Thread: Eccles: Anglo-catholicism for beginners Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000494

Posted by rachel_o (# 1258) on :

OK - so I have been busy finding out in my nasty, hellish, anti-tat thread just how much I don't know about AC, RC and orthodox worship. It may surprise everyone to know that I would, genuinely, like to find out. So, if we start close to home, with the ACs - who can help?

I was brought up as a methodist, and then further up as a Baptist, and am currently in a VERY low-church Anglican church. I have been to the odd AC service - although never to high mass - and quite frankly, I was mostly baffled.

Can the brave denizens of SOF, come up with a friendly beginners guide to AC pratice - both in the practical sense and how it fits in with Christian theology and the bible? Feel free to direct me to websites, books etc, but I'd much rather hear straight from the horses mouth - mostly to avoid the problem of people using one word I don't understand to describe another word I don't understand.

I'm sure there are other people on the ship just as ignorant as I, so hopefully this will be helpful to them too.

Off you go then. Convince me that high church is the way to do things. I promise to try to be open-minded, but don't promise to agree.

All the best,

Rachel.

[ 14. May 2007, 14:23: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

Posted by Fiddleback (# 395) on :

I should love to help, but I don't think it is possible unless your questions are a little more specific. What has baffled you about Anglo Catholic services? I ask this, not because I don't think that anyone should be baffled by them, but so that I can have an idea of where to start answering.

quote:
Originally posted by Fiddleback:
I should love to help, but I don't think it is possible unless your questions are a little more specific. What has baffled you about Anglo Catholic services? I ask this, not because I don't think that anyone should be baffled by them, but so that I can have an idea of where to start answering.

OK, well I've only been to a very limited number, but here are some questions to start:

1) Why incense?
2) Why bells during communion?
3) What is a thurifer?
4) Why wafer, not proper bread?

All the best,

Rachel.

Posted by Amos (# 44) on :

As you're in Oxford, might I suggest that you sacrifice one Sunday morning to going to Mary Mags--Mattins at 10, Mass at 10:30? If you've done this already I apologize. Mary Mags is a bit more user-friendly than St. Barnabas.To tell the truth, it is one of my favourite churches. Everybody there will be welcoming and glad to explain things at coffee afterwards
and if you have difficulty in formulating specific questions now, this would make it easier.

Whoops, Rachel, we've cross-posted.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Wasn't there a thread with a dictionary of high-church terms? I know dictionaries don't give full explanations of how a practice fits in the context of the service, but as a starting explanation it should be quite helpful to Rachael.

Posted by Joan the Dwarf (# 1283) on :

quote:
Originally posted by rachel_o:
OK, well I've only been to a very limited number, but here are some questions to start:

1) Why incense?
2) Why bells during communion?
3) What is a thurifer?
4) Why wafer, not proper bread?

All the best,

Rachel.

1) a) Symbolic of prayers rising to God.
b) Because the congregation smell
c) Because the priest smells
d) Because it's fun

2) a) They're rung at the bit when the Real Presence "comes into" the bread and wine. When the bread and wine become the body and blood. It's to mark this important thing happening - to mark the presence of God exposed (cf in Benediction bells are rung when the Sacrament is got out of the tabernacle). Incense is waved at this point as well, again as a mark of the importance of the moment.
b) when everything was in Latin, to wake up the congo cos something important was happening.
c) to give the server something to do to stop them falling asleep during the long eucharistic prayer.
d) because it's fun.

3) a) Person in charge of the thurible, which is a tin can on chains in which incense is burnt on charcoals.
b) fire-raiser-in-chief to the Celebrant.
c) person tasked with making the choir cough loudly. There is a system of rewards based on coughs per unit of incense imposed.
d) server who has the most fun.

4) a) Because BCP stipulates that communion bread should be good and wholesome (proper recepticle for the Presence of our Lord), and some have interpreted this as meaning it's got to be made only of flour and water. Which gives you wafers (no yeast etc). It's not particularly an AC thing - plenty of middle-roadies use them.
b) Because they make less mess when you break them, so you don't have to hoover up Our Lord afterwards.
c) They taste nice
d) Because they're fun.

Right, next!

PS addition to 4): e) Because, as the Staggars football chant so eloquently puts it, "you can't put a muffin in a monstrance".

quote:
Originally posted by Joan the Dwarf:
2) a) They're rung at the bit when the Real Presence "comes into" the bread and wine. When the bread and wine become the body and blood.

OK. Explain the whole "Real Prescence" thing to me. Is this different from, or the same as transubstantiation? How do you know when the "Real Prescence" has arrived in the bread? Isn't Jesus really present all through the service?

quote:

[QB]
4) a) Because BCP stipulates that communion bread should be good and wholesome (proper recepticle for the Presence of our Lord), and some have interpreted this as meaning it's got to be made only of flour and water. Which gives you wafers (no yeast etc). It's not particularly an AC thing - plenty of middle-roadies use them.
b) Because they make less mess when you break them, so you don't have to hoover up Our Lord afterwards.
[QB]

OK - wait a minute - you BREAK wafers? I've never seen that done. In the middle-of-the road-but-leaning-towards-high churches I've been to they give you a whole little one.

oh, and are you allowed to touch it with your hands, or do you have to stick your tongue out?

Secondly, if you're going to be serious about the whole unleavened bread thing, why not use matzos? That should be the closest to what Jesus broke and blessed at the Lord's supper.

OK. That's it for now. But there will be more. If someone can direct me at a website which describes a good AC service (I have looked, using Google, but didn't find anything very helpful), then I'll have more of a structure to go with.

Thanks,

All the best,

Rachel.

Posted by Stephen (# 40) on :

Rachel
Have a look at the "Hanging Pyx " thread,as some of the issues of the Real Presence have had an airing,and not only by Anglo-Catholics
Oh,and please don't tease Pyx_e.....

Real Presence. Hmm, this is a sticky one, I'm not sure how divergent my own personal idea is from the mainstream. Anyway. It isn't transubstantiation - that's that the bread ceases to be bread and becomes flesh (tricky, I'm vegetarian ) and similarly for the wine and blood. Real Presence is more that God is actually (and really actually) present in the bread and the wine - sort of like a mini-Incarnation, if you like. That's why the Sacrament is treated with such reverence (genuflection to the Reserved Sacrament, Benediction, etc). It's God Incarnate, which is different from God as present spiritually, which s/he is all the time as you pointed out. My own view is similar, but very tied up with my view of the Incarnation as the ultimate place where the spiritual and the physical meet. Services and sacraments are 'thin places' between the two where we can move in the presence of both, but the Real Presence makes the bread and wine into focal points where the worlds touch. Just as they did much more importantly in Jesus - and in that Incarnation making it so we can have our 'little incarnations' in the Sacrament.

Breaking wafers: the priest has a big 'un which he breaks at the words 'we break this bread to share in the body of Christ' (symbolic of Christ's body broken for us on the Cross) - then there's often lots of little ones as well that have been consecrated, but only one big one gets broken symbolically.

Touching the wafer: if you want to be REALLY high, don't touch it because it's Our Lord - the priest's holy and can touch it, but we can't. Personally, I take it in my hands - I mean, it's going to go in my mouth . NB the idea of not touching comes into play at Benediction when the Celebrant holds the monstrance through a bit of cloth (humeral veil).

Matzo's use other stuff - salt etc. And it's not about using what Jesus would've used, it's about pure ingredients, which is interpreted as pure flour and water, nothing else.

NB Rachel we shall have to do a tat box together sometime you're in London or I'm in Oxford - we can sit at the back and I'll give you a running commentary!

Sorry to double-post,but...
Rachel,have a look at the other threads in MW.The difference between Catholic and Evangelical - or even between High and Low Church is due I think to different emphases in spirituality.Doctrines and practices are interesting but I think they don't always give you the inner picture such as what makes a High Church person tick
The other threads might well give you some sort of insight.....

Yes....one difference has already surfaced,between Joan and myself,in that I view the Real Presence as being the Risen Christ present in,with and under the bread and wine [to quote a Lutheran formula].Or...the bread and wine are still that but *added to them* is the Presence of the Risen Christ
And now perhaps you can see that just within Low Church theology you can have differnt viewpoints so it is in the High Church
But I shouldn't really be posting here as I don't regard myself as an Anglo-Catholic,although I do lean towards the High Church....

quote:
Originally posted by Stephen:
Yes....one difference has already surfaced,between Joan and myself,in that I view the Real Presence as being the Risen Christ present in,with and under the bread and wine [to quote a Lutheran formula].Or...the bread and wine are still that but *added to them* is the Presence of the Risen Christ

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I believe exactly this (the coming together of physical AND spiritual, not the replacement of the physical by the spiritual which is transubstantiation).

Sorry, double post, just to add:

cf Christ as fully human AND fully divine.

quote:
Real Presence is more that God is actually (and really actually) present in the bread and the wine - sort of like a mini-Incarnation, if you like. That's why the Sacrament is treated with such reverence (genuflection to the Reserved Sacrament, Benediction, etc). It's God Incarnate, which is different from God as present spiritually, which s/he is all the time as you pointed out.

OK - here's where I get confused. How do you get God into the bread? Surely it's up to God where he is at any given moment. What in the service suddenly dictates that the bread has the "Real prescence" in?

I don't think I've put this terribly well. I hope someone can figure out what I mean.

Stephen - thanks for the recommendations. I'll certainly look at both the hanging pyx thread and some others when I get bored tomorrow at work. I did read a selection of MW threads when I first joined the ship - but mostly only understood one word in 3.

Ok - I'm off to bed, 2 more questions though before I go:

1) Tell me again what a Pyx is please!

2) Why are biretta's important? Similar question applies to all the roby things, too.

Thanks guys,

All the best,

Rachel.

How does God get into the bread? I'm afraid someone else will have to give the standard answer as mine is wildly divergent (I'm willing to - and have - receive communion as sacrament in various diverse situations that would give an orthodox (small 'o') AC apoplexy ). I really really hate the idea that "the priest does the magic" and puts God in - IMHO that's as bad as the idea of an HTB worship leader telling the Holy Spirit to come along now we're ready for you. God puts God in, it's God who touches the two worlds together in the sacrament. We're trying to create the right environment for us to partake of this. Liturgy etc sets apart the service as a place and a time focussed wholly on God and asks "please" - and we believe that God's promised to be there. It's very easy to take this idea to the extremes of the liturgy as an incantation summoniny God, or the other one of "why bother with communion if God can come anytime". To you, I'd compare it with the gifts of the Spirit coming to someone at the relevant time during a service: the HS hasn't been summoned, but rather there's a give-and-take between the person preparing themselves and being in a receptive situation and God. One difference, of course, is that we believe that God will always be Real in the Sacrament. So what counts as a communion service? I don't know, but God does, that's what counts, I'm trying to figure that out.

NB swishy tatty things: they're FUN!!! (And cos most male AC's love to cross-dress JOKE ). Seriously, they're part of the whole setting things aside for God and marking things out for God's use. There's lots of symbolism tied in with the different vestments as well, so when you're vested you're set apart for God (cf monk and nun habits), and in yourself become part of the 'thin place' where the physical takes on spiritual meaning and significance.

Posted by CorgiGreta (# 443) on :

I was taught that the consecrated Host should only be touched by the priest (with the canonical digits), and it should NEVER be chewed. These rules, were designed to show deep reverence for the consecrated Host - special table manners for a very special meal. A proper Communion wafer will dissolve rapidly without mastication.

Greta

Posted by The Coot (# 220) on :

Ahem. I've flogged it a bit much. But I just want to remind everyone again of the existence of Evangelical Catholics. Anglo-catholic is not the only way to go, you know.

Evangelical Tat-Queen Wannabe,
The Coot.

Sorry to double post, but these articles of why they do what they do (liturgical piety) and those under 'Seeing Red' about making the sign of the cross and distributing the Blessed Sacrament, may be of use.

Posted by FCB (# 1495) on :

quote:
OK - here's where I get confused. How do you get God into the bread? Surely it's up to God where he is at any given moment. What in the service suddenly dictates that the bread has the "Real prescence" in?

Not sure I should respond, since I'm the wrong kind of catholic (Roman, not Anglo), but I can't let this one pass.

The real trick is no try to not think is spatial categories: since God is no bounded by space, he isn't any "where" to the exclusion of any other "where." So what happens in the Eucharist is not that God becomes present some place that he wasn't before, but rather God becomes present in some way or mode that he wasn't before. And that mode is what we call "sacramental" -- i.e. by means of sacred signs.

One of the reasons I hold to the "transubstantiation" view is that it doesn't require you to say that God is "in" the bread, since what is on the altar is no longer bread and wine, but the body and blood of Christ, which is (thanks to the union of humanity and divinity in christ) the body and blood of God. Put in terms of metaphysics: the elements have undergone a change of substance. Put in terms of semiotics: the elements have undergone a change of meaning of signification. What once were signs of human nourishment and communion have become signs of divine nourishment and feasting with Christ in the kingdom of God. What a catholic (presumably either Roman or Anglo) would want to emphasize is that this change -- whether phrased in terms of substance or signification -- is not simply a change in what the elements mean "for us" but in what they mean for God, i.e. what they really mean.

As to how this occurs, of course it is ultimately through the action of the Holy Spirit, but it is also through the sacramental (i.e. ritual) recalling of the sacrifice of Christ by the community.

Hope this is some help.

FCB

Posted by FCB (# 1495) on :

oops.

The first sentence of my second paragraph should read: "the real trick is to try not to think in spatial categories."

FCB

Posted by babybear (# 34) on :

quote:
OK - here's where I get confused. How do you get God into the bread?

1) Tell me again what a Pyx is please!

2) Why are biretta's important? Similar question applies to all the roby things, too.

God into bread: Jesus said "Do this", it is his command, and he will fulfill his part. Therefore we can be confident that Jesus will be present during communion/eucharist/mass. Where Jesus will be is a matter for your theology. To me, where he is is nowhere near as important as that he is there.

1. I have just checked the MW dictionary, and it says: pyx a small ciborium. Well, that is less than helpful.

A pyx is a container to put the consecrated wafers in. They are often small enough to put in a priestly pocket so that they can be distributed to the sick of the parish. When the pyx is not 'on its travels' it will normally reside in a special box in the church. Sometimes this can be a hanging pyx, or a tabernacle, or a monstrance. Often there will be a candle, or a light showing that there is 'something' in the box.

2. biretta it is a hat that was originally worn by the graduates of Bologna. It then became a bit of a fashion statement within the church. Most items of clothing within in the church were fashionable (and worn by the educated/wealthy people) at one time. It is a matter of tradition. Do anything twice, and it becomes a tradition.

Rachel, in your opening post you said:

quote:

Convince me that high church is the way to do things. I promise to try to be open-minded, but don't promise to agree.

I was in a similar position just under a year ago. I don't think that you will be convinced that the high church way is the best. But you stand a good chance of seeing that it is an equally valid way of worshipping and serving God as the ways of the low churches.

It is going to be a baffling time, but well worthy while.

bb

Posted by sacredthree (# 46) on :

Our FAQ may help you Rachel_O

St.Mary and St.Michaels FAQ

Although I am not quite so far up the candle as to have to worry about half the stuff here.

I will echo the idea that at root being "catholic" is about Spirituality rather than the way you do things in church. I know our local RC priest would agree with me. To my mind the way we worship should flow out of that spirituality not out of some text book of notes ritual or handbook of parsons.

Posted by Emilie (# 569) on :

Hi there,

Good questions, and an interesting thread

One other symbolism of incense: The rather grubby earthly mixture is purified by being burnt into the smoke of the incense. Which is symbolic of our grubby earthy natures being purified by the fires of Christ's passion.

There's lots of neat bits of symbolism in much of the liturgy/tat. Most of which I don't know about. One I love, that a friend told me about, is that the wine is mixed equally with the water. Which is symbolic of the human and divine nature being mixed in Christ. In the same way as, once mixed, you cannot seperate the water from the wine, you cannot seperate the divine and spiritual within Christ.

As far as all the funny robes go, there's a whole bunch of prayers that the priest says whilst robing. Can I remember them? No. But I vaguely remember they all tie the physical garment to its spiritual nature. I'm sure there are people here who can tell you far more about that than I.

Emilie

Posted by Oriel (# 748) on :

quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
I was taught that the consecrated Host should only be touched by the priest (with the canonical digits), and it should NEVER be chewed. These rules, were designed to show deep reverence for the consecrated Host - special table manners for a very special meal. A proper Communion wafer will dissolve rapidly without mastication.

Greta

This really puzzles me, and has ever since I first came across this viewpoint. For me, one of the most moving thing about the Eucharist is how Christ humbles himself to come among us -- and how he puts himself into our hands just as he put himself into the hands of the authorities to be crucified. And as for chewing, well, isn`t that precisely which Jesus tells us to do in John 6?

But most of all, I just don`t understand why you should not touch it with your hands, when you`re going to be touching it with your lips, tongue, and digestive system? How can handling Christ be worse than swallowing him? Can anyone convince me that there`s a serious difference between them?

Posted by Old Fashioned Crab (# 1204) on :

Most ways of showing reverence, or even normal human politeness, are somewhat gestural. Think of kissing or hand shaking or waving. They all may have an origin, reportedly, of a useful kind, but they have become stylised now. But they do still help people around us to tell what is going on in our heads ... 'I love you' or 'I'm sad you're going' or 'let's talk'. So it is with these apparently petty little gestures. They show other worshippers what is, or should be going on in our heads.

quote:
Originally posted by Emilie:

As far as all the funny robes go, there's a whole bunch of prayers that the priest says whilst robing. Can I remember them? No. But I vaguely remember they all tie the physical garment to its spiritual nature. I'm sure there are people here who can tell you far more about that than I.

This came in while I was typing my previous post, and it reminded me that I was going to ask you lot about something that came up this weekend while I was helping put up all the purple for Advent. The warden was showing me how to lay out the vestments, and said that the stole (I think that`s what the scarfy thing is called?) should be laid out in a particular pattern which he`d never figured out how to do. So, everyone, what is the pattern, and how do you do it?

Posted by american piskie (# 593) on :

quote:

I was taught that the consecrated Host ... should NEVER be chewed.

I have failed to dredge up from the decaying brain cells which of the Fathers exhorts us on the contrary to press and grind the Bread with out teeth and squeeze out every last bit of goodness. But I always remember to do so.

Don't Bite the Baby always seems such crass theology.

Posted by Hooker's Trick (# 89) on :

Article XXIX makes reference to "carnally and visibly pressing with the teeth" the Sacrament.

[host mortar board in hand]

First of all where are all the tat queens in getting this discussion moving? Poor Joan of Diminutive Stature is shouldering the burden rather on her own. It's one to thing to pontificate (ha ha) about how things ought to be done, but another to actually sit down and explain.

Second, rachel and others might be interested in checking out the English Missal Usage thread on this board, where there are a lot of links to lots of exotic A/C stuff in action.

A very good website to visit is Project Canterbury.

A very cogent and readable introduction can be found at What is Anglo Catholicism? This rewards the time taken to read, I think.

Also, may I suggest having a look at the "Catholic Virgins" thread in Purgatory, where some people are sharing their conversion experiences.

HT [MW Host]

Posted by laudian (# 381) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Oriel:
The warden was showing me how to lay out the vestments, and said that the stole (I think that`s what the scarfy thing is called?) should be laid out in a particular pattern which he`d never figured out how to do. So, everyone, what is the pattern, and how do you do it?

The maniple, stole and girdle should respectively form the letters of an IHS monogram, with the cross in the middle of the stole in the middle of the crossbar of the H.

Modern tat queens suggest making an A (stole) and Omega (girdle) monogram, but if you want to do this sort of thing at all it would be better to stick to IHS and have the priest leave the maniple on the press if he doesn't want to wear it.

Posted by Newman's Own (# 420) on :

quote:

What Greta mentions was standard Roman Catholic practise until the 1970s. It actually arose because of abuses. During the early Christian centuries, communicants did have the Host placed in their hands. However (and, sad to say, this is no urban legend) there were occasions of irreverence, some going so far as to take a Host for potions, that receiving on the tongue became standard by the Middle Ages.

A number of RC theologians, around the time of the Reformation, did argue for both Communion in the hand and for the communicants to receive both the bread and wine. I am inclined to think that this did not happen then, at least in part, because those Reformers who argued for both (despite its scriptural and early Church bases) often moved away from acceptance of the Real Presence altogether.

I don't think that there was any official pronouncement about "not masticating," though I have heard this in the past. That comes from taking things a bit too literally (Christ, after all, is Risen...), as if we would harm Him by chewing Him up.

Rules about not touching the Host were extremely rigid in my (RC) youth. In fact, if one found a Host on the floor (when one was cleaning or something), one was supposed to (I swear I'm not making this up) kneel next to it in adoration until a priest or deacon could lift it. Linen that came into contact with the consecrated wine could not be washed until one in major orders "swished" them.

[Teasing tag ON] Once in awhile, an Anglo-Catholic is one who believes Christ is present, has no notion of "how," thinks the "how" tended to obscure the "what," finds Neil Boyd's description (in "Bless Me, Father") of burying a Hoover because he fears he has caught consecrated crumbs in the brushes all too believable, and had quite enough.

Newman's Own--I once knew a lady who had got in terrible trouble in her teens (this was in Turin, and before the war) for deliberately biting the Host. I would guess that the melt-in-your-mouth tradition goes way, way back--possibly to the legends associated with the popular reception of the doctrine of transubstantiation round about the 1100s many of which involved the cutting or mutilation of the Host by an unbeliever (or Jew) and the Host crying out or bleeding.

quote:
Originally posted by laudian:
The maniple, stole and girdle should respectively form the letters of an IHS monogram, with the cross in the middle of the stole in the middle of the crossbar of the H.

Modern tat queens suggest making an A (stole) and Omega (girdle) monogram, but if you want to do this sort of thing at all it would be better to stick to IHS and have the priest leave the maniple on the press if he doesn't want to wear it.

I think it was alpha and omega, but it definitely just involved the stole. Or maybe that`s why he`s never figured out how to arrange it?

(I was hoping for someone to describe how to fold the thing to form the pattern in question..)

Righty ho then, but this information will be of no practical use whatsoever in Llanddewi Rhydderch, I should have thought.

First take your stole and lay it full length in a straight line across your vestment press with the cross at the centre. Place your left hand holda the stole down about six inches to the left of the cross, and then reach over and grasp the free bit of the stole about twelve inches from your left hand, bringing it up to a point directly above the said left hand. Fold it down, away from you, onto the surface so that the dangling free bit then folds back over it and lies toward you. The bit nearset you should be the spade end, which ought to have a nice bullion fringe on it and be no less than eight inches in width. Repeat the process on the other side, mutatis mutandis, and hey presto a stole folded into a letter 'H'!

quote:
Originally posted by sacredthree:

I will echo the idea that at root being "catholic" is about Spirituality rather than the way you do things in church. I know our local RC priest would agree with me. To my mind the way we worship should flow out of that spirituality not out of some text book of notes ritual or handbook of parsons.

I am in a state of shock....A post by Edward,every word of which I agree....
Can you send me some virtual sal volatile please,S3?
Both Edward and Hooker's Trick are I think right here.The thread has been going in the same way as many others,a discussion of "tat" which I think is not helping much here.The fiddly detail as to what the subdeacon should be doing at the Prayer of Consecration is perhaps not the most important thing here;the most important thing here is to try to discover the soul of High Church Christianity or if you like its spirituality.
And yet I think that can be difficult.How do you define "spirituality"?It's hard isn't it?So it's only too easy to take refuge in incredibly detailed discussions of doctrine and ceremonial.To use an analogy from astronomy,what we've been doing is giving Rachel-O a lecture in the latest astrophysical discoveries......but what she really needs to do is to learn the constellations!
In other words,what I'm saying here is that we need first to go back to basics....I'm not really the person to do it,but I'll have a go.....Remember this is not cast in stone!
Right,back to basics then.Perhaps we could start with the word "Catholic".The word means universal,and I think it was St.Vincent of Lerins (NO will correct me should I go astray here I'm sure ) who said that the Catholic faith is the faith that is received always,everywhere,and by all.("Quod semper,quod ubique,quod ab omnibus creditum est" is I think the quotation) The foundation of doctrine is of course Scripture,but the interpretation of Scripture is difficult,or at least can be,so to this end tradition,( quod semper)and indeed what others believe (quod ubique,quod ab omnibus) is invaluable in the interpretation of Scripture.
So you can see that tradition is important not so much in wearing robes,but in quite basic things,namely the interpretation of Scripture itself
But once you start accepting the idea that tradition has important things to say,other things may - but not necessarily must follow.You could for instance come to the view that the continuity of the Church in doctrine and worship is not insignificant.You may come to have a "high" view of the Church.Vestments are what the well-dressed citizen of Rome would have worn circa 4th.century and emphasise the continuity of the Church.The Eucharist was instituted by Our Lord and was important in the Early Church.Things which emphasise this become important.
At the centre of High Church Christianity is the Eucharist itself.It is central to your spiritual life.You will want to receive Holy Communion each Sunday,maybe during the week as well,to meet the Risen Lord in Holy Communion.So you emphasise these ideas by treating it with honour;hence the vestments....
But there is or at least should be another side to it.The importance of the Holy Communion is that we use quite ordinary things.....bread and wine.St.Augustine (I think) said that these elements represented humanity too ("There you are on the Table:in the bread and in the wine").So the altar isn't a place to retreat to.....it's a place you rise from,sanctified and strengthened to work in the real world.....and the person selling the "Big Issue" round the corner from the church building is as much a part of that as you are,indeed as Christ is....
And I think that's enough from him!And I realise that I'm only skirting the main issue which I think is one of spirituality ....which Edward mentioned,and which I'm finding difficult to explain.I'm hindered in that I'm not a fully-fledged Anglo-Catholic,and there are some things in it that I have reservations about.What I've tried to do is to pick out one or two things
HTH
[BTW,thanks for that clarification Joan.I think I may have been at cross-purposes
]

Posted by Nancy Winningham (# 91) on :

Lutherans are normally given the host (whether bread, matso, or wafers) in the hand. A cross-shaped "cradle for the Christ child," as Martin Luther put it, is formed by the left hand outstretched and the right hand outstretched on top, the fingers pointing about 90 degrees from one another, to make a cross-shape.

Sorry that I'm being so brief (actually, you probably are relieved...), but I don't have the time at hand right now to explain this in full - and others here are far better equipped to do so. But I must note, for those new to the "High" business (except for Stephen, who is more with it than most of us), that some of the means of expression used on this thread may be rather confusing, because expressing the inexpressible is always a bit difficult.

There is no "magic." No one makes Him present - He was there in the first place. And His Body and Blood are not as they were when His bones were under them - He is risen and ascended to the Father, present by the power of the Holy Spirit in His Church, and all of that good stuff.

I'm a firm believer in the Real Presence, but I realised that, where those of us who are can be quite expressive, someone new to the idea may inadvertantly think we're describing a conjuring act.

(As an aside... there is much one could get into trouble about in Turin... I'm surprised that the lady who munched didn't find the Host had begun to bleed - AB- blood, as on the Holy Shroud - after which some ingenious soul would be sure to sell tickets to pilgrimage groups from Ireland.)

quote:
How does God get into the bread? I'm afraid someone else will have to give the standard answer as mine is wildly divergent (I'm willing to - and have - receive communion as sacrament in various diverse situations that would give an orthodox (small 'o') AC apoplexy ). I really really hate the idea that "the priest does the magic" and puts God in - IMHO that's as bad as the idea of an HTB worship leader telling the Holy Spirit to come along now we're ready for you.

Liturgy etc sets apart the service as a place and a time focussed wholly on God and asks "please" - and we believe that God's promised to be there. It's very easy to take this idea to the extremes of the liturgy as an incantation summoniny God, or the other one of "why bother with communion if God can come anytime".

NB swishy tatty things: they're FUN!!!

1) My real worry about the whole real prescence thing is exactly what you described - priest does some magic, summons God via incantation. What a yucky idea! I also have a real problem with people trying to invoke the holy spirit, and am not one of those who babbles away in tongues to order, but I have been in that sitauation and hence understand the analogy you made. What I need to know is when did God promise to be in the bread. I know about the last supper - I am after all a GLE, we read our bibles to the point of distraction at times - but how do you get from there to this idea really?

2) My next question: Joan is all this stuff really fun? I read the webpages The Coot recommended (and they were v. helpful). However, having read them, the only feeling I am left with is that this all sounds very stressful. In the part about recieving the host it was all very much - everyone MUST be taught to be INCREDIBLY careful because it would be SO awful if anyone dropped anything etc etc. Now, as someone who has a medical problem which causes me to have spasms and drop things, I would find these kind of strictures incredibly stressful. I wouldn't - to use a nasty GLE phrase - spend any "quality time" with God during communion, cos I'd be so worried about messing up. This doesn't just go for the first time you do it either. In a service where the talk was about God releasing us from fear, I heard someone give a testimony about never having enjoyed communion - for years - for fear of dropping the chalice (and this is in a GLE church where we don't have much fuss). Of course he was giving the testimony cos God has freed him from his fear, but you see my point.

quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
1. I have just checked the MW dictionary, and it says: pyx a small ciborium. Well, that is less than helpful.

That's why I decided not to try and learn stuff from the dictionary thread - it was too confusing.

quote:
I was in a similar position just under a year ago. I don't think that you will be convinced that the high church way is the best. But you stand a good chance of seeing that it is an equally valid way of worshipping and serving God as the ways of the low churches.

That is what I'm hoping to learn. Not that I don't think high church worship is valid - although a few years ago I didn't.

quote:
:
Both Edward and Hooker's Trick are I think right here.The thread has been going in the same way as many others,a discussion of "tat" which I think is not helping much here.The fiddly detail as to what the subdeacon should be doing at the Prayer of Consecration is perhaps not the most important thing here;the most important thing here is to try to discover the soul of High Church Christianity or if you like its spirituality.

Ah! Thankyou Stephen! - I was getting very lost in the descriptions of robe-folding.

quote:
: But once you start accepting the idea that tradition has important things to say,other things may - but not necessarily must follow.You could for instance come to the view that the continuity of the Church in doctrine and worship is not insignificant.You may come to have a "high" view of the Church.Vestments are what the well-dressed citizen of Rome would have worn circa 4th.century and emphasise the continuity of the Church.The Eucharist was instituted by Our Lord and was important in the Early Church.Things which emphasise this become important.

3) OK. This gives rise to a - to me - very important question. How far back does this tradition go? In the churches I have regularly attended, we tend to ignore a lot of this tradition, but we still claim (doesn't everyone?) to be copying the early church - by which we mean the church as seen in action in Acts and as described in the various Epistles and perhaps also the beginning of Revelation. Now - I have tried quite hard to read these things fairly neutrally, and have probably failed - but I see in the very early church a simplicity and beauty of worship, a lack of emphasis on ceremony, and an emphasis on individual contribution to worship. All of this being withing the context of an orderly service. How do we get from this to the beginnings of the RC (for instance) tradition? Or do you all think I'm misinterpreting the Bible?

quote:
: But there is or at least should be another side to it.The importance of the Holy Communion is that we use quite ordinary things.....bread and wine.St.Augustine (I think) said that these elements represented humanity too ("There you are on the Table:in the bread and in the wine").So the altar isn't a place to retreat to.....it's a place you rise from,sanctified and strengthened to work in the real world.....and the person selling the "Big Issue" round the corner from the church building is as much a part of that as you are,indeed as Christ is....

4) Now, this is one of the main reasons why I find all the tat and ceremony surrounding communion so confusing. It is precisely because I believe that communion has real world relevance that I don't feel comfortable with dressing it up in this way. I want to come to God at Communion as me - as He sees me all week. And I don't eat by having food placed in my mouth, I certainly don't eat without chewing, I don't only relate to God during the week in a highly reverential way (He is my loving father), I don't wear dressy clothes, I don't pray in fancy words. If I have to do all this to take communion, then don't I stop being me - coming just as I am to the foot of the cross. I know everyone's about to say that the differentness is all about awe of and reverence for God, but to me one of the most awesome things about communion is the ordinariness of it - real bread and real wine and a real experience of God - a God who is willing to work with very ordinary material - me and you - to do His work in His world.

Did that make any sense?

I guess what I'm trying to say is - you can have symbolism without all these symbols!

5) OK, I know this is a very long post, but I must add one more thing. How do you prevent this type of worship from become very exclusive? I mean this in 2 ways - firstly, how do you make this accesible to people who haven't done it before - whether Christian or non - rather than turning it into something of a private members club? Secondly, how do you avoid giving the impression of looking down your nose at those who don't do it your way? Actually, lots of people on board ship do a bit of looking down noses at evos here and there. Is this necessary to maintain the purity of the way you worship, or is it snobbery? Some of the webpages Coot recommended (don't worry Coot, I know you were being sweet and helpful) did make me feel that the author was saying - "You're doing it all wrong you horrible little blasphemer!".

HT - I will read you recommended webpages tomorrow, I hope.

Sorry this is very long. I have numbered the actual questions for ease of reference.

All the best,

Rachel.

PS... Remember I'm a GLE - give me some Bible verses. I like Bible verses. I'll even let you proof-text at me a little bit....

Posted by Iakovos (# 623) on :

Rachel,

As one who was raised Southern Baptist [for those in England who dont know what this is , it's about as evangelical a background as you can get in the US], and now a member of an Anglo-Catholic Episcopal
congregation in the US, perhaps I can help interpret.

You writenull

quote:

OK. This gives rise to a - to me - very important question. How far back does this tradition go? In the churches I have regularly attended, we tend to ignore a lot of this tradition, but we still claim (doesn't everyone?) to be copying the early church - by which we mean the church as seen in action in Acts and as described in the various Epistles and perhaps also the beginning of Revelation. Now - I have tried quite hard to read these things fairly neutrally, and have probably failed - but I see in the very early church a simplicity and beauty of worship, a lack of emphasis on ceremony, and an emphasis on individual contribution to worship. All of this being withing the context of an orderly service. How do we get from this to the beginnings of the RC (for instance) tradition? Or do you all think I'm misinterpreting the Bible?

Some of the ceremony and ritual is, I understand, of medieval origin. Other parts
borrow all the way back to Jewish temple worship. Certainly things like the use of incense, some forms of priestly vestments,
etc. may have been carried over by some in the early church.

It is fairly clear, though, that the Eucharist (or Lord's Supper, if you are a Baptist) was a central part of the worship of the 1st century church. Besides the writings of the Apostles in the Bible, we
also have the writings of the first generations taught by them directly (often referred to as the Church Fathers...)Though these writings are not canonical, they are useful to see how the early church worshipped. These people include Polycarp (d 156),said to have been a disciple of John, and Irenaeus (125-202), and many others.

From them, we know that parts of the liturgy we use today are largely unchanged from the 1st century church. In particular , the
Great Thanksgiving ...

The Lord be with you.
People And with thy spirit.
Celebrant Lift up your hearts.
People We lift them up unto the Lord.
Celebrant Let us give thanks unto our Lord God.
People It is meet and right so to do.
was clearly used by the early Church. And the
Eucharist was clearly central to worship.

Yes, many trappings have been added on since then. But the fundamentals of liturgical worship go back to the 1st century church.

So, I've come to have an appreciation for this continuous link to the forms of worship in the early church. And frankly, I don't believe anymore that the first century church
was recreated in a pure form by Roger Williams or any other Reformer in the 17th century. [The Reformation goes back a lot
further than that!]

Frankly a lot of the discussions of cermonial minutiae in this board are just plain silly. But the fact remains that many
extreme protestants have thrown out the baby with the bath water and left behind some authentic practices of the early church.
[Although, conveniently, they ignore
the process of the development of the Bible
canon when they "they don't rely on tradition". Who determined the books of the Bible, but the early Church ?]

Yes, Jesus is your friend. But He is also the
Awesome and Mysterious Word who Spoke the
Universe into Being. We do well to remember
that, and approach his throne in fear and adoration as well. Take a look at the imagery
of the throne of God in the Book Revelations...Incense! Bowing! No happy-clappy stuff here! [Rev ch. 8]

I find that the high church ritual is helpful
in reminding one of that aspect of God. We bow as the processional cross passes, not as empty ritual, but in reminder and acknowledgement of His Sacrifice for us.

Is there room for all the styles of Christian
worship found in different denominations today? Absolutely! Do I get hung up on it ? No.

Is it unfortunate that the Church is split this way ? Yes, but I think God has managed to turn even this evil into good. I think of
the various denominations as polishing the various facets of a diamond as they pratice their different forms of worship. All work together to reflect the Glory of God.

-Iakovos

To aid you in your understanding of AngloCatholicism a friend and I have produced a short Flash animation.

Bouncing Lace!

Hope it helps.

Posted by Manx Taffy (# 301) on :

Very good Edward - I don't know what site my colleagues thought I was connected to with those sound effects!

quote:
In the part about recieving the host it was all very much - everyone MUST be taught to be INCREDIBLY careful because it would be SO awful if anyone dropped anything etc etc. Now, as someone who has a medical problem which causes me to have spasms and drop things, I would find these kind of strictures incredibly stressful.

Silly Point My most embarrassing communion moment ever has to be when I managed to mistime the whole sip/swallow/amen thing and splattered myself, the deacon's shiney new vestments and the floor with the Blood of Christ. Since I was very much into the this is the *real* blood and must be treated with awe, I briefly considered dropping to my knees and licking the floor. Being thoroughly British, tho, I settled for just slopping off in embarrassment.

quote:
but to me one of the most awesome things about communion is the ordinariness of it - real bread and real wine and a real experience of God

Serious point Actually I entirely agree. I find the contrast of all that ceremony, pomp and majesty just highlights the simple ordinaryness of the breaking of bread. As if the liturgy serves to throw all the focus on that act. Which, through its very ordinariness, becomes transformed.

I guess that's kind of how I percieve Christ. The intense, contradictory harmony of Christ's divine and human natures. The liturgy works to mirror that for me.

Good luck with your exploring!

Emily

Okay, S3, I like it. But what's with the three floating egg things at the end??

Emily

Posted by Carys (# 78) on :

1)
quote:
What I need to know is when did God promise to be in the bread. I know about the last supper - I am after all a GLE, we read our bibles to the point of distraction at times - but how do you get from there to this idea really?

Basically from Jesus' words at the Last Supper (see Matthew 26:26-8). He says 'Take this and eat; this is my body' and 'Drink from it, all of you. For this is my blood, the blood of the covenant, shed for many for the forgiveness of sins.'

2) Is it fun? I'm not sure, but then again I'm not an Anglo-Catholic. I can see that it could be very easy to get so caught up in the mechanics of it that you lose sight of the centre, this is particularly a problem for servers I suspect, but the visual nature is I think a very great strength. Protestantism is very much a literate religion (which is not necessarily a bad thing especially as it tends to promote literacy, so it ain't exclusive) whereas Catholicism is far more visual and perhaps engages more of us in worship as we stand sit, kneel, cross ourselves, genuflect even.

3) The early church. To be honest, I don't know. a) because my knowledge of church history is limited and b) because I'm not sure we can ever be that sure of what did happen. I'm very dubious about the Protestant claim that they are returning to how the early church did things, because there is such a gap between the two periods and I think the mindsets of the two are very different as are the cultures so we can't be exactly the same. We tend to forget, I think, the very Jewish nature of the early church. I suspect for example that a liturgical year developed very early within Christian tradition because of the sequence of festivals within Judaism.

5) Making in non-exclusive and looking down on evos.
Making worship accessible is a problem within any tradition and I don't really have a solution to it. I think it's mostly to do with the attitude and friendliness of the congregation more than with the style of worship.
Yes, some Anglo-Catholics do look down on evos, but then again many evangelicals are very unsure whether Anglo-Catholics are Christians at all, so there are faults on both sides. We all need to accept that there are different ways to worship and these different ways appeal to different people and enable them to express their worship. We need to value the diversity and accept each other.

Carys

quote:
Originally posted by Iakovos:
Frankly a lot of the discussions of cermonial minutiae in this board are just plain silly....

Yes, a lot of the discussions on this board are silly an nit-picking, and will not have any effects on the world. But it is good to have fun, and to be silly.

quote:
But the fact remains that many
extreme protestants have thrown out the baby with the bath water and left behind some authentic practices of the early church....

It is not "extreme" protestants. The standard run of the mill protestants do not rely on tradition in anywhere near the same way that the Orthodox or catholic churches do. The fursthest back most protestant traditions will go back is to the Reformation.

quote:
Yes, Jesus is your friend. But He is also the Awesome and Mysterious Word who Spoke the Universe into Being.

There a two main groups, a very conservative group, mostly older people who can only think of Jesus as the "Awesome and Mysterious Word who Spoke the Universe into Being" (Jesus the divine). They have just as much respect and awe during communion as the highest AC.

The second group, mostly younger people, see Jesus as being friend and brother (Jesus the human).

But thankfully a third group is forming, one in which people can appreaciate that Jesus is both!

bb

Posted by Wood (# 7) on :

quote:
There a two main groups, a very conservative group, mostly older people who can only think of Jesus as the "Awesome and Mysterious Word who Spoke the Universe into Being" (Jesus the divine). They have just as much respect and awe during communion as the highest AC.

You're absolutely right. A/C's don't have a monopoly on awe.

Now, as for the 'this is my blood' thing. It's interesting that churches which promote literalist interpretations of Scripture tend to take this symbolically, while A/C churches (which often don't have literalist interpretations of scripture) take this literally.

No opinion there or judgement, or anything. I just find it interesting.

Posted by Manx Taffy (# 301) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
Now, as for the 'this is my blood' thing. It's interesting that churches which promote literalist interpretations of Scripture tend to take this symbolically, while A/C churches (which often don't have literalist interpretations of scripture) take this literally.

No opinion there or judgement, or anything. I just find it interesting.

So too the passages (spot the AC who can't quote chapter and verse and doesn't have a bible to hand to look it up) that Jesus spoke on divorce taken most literally by catholicism and not at all literally by protestants! Again interesting.

And some of us accept evolution and aren't too keen on miracles.....
Edward.....very droll

Oh my, S3, that's priceless!!!! Are the egg-shaped things assuming the server bodily into heaven?

S3 and Stephen are entirely right: what is most important is spirituality, liturgy flows from that (it's the public expression of spirituality, if you like). Here's some of the basics. The pillars of faith, so to speak, are 1) Scripture 2) reason (including experience) 3) tradition. Reason combines the three to form a theology and a spirituality. The idea is to gain an interplay of the three such that we are not static (as would be if we relied on Scripture/tradition alone) but that in the evolution we don't throw away everything that has been concluded up until now (hence tradition). It's a dynamic theology/spirituality that evolves all the time from where it was before. In this way we don't imprison God in the bible, or slavishly follow tradition (well, in an ideal AC world ) or re-invent the wheel (and repeat past mistakes and don't build on our heritage) by throwing away everything we've been given. I would liken it very much to the process of science: we build on what we have been given, gain new insights and understandings, and sometimes come up with new theories but they are never wholly divorced from what has gone before.

To answer Rachel's 2): yes, some people would find it very stressful and distracting. About as stressful and distracting as I find Aldates-type places and their style of worship . Different people need different ways of getting to God - which is why I think it's good there is such a difference of worship practise out there. I don't find having my actions prescribed stressful, and I speak here particularly as a server. I know what I'm meant to be doing (which takes away a lot of stress), and within those roles I can do things that I would feel incredibly uncomfortable doing outside. For example, I can prostrate before the Sacrament at Benediction focussing wholly on God because the role frees me from worrying about other people.
It is also a good check against going overboard: you don't get the sort of over-the-top flinging ones'self around that you can get in some churches, which can actually be quite unhealthy and detract from worshipping God. And no, I'm not just being excessively British here .
One further point about the prescribed roles is that liturgy ceases to become something that you say and becomes something that you are - you are a part of the liturgy, liturgy is much more than words, it is sights and smells and actions, very multi-sensory and very rich. I find this especially when I'm serving: my movements and actions in themselves are prayer.
And finally: ritual liturgy emphasises the corporate nature of Christianity. Being in a church service is different from personal devotions: it is not just a group of individuals who happen to be praying in the same place, it is a group that is a part of the body of Christ, a corporate entity. Having the thing mapped out (what everyone's doing etc) helps this: it's communal action, and communal prayer through that action (see previous point).

One important thing, though, is that this is all there to help people, to help them get closer to God, and if AC worship doesn't do that for some people then they shouldn't worship in that way. Furthermore, we should never get to the point where we consider liturgy to be more important that the people who are using it: if someone has an illness which means they spill the communion wine, they shouldn't be made to feel bad about it or stressed or even excluded - rather they should be included and worked with. Liturgy is for people, not people for the litugy (there y'go Rachel, that's almost a bible quote ).

Worship is there to help bring people closer to God, and closer to the perception of the spiritual world. What was said by the protestants on the Holy objects thread is, I think, right: the physical is holy after the Incarnation. The point is that we don't always move in the awareness of this, and the awareness that God came among us an through that joined earth and heaven inextricably - we need help to see this, and what I personally find very helpful is a place where it is made obvious that this is the case, by overtly symbolic and multisensory worship. This then helps me see the divine in what I perceive normally as the everyday. If you like, there's no qualitiative difference between a Palestrina motet and the latest SClub7 single - they're both a bunch of notes. But one can help bring us closer to God than the other, and closer to a realisation of the divine. For me that's Palestrina. Stretching credulity a bit, for others it might be SClub7.

quote:
But thankfully a third group is forming, one in which people can appreciate that Jesus is both! (human and divine)

So Chalcedon was not wasted, after all. sigh

...now, off to ponder the deficiencies of the concept of mini-Incarnation...

quote:
Originally posted by Newman's Own:

...now, off to ponder the deficiencies of the concept of mini-Incarnation...

it's when you get a very small Saviour...

quote:
rachelwrote
I am after all a GLE, we read our bibles to the point of distraction at times - but how do you get from there to this idea really?

Are you sure about that? I thought GLEs only read small bits of the Bible to distraction, and then only as interpreted by John Stott.

quote:
Are you sure about that? I thought GLEs only read small bits of the Bible to distraction, and then only as interpreted by John Stott.

As opposed to GLACs who only read the bits in the prayer book, you mean?

The Bible's only an anthology of quotations from the English Missal, as anyone knows.

quote:
The Bible's only an anthology of quotations from the English Missal, as anyone knows.

LOL. Ahhh well, one inaccurate stereotype only deserves another.

(Besides, you living in Wales and all, you know very well that GLEs have nothing to do with John Stott. It's Martyn Lloyd-Jones all the way. Shame on you for not knowing that. )

Yoi! Fiddle and Wood, shut up would you. If you want to trade stereotypes then get yourselves over to Hell. You derailing the thread!

Thanks to Joan for getting it back on track.

bb

Rachel--one thing that hasn't quite come up here is that A-C liturgy done properly has the intention and the effect of making the servers, yes, and the sacred ministers, less conspicuous. They are, as it were, to be unobtrusive, almost, as it were, transparent, so that, for the whole congregation, only the rite is visible. In A-C worship, the personalities of all the vested and cotta'd folk utterly vanish---their piety is to do the liturgy plainly and devoutly, self-effaced. This is why for some of us the Anglo-Catholic way of worship is easier to walk in off the street to than a more evangelical style where the personalities of the people leading the worship tend to be more visible.

Posted by Chapelhead (# 1143) on :

Firstly, many thanks from the bottom of my (deeply Prot) heart to JtD and S3 for some posts that have not only had me LoL but have also given me a far greater appreciation of life at your end of the candle than any number of "the angriest person on the board wins the argument" rants (not that either of you would indulge in such things).

One thing that the sources I have found on the web have not answered about AC and RC practice is the theological significance (if any) of addressing priests as "Father". Is this simply a term of respect, or does it have some deeper significance. As a "so low church I have nearly fallen off the bottom" type I have trouble with this. Following Matthew 23:9 ('call no man father except your father in heaven') I don't feel able to call anyone on earth father, but being a good Anglican I don't want to offend anybody.

In a Baptist church I used to attend we got round the problem of what to call the minister by calling him "Rabbi". I presume that this would not be acceptable practice in AC circles.

I don't tend to call anyone 'Father' unless I'm being sarcastic, but that's just me. I think it's part of the whole 'family' thing - brothers and sisters in Christ, reverend fathers and mothers for those 'higher up the heirarchy' etc. I hate it, but for entirely personal reasons so not an argument

NB Chapelhead, if we follow Jesus' words, what ought we to call our biological dads??????

Posted by Benedictus (# 1215) on :

quote:
Oh my, S3, that's priceless!!!! Are the egg-shaped things assuming the server bodily into heaven?

I wondered the same thing; it seemed to be either an assumption or billowing clouds of incense, followed by the disappearance of the celebrant, from which I conclude that he is now passed out behind the altar.

As for the rest, as a long-time AC, I second everything JtheD said. I wish I could have said it as well myself.

My thanks to Joan for her contributions.....I was searching for words to try and keep this thread on track as it threatened to get derailed on secondary questions.The fundamental question is that of spirituality.....try as I would I could not define it to my satisfaction,so thanks Joan...I thought you started at least to give Rachel some beginnings of an answer.
The other thing is that I do have a life outside work and SOF.I can only briefly post lunch-times,usually only frivolously and I'm involved in two organisations on Monday and Thursday evenings so I can only usually post last thing,which doesn't do one any good.
Thanks too Amos.....I thought you put the ideals of liturgy very well.As a server I only wish I could attain those high standards however one can but try

quote:
Chapelhead, if we follow Jesus' words, what ought we to call our biological dads??????

As mine got cremated about twenty years ago, I might call him dusty (with apologies for the poor taste).

It's a good question though. I suppose if I had to try to give a good answer (surely not) I might suggest that the original line was only talking about non-biological fathers, but I'll admit it's not a great answer.

OK. Be warned. This post is VERY long. It has taken me an hour to write (I lost half of it once), so I do hope someone will read it….

There are some jokes, I promise….

quote:
The Lord be with you.
People And with thy spirit.
Celebrant Lift up your hearts.
People We lift them up unto the Lord.
Celebrant Let us give thanks unto our Lord God.
People It is meet and right so to do.
was clearly used by the early Church. And the
Eucharist was clearly central to worship.

I know the bit of liturgy you reference - it's one bit that the evos didn't throw out at any point!

However, when you talk about the Eucharist being central to worship, we start to diverge. As is clear from the following passage from Acts 2, the breaking of bread was central to both the early Christian community, and their worship:

They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.
Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles.
All the believers were together and had everything in common.
Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need.
Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts,
praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

What I don't understand is how we get from what I see here - the breaking of bread as part of a meal, at someone's home, with the fellowship - to a big, posh, ceremony. This is, for me, the missing link!

quote:

Take a look at the imagery
of the throne of God in the Book Revelations...Incense! Bowing! No happy-clappy stuff here! [Rev ch. 8]

Please tell me you're taking the mickey! Or do you seriously expect me to believe that you have a perfect interpretation of perhaps the most complicated book in the Bible. I've read this passage/passages, and I also see waving of palm branches, shoutings of Hallelujah, and fallings down onto faces in awe - all of which strike me as pretty happy-clappy to be honest.

Seriously there is awe, in our hearts, and in our worship you know. It may not be so obvious, but it's there.

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
1) Basically from Jesus' words at the Last Supper (see Matthew 26:26-8). He says 'Take this and eat; this is my body' and 'Drink from it, all of you. For this is my blood, the blood of the covenant, shed for many for the forgiveness of sins.'

2) Is it fun? I'm not sure, but then again I'm not an Anglo-Catholic. I can see that it could be very easy to get so caught up in the mechanics of it that you lose sight of the centre, this is particularly a problem for servers I suspect, but the visual nature is I think a very great strength. Protestantism is very much a literate religion (which is not necessarily

I may be Evo, but I'm not dim . I know what Jesus said at the last supper. Can I have some theology about different interpretations from someone?

quote:
Yes, some Anglo-Catholics do look down on evos, but then again many evangelicals are very unsure whether Anglo-Catholics are Christians at all, so there are faults on both sides. We all need to accept that there are different ways to worship and these different ways appeal to different people and enable them to express their worship. We need to value the diversity and accept each other.

I think I may have misphrased this question. What I meant was this:

Does the idea of the Real Prescence, and the awe and wonder that implies make the evangelical way of doing communion sacreligious in the eyes of a true AC? Or, would a true AC not see our communion as communion at all?

quote:
One further point about the prescribed roles is that liturgy ceases to become something that you say and becomes something that you are - you are a part of the liturgy, liturgy is much more than words, it is sights and smells and actions, very multi-sensory and very rich. I find this especially when I'm serving: my movements and actions in themselves are prayer.

First Joan, thankyou for your very erudite and helpful explanations throughout this thread, and particularly in your most recent post.

Secondly, I found what you said about your movements and actions becoming worship/prayer particularly interesting. Now, I am a genuine nutty Charismatic, although from the less nutty end of the spectrum - and this, amongst other things, means I move a lot, during worship. You may all laugh, but I do dance and wave my arms about. I also, often, kneel or bow. I don't generally go in for prostrating myself - but that's cos I'm too British and hence feel a leetle embarrassed about the whole thing. I do, often, feel an immense sense of awe and wonder at the greatness and goodness of God, and this is part of how I express it.

Now, I do wonder if, in this way the two opposite ends of the Anglican church - the ACs and my lot, are actually closer together than we think. You guys use your whole selves in worship - but in a ritualised way. We use our whole selves in worship, but in a slightly chaotic way. In many ways the gestures etc you guys make sound very natural to me - even if the shiny stuff, smelly stuff etc doesn't. Maybe we're not all that far apart - we just look at each other via the lot in the middle, who neither bounce around nor move symbolically, and hence the differences are emphasised over the similarities. What does anyone else think?

quote:

OK. We have actually discovered in another thread, that since I believe in evolution, rather than the 7 day creation, I am in fact a naughty evangelical, and not good at all. I am finding this revelation very stressful . Please don't tell me that I'm not a GLE for other reasons too. It may shake the whole fabric of my existence .

Seriously - not all that keen on John Stott. Find him slightly patronising. Prefer to do my own thinking where possible.

quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
Martyn Lloyd-Jones all the way. )

Who?

Oh dear I seem to be getting to be a W&WLE (worse and worse)!

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
Rachel--one thing that hasn't quite come up here is that A-C liturgy done properly has the intention and the effect of making the servers, yes, and the sacred ministers, less conspicuous.

In A-C worship, the personalities of all the vested and cotta'd folk utterly vanish---their piety is to do the liturgy plainly and devoutly, self-effaced. This is why for some of us the Anglo-Catholic way of worship is easier to walk in off the street to than a more evangelical style where the personalities of the people leading the worship tend to be more visible.

I actually like this idea. The cult of personality surrounding people like Matt Redmann does annoy me intensely .

Oh dear – getting worse by the second, aren’t I?

quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
Firstly, many thanks from the bottom of my (deeply Prot) heart to JtD and S3 for some posts that have not only had me LoL but have also given me a far greater appreciation of life at your end of the candle than any number of "the angriest person on the board wins the argument" rants (not that either of you would indulge in such things).

Vote of thanks seconded - the attitudes of JtD and S3 among others is precisely why I started this thread here.

OK. Tonight’s extra question:
Everyone has stressed the importance of awe and reverence in AC worship. I have in recent times been to both a Catholic mass – complete with what I believe may have been a monstrance – and an AC evening service. Now, I know this isn’t a big sample, but it’s all I’ve got. In both cases the Priest absolutely rattled through the liturgy as if the only thing on his mind was to get out and get some gin. The congregation – during there bits – seemed to be racing him to be out the door. In the RC mass, the liturgy was not even spoken together cos some people were going so fast. Is this common? It stuck me as highly irreverent! The one charge that I most frequently hear levelled at High worship is that it is empty ritual. Is that ever the case, and how can it best be avoided?

All the best,

Rachel.
(World’s worst GLE, but still hanging in there)

quote:
I may be Evo, but I'm not dim

Sorry didn't mean to imply that you were. And looking back at your post I realise I didn't read it properly. You said you knew about the Last Supper.

Actually I've been thinking about your question

quote:
What I need to know is when did God promise to be in the bread.
some more today and think that I want to turn it round. To me it's not a matter of God being in the Bread and Wine but the Bread and Wine becoming the Body and Blood of Christ, if you see the distinction which I'm trying to make.

As to Wood's comment

quote:
It's interesting that churches which promote literalist interpretations of Scripture tend to take this symbolically, while A/C churches (which often don't have literalist interpretations of scripture) take this literally.

I think the answer is tradition . Within the sola scriptura tradition it is taken symbolically whereas withing the catholic tradition it is more than symbol.

quote:
would a true AC not see our communion as communion at all?

Possibly not. I remember a sermon from an evangelical Anglican priest whereby he criticised some of those whom he trained with for making comments which questioned the validity of non-conformist communion, however in doing so he almost mocked the beliefs of those with higher Eucharistic theology and assumed that everyone present would agree with him - made me and a couple of friends feel very uncomfortable, despite the fact we didn't necessarily agree with the view of non-conformist communions expressed. Aargh, I'd forgotten about that until just then and I don't really want to go there but I failed to resist the chance to post it.

quote:
both cases the Priest absolutely rattled through the liturgy as if the only thing on his mind was to get out and get some gin.

That really really bugs me too. If you're going to use liturgy say it as though you mean it please.

Carys

Posted by Corpus cani (# 1663) on :

Oh please come and see a traditional liturgy! You can choose to ignore the ideas of bells, smells, choirs and all, but consider the theology of theatre:

Man separated himself from God so many times over the generations. God chose to rectify that problem by sending His Son to redeem us.

High Mass - the action happens far away, behind a closed gate. Having confessed our sins and sought God's forgiveness, we approach that gate in penance. We kneel before it - the closest we deserve to come to God; kneeling in penance before a closed gate and what happens? The body of Christ passes over that physical barrier; God reaches out beyond the barrier of our sin that holds us away from God and draws us into Himself.

Hate to sound dismissive of "eucharists in the round", for that is not what I mean to do, but I cannot easily dismiss the huge value of the imagery involved in a traditional mass. Mass in the round? Yeh, fine. It emphasises that Christ is amongst us, but so does the old way of doing it - I just find the "new way" a bit more shallow. If others find that the way to draw near to God - fine, but that's no reason to shut off we more image-based kinds.

I say all this because I figure "image-based" is what A-C-ism (how awful that sounds) is more about. Our differences are less in how we see God, and more in how we feel more comfortable in coming close to God. (Please note that I have avoided using the ghastly term "accessing God"!!!, like His Social Secretary is busy just now and can you call back...)

First of all, can someone tell me what is a GLE (I am assuming it does not mean Gay and Lesbian Evangelical).

Second,

quote:
Now, I do wonder if, in this way the two opposite ends of the Anglican church - the ACs and my lot, are actually closer together than we think

The answer is yes. At the risk of making a huge oversimplification of the theological differences, you have a hit a fundamental similarity -- A/Cs worship with their bodies, and so do you.

One way is formal and ritualised, one way is informal and spontaneous.

Please avoid words like empty. There are a lot of High churchmen who see the low church as a preserve of empty emotionalism.

One final thought. The Eucharist (or, if you like, the Mass) is prayer. The best prayer there is. I think the key to understanding Anglo Catholicism (or High Churchmanship in general) is not to think of the Eucharist as a complicated ritual, but to think of it as a way of praying.

HT (who is High Church, but not Anglo Catholic)

[who also cannot type!]

[ 07 December 2001: Message edited by: Hooker's Trick ]

quote:

I know the bit of liturgy you reference - it's one bit that the evos didn't throw out at any point!

Oops! I see I misunderstood something. You see in the U.S., this HAS been thrown out by evangelicals like Baptists and others. And the Lord's supper is celebrated once a quarter . Looking back at your original post, I see that you are currently attending an Anglican church. Forgive me for seeming pedantic then. I clearly don't know what "evo" means in British slang. Two nations separated by a common language!

quote:

Please tell me you're taking the mickey! Or do you seriously expect me to believe that you have a perfect interpretation of perhaps the most complicated book in the Bible. I've read this passage/passages, and I also see waving of palm branches, shoutings of Hallelujah, and fallings down onto faces in awe - all of which strike me as pretty happy-clappy to be honest.

I would never presume such a thing! I guess I
was trying to show there is ample precedent for incense and other such trappings of A/C in the Bible. I didn't mean to imply it was the ONLY way to worship. As I had hoped the
ending of my post made clear...I appreciate many forms of Christian worship...from Baptist Gospel services all the way to A/C high Mass. The church
I was a member of in California was Lutheran,
and celebrated liturgy in the round in a small redwood church. We used the Lutheran Book of Worship, the Book of Common Prayer, and several folk liturgies in rotation. I would never presume to say one is "better" than the other.

I am so used to Baptists telling all Catholics that they are going straight to Hell that I felt compelled to defend some
of the A/C practices.

-Iakovos

quote:
Originally posted by Hooker's Trick:

[qb] The answer is yes. At the risk of making a huge oversimplification of the theological differences, you have a hit a fundamental similarity -- A/Cs worship with their bodies, and so do you.

One way is formal and rutualised, one way is informal and spontaneous

Yes! Think of high mass as a beautiful, formal dance of praise. It IS a dance when done with feeling and care.

The more charismatic forms of worship are a dance too...perhaps more akin to modern dance.

quote:
One thing that the sources I have found on the web have not answered about AC and RC practice is the theological significance (if any) of addressing priests as "Father". Is this simply a term of respect, or does it have some deeper significance. As a "so low church I have nearly fallen off the bottom" type I have trouble with this. Following Matthew 23:9 ('call no man father except your father in heaven') I don't feel able to call anyone on earth father, but being a good Anglican I don't want to offend anybody.
As a GLE (gay and lesbian evangelical, thankyou HT - it is actually evangelical self-parody for 'good little evangelical'), I direct you to the biblical precedent of St Paul in 1 Co 4:14-16.

'I am not writing this to shame you, but to warn you, as my dear children. Even though you have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. Therefore I urge you to imitate me.'

Posted by Cosmo (# 117) on :

I've quite deliberately stayed off this thread but it has seemed to confirm what I have thought for a while and that is Anglo-Catholicism suffers by parody, misunderstanding and want of explanation.

We live in such a literalist world, a world where we demand scientific and conclusive proof and explanation for everything that the notion of symbolism is a difficult one to get across. Thus the most common charge against Ritual is that it is empty and formulaic, a means to pretend to worship God whilst not actually having to think it about it because it's all in a book (preferably Fortescue but Ritual Notes will do just as well).

What has happened in Anglo-Catholicism is that we have lost the realisation that the normative mass is the High Mass; that all the other sorts of masses and their different rituals come from the High Mass.

The High Mass is not a Low Mass with accretions but vice versa. The Low Mass is the High Mass with bits and pieces left out. We have lost this realisation for several reasons; partly a false modernism, a false notion of what 'partcipation' actually means, partly an inverse intellectual and cultural snobbism but also because it is difficult to do the High Mass well. It takes time, effort and manpower. And if the High Mass is done badly then it looks, sounds and comes across as awful and artificial.

If the High Mass is done well and the newcomer to the Mass is caught up in the beauty, ritual and symbolism of the Mass then it is much easier to explain why and how we do certain things and what they mean. It also makes the Low Mass (as well as things like Solemn Evensong and Benediction) much more understandable.

I'm sometimes criticised for explaining what the ritual means rather than the theology. The thing is that the two are inter-linked. If you explain why we do something (a gospel procession for example) in terms of ritual you also find you are explaining it theologically as well as without the theology there is no ritual. Joan and Sacredthree (although occasionally veering dangerously towards the liturgical and theological post-modernism which has dogged catholicism since the sixties) are quite correct when they talk of the Mass and the Ritual as being the vehicle of faith. Whilst the Mass can stand alone without widespread faith (after all it is Christ who offers himself at the mass upon the altar - we are not offering him up) we should recognise the mass as the prime act of the Church, the prime act of the Body of Christ. It also helps when the priest looks as though he believes it.

Cosmo

Cosmo (or anyone). One thing which I love about the Anglo-Catholic tradition is that it has a long history of standing alongside the most unfortunate in society. The 'slum priest' is a stereotype with a high degree of truth behind it. Would you say that Anglo-Catholicism has in many places lost this mission? Or perhaps it is just that this still happens but goes unnoticed, and so people are tempted to say about all the symbolism "Well, judge it by its fruits" (if you'll excuse the pun there).

Not where I am it hasn't!

Hasn't what? Hasn't got a history of social conscienciousness, or hasn't abandoned it.

Incidentally, I'm not stating anything as truth, just asking.

quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:
Oh please come and see a traditional liturgy! You can choose to ignore the ideas of bells, smells, choirs and all, but consider the theology of theatre:

I will come and see - at some point very soon. And now that I understand a bit better, I will probably get more from it. It is, in fact, surprisingly difficult to find out what it's all about in understandable terms. I have actually tried before - before I found this Ship - by asking RC or AC friends, and have got basically nowhere in my attempts to understand the reasons for the ritual. This is helping me a lot, guys. Thankyou!

quote:
Please avoid words like empty. There are a lot of High churchmen who see the low church as a preserve of empty emotionalism.

HT - would you and others please note that I did not say that I thought the ritual was empty. I said this was a charge I had heard levelled against AC-ism. Now, I know that for many of you the ritual is not empty at all, but full and rich in many ways. What I wanted to know was this:

If the participants in the ritual start to perform it out of habit - rather than out of love for and awe of God - does it then still have any meaning, or does it become empty? If I wave my arms around, jump up and down or whatever in Charismatic worship because (a) everyone else is and (b) I feel like a bit of action, then my movements are outwardly the same as those of someone who is really enthused and joyous about God, but inwardly empty. Is the same thing not possible in AC worship? If so how can one prevent this?

(I think how we may prevent emptiness in Charismatic arm-waving me be material for a different thread!)

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
I've quite deliberately stayed off this thread but it has seemed to confirm what I have thought for a while and that is Anglo-Catholicism suffers by parody, misunderstanding and want of explanation.

Trying to solve that is the reason I started the thread Cosmo. I do hope that I haven't worsened the situation!

quote:

Whilst the Mass can stand alone without widespread faith (after all it is Christ who offers himself at the mass upon the altar - we are not offering him up) we should recognise the mass as the prime act of the Church, the prime act of the Body of Christ. It also helps when the priest looks as though he believes it.

First - thankyou Cosmo, for your comments, which were most helpful.

Secondly, on this particular point - do you mean that if the rituals of the mass were "walked through" without faith they would not be meaningful, but with faith - or some or all of the participants - they become meaningful? Or am I misunderstanding you?

All the best,

Rachel.

PS… I may not be able to post very frequently over the next few days as I will be busy. Please do not think I have abandoned the thread.
R.

The question of the habitual is complicated, Rachel, largely, I think, because we are incarnate souls. An action becomes habitual when it becomes ingrained in the actions of the body and the unconscious mind. We can't rightly say that all habitual action is bad. To assume that what we do out of habit is necessarily empty can be to give complete priority to the actions of the conscious mind---which can create a sort of spiritual works-righteousness of the sort that drove Martin Luther nuts.
And then there are the situations when you absolutely do not feel like going through the liturgy, but you do it, out of habit as your duty, and your habit and your dutiful action become a way to God for someone else. Or you begin because this is the thing you do, saying the offices for instance, and as you kneel and pray, out of habit and duty, you are caught up to God.
I'd almost be inclined to say that it is habit that takes us to heaven or to hell.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rachel_o:
Martyn Lloyd-Jones all the way.

Who?

Oh dear I seem to be getting to be a W&WLE (worse and worse)!

Don't panic, Rachel. Martyn Lloyd Jones was a Welsh preacher who died, IIRC in the early 80s and who is to Welsh GLEs (particularly your 'chapel people') what people like John Stott etc. are to English GLEs.

Only much, much more so.

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

quote:
Matzo's use other stuff - salt etc.

Not the
ones I use (see top) -- I'm salt-sensitive.

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

I'm also Anglo-Catholic doctrinally (I believe in Real Presence, Apostolic Succession, etc.) and less High Church (tat) -- I do like High Church stuff ("thees and thous" rather than what the priest wears, which I hardly notice unless it's unusual) to some degree but it's the theology which matters most to me (see my post on "Catholic virgins"). I'd have no problem being dressed (or not at all! ) for a service if the priest were in Apostolic Succession, etc. and the context were appropriate.

I used to use specially coloured candles and incense and faced east and so on when I did my prayers at home a few years back, but I don't anymore, not least of which because smoke and scents in general (apart from vanilla candles, or one brand anyway) seem to affect me adversely.

First I must defend myself from a scandalous slur upon my good name. My dear Reverend Father in God, Cosmo sweetie just because I think different bits of reality are important from the ones you want to deal with does not make me a postmodernist. I am, after all, a Good Little Realist.

Rachel - yes, 'whole body' worship is a similarity. However, there are differences - spontaneity can have down-sides just as rigidity can. Taking part in ritual worship can do as Amos says - subsume the self into the corporate, which I said before is important for a church. Evo hand-waving is different because if everyone is waving as the Spirit moves them then they are not taking part in a bigger corporate action in as obvious a way.

The major difference though is - I would say - one of health and safety. If you fling yourself around as you wish then you have no idea as to when it stops being spiritual experience and becomes (potentially damaging) emotivism. People aren't 100% sane. People can't tell with 100% accuracy the difference between having a non-rational experience and acting irrationally. Having a liturgical tradition gives some guidelines on healthy spiritual behaviour, within which it's OK to worship God, you're not going to go potty

I feel quite strongly about this after two experiences in particular. The first was watching my mother dress up a mental breakdown as a spiritual crisis and doing some seriously insane things at various evo churches, which went along with what she said was happening. That was out of control in a BIG way, and God was not in control. The second is the last six months, when I've concurrently (and interlinked) had a breakdown and a strong experience of God. When the latter started I did not want to do anything about it because I was convinced that I was simply screwing with my own head and that it didn't come from God. Having a tradition and its liturgy has helped a lot to give me guidelines about what came from God, and what sort of actions are OK to do because people for hundreds of years have found that they're good and useful and not harmful or indicative of a disordered mental state. So I'm able to think it's OK to prostrate etc at the relevant bits, I'm not going OTT or nuts, so it actually frees me to be MORE demonstrative than if I was in a tradition that used spontaneity.

Did that make any sense? I'm aware of not having the words for most of what I'm saying on this thread (I'm completely untrained theologically, so I'm having to invent my own descriptions often).

quote:
Originally posted by Old Fashioned Crab:
Cosmo (or anyone). One thing which I love about the Anglo-Catholic tradition is that it has a long history of standing alongside the most unfortunate in society. The 'slum priest' is a stereotype with a high degree of truth behind it.

I fully agree with you, Crab - in fact, I cannot imagine a truly Catholic commitment without this. (I am not suggesting, of course, that it is exclusive to those who
serve in poor parishes - but the concern for the unfortunate, expressed either in directly working with them or in supporting their needs and rights, is essential.)

I must add that, in modern times, the Roman Catholic concept of subsidiarity, concern for the labouring classes, statements regarding social justice, and the like were wonderful and highly progressive. This, joined to a centuries-old tradition of the Church's caring for the poor, sick, elderly, et al, is , I believe, an important part of every ministry. Intending no disrespect to the Reformed traditions - it seems to me that, where they placed emphasis on moral reformation of society, it was too easy to slip into a very "individual" concept of responsibility. We are a Church - as a whole - and trying to give the example of a devout or moral life is not enough. Concern for the needy, and some active response to this, is a part of our faith. (Quite a contrast to the idea that people will not allow themselves to be needy if they know they'll die in the street if they do...)

Of course, this working class kid does sometimes smile at the naivete of some of the early Anglo-Catholics, who came from more prosperous backgrounds. Their intentions were the best, but... well, people whose children were working in factories hardly wanted this to be the case, but survival had demanded it - so just making that illegal did not solve the problem.

To be honest with you Rachel,those services you went to would have irritated me too.There are few things I dislike more than having someone rattling through a service.I completely agree with Carys here
A fixed liturgy can become mechanical...you know going through the motions.It need not be so though and one of the advantages I find with a fixed liturgy is that it enables me to prepare myself for what is going to happen.I think the person taking the service,be it priest reader or whatever should be very aware of the words in the liturgy and the fact that they mean something.....
Liturgy at its worst is truly awful.Liturgy at its best is truly aweful,ie awe-inspiring,and a means to worship God.However I realise that this approach is not for everyone and one of the advantages of Christianity is that it's so broad.
I do not think that looking down one's nose at Evangelicals or Anglo-Catholics is acceptable....
Incidentally I was interested to read of your views re evolution.Learning is not a one-way process
Right- off to read a thread on William of Ockham....!!

Rachel,
Were you interested solely in the forms of worship, or in points of theological emphasis that are generally more Catholic? Actually, I think the latter are more distinctive, but I don't want to mention these at any length unless you're interested.

Incidentally, some of the Anglicans I know (including some priests) who are the most Catholic in their thinking are not particularly inclined towards tat. (I'm "low to moderate tat" myself - so in love with Christ as King of Kings that I am crazy for incense, for example, but not one likely to give much thought to folded chasubles or maniples.)

quote:
Joan and Sacredthree (although occasionally veering dangerously towards the liturgical and theological post-modernism which has dogged catholicism since the sixties) are quite correct when they talk of the Mass and the Ritual as being the vehicle of faith.

Thank you Cosmo, although I wouldn't describe myself as veering towards post-modernism, or even embracing post-modernism, rather as embodying post-modernism ...

It was after all my post-modernism that attracted me to the catholic tradition in the first place.

[I make the sign of the cross as one does when confronted with anything particularly evil]

quote:
Rachel,
Were you interested solely in the forms of worship, or in points of theological emphasis that are generally more Catholic?

I was in contact with Rachel yesterday, and she said "I have discovered that what I really need is a Beginners Guide to AC theology, rather than to AC tat".

I have mentioned it because she has also said that she will not be able to check on this thread for a couple of days.

NO, (and others) please feel free to take this thread more into the theology. If you can, please try to keep the language fairly ordinary rather than theological.

I am finding this a very fascinating thread. Thanks to all who have been taking part.

bb
----
MW Host

With the caveat that my explanations may be awkward, perhaps setting forth a few points may be helpful. I am not suggesting that all Christians who are not of a Catholic set would hold the views I mention below - I am merely referencing elements of certain varieties of Reformed theology or viewpoints I have encountered. And I must add that one well may meet individual Catholics whose attitudes do not coincide with the underlying theology which I shall mention.

Some Reformed theology sees mankind as basically wicked (as a result of the fall, however one defines that.) In the extreme, all of creation is somewhat dangerous - if not wicked in itself, holding the potential to draw us away from God. The earthly life is a test of sorts - and a singular event of being "saved" is the way that one will avoid damnation.

In a Catholic perspective, we are weak and sinful, but still possess a longing for God. Contrary to what one may think, the focus is not at all on avoiding hell (or hoping for heaven, not that we do not!), but on intimacy with God that begins here. (Even in the Middle Ages, when the idea of purgatory was so dominant, there actually was more fear of some sort of purifying punishment after death than of eternal damnation.) There is a very strong sense of the Church encompassing not only what is on earth but what there is in heaven. (Obviously, this would make those who think we are "nowhere" until the Last Judgement shudder.)

If a Catholic asks the intercession of saints, for example, this is by no means any sign of thinking one needs "mediators," or that one cannot "approach God directly." Just as love includes praying for others during this life, our friends in heaven do the same. The Church is timeless, and even our worship does not unite us only with those in the pew but with all of those before.

Even the most prolific theologians could not have pondered the points they did without the underlying knowledge that our vision is limited - in the end, God's ways can never fully be grasped by us. We cannot say "those who didn't accept Christ are damned," nor "we know everyone is saved," just to borrow ideas that, actually, are far more popular in some Protestant circles. We need to respond to God's love, certainly with integrity, with what we believe, but cannot limit our perception of how divine grace may work.

Catholics emphasise sacraments - but neither see them as magical formulae nor believe that those with another emphasis are less holy than we are.

"Holy" is another key word. (No, we do not think we necessarily are holy - only trying... sometimes very trying!) Perhaps the largest point of confusion during the Reformation and beyond was that over "justification." There is no question that we are united to God through His grace, not by our own actions. But we are not called to just "salvation" (too often reduced to merely avoiding a fiery destiny in popular thought) but to holiness. God made us free, and, while His grace is what gives us the capacity for love, love involves a free response to be genuine. Our "works" are not a means to obtain salvation, but a way of sharing the love and removing obstacles which we place in the way of the intimacy with God. (Only God forgives sin, for example, but we seldom do not need to change things in our own lives to set them back in line with the gospels.)

One key Catholic point is that, while Scripture is primary (and, indeed, sacramental... but I'd best not get off on that tangent), divine revelation is dynamic. The Incarnation, for example, was not some far off event, but continues for eternity. Christ continues, by the power of the Holy Spirit, to reveal truth through His Church. (Roman Catholics would say through the magisterium - Anglicans would not have a clear "how," but revelation does end in the first century.) Certainly, the very first Christians, from a Jewish background that had no concept of Trinity as one example, did not have this truth announced to them on the first Easter - divine revelation requires some allowance for our human limitations. From the beginning, what happened in the time of the gospel was not all that a Christian could believe.

Catholicism does not see one's prosperity (health, worldly goods, whatever) as an indication of divine favour or its lack. This is important in the commitment to the disadvantaged which Crab referenced earlier. One's poverty, health, or circumstances are in no way signs of one's relationship with God. (Not denying, of course, that some suffering in any life is the consequence of sin - whether one's own or that of others.) Nor are we "here" merely to be concerned about our own salvation. I would say that the hallmarks of Catholic theology are both that "we're all in this together," and that the "kingdom of God", however more intense it may be in an afterlife, is also present here!

The commandments, an aspect of divine revelation, are certainly important,and there is no question that much of the intimacy is hampered by our own sinfulness. However, creation is good, and its enjoyment is as well. It is far from the concern that some of the Reformation era had that we were so basically wicked that even having leisure would lead us to become rowdy, drunken rogues.

I shall stop here, because I've already written quite enough. I hope that it has been fairly clear.

Nunc,
Here is one brief quote from Macquarrie, just to whet the appetite. In this context, he is referring to the Eucharist, and "this material world as one in which God, as its author, uses the things of the world to mediate his presence and grace." It is on page 156 of the book I previously mentioned:

"It is the kind of world in which a wafer can be the sign, or perhaps I should say the shrine, of Christ's presence. Whatever theory of presence we hold - transubstantiation, transvaluation, transignification, even Tillich's theory of symbolism which allows the participation of the symbol in the reality which it symbolises - as long as it remains within the eucharistic context and the eucharistic community, that bread is for us the bread that comes down from heaven for the life of the world. And this...is not merely something for our contemplation. Christ is not confined to the eucharistic bread or even to the church. He is not the 'prisoner of the tabernacle.' ...George MacLeod used to watch the grain ships bringing their cargoes of wheat into Liverpool harbour, and he reflected that the wheat has the potentiality of becoming the body of Christ. This is (where) sacramental theology spills over into the market place. Bread is not a mere commodity; things are not mere bits of matter. We can learn some of this from natural theology, but we learn it above all from Jesus Christ, the bread of God which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."

quote:
Thank you Cosmo, although I wouldn't describe myself as veering towards post-modernism, or even embracing post-modernism, rather as embodying post-modernism ...

It was after all my post-modernism that attracted me to the catholic tradition in the first place.

It's possible though isn't it to be an A/C or even moderately High without being a Post-Modernist?
Although from what I know (admittedly little) Post-Modernism does seem to make points worth noting,I do get the impression that there is an element of a "flight from reason" which I find a bit worrying......
On another note I think that what Rachel probably does need are posts of a theological nature, rather than "tat",an expression I'd not come across outside SOF before.It's only too easy to get bogged down in arcane details of ceremonial,interesting though they are....

Oh, hang on, are we talking ontological or epistemic postmodernism? FWIW, Cosmo's only insulted me if he was calling me an ontological postmodernist

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

Okay, I'm confused. Rachel starts a thread asking about Anglo-Catholicism, and folks discuss tat and the theology of tat.

Then Hooker's Trick says he's high church but not Anglo-Catholic -- pardon my ignorance as one who has been an Episcopalian for only eight years and who hasn't been to a lot of different Episcopal churches, but I honestly have always gotten the impression that high church and Anglo-Catholic were synonymous.

Then Chastmastr says Anglo-Catholicism has to do with theological things like the real presence and high church has to do with tat. But I was taught (in my apparently woefully inadequate confirmation class) that belief in Christ's presence in the elements of the eucharist is standard Anglicanism; though Anglicanism is rather vague about just how this happens, it happens. And now I'm told that Anglicans don't believe this? Since I do believe in the real presence I'm Anglo-Catholic? Despite the fact that I'm in a parish that only has incense on major feasts (Christmas, Easter, Pentecost, the feast day of our patron saint, maybe a few others)?

If anyone knows of an Episcopal parish in the Los Angeles area that is very properly high church, please let me know and I'll go visit -- that might clear up some of this for me.

To clear up your first point, Ruth you forget this is MW: all threads become discussions about tat sooner or later .

On a slightly more serious note, tat is the visible, public side of AC'ism, so if you're not into linear exposition (I'm not - that's what I meant that 'epistemological postmodernism' is not an insult to me ) then it makes a good entry place into explaining the whole shebang.

And Rachel asked about tat in her second post and it kinda went from there .

Ruth has raised an excellent question, and one I think very worth pursuing. I must admit that, when I read some of the threads here (and there is no salt in my saying this), I'm not even sure that I'm Anglo-Catholic by some definitions. (Of course, since I can never resist an opportunity to be a little silly, I'm tempted to say that one who is "merely" High Church would name himself after Richard Hooker, where one totally Catholic would name herself after Newman... and that, where the Catholic think the 39 articles were aimed at the Puritans, the low churchmen think they were aimed at us.)

Actually, Ruth, where the (very heated!) discussions (a mild term!) over "High," "Low" and "Catholic" had huge distinctions (with which there was involvement at the highest levels...) a century or even forty years ago, there really are not such clear-cut distinctions any longer, nor do practises have the implications they once had (religious or political). It's all the more confusing since much of the Roman Church is no longer "High," and since (why do I sense I'm going to be at least whacked for saying this?) the ARCIC led to much agreement between Canterbury and Rome on such matters as the sacraments. (I make my share of jokes about the fathers of the Oxford Movement, but admire them greatly - they were equally placed on the rack, often enough, by those in their own sister church and by Romans.)

I've already defined my Catholicism a bit (lots of ecclesiology there) - but I am very interested in hearing others explain what distinction they see.

Posted by Jus (# 1783) on :

How does one define high church? Is it liturgy or theology that makes a particular communion high/low? I am asking this because Newman's Own said that much of the RC Communion is no longer considered high. This seems to me then that the distinction of high/low would be liturgy rather than beliefs because I don't think that our beliefs vary considerably from high CoE, but one can usually find "folk" masses and congregational singing at the majority of RC parishes whereas Palestrina and plainchant and solemn vespers tend to be confined only to certain places Westminster Cathedral and Brompton Oratory.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
If anyone knows of an Episcopal parish in the Los Angeles area that is very properly high church, please let me know and I'll go visit -- that might clear up some of this for me.

Try St Thomas Hollywood. VERY high, loads of tat and a superb choir too

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
.....I honestly have always gotten the impression that high church and Anglo-Catholic were synonymous.

No,not necessarily.18th century High Church people were not Anglo-Catholics
I tend to think of it - no doubt frivolously - of A/C ism being table d'hote whereas High Church is a la carte

Stephen, your definition is wonderful. I suppose one matter under discussion currently is whether either is at the bishop's table.

Incidentally, my question is quite close to that of Jus. Do we define ourselves as Catholic based on liturgy or theology?

I think that's a difficult one.I think I would be inclined to say that theology comes first and liturgy comes out of that theology but not always the case as in Low Roman Catholic churches who would have a thorough acceptance of transubstantiation - although I suppose the reverse could happen.....if a RC parish went for "Low" practices I suppose that would be reflected in its theology.....
In my case although I would regard myself as leaning towards High Anglicanism,I would hesitate to call myself an A/C.A la carte again!Likes vestments,crosses oneself not too keen on incense.Doesn't feel the need to ask for the prayers of saints but thinks they're important as an example and thinks their feast days should be observed when possible.Believes in consubstantiation rather than transubstantiation.Has reservations over some Marian doctrines [to put it kindly].Look,what is this the confessional???
I think the difference between a Catholic (Anglo or RC)and a High Anglican is that the Catholic is more inclined to accept doctrine as a unity.....the High Anglican is more sceptical perhaps and inclined to ask questions over such and such rather than accepting tradition in its entirety?

I tend to use the terms as High Church meaning the use of bells-and-smells type liturgical practice, and Catholic as describing a spirituality and a way of tackling theological issues. Catholicism can lead to high-church worship and to acceptance of the various dogmas (woof woof) - but IMHO not necessarily.

My own view is that I'm a high church person who's become a Catholic (through being initially snared by high-church worship). I find it a way of worship and spirituality that is very useful to me. I don't accept it all 'in a lump' (this is, I think, one of the strengths of Anglo-Catholicism - you don't have to go for full-on transubstantiation and Marian devotion if you don't want to, but you're still an AC. IMHO ) - I take what's useful, and not the rest. I regard the richness of the tradition as saying "these are all the things that people in the past have found good and useful and not harmful. See which ones work for you". It's like someone whose opinion you trust recommends something, so you try it and persevere for a bit and see if it rings your sanctus bell.

So what do I see as particularly AC in theological method and spirituality? Method is what I set out before - dear old Scripture, reason (incl experience) and tradition. As I've said elsewhere, this is the theology version of the model of rational truth-seeking that I use in all areas of my life (eg my work - physics).

Spirituality is more complicated, and I'm still very much a baby as far as it's concerned. It's very much tied up with the idea that Christianity encompasses the whole of your life - work, leisure the lot. The whole of you is on a journey, you're growing and changing, and your perception of God is going to grow and change to. A lot of traditional stuff is to help on this journey, even when looking just at theology says it's unnecessary. Confession is the primary example - AC's don't have to, and the General Confession in any service carries the same amount of weight, so what's the point? But my goodness is it useful to some people (me included). Spiritual direction is another thing there to help us grow and develop. Personal devotion (rosary etc) are there if we need structure in prayer.

I'm not sure if I can put this next in a non-insulting way, but this point is important for me so I'll try. This is all IN MY EXPERIENCE/OPINION. I'm not out to upset people, it's that this is how things come across to me. Is that enough caveats?
Basically, I find Catholic spirituality to be grown-up spirituality, calm, experienced, wise and with depth. It meets people where they are - God is a God of unbearable pain as well as joy, knowing all sides of life. We don't have to be happy-clappy with God, being in God's presence doesn't magically make everything better. It meets us where we are with love rather than judgement, helping us to get closer to God starting at where we are, rather than condemning us for not being perfect and saying there is no chance of change. It recognises that our lives are dynamic, and that the aim is to get better than we are, in the knowledge that we can always be better, rather than forever grinding us down by yelling at us for not being there already. Ultimately, God is a God of love, not judgement. Which is the God I read about in the Bible, and the God I perceive.

The traditional understanding is that our prayer and the way we pray precedes and underlies our theology, not the other way round. Can someone whose Latin is better than mine provide the precise Latin?----Something about "orandi" and "credendi" as I recall.

Ruth W:

Some other possibilities:

Ascension, Sierra Madre
St. Mary, Palms area of West L.A.
Blessed Sacrament, Placentia
St. Nicholas, Encino

St. Philips, South Cental L.A. may still be A/C

St. Mary of the Angels, Hollywood/Los Feliz, once an A./C. shrine, is now a thriving splinter group. Holy Apostles, Glendale, once more Catholic than the Pope, splintered and is either terminal or dead. I think the same thing happened to Our Saviour, Wilshire corridor.

I would consider St. James, Wilshire, to be the last remaining high church in L.A., and even it may be motr now. I am not very familiar with the four churches in Long Beach, but I seem to recall that St. Luke's was rather high several years ago. I would guess that you attend All Saints.

Greta

Ruth W:

I'm totally confused on the Long Beach churches. I now think All Saints is A./C. with a twist of evangelicalism. Is St. Luke's the big neo-gothic pile that used to have a boy choir? Years ago, when I visited it, I had the impression that it was quite high, yet I have a feeling that it is your church, unless you are a baseball fan and attend St. Thomas.

Greta

Greta

On High church and Anglo-Catholicism.

High and Low church existed prior to the Oxford movement, in fact the EA (so loved by many evangelicals ) developed as a reaction to the Anglo-Catholic revival. You can have High church Methodists, High church Lutherans, High Church URC, but they are not Metho-Catholics or whatever.

Anglo-Catholicism today has a lot to do with Spirituality, but it is also theological. What lead me to Anglo-Catholicism was a rejection of the idea that the Church had been a complete cock ever since the early church that had only been restored in the 1970s / 1900's / Reformation. So being catholic to me is saying that God has been at work growing his church for 2000 years, not making it perfect, but making living tradition important. The other thing that lead me to catholicism was rejecting the leader + converts view of church to a wider understanding of what Priesthood is, both as church as priesthood and as individuals ordered by the church to represent that.

Anyone who has read as widely as me (grin) in Evangelicalism will know that such views can be found within broad and liberal evangelicalism. It is rare though. I found one church that shared my ideas in the whole of the UK, and they were probably a wee bit too charismatic for me. There are real Liberal Evangelicals Anglican churches about but lots of people seem to call themselves that and then are not.

What clinched it for me I suppose was the Liturgy. After years of being one of the brave ones who would go up the front and pray and prophesy all of a sudden everyone in the gathering could say something TOGETHER! I almost cried. I was already fairly "High" in my worship due to my interest in creative worship.

On a personal note I still enjoy Low church worship, I have been known to wave my hands, and find speaking in tongues helpful (as many Catholics have done for 2000 years!). I find a some evangelical teaching painful, but I always did. Evangelical heroes include Pinnock, Peirse and Brow.

quote:
The traditional understanding is that our prayer and the way we pray precedes and underlies our theology, not the other way round. Can someone whose Latin is better than mine provide the precise Latin?----Something about "orandi" and "credendi" as I recall.

Just put 'lex' in front of each word and you've got it.

Lex orandi lex credendi!

Thanks, Father!

Heard in a sermon in a prominent Washington parish:

"It is often observed in these days that Christians, like Muslims, are people of the Book. That is untrue. We are not people of a book. We are people of an encounter. 2000 years ago, humanity encountered as much of God as we could stand, and that was Christ Jesus. The Anglican Church prolongs and recreates that encounter. We re-encounter Christ when we are baptised into his death, when we are absolved of our sins, and when we make our Communion, day by day, week by week, over the whole history of the life of the Church."

This may help to explain the emphasis some of us place on the sacraments.

HT

Hooker, that quote is marvellous - astonishing. Thank you!

I know you do not describe yourself as Anglo-Catholic, but you've managed to provide one of the most truly Catholic explanations on the thread.

Hi Everyone,

I'm back - for this evening at least. I've got a nasty cold after my weekend's exertions but, buoyed up by Lemsip with honey, I think I may be able to make some cogent responses to this thread. If it all comes out as gobbledegook forgive me.

quote:
Rachel - yes, 'whole body' worship is a similarity. However, there are differences - spontaneity can have down-sides just as rigidity can. Taking part in ritual worship can do as Amos says - subsume the self into the corporate, which I said before is important for a church. Evo hand-waving is different because if everyone is waving as the Spirit moves them then they are not taking part in a bigger corporate action in as obvious a way.

So where is the middle way? Is there a way of “doing church” which both allows the individual to express the way in which the spirit is touching them, and involves big corporate actions at the same time ?

quote:
I feel quite strongly about this after two experiences in particular.

I can understand how your experiences have affected your thinking here, and in some ways you may be right. My personal reaction, however, is that although, yes, the type of “spirit-lead” worship to which I am used can go badly wrong, it is important to try and allow God to have His way with a congregation as with an individual, and hence trying to constrain/control charismatic worship would be disrespectful to His awesome power. Having said that, there are ways in which safeguards can and should be put in place to prevent abuse of this freedom, if a Charismatic Evo congregation is serious about God, rather than just up for a dizzying and weird experience or several. More on this perhaps in the E/P for Beginners thread.

quote:
With the caveat that my explanations may be awkward, perhaps setting forth a few points may be helpful.

Thankyou Newman’s Own for your explanations, which far from being awkward have been most helpful. The confusing thing is that whilst I set out expecting to disagree with you, I mostly found myself nodding and saying “Yes, I’d go with that” as I read your post. Please, everyone, realise, that I am talking from the point of view of my personal theology here, not from an “official” Evangelical standpoint.

quote:

In a Catholic perspective, we are weak and sinful, but still possess a longing for God. Contrary to what one may think, the focus is .... on intimacy with God that begins here.

Leaving aside your comments about heaven for now, partly because I’m not sure where I stand, I would absolutely agree with the idea that whilst we have all sinned, we still all yearn for God, and that the focus of our Christian lives should be an intimacy with God in the now, rather than a completion of a personal checklist of tasks to get us into heaven.

quote:
If a Catholic asks the intercession of saints, for example, this is by no means any sign of thinking one needs "mediators," or that one cannot "approach God directly." Just as love includes praying for others during this life, our friends in heaven do the same.

This is at least, to me, an acceptable explanation of the whole talking to Saints business. Again, I don’t want to sidetrack this thread onto the temporal relation of earth to heaven. Even ignoring that point, I still don’t quite understand this. If I heard of a particularly lovely vicar on the other side of the world, but had never met him, I might admire him, but I would not consider asking him to pray for me as a friend. After all, he doesn’t know me. So, why do you feel close enough to the saints to ask them to pray for you? And, why can’t you ask your loved ones who have gone to heaven ahead of you to pray for you?

quote:

One key Catholic point is that, while Scripture is primary (and, indeed, sacramental... but I'd best not get off on that tangent), divine revelation is dynamic.

OK, so I’m a charismatic – at least in theory – and therefore have to agree with the idea of God continuing to reveal stuff to us. And, incidentally, I do think Communion is very important. Where possible, I like to take communion once a week. This is partly because I believe Jesus commanded us to remember him in this way, and partly because I feel that through Communion the Spirit can work within us, and reveal Christ to us more clearly – partly because this is an act we perform in obedience to him. I know this isn’t the same as believing in the Real Prescence, but it may be as close as I can get.

quote:
Catholicism does not see one's prosperity (health, worldly goods, whatever) as an indication of divine favour or its lack.

Nor in any healthy form should Protestantism (IMO).

quote:
Lex orandi lex credendi!

The whole question of the differences and similarities between the terms High Church and Anglocatholic have left me entirely confused I'm afraid, so I shall leave you all to decide what’s what!

In the meantime, some more questions:

1) What do ACs think about Mary, and how does this differ from the RC viewpoint?
2) Do any AC churches have confessionals, like RC churches do?
3) What is the significance of (a) processions, (b) alters and (c) rood screens?

Thanks again for all your help,

All the best,

Rachel.

Newman's Own: Would it surprise you to know that the quote was heard in a semon delivered during Mattins?

Apologies about the High Church/Anglo-Catholicism confusion. I knew I shouldn't have trod there. To the vast majority, High Church and Anglo-Catholic are synonymous.

However (as with everything) there are exceptions. I wonder if our Edward (sacred trois) would describe himself as Anglo-Catholic but not High.

And there are some High Churchmen who uphold ceremonial, sacramentalism (and are usually Prayer-Book fanatics) who would not describe themselves as "catholic".

But that's all esoterica.

HT

quote:
I wonder if our Edward (sacred trois) would describe himself as Anglo-Catholic but not High.

I was gonna answer this post ... but then i got high ...

oooohoooo

<ahem>

Sorry.

I think I am probably both. I am just very liberal liturgicaly.

Now what on earth have you been drinking S3???It is I who has been to Christmas dinner.Sober as a judge....hic!!
Right try to be serious....as a GLHCP......
I thought that Joan's post on scripture,reason,and tradition/experience expressed fairly closely where I'm at,but because I'm an a la carte person,I hesitate before calling myself a "Catholic".....it may give people ideas that are not quite right!
I liked HT's last post....I suspect our positions are very similar,although I'm not a BCP "fundamentalist" for want of a better word.
I realise this may be a bit confusing for Rachel but what I think I would say is that whilst there are different views within Evangelicalism - some accept evolution,others don't as one example - so also there are within "High" Church Christianity......and that's human nature I'd guess

What is a GLHCP (sounds like the noise you make when you've had too much to drink - which may be true tonight in your case, Stephen, but I'm sure that's not what you really meant by it)

GLHCP=Good Little High Church Person
I used to think I was a GLN but I now realise I was wrong all along and am really a GLR

Aaaargh, I can't keep up with all these abbreviations! I only speak Long. I reckon you're all only doing it to be annoying (and succeeding!)

quote:
The whole question of the differences and similarities between the terms High Church and Anglocatholic have left me entirely confused I'm afraid, so I shall leave you all to decide what’s what!</QB>
Rachel, even those of us who call ourselves Anglo-Catholic or High Church can be equally confused!

[QUOTE][QB]
1) What do ACs think about Mary, and how does this differ from the RC viewpoint?
2) Do any AC churches have confessionals, like RC churches do?
3) What is the significance of (a) processions, (b) alters and (c) rood screens?

In answer to one question that I did not quote - I'm afraid I'm at loss to explain it, but I do feel very close to our heavenly friends - and not only those "raised to the altars," but my personal friends whose earthly lives have ended.

Mary: Many of us are devoted to her, as you would see from other threads on the Ship. However, we are not likely to accept all of the RC dogmas related to Mary - Immaculate Conception, Assumption - and, even amongst those who do, would not want to see anything imposed as an article of belief that does not have a scriptural basis. By contrast (well, at least in theory), RCs must accept these dogmas as a part of divine revelation.

Many Anglicans find sacramental confession valuable (as I do), but there is no obligation of confession in the Anglican Church. Roman Catholics, if they are conscious of a grave sin committed with full reflection and consent, are supposed to make sacramental confession of the sin before they next take Holy Communion (or at least make their act of contrition with the intention of making sacramental confession.) Some Anglo-Catholic churches do have the Roman-style confessional (St Mary's, Bourne Street, for example)... quite frankly, one Roman furnishing that I do not miss. (Part of what is strengthening in the action of sacramental confession is the sense of not being alone with the grief - and there aren't too many places where one feels more alone than in a close, dark box where one cannot even see the priest.)

The rest I'll leave to others on the board - who are far more tat-expert than I.

quote:
The whole question of the differences and similarities between the terms High Church and Anglocatholic have left me entirely confused I'm afraid, so I shall leave you all to decide what’s what!

It's left me fairly confused too. To further muddy the waters, I'd describe myself as quite High, and Catholic even, but I'm not an Anglo-Catholic.

I think the problem is how we are using the terms. To me, Anglo-Catholic implies the tat and the concern with ritual which leaves me cold, though I love liturgy and theologically I'm quite high in that I'm sacramental and my spirituality is more Catholic than anything. I think that HT's position might be similar from what he's said but he's using AC in a different way to me, I think we may even be using High and Anglo-Catholic the opposite way around.

Does that make any sense? Or have I just confused you all further?

Carys

To me High Church is not as strong a term as Anglo-Catholic;the latter seems to imply accepting the whole lot the former more a la carte
I think I'm confused now....

"Ritualism" is the usual derogatory term for tat-loving.

Which actually relates to ceremonial and not to ritual!

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
Ruth W:

I'm totally confused on the Long Beach churches. I now think All Saints is A./C. with a twist of evangelicalism. Is St. Luke's the big neo-gothic pile that used to have a boy choir? Years ago, when I visited it, I had the impression that it was quite high, yet I have a feeling that it is your church, unless you are a baseball fan and attend St. Thomas.

Greta

Greta, you seem to know Long Beach's Episcopal Churches quite well!

St. Thomas' lost its chief Dodger fan -- Greg Larkin was called to St. Columba's in Camarillo earlier this year. All Saints are Baptists with liturgy. I go to St. Luke's, which is a neo-gothic pile that used to have a fantastic boys' choir.

And I thought we were comparatively high, but I'm not sure since my experience is so limited. And what is generally described as high-church practice in MW sounds like what we do at Christmas, Easter and Pentecost, not every Sunday. We have Evensong monthly, if that counts for being high. When I was out of town last Christmas the Christmas Eve service I went to made me realize that not everyone knows how to put on the elaborate formal service -- I had taken it for granted.

Greta and Spike: Thank you for the recommendations of AC places with tat -- I'll check one of them out and see how my parish compares.

Posted by Anna B (# 1439) on :

In response to Rachel's question about confessionals, which I cannot figure out how to quote without making a mess, my parish has them.

(Oh, goodness, now you all are perfectly equipped to zero in on me, because there is only one Episcopal church between New York and Boston that does.)

Rumor has it that occasionally the sisters from a nearby R.C. convent bring their novices here to see the confessionals, all the while stage-whispering, "This is how it USED to be!"

I'm not certain how often they are used. I myself am preparing for sacramental confession---my first, at age 32!---and I know I'd really rather not go in there. It does seem as though it would not help any with what promises to be a very intense encounter.

Ultraspike can tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe St Ig's has some built into the wall.

St Luke's Evanston has a few shoved in the transepts -- I've never seen them used.

Sacramental confession is probably one of those things that divides a High Churchman from an Anglo-Catholic.

quote:

Sacramental confession is probably one of those things that divides a High Churchman from an Anglo-Catholic.

Yes,I think you're right.I wouldn't say I would never use it,but the matter would have to be serious.I wouldn't do it on a regular basis.
However the C-i-W has a form of Confession in its BCP and the practice seems to be retained in the Order of the Visitation of the Sick in 1662.It is also mentioned in one of the Exhortations at the 1662 Eucharist,IIRC

quote:
However the C-i-W has a form of Confession in its BCP and the practice seems to be retained in the Order of the Visitation of the Sick in 1662.It is also mentioned in one of the Exhortations at the 1662 Eucharist,IIRC

Well in the introduction to the form of confession in the C-i-W BCP (1984) it says, 'The practice of confessing to God in the presence of a Priest, under the seal of secrecy, was retained at the Reformation in the Book of Common Prayer and in subsequent revisions of that book'. I discovered this yesterday when I started reading the tables and rules and things in the BCP (1984), though not having an English BCP I can't look and find these forms in it.

I doubt I'd ever use auricular confession regularly but I like the BCP(1984)'s explanation of it's use, 'Those who fail by themselves to find peace of mind can, if penitnt, be assured of God's forgiveness through the exercise of this ministry. Here, too, is the opportunity to ask for informed counsel when in doubt or difficulty.'

Carys

Sorry for the double post, but having posted the above I thought about the reaction of most of the C-i-W priests I know, were I to go to them and ask whether I could make use of this form in the prayer book. Seeing as the majority are evangelical - and often strongly so - I think it would be interesting (and probably amusing), though one of them likes the prayer book a lot so might accept it as it's there, another, I suspect, would be utterly horrified!

Carys

Posted by anglotat (# 1689) on :

Hullo...

Having been brought up a Crade Catholic, we were made to go to confession at school regularly. What the Nuns told us and what the ordinal says may be different, but we were given cards on which to write out our sins, so we wouldn't forget to mention them in the confessional. Horrid as it may seem, it is a sobering experience. Spending some time doing this, and then actually having to say your sins out loud may not affect God's forgiveness, but it certainly increaces one's own penitence!

quote:

...I thought about the reaction of most of the C-i-W priests I know, were I to go to them and ask whether I could make use of this form in the prayer book. Seeing as the majority are evangelical .. it would be interesting .. though one of them likes the prayer book a lot so might accept it as it's there ...

In the days of the Church Traveller's Directory, with its useful DSCR coding, there were some funny outliers: most, as far as I recall, were unexpected C's, and were signs of strict prayer book incumbents.

For instance, my local parish church has a rather dated notice reciting the prayer book rubric and indicating that after evening prayer on Saturdays a priest will be available; so used to appear as SC in the Directory.

quote:
Originally posted by american piskie:
In the days of the Church Traveller's Directory, with its useful DSCR coding, there were some funny outliers: most, as far as I recall, were unexpected C's, and were signs of strict prayer book incumbents.

Is this in some sort of code?

What was the Church Traveller's Directory

What is DSCR coding

What is an unexpected C?

You have lost me. Well done.

quote:
Sorry for the double post, but having posted the above I thought about the reaction of most of the C-i-W priests I know, were I to go to them and ask whether I could make use of this form in the prayer book. Seeing as the majority are evangelical - and often strongly so - I think it would be interesting (and probably amusing), though one of them likes the prayer book a lot so might accept it as it's there, another, I suspect, would be utterly horrified!

Carys

I assume that what you mean is that the majority of the priests you know are evangelicals, not that the majority of CiW priests are evangelicals, which is very far from the truth.

Young Edward, the Travellers Church Directory was jut that, a directory which could inform the sound churchman where he could find a church which practised the true faith.

The code is as follows:

D = Daily Mass
S = Sung Mass every Sunday
C = regular tmes for confession
R = Reserved Sacrament

A DSCR chucrh is what one would normally be looking for, but if in desperate straits one would make do with an SCR or less.

Well that sounds rather good fun. Alas my Paish is a SR parish, although confession is available I fear some of our less elated parishinors would baulk at C.

However I think it would be rather fun to update this with a simple website. Anyone want to Poll all those churches?

Mine's an SR parish too,although C is available.....
Most of the clergy I know are MOTR to High....
I do know some Low Church clergy but I don't think they're Evangelical.
Space-bar is kaputt!Blast....

quote:
I fear some of our less elated parishinors would baulk at C.

"elevated"?

presumably the more elated members would find themselved less in need of confession?

Now does SacredThree make spelling mistakes or typos?
I have often wondered.....

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask this on, but hey...

What's this I hear about the newly-ordained not being allowed to administer auricular confession for three years after ordination? Is that true? If so, why? How 'hard' a rule is it? Does that mean if s/he does then the absolution pronounced is not proper, even though it comes from one in holy orders?

Also, I noticed a while ago in one of the ECUSA prayerbooks (19??) there's a version of Confession to be used if the person being confessed to is lay. How common is this, what's its status, and is there anything similar in England?

And another thing... ... where do the forms of sacramental confession in England come from - are they fully written up somewhere, like in the US?

quote:
I assume that what you mean is that the majority of the priests you know are evangelicals, not that the majority of CiW priests are evangelicals, which is very far from the truth.

I did indeed mean the majority of those I know, which isn't a very large sample I will admit! It's the effect of living in a very Evangelical parish with the C-i-W for the past 4 years, I suspect it's given me a slightly distorted view of yr Eglwys yng Nghymru!

Carys

quote:
Now does SacredThree make spelling mistakes or typos?
I have often wondered.....

I make "braino's" where my mind is moving ahead of my rather poor typing skills, but my spelling is in general below standard, and my reading / written vocab far exceeds the number of words I can actually pronounce. I think its something to do with the way I read.

LOL,Edward.... I know the feeling.My spelling is actually OK but everyone can think themselves fortunate they do not have to decipher my handwriting.People have been known to think about asking the chemist to translate....
Same problem....mind working faster than my hand!

quote:
What's this I hear about the newly-ordained not being allowed to administer auricular confession for three years after ordination? Is that true? If so, why? How 'hard' a rule is it? Does that mean if s/he does then the absolution pronounced is not proper, even though it comes from one in holy orders?

Also, I noticed a while ago in one of the ECUSA prayerbooks (19??) there's a version of Confession to be used if the person being confessed to is lay. How common is this, what's its status, and is there anything similar in England?

Why not ask The Boy tomorrow Joan? I can't imagine he would let a little thing like that stand in his way.

Cosmo

Oh, Edward and Stephen, look what you started! (Translation: I shall not be scolded by the moderator for taking a thread off track!..this time.)

Oddly enough, I have the same problem - but only on bulletin boards. (Plenty of pronunciation problems... but my writing tends to be impeccable, complete with Chancery Italic script.) Yet, when I type in this little message box, my most common error is in confusing words which sound the same - I often type "their" instead of "there," for example. I have more words mis-spelled on this board than I probably have in my life.

sigh: God's getting back at me for the days when I was an even bigger intellectual snob, and used to say that murdering the Queen's English should be a capital offense.

quote:
Oh, Edward and Stephen, look what you started! (Translation: I shall not be scolded by the moderator for taking a thread off track!..this time.)

[grin]

Any chance of this thread getting marginally back on track?

bb
----
MW Host

Cheers, Cosmo. Although I wasn't thinking about the Boy in my post - it's that my SD's going to be ordained next year, and I was a bit annoyed to hear about the three year rule, so wondered how strong it was... Or is it like most other things in the CofE, is you can break the rule if you want to so long as you keep it relatively quite?

Oh, and bb:

quote:
[grin]

Any chance of this thread getting marginally back on track?

bb
----
MW Host

...Nah

quote:

There's nothing in Canon B29 (Of the Ministry of Absolution) about this, except that those without a cure of souls in the technical sense need permission to exercise such a ministry in a regular way, and I think Bishops and Incumbents don't give such permission to novices for the obvious reasons. (The BCP and Canons both insist on the need for a Discreet Minister, and discretion is hard-won.) Irregularity, I imagine, won't affect validity unless it has been connived at. There is specific authority for death-bed absolutions.

Those with a cure of souls, of course, are bound by the Canons to "provide opportunities for their parishioners to resort to [them] for spiritual counsel and advice". A parish priest who doesn't offer the big "C" can't honestly take h-er/is stipend, no matter how ecstatic it makes the flock. It's not a negotiable part of the parochial ministry.

quote:
Originally posted by american piskie:
Those with a cure of souls, of course, are bound by the Canons to "provide opportunities for their parishioners to resort to [them] for spiritual counsel and advice". A parish priest who doesn't offer the big "C" can't honestly take h-er/is stipend, no matter how ecstatic it makes the flock. It's not a negotiable part of the parochial ministry.

american piskie

"Spiritual counsel and advice" sounds to me like advice (said twice). Why does it have to include confession?

Canon B29 (2), as you have said, sugggests those wishing to confess to a priest should find a discreet one, it doesn't suggest that the parish priest is automatically to be the one confessed to.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to have been missing from thread for so long - I have been working far too hard and simultaneously going to too many parties, and hence haven't had time to post. You all seem to have found some lovely tangents to play with in my abscence however!

About confessionals:

quote:

I doubt I'd ever use auricular confession regularly but I like the BCP(1984)'s explanation of it's use, 'Those who fail by themselves to find peace of mind can, if penitnt, be assured of God's forgiveness through the exercise of this ministry. Here, too, is the opportunity to ask for informed counsel when in doubt or difficulty.'

Carys

If auricular confession is thought of in this way, I can't see that most of the evangelical churches at my end of the sprectrum would object. A fairly frequent use for the "time of ministry" in a service is for people to come and "speak out" things that they need to confess and then be prayed for by a trained person. This person will then also give advice if they feel prompted to do so. I can't see what the actual difference is between this and the practice you have dexcribed, except that in our case the trained person doesn
t have to be a vicar - it can be a lay worker at the church or an experienced member of the congregation. However, a minister is generally available if (a) the prayee would rather talk to them or (b) the prayer feel out of his/her depth.

So much for confessionals then.

May I remind you all that I still want to know about (a) processions, (b) alters and (c) rood screens?

Also, are there any churches which actually do combine the styles and theologies? For instance, I think it was Edward (S3) who talked somewhere about speaking in tongues, as something that had been done by Catholic people for centuries. I know this is true, and it is one of the (many) reasons why I don't like the cessationist viewpoint on the Charismata. The same is, I suspect, true about visions, prophecy, dreams etc. Are there any AC churches out there which actively encourage the use of these gifts whilst still maintainging their traditions? If so, how are the 2 kept in balance?

All the best,

Rachel.

quote:

"Spiritual counsel and advice" sounds to me like advice (said twice). Why does it have to include confession?

Canon B29 (2), as you have said, sugggests those wishing to confess to a priest should find a discreet one, it doesn't suggest that the parish priest is automatically to be the one confessed to.

I had wondered about this, but concluded that one had to read the Canons together, specially when they use almost identical phrases.

B29(2) indicates that those who "cannot quiet their own conscience .... come to ... a .. minister.. that [they] may receive the benefit of absolution together with ghostly comfort and advice." Canon B29(4) restricts this ministry ordinarily to those with a cure of souls in the place.

So when C24(6) obliges those with a cure of souls to "provide opportunities ... for spiritual counsel and advice" I suppose it is speaking about the same sort of thing as Canon B29. Even if "confession" were not the dominant theme of such an interchange, it would, all the same, be what is casually called "Confession", and absolution would often be part of the package.

I don't think you'd want to argue that the incumbent should "offer opportunities for spiritual counsel and advice" while making it clear that absolution definitely wouldn't be on offer? If that were to be done, how would an ordinary parishioner know that there's a Club Class option for those in the know?

I agree about the freedom of choice enjoyed by the troubled and perplexed: though Canon B29 does seem to suppose that those with a cure of souls are the ordinary ministers or at least regulators of this ministry. But my point was really that those with a cure of souls have no choice: this is as normal and obligatory a part of their public ministry as marrying and burying parishioners; and to "offer opportunities" requires some positive effort on the incumbent's part. If a notice or announcement produces opposition, then it's got to be faced down: sorry guv, part of my job-description.

american piskie

I think I follow your argument (a comment on my lack of brain power, not your argument).

Now I think that I don't entirely agree with your view, but I'm far from certain that I thinkyou're wrong either. Part of the problem is ascertaining exactly what is meant by terms like "offer opportunity" and "counsel" (ghostly or otherwise - and what a lovely phrase) and partly it's a result of the Canons talking about the same or similar things in two different places. Being our dearly-beloved CofE, I suppose a straightforward "this is the way it is" would be out of the question.

Thanks for the further explanation. I shall go away and think about it further.

quote:

About confessionals:

except that in our case the trained person doesn
t have to be a vicar - it can be a lay worker at the church or an experienced member of the congregation.

All very well, but a priest of the Church of England, unlike a lay worker, has authority committed to him to absolve sins. Look at
the Visitation of the Sick in your Prayer Book.

A rood screen is necessary if the celebrant wants to comply properly with the "north side" rubric in the order for the administration of the Lord's Supper.

Posted by Nunc_Dimittis (# 848) on :

*sigh*

My parish barely rates "anglo-catholic" in some definitions here: only SR and C on offer... I wish we had D... But we are bells and smells to the ceiling and theologically we are catholic to the nth degree. *sigh* Let's just sit on the Anglican fence on this one, shall we, and not start picking apart the infinite gritty details about what makes one High or A-C...

*sigh* *sob sob* I would like to be anywhere where regular auricular confession and good spiritual directors are plentiful. Sydney is such a barren wilderness... And our *ahem* A-C community is so small and everyone knows each other... I mean, hell, we have shared parish retreats and joint pilgrimages to Santiago de Compostela. All 3 or so of us parishes in the inner suburbs (the most active and integrated).

*sigh* I am sooo ready to give up.

((((Nunc))))

Hang in there, honey.

quote:
Originally posted by laudian:
A rood screen is necessary if the celebrant wants to comply properly with the "north side" rubric in the order for the administration of the Lord's Supper.

You're probably waiting for someone to ask, "Why?" So I shall oblige.

Why?

Posted by eleighteen (# 2736) on :

Sorry to rescuitate such an old thread, but reading through it I have a couple of genuine questions.

1) Where can one find an A/C church in Liverpool.

2) Stupid question, but is the Book of Common Prayer or is there alternative Catholic liturgy? There are mentions to Prayer Books in the thread and I'm a little confused.

3) I prefer a traditional MOR Anglican service with the BCP, as one can take as much or little from it as one wants. Is sitting quietly (standing when required etc.) through a service acceptable?

Or is it like some low service in reverse, where people will do a high version of raising hands, dancing, and doing handclaps in Graham Kendrick choruses*. I dunno, that might mean crossing oneself etc. in this context. Is it bad form not to take Communion?

* Not that there is anything wrong with this, just makes me feel a little uncomfortable that's all.

Posted by Pax Britannica (# 1876) on :

St John's Tuebrook is one of the greatest A/C churches in England, and the magnificent Victorian building has recently been lavishly restored at public expense, for which DG!

eleighteen, if you are in Liverpool you should get on the train to Chester on the third sunday of every month and go to the Cathedral at 11.30. This is a Book of Common Prayer sung eucharist that should meet your requirements exactly. If I have given the wrong Sunday you will find yourself attending mattins.

Churches with any pretensions to true anglo-catholicism only use two versions of the liturgy. The first is that authorized by the Roman Catholic bishops of England and Wales, in a ghastly modern English which Cardinal Ratzinger has recently ordered be changed into something a bit more literate. The clergy who use this enjoy being told that it is illegal in the C of E, although the people who say so do not realize quite how much latitude is allowed by the rubricks of the "common" worship liturgy. You will probably find this at S Agatha's Toxteth Park, and Kendrick choruses etc fit into it quite well, although to see this you need to attend an actual Romish church.

The second exists with minor variations under names such as "interim rite", "series 1" and "order 2 alternative order". It is the 1662 Book of Common Prayer with the order in which a couple of the prayers are said changed. It ought to be in use at Tuebrook, where it will also be considered perfectly normal, indeed highly correct for you not to receive communion at the principal high mass on Sunday.

Posted by Pax Britannica (# 1876) on :

And if visting, either Liverpool or Chester, I hope you'll give us the benefit of filing a MW report! Lots of churches there yet to be visited.

Good trainspotting....

Posted by eleighteen (# 2736) on :

Thankyou for your replies. I shall endevour to get up to Tuebrook some time before Christmas hopefully.. ..I am currently settling into a church I can stomach (choir, organ and things) in my locale after six months of trying places with indifferent praise bands and the like (all well and good but not my cup of tea). Chester is a bit far on Sunday although it's another cathedral to "scratch" I suppose(I take a railfan's approach to Christianity!)

A/C is something I would like to experience, the nearest I've come (I guess) is Durham Cathedral, where I occasionaly attended Matins in the days before I was saved, or rather before I knew I was saved. It all seemed pretty MOR to me, although the DICCU crowd who attended St Nick's thought it to be quite catholic, in theology if not in worship.

Why on earth would Anglicans want to use the modern RC liturgy? I've heard it is quite inferior to ASB/Common Worship, which is generally OK, though not always the style of worship that comes with it.

An MW report may follow, but I am fairly new to regular church-going so understanding everything that goes on might be a bit much...

Posted by Sine Nomine (# 3631) on :

Pardon my broad church ignorance, but what is this "tapping three times at the elevation" thing that Thurible and A/D are talking about on the "Compulsion" thread?

(I'm so sorry there isn't a good Anglo-Catholic parish in my neck of the woods. You guys have far too much fun at church.)

Posted by Thurible (# 3206) on :

Sine Nomine,

At the elevation, one censes the Host/Chalice three times. In the absence of a censing at this point, I got a bit annoyed and so tapped three times on the pew to symbolise it.

Thurible

'Cos at Thurible's term-time church the thurifer wanders out before the consecration of the elements (Don't ask me why, some piece of silly Sarum high-church nonsense) he doesn't get a chance to cense the Host and the Chalice at their elevations. So Thurible (slightly oddly but I appreciate the intent) is 'filling in' for the thurifer by doing it himself on the pew. I suspect that such a place as this doesn't have sanctus bells either so Thurifer is doing two things at once.

Cosmo

Posted by Angelus Domini. (# 2343) on :

I'm glad to see this thread resurrected. One reply to Rachel_o on the first page always has me rolling.

Gosh, fancy Thurible tapping at the elevations without the aid of a thurifer. A true miracle of the Eucharist methinks. Beat that, Bob and Penny!

AD x

Thank-you, gentlemen.

I'm now a bit more edjicated. This sort of thing is good ammunition in my long term goal of annoying my rector. Indeed, we're having a meeting this Saturday to review "the shape of the liturgy" (doesn't that sound scary.) I will suggest that we destroy our copies of the "Wee Worship Book" and invest in a copy of "Ritual Notes".

Posted by Degs (# 2824) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
I will suggest that we destroy our copies of the "Wee Worship Book" and invest in a copy of "Ritual Notes".

Book burning [Yipee]

quote:
Thank-you, gentlemen.

I'm now a bit more edjicated. This sort of thing is good ammunition in my long term goal of annoying my rector. Indeed, we're having a meeting this Saturday to review "the shape of the liturgy" (doesn't that sound scary.) I will suggest that we destroy our copies of the "Wee Worship Book" and invest in a copy of "Ritual Notes".

The title of Dom Gregory Dix's masterpiece, you call scary?!!! [Disappointed]

AD x

quote:
Originally posted by Angelus Domini:
The title of Dom Gregory Dix's masterpiece, you call scary?!!!

No, Angelus, what's scary is that whenever we have meetings of this nature we edge closer to becoming a non-denominational Tabernacle. Can you say "Aimee Semple McPherson"?

Anyone want to buy a slightly used thurible. Only swung occasionally by a little old lady on feast days. (Sorry, Brits. That's an American "used-car" joke.)

Got the reference, but were you serious about the thurible. If so, PM me. xx

quote:
"the shape of the liturgy"

These sorts of conversations bode nothing but ill.

Bring Prayer Book and prepare to be extremely literalistic about the rubrics.

Posted by Adrian1 (# 3994) on :

Rachel. There are many questions which can be rightly asked about Anglo-Catholocism and just as many answers which can be given! I wouldn't go down the route of trying to convince you though that is the only right way of doing things - although it is one right way amongst many. What I will say is this. It's worth learning about and gaining an appreciation of.

Although it may not seem obvious, the Church of England would not be what it is today with surpliced choirs, lighted candles and regular celebrations of the Eucharist had it not been for the Catholic Oxford Movement which began in the 19th Century.

Pertsonally I lean towards the Catholic end of the church and that's largely because I've found it to be more colourful, stimulating and interesting than the low-church/protestant end. There is truth to be found at both ends of the spectrum - and in the middle too - though.

[Wink] [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

I'll have to use the review button more!

Rachel. There are many questions which can be rightly asked about Anglo-Catholocism and just as many answers which can be given! I wouldn't go down the route of trying to convince you though that is the only right way of doing things - although it is one right way amongst many. What I will say is this. It's worth learning about and gaining an appreciation of.

Although it may not seem obvious, the Church of England would not be what it is today with surpliced choirs, lighted candles and regular celebrations of the Eucharist had it not been for the Catholic Oxford Movement which began in the 19th Century.

Personally I lean towards the Catholic end of the church and that's largely because I've found it to be more colourful, stimulating and interesting than the low-church/protestant end. There is truth to be found at both ends of the spectrum - and in the middle too - though.

[Wink] [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Ralegh (# 1436) on :

I myself recently attended a A-C service for the first time at S. Stephen's in Providence, Rhode Island. I was wondering if I should publish a MW report about it, but I only recently submitted one for another church so I was doubtful about submitting another before the previous is published.

Anyway, it was a fascinating experience, and although I enjoyed much of the service, I'm not sure if I'm "high church" enough to go every week. I too have many questions, but haven't had time to read through this entire thread so am afraid of being redundant.

I'll venture one, however, when the time came for the gospel to be read and the procession came out to the middle of the church, I noticed most of the congregants were crossing themselves in a very elaborate fashion, making little mini crosses on their foreheads, lips, etc. I did not see them do this on other occasions. What's the reasoning behind this?

"Lord be in my mind, and on my lips, and in my heart."

It is bodily prayer asking God to be in our minds so that we may hear and understand the Gospel we are about to hear; on our lips that we may proclaim the Gospel; and in our hearts, that we may inwardly digest, and live the Gospel.

Or as I was taught when I was a tot:

quote:
Upon my forehead, lips and breast,
thrice I make the Holy Sign;
Jesu Christ, my Saviour blest,
thoughts and words and heart be thine.

It stems from the idea that the Gospel is not text on a page, that is read from, but rather, is proclaimed, heard and lived as Christ himself through the Deacon, says these words. This is why the CE has recently changed the words of introduction from 'A reading from the Holy Gospel...' to 'Hear the Holy Gospel...'; and also why, before this change, a lot of Catholic clergy used the formula, 'A proclamation of the Holy Gospel...'.

Incidentally, the threefold crossing is something I have seen in very MOR churches as well, and certainly most Anglican chuirches I have been to, regardless of tradition, (bearing in mind I've never been to an Anglican Evangelical Eucharist). I don't think it's that much of a Catholic thing.

AD x

You've never been to an Anglican Evangelical Eucharist, AD? You haven't lived!

I'd only been to one before I went to university, but I will admit that, at my college, I've learned a lot about charismatic worship. I'd always thought of charismatics as "arm-waving fruitcakes" but, since attending some reverent charismatic services, I've understood a lot more about one of the other wings of the C of E.

Also, a friend of mine recently went on retreat, led by a very Carthlick priest, and it turned out to be very charismatic (prostrating oneself in front of the exposed Blessed Sacrament, etc.). However, he found it very rewarding.

Thurible

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:

Well, I'm sure he'll survive.

So am I! But, is he saved?!?!?!? [Wink]

Thurible

Ah, but the English Missal uses the formula "The continuation (or beginning) of the Holy Gospel according to St."

Posted by Edward Green (# 46) on :

My fairly regular experience of Evangelical Anglican Eucharists is that they are informal, normally cassock-alb and stole, but fundamentally Anglican.

I am sure that this is not the case at the extremities of conservative and charismatic, but generally I find open evangelicalism so appealing that I am considering a transfer.

At the extremes they have given up on vestments altogether. The Family services, you are lucky if you get so much as the Lord's Prayer; Eucharists have bits of the Common Worship but a lot gets left out and replaced by Words of Knowledge, extended prayer and worship times, testimonies, etc. OK if you believe in prophecies, spiritual warfare and such like, but want a little touch of Anglicanism to remind you of its origins - otherwise better to stick to Middle of the Road. There is a huge spectrum from A-C to extreme Evangelical/Charismatics: it is hard to believe they are the same denomination.

quote:

I'd only been to one before I went to university, but I will admit that, at my college, I've learned a lot about charismatic worship. I'd always thought of charismatics as "arm-waving fruitcakes" but, since attending some reverent charismatic services, I've understood a lot more about one of the other wings of the C of E.

Also, a friend of mine recently went on retreat, led by a very Carthlick priest, and it turned out to be very charismatic (prostrating oneself in front of the exposed Blessed Sacrament, etc.). However, he found it very rewarding.

Thurible

I have been to a good few services in Evangelical settings, some of them Anglican; just never a Eucharist. I suppose it's because if you randomly go to a service at a Catholic parish, you're more likely to get a celebration of the Eucharist than if you randomly go to an Evangelical parish; acknowledging that this is a generalisation.

I go in for prostrating myself before the Blessed Sacrament. In addition to being my utmost expression giving myself, my all to Jesus (in worship, at least), it has the added benefit of shutting out distraction, which I am prone to.

AD x

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ralegh:
I myself recently attended a A-C service for the first time at S. Stephen's in Providence, Rhode Island. I was wondering if I should publish a MW report about it, but I only recently submitted one for another church so I was doubtful about submitting another before the previous is published.

<snip>

[Dons lowly editor's green eye-shade]

Please do write something up and submit it. There's no need to wait until a previous report is published. (There are quite a number reports in the pipeline, so it takes a while before they actually get posted right now.)

[Removes green eye-shade]

quote:
Originally posted by Angelus Domini.:
"Lord be in my mind, and on my lips, and in my heart."

Incidentally, the threefold crossing is something I have seen in very MOR churches as well, and certainly most Anglican chuirches I have been to, regardless of tradition, (bearing in mind I've never been to an Anglican Evangelical Eucharist). I don't think it's that much of a Catholic thing.
AD x

Thank you very much for the info, Angelus. Very helpful. The practice is not something, however, I have seen in the five or six Episcopalian churches (mostly MOR, I would think) I have attended here in the U.S. My thoughts are that it might not be as common here, or I might just need to get out more.

And Jennifer, I will submit the report. Thanks for the encouragment.

Posted by Peronel (# 569) on :

[Picks up editor's quill]

If you do decide after the fact to write a report (and please do!) then can you make sure that the church gets a MW card? Stick it through the letter box, or post it to them, or something?

[sticks quill behind ear]

My plan exactly, Peronel. It's in the mail.

quote:
My fairly regular experience of Evangelical Anglican Eucharists is that they are informal, normally cassock-alb and stole, but fundamentally Anglican.
Cassock-albs and evangelicals? Surplice and stole is what I've seen in evangelical churches.

Carys

quote:
Cassock-albs and evangelicals? Surplice and stole is what I've seen in evangelical churches.

Carys

Interesting,as at one time surplice and stole were quite common in MOTR churches.Low churches wore surplice and hood,even at the Eucharist.It's only during the last 7 years that we've had Eucharistic vestments.Before then it was alb and stole,and cope,usually

At my college, which would probably term itself "open evangelical" - at least the Chaplain does -, it's surplice and scarf for the Chaplain; cassock-alb/cassock and alb and stole for the others, save for the Right Reverend Principal who's cassock-alb, stole and pectoral cross. The only person who's ever worn a chasuble in recent years was a woman, who presided when the Chaplain was on sabbatical!

Thurible

Posted by anglicanrascal (# 3412) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Peronel:
If you do decide after the fact to write a report (and please do!)...

Is this allowed? Oh heck I am so disappointed.

Last year I went to a bobby-dazzler of a service here in Sydney so astounding that I wish that I had been an intrepid MWer to report on it. But I realised later that I had no idea of the exact sermon length and I couldn't remember the opening words of the service.

Oh well...

quote:
quote:

Carys

I've seen a few evangelicals wearing proper clothes recently! [Wink]

Posted by angloid (# 159) on :

One evangelical bishop (who shall be nameless) possesses at least one chasuble of his own which he brings with him in case the tat in the parish he visits isn't up to standard.

Posted by seasick (# 48) on :

Since when are cassock-albs 'proper clothes'? Granted, they may be a step in the right direction...

What is all this rubbish about proper evangelical clothes and such like? Surely the point of this thread is to guide those who have got through such questions at their conventicles and now wish to take part more fully in catholic worship.

So.

This Sunday is Passion Sunday. On this day all statues, images and crosses in church are to be veiled in purple veils. These veils are not to be removed until the Easter Vigil Mass. Thus, even if you, casual reader, still attend the Ebenezer Chapel or the Emmanuel Parish Church, you will still be able to go up to your pastor or 'worship leader' on Sunday and tell him to veil up his crucifix. It's been done for many hundreds of years so you can tell him it was a practice of the Early Church and so we must carry on doing it.

And please tell us his reaction.

Cosmo

Posted by Fiddleback (# 2809) on :

quote:

This Sunday is Passion Sunday. On this day all statues, images and crosses in church are to be veiled in purple veils.

Bolloc*s are they. They are covered in veils of unbleached linen stencilled with crimson.

Nonsense, boys. They are veiled in veils of black net appliqued with tiny black velvet dots.

quote:
quote:

This Sunday is Passion Sunday. On this day all statues, images and crosses in church are to be veiled in purple veils.

Bolloc*s are they. They are covered in veils of unbleached linen stencilled with crimson.
Oh yeah? I'd like to see you try.

Cosmo

So what do you do with ikons?

Glad to see someone spells it properly.

Cosmo, whatever statues, cricifixes etc are veiled with it should emphatically NOT be purple. Unbleached linen or any slightly off-white material is much to be preferred. [Wink]

I'm with Amos on this one!!

Posted by Sarum Sleuth (# 162) on :

As they should have all been veiled a month ago on Shrove Tuesday, I can't see what all the fuss is about.

SS [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Thinker (# 4328) on :

An excellent thread and would be a useful book for new ACs were the more sensible discussions to be published (and some of the funnier non sensible points too). I wonder whether Rachel has been convinced or whether all the detail of the robing procedures, et. have put her off for ever?

quote:
Originally posted by Degs:
I'm with Amos on this one!!

Me too. I want to go to Amos' church. Home of the peek-a-boo veiling. Penitential, yet smart looking.

Posted by Anglicub (# 3413) on :

Ok, why not purple?

I ask because ours are all veiled in ancient purple crepe, apparently handed down from the days of olde; a group of us is constantly expecting them to catch fire at any moment and go up like flash paper. I could use ANY excuse to encourage them to replace the veils..

We had thought about surreptitiously using them to set the new fire at Easter vigil.. [Devil]

quote:
Originally posted by Anglicub:
I ask We had thought about surreptitiously using them to set the new fire at Easter vigil.. [Devil]

I'd stick with tha suggestion, anglicub. [Wink]

Why not purple?

Because the liturgical colour for Lent isn't purple. It is a Lenten array of unbleached linen, with symbols of the Passion embroidered, or (dare I say?) appliqued in crimson.

Common Worship has made a bit of a boo boo on this one, I'm afraid.

AD x

For what it's worth, my ECUSA Ordo Kalendar says purple, but simply decorated muslin also acceptable. Doesn't seem to mention black net appliqued with tiny black velvet dots, mores the pity.

Posted by Ultraspike (# 268) on :

We're having a veiling party tonight after Stations & Benediction, purple of course.

quote:
Originally posted by Ultraspike:
We're having a veiling party tonight

Do tell. How riotous do you get to be during Lent?

Purple is the proper colour; anything else is a funny "English Catholic" re-invention.

Thurible

Posted by Fiddleback (# 2809) on :

quote:
Purple is the proper colour; anything else is a funny "English Catholic" re-invention

Stupid boy.

quote:
quote:
Purple is the proper colour; anything else is a funny "English Catholic" re-invention

Stupid boy.
Hear, hear.

Since we have some newcomers among us, I'm bumping this back to the top in hopes it will be useful and used.

Posted by dorothea (# 4398) on :

Thanks to Jig for putting me on to this thread. Whilst I must admit that the ritualistic stuff is a bit tiresome (sorry) something that Iakovos said several pages back hit a real chord with me.

Iakovos wrote: 'Yes, Jesus is your friend. But He is also the Awesome and Mysterious Word who Spoke the Universe into Being'.

I've often found it difficult to respond to the notion of Jesus as a friend. When I first came back to the church (a low broadly Evangelical Anglican Church), baptised but unconfirmed, the Rector really responded to me but felt it was important that I grapsed the implications of how, in Jesus Christ, God became human. I have responded to this, and it has informed my theology. It has allowed me to emphathise more with others, especially those who are suffering (It hasn't made me a better or nicer person though; I lack a great many qualities that a 'good Christian' might posesses.) However if I have to define my relationship with Jesus Christ, he is is more like a guide, a counsellor, a liberator than a 'chum'.

I'm really struggling with this idea of Jesus as a 'chum' and feel deepy alienated from the happy clappy ' Christ of the car sticker who seems very popular with some at my Church. I keep coming back to the those lines 'Great is the Mystery of Faith'..(Guess that's why I am here!!!)

But I am also very greatful to the practice quite common in the Anglican low Church of letting 'All who love Jesus to come to his table'. Without this free and open policy I would not have become confirmed in the first place.

Dorothea

Posted by Regina Cæli (# 2343) on :

I can relate to most of your points, Dorothea, especially the thing about God being a friend.

Perhaps it's just my hang-up about not being able to fully grasp that aspect of Incarnation theology, and perhaps that is what I am called to do, but I feel that people who can claim to have a deep close friendhsip with Jesus in the sort of bumper-sticker way to which you make reference have either fully grasped the Incarnation, and are far superior to me, or have a very different understanding of the Incarnation to the Catholic Christian.

RC x

Posted by seasick (# 48) on :

In the light of the liturgy for dummies thread I thought it might be worth giving this a kick...

(It's not answering quite the same question but anyway...)

Posted by Bishop Joe (# 527) on :

As a Dummy myself, I remember hearing something about a Rose Day falling about in the middle of the Lenten season.

Who can advise? [Ultra confused]

Posted by Sacristan (# 3548) on :

The Right Rev'd Joe
Bishop's Palace
Ship of Fools

Your Excellency:

Two Sundays of the Year are "Rose". The Third Sunday of Advent, which is called Gaudete and the Fourth Sunday of Lent, Laetare.

Your most humble subject, who is typing through vimp veils,
Sacristan

Posted by Saint Osmund (# 2343) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Bishop Joe:
As a Dummy myself, I remember hearing something about a Rose Day falling about in the middle of the Lenten season.

Who can advise? [Ultra confused]

This features in Roman Catholic practice, and none other, to my knowledge.

Advent III and Lent IV, as Sacristan saith.

M x

It certainly features in Roman Rite Anglican Catholicism too (and even in supposed English Rite places where they don't know any better!).

Thurible

Posted by Divine Outlaw-Dwarf (# 2252) on :

And is mentioned explicitly in CW. How much more Anglican do you want?

[ 05. February 2004, 11:53: Message edited by: Divine Outlaw-Dwarf ]

Posted by Dunstan (# 5095) on :

I am quite aware that MW is for all who wish to participate, but would it not be helpful, and prevent future repetitive threads, if this thread were made a sticky? I mean, a significant portion of threads in MW are people going on about AC liturgy, or at least high-church liturgy, and people who worship in other traditions may wonder why people discuss these "trivial" and "arcane" things and what it has to do with Jesus. I'm not so familiar with how UBB works, especially on the host's end, but might it be possible to put a note before the thread assuring people that ACism is only one of many traditions whose adherents participate in MW, but that this thread might be helpful to understanding even a general high-church perspective.

I really found this thread informative, and my only fear is that it will make people think that MW is the AC section, when it can embrace people from every tradition.

Sorry for the jumble of thoughts...anyway, what do the hosts think?

[ 05. February 2004, 12:41: Message edited by: Dunstan ]

Posted by Saint Osmund (# 2343) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Divine Outlaw-Dwarf:
And is mentioned explicitly in CW. How much more Anglican do you want?

Sarum, York, Bangor, Durham, Westminster, or Hereford Missal would be satisfactory. [Razz]

M x

Posted by Divine Outlaw-Dwarf (# 2252) on :

Beyond hope. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Dunstan:
I really found this thread informative, and my only fear is that it will make people think that MW is the AC section, when it can embrace people from every tradition.

Well of course, it could, but for some strange reason we don't seem to get too many Southern Baptists arguing to the death about the Invitational Hymn. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that they don't care as much.

Posted by Bishop Joe (# 527) on :

Thank you all for sharing about Rose Days. I know of one church in the Chicago area that celebrates the Lenten one; and if it bothers the local Diocese I'm not aware of it.

The church is pretty self-conscious (though perhaps "self-aware" would be the better term) about the practice but the church is famously "high-church" to its own way of thinking and embraces these concepts willingly.

It may or may not be apropos that I've been told that American Episcopal clergy have more freedom (license?) ritually than their Anglican colleagues in the U.K. But the examples cited me I frankly can't remember very well--something about whether the Priest can genuflect crossing the chancel when church is not in service. (I may be completely out to lunch on this, something along those lines though.) But I was told that "High Anglicans love coming over here because they can quite freely do things that are technically forbidden in the U.K."

Any truth to that, O Learned Ones?
[Biased] Inquiring (albeit ignorant) Mind.

[duplicate post deleted]

[ 09. February 2004, 01:53: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

quote:
Originally posted by Bishop Joe:
I was told that "High Anglicans love coming over here because they can quite freely do things that are technically forbidden in the U.K."

Any truth to that, O Learned Ones?
[Biased] Inquiring (albeit ignorant) Mind.

The truly learned ones can expound at length, I am sure, but two truths have been demonstrated admirably by Anglicans of a Catholic bent ever since the 1800s:

Posted by Crotalus (# 4959) on :

quote:
Posted by Bishop Joe:
"High Anglicans love coming over here because they can quite freely do things that are technically forbidden in the U.K."

What Newman's own said.

The Episcopal one's comment was probably true in the 1930s, but now almost anything goes, even in the Old World.

Posted by Alogon (# 5513) on :

All topics have been addressed so many times that I can't reply or quote anyone in particular-- but
here are my thoughts: two specific and three general.

Incense:

Fr. Barry Swain of S. Clement's, Philadelphia mentioned once that the hymn "We three kings" got it in a nutshell: "Incense owns a deity nigh." This understanding particularly explains the use of incense during the Eucharist and elevation and the censing of the altar at other times. It also explains why almost everyone who rejects the Real Presence also dislikes incense. (Please notice that he didn't say, "Those who dislike incense reject the Real Presence." One might dislike incence simply because, for instance, one is allergic to it.)

A recent PBS TV program about the magi (which discusses evidence making the biblical story of the wise men, as well as the belief that the relics now lying in Cologne Cathedral might really be their bones) more plausible than I had ever assumed before) suggested that they set out wondering about the exact nature of the personage they were visiting: Was he a king? Was he a god? Was he a healer? They expected these questions to be answered by which gift he accepted. He accepted all three (perhaps to their surprise) because He was all three.

The use of incense characterizes biblical worship, as mentioned numerous times, and nowhere does the New Testament suggest that we should stop using it.

The Real Presence or Transubstantiation:

I'm not sure whether this image would qualify as an analogy of transubstantiation-- but in terms of something that we can all understand, or at least a musician can: What God does with the elements is something like what Stradivarius did with his raw materials, especially wood. Strictly speaking, we could say that a beautiful and extremely venerable Stradivarius violin is a piece of wood, but it would be dangerously ignorant to refer to it as such, or as anything less than the Stradivarius violin that it is. So should we refer to the consecrated elements as Christ's Body and Blood. This is analogous to what I believe. Perhaps it amounts to transubstantiation, perhaps not. Either way, it's o.k. per Anglicanism. Transubstantiation is a doctrine that Anglicans may but need not believe. We hold that it is one possible specific explanation of a belief (Real Presence) that Anglicanism on the whole is content to regard as a mystery.

I first became aware of high or Anglo-Catholic worship at about age 15, and was immediately drawn to it. This was because it was old and romantic, it was associated with beautiful music, and almost everyone I knew found it esoteric and strange. Thus it made for very effective adolescent rebellion :-)

As time goes on, I prefer Anglo-Catholic liturgy and spirituality as much as ever, but for deeper reasons relating to the theological and other values behind it. The most important that come to mind:

1. Anglicanism is known as "the denomination that really takes the Incarnation seriously". It has this important point in common with eastern orthodoxy, whose spirit is more incarnational than that of Roman Catholicism and the western church in general. In the controversy over icons and the propriety of images, Saint John of Damascus appealed to the Incarnation to justify them: we can make icons, he reasoned, because we have seen in Jesus the perfect Icon of God. This perception, and the more general feeling that God blessed the world by deigning to enter it, suggests that we honor the Incarnation in fully enlisting the material and palpable world in our worship. Anglo-Catholic worship does so unreservedly. A refusal or reluctance to do so suggests that one might entertain mischievous elements of Manichaeism or gnosticism in one's outlook.

2. Catholicism generically, and Anglo-Catholicism again partly inspired by eastern orthodoxy, stresses the communal nature of Christian life, whereas Protestantism emphasizes the individual. Habituated in occidental thought, of course we might stumble in all innocence into asking "But aren't both of these aspects important?" No, say orthodox theologians such as John Zizioulas, who in his book _Being as Communion_ reminds us that as we believe in the Trinity, our God is not an individual, but three persons in relationship. The very word "individual", he warns, implies a life of isolation and therefore meaninglessness. It is a dangerous word anywhere near our faith. Even in a strictly secular sense we can appreciate that an apotheosis of individualism has led to widespread anomie and alienation in the "most advanced," "first-world" cultures. Rather than speaking of individuals, we should speak of persons: the crucial difference being that a person is defined by relationships to other persons.

3. With the above two points in mind, perhaps we can see why Anglo-Catholicism goes hand-in-hand with "a preferential option for the poor." Anglo-Catholics have been (in)famous ever since the ritualist riots in the 1840s for comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable. Its ministries are found especially among the powerless, disenfranchised, and marginalized, those whose status in society has been most at odds with that of Christ's brothers and sisters, a spiritual status proclaimed by liturgies whose splendor befits their dignity and nobility. The dogma of the Incarnation shows their value and just place in God's eyes, while the dogma of the Atonement shows a God who knows and shares their suffering. It has been said that these two are the only dogmas in Anglicanism.

Thus the theological and liturgical conservatism of Anglo-Catholicism is authentically accompanied by a political stance that is often called leftist or radical. "You cannot claim to worship Jesus in the Tabernacle, if you do not pity Jesus in the slums... It is folly-- it is madness-- to suppose that you can worship Jesus in the Sacraments and Jesus on the throne of glory, when you are sweating him in the souls and bodies of his children." This quote greets us at the web site "anglocatholicsocialism.org," which provides an inspiring rationale and history, furnished with quotes from scripture and patristics. I recommend this site for a stirring sense of the spirit behind the elaborate rites and ceremonies.

Posted by boppysbud (# 4588) on :

About incense.

I noticed growing up in the 70's when smoking was socially acceptable, the same people who would be complaining of allergies and asthma and coughing their heads off at the merest whiff from the censer could not wait for Mass to end so they could light up. [Ultra confused] [Help]

At coffee hour you couldn't see across the parish hall for the wal-to-wall cigarette smoke. [Projectile]

Seems like what they were really allergic to was Catholicism [Devil]

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

quote:
Originally posted by boppysbud:
About incense.

I noticed growing up in the 70's when smoking was socially acceptable, the same people who would be complaining of allergies and asthma and coughing their heads off at the merest whiff from the censer could not wait for Mass to end so they could light up. [Ultra confused] [Help]

At coffee hour you couldn't see across the parish hall for the wal-to-wall cigarette smoke. [Projectile]

Seems like what they were really allergic to was Catholicism [Devil]

Geneva Gown ON
Just noting we have a perfectly marvelous Incense thread lurking around already.
Geneva Gown OFF

Posted by Back-to-Front (# 5638) on :

Just thought I'd bump this back to the top. It's always worth a re-read, and now that MW and Small Fire have been combined, it may be of use to some folk.

Posted by Mark Wuntoo (# 5673) on :

Thank you Back-to-front.

It's not likely that I would have MW'd such a church, mainly because the technical ('scuse me) words are not known to me, let alone the symbolism. I'd make a terrible hash of it and offend people left, right & centre.

However, I'll read through the thread (the first post fits me so closely) and try to learn - and maybe, just maybe, I'll have a go. [Help]

Of course, it would be wise, in any case, to get someone to look over any draft report.

Thanks again.

And now, after a year on the Ship, I think I know what people mean when they say 'bump'! [Snigger]

Blessings!

Posted by Amazing Grace (# 4754) on :

Well, Mark, I was going to a church where a lot of this stuff was being used, at least some times, and had no flippin' clue what most of it was called. Now (to riff off Seig's sig line) I can tell a chausable from a cotta.

For my sins I have signed up with the Altar Guild (I do like to play with fabric) so will be learning a LOT MORE technical terms Real Soon Now. [Ultra confused]

Charlotte

Posted by The Geezer (# 5521) on :

Now, Mark Wuntoo, don't be so modest! I'm editing one of your reports on a Roman Catholic church right now, and it seems to me you "enjoyed yourself in spite of yourself."

Posted by xSx (# 7210) on :

Can anyone here tell me the significance/theology behind signing oneself with the cross during Evensong/Eucharist?

Does it have a different meaning depending on when you do it? Does it have any other meaning apart from reminding oneself of the Trinity: Father-Son-Spirit?

Many thanks, have begun to cross myself since moving higher up the candle, but am not sure of the reasoning behind it. One thing reading this thread has taught me (which I assumed anyway) is that much of the ritual has dense symbology and meaning behind it.

xSx

As an RC convert (from non-Christianity) I have mixed feelings about this. I do it liturgically at the beginning and end of mass, but it still doesn't feel natural to me.

But it does remind one of the mystery of the Trinity, and that is how I take it. Done without thinking, as a 'pious behavior', it can be meaningless.

On the other hand, striking my breast for mea culpa is something I have to resist doing to excess. This just seems such a natural way to acknowledge having caught oneself committing a minor sin (indulging in gossip or a snarky comment about someone's behavior, etc) that I have an urge to do it even when I'm thinking bad thoughts.

Probably a side-effect of those good Irish Catholic boys I worked with so many years ago who planted the phrase in my mind.

One man's meat...

[ 07. March 2005, 00:20: Message edited by: jlg ]

© Ship of Fools 2016