Thread: AS: Universities - Watch out here they come!! Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000654

Posted by Petrified (# 10667) on :

It doesn't seem 5 minutes since I carried him out of the maternity ward, but pebble has now has his place confirmed and will be off in 6 weeks or so.

30 years almost to the day he will be going to my old uni and, quite likely, staying in the same accommodation (much tarted up), many things have changed since then.

Does anyone have any helpful advice or tips for all those about to fly the coop (and their parents) must have items or, often more vital, don't bother with items.

[ 30. December 2007, 20:38: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

Posted by rufiki (# 11165) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Petrified:
Does anyone have any helpful advice or tips for all those about to fly the coop (and their parents) must have items...

You can never have too many teaspoons! Just before I went to Uni my neighbour bought me an electrical extension lead for my birthday. Not very exciting but it's proved useful in most of my accomodation, where there often aren't enough sockets or they're in silly places.

quote:
...or, often more vital, don't bother with items.
When I started my (maths) degree I was presented with a reading list of must-have books. I dutifully went out and bought them all but never opened most of them.

Posted by PeteCanada (# 10422) on :

It's really not necessary to phone him every day; or write him. He's long past the point of summer camp where you could unpack his knapsack and find his clothes just as you packed them - except for the swimming suit, and towel.

He'll eat unhealthily. He'll stay up late. He'll get up early for things that interest him. Not too much else. He'll go out with his friends. He'll even study (I hope).

Make sure he packs at least one set of going out clothes - even a tie.

I found it useful to have some small things I was used to having around. It made my accomodation home.

One decent bath towel made a big difference to me. Back in my day the towels supplied by residences were of the cheap hotel sort.

Oh, and make sure he knows how to strip and remake a bed. And can do laundry.

In my day, I found a bottle opener and a can punch very useful. Possibly he won't need those esoteric items.

Advice to parents: don't cry as he leaves you.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Toilet roll! Particularly if he has to share a toilet.

quote:
Originally posted by PeteCanada:
Oh, and make sure he knows how to strip and remake a bed. And can do laundry.

I have already explained that the laundry fairies don't make house calls.

Posted by Catrine (# 9811) on :

I was told before leaving to bring a stereo and favourite CD's (which you'll prob bring anyway- or an Ipod or something), but to have them easy to get at. When you are unpacking your life into your small halls cell, I mean room, not only is it comforting for you the fresher, but also attracts friends.

You will definately need a 4 plug extension lead as most rooms only have 2 plugs. Cushions are also great as your friends will come and sit in your room from time to time. Bring posters and photos for your walls (and blutac to put them up with) as these are often dull magnolia.

Finally, and most importantly bring teabags, there is no crisis that cannot be improved with tea- also will help you make friends, etc (you might also need a kettle, but sometimes there is a communal kitchen with one, sometimes they don't allow them in rooms as they are apparantly a fire hazard).

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Write letters regularly (i.e. every two or three days) and send him emails (once you know his email address). They only need to be about the trivia of life, such as how big the tomato plants are (When my sister was a Corrymeela my parents' saga of the tomatoe plants beat Coronation Street in the entertainment stakes amongst the volunteers).

Firstly he looses no cred through getting them. Secondly getting post is important, it makes you feel cared for. Thirdly they can be read again and again if home sickness overtakes him, while a phone call only last the length of the call.

Jengie

[ 17. August 2007, 10:50: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

Posted by wesleyswig (# 5436) on :

The knowledge that you will help him out with any crisis he faces at uni on the practical living side, such as calling going

"I have a burning pan of cheese infront of me what do I do with it?!??!"

Don't overinforce the knowledge he can do it but it'll be helpful to remember, same goes for general household things like sorting bills/broken stuff etc.

Regards
John

Sorry, missed the edit window, but also a camera is great to bring with you. I have hundreds of photos of my uni days which I hold very dear.

I also kept an infrequent diary/journal, which helped me remember some of the events that happened with all the people I met.

Some of us met up pretty recently and laughed at the things we got up to, as you will invariably forget, because a) a lot will happen like events/nights out/minor crises b) you may be intoxicated often c) there will be a lot of people to remember

So far we have:-

vital - bottle opener

Don't need - books

Seems ok to me [Killing me]

On the electricals point some unis require items to be safety checked, others don't, those who do may offer a cheaper service than at home.

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Write letters regularly (i.e. every two or three days) and send him emails (once you know his email address).... looses no cred through getting them....

My mum sent me a birthday cake in the post one year (well, a plain cake with a little bag of icing sugar enclosed). All housemates were impressed.

Some halls don't allow blue-tak on the walls so check first (it'll probably somewhere in the gumph he's sent). Lots of halls have large pin-boards in the rooms though so he could take some pins with the posters.

Another thought - don't stress too much about having everything completely planned and sorted. Figuring stuff out communally and helping each other plays a big part in cementing relationships with new flat-mates/hall-mates. (I had to borrow a mug for my first few Uni cups of tea [Hot and Hormonal] )

Posted by Max. (# 5846) on :

My mum was obsessed last year with giving me RICE! Like, everytime she was in London she would bring a goodie bag with RICE in it!

Rice is OK, but not when you have nothing BUT rice!

I must say - I'm surprised that in the last year I passed every subject I took with flying colours (I think the college has been fiddling my grades so they can grab more money from me in the next years) I had a very wild year, wasting money, clubbing, drinking, running around Bloomsbury stealing vacuum cleaner boxes (1 million super mega happy fun points to the person who can guess which brand of vacuum cleaner box I stole from number 24 Gower Street) and my mum would be absolutely shocked!

I got a regular sleeping pattern set up, I went to bed at about 4am and woke up at about 10am most nights and most lessons at college began in the afternoon so that was ok [Big Grin]

What a fun year [Big Grin] This year will be even better I hope! [Smile]

Max

It just dawned on me - don't send food - send prepaid gift cards to his favourite coffee shop ...

I lived on coffee and tea and caffeinated soft drinks. My Freshman year, I didn't sleep for 42 hours while doing my last set of exams. Two one day, and one the next morning, the afternoon and morning of the last day were my most badly prepared subjects.

I slept in the car on the way home though. My dad drove.

Posted by Tazman (# 12891) on :

I finished uni this year and spent my first yr living in halls.

My room was on the small side so I would consider cutting back on non essential items of books, cds, clothes (judge by term season) etc until he finds digs in his second yr. Most people at uni didn't bring everything they owned, because they were still living at home prior to studying, whereas I moved out of my own two bed flat into an 8 by 12 room...hmm!

If he is a 'normal' student he will spent 80% of his loan on new clobber, anyway. (which really isn't a great idea unless he's gonna get a job as well).

I think one non essential item that is a great asset is a small house plant. It reminds you to take care of yourself ie. water and sunlight essential! And he will have something to look after, now that he is no longer officailly the one being looked after anymore.

One of my friend's parents wouldn't send money, but when she was really skint or was waiting for wages her mum would shop on tescos online and have the food delivered to her digs. Good way to show you care without throwing £'s at their feet.

Also i was really annoyed that noone thought to buy me books at christmas time. They can be up to or between £25-50 for some required reading, as well as all the others you have to buy on top.

My experience was that the library cost me more in fines than buying the books outright. Oh the joys of growing up. Good luck to him!

Tash [Yipee]

Posted by Arrietty (# 45) on :

If you send a gift card for a coffee shop register it online so you can replace it if it gets lost ...

If the uni provides a list of kitchen essentials that can help. I'd have liked to splash out but actually I got the cheapest of everything as then it didn't matter too much if anything went missing. I added a few items that weren't on the list that I knew he used regularly and the thing that apparently was most impressive was the egg whisk as no-one else on his corridor had one.

I got a set of 3 small plastic drawers (the sort you get in stationary shops) and filled them with stuff like scissors, basic sewing kit, basic medical supplies, basic stationary things like drawing pins, sellotape etc - the sort of stuff you expect to find whenever you need it at home and don't really want to have to go out and buy specially each time you need them.

I also provided some quick foods to tide him over for about the first week. My son (who likes to think of me as a Wendy Craig type daffy mum - even though I don't think I am!) said afterwards it was hysterically funny the way the food I'd provided ranged from really basic stuff like baked beans to exotic ready meals.

I think to be honest all this was more therapy for me than a help to him, I'm sure he'd have managed find without any of it but it did act as a kind of symbolic reassurance in those early days that he still had back up, and it helped me to think that he'd taken a bit of home with him.

Posted by dolphy (# 862) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tazman:
I think one non essential item that is a great asset is a small house plant. It reminds you to take care of yourself ie. water and sunlight essential!

If you do have a house plant, make sure it is sturdy enough to deal with alcohol and ciggie butts! Ahhh, the memories of music college parties!

quote:
Originally posted by dolphy:
quote:
I think one non essential item that is a great asset is a small house plant. It reminds you to take care of yourself ie. water and sunlight essential!

If you do have a house plant, make sure it is sturdy enough to deal with alcohol and ciggie butts! Ahhh, the memories of music college parties!
You have memories of college parties [Confused]

Posted by mummyfrances (# 8635) on :

The thing I really regretted forgetting was COAT HANGERS.

college halls rarely provide them, even if they did at one stage they will have walked off many years previously.

And of course, nobody remembers them, so it is virtually impossible to buy them locally to unis for the first three weeks of term: i had to get tiny kiddy ones and improvise extensions with garden canes. [Help]

For him: my big meeting people at uni trick was to ask everyone their fave flavour of ice cream: much more memorable than a name alone, and you ca get into a good conversation, which helps banish nerves a bit!

quote:
Originally posted by mummyfrances:
For him: my big meeting people at uni trick was to ask everyone their fave flavour of ice cream: much more memorable than a name alone, and you ca get into a good conversation, which helps banish nerves a bit!

Oooo could this be the long sort-after Fourth Question?

(What's your name? Where are you from? What are you studying? Um...)

quote:
quote:
Ahhh, the memories of music college parties!

You have memories of college parties [Confused]
Well she may have been like me, even crazier if sober than drunk. Only snag is you do remember in the morning.

Jengie

Posted by Freelance Monotheist (# 8990) on :

Coat hangers, mugs, not too many pans, sets of cutlery or plates (means you *have* to wash up after every meal), a CD player & cCd's (or the equivalent), extension plug thing for stupidly-placed & sorely lacking sockets...
A trunk to carry belongings in is good, and if you cover it with a blanket & some cushions, you have extra seating space.
Cleaning stuff (washing up liquid, sponges etc) & tea-towels are also essential.
I remember doing my laundry for the first time & had to borrow some detergent, as there weren't any dispensers or anything. Oh, and you need to start saving your 20 p pieces and pound coins for the laundrette (the 'Site Office/Security/Post collection' place opposite the laundrette didn't do change, grrr)- it was £2.40 for a wash then 20 p for 20 mins in the dryer, often more if you got a machine that 'ate' your money or didn't wash or dry properly!
Also, the heating in halls can be pretty crappy/erratic, so bring lots of layers/bed socks/ a dressing gown so you can put on or discard layers as you need them.
E-mail is also a good, quick way of getting in touch and the offspring should have that sorted by the end of his first or second week.
Bring lots & lots of photos for Registration, as, like someone said, you'll need at least one for every card you own (library, NUS, any clubs you join).
A wall calender can be quite useful for counting down days til holidays/end of term or year/start of exams, making note of new friends' Birthdays & deadlines for assignments/essays/projects. Pin or blutack it over the desk and see everything you need to do at a glance.
Photos of home/family/friends can be comforting too.
Once my parents had left & I'd had a bit of a cry, I wandered down into town to explore & met another fresher who was in my hall, and we ended up going to a café together which was nice. It's so different from High School, as there's a lot more respect, it's a lot less cliquey and, while you might not be bosom pals with the people on your corridor, everyone's usually pretty respectful & polite to one another. My closest friends from Uni are definitely my friends for life-it sounds cheesy, but it's true!
If you belong to a certain denomination/religion, maybe you can check out churches in the area online & print off the map/directions so your offspring has a head start on that front.
Plus, lots of churches 'adopt' a student and feed them for free, so offspring will get to see a different part of the area/town, get some 'proper'/'real' food & hopefully have some wise friends/second set of parents for advice etc. Very useful, I must say, especially if your child is quite some way away from where you are.
Do not get offended when offspring comes back for the first time & refers to uni as 'home'. He or she means Uni 'home', not 'home' home!
Good luck to parents having offspring leaving the nest, and good luck to the offspring who'll be out there discovering the joys of uni life-enjoy it while it lasts, as it goes really really fast & continues to get faster every year!

Posted by angelica37 (# 8478) on :

Some good ideas welcome here, it looks like we'll be bidding the eldest offspring farewell as he passed his A levels and is off to Warwick.
I'll miss him but he is a fairly sensible chap and competent in the arts of making bacon sandwiches and using a washing machine.

Posted by dolphy (# 862) on :

quote:
Well she may have been like me, even crazier if sober than drunk. Only snag is you do remember in the morning.

I'm saying nothing! [Biased]

Posted by Auntie Doris (# 9433) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
running around Bloomsbury stealing vacuum cleaner boxes

All you stole was vacuum cleaner boxes?!!!! [Eek!] When I was in halls lots of road signs went missing and were to be found in our common room!! [Two face]

When I first went to uni I ended up sharing a room with a very strange girl ( [Snigger] ), but we have remained best of friends to this day. I would say a kettle for your room is essential as well as mugs, tea-bags and coffee.

Auntie Doris x

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

Needle and thread.

If offspring is interested in religion get him/her to go to the chaplaincy.

Reasons:

Jengie

[ 17. August 2007, 18:46: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

Posted by Tazman (# 12891) on :

quote:
not too many pans, sets of cutlery or plates (means you *have* to wash up after every meal)
yes.

one plate, especially. It works!

exception is wine glasses. Obviously!

[Yipee]

And two mugs, so you can share with a new friend.

Oh heck! Just pack up Mum's kitchen! [Two face]

Posted by OliviaG (# 9881) on :

quote:
Originally posted by wesleyswig:
The knowledge that you will help him out with any crisis he faces at uni on the practical living side, such as calling going

"I have a burning pan of cheese infront of me what do I do with it?!??!"

Whatever you do, please do not call his professor / residence advisor / departmental secretary / me and threaten to sue or have someone fired if something isn't done about his burning cheese right this very moment. Please?
[Overused] <---- closest thing to a grovelling, begging smilie
OliviaG

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

*scribbles furiously*

keep'em coming, folks! my shopping trip is tomorrow.

and thank you! [Big Grin]

Posted by WatersOfBabylon (# 11893) on :

quote:
Also i was really annoyed that noone thought to buy me books at christmas time. They can be up to or between £25-50 for some required reading, as well as all the others you have to buy on top.

£25-50? Oh, I envy you... I didn't know textbooks came that cheap.

I was an RA of a freshman dorm, and I told each one of my residents to go buy a bottle of Crest vanilla mint whitening toothpaste. When it dried, it matched the color of the walls perfectly, and it made for some quick and easy spackling, come room inspection time. I avoided hundreds of dollars in fees because I was able to fill in my nail holes.

Posted by Alex Cockell (# 7487) on :

Over one comment - whitening toothpaste as Polyfilla ? Well -I suppose it *is* Polyfilla for teeth! [Big Grin]

And re the 4-way mains strip... ONE 4-way? Try 4! (you can never tell when one might be needed for something communal)

Reckon ready meals are easier nowadays - as you can get retort-pouched stuff. I live alone and work - and yet find the easy stuff helpful at times. Fox's crackers and single-serving tuna-in-sauce tins.. they're useful at a pinch...

Save 75cl bottles... get the personal kettle tested, use UHT or sterilised milk - means that you're not bound to the fridge (and can keep backups in case some scrote decides to do a fridge-raid as happened to me once)...

Chaplaincy - oh yes - I used to spend HOURS there...

Alex, remembering student days.

We're in the tough spot that Chasee is flying far away to Boston, we're not driving her there, so she has to fit everything she brings into her luggage. So I'm trying to figure out what she needs to bring from here versus buy there. the glitch being she will have no transport or know how to find good deals when she is first there.

argh!

So, assuming limited space, what would be people's, say, top ten must-bring items? (aside from clothes, toothpaste, the obvious stuff)

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

1) what they really want is more money

2) homesickness kicks in in week 2

3) therefore visit them in week 3, carrying whatever it is they think they have left at home and need.

4) but don't expect to be introduced to their friends. Go in, say hello, give them stuff, buy them a coffee, leave.

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
So, assuming limited space, what would be people's, say, top ten must-bring items? (aside from clothes, toothpaste, the obvious stuff)

I've always flown away to school, both to boarding school and college. While my neighbors in the dorm pulled up to college with a truckload of knick-knacks, I had to keep it to two suitcases.

I tried to pack minimally in my suitcases: clothes for the fall, toiletries that I would need on-call (toothpaste and deodorant. Shampoo could wait.), and a few framed pictures. I had Josephine ship me my winter gear, and everything else, I bought: clothes hangers, detergent, shampoo, a pillow, decorations, a rug... I do recommend bringing your own sheets, though, because those can get pricey for poor college folk. I carried on instruments.

Also, you might want to check to see if the college provides storage during breaks.

Luckily, though, I got most amenities for free. My school has a "Free Store" where people bring all of their junk that they don't want anymore and other students can go claim what they want. I got good winter clothes, some new shoes, a coffee maker, and a mini-fridge, all for free. It was a beautiful thing.

Oh, and estimate the number of days you think it will take him to find and figure out the campus laundry system. Make sure there are at least that many pairs of underwear packed.

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
When I was in halls lots of road signs went missing and were to be found in our common room!! [Two face]

I still have one another student at UC San Diego stole and left by the elevator: La Jolla Shores Drive.

I'll second having a camera: it helps to remember your favourite places and friends and people you once dated.

Except for summertime, I usually lived in frat houses or flats so I or my girlfriend could do our own cooking.

quote:
So, assuming limited space, what would be people's, say, top ten must-bring items?

I think the obvious stuff is probably the only stuff you should bring, but here you go.

1. Clothes, some stuff for winter, but also going out tops. Shoes, a pair of trainers, I did a shed load of exploring in my first couple of weeks and my skate trainers really saved me. Maybe a pair of going out shoes. Tell her to wear as much on the plane as she can.

2. Toiletries for the journey only- maybe just a toothbrush/paste/deoderant/moisturiser. She can buy the rest when she gets there

3. Camera if she has one- I love my photos of Uni times.

4. Ipod & Speakers if she has them, thus eliminating the need for CD's and a big stereo

5. Pictures of friends and family

6. Something comforting from home- she'll know herself what this is

7. Bedlinen (although Uni in Boston might do this, halls in the UK generally don't)

8. Towel (although arguably she could get it when she gets there, it's nice to get a shower when you arrive after travelling).

9. Hairdryer/straighteners

Well ok, that's only 9 but I think the key thing is to decide what things she can easily obtain when she gets there (without much cost) and which things would cost a lot to replace. The storage thing is a big issue too, whether the Uni has a cupboard where she can keep her stuff. I used to fly over to Liverpool (where I went to Uni) and this was the advice my Mum gave me.

Having to source local supplies also makes you a bit of a minor celebrity with some other freshers as you 'have the knowledge' and can say to all those hot lost men looking for the nearest shop that you'll show them, it'll take too long to explain! [Biased]

Comet

May I suggest that you also give her a list of things to ask after. So she needs a crockery, you ask her to ask for directions to a good hardware store, or any local charity shops! Tell her to keep asking until more than one person recommends the same place.

Secondly get her a good street map of Boston before she goes. Then if the worst comes to the worst she can ask people where she is and they can find it on the map. Why before? because you nearly always have to go somewhere very early on and its nice to have the ability to plan how to get there. Tell her to write on the map any information that is useful for directions (e.g. where bus stops are and which services)

Jengie

Posted by Paul W. (# 1450) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
When I was in halls lots of road signs went missing and were to be found in our common room!! [Two face]

I've still got the traffic cone I "acquired" in Freshers' Week. Eight years ago. Moved house six or seven times since then too. I know where I got it from, so I'll take it back one day.

Paul W

Posted by chukovsky (# 116) on :

Whatever you do, do not:
a) Hang around your children's possible future department asking far more questions than your child, and making your child look bad and unkeen/unprepared.

b) Ring up your children's tutors to find out whether they have a place/tell them your children's grades/lie about your children's grades.

c) Ring up or write to your children's tutors to find out why they have not seen them yet/given them an extra easy assignment/marked their assignment/given them an A.

d) Persuade your child that they cannot come to see their tutor unless you give them a lift (an hour's train ride alone being beyond your child), and then expect to sit in on the meeting with the tutor.

The only circumstances in which communication from a parent to a university department is acceptable is when your child has broken their leg and can't get to the phone/lost their voice/been caught in the tsunami/been admitted to hospital.

Otherwise your child is an adult, and not treating them as such will not endear your child to their tutors, nor will it improve their chances of getting good marks.

I have one student whose mother has been doing c) and d) and I am afraid to say that although her dissertation is not due in till next February, I cannot foresee a good mark for her unless she seriously gets her act together.

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

quote:
Secondly get her a good street map of Boston before she goes.

There is no such thing as a good street map of Boston! Especially post-BigDig.

Posted by Miffy (# 1438) on :

quote:
We're in the tough spot that Chasee is flying far away to Boston, we're not driving her there, so she has to fit everything she brings into her luggage. So I'm trying to figure out what she needs to bring from here versus buy there. the glitch being she will have no transport or know how to find good deals when she is first there.

argh!

Similar situation with Ms Miffy - beginning 2nd year uni in the UK - with the first term in New York. She texted Thurs a.m. our time, to say she'd arrived safely and is, I think, moving into college accomodation tomorrow sometime. Travelled over with one huge suitcase on wheels and a large rucksack. When/if we go out to see her later, we'll travel light so that we can cart some of her stuff back over the Atlantic for her. Don't know how much self-catering she'll be doing, as offically she's on a meal plan, so hopefully she won't have to waste too much money buying cheapish cooking utensils that she'd have to leave behind when she goes home.

Posted by Emma. (# 3571) on :

Im finding this thread strangely freaky. My father wasn't even in the country when I went to uni and I don't remember any fatherly advice about what to pack/take etc!

However, as I didnt have the most stereotypical upbringing I guess its another one of those ways Im a bit different to some folk! I found it liberating when I got to uni not to have cook every meal myself, have some bedlinen washed (i was in halls for the first year) and to have others around etc -ie I found it far "easier" when I was at uni!! I had been fending for myself for some time before then, but I don't think I quite realised how unusual I was!.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

From what I heard of the open days/interviews for the universities this year they seem to have laid on presentations and tours for the parents who came too; only 5% of the kids arrived independently. "Heard" because I was one of the very few mean and nasty parents who sorted out the train tickets and told her get on with it, reckoning if she couldn't get herself to the open day on her own she wasn't going to cope looking after herself away from home. If the parents still want to get involved when little Johnny has arrived the universities could be reaping what they sow from the expectations from making the parents welcome.

Stupid question - how extreme would it be to set up food deliveries? My daughter has big food intolerances/allergies and will struggle to feed herself (especially if her flat mates decide she has food to available when they roll in from the pub)

Posted by mountainsnowtiger (# 11152) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Stupid question - how extreme would it be to set up food deliveries? My daughter has big food intolerances/allergies and will struggle to feed herself (especially if her flat mates decide she has food to available when they roll in from the pub)

Doesn't seem a stupid qu to me. If a student with no health problems or dietary restrictions had their mum sending them regular food deliveries, I'd be stunned by the amount of nannying going on and I'd probably also take the mick. In your daughter's case, however, it sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing to do. Have you talked to her halls about her dietary requirements and whether they can help out in any way? My college gave me (coeliac) a mini-fridge to have in my bedroom (they offered this to any student with medical dietary restrictions) - this was incredibly helpful - could keep my own butter etc, in my bedroom, rather than having it in the communal fridge and wondering if (or more likely when) other people were going to get bedcrumbs in it, etc. If you're able to get her a fridge or a mini-fridge so she can keep her food completely separate to that of her flat-mates, it might be a weight off your and her mind, but I realise this might not be feasible due to cost, or the issue of if she has to empty her room completely during vacations.

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
quote:
Secondly get her a good street map of Boston before she goes.

There is no such thing as a good street map of Boston! Especially post-BigDig.
it's really confusing right down there where the Big Dig was, too. from what I can see looking at lots of maps!

And that's where Berklee is. but at least you all name your streets down there, so that's something! and it looks like just about her whole life will be within walking distance. another bonus for her being downtown.

Chasee had the "reality" moment tonight; same one she had two weeks before she left for Thailand. was terrified and had a good cry, so we had a pep talk. compared to Bangkok at 16, Boston at 18 should be a piece of cake. And school will be challenging, but she'll eat it up. This kid has been breathing music since she was about 2.

another one for other people's checklists: a closable accordion folder, small, for important documents like birth certificate, school documents, car insurance, shot record, etc.

quote:
From what I heard of the open days/interviews for the universities this year they seem to have laid on presentations and tours for the parents who came too; only 5% of the kids arrived independently. "Heard" because I was one of the very few mean and nasty parents who sorted out the train tickets and told her get on with it, reckoning if she couldn't get herself to the open day on her own she wasn't going to cope looking after herself away from home. If the parents still want to get involved when little Johnny has arrived the universities could be reaping what they sow from the expectations from making the parents welcome.

All change from twenty years ago. My parents came to one visit simply because they offered to drive me over. For one visit (my first) I even had to arrange my own train tickets!! Well I had twenty four hours notice and both parents were working. School was prepared to let me off to sort this out!

I'd second telling halls and especially if she is in self catering getting her, her own mini-fridge. If she has got allergies she will also need tough cleaning stuff if she is in shared self catering. There is no guarantee that other students will clean well enough for food cooked in the communal kitchen to be safe for her.

Oh and tell her from somebody who went through uni with unrecognised milk intolerance, that fussing about what she eats is really, really worth it. I have friends who were in the same hall as me, who wish I had done precisely that.

Jengie

[ 19. August 2007, 09:13: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

quote:

Another mean and nasty parent, here, too, Curiosity. Son - just starting Year 13 - has been to one open day so far. Travelled down to Falmouth with three friends, staying the night. (Well,you have to check out the social life as well, don't you? [Biased] ). O.K. we sorted tickets and B and B for them, but apart from that there was no question of parental participation.

With his sister, I went with her to a couple of foundation interviews, but only because she needed somebody to carry her portfolio. Uni, her father may have driven her to one interview; I can't remember now, but apart from that, she was on her own!

I organised everything independently, Last year I went on the open days all on my own, I chose my college without parental consultation and I went on holiday on my own too... it wasn't until I booked that they found out I was going to Australia for a month!

I guess I'm quite an independent person

Max

Posted by Custard. (# 5402) on :

Decent-sized rucksack for carrying stuff.
Sleeping bag.
Computer if they've got one.

And something my next-door neighbour did first time at uni which instantly got them lots of friends - crate of beer.

quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:

They now have these with wheels so it's easier to get around. If your offspring needs to get a bag for travelling, they'll be well off with this type. It's often very draining carrying around a bag on your shoulders when you are emotionally tired from all the travelling and upheaval.

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

Another soon to be 'parent of a Uni student' checking in here. Son is off to Nottingham next month. Haven't got as far as working out what he needs to take, but he's in fully catered hall for the first year, so should be much like being at home I guess?!

What he is taking that is 'unique' is a poster sized photo of his girlfriend that he had done last week. Definitely something to remind him of home. He's been with her for nearly 3 years and I'm sure she will find it tough when he goes away, as she virtually lives at our place now.

We did take him to several of the Open days, visits, interviews, but he also went to some on his own by train, or had lifts with other parents taking their kids. Yes there was always a parents programme on the Open Days. All a bit different to when I started my degree in 78.

His most pressing concerns however are what to take to the Reading Festival this week though! He bought a tent in Argos on Saturday for £15 and I must say I'm impressed.

Sorry to double post, but I've just thought of an All Saints type question relevant to this thread!

There will in fact be 3 lads from my son's sixth form going to Nottingham. One of the others is a committed Christian who will certainly be getting involved in the CU and a church. My own son has never actually made a commitment, but has been attending church regularly all his life (he doesn't attend the same church as me these days, but goes to a different Baptist church, with his girlfriend). I was wanting to know if/how I could encourage him to link up with a church in Nottingham, without getting too 'heavy' or pushy, and wondered if I ought to ask the other Christian lad from school to invite him along to church or something. Or should I just leave it up to him, if he wants to?

quote:
Originally posted by Catrine:
quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:

They now have these with wheels so it's easier to get around. If your offspring needs to get a bag for travelling, they'll be well off with this type. It's often very draining carrying around a bag on your shoulders when you are emotionally tired from all the travelling and upheaval.
Ever tried getting one of those bags with wheels onto the overhead racks on trains? Most Rucksacks can go there even when very full.

Oh and just so we don't get too youngsters these days, my Dad when away at Uni sent all his washing home to his mum!

Jengie

Jengie, you can now get those rucksacks with the trolley bit built in. Perfect for multicarrying, and no bigger than the same litre capasity rucksack- magic!

I hate ironing, but happily for me, in residence there was a lovely young fellow who enjoyed it. So my Sunday-go-meeting shirts were always pressed!

If your kid is wearing cotton, and not those awful blends, perhaps a travel iron would be useful.

For my sins, in my old age I iron. When I have to. Otherwise the dry cleaners here have a laundry service attached. I bundle four shirts at a time for when I need to look pressed. About once a month.

It works, and my sanity is preserved.

eta to, too, two.

[ 19. August 2007, 14:59: Message edited by: PeteCanada ]

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

I thought I'd put my two-penneth in ...

In the UK a fair few of the big supermarkets do student starter bundles, so complete bedding sets or complete kitchen sets for under 20 quid.

What is really useful if you are laundrette dependant, is to have a proper laundry bag - something like an army kit bag style thing.

Don't forget to get insurance, contents etc and a student bank account - you can get good student deals and it is best sorted out sooner rather than later.

Absolute essential nowadays, particularly if the student doesn't have their own computer, is a USB memory stick. Preferably 2, so one can be back-up of really important assignment drafts and the other can be everyday use. You can get a more than several gb for around a tenner nowadays on Amazon.

Best of all if you accidentally put one through the washing machine in your pocket, they usually still work (yes, I have managed to do this [Roll Eyes] ).

And finally, here is the ultimate going away prezzie for any student [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Catrine:
Jengie, you can now get those rucksacks with the trolley bit built in. Perfect for multicarrying, and no bigger than the same litre capasity rucksack- magic!

Yes but as squashable?

I have got a full 75 litre one on a top rack. That was for a weeks camping trip. I have never learnt to pack well.

Now I take a small wheel suitcase and a 45 litre rucksack instead.

Jengie

Oh and everyone should have one of these.

[Eek!] at both your suggestions Doublethink

I'm old, old,old.

Posted by Duck (# 10181) on :

quote:

Speaking from my experience as an ethical vegan, self-catering in the UK...

Lots of students do Internet grocery orders. If you split the delivery charge with housemates it's likely cheaper than a bus fare, & saves a lot of time & hassle & lugging heavy stuff around. They are usually a PITA to do the first time, but re-ordering is easier. Online ordering is a really handy way to bulk-order any particular foods that are hard to find, expensive, or just heavy & bulky locally - I currently have a year's supply of UHT soya milk, tinned beans, nuts & dried fruit by the kilo, huge bags of rice & pasta, & suchlike under the stairs.

It's often possible to get hold of more specialist stuff that's not otherwise available locally by ordering over the internet (vegan friends split an order from veganstore.co.uk for all sorts of good things, like veggie liquorice allsorts & powdered soya milk for camping).

Food storage from big orders does not have to take up that much room if you think creatively. Where other students have posters, my walls are decorated & insulated by stacks of tins & milk cartons. Feeding friends in from the pub is easy if you have 10kg of rice & a squillion tins of beans to start a stir-fry - don't need to worry about running out. Work out what people might actually want to steal (in my case, choc soya milk, ice-cream, dark choc, biscuits...), & just get enough to share round before anyone can steal it [Smile]

Sharing a kitchen - the wonderful thing about being vegan is that no-one *wants* to steal your milk (except when I lived with 3 vegans last year, which was annoying). But remarkably little stuff actually needs to go in the fridge, particularly in Winter & Spring terms. There's the old trick of hanging stuff out the window / on the windowsill, UHT milk & juice keeps a couple of days at cool room temperature anyway... it's not that difficult. I'd advise having your own pans & keeping them in your room / locked cupboard in halls for any student anyway - they *will* get used & not washed up. Most food prep can be done at the desk in your room (I had a tiny kitchen with a bath in it in first year so everyone did that). If your offspring has severe anaphylactic reactions, might be worth telling the uni ASAP - I have heard of them having a 'peanut-free kitchen' shared with students with similar needs, or various non-standard accomodation options, but you'd need to book that well ahead.

The tricky bit that I've found is shared / communal cooking. Stick a list up in the kitchen of what you *can* and can't eat (the can bit is important - no-one knows what to feed a vegan at first, but most people can cook a stir-fry with beans, nuts, veg, & rice, or pasta & tomato sauce, or baked potatoes & chili). Cook your friends lots of food & make yourself popular, & then they will ask you for recipes & know things to cook - my choc brownies, scones, & flapjack made me very popular in first term. Find other people with weird dietary requirements, & agree to cook stuff that each other can eat - even if you don't have the same needs, they will often be happy to go out of their way if you do the same. I can do quite reasonable gluten-free stuff for this reason, even though I'm fine with wheat. After me being here for 4 years, most people have got the idea by now, & I often find myself turning up to shared meals with kind people pushing all sorts of delicious-looking things under my nose saying 'You can eat this!' excitedly. 'Tis great & a good thing that I am a hungry person.

Strikes me that anyone could do a lot worse than an online order for a week or two's groceries delivered, maybe a term's worth of storable staple foods, if you are trying to think of something to give offspring a good start at uni - particularly if you aren't able to drop them off in person. Trying to work out where the local shops etc are in Fresher's Week can be confusing.

To all parents - please, PLEASE make sure your offspring can cook at least one of two very simple meals & use a washing machine before you send them to uni. In my first two years I lived with one poor lad who could only cook cheese toasties on arrival, one who could manage a fried breakfast, & one who owned only a bowl & a fork & lived on instant noodles & takeaway pizza. Eventually they learnt to boil pasta & stick a jar of sauce on top, and put a frozen pie in the oven & take it out again. I still do not understand how they did not get scurvy, except that people occasionally took pity on them & gave them proper meals. It is a great source of amusement at the ened of Fresher's Week to walk past the laundry & laugh at the poor clueless freshers trying to work out what goes where. I cannot believe that intelligent 18-year-olds do not know these things, but a worrying number do not. Please, please, for the sake of all of us who have to be nice to these befuddled creatures & not bite our tongues off laughing, at least teach them a quick spag bol, or even the rudiments of beans on toast (yes, I really have heard of a fresher who could not make toast - he had not worked out to put the butter on *after* the bread goes in the toaster).

Otherwise, bring as little as possible. Your offspring will be moving around lots for the next few years, & additional junk to cart around is just not worth it. If they *really* need extra mugs / a tin-opener / a spare towel / anything else, then it will encourage them to be resourceful & responsible to sort it out themselves, & most of life's necessities can be found cheap at the nearest second-hand shop or on Freecycle for nothing.

Tip to those starting uni soon - a handy way to earn spare cash is to sign up to be experimented on. Your new home will probably be full of people with ideas to test out, seeking something cheaper & less ethically complicated than a lab rat - the undergraduate student is the ideal experimental animal. Psychology, economics departements are often good for easy stuff - you might be asked to learn a list of words, or pretend you are a farmer buying weather forecasts. For the more adventurous, I've had 5 types of brain scan from the Psychology neuroimaging unit (get pics of your brain - it's rather beautiful, & at least I know I have one), been poked, prodded, measured, & pretended to be a patient for the medical school, given blood samples for Biology, taken homeopathy for Health Sciences, played on websites for CompSci... have a quick nose around departmental websites & keep your eyes open for flyers around campus - once you are on thier lists as an enthusiastic victim you can make a fair bit of pocket money, and mess up the output of your uni's scientific research, quite painlessly. It's usually quite interesting & may be useful career-wise getting a look at Proper Research too.

quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Yes there was always a parents programme on the Open Days.

Please don't tell my university that. It's bad enough as it is.

I'm thinking of writing The Rough Guide to University for Parents. Consisting of about 3 pages 1) How to teach them to be independent - start when they are 15, and you'll be entirely hands off by the time they are 18.
2) Don't give them any money, including for food and clothes, while they are teenagers so they get used to living within their means.
3) Back off.

quote:
Another soon to be 'parent of a Uni student' checking in here. Son is off to Nottingham next month. Haven't got as far as working out what he needs to take, but he's in fully catered hall for the first year, so should be much like being at home I guess?!

What he is taking that is 'unique' is a poster sized photo of his girlfriend that he had done last week. Definitely something to remind him of home. He's been with her for nearly 3 years and I'm sure she will find it tough when he goes away, as she virtually lives at our place now.

We did take him to several of the Open days, visits, interviews, but he also went to some on his own by train, or had lifts with other parents taking their kids. Yes there was always a parents programme on the Open Days. All a bit different to when I started my degree in 78.

His most pressing concerns however are what to take to the Reading Festival this week though! He bought a tent in Argos on Saturday for £15 and I must say I'm impressed.

Mstr Miff's tent was from Tesco! He's out looking for a roll mat atm.

Essentials for Reading:

wipes - lots and lots of wipes. According to my lot, who are Reading veterans by now, the sanitary facilities are 'interesting.'

loo rolls

Ms Miff used to sew inner pockets into all her jeans/shorts. Valuables do tend to 'walk.'

Posted by Campbellite (# 1202) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Duck:
<snip>
I am a hungry person.

[Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:
<snip>
I am a hungry person.

[Roll Eyes]
[Big Grin] my X used to say, "how do you spell vegetarian? B-A-D-H-U-N-T-E-R"

my medical needs are turning me into a fishitarian, though - and I am/was a good hunter.

Chasee will be fine. She was a veg from 8th grade until Thaliand, when she became a "just eat it and don't ask too many questions"atarian.

Posted by SentineledFirs (# 12517) on :

Something that might work for your son that worked quite well for me was having storage for things like the bottle of windex and the laundry detergent that doubled as something else.

In my case, stacking plastic tubs or milk-crate things (sturdy) could be easily stacked and unstacked to get at the cleaning supplies and miscellaneous kitchen items - but stacked two high with a pillow on top = instant extra seating.

Having tea supplies was also incredibly useful - not only for making friends but for having study sessions. I had a set of 4 mugs and a little (uni approved) water boiler, and they got used often during impromptu late night study sessions. The extra seating came in handy then too.

She can cook, suitably neglectful parent here following the chukovsky advice of building independence, but we are looking at major dairy intolerance, including goats cheese/milk, plus a few other intolerances. She can skin test food to check if it is likely to be a problem, so pools of milk on the surfaces are going to be painful. Some of this has been triggered by being very ill during GCSEs so she has to be pretty careful what she eats to stay upright. Coming home to find all the food has been eaten by gannets with the munchies when she desperately needs to eat something safe could be a real problem. And she has got to learn how to deal with it herself, which has been the cause of the biggest rows this summer - your problem, your responsibility to deal with it.

I was thinking stores of food in her room and stocking up on arrival, so finding where the local supermarket is.

In think just explaining to one's flat mates can make the world of difference. Students end to drunken thoughtlessness rather than malice, if they understand the situatino they will most likely behaviour decently towards her. (Besides people tend to nick staples, as in 'ph it won't matter if I borrow some milk / slice of bread / marg - so if it ain't standard and tastes 'funny' they are not likely to diminish supplies.)

The WatersOfBabylon-approved method of thwarting dorm food-stealers:

Put a sign up on the fridge that reads, "One of the items in here is laced with laxatives. Eat at your own risk."

I heard of one biology student who labelled her milk "milk experiment". Apparently no-one touched it.

Curiosity:

As someone who is milk intolerant my advice would be to always have an emergency stash if you do not have sole control of the kitchen. Mine when travelling has included a small tin of tuna, milk free cup-a-soups, ryvitas and the only difficult storage one milk-free margarine. With that I can survive.

I find that with others cooking , the biggest problem is people do not realise that most margarine has milk in it! They will substitute margarine for butter, which as mine is lactose intolerance actually makes the food worse.

The other thing to watch for is milk in bread!! I kid you not. Nobody suspects it and I have been horribly caught out by this.

Jengie

And milk in supermarket Thai and Chinese meals, which really, really should not have milk in as many Asians are also lactose and casein intolerant - egg fried rice, milk instead of coconut milk in Thai food - practically all crisps and lactose in cheap processed meat. Tesco's used to put lactose in all chicken stock, so everything made with chicken stock also contained lactose. Cooked chickens have dextrose and butter coating more often than not to make them look brown. Bread is just the start of where lactose or milk gets hidden!

Actually it depends which way you come at it. Things like ready meals I always check the labels, simply because there is an increased tendency to put cream in things over the years.

Cream of carrot soup does not need to have cream in it. The 'cream' refers to the process of making it, i.e. creaming the carrots and potatoes. However try and buy a shop one these days without cream. Don't get me onto biscuits. I have concluded that the only way to be safe with biscuits is to read the label EVERY SINGLE TIME I purchase them.

Jengie

quote:
quote:
<snip>
I am a hungry person.

[Roll Eyes]
Huh! I am hungry 'cos I am a fit & healthy ultramarathon runner who jumps up & down a lot & is even now plotting a bike route to Greenbelt from the Northern Wilderness, I'll have you know [Razz]

Curiosity - as others have said, just explaining stuff to her flatmates will probably help a lot. Make a note & stick it to the kitchen cupboard as a reminder. Tell the uni ASAP - you might be able to arrange for a larger room or extra food storage (completely randomly in my first year I ended up with a triple room to myself, so there is often a bit of wiggle room). Decent plastic food-storage boxes for the fridge might help too, & permanent markers to name stuff. The only thing I've found that really needs to be kept in there is marge, & actually you can get by without that quite easily if you have to (except for cake, when obviously the thing to do is to make lots of cake at once to finish it up).

If it's 'weird food' then it's very unlikely to get eaten. 18-year-olds just leaving home do not IME tend to be the most adventurous eaters - Mum's no longer telling you to eat your greens, so a depressing amount of freshers will just stick to readymade pizza every night & shy away from anything 'odd-looking' or new. Keeping a week's supply of basics about the place (buying in bulk is often cheaper anyway) & any particularly tasty stuff in her room should avoid any problems. I don't think anyone except fellow-vegans has *ever* tried to steal my soya milk, & if you've got that & some porridge oats you can survive for days if essays render proper cooking impossible.

Daughter might end up with no tasty biscuits & snack food if she leaves them lying around the kitchen, but she's unlikely to end up with no food whatsoever given a good stock up on bulk staples to begin with. Just take her off to the local supermarket or do an internet order when you arrive, & that should last out emergencies all term, even if it's just rice & lentils for the last week.

If you can work out if there's one place on campus / in town that does stuff you can eat that will probably be helpful socially too (even if it does end up with you eating lots of chips & beans).

You've probably realised this by now, but a lot of rubber gloves contain milk protein. So do most condoms - beware Fresher's week when you seem to get buried in people wanting to give you free condoms. Your daughter may need to be warned off the joys of making them into water bombs to scare off the Annoying Geese [Smile]

Try looking at it positively - your daughter is going to *have* to cook proper food with actual ingredients, so she's going to be a lot healthier than the average student, & probably have lots of friends after a few weeks as housemates realise that actually Toast is Not The Only Food & they miss proper home cooking.

quote:
Don't get me onto biscuits. I have concluded that the only way to be safe with biscuits is to read the label EVERY SINGLE TIME I purchase them.

Co-op, if you've one nearby. They are very good about labelling thier stuff - it all says on the FRONT of the packet 'Suitable for Vegans' if it is, & they actually know what this *means* in terms of random stuff like Vitamin D2 & Shellac & the like, if you are picky. SO much easier than reading all the ingredients on everything & trying to remember E numbers.

Posted by angelfish (# 8884) on :

I think all the "what to take" things have been covered, but wanted to share my experience of being "dropped off at uni" by my parents, who I think handled it excellently, despite me being the last one to go, which must have been huge wrench for them.

They took me up on the Saturday quite early and once we had sussed out what my room was lacking, took me to local shops to buy cushions, lampshades, rugs etc. I was also supplied with a couple of bottles of wine to help me get to know people.

They didn't leave until another fresher had started to move into my staircase (so that they knew they weren't leaving me all alone) but then they left quite quickly after she arrived, with instructions that I was NOT TO PHONE HOME until the Tuesday. They didn't cry in front of me (although I know they did once they'd gone, 'cos they owned up later!).

That night, as I climbed into bed, I found a box of chocolates under the duvet with a lovely note about how proud they were of me - that made me cry a bit, but it was OK as it was bedtime so no-one saw.

Then the next morning, I already felt quite settled in and helped other new arrivals get orientated, which made me feel more confident and gave me a good way of starting conversations.

Because I had been banned from phoning home until the Tuesday, I had to spend 3 days just getting on with the business of settling in. It wasn't until the Tuesday evening, when I heard my Mum's voice answering the phone, that I really felt homesick. But by then I had "survived" for three days so I knew it was just the strain of everything being new, and that I could manage. By the end of the second week I was absolutely loving it.

The thing I am really grateful to my Mum for is instilling in me an attitude of "you've got to do it, so make the best of it". It has seen me through many a painful process and worked a treat for getting started at University.

Posted by Mountain Man (# 5115) on :

quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:
I heard of one biology student who labelled her milk "milk experiment". Apparently no-one touched it.

When I lived in Halls I put green food colouring in my milk. Nobody touched it!

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

£100 and a student rail card. They can't carry much on the train so will have to buy stuff when they get there.

Angelfish, that sounds like a wonderful way to do things.

Catrine, I think so too - hope I can be as collected and sensible about it when my kids leave home (which I already worry will come around in a flash, even though the kids aren't even conceived yet!).

I recently read over some old letters my parents sent me at Uni and it's amazing how accurate they were in their various warnings about certain of my "friends" that they were concerned about. Of course at the time I just thought they were being over-protective, but it's uncanny how their first impressions of certain of my cohorts as "needy", "possessive" and "level-headed" were spot-on (it just took me about 2 years to work it out for myself!).

Does anyone else agree with the adage that the friends you make in your first term you spend the next two years trying to shake off? (I think it's in Brideshead Revisited). This was certainly true for me, with the exception of "level-headed" girl, who I am still friends with.

This may be a little late advice for some parents, but if you have the luxury of time, i would advise making damn sure that arriving at university is not the first time your offspring have had to fend for themselves for three days - or preferably a week.

I am of the opinion that gap years are a good idea too - even if all you do is get a job and get treated like a responsible adult.

Otherwise, and I saw this happen to others, you get to uni and its - the first time away from home, first time with proper cash rather than pocket money, first time with access to a bar on a regular basis, first time unsupervised, first time cooking for oneself etc etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
... its - the first time away from home, first time with proper cash rather than pocket money, first time with access to a bar on a regular basis, first time unsupervised, first time cooking for oneself etc etc.

Did we know each other? Except Mum did insist that we, all of us, learned to cook. I was also so terrified of my money running out, that I allocated myself $C5.50 a week spending money. Granted, back in 1967 dollars that bought a lot of coffee, beer, and pipe tobacco. And a Sunday trip to Blesséd Tim Horton's. He wasn't sainted then.

Bars were my downfall. And hot chips. And pickled eggs.

[Tear]

This thread is making me feel all nostalgic for that magical first term at Oxford! Meeting so many people, being part of such an ancient tradition, and it snowed!

Handling money was one thing I was really worried I wouldn't be able to do (as I'd never had any money before). I thought I had budgeted really well, but ran out of money in the last week of one term, and had to call Mum to send me some extra (the shame of it). In the vacation my Mum sat down with me and we went through everything I had spent that term. It turned out I was spending more on beer than I was on food! It also became obvious I had "lost" a £20 note to a thief (and I knew who it was but could never prove it: learned not to assume people were honest and leave my purse lying about the place).

I agree with Doublethink that having a few life skills (like a few wholesome and cheap recipes) under my belt was really useful. However, the good thing about Uni is that is a handy "transition" stage from living with parents to fully independent living. There are usually various support netweorks/structures in place to provide counselling, hardship grants etc if things go wrong so it is a relatively safe (well safer than the "real world") environment to make mistakes in.

In my second year I was Welfare Rep for my college, and saw a number of students who'd managed to spend their entire year's budget in a few weeks (one because he was under the mistaken assumption that more expensive wine got you drunker!). There were grants they could apply for to help with getting through the remainder of the term.

We have made contact with Ms M! Says her accomodation is somewhat lacking in aesthetic qualities. 'Prison-like' was the way she put it.And when she and her room-mate plugged something in, there was a shower of sparks! [Help] So they've acquired an extension lead, in the hopes of at least keeping sparks at arms-length. [Eek!] But they've had a dorm meeting, and apparently the other students are all 'very nice.' And, they've bumped into some other Brits over on exchange and had arranged to go out later. So, all good.

Are you sure they are not plugging 240V appliances into a 120V supply? If they have taken things with them from the UK it would probably not be a good idea to carry on using them without a transformer!

But having said that a) they are adults and b) the appliances will probably just run slowly, rather than burning out and c) no doubt the university authorities will be along to tell them off at some point.

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

quote:
quote:

Despite being a plant scientists, I managed to kill every house-plant I tried to grow. Even the cactus.

Much more important is to tell the Pebble to have lots of tea ready to offer to people. It's a good way to meet folks.

Oh and not to leave his window wide open. The number of people who just don't realise that leaving a stereo or laptop sitting next to an open ground-floor window whilst you're out all day is a BAD IDEA is quite remarkable.

Posted by Emma. (# 3571) on :

taking a cake or two in a tin to offer people with the tea is good. Pack the teapot and kettle somewhere easy to find and offer cake to **everyone** who passes by [Smile]

Posted by Leprechaun (# 5408) on :

Gracious Rebel,

I tried to PM you about your post but your box is full - little miss popular!
[Razz]

Posted by Freelance Monotheist (# 8990) on :

Yeah, I'll second the 'window open on ground floor with visible laptop/TV/stereo=robbery' problem, as it happened to a couple of people I know.

quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun:
Gracious Rebel,

I tried to PM you about your post but your box is full - little miss popular!
[Razz]

Have deleted a few, so please PM away!!

Posted by Chocoholic (# 4655) on :

Might I suggest that pebble, or anyone about to go to uni, gets, along with the tea, biscuits that they don't like! That way they'll be popular and won't face the danger of finishing whole packet of biscuits when they get hungry!

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
Despite being a plant scientists, I managed to kill every house-plant I tried to grow. Even the cactus. .

Plant science - Pah, as a Botanist I confirmed my reputation for weird by growing Venus Flytraps in my bedroom - I still have them 30yrs later. I also managed to germinate a banana seed on top of my water heater ( and grew mushrooms in the cupboard under the sink)

tangent - in fact Cacti are very easy to kill, my bete noir are Airplants, they are supposedly unkillable but I have never managed to keep one alive - end tangent

Lots of good advice here, problems is (looks around to see if Emma is about) whisper He doesn't like tea (or coffee) is hot chocolate ok

quote:
Lots of good advice here, problems is (looks around to see if Emma is about) whisper He doesn't like tea (or coffee) is hot chocolate ok

He doesn't have to like tea or coffee. He just has to know how to make it. [Biased]

ETA: Having said that, I learned to drink coffee while at Uni.

[ 23. August 2007, 09:51: Message edited by: rufiki ]

Posted by mountainsnowtiger (# 11152) on :

quote:
He doesn't have to like tea or coffee. He just has to know how to make it. [Biased]

Exactly, I'd recommend having some tea / coffee / etc available to offer to people who come round to his room, plus some of whatever he wants to drink himself.

We are now waiting to see what type of room he gets so he can sort out what he needs to take but have entered the twilight zone of laptops (or notebooks) This is an alien subject for me so I can be of even less help than usual, my mum typed my research project on a typewriter!!

His course should not have any demands beyond the usual and I have Microsoft Home so I can put Excel, Powerpoint etc on for him. (does anyone know if these will be ok with Vista or should he stick to XP)

He will want to watch DVDs and put his itunes on it but doesn't want to spend a fortune if not necessary. Can anyone more up on these things than me (i.e. anyone) offer advice?

[ 23. August 2007, 10:34: Message edited by: Petrified ]

We know exaclty what sort of room my daughter has. She was so determined to book herself reasonable accommodation that she could afford she rejected a possible offer that was being slow and made sure she decided on her offers by the deadline for the university accommodation. I paid the deposit and signed the guarantee months ago. There is even a facility to look at the accommodation online, complete with 360 views and inventory! It's a far cry from when I arrived to look at my room for the first time.

She's in a room in a shared flat, 6 bedrooms, bathroom, lounge and kitchen between 6 students, separate room (cell), which is why the worries about food. We were remembering how vile soya milk is in tea earlier, and reckoning that would be safe in the fridge.

No contact at all most of the time, but a visit once or twice a year is always welcomed as long as you take them out for meals every day. To quality places, of course.

If you are really lucky, they then invite you back to the student pad for coffee. But, if you dare to go, be sure to keep your eyes closed at all times..... [Ultra confused]

Posted by JLB (# 10670) on :

I was surprised a few months ago when my older daughter started talking about what she would need to take to university. In my day even the self-catering residences provided bed linen (clean sheets once a week) and basic kitchen equipment.

We've got residence settled but are still waiting for a inventory - hadn't thought of checking on-line. We'll see if we can reduce the pages long list she has produced. So far this thread has only added ideas!

Joan

Posted by Littlelady (# 9616) on :

quote:
She's in a room in a shared flat, 6 bedrooms, bathroom, lounge and kitchen between 6 students, separate room (cell), which is why the worries about food.

Encourage her to get to the flat really early, first if possible, so she gets a good kitchen cupboard/drawer setup and bags her spot in the fridge!

Another trick is if they have a freezer then get her a couple of ice blocks, that way by using them alternate days she can keep her margarine cool enough in her room.

Another is if she finds people nicking margarine might be to find somewhere that supplies cooking marg (which often is milk free) and use that for a while. Like soya milk you would not eat it, if there were other options.

Another trick would be to get her one of the cooker top espresso makers and a whisk. Then if she wants a milky comfort drink she can make herself a soya milk latte. For some reason frothed soya milk does not curdle the way straight does when in contact with coffee. Oh and use straight brown sugar instead of chocolate flakes.

Jengie

Also, never underestimate the power of powder in communal living. At uni I not only drank rather a lot of instant coffee, I also drank instant tea (no rotting tea bags in the paper bin in my room) and powdered milk (doesn't go off, can be kept in room).

Posted by To The Pain (# 12235) on :

The item I couldn't have lived without in my first year in halls was... my Swiss Army Knife. It served me so well and was so far superior to the crummy can openers supplied by the uni that it was my can opener of choice for the next three or four years (and would still be if some Glasgow scoundrel hadn't stolen it [Waterworks] ). A multitool like that means you're pretty much set up when you need a can/beer bottle/wine bottle opened, discover you didn't bring any scissors, haven't got any kitchen knives, find a rough edge on your furniture that's going to catch on all your clothes, need to pluck your eyebrows... the list is endless! [Big Grin]

Back in the wilds of 2001 I trundled my fully-laden little 2CV 500 miles up to uni for the first time all on my own and it was next to no bother - yes, the rooms were a little cell-like, but I'd been sharing a concrete hut in Africa with four other girls during my gap year, so it was no hardship.

I think my best move during the year was allowing my room to be the storage room over the holidays in our flat of six - meant that I only had to move in once and out once where everyone else had to do it three times.

Blessings on anyone travelling to uni for the first time this year, and on their parents too,

TTP

Posted by Jimmy B (# 220) on :

quote:
She's in a room in a shared flat, 6 bedrooms, bathroom, lounge and kitchen between 6 students, separate room (cell), which is why the worries about food. We were remembering how vile soya milk is in tea earlier, and reckoning that would be safe in the fridge.
What about a small camping or bar fridge in her bedroom. I had one that was the size of 2 computer mini-towers side by side. You could even sit a microwave on it too or kettle and toaster oven.

[ETA: When I was at college, one of the students had a toolbox style container with a padlock on it with her items in the fridge. This was 'cos she used to buy superior food items that were preyed upon by the rabble]

[ 24. August 2007, 12:54: Message edited by: Jimmy B ]

Posted by Carys (# 78) on :

quote:
Another trick is if they have a freezer then get her a couple of ice blocks, that way by using them alternate days she can keep her margarine cool enough in her room.

My hall (catered) actually expected us to do this. In my first year, lots of people had fridges in their rooms which were against the regulations but there were only 4 kitchens for the 259 of us so in my second year they put chest freezers into two of the kitchens and we were supposed to use them for our ice blocks. I did, I found I had to change them morning and evening which was fine except if I was out past midnight when the kitchens were locked (to stop drunk people burning toast and waking us all up with yet another fire-alarm).

Carys

Posted by OliviaG (# 9881) on :

Even if you don't smoke, get a lighter. I've saved many a surprise birthday party with this habit. (Insert standard warning/disclaimer re: open flames, safety, regulations, etc.) OliviaG

If attending any University on the West coast, be sure to pack your umbrella. The wettest cities are always those where the university accommodation is as far away as possible from the lecture hall.

My most useful item (casts mind back many years) was a pair of hiking boots. But then it was Cumbria.

Do not forget a dressing gown (or sarong style thing) as you will have a communal bathroom and towels are never big enough.

(Also for fire alarm call outs in the middle of the night.)

[ 25. August 2007, 18:47: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

Posted by Yerevan (# 10383) on :

quote:
Sorry to double post, but I've just thought of an All Saints type question relevant to this thread!

There will in fact be 3 lads from my son's sixth form going to Nottingham. One of the others is a committed Christian who will certainly be getting involved in the CU and a church. My own son has never actually made a commitment, but has been attending church regularly all his life (he doesn't attend the same church as me these days, but goes to a different Baptist church, with his girlfriend). I was wanting to know if/how I could encourage him to link up with a church in Nottingham, without getting too 'heavy' or pushy, and wondered if I ought to ask the other Christian lad from school to invite him along to church or something. Or should I just leave it up to him, if he wants to?

Might be best to go carefully (I'm thinking back to when I was his age). If he's still going to church voluntarily at age eighteen I'm guessing he must have some interest... [Biased]

I think you might have to consider the other side of the coin too. A good friend of mine from university (and he still is a good friend, Deo gratias) attended his local church before he arrived in September. He is Orthodox, so probably missed celebrating Christmas (I think winter term started on January 4th that year)

Just before Easter - the Orthodox one - he came running in to see me in a great panic.

Pete, Pete, my parents are coming to visit for Easter. Do you know where an Orthodox church is??

I said yeah, I do. Just walk out the university gates, turn right, and look across the street (We were the first building inside the gates, so about a 5 minute run if he was ever in a hurry. Which he obviously never was.)

[Big Grin]

[ 27. August 2007, 16:42: Message edited by: PeteCanada ]

Posted by Not Too Bad (# 8770) on :

Taking daughter No1 tomorrow first thing. Feeling really odd and worried that she's suddenly developed an ear infection. For those that pray could I ask that you pray for her health? Thanks.

As for all the practical things, we're pretty much all packed and have all the additional things that have been mentioned here so thanks for the collective advice.

Posted by flags_fiend (# 12211) on :

I would recommend taking a pen drive.

Also send lots of post, parcels, letters, etc. I'm currently at uni and post is v exciting (except if it is a bill), and a parcel is even better.

When I first went to uni, my mum hid a small soft toy with attached stowaway label, I found it after a week of being there (too busy to unpack) and it made me smile [Smile]

flags x

It's vital to pack ear plugs - so you don't hear the cheer as they shut the door and shout 'Hooray, freedom at last!' [Biased]

Nearly ready, going on Thursday, bought all the cooking gear and had a last minute clothes shopping trip on Sat when he realised he had very few which fitted.

Online enrolement done, room, bank Ac and loan sorted.

Farewell tour to Grandparents done. Course choices worked out and seem ideal for him. I think he is ready to go, it has dragged on rather too long since results. His friends (those who are going) have now started to drift off, it is going to be really strange for the few left behind. We shall miss him, he's a great guy and his Uni are very lucky.

One last piece of advice from someone at the same Uni, Take a door stop, the college flats all have sprung firedoors and moving in can be awkward.

[Votive] for all those on their way, for their parents and for those who aren't going and will find all their friends have disappeared.

quote:
Take a door stop, the college flats all have sprung firedoors and moving in can be awkward.

Now I remember; that's what text books are for!

Problem is, based on the advice here, we haven't bought any textbooks [Confused]

He served his last Mass until Christmas yesterday and was mentioned at the start and during the sermon. Yesterday's Gospel was the prodigal son [Eek!]

Posted by Carys (# 78) on :

quote:
quote:
Take a door stop, the college flats all have sprung firedoors and moving in can be awkward.

Now I remember; that's what text books are for!
No. That's what fire extinguishers are for!

Carys

Posted by Javert (# 12007) on :

Handy hint: If you can, freeze bread in packs of four slices, lasts longer.

And it may sound obvious but remembering to lock the front door is a Good Idea. We had a couple of students in my uni house in the first year who did not realise this. So we all woke up one morning to find all the bottle openers had been nicked from the kitchen and quite a lot of food splashed all over the place. [Disappointed]

Posted by Celtic Knotweed (# 13008) on :

Two useful tips I thought of on my way home from work yesterday. Bit late maybe...

1. If they want to get a student discount in a shop then ask before they pay. Better still, before the goods are rung through the till.

Apparently at one of our local shops this week someone bought about 20-30 items, paid, left, then walked back in and asked if they could get a student discount! [brick wall]

2. If they have to do paid work in term-time, then make sure the hours can be arranged around the lecture/tutorial/lab timetable. From personal experience, even a post in the same department had the occasional hiccup, and some external employers of friends were less than happy about deadlines and 9am lectures being more important than overtime shifts finishing at 1am.

... and tutors might be less than happy about students missing meetings because of work!

How are all the students out there doing?

My daughter appears to be doing well although I embarrassingly started to cry in Waitrose as I randomly bumped into a primary school teacher of hers and told her she was at uni!

Been through a bit of a grieving process this week and even my middle daughter said that she missed her and they have nothing in common and used to fight like cat and dog!

As far as the suggestions in this thread are concerned they were all good. Lauren says that all of them in the flat have brought washing up liquid with them so they never need to buy the stuff ever again. Next time I may well be less well prepared.

Not sure if it was mentioned here but we forgot to take an ethernet cable and had to go and buy one from Maplins. The guy in the store seemed to think that it was the thing that everyone forgets so for those of you who have offspring yet to go, don't forget to pack it!

If it's any consolation to the parents who are missing their offspring, if they enjoyed home that much you will discover that the university holidays are long and regularly interspersed with reading weeks (which are not, of course, for reading [Biased] ). And, of course, your Sunday lunches are the best in the world. You will soon begin to wonder whether they ever did, in fact, leave home.....

Posted by Real Ale Methodist (# 7390) on :

It might be too late for this, btu if anyone is listening.

I know a lot of people with big packs of StudentsFirstKitchen stuff. I have managed far better with a small selection of choicer items.

No one really needs four separate cheap saucepans, unless they intend to make four types of mash, each in slightly smaller quantities than the last. What they could do with is one medium sized decent quality and thick bottomed pan. I use three pans, one Medium Le Cruset, one deepish circulon french skillet and a big hob safe casserole. The Casserole had previously belonged to my uncle, the Le Cruset I ebayed (ouchy postage though) the circulon was a gift and (as far as I know) bought knew. I also brought a load of other stuff, which as I realised I a) didn't need it, and b) didn't have room, ended up at home.

I would also counsel the purchase of one good knife. The sets with a dozen are usually useless, you can get a decent quality one (Ikea do some nice ones) for the price of a pack, and they make cooking so much easier.

What arrives really depends on the other students - my daughter is in a flat with three international students who flew in with minimal luggage and were asking about shops for plates and bedding. As far as I can tell she's the only one with any pans so far, although the Spanish girl was asking for the English vocabulary. This is going to get more interesting as the microwave is faulty and we were making coffee by boiling water in a pan, rather than the kettle on the same circuit, which the microwave had thrown.

Your daughter should find out where the fuse box is pronto. The sooner she knows that the sooner she will be able to deal with all the times a fuse is thrown. For instance when they all put their kettles on in their rooms at the same time!

Jengie

Posted by Frozen Flowers (# 12726) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Real Ale Methodist:
I would also counsel the purchase of one good knife. The sets with a dozen are usually useless, you can get a decent quality one (Ikea do some nice ones) for the price of a pack, and they make cooking so much easier.

I couldn't agree more. I came up to uni two years ago with a set of cheap but useless knives. I was a totally inexperienced cook, and was massively put off any "proper" cooking by how long it took to chop anything. I had assumed this was just because I was rubbish at basic skills. Real Ale Methodist made me a buy a decent knife and I haven't looked back since. I couldn't believe what a difference it made.

If your kids are nervous cooks (and frankly, even if they aren't) then making sure they have a decent knife might help them get off to a good start.

My son is in a fully catered hall of residence (a very nice one at that complete with oak dining room) so he hasn't taken any cooking equipment at all - at the last minute when we packed the car yesterday, my husband added in one mug and one glass and a couple of teaspoons - that's all! Surprised to find a fridge in the room though. He has a fantastic view over parkland, I'm really rather jealous!! His biggest problem (at the time we left him earlier today) problem was when he went to plug in his PC (from home) into the LAN, it said that it was not permitted because the security settings weren't good enough, or something. So I don't expect he's online just yet. We discovered that although sheets and duvet were provided, there was no duvet cover, so that meant a trip out to Argos this morning (at the same time we went to collect his new bike from Toys R Us - then had to assemble the bike outside the hall). We left him at lunchtime, but his girlfriend is staying with him until tomorrow - once she's come home, that's when its really going to hit him I think! Already it seems 'weird' at home without him here, not that we used to see a lot of him anyway, but to go into his room and find it so bare, just seems strange - this guy has lived with us for 18 years and suddenly he's not here any more!!

Jengie Jon, the fuse system for the kitchen is in a locked cupboard outside the flat - she has to call maintenance, who have the key, and has done twice today, once while I was there. The fuse system for her room is on the wall and she knows how to reset the system here, so not a problem.

Gracious rebel - the university system at Nottingham means signing on as a student to get a password to get into the internet - tomorrow.

[ 23. September 2007, 19:57: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

Posted by rosemary (# 100) on :

Hmmm... I am wondering if my son is in the same hall of residence as Gracious Rebel's offspring. It used to be an all male hall. We had problems with TV reception - husband had bought some gizmo that goes on computers. Also finding somewhere to lock the laptop to when not in use - only place we could find was towel rail on the handbasin.

We took him to church this morning - very large evo congregation - not my thing, but it is within walking distance of the campus, so it is at least somewhere to start.

He hasn't sent either of us a text since we left him at 4pm today, so we are taking that as a good sign.

rosemary

Rosemary,

If your son has gone to Nottingham too, my daughter's self-catering hall had student reps everywhere organising a welcome barbeque in the bar last night and making sure the new students were OK. I would expect that went on to closing time. I was sitting on the luggage waiting for my daughter to get through a queue and chatted to quite a few of the reps as they offered me tea and coffee (and beer, but that's because I was interested in the beer). I was sitting on the luggage to hide the duvet set, because lots of the international students either didn't know they needed one or hadn't got the luggage allowance to bring one over, and that was the thing people really wanted. The Indian girl in my daughter's flat didn't know she needed bedding.

I spoke to my daughter last night who has sorted out the faulty microwave that was fusing the circuit on that side of the kitchen. She is quite irritated with her flatmates for leaving her to deal with it and totally ignoring the maintenance guy when he was knocking to come in, even though their rooms are much nearer the front door. She's in a five bedroom flat with shared kitchen and bathroom facilities, but their own bedrooms. She was back from the welcome barbeque when it got more alcoholic, being teetotal from necessity.

Rosemary - I don't think its the same hall - as far as I know my son's one used to be an all female hall. My husband was hoping to find a TV aerial point in the room (as there is a TV card in my son's PC) but no luck there - to be honest I thought that was expecting a bit much! So no need to buy a TV licence for him then!!

I did vaguely suggest that we went to try out a church in Nottingham yesterday morning (as we'd arrived the day before, and stayed over in a Travelodge, so had plenty of time) but my son, (and particularly the girlfriend) was not interested, would rather leave it for now, rather than turn up with parents I think!! As it happens we were busy buying and building this bike on Sunday morning. Would be interested to hear where the evo church is near the campus though, as I said I'd do a bit of research on churches and let him know some ideas.

Haven't heard anything from him yet since we left him yesterday lunchtime, but I expect he's fine.

Just thinking - we could have had a mini-shipmeet yesterday when we were all at Nottingham Uni couldn't we? Oh well, maybe another time!! [Biased]

I'm now starting my second year in a Flat with some other Theology Students in Shepherd's Bush/Acton (we're sort of right in the middle)

I'm cycling everywhere now and it's fantastic! 10 minutes to Kensington - where my college is located!

At the moment I'm preparing to show all the fresher's around the college because they've all found me on facebook and want me to show them around (I'm the CU President you see)

Max

He'll find his own feet if you give him some space, GR. Most 18 year olds find, sooner or later, that they are there at the end of their legs, where they've been all the time. [Biased]

quote:
Just thinking - we could have had a mini-shipmeet yesterday when we were all at Nottingham Uni couldn't we? Oh well, maybe another time!! [Biased]

I did wonder about trying to set one up - and a Mystery Worship session too, but thought my offspring might murder me.

Posted by Auntie Doris (# 9433) on :

quote:
(I'm the CU President you see)

Dear God above! [Roll Eyes] [Biased]

Auntie Doris x

quote:
(I'm the CU President you see)

Are you bragging or complaining? [Razz]

You live in a cup?

Posted by rosemary (# 100) on :

I'm not sure that my husband would have been very keen on a mini-meet - I'd have to work on him.

Gracious Rebel - the church we went to was Cornerstone Church - there was a baptism plus evangelistic sermon, the latter lasting 45 minutes. I was a student at Trent nearly 30 years ago, and I went to an Anglican church, St Nic's - but being in the centre of Nottingham, is not nearly so easy to get to from Nottingham University.

rosemary

quote:
Jengie Jon, the fuse system for the kitchen is in a locked cupboard outside the flat - she has to call maintenance, who have the key, and has done twice today, once while I was there. The fuse system for her room is on the wall and she knows how to reset the system here, so not a problem.

I am re wording a post. Let me say that I suspect that the current position with needing to call maintenance every time, will have changed by Christmas. IME maintenance guys do not like being called out at 10pm at night, because some student "forgot" the microwave was faulty!

I was fully informed by a porter precisely how to get a guest out of our all female hall of residence after midnight without setting off the fire alarms or banging on the warden's door when you did not have a late key.

Jengie

quote:
Originally posted by rosemary:
I'm not sure that my husband would have been very keen on a mini-meet - I'd have to work on him.

I know for a fact that mine wouldn't be keen either!! A few years ago we had a shipmeet at Alton Towers - I was there with Mr R and the boys, but they would not come with me to meet these strange people from the internet, so I had to keep flitting between my family group and the Shipmates!
quote:

Gracious Rebel - the church we went to was Cornerstone Church - there was a baptism plus evangelistic sermon, the latter lasting 45 minutes. I was a student at Trent nearly 30 years ago, and I went to an Anglican church, St Nic's - but being in the centre of Nottingham, is not nearly so easy to get to from Nottingham University.
rosemary

Thanks for this, I'll send him an email with some possible churches to visit. This one sounds quite like what he is used to actually.

It is quite possible that your young person will wish to choose - or not choose at all - his own place of worship. I certainly did, in my time, and ended up where my Mother would never have expected to find me. I'm still there, too. And the only one of my siblings still a Churchgoer.

I wouldn't push it. I saw other parents in my day assuming that their offspring would carry on as they had at home. They were disillusioned, oftentimes.

[ 24. September 2007, 22:51: Message edited by: PeteCanada ]

I was meeting last night with the leader of our Brownies and the two other assistant leaders - both the younger assistant leader (the other is her mother) and the daughter of the leader are off to uni. However, the younger leader is going to one of the unis in our town, and is staying at home, and the other leader's daughter is getting a lift (sounds like two cars' worth) with all her stuff.

They were shocked that I had got the train (6 hour journey) to uni the first time I'd gone - I think I had two quite large suitcases, so though my aunt met me to take me to my hall, she did so in a taxi rather than their car.

I wasn't the only one, though I think other parents did bring their offspring, but I can't imagine my parents "finding" anything for me!

Posted by Ferijen (# 4719) on :

quote:
My son is in a fully catered hall of residence (a very nice one at that complete with oak dining room) so he hasn't taken any cooking equipment at all - at the last minute when we packed the car yesterday, my husband added in one mug and one glass and a couple of teaspoons - that's all! Surprised to find a fridge in the room though.

Fully catered halls doesn't mean fully edible [Biased] A fridge is a better alternative for milk (especially if you're never up in time for breakfast) and, as a former housemate of mine insisted, keeping one of the two pizzas ordered in an evening for breakfast the next day.

If there's a problem, he'll let you know. If there's a really really big problem (there won't be, but just so you know), the University will let you know. No news = he's having a great time!

And to all those parents out there: it took me 18 years to learn to live with my parents, and 8 weeks to forget...

When I headed off to University (back when fire was a new invention) my mother insisted on bringing along three grocery sacks full of food, 430 miles from home. It was quite a shock to her to learn that they had grocery stores in Kentucky, too.

She also asked me why I wanted to go to that University when there was such a great school only a mile and a half from home. I told her there where 430 reasons. [Biased]

Campbellite! We're brothers! Except I only had 130 reasons. Definitely better than 25 though!

PS I loved Mother until the day she died. Sometimes, though, it was easier to do that from a distance than up close.

quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:

They were shocked that I had got the train (6 hour journey) to uni the first time I'd gone - I think I had two quite large suitcases, so though my aunt met me to take me to my hall, she did so in a taxi rather than their car.

That was much more normal 'back then'. I had to catch 3 trains and a bus with all my worldly possessions to a place 360 miles away (but then I'd had a gap year where I also had to find my way half way across the country with everything in 2 suitcases, so by then I was an old pro). My parents only visited me once during the 4 years as it was so far away. My two brothers, who were a few years younger, sent trunks in advance on the train - as that had become the norm by then. (Is this still possible? - I never hear of it now.)

Son the elder decided to study in Scotland so there was no way I could take him by car and get back in time for work, so he had to catch the train with rucksack, suitcase and trombone (apparently he parked the trombone in the loo as it was the only available space). So it is still possible to travel this way. Just get a Natwest student account and the young person's railcard comes free, giving significant reductions.

I think some of the difference now is that universities/students/families expect a large number of the students to be self-catering (thus needing duvets, pots and pans, etc.) plus to have a computer and all the paraphernalia that goes with it. None of these items are easy to transport. Another difference is that more mothers have cars, so the children have been used to being ferried around since birth. But if mum's taxi really isn't an option, it is always possible to buy these items in a university town or city when they get there, of course. Always assuming that there is storage provided over the holidays and you don't need to cart it all back again a few months later.

Yes, we were more independent, and did manage to cart our own stuff about, but I did land up in hospital one year for trying to be too clever and lugging too many heavy boxes of books from one student flat to another - on the other side of town. Trying to save money on a taxi, no doubt. [Roll Eyes]

My daughter went by train - she carried her own stuff. I carried the bedding and the kitchen gear, which is why I went too, and booking in advance it cost £9 each on the way up and me £11 on the way back - cheaper than petrol.

Maybe us mums are a little more clucky over our offspring than the olden days [Biased] but I'm glad I've got a daughter who wanted to be far away from home. The trend these days is to go to the nearest uni and live at home. How to completely miss the point of being at uni. But of course the trade off is that you are less in debt at the end of it...

quote:
Originally posted by Not Too Bad:
Maybe us mums are a little more clucky over our offspring than the olden days [Biased] but I'm glad I've got a daughter who wanted to be far away from home. ...

I am, too - even if we're getting more than we bargained for; Ms M spending a term across the pond, and her 'possibles' for an MA later making my eyes water, (New York again, California, Switzerland) [Eek!] as well as good old London.

Anyway, only a week to go and we're off New Yorkwards to see what she's been up to! A little too far to be landed with taking her dirty laundry home to be washed! [Big Grin]

Posted by Pheonix (# 2782) on :

One thing that would have been really useful in halls was earplug... Essential when your room is opposite the JCR and can't go to bed till the discos have finished whether you like it or not.

Halls were such random days...

Offspring e-mailed yesterday to say she'd spotted a mouse run out from under her roomate's bed and head straight for the kitchen area! [Help] I'm now wondering if a trap comes under prohibited items for cabin baggage.

Miffy, I would think that mousetraps could be purchased in NYC far easier than it would be to bring one across the Pond.

Ah yes, mice in university lodgings...... It's a race to see if you can use up the flour from the top of the packet faster than the mouse can eat it from the bottom. (Avoiding the extra protein of mouse droppings, of course.)

Seems to me that kids break all the rules these days - the unspoken rule for every event, scrape or accident used to be: "Don't tell your mother!"

Today we had the second phone call home since offspring left for Uni in September. Sadly it was bad news - he's had his bike stolen. (yes the new bike we bought him and assembled for him outside the hall of residence on arrivals day).
[Frown]

quote:
Miffy, I would think that mousetraps could be purchased in NYC far easier than it would be to bring one across the Pond.

Second that, plus taking someone to the store where they can buy them, means next time they should only email you with the news "We've caught the mouse!"

Jengie

Posted by Celtic Knotweed (# 13008) on :

quote:
Chorister said:
Seems to me that kids break all the rules these days - the unspoken rule for every event, scrape or accident used to be: "Don't tell your mother!"

Sometimes it's a case of "Tell your mother what you think is important. True tale:
In their second year my brother and his flatmates were evicted because the landlord hadn't paid the mortgage even though the boys had paid their rent. These great big 6 foot lads weren't concerned about the fact that their clothes, books and notes were mainly still locked in the flat till a time could be arranged to collect everything. No, they were worried that the mouse nesting in their scrap paper box would get cold! [Killing me]

This was actually my brother's main issue when he rang Mum to tell us he was back in halls for a few weeks...

Sorry to hear about your son's bike, GR. [Frown] As for the mouse, Ms Miff's got less than two months left out there, anyway, so we're not panicking.

A rat, now, that'd be something else... [Help]

No just block up all the escape routes and let it die of starvation! That's what we did. We heard rustling was suspicious something was getting in so blocked the hole. Unfortunately for said rat it was "in" at the time and we did not have much food it could eat lying around. We had a lot of tinned food, some fresh veg in the fridge and the bread was kept in the bread bin. So it starved.

Only problem was it hid under the kitchen units while it starved and boy did its decomposing body smell. My friend who decided something must be done, waited until the only male of the household was out of the way (imagine Lance Corporal Jack Jones helping out) and I was busy. She opened up the space under the units found the body and cleaned the whole kitchen with bleach. All kudos to her.

Jengie

[ 06. November 2007, 18:24: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

© Ship of Fools 2016