Thread: Hell: SpongeBob promotes homosexuality! Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000478

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

It appears that SpongeBob is spearheading an insidious campaign to spread homosexuality among children. Or so claims James Dobson founder of Focus on the Family. BBC News report. Why do such morons insist on reading sinister motives into harmless entertainment?

[ 29. April 2005, 22:00: Message edited by: Sarkycow ]

Posted by Panda (# 2951) on :

Presumably because they really do have nothing better to concentrate on.

I love this:
quote:
SpongeBob ... is seen as an icon for adult gay men in the US, apparently because he regularly holds hands with his sidekick Patrick.
No doubt that writes off Ernie and Bert too - my god, they live together!

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

My favourite part was
quote:
WAFF spokesman Mark Barondeso told the newspaper that anyone who thought the video promoted homosexuality "needs to visit their doctor and get their medication increased".
A more Ship-like response I can't imagine [Big Grin]

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Oh no! [Eek!]

When I minded Left At the Altar's children on Saturday night they forced me to watch a SpongeBob movie with them. Do you suppose I'm scarred for life?

(I thought the hand-holding was kind of cute.)

Huia

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

I saw this on the Today show this morning (which I only watch while running. It makes the exercise seem less painful by comparison.) I yelled at the screen, "The Video promotes tolerance of differences in general!! Not acceptance of homosexuality! Jesus might even have approved! You have a Bible, look it up!"

[ 21. January 2005, 12:59: Message edited by: Laura ]

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

Shades of Tinky-winky's handbag!

Posted by Henry Troup (# 3722) on :

Back in 1999, Jerry Falwell went on about Teletubbies in the same vein.

(cross-posted with Amos)

[ 21. January 2005, 13:10: Message edited by: Henry Troup ]

Posted by cocktailgirl (# 8684) on :

And even Noddy got censored a few years ago, because he slept in the same bed as Big Ears.

What sort of bizarre moral universe do these people inhabit that they see so-called sexual deviancy everywhere? They are well and truly obsessed. [Mad] [Mad]

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

Sleeping with Big Ears is deviant behaviour. You have to draw the line somewhere.

[ 21. January 2005, 13:21: Message edited by: Amos ]

Posted by Cheesy* (# 3330) on :

I hold hands and skip down the street (with my four year old). What does that make me? Or does it only apply to cartoon characters?

C

Posted by Off Centre View (# 4254) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
Sleeping with Big Ears is deviant behaviour. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Camilla Parker Bowles? [Snigger]

Posted by JohnBoot (# 3566) on :

quote:
SpongeBob ... is seen as an icon for adult gay men in the US, apparently because he regularly holds hands with his sidekick Patrick.
There's a thread in Mystery Worship on this same subject. Many posters fear that holding hands will promote homosexuality and - apparently - heterosexuality.

Posted by Qestia (# 717) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesy*:
I hold hands and skip down the street (with my four year old). What does that make me? Or does it only apply to cartoon characters?

C

Obviously, you must be a pedophile. Holding hands with children is definitely always sexual in nature. Next time I see a group of young school kids holding hands with their "buddies" I plan to tell them just how disgusting they are being. [Roll Eyes]

[ 21. January 2005, 14:23: Message edited by: Qestia ]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by JohnBoot:
quote:
There's a thread in Mystery Worship on this same subject. Many posters fear that holding hands will promote homosexuality and - apparently - heterosexuality.
Most relationships start with people talking to one another. That's where the problem starts! No more conversations! It leads to keeping each other company, playing together, holding hands, sharing meals and who knows something homosexual or heterosexual is bound to come out of it! People should be content to their own company for fear that they may meet anyone else.

Dobson and your paranoid ilk: attack evil that is truly evil, not that which is as much or more a sign of good as of evil. Because you are not comfortable holding hands with another man is no reason other men should not do that.

ps: and don't screw standing up. It only leads to dancing.

Posted by Spiffy da Wonder Sheep (# 5267) on :

I was informed yesterday that holding hands promotes cooties.

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

What about Morecambe and Wise, for crying our loud? [Eek!] To think I spent all these years never suspecting that they both might be Players of the Pink Oboe (as the late great Peter Cook would have had it)

Matt

Posted by Raspberry Rabbit (# 3080) on :

Every since SpongeBob was featured on Queer Eye for the Straight Cartoon Character he's been acting rather strangely.

RR

Posted by shareman (# 2871) on :

So that's why I've been finding myself attracted to square shaped yellow pock marked men! Now it's all clear! I refuse to walk a dog on a leash. I know I'd be promoting S&M bestiality.

[ 21. January 2005, 15:21: Message edited by: shareman ]

Posted by Righteous Rebel (# 7524) on :

While Dr. Dobson is not exactly what I'd call a loony, I do believe he has missed the boat on this one, just as Rev. Falwell missed on the Teletubbies. But, then again, I remember a time back in the '70s (I'm telling my age [Big Grin] ) when Falwell made a statement on national television that Billy Graham was going to hell because he had let his hair grow over the top of his shirt collar [Roll Eyes] . The problem with people in ministry who rise to national prominence all too often forget that God is the giver of wisdom, not imperfect human beings. Right-wing fundamentalists make me sick because they're so self-righteous and narrow in their views and they make me ashamed because, at one time, I was one of them. [Help]

Posted by Og: Thread Killer (# 3200) on :

Sponge bob must be Paul Martin's friend. [Biased]

CBC article

[ 21. January 2005, 16:13: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

quote:
quote:
Wtf? You mean the one about holding hands during the Lord's Prayer? [Confused]

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

The only reason Spongy don't look gay as a flamenco dancer's pink undies to me is because he dresses so horribly. He does remind me of certain high school friends... But they always dressed impeccably.

Posted by Mad Geo (# 2939) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Righteous Rebel:
While Dr. Dobson is not exactly what I'd call a loony...

And there you would be wrong, Dobson needs the little pink pills, oh wait, blue pills, oh wait, anyway, MEDICATION for his disease of fundeMENTALism.

Posted by Exiled Youth (# 8744) on :

men all over nepal hold hands all the time cos they're mates...possibly elsewhere, but i'm not as well travelled as i'd like to be.

I'd like to see Dr whatsisface try and tell them they're all gay. He'd be strung up in short order...

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
You mean the one about holding hands during the Lord's Prayer?

I was referring to the thread on holding hands during the Hail Mary.

Posted by nicolemrw (# 28) on :

arab men regularly hold hands when they walk together. or so i've heard.

Posted by Off Centre View (# 4254) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Exiled Youth:
men all over nepal hold hands all the time cos they're mates...possibly elsewhere, but i'm not as well travelled as i'd like to be.

I'd like to see Dr whatsisface try and tell them they're all gay. He'd be strung up in short order...

Wasn't there also video footage of President Dubya holding hands with various Saudi Arabian men, and his father also holding hands with hands with other such well-dressed men....

EDIT: As a previous post just commented on!

[ 21. January 2005, 17:50: Message edited by: Off Centre View ]

another story

from cnn, giving a bit more info. very, very silly.

Posted by MrSponge2U (# 3076) on :

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

But, but, all I wanted to do was to make people happy. And sing! [Disappointed]

I blame David Hasselhoff. I told the studio I didn't want him in my last movie, but do they ever listen to me? NO! Now my whole image is gotten shot to hell. [Biased]

What does a sponge have to do to prove himself a MAN to Mr. Dobson and his Fundamentalist friends? Or else I'll never get to show my face around Colorado Springs again. [Waterworks]

Why I know. I'll join the Power Team. Watch out Veggie Tales, here comes POWER SPONGE! [Razz]

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

quote:
quote:
Excuse me? Please point out where such a claim or belief was stated in that MW thread.

Well, I re-read the MW thread in order to pluck a good example, but the whole thread is so asstight that I would hate to showcase one puckeree above the other puckerees.

There seems to be a common philosophy that the posters' arid view of life and worship is the norm for humanity.

Posted by Grits (# 4169) on :

If SpongeBob is indeed an "icon for gay adult men in the U.S.", who's going to tell them? I'm relatively certain they are unaware of this, and I hate for them to miss out on an icon, even one of the square pants variety.

Memo to Mr. Dobson:

Stop embarassing your fellow Christians.

Regards.

Posted by Fool of a Took (# 7412) on :

quote:
Tolerance is a personal decision that comes from a belief that every person is a treasure. I believe that America's diversity is its strength. I also recognize that ignorance, insensitivity and bigotry can turn that diversity into a source of prejudice and discrimination.

To help keep diversity a wellspring of strength and make America a better place for all, I pledge to have respect for people whose abilities, beliefs, culture, race, sexual identity or other characteristics are different from my own.

Utterly scandalous, that is!
Respect! Surely you jest!
Anyone who makes this pledge is going straight to hell, you can bet on that! Except that betting will take you straight to hell, too. [brick wall]

Posted by Nutmeg (# 5297) on :

I have just discussed this with my 14 yo boy who rolled his eyes and said.

"When you are at school and go to the library the teachers tell you to hold hands with the person next to you" (the kids walk in two columns holding hands and the kids usually pair up in same sex pairs ).

My boy also said kids would not think of homosexuality becuase two inanimate same sex cartoon characters held hands (get real). He did concede that if spongebob kissed Patrick on the lips there would be suspicions.

He also thought there was a 'lot more' to weigh up when declaring yourself homosexual than the fact that two cartoon characters held hands.

Posted by kiwigoldfish (# 5512) on :

It is no accident that the first five letters of SpongeBob's name spell the name of a certain bishop.

Posted by Exiled Youth (# 8744) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Off Centre View:
quote:
Originally posted by Exiled Youth:

Wasn't there also video footage of President Dubya holding hands with various Saudi Arabian men, and his father also holding hands with hands with other such well-dressed men....

EDIT: As a previous post just commented on!

there's quite a famous photo of a french prez holding hands with his german counterpart at a big reconciliation ceremony, looking very serious indeed, which was hijacked by a gay tv channel with the byline "there's more to life than sex"

Wasn't too popular for some strange reason...

Posted by Go Anne Go (# 3519) on :

I love the way there is this concept out there that by "promoting" homosexuality, you're going to convert young people. As many have noted, there are all kinds of good icons out there for the gay youth of today, Spongebob and Patrick, (and wait, as we all know Spongebob is crazy for Sandy Squirrel and in the movie Patrick lost the power of speech every time the mermaid came on, so great was his lust. Oh, lust, now there's a sin, but they're not wibbling on about THAT now are they?) Bert and Ernie, Tinky Winky and his purse, Big Bird and Snuffy, Alvin and those damn chipmunks, Chip and Dale (apparently chipmunks are not just homos, they're promiscuous as well, the list goes on and on.

All this suffering in the world and they're worried about cartoon characters? Best to give them short shrift. OR a swift kick.

Posted by Grits (# 4169) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg:
He did concede that if spongebob kissed Patrick on the lips there would be suspicions.

Kids don't miss a trick, do they? [Big Grin]

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 3631) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
If SpongeBob is indeed an "icon for gay adult men in the U.S.", who's going to tell them?

Fortunately I have the ship to keep me up to date on these matters. Otherwise I would miss so much.

Tomorrow upon arising I shall commence to search for an icon of SpongeBob to replace the apparently oh-so-passe St. Xenia of Rome.

Posted by The Riv (# 3553) on :

quote:
Tomorrow upon arising...
Now, there's some witty text painting.

Posted by Mad Geo (# 2939) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
...Tomorrow upon arising I shall commence to search for an icon of SpongeBob to replace the apparently oh-so-passe St. Xenia of Rome.

Perhaps this?

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Geo:
quote:
...Tomorrow upon arising I shall commence to search for an icon of SpongeBob to replace the apparently oh-so-passe St. Xenia of Rome.

Perhaps this?
Gay icons of the Ship, please advise me. I wish, nay need to purchase one of these for my friend Graham. And yet, Graham is not gay, nor is he about to see the light. Is this an offense to the gay iconage? Or just a slap in the face to faith and the family?

quote:
Perhaps this?

Actually I think this would be more iconographic. Especially in a beaten-silver frame.

quote:
Originally posted by The Riv:
quote:
Tomorrow upon arising...
Now, there's some witty text painting.
One musn't dawdle or one might miss the next new thing. Who knows what might be all the rage by supper time?

Posted by Squirrel (# 3040) on :

Let's see...

BUGS BUNNY is definitely out. He sometimes kissed Elmer Fudd before doing things like handing him a bomb. So, not only was he gay, but also a sadiist.

THE PINK PANTHER. No comment.

PEANUTS. That Peppermint Patty is obviously a butch. Witness that girl Marcie who follows her around and always addresses her as "Sir." AND, what's worse, she seems to have a thing for Snoopy. Beastiality!!!

YOGI BEAR. He hybernates in the same bed as his pal Boo-Boo.

THE FLINTSTONES. Fred and Barney would embrace and sing "My bousom buddy and my life-long pal."

THE HONEYMOONERS. Both Ralph Cramdon and Ed Norton were childless. Ed at one point calls Ralph "The sweetest guy in the world." And what REALLY goes on at that Raccoon Lodge, presided over by the Grand High-Exalted Mystic Ruler? Obviously a reference to those satanic Freemasons!!

CASPER THE FRIENDLY GHOST. Obviously gay. And a sinister plot to get kids interested in the occult.

BATMAN. This single guy named Bruce lived with an unrelated teenager named Dick. They both wore tights and capes. And the Joker!!!

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

quote:
quote:
Perhaps this?

Actually I think this would be more iconographic. Especially in a beaten-silver frame.
You could even make him put out his tongue. Or be tongue in cheek.

The tongue seems to be a little low for that. Could make his nose grow like Pinocchio's though.

Posted by Foolhearty (# 6196) on :

And for Heaven's sakes, don't forget that evil satanic movie, The Lion King, in which dust swirls are said to have spelled out something nasty over the heads of the two young lover-lions.

Although I believe that was alleged to have been discovered by a three-year-old boy rather than someone like Dr. Dobson.

And oh yes, it only read out something nasty if one played the tape backwards.

Plots everywhere. What's a Christian™ to do?

quote:
Originally posted by Foolhearty:
What's a Christian™ to do?

Do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with your God?

Nah. How about minding everybody else's fucking business. Lot's more fun apparently.

(That was directed at James Dobson and his ilk, Foolhearty, not at you.)

Posted by Mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
BUGS BUNNY is definitely out. He sometimes kissed Elmer Fudd before doing things like handing him a bomb. So, not only was he gay, but also a sadiist.

Bugs Bunny MARRIED Elmer Fudd! Then dropped him off a ladder into a cake! Shivers!

Posted by Gort (# 6855) on :

quote:
One musn't dawdle or one might miss the next new thing. Who knows what might be all the rage by supper time?

What the hell is a "SpongeBob? I need to upgrade my cable account, apparently. Mustn't fall too far behind on the latest queer eye animated makeover.

quote:
(That was directed at James Dobson and his ilk, Foolhearty, not at you.)

Why, Sine, that's the sweetest thing anyone's said to me all day.

Sadly, His Namelessness makes a crucial point: in a tangible demonstration of this world's utter brokenness, James Dobson does indeed have an ilk.

Posted by Conte Oberto (# 9004) on :

quote:
Well, I re-read the MW thread in order to pluck a good example, but the whole thread is so asstight that I would hate to showcase one puckeree above the other puckerees.

There seems to be a common philosophy that the posters' arid view of life and worship is the norm for humanity.

Excuse me, JohnBoot, I'm new here. I am not trying to start a fight, however, I am not sure from your post if you are gay or gay-baiting but it looks like one or other. What do you mean by "asstight" and "puckerees", thank you.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

I bet Nickelodeon paid Dobson off. When that goofy Teletubby thing was going around, every Headliners* in San Francisco was pimping out little purple Oompa-Loompa rip-offs. There is no better way to ensure a cartoon character's immortality as a gay icon than to get Dobson or one of his camp to rail against it.

* Yuppie gift store

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Dobson or one of his camp

He is pretty campy isn't he?

Hey, wait a minute.....

quote:
Originally posted by Conte Oberto:
Excuse me, JohnBoot, I'm new here. I am not trying to start a fight, however, I am not sure from your post if you are gay or gay-baiting but it looks like one or other. What do you mean by "asstight" and "puckerees", thank you.

Don't worry Conte, just don't drop the soap when posting around Mr. Boot. That's just his way of weeding out the weak and illiterate.

Posted by HangarQueen (# 6914) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Conte Oberto:
quote:

Hello, Conte, let me have the honour of being the first to welcome you aboard the ship! Don't mind John Boot, he likes to think of himself as a bit of a wag (amusing fellow).

I just want to apologize for ever having listened to the "Focus on the Family" radio show, or purchased any of Dobson's books. Please forgive me.

I am willing to hear suggestions for a reasonable penance.

Posted by HangarQueen (# 6914) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
I just want to apologize for ever having listened to the "Focus on the Family" radio show, or purchased any of Dobson's books. Please forgive me.

I could send you the entire Sponge Bob collection overdubbed in Korean.

quote:
Originally posted by HangarQueen:
I could send you the entire Sponge Bob collection overdubbed in Korean.

Preferrably not penances that waste horrific amounts of time. I have things I need to do.

SpongeBob speaking Korean may be more enlightening than the rants that pass for discourse in these nether regions.

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
SpongeBob speaking Korean may be more enlightening than the rants that pass for discourse in these nether regions.

Is the irony on purpose or an unexpected sweet side-effect?

quote:
Preferrably not penances that waste horrific amounts of time. I have things I need to do.

You are hereby confined to a small room with a computer, where you will spend the rest of your life castigating complete strangers on a message board for making innocuous postings on a relatively unknown message board.

That's not my penance, that's my hobby.

[Killing me] Must think of something more deviant...will get back to you.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:

That is unkind and unfair to people who are auricularly challenged.

There was a bloke on the bus the other day sitting in front of me who had large ears that stuck out about an inch from his head. As the sun fell on them they sort of glowed in the light.

I'd never realized before what extraordinary things ears could be.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
As the sun fell on them they sort of glowed in the light.

I'd never realized before what extraordinary things ears could be.

They glow if you shine a flashlight (torch?) behind them too. I recall this gave me and my brother hours of childhood fun.

That and putting magnifying glasses over the top of ant hills on sunny days.

You get the same affect if you stick a mag-light up your nostril.

Perhaps Dobson has seen the Spongebob episode in which he and Patrick adopt a baby? Or the one with the quote "am I a pretty girl?"

The Spongebob thong is also available at a shop near you!

I think Dr. Dobson is just confused about a sponge that is a snappy dresser and hangs out with colorful friends. He needs to learn some more about the term "metrosexual". It will certainly add to his "hipness" cred with the young people. [Biased]

Seriously, I think the problem with people like Dr. Dobson and other people that are into the whole "culture war" mentality, is that they are so obsessed with the so-called "gay agenda" that they look for it in places where it doesn't exist. Things like this are an embarrassment to Christianity. [Frown]

quote:
That's not my penance, that's my hobby.

[Snigger] At least you have the grace to admit it...

(P.S. Points for being the first to pick up on "Camp." )

Posted by Lurker McLurker™ (# 1384) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
Memo to Mr. Dobson:

Stop embarassing your fellow Christians.

Regards.

Then again there's making a fool of oneself and telling blatant lies.

given the damage that man has done over the years, perhaps we're better off with him fixating on catoon charcters.

I wonder if we can get him to have a serial killer believing he'd avoid the death penalty if he went on TV and falsely blamed Spongebob for his crimes. That would be fun to see.

[ 22. January 2005, 16:51: Message edited by: Lurker McLurker™ ]

Posted by Swish (# 8566) on :

What is this world coming too? Only 10 years ago a Christian would know what was offensive, what was childish and what was silly! And even then, if it was offensive, they would probably realise that protesting would only make more people watch it. There were a few exceptions in the past (Life of Brian) but generally Christians (and other religions) kept their heads on.

Now, in a matter of months, there have been riots and protests against Spongue Bob, Jerry Springer and many others! It's not confined to Christianity either, as many adament theatre goers would agree. What has happened? Is it just that I've begun to realise it? Why doesn't everyone just cool it, read the bit in the Bible about love, fellowship and tollerance and just stop it? Ooh it makes me mad! [Mad]

(sourly) Would have worked for Dan White.

[That was in reference to Lurker's serial killer scenario.]

[ 22. January 2005, 17:27: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

quote:

Um, IIRC from the movie previews, Spongebob wears boxes.

I need advice from the Gay Icons of the Ship... Do I have to like Spongebob to retain my Gay Card? It's up for renewal this year, and I've tried to watch the show, but I just can't! It's too frelling creepy!

Oh, and JohnBoot: Fuck off and die, y'gormless twat.

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da Wonder Sheep:

Oh, and JohnBoot: Fuck off and die, y'gormless twat.

I do apologize; the requirement to type only in English has thrown me off my usual form.

You see, John, that's what you get for trying to be multi-cultural and inclusive. No appreciation.

Before I was halted in my tracks, I was poring over my paperback copy of Magyar for Dummies, and I found just the most perfect aphorism for this situation, but it loses so much when it's translated into English.

Sigh - I feel I have one smartass arm tied behind my back.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Swish:
What is this world coming too? Only 10 years ago a Christian would know what was offensive, what was childish and what was silly! And even then, if it was offensive, they would probably realise that protesting would only make more people watch it. There were a few exceptions in the past (Life of Brian) but generally Christians (and other religions) kept their heads on.

Not true. Plenty of Christians stupidly protested against "The Last Temptation of Christ."

Posted by Conte Oberto (# 9004) on :

quote:
Don't worry Conte, just don't drop the soap when posting around Mr. Boot.

OK, now I understand. He does seem pretty self-loathing if that's the case though.
Thank you for the welcome!

If you can understand all of Johnboot's posts without first cracking your skull with a piece of 4 by 2 then you should probably up your meds. If you agree with his posts then you should probably overdose on your meds.

I am proud to say I both understand and agree with most of Mr. Boot's posts. I know of no one on the ship better at puncturing pomposity or exposing hypocrisy. The Unrestful tend not to like it when it is pointed out that they too frequently fall into the whited sepulcher category.

I think the rage he inspires is a tribute to the truths he tells.

I dunno if I agree with everything he says, but I kinda get a boot out of him sometimes. A kick, I mean.

quote:

Or the fact that he's an fucking asshole who, when contested, slinks away into a hole until everything blows over, and never faces his accusers nor addresses their complaints.

Well, he certainly inspires controversy, doesn't he? That's a tribute of a sort. So Unrestful.

Sort of like one of those annoying Old Testament prophets.

quote:
Well, he certainly inspires controversy, doesn't he?

Disgust, maybe.

Gosh, what a dull world it would be if we all had the same opinions. Fortunately that's not likely to happen. It would make it difficult to get good odds on the trifecta.

quote:
Gosh, what a dull world it would be if we all had the same opinions. Fortunately that's not likely to happen. It would make it difficult to get good odds on the trifecta.

Opinion isn't the issue.

erm..what was the issue again? [Confused]

assholity

Oh, yeah! SpongeBob really takes the cake. Corrupting the youth of American and all...

I like the self-depricating irony, Gort.

quote:
assholity

...in your opinion. Not in mine.

Oops. I forgot. You've got more posts than I do. Never mind. You must be right.

quote:
...in your opinion.

I get it now!

Opinions=assholes=everyone's got one

Sometimes you guys are so cryptic it takes awhile.

[Snigger] Gort, you crack my shit up on a regular basis.

Posted by Sarkycow (# 1012) on :

quote:
Well, he certainly inspires controversy, doesn't he? That's a tribute of a sort. So Unrestful.

Sort of like one of those annoying Old Testament prophets.

Except they were speaking God's words.

Bootycall is just speaking his own.

Sarkycow

PS Sine, I didn't realise you were finding it so hard to pick up a date.

No, I was just trying to dispel my reputation as an asslicker who sucks up to the hosts and admins by Resolutely Taking An Unpopular Stand.

I don't think it worked though.

[But you're right. Nobody has PM'd me on the dating thread.]

[ 23. January 2005, 14:22: Message edited by: Sine Nomine ]

Posted by Tortuf (# 3784) on :

Well, I think you were resolute.

(Psst. Sine, do I have to read what you wrote before I post this?)

My posts are very short. Even you ought to be able to read them.

quote:
My posts are very short. Even you ought to be able to read them.

He ought to be able to, but he doesn't have to.

That's a, ummmm, prvivilege reserved for the hellhosts.

[Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Well, I think you were resolute.

Me, too.

I have never understood all the fuss, myself. Of all the irritating wiseasses around here--myself included, now that I think of it*--why is it Boots is elected the Great Satan of them All?

*just throwing that in before someone else did

[ 23. January 2005, 17:09: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

quote:
(sourly) Would have worked for Dan White.

[That was in reference to Lurker's serial killer scenario.]

I was talking about Ted Bundy, a particularly shameful part in Dobbin's career.

To cut a long story short- Bundy went on TV with Dobson, said he was once a good man and blamed porn for turning him into a serial killer.

Actually, he had had the standard fucked up serial killer past, complete with childhood animal torture, being beaten up by his grandad etc. And had never blamed porn (none of which was ever found when the police searched his house) until this interview.

It'll proabbly never be known what Dobson said he would do for Bundy in return for this, but I bet Ted didn't give that interview for fun.

Posted by Paige (# 2261) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lurker McLurker™:
Actually, he had had the standard fucked up serial killer past, complete with childhood animal torture, being beaten up by his grandad etc.

I have read that it was quite likely Bundy's grandfather was actually his biological father as well. That would add another layer of fucked-up-ness to his life, I should think....

quote:
It'll proabbly never be known what Dobson said he would do for Bundy in return for this, but I bet Ted didn't give that interview for fun.

i dunnow. it strikes me as something that he might very well think was as amusing as all hell.

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

quote:
I am proud to say I both understand and agree with most of Mr. Boot's posts. I know of no one on the ship better at puncturing pomposity or exposing hypocrisy. The Unrestful tend not to like it when it is pointed out that they too frequently fall into the whited sepulcher category.

Oh, I understand his posts, all right. I also understand that he's just a thoroughly unpleasant troll whose hobbies include derailing threads (like this one!) and launching vicious attacks on innocent people who have nothing to do with him.

Most of his "puncturings" and "exposures" are nothing more than nasty dismissals of any viewpoint that differs from his own idiosyncratic brand of narrowmindedness. As far as "whited sepulchres" go, he has about the highest putridity-to-whitewash ratio on the Ship.

He doesn't inspire rage, at least as far as I'm concerned. He inspires contempt. And the truth does not, I fear, appear to be in him.

Posted by Rex Monday (# 2569) on :

Spongebob Squarepants a gay icon? With a complexion like that? I don't think so.

R

quote:
I have never understood all the fuss, myself. Of all the irritating wiseasses around here--myself included, now that I think of it*--why is it Boots is elected the Great Satan of them All?

I feel so bad for attacking him so.

J'Adore pretentious smartarses.

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
Oh, I understand his posts, all right. I also understand that he's just a thoroughly unpleasant troll whose hobbies include derailing threads (like this one!) and launching vicious attacks on innocent people who have nothing to do with him.

Most of his "puncturings" and "exposures" are nothing more than nasty dismissals of any viewpoint that differs from his own idiosyncratic brand of narrowmindedness. As far as "whited sepulchres" go, he has about the highest putridity-to-whitewash ratio on the Ship.

He doesn't inspire rage, at least as far as I'm concerned. He inspires contempt. And the truth does not, I fear, appear to be in him.

Posts like this make it all worthwhile.

Did I upset Ms .Rossweisse to the extent that she forgot her usual Parthian insult?

quote:
Posts like this make it all worthwhile.

At least you can't claim that nobody understands you, Bootsie. And I'm sure you're enjoying all the attention -- clearly, you'd much rather be the object of much-deserved contempt than ignored.

So I'll get back to ignoring you.

quote:
At least you can't claim that nobody understands you, Bootsie. And I'm sure you're enjoying all the attention -- clearly, you'd much rather be the object of much-deserved contempt than ignored.

So I'll get back to ignoring you.

See? She gets it!

quote:
See? She gets it!

Oh, I think most of us here get it.

Rossweisse // so much for poor old Spongebob...

Ok, SPongebob...

was Spongebob the character that "married" one of his male friends in one episode? or am I cross-referencing another Dobson fixation?

Beats me. I am happy to say that my children have about outgrown the Annoying Animated Character Fixation stage.

Rossweisse // would that Mr. Dobson would do the same

// [Killing me]

Posted by Peppone (# 3855) on :

quote:
assholity

...and ivy
When they are both full grown...

Hey, I remember the words!

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

...out of all the freaks that are in the woods...

...James Dobson wears the crown.

Bravi tutti! [Overused]

quote:
Most of his "puncturings" and "exposures" are nothing more than nasty dismissals of any viewpoint that differs from his own idiosyncratic brand of narrowmindedness.

But Rossweisse, you do exactly the same thing. In spades. And without a sense of humor.

Must be a case of "If I spot it, I've got it."

quote:
... Must be a case of "If I spot it, I've got it."

Gazing into a mirror again, I see, Sine. Please stop projecting on me.

...so you don't think you dismiss any viewpoint that differs from your own idiosyncratic brand of narrowmindedness?

I've read too many of your posts on music, singing, liturgical style, Apostolic Succession, Mormons, woman priests, and Catholicism to believe otherwise.

You come across as a very humorless, pompous and opinionated woman who is extremely dismissive of other points of view.

...in my opinion.

quote:
...in my opinion.

And there was a time when I would have cared about your opinion. In fact, I took some of your criticisms seriously, and moderated my posting style.

But Terribly Witty and Frightfully Clever as you undoubtedly are, in recent months you've come across as little more than a petulant bully. You're mean for meanness's sake. You defend the mountain troll JohnBoot, apparently because it amuses you to defend someone who's even nastier -- in a more blunt-object fashion -- than you.

No, I don't roll over and play dead just because someone else tries to play bulldozer on issues that are important to me. But I don't go seeking out targets, either, and I don't deal in gratuitous obscenities.

Sorry, but your opinion has lost all pertinence.

Rossweisse // ...in my opinion

Where's that picture you overdressed, opinionated, backstabbing bastard?

quote:

Sorry, but your opinion has lost all pertinence.

Rossweisse // ...in my opinion

Sine, let me share some cross-cultural sharings.

The nuns were just like this!

Except, of course, they didn't have their cheeks clenched quite so tight.

Posted by Campbellite (# 1202) on :

John Boy

Concerning the nuns
Are you bragging or complaining?

....and another thread is successfully derailed by the BootTroll....

uh...in all fairness, I think he had a little help.

I get furious with myself that I allow Rossweisse to get my goat. I think she reminds me of my mother. I need therapy.

One day, with much professional help, I'll be able to read her posts and just smile sadly and sweetly at them, thinking "Bless her heart". Unfortunately that day is not yet here.

Good night.

quote:
uh...in all fairness, I think he had a little help.

Oh, absolutely. Sine was having a lovely time stirring the pot, I got tired of being kicked by the two of them, and several other people contributed to the derailing as well.

But give credit where it's due: it wouldn't have happened without Bootsie.

quote:
I get furious with myself that I allow Rossweisse to get my goat. ...

Oh, put a cork in it, Sine. (Bless your heart.)

Rossweisse // enough, already

Posted by Leetle Masha (# 8209) on :

O the rising of the fun,
And the swilling of the beer,
The playing of the telly vision
Speculating on the queer....

By George, I think she's got it too!

Who is James Dobson, though?

Dammit Ross..I was looking forward to an evening of witty banter and now all I've got it Johnny Carson eulogies.

No one is forcing you to wade through Johnny Carson eulogies, Gort. (Surely even SpongeBob is more worth watching? If not, try the PowerPuff Girls.)

Why don't you just pucker up and go crack some knuckles with that ruler?

Waiter! Waiter! Check please! Hurry!

That's what I get for trying to banter with Gort AND get the damned thread back on topic...

Sheesh.

quote:
Oh, absolutely. Sine was having a lovely time stirring the pot, I got tired of being kicked by the two of them, and several other people contributed to the derailing as well.

Was Ms .Rossweisse's name mentioned on this thread before she (so graciously) showed up?

"Hurry up, please, it's time!
"Hurry up, please, it's time. . . ."

I said witty banter...and you're beginning to look suspiciously like cardboard.

[ 24. January 2005, 02:49: Message edited by: Gort ]

Sheesh, I'm the one on here once tried to be a nun, and they didn't even give me a ruler....

Come over here Gort so I can thrash you with me rosary beads.

You love it! [Big Grin]

quote:
I said witty banter...and you're beginning to look suspiciously like cardboard.

Cardboard?
[Confused]

Whatever, Gort.

[Killing me] Just messin' with ya Ross..nevermind!

Aluminium cuts cardboard, Gort. [Disappointed]

WAAAAAIIIITERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Poor SpongeBob....he never had a chance!

Nice timing on the sig change Ross!! [Big Grin]

I was tired of it anyway.
[Razz]

But I'll change it back if you'd like.

quote:

That's the problem with beign a gay icon. Are any of them big strong "don't mess with me" types? We need to recruit Charles Bronson or Dirty "make my day, punk" Harry to the ranks of gay icons. Then they may have a chance.

Sigh. And here, all this time, my first impression of Spongebob Squarepants was that he was a device to encourage children to take baths.... Or to scrub floors....

quote:
quote:

No, no, you misunderstand - a thong with Spongebob on it, not a thong such as Spongebob would wear. Although I'm intrigued to hear that he has switched to boxers - in the episodes, it's y-fronts all the way!

DJ

(why in the name of all that's Holy do I know this stuff???)

quote:
Originally posted by Leetle Masha:
Sigh. And here, all this time, my first impression of Spongebob Squarepants was that he was a device to encourage children to take baths.... Or to scrub floors....

I am strongly in favor of encouraging children in both endeavors.

quote:
No, no, you misunderstand - a thong with Spongebob on it, not a thong such as Spongebob would wear.

But I think there is a question of philosophical purity at hand here. If Spongebob wears boxers, then does it not fly in the face of all he stands for to manufacture Spongebob thongs? Does that not constitute a mockery of his Boxer-wearing stance?

I'm gonna get my nephew's opinion on this; he will set you all straight.

[ 24. January 2005, 16:09: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

John Boot, Sine and Rossweisse: the way you all wind each other up and send threads cantering off down paths dark and thorny is starting to tire me immensely. It unfolds so predictably. And further, Sine, the fact that the confessed troll John Boot should amuse you at all I find deeply worrying. He is one of the most disruptive influences we have had on the board, and specializes in constant skating just so close to the edge but no further that he is a constant irritant. I have no idea why he does this.

Anyway. Have a nice day. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

That's the problem with beign a gay icon. Are any of them big strong "don't mess with me" types? We need to recruit Charles Bronson or Dirty "make my day, punk" Harry to the ranks of gay icons. Then they may have a chance.
Whatever happened to the days of Big Hollywood epics like Spartacus and Ben Hur? When gay men lusted after muscular swordfighters, not members of boy bands and stuff?

Posted by cocktailgirl (# 8684) on :

quote:

I'm gonna get my nephew's opinion on this; he will set you all straight.

Good. Thus undoing all the harm SpongeBob has done.

(t-5 seconds)

(4)

(3)

(2)

(joke premise identified)

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

(ok, sometimes it takes me a while...)

quote:
quote:

No, no, you misunderstand - a thong with Spongebob on it, not a thong such as Spongebob would wear. Although I'm intrigued to hear that he has switched to boxers - in the episodes, it's y-fronts all the way!

You try to make obscure jokes based on shows you've never seen, and they blow up in your face.

Key word in original quote: boxes.

(in the movie previews, Sr. Bob folded his cardboard knickers into shape. Then tab A fell out of tab b and everyone was mooned by a neon yellow sponge. Is my raving making sense now?)

quote:
Sine, the fact that the confessed troll John Boot should amuse you at all I find deeply worrying.

Dear Lady Marchmain,

I am sorry I have disappointed you and shall no longer associate with that wicked Anthony Blanche.

Sincerely,
Charles Ryder

quote:
quote:
quote:

You try to make obscure jokes based on shows you've never seen, and they blow up in your face.

(in the movie previews, Sr. Bob folded his cardboard knickers into shape. Then tab A fell out of tab b and everyone was mooned by a neon yellow sponge. Is my raving making sense now?)

Yep, jokes are really unfunny when they are explained.

quote:

oops... sorry! just read it as boxers and havn't seen that preview (perhaps not to be seen in Blighty). Rest assured the raving now makes perfect sense! [Cool]

quote:

Dear Lady Marchmain,

I am sorry I have disappointed you and shall no longer associate with that wicked Anthony Blanche.

Sincerely,
Charles Ryder

Antoine. Please, it's Antoine.

Antoine and Charles:

You gentlemen clearly need to get a room. [Disappointed]

Posted by QuakerCub (# 4728) on :

Mr. Dobson is guilty of a far greater sin than has been mentioned so far. By focusing our attention on SpongeBob, he has blinded us to the true evil.

How often, Shipmates, have we been walking down the aisle at our local grocery store (the snack section specifically) and come across the leering face of the true "Gay Icon?" I speak of Orville Reddenbacher!!! What better way to corrupt children and lead them into the gay lifestyle than to offer them the tasty treat that they have learned to love at their favorite nickelodeon emporium (Dobson still calls them that!) It is insidious and it is happening right in front of our very noses! A campaign must be organized to remove him from our children's sight

Orville died 10 years ago.

Is he an icon in the orthodox gay tradition then?

Posted by nickel (# 8363) on :

I usually don't wear cartoon characters to Church, but this merits an exception.

Sorry, who is this guy???

He was a popcorn mogul. No, seriously, he was.

Was he gay? Never knew that.

i thought orville redenbacher had kids who continued the business? i might be wrong about that, and even if i'm right, it doesn't prove he wasn't gay, but somewhat lessens the probability...

ah, here we go:

quote:
Orville Redenbacher's death came as a shock to his family. Although 88, he was in good health. Just before his death, he was planning a trip to Yosemite National Park with his family. He is survived by daughters Billie Ann Atwood and Gail Tuminello, 12 grandchildren, and ten great-grandchildren. Two wives, Corinne and Nina, preceded him in death. "He's in heaven now so he can go wherever he wants," said Atwood. During his lifetime, Redenbacher reportedly ate popcorn several times a week, following in the footsteps of his father, who ate it every night. Though most people now microwave their popcorn, Redenbacher once admitted his favorite way to make popcorn was the old-fashioned way--a little bit of oil and popcorn, popped in a pan atop a stove until it nearly popped the lid off.

Posted by fionn (# 8534) on :

For good gay icons why not Randolph Scott? Seems much more in the Marlboro Man lineage.

Posted by lapsed heathen (# 4403) on :

Lurker McLurker;
quote:
Whatever happened to the days of Big Hollywood epics like Spartacus and Ben Hur? When gay men lusted after muscular swordfighters, not members of boy bands and stuff?
This

Posted by The Wanderer (# 182) on :

Actually I think Dobson may be right. After all, surely:
quote:
suggests both bars of soap, and the act of bending over to pick them up. And we all know how dangerous that can be, don't we?

*nicole reaches through the internet and swats the wanderer on the wrist*

naughty boy! [Killing me]

This is where soap-on-a-rope comes in handy. [Biased]

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

Bugs Bunny in a dress kissing and marrying Elmer Fudd promoted homosexuality about as well as Milton "Uncle Milty" Berle in drag did.

Maybe the modern cartoon types promote it more efficiently, more like Queer Eye guys.

Someone needs to do a study on adult homosexuals who consider that their TV icons in their younger years gave them the warm fuzzies.

Let us not forget Bruce Wayne and his "youthful ward," Dick Grayson!!! Not only homosexuality but NAMBLA!!!! Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by QuakerCub:
Let us not forget Bruce Wayne and his "youthful ward," Dick Grayson!!! Not only homosexuality but NAMBLA!!!! Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Dick Grayson was of age. Could be wrong, though.

Posted by nomadicgrl (# 7623) on :

Ironically enough today's reading of Madeleine L'Engle is where she talks about her book A Wrinkle in Time and C.S. Lewis's Narnia series being on a list of books that "should be banned" for pornographic content. So good ol'Sponge boy is in excellent company.

Posted by anglicanrascal (# 3412) on :

quote:
Originally posted by nomadicgrl:
Ironically enough today's reading of Madeleine L'Engle is where she talks about her book A Wrinkle in Time and C.S. Lewis's Narnia series being on a list of books that "should be banned" for pornographic content.

[Eek!] Narnia? OMG - where was the pornography in there?

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Yeah, I know about "Wrinkle" being banned--some idjits thought that tessering was sex! But don't think I ever heard about the Narnia books.

Posted by nomadicgrl (# 7623) on :

quote:
Originally posted by anglicanrascal:
quote:
Ironically enough today's reading of Madeleine L'Engle is where she talks about her book A Wrinkle in Time and C.S. Lewis's Narnia series being on a list of books that "should be banned" for pornographic content.

[Eek!] Narnia? OMG - where was the pornography in there?
Yeah, L'Engle seemed pretty baffled by it too, noted it might increase sales of her and Lewis' books among teenagers. Which she felt was a sad comentary -not on the teenagers, but about the world as presented to them by adults. That once you start looking for pornography you can find it under any bush (or in any wardrobe as it were......perhaps a the "pornography" is a freudian take on pushing through the fur coats to enter the magical land?)

(edited to clarify thought)

[ 27. January 2005, 07:31: Message edited by: nomadicgrl ]

Posted by Light (# 4693) on :

quote:
the "pornography" is a freudian take on pushing through the fur coats to enter the magical land?)

Argh! Thank you so much for that image!
Washes inner eye with acid

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

And comes across a faun. We all know what they get up to on ancient Greek vases.

A faun that entices young girls back to his den.

And then her brother is drugged and seduced by a frigid older woman.

And the next thing is that they all put on fur coats, go through the hole, and meet the beavers :eek@.

Just say the word "furry" to ChastMastr of this parish, and vow never to log on to any of the relevant websites he then finds for you.

quote:
quote:

Not at the beginning of the series he wasn't.

Posted by Gambit (# 766) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
And comes across a faun. We all know what they get up to on ancient Greek vases.

And the next thing is that they all put on fur coats, go through the hole, and meet the beavers :eek@.

Just say the word "furry" to ChastMastr of this parish, and vow never to log on to any of the relevant websites he then finds for you.

You, my friend, are a sick, sick man (and let's face it, I should know, being of a certain sickness myself)!

[Edited to clarify self-deprecating point ]

[ 27. January 2005, 15:31: Message edited by: Gambit ]

quote:

That is like saying "Candyman" five times in a mirror, you know that, don't you?

(And anyway, it seems to me that kything(In the L'Engle books) would be a better sexual metaphore than tessering)

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

You know, there is more to the furry fandom than one sees on CSI or MTV. *sigh*

Sieg // I've been accused of being a SMOFF

Posted by Revelle (# 8554) on :

quote:

[Killing me]

Good God, haven't had a laugh like that in a week...

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:

[Big Grin] I know, I know... have you seen cobalt lately? Tell him to drop his cousin a line...

[ 28. January 2005, 01:26: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by Zeke (# 3271) on :

quote:

I was always told that those were satyrs. Are these just two words for the same thing--er--creature? They sure do look alike.

Well, someone has some sanity.

The United Church of Christ has issued a welcome to SpongeBob and all similarly beleagured cartoon folk.

Check out SB's photo diary--it's like Sven's old diary!

[Overused] [Killing me]

The Gay Plot™ to seduce our youth continues! The scheduled PBS animated show featuring Buster the Bunny has been condemned by the new US Secretary of Education for featuring the immoral rabbit visiting lesbians on a Vermont maple syrup farm! PBS has bowed to Fed pressure and has pulled the episode called "Sugertime!"

CNN Report

Posted by auntbeast (# 377) on :

Posted by Kelly Alves
quote:
(And anyway, it seems to me that kything(In the L'Engle books) would be a better sexual metaphore than tessering)

Oh I don't know... walk in the moonlit woods... teenage boy (oops my cougar tendancies are showing).. suddenly transported to another dimension..."And this feeling of moving with the earth was somewhat like the feeling of being in the ocean, out in the ocean beyond the rising and falling of the breakers, lying on the moving water, pulsing with the swells, and feeling the gentle inexorable tug of the moon. I am asleep. I am dreaming..... Light began to pulse and quiver" (Wrinkle in Time Chapter 4)

Better written than a lot of the erotica I have read. I always saw kything as something closer to Heinlein's grok.. rather more esoteric.

It's all in what the imagination can come up with and we know that Dobson and Co. have vivid imaginations!

Vive le Spongebob!

All good things,
Auntbeast

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

The United Church of Christ has issued a welcome to SpongeBob and all similarly beleagured cartoon folk.

Spongebob has always struck me as more of a Charismatic, though. He might get in trouble with the church by jumping up and shouting "Hallelujah!" at inappropriate moments during the service. [Biased]

Posted by Benedictus (# 1215) on :

quote:
The Gay Plot™ to seduce our youth continues! The scheduled PBS animated show featuring Buster the Bunny has been condemned by the new US Secretary of Education for featuring the immoral rabbit visiting lesbians on a Vermont maple syrup farm! PBS has bowed to Fed pressure and has pulled the episode called "Sugertime!"

CNN Report

Well, now, that's just damned embarrassing.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
quote:

I was always told that those were satyrs. Are these just two words for the same thing--er--creature? They sure do look alike.
Technically a faun is an Italian nature spirit, a satyr a Greek mythical creature that runs around rogering whatever it can tget tis willy on.

But as the Italian god Faunus (boss of all the woodland animals) got assocaited with the Greek Pan (a lot more serious doo-doos) so did fauns become assimilated iconographically to satyrs - human upper body, goat's legs and hooves, giant phalluses, little horns in their dinky curly hair.

I had a couple of rather rudely illustrated books about this sort of thing, one based loosely around a feminist view of the Mutliation of the Herms in 415 BC. But I lent it to a classics student who then died, so it seemed inappropriate to ask for it back.

quote:
Originally posted by Benedictus:
quote:

CNN Report

Hmmmm....that show, IIRC, is produced in Canada, although funded out of the US.

TVO will probably show it locally and kids will not notice the lesbian couples.

Arthur, the precursor to this Buster thingie...has shown a number of different family arrangements, including divorced parents (Buster), apartment dwellers (unusual in TV), and a grandparent with custody.

Posted by The Bede's American Successor (# 5042) on :

quote:
Mr. Dobson is guilty of a far greater sin than has been mentioned so far. By focusing our attention on SpongeBob, he has blinded us to the true evil.

How often, Shipmates, have we been walking down the aisle at our local grocery store (the snack section specifically) and come across the leering face of the true "Gay Icon?" I speak of Orville Reddenbacher!!! What better way to corrupt children and lead them into the gay lifestyle than to offer them the tasty treat that they have learned to love at their favorite nickelodeon emporium (Dobson still calls them that!) It is insidious and it is happening right in front of our very noses! A campaign must be organized to remove him from our children's sight

Speak for yourself. The bow tie on Reddenbacher was misleading. There are a few straight men that wear them.

You want a Gay Icon in your supermarket?

Mr. Clean.

After all, Mr. Clean had an earring long before Eminmen made it possible for all men that were unsure of their sexuality but needed to act tough to wear one.

quote:
Originally posted by Benedictus:
quote:

CNN Report

A serious commentary: Tolerance is a casualty of anti-gay crusade

[ 28. January 2005, 15:51: Message edited by: The Bede's American Successor ]

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

Excellent article, Bede.

Hobson and his ilk remind me of the anti-communist frenzy of the 1950s --- people looking for "a commie under every bed." It seems they have not only invented an enemy to keep their "pro-family" business in business, but that they have to keep finding new evidence of the enemy, just to keep the cycle going.

My apologies for the lack of seriousness in the tone of my post, Bede. This subject absolutely blows my gaskets. I understand that the Fed funding of PBS programs such as this puts the managers in subordinate position, but this mindless nonsense seems to be growing in our country and it frustrates the hell out of me.

quote:
My apologies for the lack of seriousness in the tone of my post, Bede. This subject absolutely blows my gaskets. I understand that the Fed funding of PBS programs such as this puts the managers in subordinate position, but this mindless nonsense seems to be growing in our country and it frustrates the hell out of me.

What's to apologize for?

David Horsey should apologize for what he is doing to his son.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

quote:
But I lent [a book] to a classics student who then died, so it seemed inappropriate to ask for it back.
Ken, I read this as "I FED it to a classics student...." [Killing me]

Sorry, I'm easily amused.

quote:

CNN Report

What's interesting is that I think Postcards from Buster is one of the best new kids' shows on PBS and is superior to the show that spun it off. A few weeks ago I saw an episode set in Lebanon or Jordan (I missed some of the show, obviously) where Buster was visiting people who were Lebanese Antiochan Christians and a baptism with service was one of the things Buster took part in. For those who don't know the gimmick, Buster is travelling around the world with his pilot dad and takes his camera to record what he sees. It's in part animated, but what Buster sees through his camera is live. They did a huge chunk of the service and Buster interviewing the priest, who explained why they baptised babies and why they had altar boys etcetera. God was ACTUALLY MENTIONED and in fact discussed a bit. It was not commented on except by Buster saying, "interesting" or asking more questions. I was totally blown away by how unedited it was. I give this show two thumbs up. Well I would. you know.

[fingers tangled]

[ 28. January 2005, 23:02: Message edited by: Laura ]

I'm very sorry and disappointed with PBS for yanking the bunny show. From what I've read it sounds like it was in good taste, and they have a mandate to foster acceptance of diversity. Whatever one's religious views, children with any given parental set-up are still children, and still worthy of having their existence and way of life acknowledged.

I just don't understand the point of view that says "if we portray normal homosexual people as normal people, our children will be tempted to become homosexuals themselves." But maybe that's ex-hippus territory.

quote:
I just don't understand the point of view that says "if we portray normal homosexual people as normal people, our children will be tempted to become homosexuals themselves."

As best I can tell homosexuality is simultaneously extremely disgusting and terribly enticing. And very, very contagious. Much like tuberculosis you can catch it from just being in the same room as a carrier. Or even watching one on TV.

It's one of the greatest public health threats we face today.

...which is puzzling since I have a very attractive friend of the straight persuasion. I try to be in his presence as much as possible but he still hasn't succumbed. He must have natural anti-bodies to my body.

Posted by MarkthePunk (# 683) on :

quote:
...which is puzzling since I have a very attractive friend of the straight persuasion. I try to be in his presence as much as possible but he still hasn't succumbed. He must have natural anti-bodies to my body.

Try watching SpongBob with him.

quote:
Originally posted by MarkthePunk:
quote:

Try watching SpongBob with him.
Sine, maybe using SpongeBob with him in the shower would help.

(And Mark, it is SpongeBob, not SpongBob. You may have fantasies about the retired Bishop of Newark, but try to control yourself in public.)

Oh dear, that was an embarrassing typo. [Hot and Hormonal]

If I am to be converted to the homosexual lifestyle, then let it be with images of someone I admire, not of a sea-dwelling sponge. Alas, it seems that is not to be.

Yours,
Robo-curious.

quote:
Originally posted by MarkthePunk:
Oh dear, that was an embarrassing typo. [Hot and Hormonal]

Oh, don't worry. We understand.

(I seem to be catching these interesting typos lately. Last Saturday, when +Nedi was consecrated the first Bishop Suffragan in our diocese, I caught a very interesting error on her Consecration Certificate after all 20 +/- bishops had signed and sealed it. Her certificate says "Bishop Coadjutor," not "Bishop Suffragan." When I pointed it out to the Diocesan Communication Guru, he was quick to point out that this is what was sent from the home office in New York.)

quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
...I caught a very interesting error on her Consecration Certificate after all 20 +/- bishops had signed and sealed it. Her certificate says "Bishop Coadjutor," not "Bishop Suffragan." ...

I wonder what the legal types would say about that one...

sine, a friend of mine holds out that the only difference between a straight man and a bi man is a 6-pack of beer. have you tried that? [Razz] [Big Grin]

A six pack of beer while watching SpongeBob SquarePants and . . . well, I don't want to think of such things.

I heard something about the offending Buster episode on the radio this morning, and the person mentioning commented that it mainly consisted of seeing two women in a kitchen together. Makes you really worry about those church suppers, doesn't it? Of course I didn't see the evil abomination myself.

Double-posted to add: Why is it that other people's lives have so much style? I don't think mine has all that much. That's about all you hear about these days, it seems sometimes, other people whose lives have all this "style." Goes with being exceptionally fashion-conscious, I suppose. [Biased]

quote:
Why is it that other people's lives have so much style?

One of my very favoritest books is Quentin Crisp's "How to have a Lifestyle". Too funny.

But then of course he is the one who is reputed to have answered a U.S. Customs agent who asked if he was a practising homosexual, "No, I am perfect."

..and yes, nicole, I think that is frequently the case, which may be why said friend has never had more than two beers in my presence.

quote:
Alas, it seems that is not to be.

Actually I emailed Grits some pix last week. I hope you've got that crisp twenty all ready to mail.

HA! [Overused]

quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
[Speak for yourself. The bow tie on Reddenbacher was misleading. There are a few straight men that wear them.

Interestingly, I know a child psychiatrist who wears them all the time. Not because he is gay, but rather because if the children become disruptive and pull on it, unlike a long tie, which chokes you, the bow tie simply becomes undone.

.. the only people I know who wear bow ties are straight men.

Usually kind of nerdy straight men

Case in point, Senator Paul Simon.

quote:
..and yes, nicole, I think that is frequently the case, which may be why said friend has never had more than two beers in my presence.

Buy double strength beer, and then you'll only have to figure out how to get one more into him.

Of course he's a church musician so he's probably lying anyway.

...oh, sorry Riv.

[ 29. January 2005, 22:12: Message edited by: Sine Nomine ]

Or else he's awfully lonely.

Here is Delusions of grandeur at "Focus on the Family" by Keith Olbermann of MSNBC. It seems that the Dobson groupies have been spamming him. This is his response.

Keith Olbermann is my new hero [Overused]

I just e-mailed Keith Olbermann because of that article, and for thoroughness I cc:ed Focus on the Family on that e-mail.

In short: I have a new and profound respect for Keith Olbermann, and less and less respect for Focus on the Family (if indeed I ever did.)

I also just came from listening to Jim Wallis speak. He had his own tale to tell about Focus on the Family. He sat in a room with the heads of them for hours and hours and finally got them to admit that really and truly gays were NOT responsible for the breakdown in the heterosexual family. According to him, they did indeed admit this. Of course their next line was:
"But we can't speak on behalf of our fundraising department."
Tells you just what you need to know.

What a delightful man. Go, Keith Olbermann! Does he have a fan club?

This is the web, there's ALWAYS a fan club.

No official club membership, but I have been a fan of his for quite a long time.

Posted by Revelle (# 8554) on :

Excellent article by Keith. My parents used to be subscribed to Focus on the Family magazines, which we have thankfully de-subscribed from. Mr. Dobson needs to check over what he's done, and maybe, just maybe, he should apologize for this blaring mistake.

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg:
My boy also said kids would not think of homosexuality becuase two inanimate same sex cartoon characters held hands (get real). He did concede that if spongebob kissed Patrick on the lips there would be suspicions.

Do they have lips?

David
lives in a pineapple under the sea

quote:

Having suffered through them is penance enough.

It could be worse. It could be "Talk Back with Bob Larson." [Ultra confused]

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:

We've got that guy from the Village People...

quote:
Originally posted by Lurker McLurker™:

[Hot and Hormonal] Er...

[Hot and Hormonal]

What David is not saying is that he spent an inordinate amount of time this very day downloading Steve Reeves screen-caps, without ever having read this post. Synchronicity lives

quote:

Not when he debuted in 1939; he is now (and called Nightwing), but the present Robin (#3 in the series, Tim Drake) is underage.

Interestingly, one of the first "Wow! Comics have changed" moments for some people back in the 1980s was when Dick Grayson was shown in bed with his alien girlfriend Starfire in The New Teen Titans.

quote:

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:

YES. And I'm not even a member of furry fandom per se.* Though I did once have a character on a certain MUCK... (Several of them, actually, and they were all -- mutants, angels, cosmic entities, purple rhinoceri, etc. -- involved in melodramatic TinyPlots.)

* I see it more as a character type than a genre per se.

David
never actually cared for Spongebob but now is ever more keenly interested in it, so he may entice the cub to watch more of it than the one episode he's gotten him to sit through

Posted by w_houle (# 9045) on :

I rewrote this several times and lets try this
1. sponebob is gay, on so many different levels, but this has nothing to do with sexuality or being happy.
2. spongebob is a homo so what. Does anyone think their childen will take the (change their) sexuality to that of a cartoon housecleaning product?
3. some of the allure of homosexuality is it being taboo, the forbidden fruit. People who engage in homosexual acts feel as though they are getting away with something and usually do not seek affirmation through some lame a** cartoon. Anyone who does needs friends and therapy.
4. Spongebob is a childs cartoon. Children cannot pickup on the sexual subtext of a sponge let alone that since a sponge and a starfish hold hands that maybe little Tommy and little Jonny should try kissing.

quote:
Originally posted by w_houle:
3. some of the allure of homosexuality is it being taboo, the forbidden fruit.

...a particularly unfortunate turn of phrase.
quote:
People who engage in homosexual acts feel as though they are getting away with something
[Killing me]

I need to go lie down now.

Posted by 3M Matt (# 1675) on :

Spongebob is far FAR too inane, pathetic, juvinile and uninteresting to have a subtext.

It's not a proper grown up programme like "The Simpsons".

If you want gay subtext in innocent cartoons, "Sharks Tale" is great.

Finally, a sensible voice...

And, from Matt of all people. Not usually the first to express sanity (which I guess is why he called himself the mad medic).

quote:
Originally posted by 3M Matt:
If you want gay subtext in innocent cartoons, "Sharks Tale" is great.

Because of Ellen as Dorie? [Confused]

I don't think Bruce was modeled on Exodus; I think it's more AA.

Oh.

That's Finding Nemo, isn't it?

Dang. Shark's Tale is out of the theatres, isn't it? I wanted to see it... [Hot and Hormonal]

This week's Time Magazine cover article on the 25 most influential evangelicals in America mentions Dobson. It doesn't mention the whole Spongebob fiasco. (Who I think the whole homosexuality thing is actually a cover against miscenegenation. What with Bob being a sponge (and yellow) and Patrick being a starfish (and pink). That's the real reason FoF doesn't mention Bob's crush on Sandy Squirrel.)

The article does however quote the White House on how it doesn't consider him particualrly influential, and not as influential as Dobson thinks he is.

I loved Ellen Degeneres in Finding Nemo. Superb voice acting. Delightful caricature. I don't see how her "sexual preferences" have anything to do with that.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Yawn. If you want gay subtext, go and watch X-Men 2. "Have you tried ... not being a mutant?" Cracks me up.

It's an odd thing, this debate re: Spongebob et al -- I have heaps of gay friends, and I've never once wanted to engage in sex with another woman, not have really even given it much thought. It can't be that catching. [Big Grin] And of course, if sexuality were dependent upon being shown a certain lifestyle depicted in a positive light, then most gays would be straight. They're certainly saturated enough with straight imagery.

Posted by Pob (# 8009) on :

quote:
I loved Ellen Degeneres in Finding Nemo. Superb voice acting. Delightful caricature. I don't see how her "sexual preferences" have anything to do with that.

That would explain why, since seeing that movie, I keep wanting to have sex with a woman.

But can't remember how.

quote:
Originally posted by Go Anne Go:
...The article does however quote the White House on how it doesn't consider him particualrly influential, and not as influential as Dobson thinks he is.

Or his marketing department makes him out to be. [Mad]

Posted by Rangatira (# 8232) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesy*:
I hold hands and skip down the street (with my four year old). What does that make me?

A pedophile, o'course.What a stupid question to ask [Two face]

This whole thing makes me wonder. These loonies sincerely believe sexual orientation is all about "lifestyle choice."

Do you suppose James Dobson has sat down at some point, reflected deeply on his own sexuality, and come to the earthshattering realization that, after years of heterosexual marriage, he is deeply and profoundly and insatiably attracted to starfish?

The poor guy. Let's start a fund to send him to Boston, where the Aquarium has a Tidal Petting Zoo.

A starfish there once curled quite cozily around my finger. [Ultra confused] [Eek!] [Paranoid]

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

Hmmmm. James Dobson as an aquarium exhibit...

Yeah. I like it!

Posted by Ham'n'Eggs (# 629) on :

[Overused]

ChastMastr, for 6 consecutive posts on page 5 - and no redundant apology!

Is this a Ship record?

Posted by Benedictus (# 1215) on :

We used to get phone calls several times a year from the Focus on the Family people. I finally told them if they had a movie showing a gay couple being treated with courtesy and respect by everybody else in the neighborhood to call me, because that would certainly reflect positive family values. Funny, I haven't heard from them since.

quote:
[...] It's an odd thing, this debate re: Spongebob et al -- I have heaps of gay friends, and I've never once wanted to engage in sex with another woman, not have really even given it much thought.

Sorry, Laura...but your gay women friends must not be very attractive! [Snigger]

quote:
[...] A starfish there once curled quite cozily around my finger. [Ultra confused] [Eek!] [Paranoid]

Oh.My.Gawd!

The depths of your depravity have obviously never been fully plumbed, my dear! [Snigger]

quote:
quote:
[...] It's an odd thing, this debate re: Spongebob et al -- I have heaps of gay friends, and I've never once wanted to engage in sex with another woman, not have really even given it much thought.

Sorry, Laura...but your gay women friends must not be very attractive! [Snigger]
CLANNNGGG.

(In case y'all are wondering, that is the sound of a robot getting sent upside the head with an axe.)

OUCH!! GEEEZZ!! [Frown]

quote:
quote:
[...] A starfish there once curled quite cozily around my finger. [Ultra confused] [Eek!] [Paranoid]

Oh.My.Gawd!

The depths of your depravity have obviously never been fully plumbed, my dear! [Snigger]

Hey. It was the starfish doing the curling. I did nothing -- nothing, I tell you -- to invite such shocking liberties.

It's the agressive coziness which probably sends Dobson over the edge. I think he and Patrick would make a cute couple, though.

Yeah....and just what part of "No" does a starfish not understand?!?!

Perhaps someone needs to decorate a sponge cake to look like SpongeBob, and give it to Dobson?
[Snigger]

One SpongeBob cake ready to go [Smile]

I'm happy to report that a search for Spongebob Squarepants slash fiction only turned up this.

For which we can all, particularly Patrick and/or Mr. Krab, be grateful.

There's a great cartoon this week in the New Yorker showing sponge and a starfish reading the mail. The caption says something like "Ah, how sweet. A congratualtions card from Batman and Robin."

Oh how I laughed.

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
...a search for Spongebob Squarepants slash fiction ...

Try fanfiction.net - Spongebob stories rated R!

[ 16. February 2005, 16:16: Message edited by: Henry Troup ]

I'm troubled, now.

Though I like the Batman joke...

Posted by fionn (# 8534) on :

Try this one of Spidey and Spongy.

Posted by Glenn (# 6517) on :

There's no pleasing some fundie groups. Tom and Jerry was too violent, but SpongBob is gay because he is SO not macho. I wouldn't say he's effeminate. He's like a little kid. Maybe he will grow up to be a gay man. Who knows? Who cares?!

I think SpongBob is hilarious. My sister gave me a SpongBob T-shirt, but I'm not gay, honest! No really. I've had sex with lots of women, I'll have you know.

[ 17. February 2005, 01:48: Message edited by: Glenn ]

ChastMaster, you have to post that bit from your LiveJournal here! (Yes, I do read it occasionally ...)

Which bit? [Confused]

David
genuinely curious, as it could be anything

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
There's no pleasing some fundie groups. Tom and Jerry was too violent, but SpongBob is gay because he is SO not macho. I wouldn't say he's effeminate. He's like a little kid. Maybe he will grow up to be a gay man. Who knows? Who cares?!

I think SpongBob is hilarious. My sister gave me a SpongBob T-shirt, but I'm not gay, honest! No really. I've had sex with lots of women, I'll have you know.

I always thought Spong's name was John.

quote:
I always thought Spong's name was John.

It is, or "Jack" to his admirers. Perhaps this is a brother...?

Actually our new priest raised a few eyebrows last week when he recounted an incident involving him, "Jack" and a third person. I remember thinking it was interesting that he knew the man well enough to call him Jack, but perhaps everybody does. His columns, though, say "John Shelby Spong."

Perhaps there is an entire family, Rossweisse.

The 'They came for Bert and Ernie' bit. Cracked me up.

I'd just like to add apropos of nothing in especial, that my cats, despite being exposed to a healthy straight relationship, are still shamelessly gay. They were just Greek wrestling again a moment ago. I don't know what to do for their lost souls.

Posted by The Riv (# 3553) on :

Laura, there is a dominance issue common in most species.

Or, they're just two hot pusses. [Biased]

It seems you need to watch out for Shrek 2 too. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Well, that's shocking. Calling the bartender evil like that. Terrible.

Oh, and he's Jonathan Ross in the UK version. Not sure if that makes it better or worse.

transgender agenda? try saying _that_ three times fast!

Posted by Linguo (# 7220) on :

quote:
I'd just like to add apropos of nothing in especial, that my cats, despite being exposed to a healthy straight relationship, are still shamelessly gay. They were just Greek wrestling again a moment ago. I don't know what to do for their lost souls.

Ours were gay and incestuous.

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
The 'They came for Bert and Ernie' bit. Cracked me up.

Oh that!

----------

first they came for bert and ernie
and i said nothing because i was not a muppet

then they came for tinky winky
and i said nothing because i was not a teletubby

then they came for spongebob and patrick
and i said nothing because i was not an asexual cartoon sea creature

and now i'm just wondering who'll be the next target of the
righteous conservative wrath against imaginary creatures

Posted by Ultraspike (# 268) on :

Anyone see the Simpsons gay marriage episode? Shocking I say, sure to be the ruin of our young people.

I've heard of it but am more interested in an episode where, as I recall, Homer thinks he's gay and is considered a bear. Anyone know anything about it? Would love to see it... (oh, the joys of catching up on the last few years of TV...)

[ 22. February 2005, 21:30: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

Posted by w_houle (# 9045) on :

All publicity is good publicity. I am not saying to ignore it and hope it goes away, I am saying is that theres no rational argument that is going to make this mess go away. Unfortunantly jumping on the big gay bandwagon might be a way for those who would not have a formed opinion or is acting in this fashion just to act out.
I would like for someone to point out what subtext/ subliminal message there is and how this is going to turn someone gay.

Earlier this evening we caught the end of the Simpsons episode where Homer thinks Bart is gay.

Aha, it's one in which Homer winds up with gay roommates. Still want to see it!

Posted by nobody calls me mezzo (# 4836) on :

I for one think that any kind of sexual innuendo is unacceptable in a children's television programme.

It wasn't like that in my day.

Posted by Kyzyl (# 374) on :

quote:
Originally posted by nobody calls me mezzo:
I for one think that any kind of sexual innuendo is unacceptable in a children's television programme.

I tore muscles laughing at that!!

"Pluck, pluck, pluck away..." [Killing me]

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
Aha, it's one in which Homer winds up with gay roommates. Still want to see it!

Does anyone know where I could get that one, or its name?

quote:

I can't imagine the Beeb didn't catch that.

IIRC, someone's linked to this before, and it's not a 'real' episode, in the sense that it was never made to be aired.

It was either for a charity night (Comic relief, after the watershed), or just made for fun, or something.

Sarkycow

Posted by saysay (# 6645) on :

Chast,

Are you looking for Three Gays of the Condo?

Posted by Calindreams (# 9147) on :

There is another Simpson episode where they make a new family friend - John (voiced by John Waters) who turns out to be gay. Homer fears that Bart could be influenced by him, so takes Bart off Reindeer hunting and for Bart to rediscover his masculinity.

quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
Chast,

Are you looking for Three Gays of the Condo?

YES!! If I could only find it!!

Posted by Ultraspike (# 268) on :

quote:
I heard something about the offending Buster episode on the radio this morning, and the person mentioning commented that it mainly consisted of seeing two women in a kitchen together. Makes you really worry about those church suppers, doesn't it? Of course I didn't see the evil abomination myself.

Here you can view the episode in its entirety or a 1-minute clip. At the end of the 1-minute clip you see the young girl displaying her two moms together in a photo. What a scandal. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Then there's the classic pantomime routines...

LOL!

quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:
...Here you can view the episode in its entirety or a 1-minute clip. At the end of the 1-minute clip you see the young girl displaying her two moms together in a photo. What a scandal. [Roll Eyes]

Hmmmm.... I can't help a mild Hellish speculation that the range of skin colour of the children might have got a few people going, too... Yah think? Anyone got a copy of Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress to hand? There's a line I'd like to quote but can't quite recall.

© Ship of Fools 2016