always welcomes being psychoanalysed by someone she's never met.

These forums are the Ship-of-Fools, the actual magazine part of the site is just a sideline. You don't ever need to bother looking at it.

In fact, the most important part of the boards is the Mystery Worshipper forum. You can best play an active role in the community of the Ship by only ever posting on that forum. Don't bother reading the Styx, it's pointless and boring.

Paul W

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to annoy Alan to the extent that he uses the 'F' word.
You get extra points for that.

Posted by Timothy (# 292) on :

Find a thread that was very contentious and ran at least three pages, but that no one has posted to for at least a week. Add a lengthy post addressing a critical issue that everyone else overlooked while they were prooftexting, typing Greek letters, and calling each other to Hell. They will admire your acute insight and be grateful that you did not let an important thread die with vital matters unresolved.

Timothy

Posted by Flausa (# 3466) on :

If shipmates disagree with you on one thread, go complain about it on an entirely unrelated thread. You're sure to find sympathy if you whine loud enough and long enough.

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

And always make sure to promote other boards, other Webzines, other forums and websites and threads, oh my!

Don't bother with useful references to places that do not compete with the Ship-- stick to actually recruiting for and promoting foreign websites.

Post lots of links. Extra points if the things to which you link are time-sensitive and go away, leaving lots of broken links on the thread. More extra points if you link to questionable sites.

Posted by Lyda Rose of Sharon (# 4544) on :

Complain vociferously about the Ship's In Crowd without having the balls to name Names.

The fricking snots know who They, themselves, are. [Paranoid]

You know- the ones who are exchanging billions and billions of PMs (about us losers [Waterworks] ), know all the in-jokes, and are the life-of-the-party at the Shipmeets that are thrown especially for them at chi-chi resturants.

Those guys.

The turds. [Mad]

If you're a member of another board where you are engaged in some hum-dinger of a slanging match, come here and start a thread to recruit people to sign up there to help you out.

Posted by anglicanrascal (# 3412) on :

quote:
If you're a member of another board where you are engaged in some hum-dinger of a slanging match, come here and start a thread to recruit people to sign up there to help you out.

And if you are engaged in a hum-dinger of a slanging match on these boards (especially with management), recruit people from other boards to join your side over here!

Pax,
anglicanrascal
who has been reading the history of the Ship!

There are two great games that surface from time to time which will give you extra street cred. One is called Famous Last Posts, where you try to post on every board in quick succession so that your name shows up on every line of the Recent Posts index. It doesn't matter what you post, even if it's just "Hello" or "Oops I'm on the wrong thread", so long as you get your name on it. The other is called All Around The Houses, where you start a thread on one board then try to get it moved to different boards. Extra points for doing this with the minimum amount of posts, and for getting it moved to more than two other boards before you're rumbled. (I think the record is currently five.) Extra special points for anyone who does a minimum of three boards then gets it moved into Dead Horses and Limbo.

Mornington crescent is a great game and all hosts love it if you start this game anywhere on the boards.

try it, go on, you know you want to...

J

Posted by Talitha (# 5085) on :

If you think someone is a troll, go to every thread they've posted on and yell "TROLL! TROLL!" If enough people do this, the admins will eventually notice the troll and ban them, Otherwise, they will be free to roam the ship and wreak havoc.

The hosts do not read the threads; they use automatic word-recognition software. So if you want to swear at people in Purgatory, or make racist or homophobic comments, it's okay as long as you spell them wrong.

SOF is always happy to provide a forum for those who wish to 'act out' their loathing of a certain form of Christianity or Christianity in general. Please feel free to post scathing criticisms of other posters regardless of the topic under discussion on the basis of their perceived beliefs. It all contriubtes to the 'Christian unrest'.

snice terhe is a teorhy taht you can selpl wrdos any way you wnat as lnog as you hvae the frsit and lsat lttrees in the crreoct palce, tihs is apectlbice wehn you psot.

J

Si taht a dgi ta me, Nenjy?

quote:

no,

I didn't mean it to come across like that. sorry.

J

Never admit to making a mistake. Never apologise. It just makes it look like you don't know what you're talking about.

Posted by Michal (# 5337) on :

Be sure to remind yourself constantly that the three years of lurking on the boards, reading numerous threads and responses by board hosts does not in any way give you any insight into the personalities on board.

Do not ever mention that you remember "the good old days" when the Ship celebrated the arrival of its 1,000th member or when there was a Shipmate named Wood.

Pretend you know nothing about anything. Be nice. Avoid being called to Hell at all costs. Enjoy the circus.

Ariel said:
quote:
There are two great games that surface from time to time which will give you extra street cred. One is called Famous Last Posts, where you try to post on every board in quick succession so that your name shows up on every line of the Recent Posts index. It doesn't matter what you post, even if it's just "Hello" or "Oops I'm on the wrong thread", so long as you get your name on it.
So you still have not managed it then. [Big Grin]

P

Good basic rules for getting respect and getting your point across in Hell:

quote:
Originally posted by .Jenny:
quote:

no,

I didn't mean it to come across like that. sorry.

J

I should have put a smilie in, it was a joke!
[Biased] [Razz] [Hot and Hormonal] [Yipee] [Cool]

ok.

another rule for apprentices...

being thin skinned is a good thing. especially in hell. taking things to heart is shows you are a sensitive soul.

J

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

(this sort of post is a very good idea)

[ 08. January 2004, 19:50: Message edited by: welsh dragon ]

[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

(As is this)

I so totally agree Miffy, that is absolutely the most amazing and wonderful post I have ever read in my entire life and the history of the world.

(as is this).

[Devil]

Posted by *Balaam* (# 4543) on :

This site is about Christian unrest. Posters should be unrestful about everything, especially board policy.

In the interest of unrestfulness it is therfore compulsory to question everything a host, administrator and especially board editor says.

Posted by Alt Wally (# 3245) on :

If you disagree with someone, it's probably because that person isn't a Christian (even if they claim to be). It is your duty to inform them of this.

And, if you find out they are, indeed, not a Christian, well... you've already been advised of the open conversion policy.

The benefits of owning an SUV is a great thread subject.

Posted by MrSponge2U (# 3076) on :

As we believe our political leaders (especially the conservative ones) have been chosen by God, they should never be criticized in any way.

Stating frequently "I've nothing to add to this thread, but I'm just letting you know that I'm here," is a great way to boost your post count.

Adding a post just to say how much you agree with what someone else said really adds a whole lot of new ideas to the debate.

quote:
Adding a post just to say how much you agree with what someone else said really adds a whole lot of new ideas to the debate.

I agree.

What Alan said.

quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
quote:

I agree.
And I agree.

Of course, a person who expresses agreement with world leaders, especially those who lead the US or the UK is showing a mindless and reactionary, archaic nationalism, or a shrewd, alliance with those who who would lead The New World Order [Paranoid] -one or the other or maybe both. In any case, feel free to call them nazis. [Mad]

quote:
Originally posted by bessie rosebride:
quote:
quote:

I agree.
And I agree.
Here's another great thing. Try to capture as many posts from others in quotes when you are quoting. We just love to get to wade through reading them again, especially when they are detailed and run for many lines.

End it all up with one tiny trivial comment of your own.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I agree.
And I agree.
Here's another great thing. Try to capture as many posts from others in quotes when you are quoting. We just love to get to wade through reading them again, especially when they are detailed and run for many lines.

[Overused]

Paul W

Lyda's post reminded me that you should be aware that this is a totally pro-Bush board . All Shipmates are loyal and supportive, be they British or American, Republican or Democrat. One of the best threads you could ever start would be about Bush's war policies and how great the war in Iraq has been. Any criticism of the American government is greatly discouraged.

quote:
Originally posted by Paul W:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I agree.
And I agree.

[Overused]

Paul W

Or, if in Purgatory, call them stupid.

If you're British, remember that every single American is exactly like the Texan with the big hat and a load of cameras who you could hear talking all the way across the restaurant when you last went out for a quiet meal in London. Post accordingly.

Be sure to go to shipmeets in order to collect as much personal data about other shipmates as you can. Then post it all on the internet. Be sure to include mailing addresses. Hosts, especially, like this sort of attention.

quote:
Originally posted by Left at the altar:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I agree.
And I agree.

[Overused]

Paul W

Or, if in Purgatory, call them stupid.
[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

Paul W
[Big Grin]

Every thread on every board should be of interest to everyone who reads it. If you find a thread uninteresting, you should always post on it to say so immediately so the hosts can shut it down.

Posted by Papio (# 4201) on :

Yeah. Everyone loves Dubya. Agree with everything he does and no-one will at all question your intelligence.

Those of us who claim to be socailists are just funning ya! The best way to gain our respect is to dismiss our ideas out of hand. Show us what idiots we are by ignoring our concerns.

Actually, (and now I am being serious) don't troll, don't act astonished when your beliefs are challanged, don't act like a puerile tosser and DO listen to others and accept they have a right to be who they are whether you like it or not. If you do that - you will fit in here and be accepted. If you aren't prepared to take as you find and treat with respect than you might as well leave now. No one will miss you.

The boards contain a wide variety of views, experiences, traditions, personalities and prejudices. Either you can florish in those conditions or you can't. If you can't - bye bye. If you can - welcome aboard, we look forward to your posts!!!

Oh, and don't forget, have fun, learn, make friends and don't be afraid to be yourself and say what you think - just be prepared for others to do the same.

Take care,

Papio

P.S - if you get flamed, you have said something stupid. Own up to it and move on.

P.P.S - As I said, welcome aboard and please excuse my bluntness.

God, Papio.

What are you trying to be? Reasonable?

[Biased]

Posted by zephirine of the roses (# 3323) on :

offer chocolate freely.

especially exotic chocolate. [Axe murder]

ATTENTION, NEW APPRENTICES: DO NOT PAY ANY ATTENTION TO ANY POSTS BY SHIPMATE NAMED "PAPIO". HE IS A BIG TROUBLEMAKER. AND DON'T FORGET TO POST IN ALL CAPS FOR OTHERS' ENJOYMENT.

Papio is actually an enemy plant (more than likely of the poppy variety) sent here to lead you astray. Beware and don't be tricked.

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

<psst... guys... was Papio's post the only break-the-mold-yes-I-do-give-a-care post?

Oh, that sweet man...>

[ 09. January 2004, 02:42: Message edited by: Janine ]

I'm rather skeptical of the chocolate advice given by zephirine of the roses...

That doesn't seem right, does it? No one likes exotic chocolate. Especially the hosts and admins. [Paranoid]

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

We despise chocolate, whiskey and gin. And cabana boys.

And the women on board do not find Alan Rickman attractive.

Oh and we find any mention of Joanne Rowling, Terry Pratchett, C.S. Lewis or J.R.R. Tolkien boring in the extreme. Never start a thread on any of these characters; no one will ever find anything to post to it...

Posted by Mousethief (# 953) on :

If you get called onto the rug for being rude, laugh it off and say you were being ironic, or byronic, or something.

That's right. Sincere apologies are absolutely verboten.

Threads about cats are always welcome; especially in Purgatory. The more lovey-dovey the better.

My pwecious Fearless is on my wap wight now telling y'all how much she woves you and how she wants to talk to your cats too. Purrrrrrr. [Axe murder] [Angel] [Axe murder]

Posted by Amazing Grace (# 4754) on :

quote:
Originally posted by *Balaam*:
This site is about Christian unrest. Posters should be unrestful about everything, especially board policy.

In the interest of unrestfulness it is therfore compulsory to question everything a host, administrator and especially board editor says.

And since the hosts have to read all the posts in their own boards, you should make your complaints there so they will be sure to see it. The Styx is merely for practicing your UBB or seeing if your new sig file works.

For extra points, if you are really peeved, you should put something about it in the prayer thread.

Charlotte

Yes, the prayer threads are prime places to do all sorts of good work for the Lord. Pray for Shipmates (by name) who have hurt your feelings; pray for them especially if they have "anger issues".

You know you are right in all your beliefs because the Bible/the One True Church/human reason and churchly tradition unclouded by superstition tells you so. So pray that all the deluded ones will see the light. Remember God loves them [Angel] even if they are benighted fools who are tools of the devil/are living in sinful schism from the Holy Church™/are deluded dinosaurs who still think we should burn witches and heretics and other DeadHorses-type undesirables.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

quote:
Papio
Don't be a puerile tosser

Whereas I am sure this is good advice I have no idea what it means. I don't think the phrase has really jumped the pond.

[translation]
Don't be a childish wanker.

Posted by Kyralessa (# 4568) on :

quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
Oh and we find any mention of Joanne Rowling, Terry Pratchett, C.S. Lewis or J.R.R. Tolkien boring in the extreme. Never start a thread on any of these characters...

Nor on any of the past or present bishops of Durham. I mean, like anyone knows who any of them are anyway.

Also, if you don't like how a host edits your post, the best thing is to start a thread in the Styx about it. If you leave off identifying details, no one will have any way in the world to figure out what specific post and host you're talking about. You can trust me on this.

Your initial post might be embarrassing to you later, so post it in Dead Horses. No one ever reads those, so that first post will be long gone in a few weeks.

Oh, and while the board claims you can't use more than eight smileys in a post, there is a way to change your account so it will let you. (Hint: You have to post the same text at least five times in a row on a single thread. Don't worry about the duplicate posts; a kind host will delete them for you.)

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
We despise chocolate, whiskey and gin. And cabana boys.

That's the second time this week that an unfamiliar Americanism has sent me Googling.

But I think I get the idea. [Biased]

Posted by Tom Day (# 3630) on :

quote:

but some of the men do [Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Kyralessa:
You have to post the same text at least five times in a row on a single thread. Don't worry about the duplicate posts; a kind host will delete them for you

quote:
You have to post the same text at least five times in a row on a single thread. Don't worry about the duplicate posts; a kind host will delete them for you

quote:

quote:

quote:

When someone gives you bum advice it is perfectly reasonable, especially in Heaven, to call them all sorts of obscene names. And, the [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] smiley works too

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
quote:

but some of the men do [Biased]
Most of them, on the ******* ******* board. [Biased]

As people keep saying, this is a Christian website. If someone who isn't a Christian posts their views and you don't agree with them, you are entitled to rubbish them. Be scathing, if you are polite and reasonable they won't listen. You have The Truth. They don't, and are wandering in outer darkness. If you are feeling particularly charitable, you should try to get their email address from their profile so you can regularly send them e-tracts and encouraging emails with web links to Christian sites you think they should look at. You can also do this with other people who call themselves Christians but aren't.

//tangent//
This is a tangent and will add much to this wonderful advice thread.

I agree with you all.
[Axe murder]
[Big Grin]
[Angel]

edited to add more smilies

[ 09. January 2004, 08:19: Message edited by: Angel* ]

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Left at the altar:
[QUOTE] [Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

Paul W
[Big Grin]

ehrm.. [Hot and Hormonal]

[Ooh, look! A horizontal scroll break!]

[ 09. January 2004, 09:41: Message edited by: Stoo ]

quote:
[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

Paul W
[Big Grin]

Better still, in Purgatory call the Admins or Erin stupid.

[And the scroll is broken]

[ 09. January 2004, 09:40: Message edited by: Stoo ]

Balaam, you missed me out! (whine) [Waterworks] Guess I'll just have to crawl off to the loosers thread in Hell.

quote:
Better still, in Purgatory call the Admins or Erin stupid.

Or run out of time on the edits and have to double post.

[Oh, how nice. A horizontal scroll break]

[ 09. January 2004, 09:39: Message edited by: Stoo ]

When you have written a 100 line post, full of insightful musings, brilliant arguments and tremedous wit, and while still in the "Post a reply" screen, press the refresh button on your browser. [Mad]

Remember that, sooner or later, multi-nested quotes result in horizontal scroll problems. Hosts and Admins have a huge belly laugh when this happens.

quote:
Or run out of time on the edits and have to double post.

or double post on purpose, this gives weight to your sentiments

J

[Oh, ha ha ha. Very funny]

[ 09. January 2004, 09:34: Message edited by: Stoo ]

Posted by Stoo (# 254) on :

Ok...

We've all had our fun playing with the horizontal scroll now, haven't we children?

Say "Yes, Stoo"

Depends your computer's set up, scroll wasn't broken on my monitor (I left it so the next post would break it [Biased] )

Always assume that other people are using computers with the same state-of-the art spec that you have. Afterall, there's no reason why people can't use 21" monitors with very high resolution to see the superb bit of, rather large, ASCII art you put in the code box. Or, have super-fast broadband internet access to load that very graphic rich web page you linked to.

Please remember that the intellectual caliber of the average poster is far in excess than that of your normal cybergeek. The Ship is not the place for fluffiness and froth. However, members who initiate serious literary debate will earn the undying admiration of their shipmates.

Posted by Faithful Sheepdog (# 2305) on :

Special recommendations for apprentices posting in Kerygmania:
  1. Don’t be afraid to bring up all your bizarre preconceived notions. We have no idea what The Bible Says™, and always prefer eisegesis to exegesis.
  2. It helps to see sex everywhere in the Bible, after all, it gets everywhere on the Ship.
  3. Those clever guys who quote Hebrew and Greek are all bluffing. Don’t be afraid to bluff back. A textual variant in an obscure manuscript is a particularly good tactic.
  4. Pre-millennial dispensationalists are especially welcome. We don’t have enough people on the ship who really understand Ezekiel, Daniel and Revelation.
  5. Finally, it helps enormously if your comments bear no relation whatsoever to the passage, we like the post-modern flavour this brings to the discussion.
Neil

Posted by Lesley W (# 4445) on :

When you really want to find the answer to something, don't spend hours looking through the different boards for a clue. Just post the question - any board will do. Some host with nothing to do, or some shipmate with plenty of time available will find the answer and post a link for you.

quote:
Originally posted by Stoo:
Ok...

We've all had our fun playing with the horizontal scroll now, haven't we children?

Say "Yes, Stoo"

See, this is a sign that Stoo is really enjoying what we were doing to the horizontal scroll, and he wants us to play some more. [Big Grin]

Paul W

quote:
Papio is actually an enemy plant (more than likely of the poppy variety) sent here to lead you astray. Beware and don't be tricked.

Ooops. Well, if I were to renounce my renagade ways I would advise all newbies to frequently post enlightened statements like "the americans are mindless war-mongers", "gays are perverted" and "women are either sluts or angels". Such statements show that you are on the one, true Biblical road to paradise and that your intelligence far exceeds the rest of us as does your spirituality. If some misinformed person attempts to challenge your views, here is what to do:

A) Point blank refuse to listen to them.
B) Refuse to show a sense of humour or any sign of humility. If you do so such things it is a sign of weakness.
C) If your opponent shows no sign of renouncing their worldly, unspiritual nonsense inform them that they will be thrown into the deepest flames of hell (the real one - not the ship board) and that they deserve it for being such woolly liberal heretical scum.
D) If a host directs you to the 10 commandments and/or to apologise to people then ignore them. They are just joshing. If such joshing persists then the best thing to do is slag that host off in the Styx.

Also - a guide to insults for those
times that someone annoys you by posting something that challenges your views or might require you to think again.

The very best insults are the ones that are a variation on a theme. For example - "I know you are, but what am I?" Such witty retorts will win you the respect of your shipmates.

Also - never be afraid to only ever post about one narrow topic. You can even employ the most tenous of connections in order to change the theme of a thread to your topic. No-one will mind and repeated attempts at this should win over even the most popular threads over to your subject.

and, finally, about the hell board. This exists for one purpose and one purpose only. To whine, complain and generally moan about little petty annoyances. Say you get drunk, order some books on amazon in your drunken state and then find you can't cancell the order. Got that scenerio in your head? Well, hell is here to sort it out for you. or at least make you feel better about it. Feel free to start threads explaining that God must be really horrible if God allows such suffering to befall you. Everyone will be supportive - esp RooK and Sarkycow.

We like the Polyphonic Spree on the Ship, please mention them as much as possible.

Vicious attacks on former Archbishop George Carey aren't welcome on the boards.

Please restrict them to PMs sent to the shipmate called Spawn.

Everybodies fave shipmates include the guy who accused us all of being baby eaters, the bloke who get banned, then re-registered under pretense of being his wife, people who think that proof-texting is a substitute for reasoned arguement, people who crusade on behalf of the British National Party or the KKK and people who in general behave in the manner suggested to you in my last post on this thread.

Watch and learn, newbies, watch and learn.

A quick guide to the boards and their uses:

The Styx A private board for Hosts and Admins. Ordinary Shipmates visiting it are immediately suspended. Don’t risk it.

Heaven Mainly for games and asking for help with homework.

Purgatory For debating the big issues, obviously including women priests, homosexuality etc.

Hell For Whining about whatever has annoyed you today.

All Saints Exclusively for announcing engagements.

Mystery Worship While a use is sought for this board it is temporarily being used for such matters as what type of lacy underwear the Priest should have on during the different liturgical seasons.

Kerygmania For debating the inerrancy of the Bible.

Small Fire For discussing ‘alt.worship’, which is a worship band formed by Alt.Wally and named after himself.

The Circus Contains reports on the debates at General Synod.

Dead Horses This is the new name for the TnT board, for the seriously deviant.

Limbo As ‘Dead Horses’, but more family-oriented.

quote:
Originally posted by Chaplehead

The Styx A private board for Hosts and Admins. Ordinary Shipmates visiting it are immediately suspended. Don’t risk it.

Chaplehead - while you have given good advice in the rest of your post, I do take issue with this. The Styx exists so that people who have behaved in the perfectly reasonable manner outline in the majority of above posts can call foul and say that a given host is out of his or her mind.

You only get banned if you abuse the Styx by complimenting the hosts, admins and other staff. or asking questions about policy, suggesting new ideas for the ship, polite requests that a host clarifies what s/he feels you have done wrong etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Papio:
Chaplehead - while you have given good advice in the rest of your post, I do take issue with this. The Styx exists so that people who have behaved in the perfectly reasonable manner outline in the majority of above posts can call foul and say that a given host is out of his or her mind.

Well I wouldn't know, because naturally I've never been to The Styx. [Biased]

I know Chaplehead. It just isn't good enough. [Big Grin]

Posted by Alt Wally (# 3245) on :

quote:
said by Chapelhead: Purgatory For debating the big issues, obviously including women priests, homosexuality etc.
I thought it was purely for discussing Orthodoxy. I guess I'm still learning.

No, it's for proclaiming orthodoxy.

The word "discussion" is actually designed to mislead ... you aren't expected to discuss anything, just state the Truth and have everyone agree to it.

Newbies should always remember that 100% of shipmates are vastly under-educated and are probably mentally retarded. The one and only exception is themselves. In fact, they are the only person who knows anything at all about anything at all. The rest of us are here soley to learn from their wisdom.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Nobody ever actually goes to Shipmeets. [Paranoid] They all post to say they are coming, and then a few days before always posts to say, 'oh dear I'm sorry I can't come now, the dog's sick', or something. The only exception is Dolphy who turns up to every shipmeet going, and sits on her own in the corner, quietly crying into her beer, because nobody came. [Waterworks]

All boards are for saying hello to all your friends, telling them about your recent holidays, romances, break-ups, illnesses and operations. Everyone loves to hear about your academic achievements so feel free to boast!
It is rather like creating your CV, add as much information as you can so that all your fellow shipmates think you are a wonderful person.
Continue to use all available smilies in posts it makes your computer go faster.
[Cool] [Eek!] [Help] [Two face] [Killing me] [Angel] [Snigger] [Axe murder]

The only time these rules were broken was on the occasion of the famous Un-meet held on Feb. 29th last year, somewhere not quite in the vicinity of Cornwall, thanks to Christopher's amazing hospitality (he was totally discreet and unobtrusive, just like all butlers should be).

Everyone from the Ship was there and had a wonderful time - all, that is, except for Dolphy who somehow managed to get lost on the way (for some strange reason she turned North onto the M5 [Confused] ) and by the time she eventually realised her mistake and finally arrived, everyone else had gone home.

The pictures you see as evidence of shipmeets, BTW, are all posed by models. And edited by the amazing science of 'Photofit'.

OK, as Chapelhead pointed out there are several boards on the Ship. Everyone is different, so you will soon find yourself much more at home on one board than another. Stay and become a regular on that board. Build up the sense of community by chatting to the other regulars: you can easily exchange little quips and gossip on the course of a thread. Soon you will have a whole new social network.

And remember, people who read and post to more than one or two boards are sad gits who don't have a life. Just make sure that if you do decide to read or post to a second board that it isn't Hell; it isn't nice.

If you know who someone is in real life, do post plenty of clues so other people can work out where they live, where they work and who their parents are.

Posted by Moschops (# 3034) on :

Make sure that your signature covers more than four lines, and is offensive to at least 50% of the ship's population.

Also, remember that Alan Cresswell loves to receive long PM's detailing the arguments in favour of a literal interpretation of the first chapter of Genesis, especially when supported by evidence for why the Earth can't be more than 7,000 years old.

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister

The pictures you see as evidence of shipmeets, BTW, are all posed by models. And edited by the amazing science of 'Photofit'.

Yes. This is quite true. In real life I am devastatingly handsome. Not like that person who poses as me. I am far sexier than him.

You must also visit the cafe often and refuse to speak. Don't respond to questions about whether you are there or not - the other visitors love that, it really helps their conversations flow. If you manage to fall overboard, your presence often remains in the cafe for quite a while leaving everyone else quessing.

There are other rooms you can visit when in the cafe. You can go and sit there alone whilst everyone else talks about you, then keep popping back to see if you can catch them at it.

Helloooooo?

Start a thread in MW on the virtues of t-totalism. Remember to include the fact that gin in particular is the drink of the devil. You will find that everyone there will agree with you.

The newbie known as robicat is a perfect example to follow.

Posted by Rudderless (# 5329) on :

ehrm....this is a bit of a wind-up, right?

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 3631) on :

That would be correct.

Be sure to take all advice from other shipmates at face value. We are all literalists on the Ship.

Don't bother to read the opening post on a thread. Just jump in after it's got to a few pages and ask "what's this thread about?"

...because no one minds once you explain you didn't have time/couldn't be bothered to read the whole thing.

Posted by shalimar (# 3198) on :

So, what's this thread all about then? [Snigger]

Nice sig, shalimar.

[Be sure to interrupt threads just to let people know you like their sigs.]

Posted by shalimar (# 3198) on :

[Killing me]

(a post with nothing but smileys in is always a good idea, especially in Purgatory)

Posted by Jenny° (# 3131) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Stoo:
Ok...

Say "Yes, Stoo"

shut up grandad.

J

Hosts, admins, and a certain toothy editor can be tiresomely condescending. When they oh-so-politely direct you to cease-and-desist/apologize for your reasonable posts and you oh-so-naturally ignore them or tell them why you are totally within your rights to continue spouti...discoursing and they unreasonably suspend your ass the best response is to send a barrage of self-righteous e-mails to every single admin and especially the toothy editor whining about the unfairness of it all and how this is a public forum and they are against free speech and they are prejudiced against you, your politics, spiritual values, God, country of origin, and your cat.

This will change their minds. [Razz]

Posted by Nightlamp (# 266) on :

Be rude about host's on your second post it makes life more entertaining.

Posted by The Bede's American Successor (# 5042) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nightlamp:
Be rude about host's on your second post it makes life more entertaining.

...for the rest of us.

How come I wasn't allowed to add my bit to a certain dogpile in Hell. It isn't fair. I have my rights. It should have been kept open until this morning, just for me. After all, its all about me.

Each new apprentice should begin their very first thread in Hell. Just call it "Hellooooooo!" You will receive a hearty welcome.

quote:
Originally posted by Rudderless:
ehrm....this is a bit of a wind-up, right?

Did you read the previous three pages? There is some great advice on them, too.

When you are new you should look around the boards and find one or two identities which you take a shine to. Maybe an avatar you like the look of or a shipmate whose posting style you admire.

Go straight to Hell and call them saying: hellloooooo,
Calling *** to Hell. Then you can have a cosy chat with them and get to know them better. Other shipmates may join in the fun and you can enjoy the party.

You should PM them first but who really cares? We are all Christians here so we will just pray for you anyway.

[Angel]

Posted by Androet (# 4133) on :

Thank you so much for all this excellent advice. But how will I ever remember it all so I can post in the One True Way?

<sits and quivers> [Ultra confused]

Best regards,
Androet

quote:
Originally posted by shalimar:
[Killing me]

(a post with nothing but smileys in is always a good idea, especially in Purgatory)

I do so agree, Shalimar. Clever use of smilies is essential in making yourself understood. For example, the judicious placing of [Biased] after a statement ensures that no one can possibly take offence,however offensive or controversial it might be. [Biased]

Most people here are memembers of the BNP and/or KKK. Making neo-nazi remarks is an excellent way to make friends here. The more you often you big-up the BNP, the more friends you will make.

quote:
Originally posted by Androet:
Thank you so much for all this excellent advice. But how will I ever remember it all so I can post in the One True Way?

Best regards,
Androet

Welcome aboard, Androet. Most of us learnt the hard way. Just grab your apprentice's bucket and get mopping. By the time you reach 50 posts and have had the obligatory run in with Erin [Biased] [Biased] (covering myself here [Big Grin] ) you'll wonder what you were worrying about!

I agree with Lurker. Robicat is way cool and very intelligent. I used to believe that some people are just to thick to be allowed to live but Robicat has made me think again. Well done, Robicat.

If one of the admins posts something about throwing you overboard, and then you mysteriously find you cannot login anymore, don't worry. This is merely a game that they play with people who they especially like. You should go to another computer, sign up again under another name, and continue to post as before.

Paul W

quote:
Originally posted by Androet:

And you're from Surrey.

That's baaadd.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister

Yes. This is quite true. In real life I am devastatingly handsome. Not like that person who poses as me. I am far sexier than him.
Is your avatar also posed by a model?

[Big [Biased] ].

[Frown] [Killing me] [Eek!] [Paranoid] [Devil] [Axe murder] [Frown] [Biased]

Sorry Chapelhead. The above is not a response to you.

In order to respond to you, I have to say that I did book a model. I even went to London to meet him but the model didn't turn up so all I got was this lousy baboon. [Biased]

Chapelhead, what is wrong with Surrey? All the best people live there

[Biased] [Cool] [Ultra confused] [Angel]

Apprentices, remember to do this kind of thing when you achieve the exalted rank of Shipmate: start a thread with advice to apprentices that has as many baffling in-jokes as possible. [Big Grin]

Posted by Joyfulsoul (# 4652) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
If you get called onto the rug for being rude, laugh it off and say you were being ironic, or byronic, or something.

You could pretend to understand what people say. And then try to add a clever line showing people how clever you are.

Like here for example, I think, what rhymes with "ironic and byronic" - oh, like "moronic."

One of the things that I really think makes people kind like is if that you like ramble sometimes if you know I mean. and then, then try to cover it up by claiming that no understands you. And go on and on about it. you see what I mean.

[Axe murder]

quote:

[Be sure to interrupt threads just to let people know you like their sigs.]

But only in Hell.

quote:

I thought they lived in Richmond or Delta.

(In-joke for those that know Lower Mainland BC.)

Uh, that'd be me and yes it was nice to recognize a placename or two.

Posted by Androet (# 4133) on :

quote:

Well, I'm in exile, actually.

<looks wistfully northwards>

[Frown]

Best regards,
Androet

You can only post 8 smilies at a time.

To get the full use out of them you will need to post 4 times instead of just once to get their full benefit:

[Smile] [Frown] [Hot and Hormonal] [Big Grin] [Biased] [Razz] [Cool] [Roll Eyes]

[Mad] [Eek!] [Confused] [Ultra confused] [Devil] [Disappointed] [Help] [Snigger]

[Snore] [Yipee] [Paranoid] [Two face] [Killing me] [Waterworks] [Overused] [Angel]

[brick wall] [Projectile] [Axe murder] [Tear] [Votive]

Feel free to post a message saying something like "You're all horrible and mean, and not at all Christian™ . I'm not going to post here again" and then return to continue the discussion the following day. No one will notice at all.

quote:

Croydon is in Surrey! [Big Grin]

Posted by Autobailer (# 5357) on :

Blaspheme as much as possible, particularly in your sig.

Open threads on topics that are on the first page of Dead Horses.

Post leaving notices every couple of months (has anyone ever got round to installing a revolving door?)

quote:
Originally posted by Ags:
quote:

Croydon is in Surrey! [Big Grin]
Pshaw. Croydon is part of London. [Biased]

Useful phrases to include in your posts:

quote:
Originally posted by Autobailer:
Blaspheme as much as possible, particularly in your sig.

Open threads on topics that are on the first page of Dead Horses.

Post leaving notices every couple of months (has anyone ever got round to installing a revolving door?)

Wow! Either this relative newbie (Hi there, nice to meet you, Autobailer! [Big Grin] ) has been lurking for ages, or they've read just about every thread on the boards already, and have really been listening. [Biased]

Obviously, this thread is working its magic!

Gremlin

quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:

Do you get bonus points if you include all of these in a single post?

[tangent]

I thought this was supposed to be a Christian website?™

Has anyone ever considered helping Simon & Co market a tee-shirt with this slogan? If nothing else get a pattern that can be made up for Shipmeets and people can donate $5 a shirt to use the iron-on transfer.

Just a thought. Probably better for the Styx.

[/tangent]

quote:
quote:

• The Bible says
  • The Bible Code says
  • The Pope says
  • Jack Chick says
  • My cat says
  • The voices in my head say
  • You wouldn't understand, you're laity
  • You wouldn't understand, you're a priest
  • My opinion on how the Ship is run is as important as Erin's
  • I thought this was supposed to be a Christian website

Do you get bonus points if you include all of these in a single post?
Only in The Styx.

quote:

Guildford.

quote:
quote:

Guildford.
Ahem! [Disappointed] I'll have you know I went to school there.

p.s. I really do need to change my lens prescription. I logged on for the first time today a few minutes ago, clicked on what I thought was this thread, and was shocked at what I thought Sarkycow was doing to those poor, defenceless new apprentices! [Two face]

Posted by eeGAD (# 4675) on :

What about crusading? Newbies are certainly encouraged to crusade.

Did anybody say that yet? I'm setting a good example and not reading any of the previous pages of posts. Newbies should never read all the posts, that way they can repeat what has already been said!

eeG

Some more good words to use

Include these and everyone will think you a highly intelligent poster.

quote:
Bunkum

Okay, we've had criticism of Surrey on the grounds of the mere existance of Guildford (this I can understand), but why are we bringing the small Essex town of Saffron Walden into the discussion?

Gremlin

p.s. for those who aren't in the know, 'Bunkum' is the local nickname for Saffron Walden, as in the book 'Five Miles From Bunkum' by Chris Ketteridge (a great-great uncle of mine), on the subject of the village of Ashdon where my paternal family lived for about 800 years (until my grandfather's generation when they started moving to the cities).

p.p.s. Apprentices should find a way of inserting completely useless personal history & claims of ancestry into their posts, for the education of our short-historied cousins across 'the pond' [Two face] [Big Grin]

Posted by Amphibalus (# 5351) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gremlin:
...where my paternal family lived for about 800 years (until my grandfather's generation when they started moving to the cities).

Took 'em that long, huh? [Snigger]

Yes, newbies. You see the fact that my grandfather also came from Saffron Walden (which has nothing to do with the thread) where his parents kept the Duke of York pub (which has nothing to do with the thread) which has since been pulled down to make way for yet another retail shed (which has nothing to do with the thread) means that its quite OK for me to engage Gremlin in idle chatter and jolly banter (which has nothing to do with the thread). So just go ahead. Feel free.

quote:
Originally posted by Amphibalus:
Yes, newbies. You see the fact that my grandfather also came from Saffron Walden (which has nothing to do with the thread)

And then, of course, a newbie should always point out the minor error of understanding made by the poster, remembering to a tone suggesting deep affront!

"My grandfather did not 'also' come from Saffron Walden, he came from Ashdon!"

[Big Grin]

Gremlin

Newbies should refrain from showing the slightest familiarity with any aspect whatsoever of both internet and ship culture.

The best thing to do, as has already been said, is to correct well established posters in a petty and pedantic way. You do get bonus points if it turns out that, actually, your "correction" was in error and the original statement by the established poster was correct in every detail.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda Rose of Sharon:
[tangent]

Has anyone ever considered helping Simon & Co market a tee-shirt with this slogan? If nothing else get a pattern that can be made up for Shipmeets and people can donate $5 a shirt to use the iron-on transfer.

[/tangent]

[Big Grin] Lyda-- that is in the Styx somewhere.. I have suggested this also.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
[tangent]

[/tangent]

I figured it must be an obvious idea. You remember what came of it?

See, newbies, this is what is called a tangent and it is an especially good one since it breaks up the monotony of the board themes by placing a Styx subject on a Heaven thread.

I thought Saffron Walden was in Suffolk, or Cambridgeshire, but clearly I was wrong.

Not that I have anything against Essex, you understand - not like Surrey.

[ 16. January 2004, 07:15: Message edited by: Chapelhead ]

Posted by Tom Day (# 3630) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
[tangent]

[/tangent]

Not any more Kelly - I looked for it so I could link it in but couldn't find it anywhere.

Tom

quote:
I thought Saffron Walden was in Suffolk, or Cambridgeshire, but clearly I was wrong.

Nope, Saffron Walden is in Essex, at least the YHA (Youth Hostel Association) and the BBC agree with me. [Big Grin]

Gremlin

quote:
Saffron Walden is in Essex, at least the YHA (Youth Hostel Association) and the BBC agree with me. [Big Grin]

Gremlin

Quite so. Perhaps I was thinking along the lines of "Essex, what good thing ever came from there".

Two counties down, only about 37 left to insult.

Newbies should remember that:

A) All Americans are right-wing, anarchist nutters who want to kill black people, invade every other country in existence so they can plant MacDonalds there and have no visible education. They are also brainwashed.

B) All British people are paranoid communists who wish they were still an empire. British people all have delusions of grandeur caused by being an ex-empire and we all love the Queen.

C) Every single Canadian or New Zealander is just plain weird and never, ever to be taken seriously.

D) All Asians are terrorists.

E) if your opponent is from some other place, s/he is all of the above and more.

Rememer these basic rules and post accordingly. It will help you to win arguements.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

(more tangent fun!)

It was a long time ago, Tom.. I may have even discussed it in the cafe, now that I think of it. [Hot and Hormonal]

Ok, on to advice.

Never, ever, ever read the All Saints threads. It will give you personal information about shipmates that will color your objectivity and dull your killer posting instinct.Knowing where someone is coming from only distracts your from your cunning analysis of syntax and rhetoric and snappy comeback openings. Save yourself.

Continuing Tangent

There was a long running thread in the Styx about Ship merchandise, especially t-shirts, but nothing ever came of it. It's only been deleted fairly recently, I think.

Paul W

Which reminds me of more advice to offer ...

Threads that have been inactive for a few weeks are liable to be deleted by the Hosts. You need to ensure that when a thread is deleted you whine vociferously about the Hosts killing off a discussion you and others had lots more to say on. The fact that no one had bothered to actually contribute for more than 2 weeks is irrelevant.

[also don't worry too much about awful grammar]

[ 18. January 2004, 21:47: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

The ideal way to do this whining is to start a thread in Hell.

Paul W

quote:
Threads that have been inactive for a few weeks are liable to be deleted by the Hosts. You need to ensure that when a thread is deleted you whine vociferously about the Hosts killing off a discussion you and others had lots more to say on. The fact that no one had bothered to actually contribute for more than 2 weeks is irrelevant.

The word "Nazi" is particularly useful in this context.

Posted by Stitch (# 129) on :

quote:
B) All British people are paranoid communists who wish they were still an empire. British people all have delusions of grandeur caused by being an ex-empire and we all love the Queen.

Wow, so we're all crypto-royalist, communists with paranoid delusions of grandeur; what a lovely set of contradictions. [Paranoid]

quote:
C) Every single Canadian or New Zealander is just plain weird and never, ever to be taken seriously.
But this one is actually right! [Two face]

Stitch

p.s. ain't it difficult to remember to sign with the right name, just after changing it! [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Ann (# 94) on :

quote:
Which reminds me of more advice to offer ...

[also don't worry too much about awful grammar]

Of course, to show that you know the ropes, to stop a thread being deleted, just post the word "bump" to it every day. For a fortnight.

(And Stitch, where does babybear say she lives now? Cottage of the three bears and ...?)

Posted by Hilaros (# 1439) on :

Start a thread in Hell about something really disgusting. Others will come along and support you with contributions of their own. Eventually Sine Nomine will show up and thank you for sharing. This is a sign that you are now a member of the Ship's "in-crowd."

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
(And Stitch, where does babybear say she lives now? Cottage of the three bears and ...?)

Same place as last week, AFAIK! [Devil]

Her 'location' is her problem, though, not mine!

Stitch

quote:
Originally posted by Stitch:

quote:
But this one is actually right! [Two face]

Stitch

Ah, no. Taking a swipe at a Welshman is just so redundant. Besides they already have such a cross to bear.

quote:
Taking a swipe at a Welshman is just so redundant. Besides they already have such a cross to bear.

It could be worse, they could be from Shropshire. [Biased]

(36 to go).

quote:
Ah, no. Taking a swipe at a Welshman is just so redundant. Besides they already have such a cross to bear.

Shame I'm not a Welshman then. [Big Grin]

Stitch

I'll just lie low and hope nobody mentions Bognor Regis. [Snigger]

I forgot...what's this thread about?

quote:
Originally posted by Miffy:
I forgot...what's this thread about?

Helping Apprentices, especially ones unfortunate anought to come from Sussex, a county so awful that half of it won't speak to the other half.

Apprentices - as a number of people have suggested, it's important not to make rash judgements about folk based on where they were born or live.

(35 to go)

Chapelhead
I really must take you to Hell if you keep on upsetting me.
I was born in Sussex - a wonderful county and now live in Surrey - another lovely place to live.
How come you hate both counties with so much venom.
PS Sorry to go off on a tangent in this very helpful advice thread!

don't take it personally, Angel, Chapelhead was being just as rude about Shropshire a few posts ago. (I hope it's a lovely place, as I'm going there on holiday this year...)
Remember the rules on this thread - things are not what they seem.
All apprentices should remember the only place in the world that is worth visiting is Cream Tealand [Cool]

Got a favourite topic that you just can't stop banging on about? Are all your friends getting tired of you bringing it up all day and night? Can you turn a potentially interesting discussion into a mind-numbing re-run of what you went on about yesterday, until someone tried to strangle you?
If yes, SoF needs YOU!. Dedication and persistence are rewarded here.

Start your discussion in a new thread on any board and watch it go. Or not. If it does not go (or, if it does for a while then dies) start it again on another board, with a twist. Make sure the title of your thread cleverly disguises the fact that it is a re-run of your old thread. When that dies, go to yet another board and another title. Administrators are a bit dim and won't notice that it's just you again, with your hobby-horse.

In the meantime, bring your pet subject into as many other threads as you can. No matter how inappropriate the title may seem, you can work it in. You can probably even turn it into a game in The Circus. Go for it.

Posted by Silver Indian (# 4958) on :

Well, I read the first page and a half and got a bit bored so I don't know what's been discussed after that but I thought I'd boost my quest toward being a full shipmate by posting. Thanks for the hint's on hell, I'll be sure to take them onboard. [Big Grin]

Silver Indian, you clearly took on a whole lot of the advice on this thread.

Do i read a slight hint of sarcasm Mr Cresswell? (ooooh, another post!)

That would be Dr Cresswell to you. Or Sir.

The Apprentices of today [Roll Eyes] [Disappointed]

quote:
That would be Dr Cresswell to you. Or Sir.

The Apprentices of today [Roll Eyes] [Disappointed]

They're just not up to the calibre of those we used to get on the old boards, are they? [brick wall]

Stitch [Snigger]

quote:
Chapelhead
I really must take you to Hell if you keep on upsetting me.
I was born in Sussex - a wonderful county and now live in Surrey - another lovely place to live.
How come you hate both counties with so much venom.
PS Sorry to go off on a tangent in this very helpful advice thread!

Angel - you are a soul friend. [Angel] I was brought up in Sussex (though not Bognor Regis), moved to Surrey, moved to Bog, moved to Berks,fled the country, moved back to Berks. I won't have a word said against them! [Big Grin]

Miffy! [Overused] [Angel]

"Berks."

Says it all really.

(34)

Chapelhead are you on a forfeit to name as many counties as possible in as few threads as possible, or something?
What young Bucks set you up to this? [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Chapelhead are you on a forfeit to name as many counties as possible in as few threads as possible, or something?

Another thing that Apprentices should be able to learn without too much difficulty is finding a single idea to post on constantly, even if it has nothing to do with the OP.

The best thing about Devon is that it has some good roads so you can get out of the county quickly. Unfortunately they lead to Cornwall.

(That counts as two).

Can anyone name any town in Herfordshire (apart, obviously, from Hertford). But then, why would you want to?

(31)

Chapelhead - Herfordshire - can't you spell?
[Big Grin]

Posted by Amphibalus (# 5351) on :

quote:
Can anyone name any town in Herfordshire (apart, obviously, from Hertford). But then, why would you want to?

As a native Albanian, whose spiritual home is the resting place of the proto-martyr of England (St Albans - there I've named one!), I would just like to say....

paints on Groucho moustache, sticks cigar in mouth, waggles eyebrows, walks along with bent knees

...'This means war!'

(OK, so the rest of Hertfordshire is full of New Towns - point made [Two face] )

quote:
Chapelhead - Herfordshire - can't you spell?

Taking the 't' is like taking the p***, but at an earlier stage. [Biased]

quote:

Ah, you're thinking of Watford again, aren't you. Serve you right. Let me add to your pain by mentioning Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead.

Posted by Duo Seraphim (# 3251) on :

quote:
quote:

Ah, you're thinking of Watford again, aren't you. Serve you right. Let me add to your pain by mentioning Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead.
Hitchen, where I was born. My late Grandad used to call me a "Hertfordshire hedgehog". Never did work out the connection.

Posted by Yesod (# 5429) on :

Well I'm catholic not Catholic but...

...I do have a rosary blessed by the pope
...i do have an NIV

How does that rate

[Smile]

Posted by Yesod (# 5429) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Yesod:
Well I'm catholic not Catholic but...

...I do have a rosary blessed by the pope
...i do have an NIV

How does that rate

[Smile]

Make sure you post in the right thread [Hot and Hormonal]

There's nothing better than teaching by example.

Welcome, Yesod.

And for the people living in Hertfordshire, you can console yourselves, at least it isn't Staffordshire.

(30)

And Ballarat is God's own country.

Posted by Spookyrach (# 5381) on :

Have hastily read all six pages of advice while I was supposed to be working. Am now deeply concerned by the fact that I have nothing to say, but feel a need to put the advice to use. Especially after wasting - ummm, I mean investing - all this time! Is this a sin?

quote:
Originally posted by Spookyrach:
Is this a sin?

Reading anything I have posted is never a sin.

Nice sig, BTW.

Now should I comment about Texas?

Posted by Spookyrach (# 5381) on :

Feel free. We could use some humility fodder around here.

quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
quote:
quote:

Hitchen, where I was born. My late Grandad used to call me a "Hertfordshire hedgehog". Never did work out the connection.
I have family in Hitchin. I could understand a squirrel reference due to the "famous" Balck Squirrels around Hitchin, Letchworth etc.

Can I say that I have also lived in Letchworth and that it, together with the entirety of its surrounding area, is a total dump?

Cheers.

Posted by musician (# 4873) on :

quote:
Can I say that I have also lived in Letchworth and that it, together with the entirety of its surrounding area, is a total dump?
If that includes Hitchin, that can't be right.

I once heard Peter Hurford play the organ in St Mary's one summer evening.

Truly awesome.

And then there's Hitchin market, where my dad bought a brightly coloured blanket 36 years ago for 2/6d and now it's the dog's.

Letchworth? I wonder if like Leck-field etc this placename is connected to the growing of leeks.

They were a very popular and flavoursome vegetable in medieval times and a surprisingly large number of place names have -leek- as a root.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm leeks mmmmmmmmmmmmm yum...especially in cheese sauce. Or little baby leeks steamed. Or leeks perking up soup with a hint of onion flavour. Such a perfect marriage of taste and texture...as long as you get the fiddly bits of dirt out...

Posted by The Wanderer (# 182) on :

As a newcomer you will be able to see things clearly, without all the preconceptions that have led others into error. Please point out the mistakes that others have made, in very simple language, so that they can see how stupid they have been.

A very good area to start is explaining the faults of another country. British posters need to be reminded that they live in a police state where there is no freedom of speech. American posters all agree with the President (it's such a small country), and find it really helpful to be challenged about this.

Posted by Kishi (# 4534) on :

One of the major goals of posting on SOF is to attempt to derail and and kill any thread that you don't like. One of the best methods for doing so is to pick an unrelated topic that a few people on board might be interested in but that everyone else finds INCREDIBLY BORING and then run on endlessly with brief posts about that topic with the few mindless sheep (or, at least, the wolves in mindless sheep clothing that agree with you that the the thread should be killed) who you can engage in doing so. Some topics along these lines might include vegetables; references (the obscurer the better) to the works of Douglas Adams, C. S. Lewis, Monty Python or Terry Pratchett; cheeses; or stereotypical British geography.

Or the pros and cons of Unix.

[ Was about to get all Hostly about the geography tangent, but it looks like things are back on course ]

[ 22. January 2004, 18:35: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

Speaking about body parts and bodily functions is welcomed on the ship. particularly the comments which allow you to use the
[Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] [Projectile] smilie

And spreading love and Christian kindness to Hell is especially appreciated so use the axe-murd...love smilie there at every opportunity. But don't limit yourself. Try spreading the love in Keryg. It will make their crusty, pedantic hearts go pitty-pat.
[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

Remember that there is nothing more important than passing significant landmarks in the number of posts you have.

This is, for example, my 6000th post.

Posted by Tallulah (# 3131) on :

completly blank posts are always amusing and useful in a discussion.

and it show how wonderful a comand of UBB you have.

J

see?

J.

Posted by MatrixUK (# 3452) on :

To all apprentices, Kishi's list is an impressive one, but fails to mention the importance of custard. You'd do well to remember the love that shipmates have for this stuff, and that they can wax lyrical for hours if allowed to do so.

Regards
M UK

How to apologise

"I'm sorry you're offended, but there was nothing wrong with what I said and if you've taken offence it's your own stupid fault for being too thin-skinned and too thick to realise the correctness of what I've said. So let me pat you on the head and say 'Ah, diddums' and all will be well".

[I don't believe I've mentions Leicestershire. And aren't you glad.]

Whenever you find things becoming a bit sticky for you, just throw out some random scripture, preceded by these exact words: "The Bible says..." Then say no more. The other posters will be so touched and enlightened they will acquiesce to your every whim.

Posted by Emma. (# 3571) on :

mwahahahahah

Why Chapelhead and Grits, who CAN you be referring to? [Confused]

Well, I could actually be referring to myself...

At the age of 28 maybe . . . .

Moi? [Angel]

Posted by Boopy (# 4738) on :

If you don't really have anything to say on a thread, but want to express friendly interest, be sure to start a side game of noughts and crosses in the middle of a fierce debate. This is always a welcome tangent in a Purgatory thread, and people will fight to join in your game.

_[ ]_
_[0]_
_[ ]_

I agree.

X[ ]_
_[0]_
_[ ]_

It is even better to do it in Hell, especially on a thread that a Hellhost has specifically said is important and shouldn't be messed with in such a manner. Remember Hellhosts are really fluffy bunnies putting on an act, and really do prefer to see fluffy stuff in Hell.

X[ ]0
_[0]_
_[ ]_

......and do insist on completing your game; remember the board rules don't apply to you, as a newcomer, and it's very rude not to finish any tangent you may have started. You may need to politely remind any lurking Hosts that you haven't quite finished your game, should they kindly show an interest.

X[ ]0
_[0]_
0[ ]_ [Cool] [Razz] [Biased] [Big Grin]

Be sure to draw attention to your win with lots of boastful smilies, too. Try to arrange for this to happen when the thread argument is at its height; people will appreciate your efforts to calm things down. Finally, don't forget to start a special new thread in Purgatory about strategies for noughts and crosses, with a link to your winning post; this will help everyone to get to know you quickly, and you'll be amazed at the swift response.

Remember this is a magazine of Christian Unrest. Therefore, unconventional is perfectly right. Like the unconventional move of putting an 0 into a game of noughts and crosses, despite the conventional next move being a X.

quote:
Therefore, unconventional is perfectly right. Like the unconventional move of putting an 0 into a game of noughts and crosses, despite the conventional next move being a X.

And I thought this was supposed to be a Christian site. [Disappointed]

quote:
Remember this is a magazine of Christian Unrest. Therefore, unconventional is perfectly right. Like the unconventional move of putting an 0 into a game of noughts and crosses, despite the conventional next move being a X.

Hmmm. Thinks.

Two possible responses to this Alan:

a) fair cop, hoist by mine own petard, etc, which is true but not relevant to the thread, or,

b) this was merely a demonstration of the way in which Apprentices are encouraged to play games according to odd, unconventional rules no one else has heard of, and then make a fuss when people call them on it.

In MY noughts and crosses game according to Boopy's Rules, the next move was, of course, a 0. [Devil]

I think that either Boopy should call Alan to Hell, or the other way round - I'm just not sure which.

Posted by siobhan (# 5464) on :

I am a newbie - well, an old member who got lost -and I have a question. No, really.
Is there anyone on this board where one can post announcements? e.g. this?
I wondered about making an announcement, asking for fiction etc, in All Saints. What do you more experienced types reckon (obviously this is an academic-type announce and I wouldn't want to post it in the wrong place). Would it be offensive to ask in Purgatory?

Remainder of post deleted by Member Admin - see below

[ 28. January 2004, 20:44: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Hi Soibhan and welcome to the ship. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Just working on a hunch, don't take this the wrong way, I have a feeling that the announcement might be seen as a form of advertising. As such you would be better to contact the editors of the ship directly to see what they say. I hear their rates are very reasonable. [Biased]

Any questions relating to where things should go, what you should do (if not in the FAQ's) need to be posted in the Styx. (The boards about the boards).

Alternatively, if you were to follow the advice on this thread, just post it on the first board which you take a fancy to.*

*Anti derailment statement [Biased] . (Did you see what I did there??? [Big Grin] )

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

Admin hat on

siobhan: First, if you have previously registered for the boards, please use that registration.

Second, if you would like to advertise on the Ship, please contact Simon regarding the rates. If you would like to put a short announcement (4 lines or less saying something like "PM or email me for information about submitting to such and such a journal) in your signature, that would be fine.

RuthW
Member Admin

[typos]

[ 28. January 2004, 21:01: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posted by Zwingli (# 4438) on :

Members of a magazine of Christian Unrest are obviously disappointed with their current churches, so just invite them to yours! They will be in no way annoyed that you keep asking and asking, and saying how wonderful and friendly everyone is there will only encourage them to come. Link to your churches web page on every thread you post on and say the doctrine statement explains your point perfectly; the hosts will love you for this.

Develop a crush on a shipmate based solely on their posting style. Tell them how much you agree and how cute you think their avatar is. Ignore any actual photos of them from shipmeets or linked to through their profile. Ask if they resemble their avatar. Erin in particular will be won over by this approach.

Remember you need 50 posts to become a shipmate but can apply to be a Host after just 20. Make 20 posts in Heaven then apply to host in Hell.

This post (50) should mean I'm not an apprentice any more! [Yipee]

Nope, as many Apprentices mis-understand.. it's the 51st post that means you graduate to a Real Person™.

Gremlin

And when you get to a thousand posts you get to be a Real Velveteen Rabbit™.

Until then you're just a fluffy bunny. [Biased]

By this logic Real Velveteen Rabbit™ status should be aceived at 1001

Posted by Snooty Fox (# 5470) on :

quote:

Pictures...bunnies and rabbits...sitting at their computers...in all seriousness...glasses perched at end of nose, paw on chin... [Ultra confused]

-SF-

Posted by musician (# 4873) on :

..with a dooling, licking-of-lips Snooty Fox in the background tip-toeing ever closer....

[Snigger]

Posted by Snooty Fox (# 5470) on :

It all seems a bit modern-day Beatrix Potter. The Tale of Mr Fluffy Bunny.com [Roll Eyes]

-SF-

quote:

Hear, hear! [Big Grin]

At 750 posts you get a bar of Green & Blacks Chocolate and 2000 posts reward you with a bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin.

The hosts just love sending out all these prizes - posts mean prizes a la Bruce Forsyth [Big Grin]

quote:
At 750 posts you get a bar of Green & Blacks Chocolate and 2000 posts reward you with a bottle of Bombay Sapphire Gin.

The hosts just love sending out all these prizes - posts mean prizes a la Bruce Forsyth [Big Grin]

Hey! Where the hell are my chocolate and gin? [Mad]

Although if gin is in short supply (hoping, hoping) I'd graciously accept belated Stoli Vodka.

OK, so now am I no longer an appentice?
[Big Grin]

Posted by Jonah the Whale (# 1244) on :

Congratulations Silver Indian!

quote:
It's the 51st post that means you graduate to a Real Person™.

Unless you happen to be a celebrity organist.

[ 13. February 2004, 10:35: Message edited by: Jonah the Whale ]

Posted by Norman the Peasant (# 5477) on :

Argh - rumbled!! [Ultra confused]

Posted by Abishag (# 4710) on :

quote:
Members of a magazine of Christian Unrest are obviously disappointed with their current churches, so just invite them to yours!
What a good idea! I'm a Prison Chaplain...any apprentices want to come to my Church? [Big Grin]

I can say this because I've just noticed I'm not an apprentice any longer! [Cool]

Abishag

Chapelhead you haven't got round to my county yet...it's one of those with no vowels in its name.

Abishag

When no-one replies to your posts; keep on posting and talking to yourself. Everyone is reading your posts with bated breath and great respect!

Abishag

Posted by pânts. (# 4487) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Abishag:
When no-one replies to your posts; keep on posting and talking to yourself. Everyone is reading your posts with bated breath and great respect!

Abishag

[Overused]

[Snigger]

quote:
Chapelhead you haven't got round to my county yet...it's one of those with no vowels in its name.

Clywd?

(Of course, in Welsh, it has exactly the same spelling, but the 'y' and the 'w' are both vowels)

Gremlin

Da iawn! Formerly known as Flintshire detached....detached from what I don't know! But I'm sure Chapelhead will have something derrogatory to say about it.....in fact I'll feel offended if not! Are you from the same place, Gremlin?

Abishag

[ 15. February 2004, 20:39: Message edited by: Abishag ]

bore da. rydw'n hoffi beico yn y mynedd achos rydw'n hoffi y cae ( [Disappointed] my spelling always was crap in english...what hope have i got in welsh!!)

Helo pants - sut wyt ti? Ble ydy Zumoid yng Nghymru??? [Confused] Raidd i fi ymarfer fy Gymraeg eto.

Abishag

Yes; new apprentices - all the shipmates speak Welsh and it is important to converse with each of them in Welsh on your first encounter.

[ 15. February 2004, 20:51: Message edited by: Abishag ]

Posted by MarkthePunk (# 683) on :

What kind of drugs are you Heavenly druggy bunnies using?

What kind of drugs do you want, Mark? [Biased]

quote:
Da iawn! Formerly known as Flintshire detached....detached from what I don't know! But I'm sure Chapelhead will have something derrogatory to say about it.....in fact I'll feel offended if not! Are you from the same place, Gremlin?

Close. I live near Flintshire, but originate many other places. [Smile]

Actually, Clwyd no longer exists, it is now Flintshire, Denbighshire and Conwy. However, many postcode-lookup databases still have it has Clwyd [Mad]

Gremlin

quote:
Helo pants - sut wyt ti? Ble ydy Zumoid yng Nghymru??? [Confused] Raidd i fi ymarfer fy Gymraeg eto.

fine ta. its not... its in another world!!! even further away than wales!! [Snigger] something about welsh... but i dunno wat!!

quote:

I haven't been isulting any counties recently as I've been away for 10 days (and not a single post or PM saying "Where's Chapelhead?" [Disappointed] ).

Actually I had only planned to insult the English counties, on the grounds that everywhere west of the border is just too God-awful to need insulting. This is especially the case for Clwyd, a place so bad that the powers-that-be could only stand it for 22 years before putting it out of our misery. A mercy killing if ever there was.

In the light of current discussion in The Styx - make sure you have at least 5 lines in your signature.
The hosts and admins will love you for it. [Biased]

dont ever use punctuation or capital letters

Posted by Norman the Peasant (# 5477) on :

It is a tradition that all new members should use their first post in the following way:

Go to the board marked "Hell", and create a thread entitled "Calling Erin". The content of the OP is really not important. As you will soon find out. [Devil]

quote:
quote:

Close. I live near Flintshire, but originate many other places. [Smile]

Actually, Clwyd no longer exists, it is now Flintshire, Denbighshire and Conwy. However, many postcode-lookup databases still have it has Clwyd [Mad]

Gremlin

I was one of those insisting upon using it when I lived there! The alternative was the County Borough of Wrexham (which you left out of your list...you obviously found it memorable! [Big Grin] )

Chapelhead - thank you for the insult which was first class! Now can I trouble you to insult Bromsgrove?

Pants - ble ydy Zumoid? dw i'n eishi ymweld yno! Yes there is something about Welsh...well maybe not my Welsh! [Big Grin]

advice to apprentices; when using the reply with quotes button, never edit the contents of the post you are quoting - no matter how many previous quotes have been used within it!

Abishag

[ 19. February 2004, 17:20: Message edited by: Abishag ]

quote:
Pants - ble ydy Zumoid? dw i'n eishi ymweld yno! Yes there is something about Welsh...well maybe not my Welsh! [Big Grin]

Abishag

zumoid is ... well... kinda in mr pants strange mind (yes he's almost as bad as me!!!). [Big Grin]

Bad is the best way to be, isn't it? Being good never got me very far.....wish I could be really bad! It's this Christian guilt stuff that's the problem.....

Abishag

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

.......keep your nose clean and always wear clean underwear!

[Big Grin] [Biased] [Cool] [Roll Eyes] [Snigger] [Yipee]

Insert a string of random smilies at the end of every post.

[Smile] [Frown] [Mad] [Roll Eyes] [Confused] [Disappointed] [Snore] [Paranoid]

Posted by MatrixUK (# 3452) on :

ahem..

Timely bump to tie in with current styx thread...

M UK

Posted by barrea (# 3211) on :

Never say what you really think or you will get suspended for two weeks

Gee, I would think that would depend on how and where you say it.

quote:
Originally posted by barrea:

Not yet. Did you?

Gremlin

Steal other peoples ideas. Find something on a thread which you think may be eye-catching and reproduce it as your own work.

Everyone will love you for it and along will come lots of smilies.

[Overused] [Axe murder] [Overused] [Axe murder] [Overused]

quote:

Funny cos I really think you are an asshat. What do I do now, just sit and wait for the suspension?

Where is the twiddleing thumbs smilie?

P

Posted by barrea (# 3211) on :

quote:
quote:

Not yet. Did you?

Gremlin

Yes just after I started, But that is water under the bridge now.

Posted by Stoo (# 254) on :

[Tricorne hat on]

Pyx_e, Gremlin and Barrea,

If you have a problem with each other, take it to Hell.

Barrea, if you have a problem with Ship policy, take it to the Styx.

[Tricorne hat off]

Sorry, that came across (with re-reading 24 hours later) as rather more agressive than intended.

Gremlin

Do use all CAPITALS in thread titles. This will make people realise that your thread is so much more important than any of the other threads.

This is especially important when it's an extremely lame thread.

Posted by kiwigoldfish (# 5512) on :

And remember, one strike and you are out.

If you start a thread and noone really pays attention to it, or if one of your replies to another thread is ignored, your calling is probably on another bulletin board. After all, we are all ignorant infidels here anyway, and your intellectual superiority will be lost on us.

((Someone please make a nice comment about this or I might just cry and leave.))

(((that's not a promise)))

What you may have failed to notice is the existence of various ‘in-crowds’ on these boards, which act like powerful but secretive fraternities. One of the most influential of these is known as ‘The 0 group’, which comprises people who have started threads that have received no responses whatsoever.

It is rumoured that The 0 Group issues commands to the illuminati, and was responsible for the assassination of Simon and his replacement by a simulacrum.

Election to this group is purely on merit, so if you wish to join it then the best course of action is to begin plenty of threads that are so lame that they are likely to receive no responses. The Hosts won’t mind about this as they are all aware of the existence of The 0 Group and will understand your plan.

Of course, now I have revealed this they will have to kill me.

© Ship of Fools 2016