Thread: Hell: Baby Names for Atheists Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000666

Posted by Qestia (# 717) on :

Some of my best friends are atheists... really. And they keep me humble by behaving in a more Christian manner than I do, much of the time.

So normally our difference in faith does not affect our friendship, and we manage to get by without offending one another.

However, a close friend of mine, who happens to be pregnant, just sent me an email that completely baffled me. She is trying to pick a baby name, and is narrowing her list by weeding out names that she feels have "strong religious associations." Like Joshua. And William. (William?!?) And Calvin. [Killing me]

Erm... I am not about to set her straight--she can pick whatever names she wants based on whatever she wants to base it on.

So, anyone want to share some name suggestions for an atheist baby? I'm putting this in Hell because it's not really a discussion, or happy enough for heaven, but hosts, move it if you wish.

[ 21. March 2008, 18:12: Message edited by: comet ]

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

I seem to remember a Herod from Adrian Mole, "a very radical baby who doesn't eat sweets and goes to bed at 3am".

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

She will have to watch gridiron football. Some of the names that the players have come from somewhere God doesn't dwell. There was a "Plaxico" something-or-other playing tightend for a team a couple of weeks ago.

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

how about "Dawkins"?

Posted by PeteCanada (# 10422) on :

Perhaps we should have a return to Puritan names (suitably modified of course) for children of atheistic parents - we all know that these children often flout the beliefs of their parents.

Faith, Hope, or Charity spring to mind for girls.
Not-knowing Smith, Zeus and Pan come to mind for boys (since I couldn't come up with neutral names with no biblical connotation)

Although I once knew agnostic parents who called their son Chris. When I enquired, for my records, as to whether that was an abbreviation, I discovered his full name was Joseph Christopher.

I mentally shook my head.

[ 10. October 2007, 13:15: Message edited by: PeteCanada ]

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

Bertrand (Russell)
Charles (Bradlaugh)
Alfred (Ayer)
Thomas (Paine) (not actually an atheist but they like to quote him)
Ludwig (Feuerbach)
Karl (Marx)
Albert (Camus)

Girl atheist babies are harder. One is pretty much left with Eleanor (Marx). Unless one really wishes to name ones child after Susan Blackmore or Ophelia Benson. IIRC, Mary Midgley is an atheist but she probably doesn't qualify because she and Dawkins don't get on, she's not rude about religious belief (being the daughter of a clergyman) and in some circles Mary is quite an important religious name.

Insist that she names him after one of the big hitters rather than saddling him with Christopher Richard Atheistbaby!

Do atheist babies have rebellious phases as teenagers where they don't want to go to atheist summer camp and decide to join the Society of St Pius X?

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

Presumably 'Lalla', as in Mrs Richard Dawkins, would do for a girl.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
Albert

Bzzt!

Posted by Manipled Mutineer (# 11514) on :

I suppose that Annunciata or Assumpta would be out of the question then? How about Karl, after the little-known seventh Marx brother?

Posted by Mad Geo (# 2939) on :

Beelzebub. Just to scare the shit out of fundieliteralists....

Posted by dogwonderer (# 12169) on :

The best atheist name for a boy is surely Jesus. I was tempted, when puppywonderer was born, but anticipated playground problems.

Oh yes, girls name: Madalyn or Murray

O'Hair would be a little weird.

[ 10. October 2007, 13:28: Message edited by: Mad Geo ]

quote:
Originally posted by dogwonderer:
The best atheist name for a boy is surely Jesus. I was tempted, when puppywonderer was born, but anticipated playground problems.

Doctor William Price certainly thought so...

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

When in doubt, fall back on the classics.

Primus
Secundus
Tertius
Quartus
Quintus
Sextus
Septimus
Octavius
Nonus
Decimus

or

April
May
June
Julie
Augusta

or if you want to be seen to be green and environmentally friendly

Coriander
Yarrow
Daisy
Rose
Greenpeace
Recyclina
Shreddie
Paperella

Posted by Alaric the Goth (# 511) on :

'Ooh', said one mum, 'liitle Attila Richard Douglas is coming along fine, I am sure he said 'secular' the other day!

'Super!' said the other mum, 'Little Genghis Charles might have said 'humanism' last week, I think.' And wee Germaine Susan has written a lovely poem called 'God is a lie' for her English teacher. It goes:
God is a lie
He’s not up in the sky
And you know when you die
There’s no heavenly ‘pie’

'My, you must be so proud of her!' said the first mum.

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

Wow, Manipled Mutineer, he sounds like some individualist, that Price bloke!

I love Ariel's suggestions too.
May I offer "Wayne" and "Waynetta" as being possible non-religious names. I also have a pupil called Roman - so maybe place-type names (India, Vienna, Bognor, etc) are possibilities too, with certian exceptione like Lourdes, The Vatican and Golgotha, perhaps.

Posted by MouseThief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Recyclina

[Killing me]

Actually that's not too far afield of the baby-naming practice in the Soviet Union. Before Stalin, babies might be given names that abbreviate revolutionary slogans or the initials of Bolshevik heroes; in the Stalin period babies sported wonderful names that referred to industrialization and the five-year plans. Think "electrificationsky". Some were not much less weird than that.

With that in mind, names for atheist babies might include:

Freethought
Godless (that'll frighten the fundies!)
Smarterthanthosestupidchristians (could be abbreviated "Smarter")
Bright
Rebelwithoutagod

and so forth.

Posted by Zealot en vacance (# 9795) on :

Using the puritan example, names for the desired attitudes and attributes would seem appropriate.

Rationalista, Science-can-explain-everything, Materialistica, Progressive, Reasonabilia, Evolved, etc.

quote:
Rose
A little girl, not a million miles from me, has Rose as one of her given names. The proud father was thinking along the lines of "Fruit of the mystic Rose, as of that Rose the stem" and "There is no Rose of swich virtue, as is the Rose that bar Jesu".

So much the same difficulty as naming the child after Dr Midgley really.

Much more damaging than the unimportant fact that the Blessed Albert of Algeria happened to share one of his names with a liberal protestant. [Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Zealot en vacance:
Using the puritan example, names for the desired attitudes and attributes would seem appropriate.

Rationalista, Science-can-explain-everything, Materialistica, Progressive, Reasonabilia, Evolved, etc.

How I wish I'd made a similar point. [Roll Eyes]

Kinda like the Faith, Charity, Hope:

Reason, Brilliant, Wiser.

Posted by marmot (# 479) on :

There are nouns from the natural world that an atheist might embrace (beyond the flowers mentioned above):

Stone, River, Luna, Rain.

Posted by Beautiful_Dreamer (# 10880) on :

My husband's name is Severn. I believe that is the name of a river. That would be a non-religious name, and a surefire way to make sure no one in his class has the same name.

quote:
Bertrand (Russell)
Charles (Bradlaugh)
Alfred (Ayer)
Thomas (Paine) (not actually an atheist but they like to quote him)
Ludwig (Feuerbach)
Karl (Marx)
Albert (Camus)

Girl atheist babies are harder. One is pretty much left with Eleanor (Marx). Unless one really wishes to name ones child after Susan Blackmore or Ophelia Benson. IIRC, Mary Midgley is an atheist but she probably doesn't qualify because she and Dawkins don't get on, she's not rude about religious belief (being the daughter of a clergyman) and in some circles Mary is quite an important religious name.

Insist that she names him after one of the big hitters rather than saddling him with Christopher Richard Atheistbaby!

Do atheist babies have rebellious phases as teenagers where they don't want to go to atheist summer camp and decide to join the Society of St Pius X?

Madeline is sort of an atheist name. I am thinking of Madeline Murray O'Hair, who was partly responsible for getting prayer removed from schools. Too bad she was a complete bitch and was murdered.

Thief!

[Biased]

Posted by Pânts (# 999) on :

Why not just go for the 'place of conception' idea? Seems to be one of the in things.

Posted by Emma. (# 3571) on :

Like "bed"?

eta I quite like "daisy" but the partner doesnt [Frown] (if we ever had kids).

When I was younger I quite liked "sky". It was very odd when it appeared on neighbours and yet now it seems a *bit* more normal.

Other kids I teach are Champagne, Brandy, Barbie, Iona, Skye.

In fact - I like the scotland island names - Iona and Skye are pretty, not so sure about Mull though!!

((not at all sure Id want to go and spend months on an island just to ensure conception at the right point!))

[ 10. October 2007, 14:57: Message edited by: Emma. ]

Or "up against a wall".

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

Which needlessly bring us to a question I've often pondered.

What do atheists shout when they orgasm?

AG

quote:
Originally posted by Pânts:
Why not just go for the 'place of conception' idea? Seems to be one of the in things.

Doorway
Stationerycupboard
Golfcourse
Airplane
Party
Bog

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

Dawkins! Dawkins! O, Dawkins.... I'm coming!

quote:
Which needlessly bring us to a question I've often pondered.

AG

"fuck"?

Surely that's what they're doing, not what they say.

[ETA - what about, "I'm achieving rational enlightenment"?]

[ 10. October 2007, 15:08: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

quote:

Oh no that's a popular Christian one especially amongst certain groups of African Christian. Where we tend not to use that we still use Joshua (the Hebrew form of Jesus). Just as Muslims regularly call their kids Mohammed. I think "Christ" would be the one you were actually looking for. Which is a bit like calling him "King" or "Priest" but seems to be used only for Jesus.

Jengie

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

Ah, you gentle/pure/holy people have no idea.

quote:
Originally posted by Beautiful_Dreamer:
My husband's name is Severn. I believe that is the name of a river. That would be a non-religious name, and a surefire way to make sure no one in his class has the same name.

"Ouse", perhaps.

Of course the other problem with that name is that Severn has an association with Bores.

[ 10. October 2007, 15:26: Message edited by: Manipled Mutineer ]

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Oh no that's a popular Christian one especially amongst certain groups of African Christian.

Indeed- which is why it would be the best atheist name. If I named my son Jesus, as an atheist, that would be true sacrilege, wouldn't it? 'Christ' sounds pretty cool though, although everyone'd be bound to mistake it for Chris.

quote:
quote:

[Two face]

Posted by Amazing Grace (# 95) on :

quote:
quote:

Oh no that's a popular Christian one especially amongst certain groups of African Christian.
It is a very common given name in Mexico.

"Chuy" is the standard nickname.

Charlotte

quote:
quote:

By that definition, Matt should know all about it... (I'm told.)

Posted by Arrietty (# 45) on :

Woody Allen called one of his children Satchel. I think that has great potential and you could use other household articles.

After all, if IKEA is allowed to fill a catalogue full of bookshelves called Bobby and tables called Bjorn, there's no reason you can't call a child Doorstop.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
She will have to watch gridiron football. Some of the names that the players have come from somewhere God doesn't dwell. There was a "Plaxico" something-or-other playing tightend for a team a couple of weeks ago.

Plaxico (or even Plexico) Burress, a very large Wide Receiver for the New York Giants. Scored a great touchdown on Sunday - reckon a few might get named after him this week in New York ...

Posted by bc_anglican (# 12349) on :

quote:
quote:

Thank you, I just threw up my breakfast.

quote:
Originally posted by bc_anglican:
quote:
quote:

Thank you, I just threw up my breakfast.
Hmm. Yeah, that happens a lot.

quote:
quote:

Indeed- which is why it would be the best atheist name. If I named my son Jesus, as an atheist, that would be true sacrilege, wouldn't it? 'Christ' sounds pretty cool though, although everyone'd be bound to mistake it for Chris.
No. It means Jehovah is Salvation, which an odd expression for an Atheist to make, but hardly sacrilege. Jesus is a normal boys name, it just happens to be the one Jesus Christ was called by. In some ways "Immanuel" which is actually quite popular is more blasphemous, as it is title specifically given by an Angel to Jesus Christ . God really does not seem to have much concern what the common name was for Jesus Christ, far more worried over that of John the Baptist.

Jengie

When I first went to America I had a reciept from McDonalds with "you were served today by Jesus". I meant to bring it home with me [Smile]

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

Actual names from a family my husband's childhood best friend married into:

Lark
Iona
Ptarmigan
Shakti
Wren

I forget the others (it's been a while), but you can see the themes.

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:
Woody Allen called one of his children Satchel. I think that has great potential and you could use other household articles.

He didn't make it up though. There was a great black baseball player named Satchel Paige.

quote:
After all, if IKEA is allowed to fill a catalogue full of bookshelves called Bobby and tables called Bjorn, there's no reason you can't call a child Doorstop.

That would be awesome in a really sick sort of way.

[ 10. October 2007, 16:06: Message edited by: Gwai ]

Think of the possibilities for those people who like to be cutesy and make all the children's names start off with the same letter(s)!

Doorstop
Doorknocker
Doorbell
Doorlatch
Doorjamb
Doorway

quote:
Jesus is a normal boys name

In that case, it seems a little odd that it isn't more popular in the West. So, why aren't all you good Christian folks naming your kids 'Jesus'?

[I've a feeling IngoB's real name should be Jesus, but that's another matter.]

Posted by rosamundi (# 2495) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:

Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan? That is just mean. Really quite desperately cruel.

[ 10. October 2007, 16:22: Message edited by: rosamundi ]

quote:
quote:

In that case, it seems a little odd that it isn't more popular in the West. So, why aren't all you good Christian folks naming your kids 'Jesus'?

You really have not been listening. They have been, just not in England for some reason perhaps because we prefer Joshua, sound wise. It is the same name as Jesus. Other Biblical names with two spellings include James and Jacob (how the English got James I do not know, but there we are) and John and Ivan.

As for forms of Mary, I am not even going to start listing. Oh the earliest known form of that is Mara and it means bitter.

Jengie

[ 10. October 2007, 16:36: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

quote:
You really have not been listening. They have been, just not in England for some reason...

I really have. I was specifically asking for that reason.

Posted by bc_anglican (# 12349) on :

I think the reason why many people would not name their child, Jesus is because it is considered THE sacred name. Paul writes that it is under the name of Jesus, that humanity is saved. Because it is holy, naming your child "Jesus" seems awfully trite and bordering on sacrilege.

On the other hand, Joshua is a form of Jesus, and it is a fairly popular name.

[ 10. October 2007, 16:38: Message edited by: bc_anglican ]

quote:
quote:
You really have not been listening. They have been, just not in England for some reason...

I really have. I was specifically asking for that reason.
There is no reason to assume any of the Jesus' we have mentioned are anything but Christian. Christianity isn't an English phenomena. So I would say that not using Jesus is an English phenomena not a Christian one.

Jengie

[ 10. October 2007, 16:38: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

quote:
There is no reason to assume any of the Jesus' we have mentioned are anything but Christian. Christianity isn't an English phenomena. So I would say that not using Jesus is an English phenomena not a Christian one.

You've really not been listening. I was aking why you, Jengie, haven't (presumably) named your child Jesus. Or any other English/US Christians here. Fortunately, bc_a seems to have been listening, and has answered this, above.

Oh, and the singular is phenomenon, BTW.

Posted by JimT (# 142) on :

quote:

Girl atheist babies are harder. One is pretty much left with Eleanor (Marx).

I didn't see "Ayn" yet. Excellent choice. "Rand" could be used for a boy as well IMO.

Posted by eeGAD (# 4675) on :

I may have linked to this site years ago, but it continues to be the benchmark on bad baby names and a wickedly witty response as to why they are so bad.

So many names to choose from, so little time.

Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing

read and enjoy!

eeG

Posted by babybear (# 34) on :

quote:
Iona

Emma mentioned Iona too. I find it decidedly odd that people would think it an odd name. It is a traditional Scottish girls' name. Similar names are Isla and Eileen; all three mean 'island'. They are no more unusual in Scotland than 'Fiona' or 'Sarah'.

Posted by Pearl B4 Swine (# 11451) on :

"Christ" is an acceptable male first name among the Amish in Lancaster County. I see it in classified ads and auction notices in the Lancaster Farmer newspaper.

quote:
quote:

You've really not been listening. I was aking why you, Jengie, haven't (presumably) named your child Jesus. Or any other English/US Christians here. Fortunately, bc_a seems to have been listening, and has answered this, above.

Oh, and the singular is phenomenon, BTW.

Don't have children, so never considered the possibility. I think when I was quite small at least one of my "friends" was called Jesus (friends is in quotes as I was under three years old and it applied to all the kids around). Being half South African means that I grew up with the stories of children called "Jesus". Not its not particularly rare if you move in the right places.

Look here or here or here if you do not believe me.

There are two origins one via Spain, one via missionary work where they just adopted Jesus. As I have said there really is no difference between calling your child Jesus and calling him Joshua which is probably closer to what Jesus was actually called.

Jengie

Posted by Pânts (# 999) on :

quote:
Look here or here or here if you do not believe me.

Was anyone not?

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

quote:
quote:

... and suddenly, celibacy becomes much, much easier!...

Posted by Seeker963 (# 2066) on :

quote:
My husband's name is Severn. I believe that is the name of a river.

As a resident of the Severn Valley area, I can attest to that. [Big Grin]

Posted by welsh dragon (# 3249) on :

African names are excellent (Comfort, Precious, Princess. even Coca Cola)

Dave tells me the name Ichabod means "abandoned by God", so that might be a good name for an atheist. Yes, we watched Sleepy Hollow the other night. But googling I find "glory has departed" and "inglorious" as alternative meanings.

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

quote:
quote:

Doorway
Stationerycupboard
Golfcourse
Airplane
Party
Bog

You forgot "Backseat."

In the piss-off-the-fundies category, I'm surprised no one has suggested "Darwin."

Posted by Komensky (# 8675) on :

quote:
quote:

It's illegal in England to name your boy 'Jesus'.

K.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Seriously?

It's more or less a traditional name in Mexico. What the heck does Chuy* do if he moves from Oxaca to London?

*Chuy= nickname for Jesus.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

quote:
Ptarmigan

you're freaking kidding me? those are the dumbest birds on the planet, and not even all that pretty to look at. (good eatin' tho...)

Alaskans often give their children either tranditional Alaskan names - Napaqtuq, Nugiluq. Tiqiganaq/Chegiliqoy, Tajoo* - or names from Alaskan places or creatures. Tehrefore, there are at least 3 Denalis in town, I know of one Tazlina and a Yukon (poor guy). I've met numerous Ravens (sacred animal here), a Falcon, and one Wolf.

A friend of my parents wanted them to name me after where I was concieved (there is quite the story there) but as it was in the lodge at Skwentna, I'm so happy they declined.

*nicknames: Napaq, Nuggs, Tiqi/Chel (that was me, by the way), Taj.

nice new look, eeGAD...

I just realised I just said everything Charlotte said. Sorry about that, girl.

...but the relocation question still stands! Does Chuy have to change his name when he moves to London?

Posted by Spiffy da WonderSheep (# 5267) on :

quote:

Satchel Paige, great baseball player and a pioneer in the integration of the sport in the US.

[Yellow Shirt]
The bookshelves you are likely referring to is IKEA's BILLY collection (names are always in caps, don't ask, I haven't been given the sekrit handshake for that level of information yet as I am but a lowly cashier). The BILLY collection is our most affordable line of shelving, and is also one of our bestsellers for the last few decades, up there with the LACK and MALM collections. And I'm typing this while seated at my MIKAEL desk. Actually, I really like the collections that have proper names, as I can pronounce BILLY a heckuva lot easier than KLAPPEN.
[/Yellow Shirt]

I teach a kid name Satchel. First thing I said to him when he came in was "What a great name!"

But then my Stepdad was a huge Satchel Page fan.

(His brother is named Atticus. [Cool] )

quote:
Originally posted by Komensky:

Crap, I'd better call third cousin Jesse and tell him not to move to England. We calls him Jesse because his first name is "Jesus y Maria".

I know it don't make sense, but hell, my uncle James is called "Rogie" (row-GEE).

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

This thread reminds me of the story of a Cambridge applicant, who in his interview for admission was asked, "So what made you choose this college?"

"Well," he replied, "I didn't want to go to a college with a religious name like Trinity or Christ's or St John's ... so I chose Emmanuel."

I remember visitng a Polish university about ten years ago and one of the lecturers told me of a Mexican exchange student whose name caused a stir: Jesus Maria. Which, amongst slavs is considering swearing ('Ježíš Maria!' in Czech).

Also, many years ago I was in Boston (USA, not Lincolnshire) and I heard a southern woman shout at her child in a supermarket: 'Spatula, I have two words for you: be have!'. No joke.

So, I suppose 'Spatula' might be a good atheist name.

K.

Posted by the Pookah (# 9186) on :

As shipmates have pointed out it is pretty easy:

trees, rivers: Rowan, Daisy, Iona, Severn

Roman names: Marcus/Marca, Quintus/Quinta, Gaius/Gaia, Tiberius, Tiberia, Titus...

French Revolutionary names:(!) Liberte, Brutus, Danton, Cato, Floreal. I saw this book in the library, actual names, fascinating.

Russian Revolutionary names: Octabrina, October
comes to mind as particularly nice.

And finally the great atomist: Lucretius, who wrote the bissful 'On the Nature of Things' . If a girl Lucretia..
the Pookah

Posted by Choirboy (# 9659) on :

Or you could pick names that summarize atheist thought, like 'Wormfood'. [Big Grin]

Posted by Real Ale Methodist (# 7390) on :

There are rules in Britain about what you can name someone, but not on what you can be named.

E.G. I could not change my name by deed poll to Duke. Were I an American called Duke I could move here and keep my name.

(quite simple really)

Posted by Zealot en vacance (# 9795) on :

quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
quote:
Originally posted by Zealot en vacance:

How I wish I'd made a similar point. [Roll Eyes]
So very sorry to have had better ideas.

Posted by Left at the Altar (# 5077) on :

I found out yesterday that I woman I know has a daughter called Heaven. I almost choked. I must ask her if she's a God-botherer, or just slightly nutty.

Despite being a heathen myself, my two girls' names are both saints' names and my son's name apparently means "The way" in arabic. I realise now that I've made a gross mistake and should rename them. I'm thinking:

Brunhilda;
Ermyntrude; and
Herbert.

If any of the above should, in fact, be religious names, please let me know, and I'll have a re-think.

quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:
I found out yesterday that I woman I know has a daughter called Heaven. I almost choked. I must ask her if she's a God-botherer, or just slightly nutty.

Despite being a heathen myself, my two girls' names are both saints' names and my son's name apparently means "The way" in arabic. I realise now that I've made a gross mistake and should rename them. I'm thinking:

Brunhilda;
Ermyntrude; and
Herbert.

If any of the above should, in fact, be religious names, please let me know, and I'll have a re-think.

Herbert is a problem; three times in fact. The other two seem fine, though, if that's any consolation.

Brunhilda was a Valkyrie; and I don't think Atheists want to support Asatru either;-) So don't call your son Thor.

Concord, Reason, Liberty sound good to me if we are inventing a new nomenclature. Why not?

the Pookah

Romulus or Remus are good LATA.

Or if he's a typical boy child Keep Peace.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

I wouldn't name my kid Jesus. It could get pretty confusing at prayer time.

Not to mention, "Hey, Jesus, get your a** out of that tree RIGHT NOW!"

ETA: Similarly embarrassing, but possible, names for an atheist girl would be Vulva, Vagina and Clitoris. Sounds like something Robert Herrick would write poems to.

[ 10. October 2007, 22:34: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

quote:
Originally posted by the Pookah:
As shipmates have pointed out it is pretty easy:
[snip
Russian Revolutionary names: Octabrina, October
comes to mind as particularly nice.

And finally the great atomist: Lucretius, who wrote the bissful 'On the Nature of Things' . If a girl Lucretia..
the Pookah

Right, well there are tonnes of great communist names. I've met several Russians and Ukes with names like 'Ninel' (Lenin spelled backwards) and a saucy girls name 'Elektrifikace'. Those poor souls. Just like the little chavlettes now called Chardonnay, Aniken, LaTisha, etc.

K.

quote:

OP here. I guess "jersey" might be okay. I will suggest it.

I know a Satchel, too. Ugly little brute.

Seriously though, what are the religious connotations of "william"?

I've worked at a school with a student named Vagina.

Pronounced veh-GIN-uh.

Posted by sharkshooter (# 1589) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
"Christ" is an acceptable male first name ...

Imagine for a minute a daughter given "Christ" as a first name.

When she gets older and her siblings have children, they will call her ...

AntiChrist

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

You're all very amusing. Really.

I especially like how each and every one of you appears to be utterly oblivious to the implied reasons why someone might not want to have their children with names too strongly associated with religion. It's a quaint joke how christianity is seen more and more as foolish, callow, and malignant. And you're the slack-jawed punchline.

(Presumably the participating non-theists are either morons, or laughing AT the christians. Or maybe both.)

To which the secure-in-their-beliefs people might retort, "We're not even slightly worried about that perception, because we're obviously not those things."

Let me preemptively pat you on the head. No, of course you're not. It's those pesky other christians. They're totally different, and everybody knows that.

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

I worked with a girl named "LaTrean" for 6 years. My mother would not believe me when I was talking about work and said "I was talking to LaTrean and her husband when..." <abrupt interrupted by mom> "Wait, hold on a minute. You work with someone named after a bathroom?" Then it hit me. And I had trouble saying her name ever since.

(Not making this up...African-American from East Palo Alto. Nice girl too and very pretty. But the name really was not a good one. I hope she never stumbles upon this post.)

So Rook, can you tell me with a straight face, that you would associate the name William with religion in a way that could bother you? Or if you had a daughter, you'd have to be careful of calling her Rebecca in case someone thought you were a Christian?

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
So Rook, can you tell me with a straight face, that you would associate the name William with religion in a way that could bother you? Or if you had a daughter, you'd have to be careful of calling her Rebecca in case someone thought you were a Christian?

My spawn will be lucky if I don't name it after a particularly virulent parasite. But no, I can't say that I personally give a flying fuck about whether any particular name is associated with christianity.

But suggesting exactly that insult to smug christians? I'm all over that. Obviously.

Posted by sharkshooter (# 1589) on :

Did someone misplace your medication, RooK?

Posted by HangarQueen (# 6914) on :

posted by Rook
quote:
I especially like how each and every one of you appears to be utterly oblivious to the implied reasons why someone might not want to have their children with names too strongly associated with religion. It's a quaint joke how christianity is seen more and more as foolish, callow, and malignant. And you're the slack-jawed punchline.
Oh, we spotted the reasons, my dear boy. We're just having a bit of fun in Hell.

quote:
Originally posted by HangarQueen:
Oh, we spotted the reasons, my dear boy. We're just having a bit of fun in Hell.

Gosh, superinsightfulperson, it's awfully fortunate that I made that mistake so that I could accidentally piss all over your inappropriate use of this forum.

Fucking tool.

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

There ya go, great name for an atheist's baby!

Name the little beggar a good strong anti-God name that will truly display and portray the way you hope he grows up to spread the anti-Word:

"Fucking Tool"!!

How's a bout "Hapless Pawn"?

Or the anti-form of various good Christian names:

"Faithless", "Hopeless", "Loveless" --

Darwin, Rook, who crapped on your cornflakes?

Posted by Gort (# 6855) on :

I suspect it was a herd of circus clowns suffering from diarrhea.

Send out the clowns! There ought not be clowns!

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

The odd thing is Jesus is a popular Spanish name, but English speakers won't touch it with a ten-foot pole. Mispronouncing the Spanish version according to English custom is a big no-no. Weird really.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
My spawn will be lucky if I don't name it after a particularly virulent parasite.

Giardia! Cryptosporidium! Time for dinner!

Frankly Rook does have a point;
it kind of freaks me out to meet Jewish men called Chris, Brian, Kevin...yuh all true. Give me your tried and true Davids, Joshuas et al.

And it was weirder in Ireland with the RC's taking up such Jewish specials as Leah and Aaron.

I want the dratted Atheists to take nifty Atheist names. Agnostics wishy-washy agnostic names too.

A Proper observance of nomeclature helps the non-Christian, Pookah avoid dating Mr. Jesus.
the Pookah
Remember James Jesus Angleton.

Posted by Josephine (# 3899) on :

Pookah, Eldest Son's best friends, when he was in high school, were Nathan (who was Lutheran) and Matthew (who was Jewish).

It was more than a bit confusing.

Posted by Fool of a Took (# 7412) on :

quote:
Originally posted by marmot:
quote:
My spawn will be lucky if I don't name it after a particularly virulent parasite.

I had a pet rat named yersinia. But then, you can do things to a pet you just can't do to the person who'll be selecting your nursing home.

quote:
Originally posted by eeGAD:
Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing

wow that's a fun site. my favorite entry so far:
quote:
My last name is Tinkletop. For some reason my wife objects to naming our son Timothy, Timmy for short. I think it's a good, memorable name.
HAR! Some pople are too stupid to live.

Posted by Petrified (# 10667) on :

I have a small toy dog called Pseudosporochnus

I also rather like Cladoxylopsida

the realm of fossil plants is full of possibilities

Posted by flighty (# 11364) on :

My 8 year old sister-in-law called her pet budgie Rubella...despite being told it is a disease.

I vote for Bronchitis, Allan Indiana David Simon / Harold Iri Vermont (look at the capitals), Pneumonia or Gangrene.

They are my suggestions anyway.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

I met a Lanesra recently. Her father's a football fan - it's Arsenal backwards. Aaaargh...

Posted by Freelance Monotheist (# 8990) on :

Lyra for a girl? Heroine of 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Pullman, so rather apt, I think.

quote:

K.

[Paranoid] Reference?

quote:

I've been Googling this for 20 mins, and drawn a blank. Could you please confirm this is true?

Thanks,

Jesus (dogwonderer).

I reckon it's a myth. In some places, there are approved lists of names. Here in Australia (as, I think would be the case in the UK), registrars of Birth can refuse to register obscene or generally offensive (and perhaps, stupid) names. But Jesus isn't one that I'd expect to make the list. In fact, I recall a family in my home town (who were from PNG, but living and working in Australia for a period and presumably registering their children born in Australia under Victorian registration procedures), naming their two children Jesus and Moses. (It may come as a surprise to you all to know that this was a somewhat religious family). No one told them to change the names of these kids.

Posted by Max. (# 5846) on :

I went to school with people with the following names:

Rawden (boy), Beren (boy), Dane (boy), Demelza (girl), Sky (boy), Flame (boy), Element (Girl).

I now go to college with a Augustus!

Max

Josephine mentioned that she was surprised to know a Jewish person with the name "Matthew" and there have been other similar comments.

Up until now I dont think Id ever thought that someones name reflects their religion at all. I know lots of Christians with kids with OT names like the Joshua and David fad that we went thru a few years ago. I know lots of Christians who have kids with names that I dont think are associated with the bible - like leila, sheelagh etc. Its so common I wouldnt bat an eyelid.

Do people really associate religions with names? (I'd assumed this was just a bit of fun til now!)

Posted by Custard. (# 5402) on :

How about "Jezebel"?

Jesus doesn't appear in the top 100 most popular names in Britain in the last five years, 'though Joshua came second for four of those years, and third last year.

Check the stats, here (and here for girls).

Posted by Freelance Monotheist (# 8990) on :

Random aside: My sister was almost called Demelza... She ended up being a Mary though!

Posted by Birdseye (# 5280) on :

Why not avoid labelling your children entirely...thereby encouraging rational freedom of thought without burdening them with expectations -until they reach puberty they could just be 'Surname 1' 'Surname 2' and so forth -then at puberty they could choose their own identifier and have a naming party.

...Letting rebellious 13 year-olds pick their own names would be much more entertaining than letting grown-ups do it in advance.

Posted by Anselmina (# 3032) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:

Do people really associate religions with names? (I'd assumed this was just a bit of fun til now!)

In weird places like Northern Ireland they do. I wonder if things have changed recently; but certainly in my childhood 'Irish' names such as Catriona, Connor, Sean, Siobhan, Bernadette, were almost sure to be the names of Catholic people.

Also, peculiar religious names such as Rafael and Assumpta.

Then the strange category of 'obviously Catholic' but don't quite know why eg, Petra, Damian, Simone, Liam.

As I say, weird.

quote:
Originally posted by Birdseye:
Why not avoid labelling your children entirely... until they reach puberty

This still amounts to child abuse- they should be at least eighteen, whereupon they'll be mature enough to make up their own minds, free from indoctrination and inculcation.

Yeah. And stop heaping your doctrinaire expectations on them about bathing and going to school and stuff like that, too. Narsty self-centered parents. Hmph.

I wonder are their lots of Mormon Brighams, Youngs, Smiths -- and Kolobs and Moronis?

Posted by JonahMan (# 12126) on :

I don't think you could go far wrong in copying a Mr Michael Howard who changed his name to
Yorkshire Bank plc are fascist bastards

I guess that might get shortened to York for everyday use. At least it would be a sentiment that both religious and non-religious people could all sign up to.

Jonah

Posted by Rev per Minute (# 69) on :

quote:
Originally posted by JonahMan:
I don't think you could go far wrong in copying a Mr Michael Howard who changed his name to
Yorkshire Bank plc are fascist bastards

Jonah

No wonder the Tories lost the last election! [Help]

Perhaps they sould buy a Scrabble set, pick out some letters and use that as a name. Seems to work for half the NBA as far as I can see.

quote:
Originally posted by Freelance Monotheist:
Lyra for a girl? Heroine of 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Pullman, so rather apt, I think.

Good point, but then the male main character was... Will... which as we all know, has religious associations.

Please someone tell me what they are!

I'm guessing King Billy, if she dislikes Calvin. (aka William III, King of England and Stadtholder of the Dutch Republic known in his lifetime as a politique and a statesman and postumously adopted as a regimental goat by the bovine spongiform wing of Ulster Protestantism.)

Posted by My Duck (# 11924) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
Pookah, Eldest Son's best friends, when he was in high school, were Nathan (who was Lutheran) and Matthew (who was Jewish).

It was more than a bit confusing.

I seem to recall a Matthew who wrote a Rather Important Book who was also Jewish [Biased]

Emma

It used to be standard practice in English Non-Conformist denominations to give your children Biblical names. This went on for centuries. There is reference to it in Silas Marner by George Elliot, but it was certainly often still practised when I was a child. That has left me with rather a lot of Ruths amongst my acquaintances.

At least we stopped naming kids after biblical virtues, I think.

Jengie

Posted by babybear (# 34) on :

I love this quote from "Lords and Ladies" by Terry Pratchett.

quote:
The Carter parents were a quiet and respectable Lancre family who got into a bit of a mix-up when it came to naming their children. First, they had four daughters, who were christened Hope, Chastity, Prudence and Charity, because naming girls after virtues is an ancient and unremarkable tradition. Then their first son was born and out of some misplaced idea about how this naming business was done he was called Anger Carter, followed later by Jealousy Carter, Bestiality Carter and Covetousness Carter.

Yes that is good, I wish I new the book which had lines in it being screeched at street kids like:

quote:

Chastity stop playing with that boy now!

or

quote:
Purity stop messing in the gutter!
or
quote:
Now Joy just you stop your snivelling or I'll whack you one.
Jengie

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
It used to be standard practice in English Non-Conformist denominations to give your children Biblical names.

It still is. And amongst evangelical Anglicans.

Little kids I can think of offhand include Isaac and Rebekah, James and John, a couple of Sams and an Adam, some Esthers and a Naomi.

The only reason it doesn't stand out so much nowadays is that everyone else does as well because we are going though another period of finding such names posh.

My own close relatives by marriage and blood include a Sarah, an Abigail, and a Ruth. Also more than one Mary and a Joseph (though they were the Catholic side)

Faith is still known here in Canada. One of my great-nieces is called that, and I know a few others

Charity and Hope are long gone though.

quote:
Originally posted by PeteCanada:
Faith is still known here in Canada... Charity and Hope are long gone though.

[Killing me]

quote:
Faith is still known here in Canada. One of my great-nieces is called that, and I know a few others

I went to school (in the US) with a Charity. She had a reputation for being, um, charitable towards boys.

quote:

[looks around for usual suspects]
[Roll Eyes] [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

[nope, none of them hereabouts]

[Komensky isn't orthodox is he?]

Posted by sandushinka (# 13021) on :

I've always been fond of the Soviet era names Melor and Melsor. They're acronyms for Marx, Engels, Lenin, Stalin [the "s" got dropped later for obvious reasons], October, Revolution.

There's a Sci-fi name generator. I can't speak for all the races, but I think Vulcans are atheistic, aren't they?

Josephine; why do parents do that, do they have no sense of the future?

Emma et al. Nomenclature does matter. I realize most liberal shipmates don't care if the beloved is Christian or Jewish or Buddhist.
I'm fine dating liberal Christians too, the rub is when Jewish people want Jewish mates. I've seen it end in tears too many times for the non-Jewish person. And that very well could be someone with a Jewish father but who isn't Jewish by orthodox Jewish law.

With intermarriage so high in the U.S. now, no one can assume & people ask outright 'are you Jewish?' I am legally, no matter what kind of religious slacker I am.

Also I just don't have any cultural frame of reference with someone who believes sex is sinful, 'we are all sinners' or in Hell. So I would never even go out with an Evangelical or RC. (bad experiences with males trying to convert me)snd Josephine understands, Orthodox.

Jews should name their children, Joshua, David, Rachael or Israeli names - Avishag, Tal, Yael etc.
Francis Xavier or Eamonn gives someone a hint. So does Serge, Octobrina, and the inimitable Jesus [Biased] So in all seriousness I'm all for Pagan, Atheist & Agnostic nomenclature.
the Pookah - Middle name Sarah, wish I'd been named Yael.

Posted by Choirboy (# 9659) on :

quote:

Never name them Rook - you might become attached.

quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
Never name them Rook - you might become attached.

One of the things my wife found most disturbing about me was when she found out I name the meat portion of my meals individually. Well, except for the steak from Pagliacci's - "Damon Runyon" comes pre-named.

Damn, now I'm hungry.

Wimp.

You wait until you're sitting at the restaurant, you namby-pampy, all cool and clean and relaxed, cute wife across the table from you to admire your prowess? You wait until the waiter brings it out to you to name it?

Hmph.

I wanna see you pimp the breeder bunnies.

I wanna see you cull the weanlings.

I wanna see you feed up the fryers nice and fat, having named every one and called each by his name over weeks of time.

I wanna see you select tonight's dinner, and pick him up, and stroke his furry body to still his worried quivering, murmuring his name.

And take him to the chopping block.

Bleed him, skin him, wash him, cut him up, simmer him with a little garlic and cayenne, and serve up little Thumper in his own gravy on a bed of fluffy rice.

Then I'd be impressed that you names yer meat.

Do I look like some loser yokel? Raising helpless penned creatures for food is what I pay lower echelons of society to do for me.

Prowess, indeed. I do it purely for the self-satisfied amusement it generates. I hereby dub the hilariously appropriate can of chunk white tuna I'm about to consume "Janine". While I'm at it, I'll dub the glass of wine "fuck you, stupid bitch".

Your wife, Rook? I didn't realise you got hitched already. (scrolls through wedding pics on Rook's homepage). Gosh, how on earth did you persuade that very pretty girl to tie the knot?

Mind you, it must be a lot cheaper than paying nursing fees.

[many congrats btw]

[ 12. October 2007, 05:31: Message edited by: welsh dragon ]

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Yes, congrats to Rook and The Nurse, if I'm allowed to congratulate in Hell.

Now, back to the names - someone mentioned sci-fi names. Friends of mine have managed to incorporate Star Trek and X-Men names into their family without sounding too weird in the process. (But of course there are characters with religious faith in both of those, so you'd need to beware.)

I still don't see what's Christian about William, unless it's Billy Graham. But I've never understood why people would call their son 'Christian'. Surely that's just asking for trouble. Oddly enough, most people I know who have a son called Christian aren't churchgoers anyway. So why?

quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
(scrolls through wedding pics on Rook's homepage).

Wedding Pics?!?!?

you're a fine one for sharing, Mr. KooK!

*tramples hellions on way to the wedding pictures*

quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
Your wife, Rook? I didn't realise you got hitched already. (scrolls through wedding pics on Rook's homepage). Gosh, how on earth did you persuade that very pretty girl to tie the knot?

And what a fantastic lizard - has it replaced the squinty mouse? It's a lot better looking.

Must have been a great day. Hope the glow lasts.

Posted by multipara (# 2918) on :

The pague bacillus Yersinia pestis used to be known as Pasteurella pestis: now, how is Pasteurella for a suitably euphonious handle for a little atheist? Or Neisseria?

Curiously, no-one has suggested Rosa (for Rosa Luxemburg) or Krupskaya (for Lenin's wife)

Off-topic but what the heck: someone else commented that no Christiam calls their little boy Christ: wrong, wrong, wrong. Every little Greek Orthodox boy in Oz known as Chris was baptised Christos-definitely not Christophoros. The $64 question is whether the name day is celebrated on 25 December or 07 January.

m

Posted by Cantiones Sacrae (# 12774) on :

I discovered yesterday that a girl in my daughter's primary school class is called Bacardi - nothing Christian or religious about that. I know a family of four: two girls called Tethys and Tarnaquil, and two boys called Merlin and Rollo.

Posted by Zwingli (# 4438) on :

quote:
And what a fantastic lizard - has it replaced the squinty mouse? It's a lot better looking.

Must have been a great day. Hope the glow lasts.

The mouse is still there, getting up close and personal with Mrs RooK in one picture.

And may I say, lovely photos, the bride looks fantastic, and RooK hides his evilness superbly.

I promise I will name the next creature I hunt or raise "RooK".

I wonder what the Nurse has to say about potential baby names, should that time come? I mean, assuming y'all's DNA is compatible and all...

Cantiones sacrae; don'tspeak to soon ; Rollo was not an unusual name in mediaeval Europe-there may well be a saint of that name !

m (who only recently discovered that the Antichrist the late Nikita Krushchev was named for an Ukrainian Orthodox saint)

Posted by Henry Troup (# 3722) on :

quote:
When in doubt, fall back on the classics.

Primus

I have a cousin named "Una", which is also a number.

How about transcedental numbers and other mathematical concepts?

Pi
e
Epsilon, Omega (see Just Six Numbers )

I also knew a guy called Helium, though that might have been an anglicisation of something else.

quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
How about transcedental numbers and other mathematical concepts?

Natural Log?

Posted by The Bede's American Successor (# 5042) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
I also knew a guy called Helium, though that might have been an anglicisation of something else.

Gasbag?

Or a shortened form of Helium Heels?

I went to school with a guy named "Argon". He was pretty cool about it, but he was a bit of an air head.

I went to school with a girl named Pocahontas Spring Mintz. At least she had a good sense of humor.

Ah Multipara;
even I knew that Nikita is a common Ukrainian saint's name (quite attractive) You need Komensky, & a while ago I too had the funny list of Soviet names;
Ninel, Illych, Octobrina, Vladelen. The French ones to my mind are way nicer & sound delightful: Brumaire, Fructaire, Bruttine.
the Pookah
Rook should name his spawn steak & chips;-)

Posted by Fool on Hill (# 12183) on :

A little surprised that weather conditions get not mention down here in Hell - I once knew a Storm (South African). Tsunami or Tornado?

my son has both a Storm and a Thunder in his class.

it sounds like dog names.

I told Chasee#2 that if Storm gets obnoxious, just call him "Squall". [Big Grin]

Posted by Cantiones Sacrae (# 12774) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Fool on Hill:
A little surprised that weather conditions get not mention down here in Hell - I once knew a Storm (South African). Tsunami or Tornado?

There's a famous stage director called Gale Edwards. Always amused me; wish I was called Blizzard. Or Monsoon.

The trend for 'revolutionary' names in the former USSR faded in the 1940s when such names as (one can only imagine the translation) "I didn't want"or 'I didn't expect" started to appearin the registry...funny how even in an atheist state everyone reverted to good Orthodox saints' names.

Curiously in post-revolution France the same thing happened and in fact some bureaucrat drew up a list of "approved" names for the sons and daughters of la patrie. I recall that many years ago a Breton couple took L'Etat to the World Court re their right to give 6 of their 12 children Celtic names which were not on the approved register..the kidswere , in effect "non-persons" as the local maire refused to accept their (baptismal) names on the local registry.

m

quote:
Originally posted by Cantiones Sacrae:
quote:
Originally posted by Fool on Hill:

There's a famous stage director called Gale Edwards. Always amused me; wish I was called Blizzard. Or Monsoon.
Hello Sun, hello Sky, hello Cloud, or would that be too uterly wet and weedy?

I used to think that Nikita was a pet form of Nikolas, but the four Saints Nikita I can easily find in Google were all in fact originally called Aniketos.

Nothing Ukrainian about any of them - a Syrian, a Greek, a Goth, and a Great Russian.

As Aniketos means "Unconquerable" and Nikolas means "Victory of the People" both sound appropriate for Soviet-style communists.

Posted by The Bede's American Successor (# 5042) on :

Here is another science and technology angle for an atheist.

There was a female classmate in my high school graduating class whose first and middle names are "Enola Gay."

Now, it is possible that her father was a part of the military force being prepared to invade Japan—an invasion made unnecessary by the atomic bomb dropped by the Enola Gay on Hiroshima. Naming his daughter after the airplane was a way of saying thanks that he didn't have to invade Japan.*

So, "Enola Gay" is a name taken from something important in world history that has nothing to do with religion.

*My father was a part of those forces being prepared for the invasion. He ended up being an MP patrolling Occupied Japan when the peace treaty was signed. You never suggest to my father that Truman might have been wrong to order the dropping of the Bomb. I can understand his feelings on this, even if I can take a more objective point of view.

quote:
Hello Sun, hello Sky, hello Cloud, or would that be too uterly wet and weedy?

WEEDY! It's perfect! No annoying religious overtones, PLUS it is a kick in the teeth for those goody-two-shoes types that like beautiful flowers and that kind of shit. You could make it longer like WEEDSTON or WEEDINGTON and then shorten it to WEEDY for everyday use.

Or not.

well for a girl Belladona should work well.

Jengie

Posted by Luz y Fuerza (# 10957) on :

quote:

Counterexample. Of late 1950s, Southern Ontario vintage, I had a Hope in my class. As I was very young, and practically every name I met in my kindergarten class was new to me, it was years before it occured to me to relate the name to the virtue "hope".

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
my son has both a Storm and a Thunder in his class.

it sounds like dog names.

I told Chasee#2 that if Storm gets obnoxious, just call him "Squall". [Big Grin]

I worked with a "thunder."

Went to school with a kid named "Two-Dogs-Fucking.", but he'd get all pissy when you asked him how he got his name.

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

Okay but what language was that one in, Kelly? If you say English, I will stand in awe.

It's an old joke, Duch.

I'd link it, but the godawful stuff Google is throwing up at me is pushing the joke down.

[ 14. October 2007, 05:59: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Winter & Autumn are attractive;

thunder & storm do sound like dogs;-) I actually don't know any witches with witchy names, they're called 'wendy' or 'nancy.'

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
It's an old joke, Duch.

I'd link it, but the godawful stuff Google is throwing up at me is pushing the joke down.

I'm pretty curious now, but I'm not sure I dare google, because of what I may get for googling anything with the word fucking in it.

If you google the phrase in quotation marks, there's a 'jokebook' as the third entry- I assume the one there is the joke to which Comet refers.

Kelly.

Ok, I will type out a short version. (which I was too lazy to do last night)

Young truthseeker comes to village shaman and asks him how he selects names for the children.Shaman answers:

"When the child is born, I look out the window, and if I see snow gently falling, the child is called "Snow-Gently-Falling." If I see a galloping horse, the child is named "Galloping Horse." Why do you ask, Two-Dogs-Fucking?"

[ 14. October 2007, 18:43: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

I told a joke?

(actually, I know the joke, but it wasn't mine on this thread!)

nice crosspost!

[ 14. October 2007, 18:43: Message edited by: comet ]

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Young truthseeker comes to village shaman and asks him how he selects names for the children...

On that basis, my children would be named Recycling-Bin, Traffic-Cone and Cat-Who-Prowls-Around-Dustbin.

Posted by Izzybee (# 10931) on :

The Izlet has a "Trinity" in her class. We're still working out whether the parents are religious or just really liked the Matrix - the kids are 5 and 6, so it could be either one.

She also has some kids with some god-awfully pretentious names - whose parents I have met. The parents, as expected, are godawfully pretentious.

An atheist could go retro to the 60s and 70s: lots of Tiffany, Crystal/Krysyl/Kristel/Crhystal, Britney, etc. for girls. The boys back then were more trad/biblical, but the modern atheist could follow the earlier female trend and look to fashion and capitalism for inspiration. Vuitton, Polo, Abercrombie.

One of my brothers suggested one night at the dinner table that Capital Gaines would be a great name for a male child. Sadly neither of my brothers had children and since neither of my husband's brothers did either, I wasn't about to ask that our only son be given my last name.

on the "two-dogs-fucking" tangent - taking into account time of year and location and time of day -

daughter would be "Solstice Party" (born near solstice middle of the night in Fairbanks, with the midnight party near the hospital)

son#1 would be "Marching Grunts" (oh bad...) (born on Army base)

son#2 would be "Large Jets in Whitehorse" or "Canadians on Alert" or, perhaps, "Anesthesiologist Stuck on Other Side of Bridge Construction"

*dammit*

[ 14. October 2007, 19:48: Message edited by: comet ]

Posted by Campbellite (# 1202) on :

quote:
I actually don't know any witches with witchy names, they're called 'wendy' or 'nancy.'

Hazel?

Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck...

Rowan would be a good name for a witch, wouldn't it?

Posted by Amazing Grace (# 95) on :

quote:
An atheist could go retro to the 60s and 70s: lots of Tiffany, Crystal/Krysyl/Kristel/Crhystal, Britney, etc. for girls.

<naming practice pedant hat ON>

Tiffany actually has a religious origin - it's the anglicization of "Theophanie", which occasionally got given to girls born or baptized on January 6. It apparently morphed into a surname and back into a forename [Biased] .

</pedant>

But, yeah, that sort of name will fit the bill, although in my opinion anyone who who gets overly kReeAtiV with the spelling should be shot at dawn. (mmm, Dawn, nice name)

Charlotte

Brandy, Sherry, Whisky.... champagne,

quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:
Brandy, Sherry, Whisky.... champagne,

Chardonnay. She's a little horror of a child, though, who thought jumping all over the train seats in muddy shoes was appropriate behaviour.

Damien. That's a nice name... [Devil]

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:

It's not, believe me, it's not! I know a Damian who worries me lots.

My real name is Shannon. Some sources say it means 'wise one'. I don't know how true that is, but I don't think it has any religious source. It is the name of a region and river in Ireland and can be used for a male or a female.

My sister's name is Kelly, also an Irish name and also unisex.

My sister in law's name is Raina. Her parents made it up.

Not really Beautiful Dreamer;
Kelly isn't unisex, O' Cailleagh for men and something like Nic Cailleagh for women! Real Irish names are tough: Eamonn, Fergal (silent 'g'), Aoife, Oisin, Cian. It's a minefield out there.

Welsh Dragon: I like Rowan, Hazel for witches. There are lots of nice names for non-Christians without sounding creepy or cheap.

I still like the custom of qualities & it works for atheists: Compassion, Sojourner...
the Pookah

[ 15. October 2007, 06:21: Message edited by: the Pookah ]

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
My sister in law's name is Raina. Her parents made it up.

They may think they did... It is the name of the heroine of Shaw's Arms and the Man .

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
quote:

It's also the name of the child in the film the Omen.

Posted by uncletoby (# 13067) on :

quote:

My father-in-law is an atheist and was a communist. My wife's teenage rebellion invovled joining the Greek Orthodox church and threatening to become a nun.

Posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras (# 11274) on :

Lithuania has brilliant pre-Christian names in common currency, though the Church requires a Christian baptismal name. Thus, boys are often named after early grand dukes or princes of the realm such as Mindaugas, Ringaudas, Gediminas, etc., whilst nature names are quite popular for girls (this harks back to the pagan Lithuanian religion), e.g. Ruta (rue, as in the herb). Although this trend is to do with a nostalgic attempt at national authenticity, rather than atheism, it seems a good basis for finding analogous pre-Christian Anglo-Saxon-Celtic names as well as employing nature names. Sorry if this isn't very hellish.

quote:
Welsh Dragon: I like Rowan, Hazel for witches. There are lots of nice names for non-Christians without sounding creepy or cheap.

When I named the Nutter "Hazel" I didn't think of it as being particularly non-Christian, just a family name. I suppose if she ever has a brother, calling him Philbert would be just beyond the pale?

Posted by To The Pain (# 12235) on :

I know someone whose first name is Hazel and was referred to by her maths teacher as Phil for precisely that reason.

TTP

Posted by Zwingli (# 4438) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
quote:

I went to school with a Damian who was a little thug. So much so that over a decade later, when I was leading on a Christian summer camp (the kind teenage atheists go on to rebel against their parents) and one of the kids was a complete dickhead named Todd, I kept calling him Damian by mistake. Which got everyone confused, and I had no way to explain myself; there were no Damian's there to say that I had confused him with.

Posted by Rev per Minute (# 69) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Fool of a Took:
quote:

When I named the Nutter "Hazel" I didn't think of it as being particularly non-Christian, just a family name. I suppose if she ever has a brother, calling him Philbert would be just beyond the pale?
You see, over here that would just be the son of a deluded Leicester City fan who missed his team's old ground [Big Grin]

I went to university with a couple of very nice men named Damien (or Damion, in one case). I'm sure they got picked on in school by people who saw The Omen, but they are very good people.

Leslie is the name of one of my best friends from university, as is Aimee. Another girl I know here is named Promise. Her sister is Amberley.

Leslie and Aimee are quite common here!

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

I would love to know where Meri (Egyptian for Beloved) who was my best friend in primary school ended up. Her sister was called Linnet after the bird.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

quote:
well for a girl Belladona should work well.

The genealogies in Lord of the Rings include a hobbit named Belladonna Took.

Lietuvos;
indeed, Lithuanians were quite reluctant converts;-)It took a crusade in the 13th Century. And so there are a ton of names. I'm in touch with Romuva, the Lithuanian pagans & a scholarly bunch they are...

To be hellish;-) There are quite horrid saints names as Gogol pointed out: Akakii Akakievich is pretty awful.

As for Hazel, the entire 'nut' pun is suitable for 6 year olds..... Hazel, Ash, Linden, are wonderful pagan and atheist names.

Posted by Tumphouse (# 11321) on :

quote:

Mary Midgley is an atheist but she probably doesn't qualify because she and Dawkins don't get on, she's not rude about religious belief (being the daughter of a clergyman) and in some circles Mary is quite an important religious name.

Mrs, Midgeley was my tutor at University, and was quite at home with me reading Religious Studies. A lovely woman.
[Angel]

Posted by chukovsky (# 116) on :

quote:

Or you could wickedly suggest Marian (the first Mrs Dawkins - not surprisingly not and RD fan).

quote:

Actually, given that she played one of the Time Lords in Doctor Who, Romanadvoratrelundar might also be a possibility.

Posted by SpikeyPants (# 12953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Yeah, it's awful. Plaxico plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers, or did when first I learned of his hideous name. I heard of a young black man here in Atlanta, GA named "ChexLexus" Harris. There is considerable debate here (in the U.S.A.) about what people name their children. What a god-awful name: ChexLexus.

My best friend worked with a woman named "Velveeta"!

Velveeta! For those of you across the pond, Velveeta is this processed cheese-like substance. It's sort of good but it's loaded with fat and salt. It's cheap, though, and when you don't have a lot of money for food, it gets eaten a lot.

I hate to say this but most of the awful names I've come across in my time are black folks from the American South and usually, black folks from a lower socio-economic upbringing. I can't fathom why people would name their children such hideous names. I wonder if ol' Velveeta ever managed to get a better paying job than the local Godfather's Pizza chain?

Posted by SearchingForAbsolutes (# 11966) on :

quote:

There may be more problems than you thought.

quote:
Originally posted by Fool of a Took:
quote:
Originally posted by marmot:
quote:

I had a pet rat named yersinia. But then, you can do things to a pet you just can't do to the person who'll be selecting your nursing home.
How about naming your daughter, "Clamidia"? "Vaginellia"? For a boy, "Testacular". "Son, you've done a testacular job on washing my sports car!"

I think, to be perfectly safe, atheists should name their children after inanimate objects. How about "Chair" Sinclair? "Desk" Murphy. "Glass" Clown? Hahahaha, that was bad.

"I'd like you to meet the newest member of our family. Nine pounds and seven ounces, little "Bandsaw" and his older sister, "Doorknob". Aren't they the cutest?"

Named for a perfectly lovely saint,
-A.M.A. II/M.B.N. a.k.a. "SpikeyPants"

Please read the thread before posting what has already been suggested.

On the other hand, I'm sure the Doors will be happy that you have added Doorknob to my list.

quote:
Originally posted by SearchingForAbsolutes:
quote:

Since all the Spanish-heritage countries are crawling with boys and men named Jesus, who do not all die in their thirties after a degenerate entertainment career, I suspect the guy in the link turned out so strange because his father was a sicko, not because of the name.

More atheist baby names:

Dizbelliffa
Incredula
Manissgod
Ration-Al

Posted by Raspberry Rabbit (# 3080) on :

Rivers in British Columbia

Fraser
Thompson
Skeena for a little girl might be nice.

RR

Posted by SearchingForAbsolutes (# 11966) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
quote:
Originally posted by SearchingForAbsolutes:
quote:

Since all the Spanish-heritage countries are crawling with boys and men named Jesus, who do not all die in their thirties after a degenerate entertainment career, I suspect the guy in the link turned out so strange because his father was a sicko, not because of the name.
Ah. What a legitimate, thoughtful, reasonable theory!

Humour needs a good, stern smack on the face with a blunt instrument every once in a while. Thanks for being there.

quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
Although this trend is to do with a nostalgic attempt at national authenticity, rather than atheism, it seems a good basis for finding analogous pre-Christian Anglo-Saxon-Celtic names

We don't have to look very hard to find pre-Christian English or Germanic names:

Albert, Alfred, Alvin, Arnold, Astrid, Athelstan, Aud, Aylmer, Brandi (yep, an old name really - means "sword" and can be a poetic reference to Wotan/Odhin whose name was not often used explicitly - names to do with spears, wolves, eagles, ravens, helms etc etc, as well as his nickname "Grim"), Dagbert, Drogo, Edwina, Elric (Elf King? We know who he was...), Elvina, Emma, Freya, Grim, Gudrun, Harvard (Might be a from of "Hereward" but might also be from Harbard="Greybeard" and so another kenning for You-Know-Who), Helga/Olga, Hilda (she was a Valkyrie before she was a saint), Oliver, Rolf/Ralph/Ranulph/Randolph/Rudolf/Adolf/Dolf (all originally one name meaning "famous wolf" - a bit totemic, eh?), Rowena, Thora, Winston, Wulf/Wolf - all might have have specific pagan connotations.

Lots of other old pre-Christian names are just names with no obvious religious implications: Alice, Charles (though that's a Frenchified spelling), Edward, Eric, Ethel, Richard, Robert, William (another frogification) and so on!

Am I the only person to think that a proper baby name for an atheist would be something like:

quote:

Ooo diddums whose Mummy's chubby little ickle-wickle athey-wastey then?

quote:
Originally posted by ken:

You're just dysfunctionally jealous because your parents named you Kenneth. Surely one of the crappest names in all history.

[Unless Ken isn't your Real Name, and you chose it as a user name just to be Ironic]

Posted by Petaflop (# 9804) on :

Well I guess a militant atheist could name their child
  Robert'); Drop Table Students;
and then send him to a church school.

(with apologies to xkcd).

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

You're just dysfunctionally jealous because your parents named you Kenneth. Surely one of the crappest names in all history.

A good Saints name, Kenneth. Patron Saint of Cork City (though the Irish can't spell it). Name of the first King of Scotland as well, King Kenneth the First.

Isn't 'Kenneth' as a name reckoned to be of Strathclyde British origin (I know that Kenneth Mac Alpin was a Scot): Cynddylan perhaps??

BTW, I appreciate your guide to Germanic (Norse/OE/Frankish) names. I didn't know that about Ranuplh/Rudolf/Adolf. What was the Germanic form of Oliver? Ulfhere??

[ 02. November 2007, 15:11: Message edited by: Alaric the Goth ]

Oh, ken, you missed 'Wulfstan' off your list, an name I reckon had a heathen origin, and one I mention as it was seriously considered as a middle name for the Elder Goth-bairn!

Posted by aumbry (# 436) on :

I was under the impression that the Anglo-Saxon equivalent of Adolf was Athelwulf. I am sure Ken can confirm or otherwise.

There is so much in a name.

It is difficult to imagine Athelwulf Hitler being determined on world domination.

Aumbry

I have often wondered, do many/any Germans and Austrians still call their sons 'Adolf' since WW2? Or has it rather fallen out of fashion, except perhaps among Neo-Nazis?

I think it is safe to say it is no longer a popular name in Germany.

Aumbry

In a sense I cannot see why the name should suffer - I mean Jack is one of the most popular boys names in Britain despite Jack the Ripper.

Aumbry

Hitler might be said to have been responsible for at least a few more deaths than Jack the Ripper.

True - but what if Jack the Ripper had become German Chancellor and Fuehrer?

Aumbry

Thinking about it there would hardly be a name to choose if you discounted serial killers:

Jack, Fred, Neil, Ian, Rosie, Myra, Vlad, Sweeny........

Aumbry

Posted by The Artisan (# 4277) on :

I worked in a school with a child named Nevaeh (heaven backwards) so how about Tsiehta for a girl (the T could be silent) or Dogon or Snikwad for a boy. Cigol has a nice ring to it (again for a boy I think)and so does Noitulove whereas Reveil Ebnu has more of an ethnic/French feel.

On the Velveeta theme - how about a Marmite or a Marmalade. Fish Paste might be a bit too cruel!

quote:
Originally posted by The Artisan:
I worked in a school with a child named Nevaeh (heaven backwards) so how about Tsiehta for a girl (the T could be silent) or Dogon or Snikwad for a boy.

I've worked with people who might best be described as snikwads.

Ken

With the Irish-British (the Irish were better at it than the rest of us, but all of us did it) ability to create saints, you'd better be careful on which you suggest. A feminist theologian might well choose Hilda as a suitable name for a girl.

I guess that several others on your list have attached Saints.

Jengie

Posted by Campbellite (# 1202) on :

quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
In a sense I cannot see why the name should suffer

How many Americans have named their sons "Benedict" since the Revolution?

Kevin is popular in East Germany so go figure.

As we discussed before I don't imagine atheists would care to name their kin for either god or gods: Thora & Grim being out.

Meditation, Concord, Peace, Reason, Temperance, Compassion are all quality names that atheists could name their children.

the Pookah

quote:
Originally posted by The Artisan:
I worked in a school with a child named Nevaeh (heaven backwards) so how about Tsiehta for a girl (the T could be silent) or Dogon or Snikwad for a boy.

This is how Senga became a first name in Scotland. Tsieh Ta, however, could well mean something rather disconcerting in Chinese. I'm reminded of the story of the English man who translated the syllables of his name into Chinese characters, only to be greeted with bemusement and asked if he was really called Bucket of Heavenly Manure.

Cheers

Leira.

Posted by Foolhearty (# 6196) on :

Lilith is a pretty girl's name, and has the advantage of being extra-canonical. But continuing in the Puritan line, I think "Apocrypha" has a nice kind of Addams-family ring to it.

[ 04. November 2007, 01:22: Message edited by: Foolhearty ]

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
the story of the English man who translated the syllables of his name into Chinese characters, only to be greeted with bemusement and asked if he was really called Bucket of Heavenly Manure.

Ah, they do it for you at the seal-cutting place in Stanley market. My transliteration means 'Beautiful Poetry'. Actually, the syllables don't sound anything like my name. But then an accurate rendition would probably come out as Unbecoming Tractor or something.

Posted by k-mann (# 8490) on :

quote:
quote:

Or; Me! Me! O Me.... I'm coming!

It might put your partner out, though.

© Ship of Fools 2016