Thread: Eccles: Papal Coronation / MW 1008: Papal Coronation Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000514

Posted by Hooker's Trick (# 89) on :

So -- any chance of a coronation, or did JPII's disinclination mean that we'll never see a Papal Coronation again?

And if no chance for the tripple tiara, what should we expect from the consecration?

[ 21. October 2005, 07:43: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Posted by Back-to-Front (# 5638) on :

I sincerely hope that Pope BenedictXI decided to have a coronation.

This will sound very selfish, but this is all so very new to me. I have heard and read of the smoke, and the shout of 'Habemus papam' and all of the pomp and ceremony and joy, but it has never been real, as it all happened before I was even born.

It has finally happened! All that people have spoken about for all of these years has actually happened! I'm so excited and am really looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Posted by shareman (# 2871) on :

As I remember from 26 years ago, John XXIII sold the crown, but it was lent back to him and Paul for their coronations. Am I mistaken? If so, can coronation be taken to mean a slant to a pre-Vatican 2 style Church? I seem to remember the absence of a coronation of the last 2 popes was seen as being more in the spirit of Vatican 2.

[ 19. April 2005, 19:05: Message edited by: shareman ]

Posted by Newman's Own (# 420) on :

I love pomp and pageantry (monarchist here...), and am hoping that Benedict indeed does have a coronation. (Of course, being a Franciscan, I should be saying that it is a dreadful waste of money better given to the poor.)

As far as I know, there is no reason there could not be a coronation - the 'triple crown' would no longer apply because the Vatican is not a temporal power as it was, but the crown Paul VI used could be borrowed once again.

Does anyone know (I cannot recall) if John Paul could not have had a coronation if he wished? I thought that his preference was not to do so. Somehow, knowing of his history and background, it would have seemed very odd for John Paul to have a coronation. (For all my love of pageantry, I'm a peasant, the same as Karol, and could not imagine a crown on my head, however much I enjoy seeing them placed on the heads of others.)

Posted by FCB (# 1495) on :

quote:
Originally posted by shareman:
As I remember from 26 years ago, John XXIII sold the crown, but it was lent back to him and Paul for their coronations. Am I mistaken?

I think you're confusing reality with the film The Shoes of the Fisherman.

FCB

quote:
Originally posted by FCB:
quote:
As I remember from 26 years ago, John XXIII sold the crown, but it was lent back to him and Paul for their coronations. Am I mistaken?

I think you're confusing reality with the film The Shoes of the Fisherman.
Just in case no one thinks I've had too many "Glory of the Olive" martinis, I did not really think the crown had been sold and borrowed.

But seriously - is there any reason a new pope could not have a coronation?

Posted by Chapelhead (# 1143) on :

Surely there's a rather fancy crown in the treasury attached to St Peter's that they could use? Certainly when I went there a couple of months back there was a splendid bit of headgear on show.

Posted by Magic Wand (# 4227) on :

quote:
Surely there's a rather fancy crown in the treasury attached to St Peter's that they could use?
Eleven, actually. I vote for Pius IX's.

And the Pope is still the sovereign of the Vatican City State, so the triple crown is "relevant."

Paul VI's crown, if I remember correctly, is sitting, at this very moment, under glass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.

Here are some rather good pictures of the sort of thing we'd like to see.

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

This one makes me think of an old-fashioned christening gown (twice the length of the child/person wearing it). Though it does make the papal crown look rather innocuous and in scale.

this , though, evokes multiple brides adorned in red with ermine capelets ( [Eek!] ) approaching the altar.

quote:
Originally posted by Magic Wand:
quote:
Surely there's a rather fancy crown in the treasury attached to St Peter's that they could use?
Eleven, actually. I vote for Pius IX's.

And the Pope is still the sovereign of the Vatican City State, so the triple crown is "relevant."

I am fairly certain that Paul VI used the 'model' without the three crowns as a symbol of the papacy not having the previous degree of temporal authority.

IIRC, Paul was the first modern pope to travel elsewhere in the world during his pontificate - of course, nothing on the scale of John Paul. His no longer being head of a formidable temporal power (no Holy Roman Emperors to please, for example) [Biased] apparently had a connection with this flexibility. Previous popes had to stay put lest they be taken to be out conquering the world.

The sedan chair also was phased out during Paul's reign. Too bad for some of the Vatican staff that it was still in use during the reign of John XXIII, who it must have been quite a penance to carry.

The Vatican undoubtedly has plenty of crowns - but is there any reason Benedict cannot have a coronation if he so chooses? Nothing in my substantial liturgical library treats of that in particular.

Sigh Presumably the Mass on Sunday is going to be televised... and, no matter how much I'm grumbling today or shall grumble later, I just know that I'm going to be watching it... suppose I'll have to make a spiritual communion that day.

Posted by Trisagion (# 5235) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Newman's Own:
... suppose I'll have to make a spiritual communion that day.

The arms of your Holy Mother the Church are ever open.

The BBC calls Sunday's service an "Inauguration".

So no chance of one of these then.

I'd bet my bottom dollar there'll be no coronation.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Wow! That tiara almost outdoes the Orthodox in spectacular headgear........

Ian J.

quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:

Disappointing - it would be a lovely show. And having seen the crown I really think it should come out for an airing occasionally. I know it's hardly daywear, but perhaps he could slip it on for film premiers, awards' ceremonies and the like.

Posted by The Royal Spaniel (# 40) on :

We'll just have to wait until Liz snuffs it and Charlie becomes king before we see a Coronation I suppose.
Trisagion, you're a spoil-sport! [Two face] [Two face]

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
This one makes me think of an old-fashioned christening gown (twice the length of the child/person wearing it). Though it does make the papal crown look rather innocuous and in scale.

this , though, evokes multiple brides adorned in red with ermine capelets ( [Eek!] ) approaching the altar.

Bad taste is timeless.

Jeepers, that kind of stuff can almost put one in sympathy with John Calvin.

[Projectile]

All the reports I have checked online make it appear that Benedict is going to officiate at a Sunday Mass, which seems to be his installation, but there is no mention of a coronation - we'll need to wait for King Charles and his princess consort.

Trisagion - I am about as Catholic as it gets ... the only reason I'll be making a spiritual communion is because I'll be watching the Mass on the television. [Biased]

Hooker - why is Paul VI's crown in Washington DC?

[ 19. April 2005, 22:53: Message edited by: Newman's Own ]

Posted by 103 (One-O-Three) (# 5846) on :

There is no coronation. If I understand correctly John Paul II (or was it JP1?) Abolished the coronation ceremony.
A Coronation ceremony sounds a little too much anyway for a "Simple worker"

Posted by The Bede's American Successor (# 5042) on :

quote:
Originally posted by 103 (One-O-Three):
There is no coronation. If I understand correctly John Paul II (or was it JP1?) Abolished the coronation ceremony.

And now Benedict can do whatever he wants.

quote:
Originally posted by The Bede's American Successor:
quote:

And now Benedict can do whatever he wants.
Ah but he's a simple worker! Let's hope that he will do everything simply.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:

Why is that? Not suitable for a humble worker in the Lord's vineyard? Or because it's hard to bring something like this back once someone's done away with it? Or some other reason?

Posted by Fiddleback (# 2809) on :

A new tiara is confected for a new pope. I think Ben XVI gets the temporal layer too on account of his being German. He can be the Holy Roman Emperor as well.

If he's Holy Roman Emperor too, can he call an ecumenical council?

Posted by Thurible (# 3206) on :

I assume the Vatican thinks that it's called lots of them already, including Trent, Vatican I and Vatican II.

Thurible

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Why is that? Not suitable for a humble worker in the Lord's vineyard? Or because it's hard to bring something like this back once someone's done away with it? Or some other reason?
Because I know the man and it is simply not his style. His commitment to simplicity in his life is grounded in his commitment to "Put nothing before Christ" (from St Benedict's Rule) and one of his favourite aphorisms). He would see the pomp of such a coronation as deeply inappropriate. If I'm wrong, I invite all Shipmates to the solemn eating of my hat.

[ 20. April 2005, 05:47: Message edited by: Trisagion ]

Well, that's the best thing I've heard about him all day, I must say. And from one who knows, which is nice.

I hope you're right. If you're wrong, I will have to figure out what one wears to an ecumenical Solemn Eating of the Hat service. One's own hat, I presume, just to rub it in. [Big Grin]

But the important question is where does His Holiness stand on lace? I was disappointed to see him appear in a really nasty Italian box pleated rochet yesterday, so I'm not hopeful.

[ 20. April 2005, 08:55: Message edited by: Fiddleback ]

Posted by Cosmo (# 117) on :

It was pretty nasty wasn't it? However, I have hopes that the conclave was over before Messrs Gammarelli expected and so their tat wasn't in place. If you look closely, it seemd to me that Benedict was only wearing a black shirt underneath the rochet, not even a soutane.

We will soon know and, of course, we will soon know how butch he really is. Only straight priests wear lace nowadays.

Cosmo

Posted by Archimandrite (# 3997) on :

Well, I must say, I nearly wept when I heard the news. It's an affront to my faith, it really is.

Why couldn't we have had a real Dark Side Tat-Queen Pope?
[Frown]

Posted by Deon (# 609) on :

quote:
Because I know the man and it is simply not his style. His commitment to simplicity in his life is grounded in his commitment to "Put nothing before Christ" (from St Benedict's Rule) and one of his favourite aphorisms). He would see the pomp of such a coronation as deeply inappropriate. If I'm wrong, I invite all Shipmates to the solemn eating of my hat.

Well, the man is evidently a talented pianist with a love of Mozart, whose brother was Kapellmeister of the Regensburg Dom and Choirmaster of the Regensburger Domspatzen.

Perhaps we will have a Coronation - the Mozart Kronungsmesse sung by his brother's former choir. Now that would combine self-deprecation with exquisite good taste!

Cheers

[ 20. April 2005, 10:50: Message edited by: Deon ]

It just occurred to me that, with (I'm sure) a huge number of Germans in attendance, whatever congregational singing there is at the Mass will be the most robust on earth. I have never been anywhere that tops Germany for that (RC or Lutheran), so the crowd may make up for deficiencies in the Sistine Choir.

With that said... I hope there is minimal congregational singing and some wonderful choral and instrumental music. [Smile]

Perhaps (and this is just a personal thought), considering the substantial percentage of Catholics who are in 'third world' nations, and who may be highly sensitive to past pain from colonialism, the symbolism of a coronation could have negative connections which would not occur to 'pomp and pageantry' sorts such as myself.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
Perhaps (and this is just a personal thought), considering the substantial percentage of Catholics who are in 'third world' nations, and who may be highly sensitive to past pain from colonialism, the symbolism of a coronation could have negative connections which would not occur to 'pomp and pageantry' sorts such as myself.

I can't see why it should. Plenty of poor countries had kings of there own before we went and conquered them. Many still do. And plenty of imperialist countries - France, the USA, are or were republics. There's nothing specifically European or colonialist about monarchy or coronation.

There's nothing specifically Christian about them either & it gives out pretty bad singals about heirarchy and authoritarianism.

On the other hand I'm not RC and from my POV its little but a nice party I can watch on TV.

Posted by Maniple (# 2237) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo:
It was pretty nasty wasn't it? However, I have hopes that the conclave was over before Messrs Gammarelli expected and so their tat wasn't in place. If you look closely, it seemd to me that Benedict was only wearing a black shirt underneath the rochet, not even a soutane.

Cosmo

The first picture on the beeb website here shows Benedict wearing a soutane, but there is not much of it showing.

Will be seeing Messrs Gammarelli early next week - will ask Lorenzo what was going on!

Posted by John Holding (# 158) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Maniple:
quote:

Cosmo

The first picture on the beeb website here shows Benedict wearing a soutane, but there is not much of it showing.

Will be seeing Messrs Gammarelli early next week - will ask Lorenzo what was going on!

Haven't followed up the Beeb picture, but the papers here carried a picture that clearly shows tight black sleeves and cuffs under the rochet -- certainly no soutane at that point (on the balcony) and certainly whatever it was, was black.

John

quote:
quote:

Cosmo

You are quite right. Obviously only had Paul VI's old one in stock when Benedict turned up.

Am watching the replay of Benedict's first papal mass on EWTN at the moment and it's not looking good for us tatophiles. Only two Swiss Guards near the Pontiff and no Chamberlains or Knights of S. Sylvester hanging around in morning dress. None of the Big Six lit on the High Altar. Nasty little movable Nave Altar with two candles at one end and a pot plant at the other. Bunch of young thugs acting as servers. Benedict in pretty horrible Gothic chasuble although I think, wonder of wonders, that he is wearing a proper alb and amice rather than a cass-alb (oatmeal weave). Deacon is, not to put too fine a point of it, shitting himself and can't open the Book properly. Plain dalmatic, a bit like a sack but proper alb and amice. Latin homily, not Italian.

More updates soon.

Cosmo

Well, it seems as though the homily is being missed out after all and we've gone into the Intercessions. Perhaps he will speak a little later but now we've gone into the Offertory.

And I can see that one of the people bringing up the offertory is not only a woman, but a woman wearing trowsers! Good God!

I'm sure you are all on the edge of your seats.

Cosmo

[ 20. April 2005, 14:16: Message edited by: Cosmo ]

The Sanctus is a cacophany as the Pontiff, as he did during the Funeral, is trying to sing along as well instead of leaving it the Cantor. Not only that but an incredibly tiresome commentatrix is talking over everything, translating the Latin into English and drowning out the Pope. Concelebrated mass.

Elevation of the Host and a good shot of a Swiss Guard doing his excellent left-handed salute whilst grasping his halberd.

Nice chalice.

Pretty impressive genuflexions for a 78 year-old.

Cosmo

The Chilean Cardinal Deacon, during the Concelebrants prayer, has just fucked up big time. First by not being able to read the Latin and then, worse, reading out 'Papa Giovanni Paulo' instead of Benedict.

It's the salt mines for him.

Cosmo

First bit of reactionary liturgical practice; Papa did the Fraction over the Chalice (as it always used to be) instead of over the Paten (as it now says in the rubrics).

Impressive how much of the Latin he knows offby heart rather than needing a book stuck under his nose in the way they do with the microphone.

He looks knackered tho'.

Cosmo

Posted by MarkthePunk (# 683) on :

I see a lot of self-intincting going on. I thought Cartholicks didn't do that.

The tat doesn't even impress me. Maybe they should put an Anglo-Cath in charge of such things.

And, yes, the commentator needs to take a vow of silence. I've never heard such holy yakking.

Here comes the Homily after all and it is in Latin.

As though any of you could give a monkey's curse.

Cosmo

quote:

I think what has happened is that Papa Benedetto has chosen the smallest of the 3 Gamarelli cassocks, being slight of frame, and the sleeves simply aren't long enough. The delay between the white smoke and the first appearance suggested that there may have been fitting problems. For a while I even thought that they might have chosen Lehmann, and another Roncalli scenario was taking place.

Talking of whom piccies from the Mainz diocesan website show that some German prelates still wear proper rochets.

Has Cosmo performed the first quintuple post in Ship history?

O. K. So now he's giving the homily AFTER the Lord's Supper? [Eek!] [Disappointed]

He speaks Latin well, though, in a pleasant voice. I can catch a lot of it. My high school Latin classes are finally useful.

All the Cardinals are nodding carefully and pretending that they understand more than one word in ten. Attractive accent

'Sister Janet', our commentatrix, has been shot or gagged, and we now have a male voice giving us a translation of the Homily. Long enconium on the virtues of the 'Great' John Paul.

Cosmo

quote:
Here comes the Homily after all and it is in Latin.

As though any of you could give a monkey's curse.

Where on earth would people care about this more than right here on this board?

Now, please do tell me that there was no 'voice over' translation which is actually a paraphrase... It irritated me somewhat that, during John Paul's funeral, I could not hear Ratzinger's excellent homily because of just that.

As an aside... I always loved the warmth with which I heard people call out "Papa!" to Paul VI and John Paul. Why do I find that hard to picture with Benedict? (I tried doing it at the television screen for practise. It did not work, though I did say all the Italian and Latin prayers.) Maybe we all are too used to seeing Cardinal Ratzinger, and it's hard to make the transition?

Alas! 'Sister Janet' has not been shot or gagged but is instead having a quick cough and drag out the back of the studio. Sadly we can hear every moment of her coughing up her lungs. 'Father Kevin', our new commentator, carries on manfully and ignores a fine shot of an African Cardinal picking his nose.

Cosmo

So what television chanel are you lot watching? All I can find is cartoons and Carol Vorderman whom, in a distressing signal that I have entered middle age, I am starting to find quite attractive.

He's now telling us how good the Vatican Council was and how 'relevant' the documents are today. In other words, it's bye-bye Vatican Council II and Roll on Vatican III.

Cosmo

A quick mention by the HF that only 'proper' celebrations of the liturgy and only 'proper' celebrations of the Mass are to be tolerated.

The cameraman did a good job in avoiding the sight of Cardinal Law as the Pontiff spoke of World Youth Day.

Cosmo

No wonder he looks knackered; he must have been up all night writing this. It's going on a bit. Good stuff tho about the need for 'purification of the memory' and that he will do all in his power to promote the cause of ecumenism.

No doubt then he will be glad to celebrate my 10 am mass next Friday fortnight whilst I get my hair cut.

Cosmo

Found the link now. Nasty oatmeal backdrop and frightfully Anglican looking mitre.

Heartwarming that the servers are gossiping and laughing at the side whilst Benny drones on.

And here we go with the ritual praising of Mary and the saints. But not for long.

That's nice. He's just given me his Apostolic Blessing and the Cardinals have given him a round of applause.

Oh God, 'Sister Janet' is back and is saying that 'that was an absolutely wonderful homily'. As though she was going to turn to 'Father Kevin' and say 'well that was a crock of shite wasn't it?'.

Cosmo

[ 20. April 2005, 15:08: Message edited by: Cosmo ]

'Ite' intoned nicely, but no alleluias?

The Halleujah Chorus is being played on a Bontempi organ as they go out and Sister Janet is telling us that 'He'll be right'; this an old Lancastrian comment.

Cosmo

Did they get that organ from the county fair? It sounds like it.

quote:
Originally posted by Fiddleback:

Of course not. Alleluias stop after Low Sunday.

Cosmo

The Organist is playing as though he's wearing boxing gloves. And was it my imagination or was the Pope wearing a pair of brown shoes? Maybe they were buskins? Makes a change from JP II and his Nike trainers with the flash rubbed out.

Cosmo

quote:
quote:

Cosmo

Is that really so??? We always have them all the way through Eastertide .... which does seem excessive. I'd love to get Fr to put a stop to it - does Ritual Notes have an entry?

Cheers

quote:
The Organist is playing as though he's wearing boxing gloves.

I think it's because he doubles as carilloneur.

Cheers

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
quote:
quote:

Cosmo

Is that really so??? We always have them all the way through Eastertide .... which does seem excessive. I'd love to get Fr to put a stop to it - does Ritual Notes have an entry?

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
quote:
quote:

Cosmo

Yes. Look up 'Eastertide' and see Note 249 (d) which tells you when to do the Alleluias in the Easter season. It says that the Alleluias are discontinued after the Saturday of the Easter Octave.

Cosmo

quote:
Originally posted by MarkthePunk:
O. K. So now he's giving the homily AFTER the Lord's Supper?

Does that mean that he recognises the sermon as the climax of the service and has given it the due place of honour?

quote:
A quick mention by the HF that only 'proper' celebrations of the liturgy and only 'proper' celebrations of the Mass are to be tolerated.

Those'd be the ones where two candles are placed on one end of God's board and a spider plant on the other?

Did the Swiss Guard have a new flag for the new Pope? That would be impressive.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

Well I've missed all of his "first Mass". Does anyone know if (and if so, where) his inaugural Mass is going to be televised on Sunday?

On papal tat: Bonaventura kindly supplied this link to one of the UK's more high quality newpapers from the "New Pope!" thread up in Purgatory. There's definitely a white cassock sleeve there, but it's much too short. Also a hint of lace or at least drawn-thread work on the rochet. Pity the stole was all crooked. It's very pretty. Does anyone make copies? [Biased]

Posted by Peronel (# 569) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Also a hint of lace or at least drawn-thread work on the rochet.

I'm reasonably sure it's drawn threadwork - was admiring it last night on the telly. It's one of my favourite forms of decoration - I keep meaning to put a line across the top of my bedsheets, but it hasn't happened yet.

Peronel.

quote:
quote:

Those'd be the ones where two candles are placed on one end of God's board and a spider plant on the other?
I'm hoping that Benny was saying to everybody 'Take a good look all you Bugnini-wannabees 'cos you're not going to see this sort of rubbish much longer'.

However, I fear that one problem with Benedict as Pope is that he probably had a bit more obvious liturgical power before his elevation. I suspect it might depend on whom he appoints as Prefect in his place.

Cosmo

quote:
However, I fear that one problem with Benedict as Pope is that he probably had a bit more obvious liturgical power before his elevation. I suspect it might depend on whom he appoints as Prefect in his place.

I think Benny deliberately dumbed down the liturgy - it was clearly not the sort of thing he has advocated in some of his writings - in order to give a bit of reassurance to those who think he's too conservative and reactionary. It was his version of Tony Blair's 'Hey, I'm just an ordinary kinda guy, you know'. If the new pope had been someone like Kasper or Martini, he'd have done the mass at the real altar in a Roman chazzie, lace alb and 3' tall Counter Reformation mitre for the same reason.

[ 20. April 2005, 17:35: Message edited by: Fiddleback ]

Posted by The Wanderer (# 182) on :

Cosmo - thank you! I was out at work so missed Benny's first Mass, but your blow by blow commentary was both informative and hilarious.

On the original question - does anyone know when the inaugaration will be on TV? What with funerals and weddings the Radio Times has been really buggered about recently!

Good heavens. The first running Mass commentary in Ship history.

But back to coronations,

quote:
Hooker - why is Paul VI's crown in Washington DC?

According to this incredibly informative site:

quote:
Pope Paul's tiara was presented to the National Shrine of the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, DC by the Apostolic Delegate to the United States on February 6, 1968 as a gesture of Pope Paul VI's affection for the Catholic Church in the United States. It is on permanent display in Memorial Hall along with the stole of Pope John XXIII, which he wore at the opening of the Second Vatican Council.

Posted by Sacristan (# 3548) on :

quote:
A Coronation ceremony sounds a little too much anyway for a "Simple worker"

The coronation has not been abolished. JPI simply decided to be installed by being invested with the pallium and any new pope could choose to be crowned again - with the triple tiara, since his 3 dominions still apply. Fat chance that will ever happen though. Who wants to be labeled as "the pompous ass who brought it all back"? [Waterworks]

Congrats to Cosmo for the blow by blow account. Perhaps you could do the same for Sunday's installation/induction - perhaps Benedict may be wearing scarf and hood....

In terms of old fashioned ritual I was pleased to see the breaking of the host over the chalice. Good to see Papa is ignoring the GIRM! He also made the sign of the cross with the host before receiving, which is considered 'old fashioned'.

No Sticky Fingers tho' [Frown]

Came across a piccy of John Paul the Great showing how its done...... Sticky Fingers!

For those of you who missed the programme earlier its being repeated NOW (22:22pm London time)

Got as far as the Gosepl.

http://www.ewtn.com

then click on multimedia and choose between rela video or windows media (real video works better from my experience.

Enjoy!

Posted by stbruno (# 3505) on :

I am still trying to figure out what kind of a mass this was. CNN televeised the event introducing it as the Benedict's (I still keep thinking of him as Ratzinger!) private mass with the cardinals.
OK there was a deacon singing the gospel and the Mass was sung which made me think its a solemn mass. But why no smoke??? (Are there fears for the art work?) And what is with this heretical practice of intinction? I thought that was seen as one of the absues that were to be stamped out under the new rules?
Personally I would have preferred tohave seen communion delivered on the tongue only with the communicants in a prayerful kneeling position for this event. For those of us who love the Tridentine rite (ok we are a minority) Benedict is seen as a great defender of the rite and has celebtated it himself on several occassions, as well as sorting out hard line bishops who have banned their priests from celebrating it.

Intinction is only an "abuse" when people do it themselves, rather than letting the minister intinct the host and place it on their tongue. The cardinals got to self-intinct because they are conelebrants, not mere lay-trash. Why they did not drink from the chalice (as most did at the funeral) is a mystery.

I thought the best moment was when the concelebrant to Benedict's right flubbed the Pope's name in the Eucharistic Prayer. He first prayer for John Paul (out of habit?) and then went back and prayed for Benedict, but then had to take a minute to figure out how to say "the sixteenth" in Latin. Not that I fault him for this; I would probably had to pull out Wheelock (ordinal numbers being a weak point of mine).

FCB

Posted by Sarum-mental (# 9300) on :

Well, it will be interesting if the eastward position returns to favour. As cardinal the new Pope wrote a compelling appeal to return to celebrating in that fashion. His underlying theme was putting Our Lord first and directing the priest and worshippers toward the Almighty and away from what he considered a closed circle which did not serve the ideals of worship opening outward and artificially forcing the priest to be the central focus. It was certainly balm to my sensibilities.

And here is what we can hope to see once Benny has chucked out all that nasty Gamarelli's 'tat'.

Anybody noticed that Benedict XVI looks like Fester Addams?

What I want to know is what Fiddleback and Henry are doing up at this ungody (UK) hour.

FCB

quote:
Anybody noticed that Benedict XVI looks like Fester Addams?

You're right! This is a deeply unreasonable way to react to anyone, but he does look scary to me.

(And does anyone know when the installation will be on TV?)

The Installation is at 9am UK time.

The UK networks haven't got it on their schedules.

The Eternal Word Television Network is showing it.

Solemn Mass of Inauguration of Pope Benedict XVI, Live
LIVE:
April 24, 4 AM ET

Repeats:
April 24, 10 AM ET, 3 PM ET
April 25, 12 AM ET, 4 AM ET, 1 PM ET, 5 PM ET

These are Eastern Times - add 5 hrs if in UK.

http://www.ewtn.com

then follow link to multimedia, live tv, real video / windows media.

I hope to be able to see 1/2hr live before having to go to Mass, then will be able to see the repeat.

I must be getting old... I not only think that Benedict is a handsome man but that the MC who stands to his left is stunning... but I digress...

Anyone who has not read Benedict's "Spirit of the Liturgy" (no doubt, borrowing Guardini's title was deliberate) probably would enjoy it immensely. It almost made me wish for silent Canons. (Yes, we'd all like a few Canons to keep silent - in this case, I meant Eucharistic Prayers.)

I cannot imagine why concelebrants would receive the wine by intinction - that is new to me. (I dislike intinction in any case, but do not think I've ever seen concelebrants not drink from the chalice.)

I shall add both a [Overused] and a [Killing me] for Cosmo's wonderful commentary on the Mass - this is one thread I'm going to be sure to save.

Posted by Leetle Masha (# 8209) on :

Another big thank you to Cosmo! If you hadn't given your excellent report, I'd have missed a lot!

I have a musical question: Most of the chanting (and it seemed they didn't know the chant very well) was the Missa Marialis, but where did they get that Gloria in Excelsis?

Leetle M.

Posted by Carilloneur (# 8279) on :

Deon said:
quote:
I think it's because he doubles as carilloneur.
Should I be concerned? [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Leetle Masha:
I have a musical question: Most of the chanting (and it seemed they didn't know the chant very well) was the Missa Marialis, but where did they get that Gloria in Excelsis?

I read that it was Mass IX "Cum Iubilo" , but frankly can't remember the Gloria well enough to say (you can hear the Gloria here and decide for yourself). I know the Sanctus and Agnus Dei were from this and I think they are part of what Anglicans call the "Missa Marialis." But the Gloria might be different.

As to the quality of the singing, it sounded like someone close to a microphone (one of the concelebrants?) was, shall we say, musically challenged.

FCB

[ 21. April 2005, 13:30: Message edited by: FCB ]

Posted by Amazing Grace (# 4754) on :

Speaking of the First Mass, the pics I saw on the news wires had Benedict in a gold chausable. I thought gold was for Easter Day only. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Charlotte

Gold can be used frequently - IIRC, at any time when white could. Before the advent of cassock albs and odd stoles, gold was often used for Sundays and major feasts. It never was restricted to Easter Day in the RC church.

quote:
I must be getting old... I not only think that Benedict is a handsome man but that the MC who stands to his left is stunning... but I digress...

Anyone who has not read Benedict's "Spirit of the Liturgy" (no doubt, borrowing Guardini's title was deliberate) probably would enjoy it immensely. It almost made me wish for silent Canons. (Yes, we'd all like a few Canons to keep silent - in this case, I meant Eucharistic Prayers.)

I cannot imagine why concelebrants would receive the wine by intinction - that is new to me. (I dislike intinction in any case, but do not think I've ever seen concelebrants not drink from the chalice.)

I shall add both a [Overused] and a [Killing me] for Cosmo's wonderful commentary on the Mass - this is one thread I'm going to be sure to save.

Is the MC an ordained priest too? I thought it looked like he had a clerical collar! Who is he??? and I wonder where he is from?
Preheps we ought to make some Vatican Top Trump cards!

Posted by Adrian1 (# 3994) on :

Well the English Missal (Missale Anglicanum) certainly provides Propers for Mass on the day of a Papal Coronation. I used them on Wednesday morning.

For what it's worth I'm not sure whether a 'Coronation' is quite in keeping with the beginning of a modern Pontificate. However there will be an inauguration ceremony on Sunday and if it's broadcast I'll either get it videoed or see it live, depending on what time it's at.

[Biased]

Thank you, FCB, for the link to that Gloria. It is definitely the Missa cum Jubilo Gloria, rather than the Missa Marialis Gloria.

I too am "Musically Challenged", but thought the singing at the Mass for the Cardinals needed a bit of work.

However, they all looked very tired.

Leetle M.

Posted by Corpus cani (# 1663) on :

quote:
Preheps we ought to make some Vatican Top Trump cards!

Splendid idea 103 (no hyphen). Imagine the joy of sitting, after a picnic at Walsingham or Glastonbury - "You'll have a gin and a round of Top Trumps before you go Father?"

Now let's see, what categories could be included?
Newman's Own Fanciability Rating*...Tat quotient...Number of Occasions spotted in tiara...

"Self: NOFR*?"
"Fr: Only four, It's John XXIII."
"Self: Ha! I've got Ben XVI..it's a ten...unbeatable!"

[Assumes reminiscing expression, generally happy, yet tinged with a hint of Maudlin.]
Ah! Were my prep school days really so long ago...? [/R.E.]

Corpus

AHHHH - I have a Pius X card, that means I win all!

Papal coronations and all that remind me of something I vaguely remember hearing about a chap called Cardinal Siri (?) who was supposed to have been elected instead of John XXIII - I think when I came across the story, it had been put about by some rabidly anti-Novus Ordo types. Would anyone with a knowledge of this sort of conspiracy theory mind enlightening me?

[ 21. April 2005, 22:54: Message edited by: Archimandrite ]

quote:
AHHHH - I have a Pius X card, that means I win all!

Of whom I saw a secondary relic in a shop window only this very day. What's more, I had gone a different way from my habitual one simply because I felt like it!

quote:
Originally posted by Archimandrite:
Papal coronations and all that remind me of something I vaguely remember hearing about a chap called Cardinal Siri (?) who was supposed to have been elected instead of John XXIII - I think when I came across the story, it had been put about by some rabidly anti-Novus Ordo types. Would anyone with a knowledge of this sort of conspiracy theory mind enlightening me?

Too much reading of Novus Ordo Watch will turn you into a monster (like me)

Take the Cardinal Siri story with a pinch of salt, it's all rather weird.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Archimandrite:

Too much reading of Novus Ordo Watch will turn you into a monster (like me)

Take the Cardinal Siri story with a pinch of salt, it's all rather weird.

That's the one.

Yes, it is rather weird, but I was simply hoping that someone who, for instance, was around at the time, might be able to say "ah yes, we remember him; terribly odd, wasn't it?" or "Total nutbar. Painted Genoa cathedral lime green and declared himself to be a pincushion." Either way, it saves me from reading Novus Ordo Watch.

Posted by tomb (# 174) on :

Hate to burst your bubble about the Mass setting, but it wasn't Cum Jubilo (ix For Feasts of the Blessed Virgin 1); it was De Angelis (viii. For Doubles). It's the only one that the Sistine Choir knows (trust me on this). Both were inappropriate. It should have been Lux et Origo (i. in Paschal time). NB: They did Credo iii; s/h/b i.

BTW: ""Cum jubilo" is the same as the so-called "Missa Marialis." We have the latter name thanks to Healy Willan of blessed memory. There is no "Missa Marialis" in the Roman Kyriale.

For liturgical reasons alone, I am delighted that Benedict is pope. He tried to sing along at the Funeral on the Credo (because he knew the tone). But Msr. Liberto, the director of the Sistine Choir, has been f***ing w/ the Ordinary for years. That dialogic s**t in the Credo was his invention. That it was reserved for the people and supposed to be sung in directum notwithstanding, he strophed it so his Sistina could sing stuff. The bastard. We'll, he'll be out on his pompadored ass toot sweet.

And Marini, the Master of Ceremonies for St. Peter's, who choreographed so many of JPII's dog and pony shows, was NOT IN EVIDENCE for any of the masses.

The Funeral was Benedict's; so was the votive Mass for the election of the Supreme Pontiff. Who cares what he wore! He reigned in the sloppiness significantly with little time or authority. I can't wait to see what he does to improve the liturgy of the Universal Church.

Benedict loves the liturgy of the Church, and believes the Vatican II document (Sacrosanctum Concillium) that gives Gregorian chant "pride of place" in the liturgy.

BTW: the organist's name is Jimmy, and he's from Omaha. He has little to work with in terms of the POS instruments. The organ in St. Peter's is a 4-division monstrosity that they have set up behind the baldochino and in front of the Chair altar. There is not a stop on it that doesn't suck. And for Masses in the Square, they roll out a little portativ and stick a microphone in its guts. Remember, these folks have racial memories of the Romans gutting them out in the circuses to the tune of water-pressure organs. I'm not surprised that when it comes to instrument building, they're a bit conflicted.

quote:
these folks have racial memories of the Romans gutting them out in the circuses to the tune of water-pressure organs. I'm not surprised that when it comes to instrument building, they're a bit conflicted.
Oh, Tomb...that explains everything.

As an Orthodox Christian, I think I will now make a Novena to St. Healey Willan asking that when the Church is finally one again, the Sistine Choir be prohibited in perpetuum from using any form of Znamenny Chant.

Tone deaf after only a few days of this stuff,

Leetle M.

[ 22. April 2005, 02:28: Message edited by: Leetle Masha ]

quote:
quote:
these folks have racial memories of the Romans gutting them out in the circuses to the tune of water-pressure organs. I'm not surprised that when it comes to instrument building, they're a bit conflicted.
Oh, Tomb...that explains everything.

As an Orthodox Christian, I think I will now make a Novena to St. Healey Willan asking that when the Church is finally one again, the Sistine Choir be prohibited in perpetuum from using any form of Znamenny Chant.

Tone deaf after only a few days of this stuff,

Leetle M.

Well, honey, you're preaching to the choir on that one. You've gotta understand, however, that when your champion dies, the signals given off are somewhat ambiguous about his successors.

Inasmuch as the Sistina has, by papal edict, the right to sing any liturgy presided over by the Pope, intercessions to Toronto saints may not get you too far.

Query: I didn't know that Orthodox Christians sullied themselves with such western innovations as Novenas. Perhaps you're one of those western converts who has been inadequately chatechised? If so, you have more problems on your plate than worrying about the next Bishop of Rome. Wait until the Klobuk Enforcers show up on your doorstep.

quote:
I didn't know that Orthodox Christians sullied themselves with such western innovations as Novenas.
Just a little inside joke among us Sergianist-Ecumenist heretics, Tomb. I know, "Is Outrage!™"

Leetle M.

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
Hate to burst your bubble about the Mass setting, but it wasn't Cum Jubilo (ix For Feasts of the Blessed Virgin 1); it was De Angelis (viii. For Doubles). It's the only one that the Sistine Choir knows (trust me on this). Both were inappropriate. It should have been Lux et Origo (i. in Paschal time). NB: They did Credo iii; s/h/b i.

Tomb, are we talking about the same Mass. I have just listened to my recording of the Mass in the Sistina and it sure sounded like Cum Jubilo to me. If it wasn't, then what it certainly wasn't was De Angelis.

quote:
And Marini, the Master of Ceremonies for St. Peter's, who choreographed so many of JPII's dog and pony shows, was NOT IN EVIDENCE for any of the masses.
Except for the Papal Funeral and the Mass in the Sistina, as this picture shows.

quote:
Tomb, are we talking about the same Mass. I have just listened to my recording of the Mass in the Sistina and it sure sounded like Cum Jubilo to me.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure of this because Cum Jubilo and the Requiem setting are the only ones I know, and I was humming along.

FCB

Posted by rosamundi (# 2495) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
(And does anyone know when the installation will be on TV?)

BBC1, 8:50am, Sunday

Deborah

The rite is up on the web here.

Is this part newly revised?

Al Santo Padre prestano "obbedienza" una rappresentanza di dodici persone: tre Cardinali, un Vescovo, un Presbitero, un Diacono, due Religiosi, due Sposi, due ragazzi cresimati, provenienti da varie parti del mondo.

which I translate as:

The "obedience" is presented to the Holy Father by twelve representative persons: Three Cardinals, a Bishop, a Priest, a Deacon, two religious, two married persons, and two confirmed boys from the several parts of the world.

I don't know enough about what happened in 1978 to say.

quote:
... and two confirmed boys from the several parts of the world.

Does this mean the same as "confirmed bachelor" (i.e. these boys will always be boys) or does it mean that it has been confirmed that they are boys? If the latter, how did they confirm it? [Eek!]

Corpus

[Biased] Corpus.... chrismated boys.

Orthodoxy helps me with my Italian. [Big Grin]

My Italian is fine, but perhaps too colloquial. What on earth is obedience? [Big Grin]

Newman's Own asks quite rightly:

quote:
What on earth is obedience?
I'd need to give that further study and get back to you.... [Roll Eyes]

Leetle M.

Perhaps it is a liturgical obeisance or something... [Smile]

Any lack of clarity about a definition of sheer 'obedience' I'm sure should remain an eternal mystery... though, with Benedict, I have a feeling that we're about to find out...

quote:
[Biased] Corpus.... chrismated boys.

Well thank heavens for that [Biased]

Corpus

Not "oiled young men" then?

Posted by Midnight Scholar (# 9112) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:
quote:
... and two confirmed boys from the several parts of the world.

Does this mean the same as "confirmed bachelor" (i.e. these boys will always be boys) or does it mean that it has been confirmed that they are boys? If the latter, how did they confirm it? [Eek!]

Corpus

If my Italian hasn't entirely deserted me, I think 'ragazzi' means 'children' rather than 'boys' - as so often, the masculine plural is taken to include the feminine. (Ragazze (fem. plur.) would be 'girls' specifically, since the feminine doesn't include the masculine.) On the same principle a crowd of 200 women and one man is referred to in French as 'ils', only a female-only group qualifying as 'elles'.
This is how many of the Romance languages work [Roll Eyes]
Or maybe this is wishful thinking and I'm merely hoping it doesn't mean they have to be boys. The preceding noun (sposi) certainly isn't sex specific.

midnight

quote:
Not 'oiled young men'?
Hehe! Anointed does mean oiled, Chapelhead, but not in the sense that we've been thinking of when attempting to lubricate Gort.

Masher

Oh, and Elizabeth, Yes, I'm sure we'll be among the first to find out what "obedience" is.... [Big Grin]

[ 23. April 2005, 02:25: Message edited by: Leetle Masha ]

quote:
Is the MC an ordained priest too? I thought it looked like he had a clerical collar! Who is he??? and I wonder where he is from?
Perhaps we ought to make some Vatican Top Trump cards!

I finally found a clear picture of the MC to which I was referring here - he is standing to John Paul's left. Lord have mercy, what a handsome man! He obviously is a priest - perhaps a bishop - but I'm embarrassed to say I've forgotten his name (though we once met).

The Newman's Own Fanciability Rating is a fine idea for the Trump Cards. (John XXIII as a 'four' actually is generous - John Paul II would be an 8 or so, except that I've never quite fancied Slavic men.) How sad that the only 20th century 10 is Pius X...

[Tidied code]

[ 23. April 2005, 15:56: Message edited by: Anselmina ]

Posted by Illustrissimi (# 9296) on :

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Magic Wand:
[QB] The rite is up on the web here.

If you do a Google translation of the page from Italian, it comes up with the following sort of thing (hehe): "The Saint Padre laughed them in Basilica and joins to the processione of income. Reaching in Saint public square Peter, the concelebranti, after venerato the Altar, they kiss it and everyone catches up just the place."

Even funnier is the translation of B16's address to the Cardinals: "Venera You Siblings Cardinals!... To the intense emotions tried in occasion of the dead women of mine venerato predecessore Giovanni Paul II and then during the Conclave and above all to its epilogue add an intimate need of Hush and two feelings between complementary they: an alive desire of the heart ringraziare and a sense of human impotence..." Oh! I love technology!! [Yipee]

quote:
quote:
Perhaps we ought to make some Vatican Top Trump cards!

I finally found a clear picture of the MC to which I was referring here - he is standing to John Paul's left. Lord have mercy, what a handsome man! He obviously is a priest - perhaps a bishop - but I'm embarrassed to say I've forgotten his name (though we once met).
It's Archbishop Piero Marini, Papal MC.

[Tidied code.]

[ 23. April 2005, 15:58: Message edited by: Anselmina ]

quote:
It's Archbishop Piero Marini, Papal MC.
But hopefully not for long...

Alas I'm probably foolish to think that things will turn in an even slightly more traditional direction, but one can hope. And dumping Marini would be a giant step in that direction.

Thank you, Trisagion. I'm horribly embarrassed that I could meet and speak with Archbishop Marini, yet be so taken with his fanciability rating (10) that I forgot his name and rank. [Hot and Hormonal] Not to mention that I've seen him 'from a distance' or in television reports on countless occasions.

Wand, may I ask a bit more about how +Marini's tenure has caused liturgical difficulties? I'd be very interested - and this strikes me as a place where others would be as well. (I had noticed, of course, that for years he had to discreetly assist John Paul to maintain the dignity of his bearing in a long period of severely ill health.)

[ 23. April 2005, 16:02: Message edited by: Newman's Own ]

Posted by Illustrissimi (# 9296) on :

Why? The archbishop always strikes me as being pretty trad.

Posted by The Dumb Acolyte (# 1158) on :

Uh, back to the opening post...

My Italian is next to nonexistent, but the Vatican web site seems to be calling it the Imposition of the Pallium, Delivery of the Fisherman's Ring, and the Beginning of the Petrine Ministry of the Bishop of Rome. Have I got that right? Not a coronation at all.

Maybe the German Shepherd will be more loveable than some fear.

I know what a pallium is, but with which Pallium will he be invested?

This article from Yahoo provides a nice summary.

Posted by Dumbledore wannabe (# 9310) on :

Marini is excellent. He made a lot of traditionalists angry by letting native "expressions" into papal masses. He taught liturgy at the house where I lived and studied. He really is one of the best.

[Removed possibly libelous comments]

[ 23. April 2005, 23:01: Message edited by: jlg ]

quote:
Originally posted by Illustrissimi:
Why? The archbishop always strikes me as being pretty trad.

Because, If NO get's her way, he'll have to leave the priesthood to marry her [Big Grin]

quote:
If NO get's her way, he'll have to leave the priesthood to marry her
Yeah, 103, she saw him first, and fair's fair.... [Disappointed]

Leetle M.

All I seem to do is say "Mea maxima culpa" here. Perhaps all the shipmates should chant a good Dies Irae, boot me out, and extinguish some candles upside-down for me. (I do love good liturgy). I'm sure it would be done perfectly.
To Simon, and our hosts - I really am sorry for putting you at risk for my
"Removed possibly libelous comments".
I assure you they are true, but I totally understand.
"To understand all is to forgive all" (Good "Brideshead Theology")
Nonetheless, I will be very curious to see if you decide it is not libelous.
Albus +
PS Does a new member jump straight to "Shipmate" status for getting the prized [Removed possibly libelous comments]?

Posted by welsh dragon (# 3249) on :

So there will be an enthronement, but will there be a coronation?

quote:
quote:
If NO get's her way, he'll have to leave the priesthood to marry her
Yeah, 103, she saw him first, and fair's fair.... [Disappointed]

Leetle M.

Wrong Age, Wrong sex and spoken for! [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Wrong Age, Wrong sex and spoken for! [Roll Eyes]

Now I'm completely confused. Does this refer to NO, you or the Archbishop?!? [Confused]

Cc

Posted by Archbishop Paddy O'Laud (# 9294) on :

The Papal Tiara was sold off after Paul VI - one is not confected for succeeding Popes. It was, I believe, bought by the Knights of Columbus [American version of the Irish Knights of Saint Columbanus] and resides at the Cathedral near their offices and for which they pay big bucks to maintain annually. The cathedral that is - not the tiara. Having lost cash with an Irish Bookie on the election of Papa Ratzi I still feel confident to bet on the coronation - nope - none! Installation yes.

Posted by Annis (# 9366) on :

The Fisherman's Ring is the replacement for the crown.

[ 24. April 2005, 10:45: Message edited by: Annis ]

I suppose all the Brits are in Church, so we Yank's will have to weigh in with the first insta-comments.

Here's a few random comments to start us off:

So, what do you tat-mongers think of the new pallium? I like it, but then I have neo-patristic leanings.

Things seemed better organized than the funeral, particularly with regard to communion.

It's good to see the old-style Popemobile back. I never liked the glass-enclosed one.

I thought the homily was very good. I was particularly struck by his comment about the net not being whole. A lot of people might think that Benedict's version of ecumenism would be "the net is whole and you prots and orthodox just need to hop in it." His homily would seem to indicate that this is not the case.

I was glad to see that Rowan Williams can sing the Our Father in Latin without having to look at the book (not that I'm really surprised).

I was also glad to see that one of the "oiled young men" was in fact a girl.

Was it just wishful hearing on my part, or did the choir sound better than they did at JP2's funeral?

FCB

Well it was alright. I'd rather have a coronation though. I thought my bit went very well. Bit worried that my wimple might not cover my stubble, which would have blown my cover big time, but I got away with it. [Snigger]

Thought BXVI was fab. Good homily and - wow! He really can smile without looking evil. Do you suppose he's been practising all week?

Frankly, I thought some of the Cardinals looked much more well-oiled than the boys.

Corpus
P.S.
quote:
Originally posted by Archbishop Paddy O'Laud:
The Papal Tiara was sold off after Paul VI -

I think we dealt with this earlier in the thread and decided it is a myth. Or is it a legend? [Confused]

Isn't the palium given by the Pope to Archbishops he thinks are good eggs (or to all Archbishops)? Presumably Benny would have been given one by Paul VI, so is there a particular significance in him getting one today? The fisherman's ring is clearly significant, but is the palium?

[ 24. April 2005, 12:07: Message edited by: Chapelhead ]

Corpus, in that very confusing post of 103's, apparently he took my suggestion that the papal MC was seen first by NO to apply to him. It didn't. A quote from 103 at the beginning was wrongly attributed to me. All I said was that NO had first claim on the MC. Hope this clears things up.

Leetle M.

quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
The fisherman's ring is clearly significant, but is the palium?

Apparently. B16 talks about it in his homily.

FCB

Contrary to the opinions expressed so far,and the gushing on the BBC, the homily was the bit in the service that made me really uneasy. B16 started by saying that the entire communion of saints had been invoked three times recently: at JP2's funeral, at the start of the cardinals' election, and now at the inaugral mass. The first occassion showed that JP2 was not alone in his death (a christian is never alone) which was a warm thought. The second occassion showed that the cardinals were guided by the Holy Spirit and all the saints in appointing ME. (Not a warm thought.)

That early reminder that HE was the chosen one coloured everything else for me. It certainly means that I can't see his calls for unity in quite the sunny hues others have done.

quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:
Well it was alright. I'd rather have a coronation though.

I could be quite wrong on this, but it is my understanding theat in 'ye goode olde days' the coronation took place some weeks/months after the investiture. We can still live in hope, therefore.

Perhaps, Like Charles and Camilla, he could opt for a low-key civil ceremony?

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
I could be quite wrong on this, but it is my understanding theat in 'ye goode olde days' the coronation took place some weeks/months after the investiture. We can still live in hope, therefore.

I could be quite wrong on this but I thought they said on the BBC that they'd scrapped it and that there wouldn't be a coronation. They definitely said that the triple crown isn't used any more.

(They also came out with an interesting fact about how the Pope used to have to be preceded by someone with a bundle of flax which he would then set light to, shouting, "Sic transit gloria mundi", as it rapidly disappeared in smoke. Rather a nice touch, I'd have thought. It made me wonder if at the inaugural dinner later, they had someone appearing with a skull between courses and crying, "Memento mori".)

Posted by Sarum Sleuth (# 162) on :

They also came out with an interesting fact about how the Pope used to have to be preceded by someone with a bundle of flax which he would then set light to, shouting, "Sic transit gloria mundi", as it rapidly disappeared in smoke.

I believe this cheerful task was allocated to a Franciscan Friar, although it is so long ago that I read this, I could not swear to it.

On a slightly different aspect of the ceremony, did anybody notice that the deacons attending the Pope were wearing collars that were separate from their dalmatics and looked not dissimilar to apparelled amices?

It's nice to see some of St Pecy's ideas followed by Rome...... [Razz]

SS

Text of Benedict's homily

Though I loved his words about the Good Shepherd, I'm glad I was not the only one who was uneasy with hearing Benedict refer to his own election in terms of selecting the one whom God had chosen. I had the sense of all the saints of heaven chiming in... Then again, perhaps he meant more that he counts on their intercession. Benedict's Italian is excellent, but things often come out slightly different than one intended when one is speaking a language other than one's native tongue. (No professor wants such a 'job,' especially at 78, so I imagine he needs to remind himself as well that he was the one the Holy Spirit chose.)

Others might disagree, but I was rather glad that Benedict did not speak of the massive number of political issues confronting the Church - or the Church's possible influence in same. Not that he'll not need to do so later, but I was glad that it was not part of the first homily.

On a thread in Purgatory (which I found immensely helpful), FCB aptly spoke of Benedict's Augustinian emphasis. Yes, I love Augustine - though more when he is in Trinity mode - but Benedict reminded me strongly of him when he referred to the powers of evil.

I'm glad that Leetle Masha has established that I have first pick of the MC. [Big Grin]

[Hot and Hormonal] I of course meant 'differently.'

In case it was not obvious, when I said that Benedict perhaps is more counting on the intercession of the saints, I meant that rather wryly. I think he is finding it very comforting and sustaining as he undertakes the massive task - no 'perhaps' about it.

One part I did find strange. I loved John Paul's "Be not afraid!" sermon, and could understand Benedict's reference to this. Yet the ending puzzled me, because he said not to be afraid of Christ.

Has anyone got a link to Ratzinger's homily at JP2's funeral? I'd like to be able to look at it again.

There's the one Newman's Own just posted: Vatican link; or the BBC one (pdf), same text, which speaking for myself I find easier to read.

On the whole the homily was well done but like NO I was a bit concerned by the way he made his point with the three litanies--still given how busy everyone has been this last week it's a wonder anyone could put together something of that length in such a cogent manner encompassing the history, the readings and the ritual. Perhaps this was reading too much into his conclusion but I heard "do not be afraid to give yourself over to Christ" but that was listening to the Italian--spoken and speaking as well as the American commentator (the only rebroadcast we had was from the Italian television feed in English a leur facon and fioritura added by three American commentators). For a nice discussion of the pallium try to find a copy of Margaret Visser's (and her husband's)The Geometry of Love (I think that's the title)--she has a section tying the story she tells to the pallium--it goes back to the earliest days of Christian Rome.

quote:
Yet the ending puzzled me, because he said not to be afraid of Christ.

It made perfect sense to me -- the whole "Hound of Heaven" thing.

As for the litany of the saints reference: wouldn't it be strange for B16 to think that his election is not God's will?

I thought the best part was the following:
quote:
The pastor must be inspired by Christ’s holy zeal: for him it is not a matter of indifference that so many people are living in the desert. And there are so many kinds of desert. There is the desert of poverty, the desert of hunger and thirst, the desert of abandonment, of loneliness, of destroyed love. There is the desert of God’s darkness, the emptiness of souls no longer aware of their dignity or the goal of human life. The external deserts in the world are growing, because the internal deserts have become so vast. Therefore the earth’s treasures no longer serve to build God’s garden for all to live in, but they have been made to serve the powers of exploitation and destruction.
Very Augustinian (and I think that's a good thing).

FCB

Posted by stbruno (# 3505) on :

Thank goodness for the Litany of Saints. Most post -Council cathilics would never have encountered this fantastic litany -which like many of the traditional trappings went ut of fashion-or worse were made to be a cause for embrassment. And now the Litany has had three worldwide outings! Hopefully this is one devotion which may come back in- although kneeling on a hard floor for 20 mins or so can be very trying! Was it just me or did the litany end with an appeal to St Benedict?

I loved the pallium-it looked like the kind worn by Popes in the Middle ages-

The Holy Fathers crozier? Is this the same one as used by his predecessor?

Posted by Pendragon (# 8759) on :

I saw the inaugeration up until the end of the intercessions, when I had to go and be a good Anglican, and thought his homily quite reasonable, and as a result, I ended up leading some prayers for unity in the church this evening.

On the "how nice they all looked" front:
1)Am I the only one who thinks that shots of B16 with his mitre towering over his face are less flattering than the ones with him not wearing it?
2) Did you see the fantastic mantilla the lady standing in the Heads of State congregation next to the altar was wearing?
3) What was the person who read the Greek gospel wearing, other than a lot of gold cloth?
[ETA yes, I liked the Palium as well, once I worked out how it fitted (side view was unhelpful.)]

[ 24. April 2005, 23:44: Message edited by: Pendragon ]

In the U. S., the inauguration mass is now being rebroadcast on EWTN.

I'll warn you that EWTN has the commentators at full sound but the service muted. [Mad]

Regarding the Ordinaries to the Masses, the only one I recognized during the novendialis was de Angelis--and I've transcribed most of them from the Kyriale into modern notation. De Angelis is well-known to me, because I have sung it at the Vatican several times--for papal and chapter Masses.

I find it hard to believe the Cum Julilo was sung during the interregnum, but if some of you were humming along, then I bow to your racial memory. Actually, the Annunciation would have beem observed during the Interregnum (having fallen on Good Friday and being transferred to the next available day after the Octave of Easter). If they actually sang it on a Proper day, then they have more liturgical sense than I give them credit for.

I watched the first part of the investiture ceremony this morning (at 2 a.m. my time), but gave up after Bxvi got the Pallium--I skipped the homily, and there was no need to observe the Consecration: if you've seen one wafer turned into Jesus, you've seen 'em all.

I thought it was pretty cool that they did some research (in Lyons, if I remember) and invested him with a Pallium that was more ancient in design than the rags they currently hang on archbishops. And I thought the procession out of the Confessio was really cool.

I was dismayed that Msr. Liberto is still directing the Sistina (merciful God, that man's conducting style looks like he's killing flies) , but I stand by my contention that Bxvi is gonna get rid of him sooner than later.

Nice looking gospels. Of course, I like big golden gospels.

Posted by Spiffy da Wonder Sheep (# 5267) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pendragon:

2) Did you see the fantastic mantilla the lady standing in the Heads of State congregation next to the altar was wearing?

That would be Reina Sofia de Espana, and boy howdy, that's a great hat.

Posted by Spiffy da Wonder Sheep (# 5267) on :

I am a bad, naughty double poster, and here's a much better picture of the fancy hat.

And yet another mantilla.

One last hat picture, I promise.

Wow, the Orthodox Plot lost a few points with the Greek reading of the Gospel. It was discordant to put it nicely.

On the other hand, the Latin reading of the Gospel was excellent.

Hmm, Benedict's shoes are RED.

Mark the Punk posted:

quote:
the Orthodox Plot lost a few points with the Greek reading of the Gospel.
Mark, that deacon was from the Greek Uniate church under the Pope, not from the Greek Orthodox Church.

It may be, however, that you just don't care for the sound of Byzantine chant. Not to worry, many people find it hard to get used to.

Leetle M.

Posted by Mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
It may be, however, that you just don't care for the sound of Byzantine chant. Not to worry, many people find it hard to get used to.

Which has to be why churches of Russian and Antiochian background are taking in so many more new members than churches of a Greek background, no? [Big Grin]

I wouldn't think that was the only reason, Mousethief, if indeed the Russian and Antiochian churches are taking in more new members.

Some Antiochian churches I've visited don't do much better with Byzantine chant than that deacon did, and when the chant is in Arabic, it is even more difficult for English-speakers to appreciate. That's just the way the cookie crumbles, I suppose.

A question was asked earlier about what that Greek Catholic deacon was wearing. He was wearing a diaconal stole and a dalmatic, made of cloth of gold (I think), cut in the Byzantine style. Byzantine vestments are derived from the court dress of the Imperial Court in Constantinople.

Leetle M.

The Greek singers weren't so hot either.

On the other hand, I thought the homily was excellent.

You know, I can see that popery just might get real tempting to a number of conservative Anglo-Caths.

Gag! They are having a prayer in French now! I thought the Catholic Church had long ago cast off French domination!

Makes me wish the Cartholicks would chuck Vatican II and go back to Latin!

The "Greek Singers" Mark mentions are also Greek Catholics, rather than Greek Orthodox.

The Orthodox had representatives there, but those representatives took no active part in the service except to exchange the Peace.

Leetle M.

There aren't that many Greek Catholics around, are they? Are they about as common as Italian Presbyterians? Maybe that's why they had trouble finding any who could chant or sing.

quote:
Originally posted by stbruno:
Was it just me or did the litany end with an appeal to St Benedict?

You are correct, it did.

I say, is His Holiness's brother wearing a mantelletta?

Posted by Ogre (# 4601) on :

A nice photo: and very interesting. Has His Holiness Pope Bendict XVI's brother Fr Georg Ratzinger been bumped up to Protonotary Apostolic within the past week; or has he been a Monsignor for some time? I gather he was an eminent musican and priest, being Director of Music at Regensberg Cathedral for thirty years (1964-94). [Votive]

Posted by Pre-cambrian (# 2055) on :

My understanding is that St John Lateran is still the cathedral of Rome. Does anyone know if popes still get enthroned there, and if there are any plans for Benedict XVI?

quote:
Originally posted by Ogre:
A nice photo: and very interesting. Has His Holiness Pope Bendict XVI's brother Fr Georg Ratzinger been bumped up to Protonotary Apostolic within the past week; or has he been a Monsignor for some time? I gather he was an eminent musican and priest, being Director of Music at Regensberg Cathedral for thirty years (1964-94). [Votive]

Indeed he is!

Wikipedia saith:
"In 1967 he was named Monsignor and in 1976 papal honorary Prelate... In 1994, Georg Ratzinger was named a papal protonotary."

[ 25. April 2005, 11:53: Message edited by: Archimandrite ]

quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
My understanding is that St John Lateran is still the cathedral of Rome. Does anyone know if popes still get enthroned there, and if there are any plans for Benedict XVI?

According to the Zenit news service:

quote:
The Pope will take possession of his Chair ("incatedratio"), the Basilica of St. John Lateran, cathedral of the Diocese of Rome, on May 7.
FCB

So was it just the coverage that the Vatican beamed to North America, or did every English language news source have the Papal inauguration with a very annoying and verbose voiceover? A North American sounding personage gave a blow by blow discription of everything that was happening, translations of all the Latin, and identified whoever the camera cast its gaze upon. The music was thus inaudible, as was the Latin, and I stopped watching after the Collect, it was that bad!

At one point, he informed us we were hearing the choir sing the Litany of the Saints. Well, we weren't, we were listening to him talk about which bishop was which and translating the response, and missed the whole thing nearly, not helped my my ineffectual cries of "Shut the %$#%$#%$# up." [Mad]

Posted by Basselope (# 9175) on :

The voice-overs of Raymond Arroyo and Father Neuhaus during EWTN's coverage of JPII's funeral were overpowering and obnoxious. At least Christine Amanpour and Anderson Cooper on CNN allowed me to hear what was going on at the funeral, while the former two were more interested in talking everyone to death.

This seemed to be different, though. CBC had two commentators for the funeral, but the actual footage of the funeral itself had a different voice, the same as for the inauguration. I assumed this was a voiceover done "at source" rather than inserted by CBC, especially since coverage on another channel had the same voice. The exerpts I saw on BBC world service didn't have the voiceover, so I'm not sure how this situation developed. I am trying to figure this out, so that I can chastise the right source via a "Disgusted, Tunbridge Wells" type email. "Whom do I sue?"

quote:
So was it just the coverage that the Vatican beamed to North America, or did every English language news source have the Papal inauguration with a very annoying and verbose voiceover?

The BBC did it rather well, I thought. Most of the service was broadcast without interruption. Now and again one of the people in the studio would comment - in addition to the reporter assigned to it, they had one theologian, a nun and an archbishop (Vincent Nicholls, Birmingham). They didn't comment often, but Vincent Nicholls did help the reporter out now and again and I found his remarks thoughtful and interesting. Obviously he was a lot more familiar with what was going on than the reporter.

Posted by rosamundi (# 2495) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da Wonder Sheep:
I am a bad, naughty double poster, and here's a much better picture of the fancy hat.

*Ship's lacemaker starts drooling and has to go off for a nice lie down.*

Deborah

Did La Reina Sofia in that all-white get-up with veil remind anyone else of an overgrown First Communion girl?

quote:
Did La Reina Sofia in that all-white get-up with veil remind anyone else of an overgrown First Communion girl?

And has she kept it in the back of a cupboard since 1998 when she met JPII - royalty are careful about stuff like that?

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
So was it just the coverage that the Vatican beamed to North America, or did every English language news source have the Papal inauguration with a very annoying and verbose voiceover?

The BBC did it rather well, I thought. Most of the service was broadcast without interruption. Now and again one of the people in the studio would comment - in addition to the reporter assigned to it, they had one theologian, a nun and an archbishop (Vincent Nicholls, Birmingham). They didn't comment often, but Vincent Nicholls did help the reporter out now and again and I found his remarks thoughtful and interesting. Obviously he was a lot more familiar with what was going on than the reporter.
that sounded like Huw Edwards (newsreader/official occasion commentator to me.
[Edited because I clipped 'post' too soon]

[ 25. April 2005, 21:56: Message edited by: Pendragon ]

CNN was pretty good at the funeral for just letting us listen to the original and translations, but for the Sunday "coronation" they were appauling. I wish they had kept Anderson Cooper - instead they got Christien Lampur (or whatever her name is). She was horrible - she would not be quiet AND she didn't know a thing about what she was talking about other than to try and grind her own personal axes. Had I known, I would have taped it from ANY other station. Now, I feel better for having said that. I shall do what I wish she had done and be quiet.

Posted by Simon (# 1) on :

Anyone know how long B16's homily was, to the nearest minute? I need the info for a Mystery Worshipper report.

My TiVo recording clocks it at 35 minutes.

quote:
Originally posted by Pendragon:
that sounded like Huw Edwards (newsreader/official occasion commentator to me.

Yes, it was. He pretty much faded into the background after a short while and let Vincent Nicholls do most of the talking, if any, which was sensible as he was much more familiar with the procedures.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
they had one theologian

The theologian was an historian, Professor Eamon Duffy.

But an ecclesiastical historian, so a wannabe-theologian!

Thurible

Posted by anglicanrascal (# 3412) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da Wonder Sheep:
One last hat picture, I promise.

That's not a hat picture, it's a watch picture. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by anglicanrascal:
That's not a hat picture, it's a watch picture. [Roll Eyes]

Possibly a very necessary watch. The Times reported today that Benedict XVI has told his first joke as Pope. Arriving 20 minutes late for a meeting with German pilgrims he explained that he had become “a bit of an Italian” in his 23 years in Rome. He then added (to loud cheers) that he is still a Bavarian at heart.

Not exactly side-splitting, but a first entry in the “Benny the Sixteenth’s big book of jokes”.

My favourite papal joke with regard to time is when (and apparently this is true), +Geoffrey Fisher (was it +Geoffrey Fisher) was meant to be meeting the Pope, who apologised when he arrived late, and +Fisher's response was "Don't worry - no-one's infallible!"

Thurible

Posted by ORGANMEISTER (# 6621) on :

Can anyone help with some musical questions? As Ben rode around the piazza in the popemobile the organist played the Bach Toccata and Fugue in D minor.......and an excellent performance it was, especially nice job on the fugue. Where was the organ? Did they have a pipe organ or was it some electronic contraption?

....and at the end of the fugue, the organist launched into another piece. Does anyone know what it was?

quote:
My TiVo recording clocks it at 35 minutes.

It was a very long homily, wasn't it? I was just enjoying watching all those wilting dignitaries out in the midday Roman sun. (It was warm here too on Sunday and I was enjoying an iced tea at the time.) But I've since read the homily, downloaded from the Vatican website, and it reads a lot better than it sounded. Beautifully crafted, with nicely balanced emphases. A hint of playing to the gallery but I think we could make an allowance for that given the occasion. I hope this is something we can look forward to from B16 - elegant homilies in the classical manner.

Yesterday, I read a report on Yahoo news related to Benedict's address (not at the inauguration, but to German compatriots.) I was impressed by his frankness - he described knowing he'd be elected as similar to going to the guillotine!

I'm not always the most alert of people, royal watcher though I am, and Jennifer's post reminded me of a question (bear with me, since it's trivia probably only I would wish to know.) At the inauguration, I think I spotted a few royal virgins in communion white. Who was who?

Eamon Duffy (a great favourite of mine) was excellent in his comments on all the recent papal ceremonies. He never says anything which could offend the most devout Catholic, yet has a refreshing openness and honesty.

Posted by ORGANMEISTER (# 6621) on :

Can anyone help with some musical questions? As Ben rode around the piazza in the popemobile the organist played the Bach Toccata and Fugue in D minor.......and an excellent performance it was, especially nice job on the fugue. Where was the organ? Did they have a pipe organ or was it some electronic contraption?

....and at the end of the fugue, the organist launched into another piece. Does anyone know what it was?

quote:
Who was who?

The Queen of Spain and the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, I think.

Queen of Spain was the one in the very tall Mantilla-according to the answer to the comment I made about said item of apparel.

quote:

HRH is entitled to the privilege du blanc as are other Roman Catholic queens and the Grand Duchess of Luxenbourg.

quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:

St. John Lateran is the Cathedral for the Diocese of Rome. Yes, he is going to be enthroned there.

I seem to recall that St. Peter's is actually the patriarchal church for the Patriarch of Constantinople when in Rome. Could anyone else confirm/deny this bit of useless trivia?

quote:
Originally posted by Sacristan:
quote:

HRH is entitled to the privilege du blanc as are other Roman Catholic queens and the Grand Duchess of Luxenbourg.
It looks like a wedding dress to me. Why do RC queens get to wear white?

Just 'cause.

Well, a bit or research (very little, you all must understand) has provided this about the privilege du blanc . Please scroll down to about the 10th paragraph.

The fact that there were only two Roman Catholic highnesses at the inauguration was perhaps the most striking example of how the world has changed since the Reformation. At first it was a bit shocking to see the two figures in white with mantillas and then it dawned on me who the "last of their kind" were....

Of course, if Benedict chooses a coronation later perhaps one of the Bonapart heirs would be available to do the honours.

Oh, and the commentary about the pallium's model given by ABC/Vatican feed gave Tours as the French city where the original is kept by the chapter. That of course would be a tie to St. Martin's see.

Posted by Pre-cambrian (# 2055) on :

The Queen of the Belgians is also a catholic monarch and so would be accorded the privilege. I assume she wasn't there.

Monaco and Liechtenstein are also catholic monarchies but letting in Grand Duchesses is one thing, including mere Princesses is probably one step too far down the hierarchy.

Is it now time to rename this thread "MW 1008: Papal Coronation"?

I loved reading the report, by the way, except the bit about Benedict looking old and tired. I was struck how sprightly and happy he looked, for a man of his age faced with the vocation he has now to fulfil.

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

As mentioned, MW Report 1008: St Peter's Square, Vatican City is now available.

[ 29. April 2005, 19:22: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I loved reading the report, by the way, except the bit about Benedict looking old and tired. I was struck how sprightly and happy he looked, for a man of his age faced with the vocation he has now to fulfil.

Yes. He looked rather nervous and a bit shy at the beginning, I thought. I found myself unexpectedly warming to him at that point, it seemed a very human reaction. He seemed to relax more as the ceremony progressed until by the time he was doing the Popemobile bit he looked as if he was really enjoying it. That is the bit that for me stands out most vividly: he looked so much happier and to my mind somewhat younger than he'd done at the start of the ceremony. (Though part of that could well have been relief that the major and most public part was coming to an end.)

Posted by jprainbow (# 8813) on :

Thanks, Mystery Worshipper, Mother and Baby Clanger for the report on the new Pope's first service. I really enjoyed reading it. There was a wonderful mixture of reverent worship and homeliness, which is just how I imagine Jesus was - and all of us, really, who try to follow Him. Thanks again!

Well folks,

Those of you who were waiting for a coronation either now or in the future can forget about it. If BXVI's coat of arms is an indication at all, a triple tiara won't be in use any time soon. Even JP2 had retained it as part of the design above his shield but HH's new arms only display a mitre above and a palium (old style!) below.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

Speaking of the Papal coat of arms, I saw a picture of BXVI in the paper this morning; the banner below his window still displays JPII's arms.

I'd have thought the Vatican would have produced a new one by now. Perhaps the new arms haven't been devised yet?

Dear basso,

I refer you to my comments made above.

For more details go here .

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

Thanks for the additional information, Sacristan.

Was he using JPII's arms because the Vatican hasn't had a chance to run up a new banner with his own?

That would seem the only logical reason.

Posted by Archbishop Paddy O'Laud (# 9294) on :

Wossisname remarked that the fishermans ring was a replacement for the Tiara. Not so, it originally was engraved with the papal seal and was used to make impressions on sealing wax for important papal documents. Pallii plural of pallium are made from the wool of lambs harvested on St. Agnes day and are given as a sign of Archiepiscopal authority. Some have relics in the pinheads holding it in position on the chasuble. And yes, the Vatican didn't have a new banner for Papa Ratzi as they wouldn't have known what coat of arms he desired - unless the election was a fiddle - and that could never happen now, could it?

Posted by Mertseger (# 4534) on :

Minor editorial point on MW1008: The "Did anything distract you?" section is not set off in red and is currently shown as part of the "What musical instruments were played?" section.

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

Thanks--I've let the MW Report editors know.

quote:
Originally posted by Archbishop Paddy O'Laud:
Pallii plural of pallium

'Pallia' in Latin, I think you'll find.

© Ship of Fools 2016