Thread: Dead Horses: Transsexual woman allowed to marry Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000471

Posted by babybear (# 34) on :

quote:
BBC report
A British transsexual has won her battle in the European Court of Human Rights to be recognised as a woman and be allowed to marry.

It believe this now opens the doors for other transsexuals to marry.

bb

[ 21. October 2005, 07:47: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Posted by Olorin (# 2010) on :

But how is 'she' a woman? If you were to take some DNA & clone it you would get another man. If she were not to take the hormones & other tablets on a daily basis 'her' body would revert back to its natural male state (sans surgically missing bits). While a considerable amount of cosmetic, surgical & chemical altering can be done to the human form, it only alters the surface. The underlying DNA superstructure remains untouched.
To recognise & respect that a transexual is 'Other' and appreciate them as human beings is one thing, but to call them what they basically are not seems illogical.
I actually picked up most of this idea from Germaine Greer discussing a transexual student being accepted into an Oxford Women only college.

Posted by fusilli (# 2930) on :

quote:
If you were to take some DNA & clone it you would get another man
I don't know about the particular case in the OP but the above statement is not necessarily true as there are a few people who are sexually indeterminate (YYX instead of YY or YX). I don't know if this makes a differnece to the arguement or not.

There were a couple of really god articles in the Christian Press last year. I found some refs:

A Personal Testimony
So what is a Christian response to transsexuals?

There was also an article about a church that minsitered to and lovingly integrated a transsexual who wanted to revert. Unfortunatley, I couldn't find a link to that.

[Cool]

Posted by Lux Mundi (# 1981) on :

By saying that a persons DNA defines them as who they are, surely we are rejecting the right for them to define themselves as who they are, not just as what they are. Surely to define someone simply by what chromosomes or genetic make-up they have we are predicting who they are, and determining it for them. Surely it is society, familial upbrining, psychological upbringing which develops who we are, dosed with a liberal sprinkling of the Holy Spirit (who is the Lord the giver of Life), and some influence of other people, not mentioned above.

It may not be morally/ ethically right for a transexual to marry someone of the same sex (if they perceive themselves as being Male-Female or Female-Male), but it is not a biological point per se.

We surely have to allow this person to be the person they feel themselves to be (over and above what a biological determinism might assume). After this we must then review the ethical and moral issues, and base the decision on that. Ok it might not be right for that person to marry, but at least lets affirm in them there right to be them.

Posted by The Coot (# 220) on :

quote:
Originally posted by fusilli:
There were a couple of really god articles in the Christian Press last year. I found some refs:

A Personal Testimony

Oh God. Give me strength.

I'm deeply happy for Keith Tiller. I guess all that we can say about him then, is that he does not suffer from gender dysphoria, also known as gender identity disorder and congenital gender disability, which is an internationally recognised medical condition and treated under the strict conditions of the
Harry Benjamin Standards of Care.

Fusilli, acquaint yourself more thoroughly on the subject matter before you start posting links to misinformed material that is harmful to and misrepresenting of persons with gender dysphoria. Namely, articles that describe gender dysphoria as 'an addiction' and 'a self-determined gender identity'.
quote:
From Mr Tiller's testimony:
Last year (1999) the Evangelical Alliance commissioned a report on transsexuality which has just been published by Paternoster. It is the most comprehensive publication on the subject to date – anywhere.

It is not the most comprehensive publication on the subject to date, but it may well be the most academically dishonest publication on the subject to date. I knew it would only be a matter of time before the EA's book on Transsexuality became the de jure standard for christian understanding and response on the matter. Jesus wept.

I couldn't get the 2nd link to load. That is probably a good thing.

[fixed UBB for URL]

[ 11 July 2002, 13:31: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Please remember that some of our shipmates have identified themselves as being transsexuals. 'They' are part of the ship's community; 'they are 'us'.

bb

Posted by Atticus (# 2212) on :

With all deference to transexuals, I'm not sure I buy into this whole "allowing people to define themselves" bit. Not having to do with sex necessarily, but I can't define myself as a geriatric woman of African descent just because I want to. I agree that society should not define people for them, but there are facts in this old world of ours, one of the facts is that I am a young white male. I can't change that just because I don't like it. Sure I'd like to be Morgan Freeman, but I CAN'T. It is not my right to be called Morgan Freeman and referred to as that "old sexy black guy" just because I want it that way.(I don't mean that as an argument against transexuality, but rather against post-modern mumbojumbo)
Frankly folks should be allowed to marry whomever they please (provided churches be allowed to decide who they do and don't marry, according to their beliefs). But saying we can redefine ourselves however and whenever we want is bunk. We are who we are, we are who we were born as, we are the sum total of our decisions, we cannot just up and decide to be something we are not. Accept the facts and deal with them as you will, surgically or otherwise, but don't try to negate the facts of life.

Before we understood about genetics, hormones, or how various bits of the brain work society had already decided that there were two sexs, male and female.

Males were males, females were females. Most of the time they liked others of the opposite sex. Transsexuals were probably seen as being effeminate/butch and homosexual.

Then along comes genetics which says that there are males XY and females XX, but there are also 'in-betweeners' XXY XYY etc. Then after a while people start working out that hormones have a huge deal to do with how the body works, and that hormone can 'over-rule' the 'starting position'.

And we still try to make everyone fit into the male and females categories!

Christine Goodwin, regardless of her 'starting point', feels more at home being crammed into the 'female' box that the 'male' one. As she is the one who knows what is going on inside herself, then it should be she who decides.

bb

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

I'm not a doctor or scientist so I may have this all wrong but here's how I see it.
Humans have a thousand ways they can mess up the body God gave them. Some of these mistakes can happen in utero. Just as a healthy fetus can be harmed by thalidomide it can also be harmed by injested hormones.

All embryoes look female for the first few months and then the ones intended to be male are filled with testosterone (more than they'll have again until puberty) and the "ovaries" desend and become testicles while the "clitoris" grows into a penis and the vagina closes over. This process is usually only completed during the last few hours before birth.

Now, say the mother is carrying a fetus whom God intended to be a girl. It has a female mind. Suddenly, due to a pill or hormone laced beef or tainted water or whatever, the mother ingests excess testosterone and the fetus, all unintended by nature, develops male characteristics. Is she not still a female? Are the male apendages as mistaken on her body as the sad effects of thalidomide on another? Doesn't she have a right to correct this and live her life as she was originally intended?

quote:
Originally posted by Olorin:
But how is 'she' a woman? If you were to take some DNA & clone it you would get another man. If she were not to take the hormones & other tablets on a daily basis 'her' body would revert back to its natural male state (sans surgically missing bits).

Because you are approaching the matter from genetics I offer you the example of CAIS (Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome) women. These are XY women, typically with beautiful, leggy, voluptuous bodies and female genitalia. If you clone one, you will get another XY person, who will show the same body-type. These women are often not even aware of their chromosome make-up until they reach puberty and don't menstruate, or they try to conceive (some similar conditions eg. Swyer syndrome, the woman menstruates but goes through a very early menopause). Take a look at these women: CAIS women and ask yourself if you could tell them they weren't really women and they couldn't marry. If the site is down because it has exceeded its no. of page views, then look at Jamie Lee Curtis who is a classic CAIS looking woman. (She has not confirmed it, but also never denied it). No-one in their right mind would try to get them to 'revert' or attempt to be physically congruent to their chromosomal sex (which with their resistance to the effects of testosterone means it can only happen via masectomy and other surgical procedures).

I am using an intersex condition to demonstrate, but consider that there also exist C (and partial) AIS XY men. Men who may have been raised as girls, gone through a distressing puberty but in the face of all visible physical evidence insist that they are men, and then undertake surgical reassignment to make their body congruent with their core gender.

I used this example to show that chromosomal sex is not the last word.

So then, is the case of a transsexual woman any different?
quote:
While a considerable amount of cosmetic, surgical & chemical altering can be done to the human form, it only alters the surface. The underlying DNA superstructure remains untouched.
You've not mentioned the core identity. That also is untouched. And in a true transsexual the core identity (we are talking here about a male-to-female transition) was female to begin with.

The aetiology of gender dysphoria is still in dispute, but there is evidence that a major part is determined by the in utero hormone environment of the foetus. So consider an XX foetus which is exposed to large amounts of testosterone in utero. At the crucial moment, the foetus' brain is masculinised - as happens in the normal development of an XY foetus. Therefore, I suggest it is no more possible or ethical to get an transsexual man to 'revert' than it is for a biological man. Not only that, but when couched in terms of 'christian healing and wholeness' it is immoral and dangerous.

quote:
To recognise & respect that a transexual is 'Other' and appreciate them as human beings is one thing, but to call them what they basically are not seems illogical.
You've missed the point! What sort of 'not quite one of us' comment is that?! A transsexual is not other! In his masculinity and identity a transsexual man is like any other man. He may not have any equipment (yet), but what's in a man's pants is not the defining characteristic of a man.

quote:
I actually picked up most of this idea from Germaine Greer discussing a transexual student being accepted into an Oxford Women only college.
Germaine Greer boxing herself into a corner on CAIS and being her usual compassionate self.

For me people are people regardless. God loves 'em & the rest of us are trying.
The idea that we can define ourselves completely separately & independant from basic biological facts seems odd. As current medicine stands, I can not describe myself as having long blond hair. I am bald (mostly), and wearing a wig or other disguise or asking my friends to treat me as though I had long blond hair (out of respect for my selfmade identity) does not change the reality that I have very little hair.
Male and female are biologically fairly clearly defined. There are exceptions to be sure. All I'm asking is that we suggest that they are 'other', not male/female. Outside the conventional box where the box obviously doesnot fit. But don't call it a duck if does not have webbed feet & it cant swim .

quote:
Originally posted by Atticus:
But saying we can redefine ourselves however and whenever we want is bunk. We are who we are, we are who we were born as, we are the sum total of our decisions, we cannot just up and decide to be something we are not. Accept the facts and deal with them as you will, surgically or otherwise, but don't try to negate the facts of life.

Yes! Yes! A thousand times 'Yes'! The transsexuals of the world join me in saying 'Yes! You have spoken the truth!' Transsexuals do not define themselves, they are who they were born as and cannot be something they are not. They accept these facts and hence seek surgical and medical treatment.

quote:
But don't call it a duck if does not have webbed feet & it cant swim .

Here is Mr Jamison Green.

He looks like a duck to me. He quacks like a duck. [Big Grin]

He can't inseminate a woman, but there are a few XY men that can't do that.

Posted by GUNNER (# 2229) on :

Just a thought: can a marriage be a real marriage when there is at the outset no biological ability to reprouded in the case of a man pretending to be a woman and marring a man, or for that matter 2 heterosexuls who marry without the slightest inclincation to have children? [Confused]

Posted by Lou Poulain (# 1587) on :

quote:
Originally posted by GUNNER:
Just a thought: can a marriage be a real marriage when there is at the outset no biological ability to reprouded in the case of a man pretending to be a woman and marring a man, or for that matter 2 heterosexuls who marry without the slightest inclincation to have children? [Confused]

Ah, Gunner!!! The crux of the issue at last. What is marriage?

If two elderly folk decide to marry (happens all the time) and both are well past menopause, it is a "real" marriage? If a couple marry, and either party is sexually disfunctional, is it a "real" marriage? If a couple marry, and both parties realize that they would be horrid parents, and they decide, for the wellfare of children yet unconceived, to remain childless, is that a "real" marriage? What about a couple where one party is transexual?

So who draws the line?

Lou

quote:
Just a thought: can a marriage be a real marriage when there is at the outset no biological ability to reprouded

I presume that you mean reproduce.

Yes of course it is real. A friend of mine had to have a hysterectomy at the age of 25. She has no chance of producing any children. But if she decided to marry, I very much doubt whether anyone would question whether he marriage was real!

This is a complete and utter red herring.

bb

People may be interested to read about Kevin and Jennifer -v- The Attorney General for the Commonwealth.

In his judgement 12th Oct 2001, Justice Chisholm of the Family Court of Australia declared the marriage between a transsexual man and his wife valid. (The Attorney General has appealed the decision).

Notably: on the evidence of Australian and international experts on human sexual formation and transsexualism the Justice found "that a human being's sexual identity is biologically derived as a result of the sexual differentiation of the brain which, like the genitalia and gonads, irreversibly differentiates in the process of a person's formation as a human being"

Findings as listed by the Applicants' lawyer:
(for those that can't be bothered with the article)

7.1 The decision of Corbett is not persuasive and does not represent Australian law;
7.2 There may be circumstances in which a person who at birth had gonads, chromosomes and genitals of one sex, may nevertheless be of the other sex at the date of his or her marriage; such as in the case of a person who has, prior to the marriage, undergone the medical procedure called sex assignment or re-assignment;

7.3 That brain development is (at least) an important determinant of a person's sense of being a male or female, that the characteristics of transsexuals are as much "biological" as those of people thought of or referred to as intersex and that there is a biological feature of the brain that determines whether individuals think of themselves as male or female; whatever their other biological characteristics.

8. Thus, transsexualism is now properly recognised as a natural variation in human formation within the so-called intersex continuum; and not some form of psychological or mental illness. Like any predicament of human variation or difference, the prime ongoing disability of transsexualism for the persons who experience it, their families and their loved ones is not the predicament itself, but the response of others.

Posted by Astro (# 84) on :

There are some people who have XY chromosome but are unable to react to testosterone (the male hormone) so in some way they are male (XY) but in others more female than the average female who does get slightly effected by testosterone. They appear female.

Although now DNA can be tested there have always been cases where the doctors are not sure if teh baby has a small penis or a large clitoris, if they get it wrong it is usually very difficult to change the birth certificate (a recent case took about 9 years)

[Smile] My 1000th post and I managed to get the word clitoris into it [Smile]

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

I first became interested in this subject when my cousin, a perfectly normal, healthy, sports loving boy, failed to go through puberty at the usual time. At sixteen his parents took him to a doctor. Tests proved "normal" as far as chromosomes, brain tumors, edochrine function and a dozen other possibilities.

His pituitary gland just didn't seem to know that it was time to send out the releasing hormones that trigger the surge of testosterone that cause a boy to turn into a man. At nineteen he began taking synthetic testosterone shots and within a few months he grew six inches, developed a deep voice, a beard, the ability to have sexual intercourse, a boney brow ridge, etc. etc. He's now a handsome young man with a steady girl friend. The one thing the hormone replacement injections can't do is make viable sperm so he won't ever be able to have a child of his own.

Now I ask you:
Should he be allowed to marry?
Would the "call a duck a duck" people maintain that he was not really a man but actually a boy, because without the hormones that's how he would have remained physically?

Posted by Irvin D Yalom (# 2833) on :

quote:
Originally posted by fusilli:
[QUOTE]

A Personal Testimony

If those are good articles, what would bad ones be like?

Actually, the first is okay. I'm glad that the first writer found a way through; he advertises the Gospel as a place of healing. I find some of the rest of his comments a bit dismissive, but there you go.

The second, though, is hilariously wrong - a great shining middlebrow example of the kind of nonsense which passes for informed Christian commentary in some circles.

I just love the last paragraph: "I don't really regret letting students raise knotty problems that totally stump me. I must do more thinking on this yet - but I wouldn't have started if it weren't for them." It strikes the same wistful note as someone who says, "I don't really regret being run over by a train" (subtext: it was God's will, and therefore I accept it).

The thing about knotty problems in which deep questions of identity and belonging, and the state of real people's souls, is that you have to sit quietly with them for a time, and also to read widely, not just run for the shelter of the nearest Evangelical Alliance encyclical on the subject. "The solution isn't physical, but psychological": that's alright, then, we can all go home with the Bible and the Daily Express tucked safely under our arms.

Apologies for sounding so cross, but I remember being a teenager in a similar-sounding youth group where a young person brought up the subject of a (hypothetical) woman who'd been so badly abused in childhood that she found in almost impossible to receive affection from a man. Instead, she'd found happiness with a monogamous female partner. I saw the leader seem just as uncomfortable, execute a similar rush-for-cover manoeuvre, and to me being a Christian isn't about that, it's about making oneself vulnerable, which can openness, staying with doubt, embracing paradox and contradiction.

You know, after attending Church as a teenager, I became an angrily anti-religious atheist for some years. This hungry sheep looked up and wasn't fed... though perhaps, since I'm back now, some seeds did fall and germinate (a mixed metaphor, I know).

love,

Irv.

Posted by Paul Careau (# 2904) on :

Most transsexuals appear to be driven first and foremost by a desire to change sex. This desire is often very secondary to their desires/preferences for sexual partners. These people are, in the vast majority of cases far happier once they have changed sex.

It is an issue that the rest of us are ill equipped to understand in my opinion. I am a bisexual man & therefore have (theoretically) some affinity with the transgender community. However, I personally have no desire to become a woman anymore than the vast majority of other men. Equally, the vast majority of gay men are quite happy as men & would not want to change sex & probably have never even thought about it. The transgender issue really goes way beyond sexuality as such.

In general terms I am strong in favour of gay marriage & therefore see little objection in this instance. If individual churches object to marrying transsexuals or homosexuals then that is up to them. I personally avoid churches that would not bless gay relationships - I would not ever feel part of such a congregation. However, people should still have the right to marry, or have some form of civil union that confers a similar legal status.

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

Oy.

Well, my views on gender coming mostly from the sixteenth century and before, I ...

Okay, time out. I've got to say this first:

Everyone, whoever they are, is special and matters. This is The Most Important Thing. And writing people off because we don't agree with their decisions or beliefs is Really Really Wrong. Talking down about them because they have made decisions (to have the surgery) or hold beliefs (about themselves, about the nature of gender itself, etc.) is also Really Really Wrong. This has to come first. Often it doesn't.

That said, I don't think (metaphysically) I believe in gender reassignment per se. About intersex people I don't know what gender they "really are" or are meant to be in the eyes of God. (I suppose we'll find out all of this at the General Resurrection.) But I also believe that -- while I believe maleness and femaleness are very important, intrinsic things which cannot truly be changed, on a metaphysical level -- before being male or female, we are all persons, made in God's image and loved by God, and dealing with matters like this requires absolute care and sensitivity. And I think when it comes to trans-gender people many of us don't show that care at all -- in many ways trans people are treated worse than gays, and are often left out of legislative efforts dealing with gay issues -- the "T" in "LGBT."

I've occasionally wondered about various aspects of this issue, and will continue to do so. I do believe in intrinsic "masculinity" and "femininity," not only biologically but mystically, the yin and yang of the cosmos that God has made, and how trans issues may relate to that, has been on my mind more lately, partly because I've been meeting (online but occasionally in person) trans people or people with trans people close to them.

Hugs to all, of whatever gender

David

Posted by PaulTH (# 320) on :

The majority of us, who never seriously question our sexulity, are woefully inequipped to understand the pain, emotional, mental and spiritual, which transsexual people must go through. I often wonder what they did before all this treatment was available, and I suppose they just considered themselves gay.

No one has ever come up with a rational explanation for what makes people "out of synch" with their own sex. Freud suggested it was psychological, learned at the mother's knee, ie under the age of 5. Others have said its genetic or hormonal, but maybe we'll never know. What we do know is that people don't choose their sexual orientation. Many gay/transvestite/transsexual people are full of self loathing for something they just are.

I speak as a person who, as a younger man, was ignorantly homophobic, and I'm not proud of it. The passage of time hs taught me that we all have abberations within ourselves that we'd rather hide, except from God, from whom we can hide nothing and no one can say that gay or transsexual people are any less loving and tolerant than anyone else.

Where their right to marry is concerned, my view is that the state should recognise all forms of marriage, same sex, transsexual or otherwise, but the church has a duty to the integrity of the Christian faith, and should only allow marriages which fall within what the faith permits. That doesn't prevent priests and congregations dealing pastorally with people who don't fit their mould.

Posted by multipara (# 2918) on :

Coot, I am glad that you brought up the example of androgen-insensitivity syndrome-as well as the other"intersex" conditions , most of which result in a phenotypical (as opposed to genotypical) female who is invariably infertile.

Does it matter whether a transsexual marries or not? Why should it be an issue for anyone? Does it downgrade the holy institute of marriage for anyone else? Is a woman any more a woman for being in possession of functioning gonads and a patent passageway? Or for that matter is a man any the less of one for the lack of gonadal function?

Marriage is a sacrament between 2 individuals. All the rest is just window-dressing.

I wonder how many of the contributors to this board have actually met and mixed it with a transsexual?

quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH:
The majority of us, who never seriously question our sexulity, are woefully inequipped to understand the pain, emotional, mental and spiritual, which transsexual people must go through. I often wonder what they did before all this treatment was available, and I suppose they just considered themselves gay.

I know you make the point in your next para about being out of sync with one's own 'sex', but I want to stress to people that transsexuality, (even though it has the word sexuality in it) is not about sexual practice or sexual orientation (what people commonly call 'sexuality') but rather gender and gender identity.

Transsexual people may express all orientations, (with not a few remaining totally celibate) but the majority are heterosexual.

quote:
Multipara:
I wonder how many of the contributors to this board have actually met and mixed it with a transsexual?

Most likely people have and not even known it! In Channel 10's coverage of this year's Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, the cameras focussed on a couple walking along happily and the commentators said something twee like: 'Isn't it lovely that heterosexuals are also supporting the mardi gras?' The couple was in fact, a transman and his wife!

Posted by ChristinaMarie (# 1013) on :

Man looks at the outward appearance, God looks at the heart.

I would argue that one's feeling of Gender Identity, is on the heart, sometimes despite outward appearance.

To Coot: You did a wonderful job debunking the Evangelical Alliances report. :-)

Something to add to what you wrote.

1. Keith Tiller was told he was transsexual by a medical profession, while suffering depression.

That may really have happened, but it doesn't happen today. When a person presents themselves as transsexual to a Psychiatrist, they have to do reality checks. There are quite a number of people who present themselves as transsexual, who realise they are not, when they take hormone tablets, or start living in role, and realise it is not for them.

So, Keith Tiller could be one of these people, who is now convinced that true transsexuals are the same as him.

2. Press for Change, the transsexual peoples' lobby group, asked ALL the transsexual peoples support groups in the country, whether the Evangelical Alliance had contacted them for research ourposes. The answer was, no.

I was told by one of the leaders of PFC, that she had spoken with one of the EA leaders, to find out why they hadn't consulted transsexuals widely, as they had claimed to have done. Eventually, this guy said, 'We only talk to like-minded people.'

The EA report, was written as a result of researching like-minded people. Trouble is, they've claimed integrity, so they're dishonest too.

I recently read a testimony online, by someone like Keith Tiller. He has a similar story, but the ending is different. He went round doing speaking engagements, saying the kind of things Keith Tiller does, for a few years. Today, he is living as a she, and has realised that God loves her as a woman. If anyone is interested in reading that testimony, I'll try and find it, and post the link.

Christina

Posted by Steve_R (# 61) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:

About intersex people I don't know what gender they "really are" or are meant to be in the eyes of God. (I suppose we'll find out all of this at the General Resurrection.)

Not necessarily, David:

There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. - Galatians 3:28 [Wink]

As an area of life I've never run into before, or thought about in the slightest, it's been an education to see the reactions to my initial thoughts. I'm not convinced (yet?) but I'm a lot less certain and a lot more confused. (Quack?)
The apparent underlying premis that there is no such thing as a man or woman but that we are all on some vague continuum is an idea I find personally disturbing.
quote:
what's in a man's pants is not the defining characteristic of a man.

It isnt? It seems pretty damn important to me. I suspect most men in the world would agree with me.
This really is a very muddled area. [Confused]

Posted by Merseymike (# 3022) on :

I'm delighted by the decision. I cannot see what can be gained by the retention of cruel and antiquated laws which do nothing to promote social acceptance and awareness of diversity. A pity that the Government had to wait for Europe to tell them so.
Gay issues, next, please.

Posted by multipara (# 2918) on :

Olorin, good on you!

Cheers,

m

quote:
As an area of life I've never run into before, or thought about in the slightest, it's been an education to see the reactions to my initial thoughts.

And you have so many opinions. [Wink]

I too used to have similar views. Then I started reading up in the scientific journals about the genetics and the role of hormones in determining gender. My views underwent a radical change.

bb

This is a link to transsexual Christian support site.

http://www.emergenceministries.org/indexframe.html

If you click on the 'Profiles' link, it will take you to 9 testimonies by transsexual Christians. The top one, 'Jackie' is the transsexual woman I mentioned, who reverted back to male, then back again.

Christina

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
The apparent underlying premis that there is no such thing as a man or woman but that we are all on some vague continuum is an idea I find personally disturbing.
quote:
what's in a man's pants is not the defining characteristic of a man.
It isnt? It seems pretty damn important to me. I suspect most men in the world would agree with me.
This really is a very muddled area. [Confused]

If through injury (say, a bad car accident or a criminal assault) you lost your penis, you wouldn't be a woman.

Posted by DonnaPatricia (# 3017) on :

Hello, everyone!

This is my first official post on Ship of Fools. [Smile]

There's a different slant on this, you know. What about a person who went through the whole transsexual transition thing, and then quite a long time after that was all done and dusted, became a Christian. Literally, born-again. Don't you feel, that she must felt no conflict between her gender history and her newfound Love of Jesus? [Smile]

I'll get to the meat in a moment, but first, I need to clear up a few basics.

Transsexualism is a recognized medical syndrome, a catch-all for a group of illnesses known as Gender Identity Disorders (there are other names, the one I prefer is dysphoria, because of its literal meaning). The kind of person you hear about in the press suffers/has suffered from a particularly nasty form of GID - the kind that leads some people to kill themselves - the profound variety. (BTW, to call such a person a 'transsexual' is about as demeaning as refering to an appendicitis sufferer as 'the appendix in bed 6').

It is curable, but the cost is very, very high. The cure is called triadic therapy, and it consists of taking hormones, living in the social gender role that is right for you, and surgery. No other 'attempt' at a cure has ever worked, including aversion therapy, electroshock, testosterone injections, and psychiatric intervention.

Sexual orientation has nothing to do with gender identity, which in my opinion, is core, fixed, and innate. You will see the same variation in a post-op person's sexuality as you will see in the general population.

So what has all this to do with the Lord? Realistically, absolutely nothing. A person got sick, was healed, lived her life, and later, through deep introspection on the nature of the Universe (cosmology, quantum theory, and comparative anthropology come to mind, for example) came to realise that Christianity was the only thing that made sense. She got 95% of the way there on logic alone, and then *bang*!!! God Spoke! Oh, I don't mean dramatically, with a James Earl Jones' voice. I mean suddenly, she was filled with a truly profound sense of peace and wonder, and the knowledge of the Truth of the Holy Trinity, and the Love of Jesus (if this was paper, it would be tear-stained with joy at this point - I'm crying my eyes out with happiness [Yipee] ).

So what has all this to do with people? Realistically, absolutely everything. A person who gets dumped on by society in general, and by religious organizations such as the Evangelical Alliance, in particular has a much harder time of finding her way to Jesus than someone who is not told she is either a sinner, or mad, or both. [Frown]

God is Love, and all shall be saved. Sure, some have it more uphill than others, but that doesn't mean the mountain can't be climbed. I contend, however, that there is no reason for some people to build roadblocks for others.

Yours in Christ,
Donna Patricia [Angel] (a woman, for that is the correct technical term for me, now that I am cured of profound gender dysphoria).

p.s. if anyone wants to discuss technical details, or needs help dealing with this topic because of a family member, say, please write to me privately. I will be happy to help as much as I can.

Posted by Mousethief (# 953) on :

Welcome to the Ship, DonnaPatricia, and thank you for your courageous post.

Reader Alexis

DonnaPatricia
Welcome, I've been expecting you! can you answer a question I don't understand. You say that sexual orientation has nothing to do with gender awareness. I can't see that. Men and women who feel secure in their sexual indentity are a majority. But gay men and women are out of kilter with the orientation of their preferences. I imply no criticism or putting down in that comment.

Where gender awareness is concerned, it's only in very recent times that it could have been an issue. The world must have been a hard place before a plethora of psychologists identified so many variations from what the world expects.

In simple terms what is the difference between being gay and alternative gender awareness?

I need to reply to a few things that have been raised on this thread.

Following the 'So what is a Christian response to transsexuals?'link, posted by The Coot, I note:
"That means those who change sex are looking in the wrong direction for the solution to their inner disturbance. The solution isn't physical but psychological: located more in finding their true identity than in getting a body to match how they feel. Ultimately that's only found in the God who made us and gave us the genders we have.

I don't really regret letting students raise knotty problems that totally stump me"

That's a bit like 'I didn't mind getting hit by the car, because it was God's Will'.

I need to pose this question: if you really have found your "true identity", (presumably gender identity) given by God, then is it not your Christian duty to fix your body to match your innate identity, based on Tony Watkins' logic?

And then, Fer Gossake, he goes on to reference Keith Tiller. FYI, transsexualism is the only 'psychiatric' condition that is self-diagnosed. No-one can diagnose another. No matter what the press might say. The purpose of psychiatrists in the equation is to certify a person wholly and utterly sane before irreversible surgery. Mr Tiller never diagnosed (identified) himself as transsexual. He let others do it for him. And now he presents himself as an authority to Christians on the subject. The word 'deluded' springs to mind.

Atticus said:
quote:
With all deference to transexuals, I'm not sure I buy into this whole "allowing people to define themselves" bit. Not having to do with sex necessarily, but I can't define myself as a geriatric woman of African descent just because I want to. I agree that society should not define people for them, but there are facts in this old world of ours, one of the facts is that I am a young white male. I can't change that just because I don't like it.
You are 100% right. I could not define myself as a 'man' just because I had a penis, and I wanted to carry on pretending to be a successful middle-aged white male. The preservation of a 25-year old marriage, the love of family and friends, a quarter of a million dollars in cash (for that is what it cost), were the things I liked. I certainly would not have changed that if I could have found another way.

My options: suicide, dysfunctional vegetable, or transition. Hobson's choice, really.

BTW, an Evangelical Alliance spokesperson said on the telly lately, if a person defines themself as a turnip, does that mean they are a turnip? What absurdity!

Olorin posted:
quote:
The apparent underlying premis that there is no such thing as a man or woman but that we are all on some vague continuum is an idea I find personally disturbing
Too true, Blue!

When I was young, that was all there was. Two possibilities. "God created man and woman". Thing is, scripture did not say God did not create anything else. There's nothing about intersexed genitalia, or mosaic karyotypes (e.g. XYY), or anything else that our more modern knowledge has informed us about.

You bet transsexualism is disturbing. It disturbs many people's world view. But why are not more people disturbed about the fact that their televisions work? The idea that electrons can be here! and there! at the same time to be much stranger than the idea that a foetus' brain structure can be feminised owing to lack of testosterone at 8 weeks, and their bodies masculinised at 11 weeks with a testo wash. (Not saying that is the cause of transsexualism, but it is a prevalent hypothesis).

You know, there are all kinds of people in the world. Heterosexual, homosexual, male, female, white, black, short, tall, thin, fat. Should we care? Surely our mission should be to bring all persons to the Love of Jesus?

Yours in Christ,
Donna Patricia

Donna
As I've discussed with Christina I've led a far from blameless life in relation to sexual ethics, though I now feel I'm in control. But you talk of giving up a 25 year marriage. Most people who've been together that long are't about tearing off each other's clothes in mad passion. Their lives are about mutual respect, shared concerns, especially if children are part of it, and a shared family identity.

What is morally corrupt about our society is that we no longer heed the taking of an oath. That I'm an apostosate on this issue means that I don't cast any stones. But I genuinely believe in lifelong marriage commitment. Nothing other than abuse is a valid reason to end a 25 year marriage.

Posted by GUNNER (# 2229) on :

Do we still believe in the Fall? If we do can we assume that the fall had an impact of every aspect of our lives? Did the fall, for instance, damage our physical bodies, our emotions, our relationships with each other and God, and our sexual appetites? If the asnwer is "yes" then such perversions, while very real to the peoiple concerned, are contrary to the natural law. How do we then help these people. Do we condemn them to a loveless, sexless life because we think that same sex unions was not God's intention? [Confused]

Hi PaulTH,

you said:
quote:
Welcome, I've been expecting you!
Thanks for your welcome, but why have you been expecting me?

And then you posed a question:

quote:
In simple terms what is the difference between being gay and alternative gender awareness?
Ummm. Let's work backwards. You talk of "gender awareness". First of all, I'm not sure that a detailed reply to this is properly a topic for this forum. However, the issues of sexuality and gender are important to many Christians, so let's press on. (Help, please, Admins!) All comments from here on in are personal, and just my own opinion. Here's the really short version.

If I had been born in 1990, I would have been in gender counselling by now, and almost certainly on Prostap. When young, I was emotionally and behaviorally a girl. But I was born in 1954 and brought up Roman Catholic. Puberty was an absolute nightmare. I constructed an 'eggshell' of a masculine persona, that was so good I came to believe in it myself. I became wild, and gave up on Faith. I married, and fathered a child. Several years ago, 'she' wanted out, and started kicking the eggshell to bits from the inside. I was a mess. When I realised I had profound GID, I told my wife (who went thermonuclear - although we are the *best* of friends now), and my daughter. This was instructive. After I told her I had GID, I asked her (she was 14 at the time) did she know what it meant. She said, sure, you're transsexual, quite calmly. My jaw dropped. I asked, how long have you known? Oh about two years. That was two years longer than I did!

Gender identity awareness for persons like me is hard, and takes much introspection and then, substantial moral courage to face up to it and to deal with the consequences.

What it boiled down to was the understanding that I was a woman, not a man. No matter what a mirror showed.

I believe that gender identity is fixed, core, and innate, but also that through social conditioning, some people can fool themselves for perhaps decades. After all, I had a penis, I was bloke-shaped, everyone told me I was a boy, and I had societal expectations to fulfil. But my innate gender identity eventually made itself very 'aware' to me!

quote:
Men and women who feel secure in their sexual indentity are a majority. But gay men and women are out of kilter with the orientation of their preferences.
I think you may be mistaking 'I am a man' or 'I am a woman' with 'I fancy men' or 'I fancy women'.

I dunno what a person's 'sex' is. You know, no-body does. There are so many definitions of that word, you wouldn't believe. Chromosomally, there are so many variations. Physically, at birth, there are as well (until the maniac medics start cutting children too young to decide for themselves - and then tell us what gender they are!).

But I do know what gender identity is. It is 'I am a woman'. I do know what sexual orientation is. It is 'I fancy men'.

So why does a man fancy other men? Not a clue. Just a fact of life as far as I'm concerned. And utterly irrevant to the phenomenon of transsexualism.

quote:
The world must have been a hard place before a plethora of psychologists identified so many variations from what the world expects.
You gotta be kidding! With the exception of a few great and good people, thems the enemies! Whio do you think put electrodes across trans girls brains?

You know, there is some physical evidence as to a biological cause for transsexualism. But there is no such direct evidence for the Message.

Do you think, then, that us Christians are candidates for electroshock, for our (apparently) irrational beliefs?

Yours in Christ
Donna Patricia

quote:
Do we still believe in the Fall? If we do can we assume that the fall had an impact of every aspect of our lives? Did the fall, for instance, damage our physical bodies, our emotions, our relationships with each other and God, and our sexual appetites? If the asnwer is "yes" then such perversions, while very real to the peoiple concerned, are contrary to the natural law. How do we then help these people. Do we condemn them to a loveless, sexless life because we think that same sex unions was not God's intention? [Confused]

Help me on this one, please.

I'm a woman, with womans' bits, who thinks and loves as a woman. If I love a man, how am I perverted?

If you condemn me to the gender identity as recorded on my birth certificate, then I think you're saying I am a pervert if I love a man. So, logically, I should love a woman.

But I am a woman. So that would make me a pervert if I loved another woman, I guess. (But that is not /this/ issue, /that/ issue is: can true Love exist in a homosexual relationship. Oh, and by the way, my answer is emphatically YES.)

I'll tell you what a pervert is: it is a person who does not Love.

You talk about the 'natural law'. I say to you, the natural law encompasses every one of God's creatures. You ask 'how do we help these people?'. I say to you, recognize that we are all God's children, and act accordingly. A trans woman needs no 'help', she just needs to be treated with the same respect that you would accord to any other person.

Yours in Christ
Donna Patricia

quote:
Originally posted by DonnaPatricia:
Following the 'So what is a Christian response to transsexuals?'link, posted by The Coot

And then, Fer Gossake, he goes on to reference Keith Tiller.

I didn't offer the Tony Watkins link or the Keith Tiller testimony, merely pointed out its potential for misrepresention and damage, and the unlikelihood that Mr Tiller was truly suffering from gender dysphoria. Gender dysphoria has been wrongly diagnosed in the past when the person presenting actually has psychiatric and sexuality issues. Hence the importance of the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care, the link to which I posted above.

quote:
Donna
As I've discussed with Christina I've led a far from blameless life in relation to sexual ethics, though I now feel I'm in control. But you talk of giving up a 25 year marriage. Most people who've been together that long are't about tearing off each other's clothes in mad passion. Their lives are about mutual respect, shared concerns, especially if children are part of it, and a shared family identity.

What is morally corrupt about our society is that we no longer heed the taking of an oath. That I'm an apostosate on this issue means that I don't cast any stones. But I genuinely believe in lifelong marriage commitment. Nothing other than abuse is a valid reason to end a 25 year marriage.

Ummmmm. The circumstances were quite different that you seem to assume. The moral and ethical points are very important, I think, so I'll go into some detail.

The substance of your comment is that oaths shall not be broken. I agree.

Before I found Jesus, the wellspring of my personal morality was trust, committment, and loyalty. A 'friend' who broke a committment to me was no longer my friend. In most respects, this wellspring remains the same today.

When I learned that I had GID, I also found that there were some married couples who had managed to remain together. This became a Quest for me. I loved my wife desperately, and I wanted more than anything for us to stay together. I travelled the length and breadth of the country, and met more than a hundred trans people, over a period of perhaps six months. This was during a seriously bad time at home. But I stuck with it.

To no avail. I learned that a) about 30% of women (in marked contrast to the percentage of men, less than 1%) can be bisexual given the right circumstances. And b) all the couples who had stayed togteher became either (a few) celibate or b) entered into a lesbian relationship (the majority). My wife, however, was one of the 70% who are straight. It was simply not tenable for her to be married to a woman. Friends, yes (eventually). Married, no.

And as for committment? I'm off to Reading tomorrow to see about nursing homes for her mum. I was the one who looked after my mother-in-law, who got her place sorted, and so on. Just because we had to get divorced does not mean that my obligations and committments are diminished. And I was doing that in the midst of transition.

I took on those committments (by implication) 25 years ago. I live up to them today. By the same token, she thought she was marrying a bloke. She wasn't. Although that is what *I* thought at the time. I did not consciously mislead her, nor did I consciously mislead myself. That is what I thought then. I was wrong. But I still live up to my obligations.

You are completely correct with regard to society and people's casual disregard of promises. I too think it is dreadful. But in my circumstance, what else would you have had me do, other than to accede to my wife's request for a divorce?

This was before I came to Jesus, but I don't think my actions would have been any different today.

Yours in Christ
Donna Patricia

QUOTE]I didn't offer the Tony Watkins link or the Keith Tiller testimony, merely pointed out its potential for misrepresention and damage, and the unlikelihood that Mr Tiller was truly suffering from gender dysphoria. Gender dysphoria has been wrongly diagnosed in the past when the person presenting actually has psychiatric and sexuality issues. Hence the importance of the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care, the link to which I posted above.[/QUOTE]

Oops! Sorry, you referenced 'fusilli' and I did not make that clear. My apologies.

Yours in Christ
Donna Patricia

Posted by Santiago (# 2824) on :

quote:
Where their right to marry is concerned, my view is that the state should recognise all forms of marriage, same sex, transsexual or otherwise, but the church has a duty to the integrity of the Christian faith, and should only allow marriages which fall within what the faith permits. That doesn't prevent priests and congregations dealing pastorally with people who don't fit their mould.

Do I take it from this that I shouldn't have been officiating at the marriages of divorced persons for the past 20 years?

Posted by Santiago (# 2824) on :

Forgive the double post. [Embarrassed]

Thank you DonnaPatricia for your courageous debut!
[Sunny]

quote:
Originally posted by Santiago:
Forgive the double post. [Embarrassed]

Thank you DonnaPatricia for your courageous debut!
[Sunny]

Thanks ever so, and to others who have echoed the same thought.

But you know, I am a a bit of a loss as to what being a trans woman has got to do with my new-found Love of the Lord!

I mean, transsexuality is just a minor part of the human condition. We live, we get GID, we get fixed, we go on. It's not really important at all, versus compared to declaring one's Love for Jesus!

I still feel that the most important thing is to spread the Good Word.

Yours in Christ,
Donna Patricia

quote:
You say that sexual orientation has nothing to do with gender awareness. I can't see that.

Consider gay female-to-male transsexuals, or transfags as they like to be called. Before transition, they would appear to be part of the people you mention 'who feel secure in their sexual identity (and) are a majority'. Presenting as women they can quite transparently engage with male partners. So their transition is not some convoluted way to 'justify' a homosexual relationship (as some people falsely charge transsexuals). However, what appears to be a standard heterosexual relationship, is not - the transman/transfag (biologically XX) relates as a man to a man. To try to relate as a woman to a man is just one more occasion of deception, deep unhappiness and incongruence for the transfag. Clearly, gender identity is not about who you have sex with.
quote:
Men and women who feel secure in their sexual indentity are a majority. But gay men and women are out of kilter with the orientation of their preferences.
I don't want to get bogged down in gay issues, but respectfully, gay men and women are not out of kilter with their orientation, it is precisely because they recognise their orientation that they seek same sex partners. Not expressing the same orientation as the majority is hardly 'out of kilter'.

But I can't stress enough - transsexuals are not some form of extreme 'super-homo' who go to the extent of body modification to have sex with 'same-sex' partners, as I've said before, some are celibate, some heterosexual, some gay, some bisexual. It is fairly distressing and annoying for some straight transsexuals to be lumped together in the umbrella term 'homosexual'. Frankly I find the inclusion of 'T' in GBLT annoying (the existence of G,B,L transsexual people notwithstanding), because it reinforces the false perception that transsexuality is somehow associated with sexual orientation. However, it is the Queer community that is often the most accepting section of society and added to that, some transsexuals sheltered in the Queer community, identifying as 'gay' before they recognised their gender dysphoria.
quote:
Where gender awareness is concerned, it's only in very recent times that it could have been an issue. The world must have been a hard place before a plethora of psychologists identified so many variations from what the world expects.
Transsexuals have always existed. Bill Smith. Alan Hart. Albert Cashier.
quote:
Perhaps if you consider it in personal terms, the difference will come clanging home to you, 'what is the difference between being straight and a man to you'? Being the man you are now, how would you feel if you had breasts and menstruated? Fairly distressing, no?

Hi Coot,

I'm a transsexual woman myself.

The reason for the gblt inclusion has been transsexuals themselves, or rather certain lobby and support groups who have worked for the inclusion.

The ' a transsexual woman is really an ultra-gay man' theory comes from Elizabeth Moberley. She's often quoted by Evangelicals. Again, it shows biased research, because many TS women live in lesbian relationships.

Christina

quote:
Originally posted by DonnaPatricia:
(BTW, to call such a person a 'transsexual' is about as demeaning as refering to an appendicitis sufferer as 'the appendix in bed 6').

Ah, in a pervious discussion, a few people on the Ship identified themselves as being transsexual/having GID. They said that the term 'transsexual' or 'trans' was what they prefered.

No offence meant.

bb

Posted by Louise (# 30) on :

quote:
You talk of "gender awareness". First of all, I'm not sure that a detailed reply to this is properly a topic for this forum. However, the issues of sexuality and gender are important to many Christians, so let's press on. (Help, please, Admins!)
host mode
Hi DonnaPatricia!
If you want to give a detailed reply to that please do. If you think it's going off topic then just start a new thread.

cheers,
Louise

host mode off

Hi Shipmates,

I guess I didn't communicate very effectively, here.

The central theme of what I was trying to say was that it was truly important to me, to get my serious illness cured first!

It was only after that, when my mind was straight, and I was me, that I could spend a couple of years debating with ChristinaMarie and thinking seriously about the nature of the Universe. This was the path which led me to see Christianity as the Elegant Solution to the Mystery of why the Universe is the way it is. [Yipee]

Elegant Solutions are really important to scientist/engineer types like me.

Yours in Christ,
Donna Patricia

Has anyone ever studied the history of the berdache? I've occasionally wondered how such notions could be approached within a Christian context.

David
Whew!

Unbelievable. Don Horrocks of the Evangelical Alliance with arrogant certainty makes the pronouncement that gender dysphoria is 'subjective feeling' as opposed to physiological fact; is gender confusion rather than intersex and effectively, that present physiological evidence is 'mythology':
quote:
Don Horrocks:
I am not here to make judgements against people. I am concerned with questions of fact. As far as the Evangelical Alliance and all religious organisations are concerned, is that this has to do with the question of what takes precedence -
does subjective feeling take precedence, or does physiological fact? I am afraid that there is so much mythology, just as Stephen has just confused
intersex with what we call gender confusion there, that surrounds this whole debate, that we are concerned that, in this judgement from the European Court of Human Rights, there was an actual admission that they hadn't looked at the
facts.

Stephen Whittle is a Snr. Law lecturer (Manchester Uni I think) and transman. In this instance he hasn't confused transsexuality and intersex, but is working from the current medical view that transseuxality is a form of intersex.

Full transcript of the Newsnight program.

Thank God for accepting congregations:
quote:
Stephen Whittle:
I have heard those arguments endlessly. The fact is that we are now in the 21st century, and one of the things I would say to Don is in fact, in plain legal terms, we have won this battle, they have lost this battle, and that's tough. The law has to change now. Thank God it does. I take my children to church where the family is fully accepted by many Christian people, who are very happy to see a family who are living their lives fully.

Here's some random mythology: Transsexualism linked to an Endocrine Disruptor.

Chast, the 'berdache' concept is likely to way lay this thread.

What we've been dealing with is true transsexual people who identify as 'man' or 'woman' and who want to enjoy the same rights as other (biological) men and women. Ie. Not some 'shade of a continuum', neuter gender or both genders. Additionally, the first bullet 'More' has an intersexual person saying that transsexuality is not an intersex condition, which is contrary to current medical opinion.

It would actually be more useful if you gave a slight indication of what salient point you wish to make with each website.

Frankly I'm about to have a High Anglican Queenie fit. (What Martin PCNot refers to as 'the red mist hovering in my peripheral vision').

People with gender dysphoria identify as 'man' and 'woman' not what US usage calls 'transgender', neuter gender or the 'third gender'. I know blokes who'd punch ya one if you intimate that they belong to some sort of twilight zone.

Posted by Martin PC not (# 368) on :

Who has summoned me thus from beneath Avalon?

Any road up, for a conservative, fundie bible-basher, I'm very disquieted by the Evangelical Alliance's approach, to say the least. Very. Appalled at the possibility of academic dishonesty. I was going to say this earlier.

I might invoke being a eunuch for the Kingdom's sake - and most of us have been that for a while and will be again - for those who don't VISIBLY fit in with the apparently conservative Biblical paradigm, just to spoil what I say above, but ... if it quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Although I am also intrigued by Germaine Greer's opinion too. Am I right in perceiving in her a rejection of solidarity with some who feel they are female in a male body? Because I see the philosophical problem she does, unless there are strong BIOLOGICAL, developmental, reasons for feeling that way - which one would assume in most cases - if I say, 'I feel like a woman trapped in a man's body', how can I possibly know what a woman feels like and how can I further know what a woman in a man's body feels like?

I may certainly feel a powerful dysphoria and I suppose if I start to culturally conform to female modes of behaviour and I feel a lot happier, then I am entitled to be regarded as female?

So what's her problem, or have I misunderstood?

This is too damned complicated to be legalistic about whatever.

As I say to the kids, what gender is a kiss or a caress? In between the acute polarizations of sexuality is a vast common, sensual, emotional, relational humanity.

Hmmm. I ain't goin soff now, y'unnerstan? But the EA's approach just doesn't fit with even my orthodox Jesus.

I'd like to write something about Berdache, as I have used this information with regard to my own transsexualism and spirituality.

First, there are 2 types of transsexual, often labelled as Primary and Secondary, or Early-onset and Late-onset. The difference between the 2 types, is that the late-onsets, such as myself, have contructed a male persona to cope, until such time that this veneer has shattered. Early-onsets have stated at an early age, that their gender identity is different from their sex.

I admitted to myself that I was transsexual, at age 32.

I see myself as a woman with an interesting history, and I have asked why God made me like this. My answer, is my own answer for my particular calling, and cannot be relevant for early-onset people. Neither is it an answer for all late-onset people, it is my answer.

As I go about my day-to-day life, I am a woman, but those who know me, know I am a transsexual woman. I do not hide my history from my friends. I have found, that women friends in particular, ask me questions about men, because they know I once lived as one. I have a perspective that is not unique, but is rare, that can help resolve issues in relationships between the sexes. In this, I am like a Berdache. I've also had guys ask me about women, but that is rarer.

So, if I can use my experiences as a transsexual woman, to help others resolve relationship problems, as the Berdache did, I see my experiences and condition, as a gift of God. If I totally hide my history, I cannot use this gift as much.

Some tribes saw the Berdache as a gift of the Great Spirit. Accepting churches are like that.

Other tribes, such as the Apache, put Berdache to death. The Evangelical Alliance are like that, they try to DEFINE us out of existence.

What I've just written, is my spiritual understanding of my own condition, I do not write for transsexual people in general.

I used to see my condition as a 'disability of gender', I still do, but it's for a purpose.

Christina

quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:
It would actually be more useful if you gave a slight indication of what salient point you wish to make with each website.

Actually, I wasn't trying to make specific points with them -- I tried to get what information, in general, I could, from the viewpoints at hand. (My own point of view, such as it is, I posted earlier on the thread.) And it would seem that Christina Marie (another CM -- no relation!) has some things to say about berdaches. Is the OP as limited as that? I didn't think all we were talking about here was the rights issue, but about transsexualism in general...

David

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not:
...if I say, 'I feel like a woman trapped in a man's body', how can I possibly know what a woman feels like and how can I further know what a woman in a man's body feels like?....

I have no idea what it feels like to be a woman. I only know what it is like to be me.

Some of the stereotypical roles/thoughts/values that are attributed to women are totally alien to me. Mind you, the same applies to men too. [Big Grin]

But then my internal body image is of a female. She is a bit taller than me, and slimmer, but she is still recogisable as being me. Now, imagine what it is like to have an internal body image that is "wrong". Guys how distressed would you be if you started having periods?

bb

quote:
Is the OP as limited as that? I didn't think all we were talking about here was the rights issue, but about transsexualism in general...

Yes, we are. But berdache is not transsexualism! Transsexuals are not people in whom both genders co-exist. They most definitely, and by definition are (see HB SOC) either man or woman. I find it insulting to say otherwise.

Blast! I wrote a considered lengthy-ish reply to/further considerations of, what Martin said, posted it, got the message that it had been posted, and now find it has vanished into the ether! Try to recreate it:

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not: (Out of order)
So what's her (Germaine Greer) problem, or have I misunderstood?

Her problem is that her definition of female is essentialist - that is, possession of the XX chromosomes - and nothing else will do. Yet she disregards any essentialist nature of transsexuality (as does the EA [Frown] ), ie. that current medical thought is tending to the view that the brain differentiates irreversibly in utero according to the same process in male-to-female transsexuals as in biological women. (Similarly for female-to-male transsexuals)
quote:
Am I right in perceiving in her a rejection of solidarity with some who feel they are female in a male body? Because I see the philosophical problem she does, unless there are strong BIOLOGICAL, developmental, reasons for feeling that way - which one would assume in most cases - if I say, 'I feel like a woman trapped in a man's body', how can I possibly know what a woman feels like and how can I further know what a woman in a man's body feels like?
When a biological woman reports 'I feel like a woman', we do not question this, because she has the XX chromosome. However, when an XY woman reports 'I feel like a woman', we ask 'How do you know you feel like a woman?'. Yet both have only their own frame of reference to determine their gender identity (And as I've shown before in the case of CAIS XY women even the appearance of the body is not a sure thing to go by - the vagina may be shortened, but that's it. Regardless, in gender dysphoria, people are convicted of their gender identity in the face of all visible signs to the contrary).

Even before the age of 4, the gender dysphoric child desires and chooses clothes, toys, and play behaviour consistent with the gender opposite to his/her biological sex (late onset coping mechanisms notwithstanding). So the frame of reference of the self is constantly comparing external cues and expectations of gender-appropriate behaviour with the innate internal drives. I'd suggest that the consistent and long-term contradiction of these reinforces the unable-to-be-quantified sense of self ('I feel like a...', common to both biological and transsexual people), so the gender dysphoric child has confirmation of sense of self because they know who they are not. (Note, I am not implying causality here)

quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not:
...if I say, 'I feel like a woman trapped in a man's body', how can I possibly know what a woman feels like and how can I further know what a woman in a man's body feels like?....

I have no idea what it feels like to be a woman. I only know what it is like to be me.

Some of the stereotypical roles/thoughts/values that are attributed to women are totally alien to me. Mind you, the same applies to men too. [Big Grin]

But then my internal body image is of a female. She is a bit taller than me, and slimmer, but she is still recogisable as being me. Now, imagine what it is like to have an internal body image that is "wrong". Guys how distressed would you be if you started having periods?

bb

Hi BB,

It's not just a matter of how one feels, but how one relates and is related to. It's feels natural for me to relate as a woman, and be related to as a woman. The way one is related to, is different for men and women.

I had the most significant dream I've ever had, just after I decided to do something about my transsexual nature. I saw a marble bust (head and shoulders), covered with dry clay. As I examined it, I could see that it was me, but then it morphed, and it wasn't me, it was my Dad. This happened several times. Then, the clay cracked uo, like a dry river bed, and fell off the marble. As I looked at the marble bust, it was me, and I was a woman.

I learned to act male, and fit in, to an extent, but I always felt different. I joined the RAF at age 17, and stayed in for 12 years. However, as I got older, my inner nature kept coming out. In my last post, for 4 years, I was accused of being gay, even though I was married. It got to the point, when I was 32, that I just couldn't go on anymore, I had to do something about it.

My decision was one of integrity. Some of my evangelical friends, didn't see it that way. It's taken 6 years to heal the pain that my former evangelicalism, has caused me. They seem to see me as either needing psychotherapy, or exorcism.

I'm just me now, instead of someone I 'ought' to be.

Christina

I see the Berdache as simply trans men and women, who lived before medical treatment was available for transsexual people.

A trans man, today, can get hormones. His voice will break and he will develop beard growth. He can have surgery to remove his breasts.

Imagine what it was like for a trans man, before these things were available. Of course they'd be seen by others as 'both sexes in one'. That was how non-berdache saw them though, not what the Berdache thought of themselves. A Berdache trans man would have to cope fitting in with the males, with an unbroken voice and breasts, and boyish looks, because of no beard growth.

Same with trans women, in those days. No electrolysis for beard growth. No Max Factor to cover it up. No hormones to shape-shift.

I do not think we can judge those in the past, according to standards today, because they lacked the MASSIVE advantages we have.

Christina

Posted by MR PINK (# 2979) on :

Can someone explain this: If a man becomes a woman or vice versa why is it some transexuals also become lesibians or homosexual men after they swap i.e Hetro male becomes Women but still likes Women sexually?

Mr Pink,

A person's sexuality is not dependent on their gender identity. Transsexual women do not have surgery to have sex with men. They have surgery so their body is in line with their gender identity. After surgery, one could be celibate, straight, bisexual or lesbian.

I want to be related to as a woman in all aspects of life, not just the bedroom.

Christina

Thanks for that. Seems its the same as the top & bottom debate and are are you any less of a man if you take it up the.

Posted by Beowulf (# 899) on :

Hello all, it's been a while since I posted to the board but, as a transman, I guess I should contribute my twopennyworth.

I have just returned from holiday, spending two weeks in the C16th (living history nerd). Last Thursday evening my partner received a text message from a mate telling us about the European Court decision. I cannot begin to describe the sheer glee I felt as I ran around a field punching the air and grinning like I had swallowed bicycle handlebars. The prospect of being able to marry my darling girlfriend of seven years and also NEVER having to worry about my community finding out that I am a transman is joyous indeed. The only downer was that I couldn't share the wonderful news with more people.
I transitioned some years ago. I always knew I was a boy and that there had been some mistake. Wish I'd done it earlier. It surprised no-one who knew me, and more recent friends who have found out have accepted me with warmth and love.
It's been an interesting journey, but not an unpleasant one. Best thing I ever did.
As to the physiological causes of gender dysphoria, I rather like Jan Morris's approach. (Superb author, mainly travel books. One of the first high profile transwomen). She was on "Desert Island Discs" a few weeks ago. When asked what she thought of the recent research that indicates brain differences in trans people, she said that she had always known her female gender primarily as a spiritual and metaphysical truth.
I'll go with that, rather than being tempted by "reductio ad absurdum".

Thanking you all for your support and a considered debate. God bless. [Smile]

As an addendum to my last message, is it possible to set up a sort of subgroup on the board so that all of us transpeople on the ship can get together and chat/offer support? Just an idea, I speak with no technical knowhow.

[Wink]

Hi Beowolf,

I'd rather do that sort of thing by private messaging or email, than a special slot on the ship.

Christina

quote:
Originally posted by Beowulf:
is it possible to set up a sort of subgroup on the board so that all of us transpeople on the ship can get together and chat/offer support?

Yes, it is. Custom board info will tell you the info you need.

quote:
Last Thursday evening my partner received a text message from a mate telling us about the European Court decision.
I was think of you, and a few others when I heard the news. [Yipee]

bb

quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaMarie:
I'd rather do that sort of thing by private messaging or email, than a special slot on the ship.

It is perfectly possible for the private board to be viewed (and posted to) by invited people only.

bb

quote:
quote:
Is the OP as limited as that? I didn't think all we were talking about here was the rights issue, but about transsexualism in general...

Yes, we are. But berdache is not transsexualism! Transsexuals are not people in whom both genders co-exist. They most definitely, and by definition are (see HB SOC) either man or woman. I find it insulting to say otherwise.
I'm genuinely confused here; I mean, I believe in a sense (a mystical sense, I admit) that all people have both genders in them, the masculine and the feminine, the yin and the yang -- not a "continuum," however -- I do see gender (and I know this view is rare these days) as an absolute concept rather than one of degree. But I also know that this point of view is not the one everyone here shares -- nor are any of its alternatives, as the Ship is a pretty diverse group. Isn't the question of what transsexuals are, or even of what human beings in general are, part of the discussion at hand? Here on the Ship, we have different beliefs on issues which some would say are more absolute than gender -- the Nature of Christ, etc. -- and I would think that the Berdache notion would be something relevant here to the discussion, whether one sees them as another culture's approach to transsexualism or something different.

For me, the notion of the self (of whatever gender) as feminine in relationship to Jesus (for example) is one issue which might be a path to understand transsexual people better, even if I don't necessarily agree with their conclusions or beliefs.

And it does seem that at least one self-identified transsexual here (the other CM) does believe the Berdache concept to be relevant. The idea that such people may have special spiritual gifts, as well, intrigues me very much, though again I have not studied this nearly enough.

On a side note more directly relevant to the OP, isn't a great deal of the issue here whether people of whatever gender can form whatever legally-recognised relationships they choose with other consenting adults, rather than whether or not anyone agrees with various notions of gender identity, nature, etc.?

As another side note, if you find it "insulting" to suggest that transsexuals combine both genders, what does that mean regarding people who do believe, and proudly, that they do combine both genders? I'm not into androgyny either (I mean, from all my posts about my own life -- about the rough'n'tough, bearded, hairy, etc. sort of men being my own personal ideal -- one might suppose I'm going a tiny bit too far in Avoiding That Which Is Feminine -- which is part of why the Berdache issue fascinates me -- and I have to look at my own motives also), but I don't want to put down people, even if I disagree with them, who don't fit into my personal notions of masculinity and femininity.

Which is, I suppose, why I'm trying to make sense of all of this, even if (perhaps especially when) I don't agree with many of the notions involved.

David
Confuzzled [Confused] orthodox guy

I don't understand the antipathy expressed towards the Berdache. Many trans women make reference to the Berdache. Lyn Conway, who invented Very Large Scale Integration, and is a trans woman, has articles about Berdache on her website.

The Evangelical Alliance try to make out that transsexualism is a modern phenomena. The Berdache contradicts this view, along with other historical transsexual/transgendered people.

Without hormone treatment, electrolysis and surgery, one cannot just live as a man or a woman, and fit in perfectly.

Today, there are many trans women who cannot just fit in a women, because they get read, by their voice or certain aspects of their apperance. There are some trans women who are well over 6 feet tall, for example.

A trans man takes hormones, and his voice breaks and he grows a beard. Female hormones do not reverse the broken voice, or stop the beard growing. I think, it is easier for a trans man to blend in unnoticed, than a trans woman.

There are some people, who usually refer to themselves as 3rd gender, who are not happy being male or female. They're not transsexual. I don't understand them, but I have met a few online.

The issue of gay/lesbian marriage, is a different ballgame than transsexual people being allowed to marry. I for one though, believe that same-sex marriage should be legalised, with religious bodies having the freedom to refuse marriage to same-sex couples, if it contravenes their faith.

Christina

Hey guys, what's the beef?
Ask any transperson how they feel now compared with how they felt last Wednesday and go from there.
Analyse, depersonalise, whatever...

Best summer of my life.

Huzzah!
[Big Grin]

Chast said:
"Isn't the question of what transsexuals are (...) part of the discussion at hand?"

Not if you're speaking scientifically about transsexualism it isn't. 'Transsexualism' is not some sort of inclusive, humpty dumpty term for cross-dressers, neuter gender, both gender, gender indeterminate people or people with other gender issues.

This is who we're talking about according to the ICD-10 definition in the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care:

Transsexualism (F64.0) has three criteria:

1. The desire to live and be accepted as a member of the opposite sex, usually accompanied by the wish to make his or her body as congruent as possible with the preferred sex through surgery and hormone treatment;

2. The transsexual identity has been present persistently for at least two years;

3. The disorder is not a symptom of another mental disorder or a chromosomal abnormality.

Chast:
"As another side note, if you find it "insulting" to suggest that transsexuals combine both genders, what does that mean regarding people who do believe, and proudly, that they do combine both genders?"

It means: 'Don't blithely include transgender (informal term: referring to any person with any type of gender issues) issues side by side with transsexualism like we're all one big happy family'.

It also means: 'People who do believe, and proudly, that they do combine both genders are not true transsexuals, by definition'.

It also means: 'Don't even think about telling a transsexual person they combine both genders, when they most certainly do not'.

Christina Marie said:
"I see the Berdache as simply trans men and women, who lived before medical treatment was available for transsexual people. (...) Of course they'd be seen by others as 'both sexes in one'. That was how non-berdache saw them though, not what the Berdache thought of themselves."

No argument from me. But the websites *you* (Chast) chose, celebrate 'berdache' as a 'third gender' or part of a gender continuum. Christina Marie commented: 'That was how the non-berdache saw them, not what the Berdache thought of themselves' (I'll assume Christina is correct here). So the berdache may well have been transsexual people who lived before medical treatment. BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT THE *WEBSITES* YOU CHOSE ARE SAYING. And so, your references to the berdache cloud the issue of what transsexuality is, which is something transsexual people can do without. (And I am using the terms 'transsexual' and 'transsexuality' strictly)

Chast said:
"And it does seem that at least one self-identified transsexual here (the other CM) does believe the Berdache concept to be relevant".

Christina said:
"So, if I can use my experiences as a transsexual woman, to help others resolve relationship problems, as the Berdache did, I see my experiences and condition, as a gift of God."

If I understand correctly, Christina understands the berdache to be transsexual. The websites you selected do not! What she sees as relevant (again, correct me if I am wrong) is the Berdache as an example of people using their condition to help others.

That first website you listed, I see even as hostile to transsexual people:
"In a metaphysical sense, the modern post-op TS could be seen as perpetuating gender role stereotypes and thus limiting the social wardrobe and habits restricting both males AND females". Well duh! Like is there something wrong with gender roles?

So. Just to remind you again. You opened the subject of berdache with a slew of websites which do not affirm the berdache as transsexual, and wondered how such notions could be approached within a christian context on a thread whose opening post is about the marriage of transsexual woman. I don't think that's a fair thing.

Hi Coot and CM,

My info on the Berdache, was info gained elsewhere, not from CMs links. I already knew about the Berdache, from TS sources, and was making my points from them.

I think of the Berdache as transsexuals, who had to cope with life without medical treatment. Therefore, I admire them.

I'll try and find a link about the Berdache from a TS site, and post it.

Christina

Christina: by your definition of berdache, yes relevant, historically important.

But the categorisation of berdache, as posited by the websites Chast lists (and which I was working from initially) I see as counterproductive to understanding transsexual people.

Is there any concrete evidence to show how the berdache really saw themselves?

I keep wanting to write 'bardiche'. Too much D&D I'm afraid.

quote:
So. Just to remind you again. You opened the subject of berdache with a slew of websites which do not affirm the berdache as transsexual, and wondered how such notions could be approached within a christian context on a thread whose opening post is about the marriage of transsexual woman. I don't think that's a fair thing.[/QB]

Is the subject of Berdache (or hjira, or kathooy) that relevant to the original thread? To me, that speaks to the history of the Transsexualism in Other Cultures, Other Times. If people want to take this out of here, and maybe start another thread?

Not denying ChristinaMarie's post about the fact that a burden can be turned into a gift, with regard to the ability to see into both sides of the gender divide.

But the central issue was about 'allowing a transsexual woman to marry' [a biological man].

For the Love of Jesus, why is there even a debate about allowing a woman to marry a man? What is the value in adding the adjective 'trans' to 'woman' in this context? Take the case of Elizabeth Bellinger here in the UK. Or Stephen Whittle. Both married for many years, with adopted children. In the case of Mrs Bellinger, the State actually unmarried them! In the case of Mr Whittle, he is not allowed to be his children's legal father. This is monstrous, and an affront to their love for their nearest and dearest.

It takes serious effort and committment for Love to exist in such a toxic environment.

For my honey, she came to Jesus a long time before she was aware that she suffered from gender identity dysphoria. For me, it was something I needed to be cured of before my mind was straight enough so that I could be born again.

Do we love, and do we celebrate the Love of Jesus? Of course we do. For is that not the message of Our Lord?

I fear that many are mistaking two issues. Should homosexual liasions be sanctified? And why ever should heterosexual liaison not be? [No matter what the gender history of one - or both - of the people involved]. Nit-picking the latter is just plain silly.

Yours in Christ,
Donna Patricia

Posted by sarkycow (# 1012) on :

[Slight tangent]

One of my friends is a lesbian, and her long-term partner is a mtf, also a lesbian.

Due to the laws in Britain saying that my friend's girlfriend cannot change her gender legally, she is still registered as a bloke.

What happens if they ever wish to get married? A registry office has to legally allow them to - despite to all intents and purposes it being a lesbian wedding!

I can see the headlines:
British laws disappear up their own rectum.

[/Slight tangent]

Viki

Posted by Mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by sarkycow:
I can see the headlines:
British laws disappear up their own rectum.

LOL!

Reader Alexis

Er... Dear Coot -- are you angry at me or something? Because I have meant absolutely no offence whatsoever. I'm also used to "transsexual" and "transgender" being used interchangeably, whether this is due to my own limited experience, or if it is a US thing, or a gay-politics thing (I'm used to it being the often-neglected "T" in "LGBT" over here a lot, and many people in the T* community don't like being left out, so it's been coming up in the gay press from time to time) -- not in a medical or scientific context at all. I also said
quote:
Actually, I wasn't trying to make specific points with them -- I tried to get what information, in general, I could, from the viewpoints at hand. (My own point of view, such as it is, I posted earlier on the thread.)
I picked those links because they seemed to have quite a bit of information from some different points of view, not because I necessarily agreed with all or any of them. They were the main ones which came up in Google.

I sincerely am a bit confused -- it sounds to me as if you are saying that no transsexual people regard gender as a continuum, or as if that continuum-based notion of gender was philosophically opposed to something intrinsically underlying transsexual philosophy, but I don't think I'm reading you right. (If I am, ironically, as I do regard gender as one of those absolute things rather than a continuum, I am more in agreement with it.)

But no offence whatsoever was intended, and if anything came across as offensive, I apologise.

David

quote:
Due to the laws in Britain saying that my friend's girlfriend cannot change her gender legally, she is still registered as a bloke.

What happens if they ever wish to get married? A registry office has to legally allow them to - despite to all intents and purposes it being a lesbian wedding!

Such weddings have taken place. I remember seeing a photograph of the brides, both dresses in white.

My understanding is that currently your friends would be allowed to marry. But if the mtf friend decided to 'officially' become a female (in the eyes of the Law), then they would not be allowed to marry. There is currently no provision of gay/lesbian marriages.

I wonder what would happen if they were to marry, then for the mtf friend to offically change gender. Would their marriage fall through a hole in the Law, or would their marriage become void?

bb

CM and Coot,

I believe the word 'transgendered' has more than one meaning.

1. It is an umbrella term for those who are transsexual, transvestite, crossdresser, etc.

2. It is a specific term for someone who is more than a transvestite (crossdresser) but not transsexual. ie A man during the day, a woman at night, type of thing.

The context determines which definition is meant. I do not see myself as transgendered, as I am always female, but if I saw a website for transgendered Christians, I know it is for transsexuals too.

I hope this helps.

Christina

quote:
Er... Dear Coot -- are you angry at me or something?

Yer I am. Mildly, for not discerning the difference between transsexual people and others. Because the difference is clinical and scientific. And that's why I have been very precise in my usage of the word - I think we need to quantify exactly what we're talking about otherwise we talk meaninglessly, or worse, cause confusion. But also, transsexual people already have enough difficulties with being classified as 'perves', without being classified as 'perves who choose to be perves'. That people have the ability to 'choose one's gender', is one of the conclusions people draw from phrases like: "Gender is a social construct".

Now, before anyone starts jumping up and down and telling me what a nasty stereotypical binary bigot I am (I am, but if you're going to think that, make sure it's for the right reasons), and not that it matters 2 knobs of goat turd, but I'll demonstrate my consistency here:

If the sexual formation and identity (ie. that irreversible differentiation of the brain) can be completely disrupted so that an XY foetus becomes an individual with completely female brain psychology - a woman; then the possibility that the brain differentiates only partially leading to people who report their gender as 'both', neuter, or somewhere on a continuum, is not so far-fetched. There are another 4 clinical classifications for gender dysphoria in ICD-10 other than transsexualism.
quote:
I sincerely am a bit confused -- it sounds to me as if you are saying that no transsexual people regard gender as a continuum, or as if that continuum-based notion of gender was philosophically opposed to something intrinsically underlying transsexual philosophy, but I don't think I'm reading you right.
Yes, you are reading me right. True transsexual people do not see themselves somewhere on a gender continuum (by definition of the clinical condition!), they are 'man' or 'woman'. As for whether transsexual people hold to a model of gender as a continuum, you'll have to ask the others. I have already given a possible aetiology (superficial as it is) as to why someone's gender identity might be non-binary.

quote:
But no offence whatsoever was intended, and if anything came across as offensive, I apologise.
No. You weren't offensive, you were your usual authentic (I hate that word) self.

But seeing as you're asking, you'll help me avoid having a nuclear accident by not posting in heaven that you flag right, grey, black in the same breath as saying you're chaste and celibate.

Hi Coot,

I've something to say about this:

"That people have the ability to 'choose one's gender', is one of the conclusions people draw from phrases like: "Gender is a social construct".
"

I feel like I had a male gender forced upon me, by social pressures, from my parents and family, and peers, etc. I tried my best to learn to be male. I succeeded to a point (I did 12 years military service).

However, I never felt right. I always had a fear of being exposed, so always tried to cover up the fact that I felt female, but couldn't articulate it.

My gender identity is female, and it is innate. I believe it is in my brain.

While living as a man, I did so by method acting. I observed what males did, and tried to do the same.

While living as a man, I always had an inner fear. Now, I am free from that fear, because I am behaving naturally, instead of being forced to be something I'm not.

When I was about 10 years old, there was an Action Man craze going on. I asked my Dad for one. He said, 'Girls play with dolls!' That's how extreme things were for me.

Christina

quote:
My understanding is that currently your friends would be allowed to marry. But if the mtf friend decided to 'officially' become a female (in the eyes of the Law), then they would not be allowed to marry. There is currently no provision of gay/lesbian marriages.

I wonder what would happen if they were to marry, then for the mtf friend to offically change gender. Would their marriage fall through a hole in the Law, or would their marriage become void?

bb

AFAIU mtf girlfriend cannot legally/officially change her gender. So in the eyes of the law they have a perfectly 'normal' relationship - one male, and one female. the fact that the male does the whole make-up, bras, dresses thing (and a lot more besides) is neither here nor there legally.

But it's looking like Britain may get moving, and eventually allow transsexuals to change gender legally (on driving licences and such). If they have got married before that, then British laws regarding same-sex marriages will have to change, as you pointed out [Wink]

Here's hoping [Smile]

Viki

Viki,

We've been allowed to have 'female' on driving licences and passports for a long time now. It's just birth certificates that are the problem. For marriage purposes, it is the sex on one's birth certificate that counts.

I have a female passpost and dl.

Christina

My understanding of the European Court case was that it meant that transsexuals were now allowed to legally change their gender.

I believe that the Government claims that a Birth Certificate is a historic document, and simply give the sex of the child at birth. There is some latitude to change the sex if a mistake has been made. It is only possible for a short period, ie before the child can say "Well, actually I am a xxxx."

bb

quote:
quote:

Such weddings have taken place. I remember seeing a photograph of the brides, both dresses in white.

bb

Two quick points.

I know a heterosexual couple who were recently married. What was a bit unusual was that they are both trans. The only thing that was odd about the wedding ceremony was the groom taking this "man" and the bride taking this "woman"! [Smile]

Also, if in a pre-existing conventional marriage, the husband goes through full transition, and they decide to stay together - and in a sexual relationship - then that marriage has truly become a lesbian marriage. I know several couples in this situation. And the marriage remains perfectly legal. [Wink]

Yours in Christ
DonnaPatricia

quote:
Originally posted by ChristinaMarie:
Viki,

We've been allowed to have 'female' on driving licences and passports for a long time now. It's just birth certificates that are the problem. For marriage purposes, it is the sex on one's birth certificate that counts.

I have a female passpost and dl.

Christina

Doh! Picked the wrong bit of paper! Sorry, guess I wasn't listening to my friend rant about this as closely as I should have been.

Viki

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

I am truly addicted to this board...everything reminds me of it...I thougth of this thread when this morning Greg Kihn was interviewing Aunt Fran and I thought it was a joke thing since Greg is a little shyster... but I did a search and found the article in the SJ Merc Today and found it to be true.

Aunt Fran used to be "Uncle Frank", a hippy rocker freaky guy on a bang yer head rock and roll station, KOME (now defunct). This is the station that used to have Dennis Erectus , a guy who lived up to his name (I was a 13 year fan of Dennis and used to listen to him when the parents weren't around).

I think I'm genuinely baffled here now.

quote:
That people have the ability to 'choose one's gender', is one of the conclusions people draw from phrases like: "Gender is a social construct".

If someone believes that all gender is a social construct, though, which I hasten to say that I don't, and even if someone believes that people have the ability to choose it (which I also don't believe personally) -- well, that's a subject we can discuss in Purgatory on a thread like this, isn't it? It sounds as if you're saying "people who don't believe as I, and the people at ICD-10, cannot discuss this matter on this thread." And I can't believe you'd say that -- goodness knows we have people who don't even believe in evolution who post here on the Ship.

quote:
True transsexual people do not see themselves somewhere on a gender continuum (by definition of the clinical condition!), they are 'man' or 'woman'.
What do you mean by "true"? Wouldn't this be possibly offensive to someone who does see gender as a continuum, but that their body is at one end and their mind/soul/self at the other?

quote:
You weren't offensive, you were your usual authentic (I hate that word) self.

Thank you. But then why are you angry if I have done no wrong? [Confused]
quote:
But seeing as you're asking, you'll help me avoid having a nuclear accident by not posting in heaven that you flag right, grey, black in the same breath as saying you're chaste and celibate.
Well -- I am, or try to be, yes, and with regard to that particular line, and within three days, I posted
quote:
Could someone, erm, edit or delete my post above? This is Heaven, a place for light/silly fun, and while my post is accurate, it's a weensy bit, ah, explicit, I believe, for Heaven... / David /
embarrassed and penitent orthodox guy

and no one ever did, and this was two weeks ago now. But what does this have to do with the subject at hand? [Confused]

I'm also a tad confused here -- I thought the other CM admirably cleared up a lot of the confusion about usage of terms. Not all of us here are going to be using the scientific or clinical terms, especially if they consider themselves transsexual but don't accept the ICD-10's definition.

Am I missing something here? Does everyone else here regard the ICD-10 as the arbiter of these definitions? Isn't some of what is at hand (the nature of gender and what an individual's intrinsic nature is) more a philosophical and metaphysical issue (which is not what the ICD-10 purports to be an authority on, is it?), not a medical or scientific one?

I mean, it seems to me that there are two (well, many more, really) sides to this issue (or cluster of issues), and while I don't agree with the "continuum" notion either, I think people who believe that way have just as much a right to speak on this thread as you or I do.

What happens if someone's metaphysics/philosophy holds that a "continuum" exists? Are they just not welcome on the thread? (For that matter, what if that's their philosophy, but believe they are much closer to one pole than the other, and seek surgery? Are they denied it because of their metaphysics?)

David
truly confused orth. guy

quote:
I think I'm genuinely baffled here now.

I mean, it seems to me that there are two (well, many more, really) sides to this issue (or cluster of issues), and while I don't agree with the "continuum" notion either, I think people who believe that way have just as much a right to speak on this thread as you or I do.

What happens if someone's metaphysics/philosophy holds that a "continuum" exists? Are they just not welcome on the thread? (For that matter, what if that's their philosophy, but believe they are much closer to one pole than the other, and seek surgery? Are they denied it because of their metaphysics?)

David
truly confused orth. guy

Well, let me see if I can clear away some confusion, at least.

Christina Marie defined two meanings for the word 'transgendered'. Both are perfectly correct, and in wide use around the world. But she speaks with an English voice. I'm Anglo-Canadian, and I see things not only from both sides of the gender divide, but also from both sides of the Pond.

In the USA, particularly, there is a strong move to use the word 'transgender' politically, which takes as foundation the 'continuum' notion. The rationale, of course, is that if trans people get any equal rights treatment legally, because of their medical history, then that should equally apply to jocks in frocks. Please note, this is not to put down cross-dressers.

But a man who is a transvestite has an innately male gender identity, and would no more dream of having phallectomy and vaginoplasty, that he would of flying without a 747.

A trans woman like myself (please note also, it is incorrect to call me a transsexual; I am cured and no longer suffer from gender identity dysphoria) is a woman with an interesting history. I see no continuum. Neither do the vast majority of trans women of my acquaintance. The few who do tend to be left-wing social scientists. [Wink]

Transsexualism is easy to understand. It is an illness more properly called profound gender identity dysphoria (or disorder). The old homily about a woman's brain trapped in a man's body is actually pretty good shorthand for it. It is curable, and there is only one known method: triadic therapy. That means hormones, living in the correct gender role, and surgery. Incidentally, I'd no more wear a shirt and tie than you would wear a dress. I'd look (and feel) just plain silly, cross-dressed.

I wish to re-iterate: I'm not knocking transvestites. But a transvestite is not a person suffering from that dreadful illness, GID. There is no 'continuum' of gender identity (but of course it is an observable fact that there is a continuum of 'gender expression' - credit for this comment to Christina Marie).

And there is nothing to stop any 'transgendered' person coming to God. But it is harder for some. Does anyone have anything to say on my earlier post, where I said:
quote:
It was only after that [getting cured], when my mind was straight, and I was me, that I could spend a couple of years debating with ChristinaMarie and thinking seriously about the nature of the Universe. This was the path which led me to see Christianity as the Elegant Solution to the Mystery of why the Universe is the way it is.

Elegant Solutions are really important to scientist/engineer types like me.

Yours in Christ,
Donna Patricia

quote:
If someone believes that all gender is a social construct, though, which I hasten to say that I don't, and even if someone believes that people have the ability to choose it (which I also don't believe personally) -- well, that's a subject we can discuss in Purgatory on a thread like this, isn't it? It sounds as if you're saying "people who don't believe as I, and the people at ICD-10, cannot discuss this matter on this thread."

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! David! [Coot becomes a Woodpecker for a short time, banging head on computer desk]. Transsexualism is a quantifiable, scientific, clinical condition! Donna Patricia has covered it well in the last post. The word 'transsexual' has strict meaning. This is not just my whimsy or belief, but a term and medical condition recognised by the international medical community. Therefore, if you talk about people somwhere between male and female on a gender continuum, you are not talking about transsexuals by definition! And if a person who reports their gender identity as such, says 'I am a transsexual', they are making an error of terminology!

Right. Now. As far as discussing socially constructed gender and gender dysphoria that results in gender expression neither male nor female - well yes, I'd rather see it on another thread, because it just serves to confuse the issue of what transsexualism is. But that is a matter for the hosts.

quote:
Not all of us here are going to be using the scientific or clinical terms, especially if they consider themselves transsexual but don't accept the ICD-10's definition.
People who consider themselves transsexual but don't fit the diagnostic criteria for transsexualism, can consider themselves transsexual all they like, but they are *not* transsexual! For example, if I have emphysema, I don't go around telling people I have asthma.
quote:
Chast:
quote:
Coot:
True transsexual people do not see themselves somewhere on a gender continuum (by definition of the clinical condition!), they are 'man' or 'woman'.

What do you mean by "true"? Wouldn't this be possibly offensive to someone who does see gender as a continuum, but that their body is at one end and their mind/soul/self at the other?
Yes, the 'true' was redundant, I was trying to stress 'transsexual according to the medical condition. In the hypothetical case you describe, if the person sees their gender as the opposite of their biological sex then (provided the other criteria are met) they are transsexual. Their model of gender or understanding of gender identity is inconsequential.

quote:
But then why are you angry if I have done no wrong?
Well, I said I was mildly angry. It's just a personal response when transsexualism is confused with alternative gender expression or the other diagnoses for Gender Identity Disorders.

quote:
(Coot - irrelevant sentence about Chast, leather, chastity and celibacy) Chast:
But what does this have to do with the subject at hand?

Nothing. We can discuss the matter further on your leather thread.

quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
I am truly addicted to this board...everything reminds me of it...I thougth of this thread when this morning Greg Kihn was interviewing Aunt Fran and I thought it was a joke thing since Greg is a little shyster... but I did a search and found the article in the SJ Merc Today and found it to be true.

Aunt Fran used to be "Uncle Frank", a hippy rocker freaky guy on a bang yer head rock and roll station, KOME (now defunct). This is the station that used to have Dennis Erectus , a guy who lived up to his name (I was a 13 year fan of Dennis and used to listen to him when the parents weren't around).

Thanks for the links, Duchess,

Don't Aunt Fran look good? I think she'll make a great 'ambassador' for trans people if she can get a job as a DJ. It's not just peoples' minds we need to win, but their hearts too.

Gay and lesbian people have been successful in changing peoples' attitudes, by being willing to come out. With transsexual people, coming out, goes against the grain. If one desires to 'just be a man or woman', coming out hardly helps. Politically however, it is necessary that some trans people are known to be trans, as 'invisible' people can hardly change others' attitudes.

Christina

Aunt FRan wouldn't be the first tansexual Dj. There is Caroline John who was Glenn Richards.

Is this the same Greg Khin as in "jepody" I ask myself?

quote:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! David! [Coot becomes a Woodpecker for a short time, banging head on computer desk]. Transsexualism is a quantifiable, scientific, clinical condition!

Believe me, I understand; there's another thread I started which has gotten derailed as I look on, frantically waving my arms and shouting, and no one listens, so I've started adding this is karmic guilt for the Berdache thing, isn't it? to my sig... [Heart] *HUG* [Heart]

Re the use of the term -- I will try to be more careful in future. I think the terms are used much more loosely here in the US and are all mixed up by "identity politics" -- which is where I have gotten most of my information from. And generally mixed up in a trans*-friendly context -- not by opponents but by people who mean well, as well as people who consider themselves trans* but may not fit the technical definitions of the ICD-10. It may not be a "me too" thing -- they may simply not know that technical definitions fit into it -- or even that there is an international standard (I, erm, didn't -- I was assuming that each country had its own [Embarrassed] ) in the first place... also glad to hear that someone's personal ideology doesn't exclude them from being treated the same as anyone else!

(Massive (potentially derailing) text about existentialism, gender studies, graduate school, etc. deleted -- I'll just say that I've encountered so many people who assume that gender is a social construct that I assume that I am in a tiny minority, but perhaps my sampling is way off.)

We may not agree about the metaphysics of this, but I definitely want to be able to use the correct words for things. I've known too many people who refuse to use the word "gay" lest they somehow "validate" the notion of homosexuality/gayness, and they come across to me as very, very rude. I don't want to do that!!

[Heart] reconciliation hugs [Heart]

David
still, however, interested in the whole Berdache phenomenon, though he still also suffers karmically for it elsewhere, apparently

Don't you dare hug me! [Wink] And if you do it better be an especially macho manly hug accompanied by backslapping and comments about football in a deep voice.

I will say that on the whole in everyday speech I am not a semantic nazi, but in this case 'cos we are having a fairly indepth and serious conversation I've been ruthless on the matter. In the past I've used 'transgender' in its US meaning and also for ftm/mtf people in transition and reserved 'transsexual' for post-operative, transitioned people. I have seen the error of my ways (nothing like a convert) and in the interests of education and dignity use 'man', 'woman'; or transsexual man/woman; trans- man/woman; XX-man, XY-woman if for some reason this is relevant. I have seen people commonly identify as: man, transman, tranny boy, transfag.

Further to the thread this may be of interest:
An expert witness statement (about halfway down page) in the case of Elizabeth Bellinger (a transwoman whose 20yr marriage was declared void). The affidavit is by Prof. Louis Gooren, the doctor whose papers the EA in their book 'Transsexuality' use at times favourably and dismiss at others.

ChristinaMarie, she does look good. She is fortunate to be in the best place for her to get a DJ job and should find work soon.

MR PINK, He was in jepody...baby..oooooooooooooooooohhhoooo

I would like to thank both ChristinaMarie and DonnaPatricia for boldly giving us such an insight into where they're coming from. As I said, way back in this thread, those of us to whom this is never an issue, are ill equipped to understand the pain that is suffered over these issues. Many of us could never understand the differences between gayness, transdressing and transexualism, and you have done your best to explain it all.

I have a question for DonnaMarie, which you can feel free to refuse to answer. You told us that in your previous life as a man, you fathered a daughter. Does that have any bearing on your present way of life? Does she cope?

Newsflash...this ended up in my mailbox so I can not link to it...but copied and pasted it:

KFOX EMAIL UPDATE!!

BENNETT RETURNS TO THE AIR!
We're pleased to welcome back to the KFOX on-air team..."Aunt" Fran Bennett. She'll be filling in for Chris Jackson who will be on vacation... back in the shift previously held by "Uncle" Frank Bennett. Listen this Monday (July 22nd) and welcome her back!

[Big Grin]

quote:
I would like to thank both ChristinaMarie and DonnaPatricia for boldly giving us such an insight into where they're coming from. As I said, way back in this thread, those of us to whom this is never an issue, are ill equipped to understand the pain that is suffered over these issues. Many of us could never understand the differences between gayness, transdressing and transexualism, and you have done your best to explain it all.

I have a question for DonnaMarie, which you can feel free to refuse to answer. You told us that in your previous life as a man, you fathered a daughter. Does that have any bearing on your present way of life? Does she cope?

Oh Gosh! We're not joined at the hip, you know. This is Donna Patricia speaking. And why should I refuse to answer? My life is an open book. I have nothing to hide. No shame about anything, here! [Smile]

But you didn't read my post on another thread. I said:
quote:

Hi,

I want to speak to this issue on a very serious topic, as a woman who used to suffer from gender identity dysphoria (aka transsexualism).

Profesor Richard Green (an eminent man) wrote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------
Available evidence does not support concerns that a parent’s transsexualism directly adversely impacts on the children. By contrast, there is extensive clinical experience showing the detriment to children in consequence of terminated contact with a parent after divorce
--------------------------------------------------
He has also given evidence in Court as to why a trans parent should be given right of access to the children.

I sweated buckets of blood before I told my daughter (then 14) that I was suffering from GID. She seemed completely nonplussed, and I asked her why. She said Oh, I've known for about two years. That was two years longer than I did!

Goodness, children are far smarter than we give them credit for!

Problems today? Zip. I go to her Royal Navy ceremonies, and there just isn't an issue.

So be honest with your chldren is the best policy

I'm seeing her tomorrow; she's on leave from the Ark Royal where she is a Weapons Engineer, and we (me, her, and my ex-wife) will probably go out for a drink or maybe dinner together. So wassafuss?

I also want to address your comment "in your previous life as a man". Ummm. This is a tough one. I could go into details (and will if you want) but essentially puberty was so brutal that I developed method acting to the point where I believed I was a man (as a small child, I acted and was - apart from having a willy - a girl). Post-puberty, I was hyper-masculine in behavior. I call it "eggshell theory" meaning that I constructed a male persona (the hard, thick, 'eggshell') so convincing, it even fooled me! Eventually she kicked her way out of the eggshell. Truly, I was never a man, I was a nascent transsexual. But the bits worked, and I became convinced I was a bloke, so married and became a father.

Is there an issue with me and my daughter today? No. What does she tell her friends? She's my pater. Bearing on my present way of life? (I presume you mean living with another woman in a committed and loving monogamous relationship). No. [Yipee]

And would I rather have a Universe where I found my true gender identity early, and thus never become a parent? Not in an aeon. For it is true to say that the hardest thing for older folk like me is the impact on the family, and missing out on their own childhood; and it is equally true to say that the hardest thing for youngsters is never to have had the opportunity to have had a family. Truly, 'tis a real Honest-to-God bitch of a thing.

But I love my daughter, and I would rather have had the pain, and a Universe with her in it, than one without. These feelings are echoed by my ex-wife.

Ah well, these things are sent to try us, and as Christina Marie has rightly pointed out, the burden can be turned into a gift from God.

Yours in Christ,
Donna Patricia

quote:
. . . Many of us could never understand the differences between gayness, transdressing and transexualism, and you have done your best to explain it all. . .

You've made up a new word, which I feel is absolutely bang-on! The word is "transdressing".

And that is how oh so many trans people feel about cross-dressing men who like to wear female clothes for some (or even all) of the time. I should tell you, there is a strong element of disquiet amongst trans people - especially in the US - about transdressers who would hijack transsexuality for their own political purposes by calling it part of the 'transgender continuum'.

If a man wants to wear a skirt, fine, I don't care. But I do have an ethical problem with being lumped in with (excuse the crudity) chicks with dicks. It offends my sense of rightness to have my former serious medical condition associated with transdressing.

Having an illness (no matter what is is), and getting better is Good, in the Christian sense, because if one thinks about one's recovery, it helps us to Love more. Gosh, I know that to be a fact! But trying to link two distinct phenomena does not do so. And thus I consider the concept of 'transgender rights' not only invalid, but immoral.

Yours in Christ,
Donna Patricia

Hi Folks,

I'd like to bring up a subject that we can all contribute to, that of sexism. One of the problems associated with my GID, was that I felt inferior. Why?

I was brought up in a very male chauvinist family, and society. Starting at a very young age, any behaviour that was remotely female, was 'stamped on'. It was done in such a way, that implied I was behaving like an inferior person.

Boys are quite often compared with girls, when they are being insulted, with the aim to make them perform better. If a boy isn't playing soccer very well, his Dad or Schoolteacher, will often shout, 'You're kicking that ball like a girl!' If boys are talking in class, 'You're like a couple of girls!' is sometimes said. If a boy is upset and starts crying, well, it's 'Boys don't cry!'.

I was never told directly that females are inferior to males, but at home, my Mom did everything in the house, my Dad did nothing. This gives a subconscious message, that women are here to serve men. Being compared to a girl, when being told off, subconsciously says, 'girls are inferior.'

Not all trans women have had this experience, I know Donna Patricia hasn't, but many have.

I wasn't just hiding my true self, for all those years, but feelings of inferiority associated with my feminine feelings, that others had brainwashed me into believing were inferior.

Any comments?

PaulTH: Donna's daughter knows me, and we get on very well.

Christina

I've always felt women were more powerful (& I Don't mean in a PC or Sexual way)

Think of all those sterotypical northern battleaxe types.

I went to an all boys school for the last three years of my education & it was drilled into us that men were superior to women. I know of one teacher who taught Us O level RE who lasted a term because she couldn't take the inherient sexism of the staff room or the fact that we had to adhere to COE based view of scripture (& an evangelical one at that) whereas we had before been encouraged to think for ourselfs.

Posted by Saint Sebastian (# 312) on :

I have a question: why does anyone who isn't transexual (or transgendered or gay or straight, for that matter)care enough about the issue to oppose those who are? What kind of threat do those of us outside the norm pose that makes people create God Hates Fags websites, oppose gay marriage, transexual or gay teachers, etc etc ad infinitum? It's not like the majority of people in the world are going to adopt those identities once they know they won't get killed for it. I just don't understand. . . [Confused]

quote:
Originally posted by Saint Sebastian:
I have a question: why does anyone who isn't transexual (or transgendered or gay or straight, for that matter)care enough about the issue to oppose those who are? What kind of threat do those of us outside the norm pose that makes people create

Why does anyone hate another person? Quite often, they were brought up that way. More to the point, they never learned to think.

No threat is offered, except to their worldview from the existence of women such as myself.

I have a simple response. Speak softly, and carry a Brno Arms CZ-75 with 15 Black Rhinos in the mag and one up the spout. Ensure you have Pachmyr grips, Trijicon sights, and have removed the mag spring for fast reload (I just described my personal weapon).

More to the point, you threaten tribalism . A primitive concept, true, but one we see in I'm brown, but she is black! It is the age-old problem of 'not one of us'.

What can we do? Why, spread the Good News, of course! Th more Christians there are, the more love and tolerance there will be in the world.

Yours in Christ
Donna Patricia

Posted by Saint Sebastian (# 312) on :

Donna Patricia, It occurs to me that you might make a great Laura Croft. I can see you standing in the flaming ruins one foot on the back of a new-fallen foe saying,"Let me explain Transexualism to you ONE more time. . . " [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Saint Sebastian:
Donna Patricia, It occurs to me that you might make a great Laura Croft. I can see you standing in the flaming ruins one foot on the back of a new-fallen foe saying,"Let me explain Transexualism to you ONE more time. . . " [Razz]

Oh! She could, she could! Believe me, she could!

Christina [Big Grin]

OOOpppsss! [Eek!]

Didn't realise the computer was logged on to Donna's account. That last post was from me.

Christina

Posted by Icarus Coot (# 220) on :

Vatican says 'sex-change' operation does not change person's gender.
quote:
"The key point is that the (transsexual) surgical operation is so superficial and external that it does not change the personality. If the person was male, he remains male. If she was female, she remains female," said the source.
Hm. Yes. There will be no argument from TS people about this one. One's core gender remains the same - there is no change in gender. Surgery is a corrective procedure, its function is to rehabilitate the body as well as is possible so that it is congruent with the sex of the brain. But somehow, I think 'the source's' understanding of gender and the biology of brain sex is different from that of ts ppl and medical researchers in the field.

Please note that in all posts on this thread and elsewhere I refer to the medical condition 'transsexualism' and not 'transgenderism'. Transgenderism is an imprecise umbrella term that includes: crossdressers and 'genderblenders/genderqueers'. Many TS people resent being grouped in this classification.

Further to the Purgatory thread 'RCs and transgender':

quote:
Icarus Coot:
quote:
Originally posted by Ley Druid:
The Vatican teaches that a fertilized egg is a person. Such a person has a sexual identity based on chromosomes that will stay with them for the rest of their lives. What's the big deal?

The big deal is that your view of sexual identity stems from the 1950s when genetic testing was available. Prior to that (C.19th) sexual identity was determined by the appearance of the genitalia. The current medical and legal view is not that people with transsexualism have any incongruity between their psychology and their biology (as asserted legally in the 1960s divorce case Corbett vs. Corbett), but that the sexual differentiation of the brain is as much a biological factor as chromosomes as determining identity.

What you have pronounced with authority as the determinant of sexual identity perpetuates the thinking that people with transsexualism have some sort of psychological flaw that makes them follow a 'lifestyle choice' and that this 'lifestyle choice' can be cured with prayer and/or therapy. This is the type of thinking that has led to the rejection and abuse of ppl with ts by the Church.

A point on consistency:
Why in respect of the Church, the view that chromosomes determine identity is flawed: It leads to an inconsistency in the way that intersex people have been viewed by the Church. Was the historical Church wrong all the time that it accepted XY-women as women? These women with Complete Androgen Insensitivity are phenotypically indistinguishable from XX-women and they experience their gender as female. You cannot say that it is their socialisation or their anatomy that has led to their experience of gender as female when you consider for example, the case of David Reimer, born XY, a twin, who was accidentally castrated during circumcision and was surgically reassigned and raised female. He experienced his gender as male and insisted he was male (leading to corrective surgery later in life), in spite of socialisation and appearance. So there must exist some marker, predisposition or biological imperative determining sex identity. What then, of the CAIS (XY) people who insist that they are male (often 'socialised' female, and again with entirely female appearing bodies)? The Church generally accepts these people as male because they have a 'legitimate' intersex condition. So here is an example of the Church accepting that some XY people (who appear female) have a male sex identity, whereas the others (who historically the Church has been oblivious to) have a female sex identity.

The current medical and legal view:
There is an excellent medical primer in the case Re Kevin (validity of marriage of transsexual) [2001] FamCA 1074, paragraphs 209-273 (full text of the judgement starts here). This is fairly long but the salient points are:
So basically, the big deal is that the Church, particularly conservative evangelical churches, treats TS people as perves and accepts them as long as they stay celibate (because it views them as 'super-homosexuals') or worse makes membership of the congregation conditional upon them 'reverting'. This is no more possible in a correctly diagnosed XX man than it is in a XY man (and similarly for XY women/XX women), immoral, and seriously damaging considering the great risk of suicide and self-mutilation among people with TS.

Posted by Ley Druid (# 3246) on :

I am responding to this from the RC transgender thread. I'm a Catholic, so I can only speak as a Catholic. If someone wants to say the Catholic church is wrong on any moral pronouncement it makes, God bless them.
Originally posted by Coot:
quote:
Why in respect of the Church, the view that chromosomes determine identity is flawed: It leads to an inconsistency in the way that intersex people have been viewed by the Church. Was the historical Church wrong all the time that it accepted XY-women as women? These women with Complete Androgen Insensitivity are phenotypically indistinguishable from XX-women and they experience their gender as female. You cannot say that it is their socialisation or their anatomy that has led to their experience of gender as female when you consider for example, the case of David Reimer, born XY, a twin, who was accidentally castrated during circumcision and was surgically reassigned and raised female. He experienced his gender as male and insisted he was male (leading to corrective surgery later in life), in spite of socialisation and appearance. So there must exist some marker, predisposition or biological imperative determining sex identity. What then, of the CAIS (XY) people who insist that they are male (often 'socialised' female, and again with entirely female appearing bodies)? The Church generally accepts these people as male because they have a 'legitimate' intersex condition. So here is an example of the Church accepting that some XY people (who appear female) have a male sex identity, whereas the others (who historically the Church has been oblivious to) have a female sex identity.

The Church has made inconsistent moral pronouncements on many issues, usury and slavery are the first that come to mind, but there are others. If inconsistency invalidates one's ability to make moral decisions, then woe to us who have ever erred.

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

copied from closed thread in Purgatory:

quote:
Originally posted by Duo Seraphim:
This is in some senses a spin-off from the thread "RCs and transgender", albeit from the other perspective - namely how the law treats marriage of post-operative transexuals.

The Full Court of the Family Court of Australia has recently ruled
ruled that a "man" for the purposes of marriage includes a post-operative female to male transexual. Thus the marriage of "Kevin" to "Jennifer" was valid for the purposes of the Marriage Act 1961 (Commonwealth of Australia) on the basis that "Kevin" was a man at the date of their marriage and thus the marriage of "Kevin" and "Jennifer" was valid.

The circumstances of "Kevin"'s birth were irrelevant - gender at the time of marriage is what counts. "Man" or "woman" thus bear the meaning given to them in contemporary Australian society, which includes post-operative transexuals in accordance with their re-assigned gender.

It is likely that there will be a further appeal to the High Court of Australia (local equivalent of the House of Lords or the US Supreme Court and ultimate court of appeal in this country). There is certainly support within the Catholic Church here for such a challenge.

The case raises fundamental questions, including:

1. What is the definition of marriage?
2. What makes a valid marriage? At law? In the eyes of the Church?
3. Is marriage a purely legal construct?
4. How can a legal definition of eligibility for marriage based on contemporary custom be reconciled with canon law?
5. What is marriage for?
6. What role does the Church have in pushing its views on marriage in a secular society?

quote:
Originally posted by Ley Druid:
Excellent thread.
Given this latest ruling in Florida I think your questions are fully relevant here in the USA.

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
OK, as this thread got a good kicking, might as well try to answer some questions.

Personally, i feel the marriage was valid, as it was between two people of the opposite sex. Therefore is legal, as legally there was one man and one woman.

In the eyes of the church, imho, marriage is the joining together of a man and a wife, who love each other and want to make a commitment before God and their friends that they will remain with each other for the rest of their lives. It also gives the opportunity for reproduction.

However, I feel that marriage is definately changing. People are not married for life as much these days, and are not marrying in church, Marriage has become much more of a secular service than a religous one. This brings the question 'Do we still need marriage?'

I think as a church, we should push for the idea that marriage is a relationship, between two people who love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together, and want to make a contract in front of God. However, whether it stays as 'marriage' or just as two people having a blessing I don't know.

Do we need marriage these days?

This post probably asks more qquestions than it answers, but....

Tom

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
quote:
1. What is the definition of marriage?
Depends on who you're asking. My personal definition (as expressed in my own marriage) is that two individuals vow to stay together until death; the easiest way to achieve this goal is to constantly remember that your spouse is wonderful for putting up with your shortcomings. Remember, not remind!

quote:
2. What makes a valid marriage? At law? In the eyes of the Church?
Duh. A valid marriage at-law is a legal contract under the terms of the law. A valid marriage in the eyes of the Church is subject to the internal laws/canons/beliefs of the particular church. (So, No, I don't believe there is a single Christian definition of marriage.)

quote:
3. Is marriage a purely legal construct?
The concept of marriage is not a purely legal construct, but that does not mean that secular society cannot create a legal construct of marriage which may differ from the religious and philosophical concept of marriage.

quote:
4. How can a legal definition of eligibility for marriage based on contemporary custom be reconciled with canon law?
Why should it be?

quote:
5. What is marriage for?
Lots of things. Nothing. To beat your thick head against reality. What do you mean "What is it for?' Like most of life, it just is! And hopefully you learn something from it.

quote:
6. What role does the Church have in pushing its views on marriage in a secular society?
None. The Church (whatever church) should concentrate on convincing its own members to accept its views on marriage and let the secular government determine the rules for civil (secular) marriage.

OK, I spit all this off the top of my head. Let the debate begin!

Posted by Raspberry Rabbit (# 3080) on :

Babybear wrote:

quote:
Then along comes genetics which says that there are males XY and females XX, but there are also 'in-betweeners' XXY XYY etc
I've certainly heard a lot of medical terms being used in this thread - giving me the impression that a majority of those living as trans-sexual, trans-gendered people have some demonstrable difference in their chromosomes from the rest of us who tend to be either XX or XY. Is this in fact the case?

People who have been 'told by the medical profession' that they are transgendered when 'in the midst of a depression' have been told this, I gather, by a psychiatrist based on something other than a study of their chromosomes?

Raspberry Rabbit
Postmaster,
Ulan Bator, Mongolia

Posted by Zeke (# 3271) on :

I hope I am not just beating a dead horse (ha ha), but my own experience of a transgendered person is a boy I was in high school with. He was small and delicate and shy, preferred cooking and sewing as spare-time activities, and had a high voice (sang first tenor in the school choir). A number of years later I heard that he had had surgery to become physically a woman, and subsequently worked with her on a musical we both were in. Although she didn't want anyone to discuss the realities of what she had been through, she dropped hints to me indicating she did indeed want me to know who she really was. She was beautiful, self-confident and vibrant as a woman. I am friends with one of her brothers, who refers to her as his sister, and his kids call her aunt. She is admired for her costume-making ability and her cooking talents, and is currently married to her second husband,with whom she seems happy.

If anybody was ever unsuited to being a standard male, she was. She is a much better(and apparently more contented) woman, may I say, than she was as the young man I once knew.

quote:
Originally posted by Raspberry Rabbit:
[QB]Babybear wrote:

quote:
Then along comes genetics which says that there are males XY and females XX, but there are also 'in-betweeners' XXY XYY etc
I've certainly heard a lot of medical terms being used in this thread - giving me the impression that a majority of those living as trans-sexual, trans-gendered people have some demonstrable difference in their chromosomes from the rest of us who tend to be either XX or XY. Is this in fact the case?

People who have been 'told by the medical profession' that they are transgendered when 'in the midst of a depression' have been told this, I gather, by a psychiatrist based on something other than a study of their chromosomes?

No, TS is usually diagnosed in an absence of other intersex conditions ie. most TS men have XX chromosomes and appear phenotypically female before body rehabilitation. Similary with TS women. There is some evidence of a structural difference in the brain of TS persons ie. TS women have a XX woman number of neurons in a particular part of the brain that has a marked difference in other XX and XY people. There is a discussion of this in the RCs and transgender thread in Purgatory at the moment.

An interesting new development in Iran: "Iran comes to terms with idea of sex change."

quote:
... After decades of repression, Iran's Islamic government is recognising people with gender identity disorders and allowing them to have sex-change operations and obtain new birth certificates.

Before the Islamic revolution in 1979 there was no particular policy regarding transsexuals. Iranians with the inclination, means and connections could obtain the necessary medical treatment and new identity documents. However, the new religious government classed transsexuals and transvestites with gays and lesbians, who were condemned by Islam and faced a lashing.

But these days Iran's Muslim clerics, who dominate the judiciary, are considerably better informed about transsexuality. Some clerics now even recommend sex-change operations to those who are troubled about their gender. The issue was discussed at a conference in Tehran in June that drew officials from other Persian Gulf countries. ...

(Don't know how long this link will work...)

David

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

From a closed thread in Purgatory:
quote:
Originally posted by ACOL-ite:
OK, given that we have people on board that know about these kinds of things (by having studied them academically), I'd like to ask some questions that have always bothered me about the notion of "transgender". [Note: It possibly isn't my place to say this, but I thought I should just make a reminder that this is a public bulletin board and people should think long and hard before posting anything from personal experience. I think my questions are broad enough that we can have a useful discussion without that anyway]

To me the notion of being, eg. a "woman in a man's body" simply makes no sense. Not just in the sense of not being able to relate to it... there are elements to being gay or being a woman or being a Muslim or being a professinal athlete that I can't relate to (as I'm not any of the above). It raises a mind-body problem for me which I can't seem to resolve. What does it mean to "be a woman" if one has a man's body? Any notion which seeks to separate "being a woman" from "having a non-male body" to me seems entirely alien.

The root of my being male comes from my having, or even (temporarily) being a male body. My gender is not removable from that body (or atleast, I don't see how it could be).

Yet, I know that some people deeply and earnestly believe themselves to have (be?) some gender other than that of their body. In what sense is that gender theirs?

I am fully prepared to admit that "there are more things on Heaven and Earth...(etc)". Just because I can't resolve this mind-body problem doesn't mean a solution doesn't exist. We should try and learn from these people to better understand. But, fundamentally, I can't see how their claims have any meaning, yet alone validity, which makes me deeply worried by the whole movement.

So, what does it all mean?

quote:
Originally posted by Ophthalmos:
I hate to admit it, but I can see exactly where you're coming from. I have no real answers, so I'll shut up and let the people who do talk.

Posted by Henry Troup (# 3722) on :

Well, I certainly have a male self-image. But I can conceive that my self-image could be different from my actual body form, and that's the essence of the issue, isn't it?

(Both transgendered people that I know well enough to be familiar with their living arrangements are male-to-female transitions, and both are living with women.)

© Ship of Fools 2016