Thread: AS: I do not hope to turn again - Lent 2008 Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000669

Posted by Ultracrepidarian (# 9679) on :

quote:
Blessèd sister, holy mother, spirit of the fountain, spirit of the garden,
Suffer us not to mock ourselves with falsehood
Teach us to care and not to care
Teach us to sit still
Even among these rocks,
Our peace in His will
And even among these rocks
Sister, mother
And spirit of the river, spirit of the sea,
Suffer me not to be separated

And let my cry come unto Thee.

TS Eliot - Ash Wednesday

For us users of the Gregorian calendar, today is Shrove Tuesday; above the sweet smell of the pancakes, my mind is turning towards Lent.

I'd like to make the effort to do something and/or renounce something in Lent this year, but I'm not sure what. At the moment, my plan is to get up early each morning and spend some time in prayer, reflection and reading. I'm also going to consciously reduce my consumption - not necessarily of food, but particularly of paper and other things that I waste without thinking.

I've started this thread because I know that I'm not going to manage any of this without support. Here, we can discuss what we're doing (or not doing) and pray for each other that God will give us the strength to hold to our commitments.

So, if you're marking Lent with some change to your life, what is it?
Do you use a set of daily Lenten reflections?
Is there a book/author that you're reading through Lent? I'm considering making Bonhoeffer and/or Merton part of my morning prayer time.

[ 12. June 2008, 14:07: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

Posted by claudine (# 12441) on :

Eliot's Ash Wednesday is a deep poem. I think I might read that through Lent.

I'd like to be more mindful about my Lenten discipline this year. It has become routine for me to give up alcohol and dessert and this is starting to look more like a diet plan than a spiritual discipline. This year, instead, I am going to try to attend mass at least one weekday (possibly Wednesday) in addition to Sunday, and to resume fasting before mass (a practice which I dropped a few years ago when I stopped going to church for a few months, and didn't resume when I returned to church).

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

I'm going to give up posting on the Ship (except Via Media and All Saints), and put that time into other, worthy efforts.

I'm going to try to go to noonday prayer at the Cathedral every day that I'm in the office downtown.

I'm going to try to be more intentional in my prayer life, and in the other things that I do.

Ross

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

I'm going to be a more regular attender at the Maori Language Eucharist at the Cathedral, attend a theological discussion group and recycle my kitchen waste using the bokashi method (I bought the bits and pieces today).

Huia

Posted by Campbellite (# 1202) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
using the bokashi method

Could you say more about this (without rerailing the thread), or perhaps provide a link? It sounds interesting.

Campbellite, I've found the site for the system I'm using. Our local council sells this as an eco-friendly waste reduction method.

Bokashi NZ Ltd

(I hope it works - it did on the UBB practice thread).

Huia - Yay! learned a new skill.

[ 05. February 2008, 07:11: Message edited by: Huia ]

Posted by ErinBear (# 13173) on :

Thank you for the T. S. Eliot quote. He is my favorite poet. So good to see that today.

For some reason, I am having a hard time settling into how I want to observe Lent this year. I want to nurture my spirituality, and I think I will be journaling and reading a book - maybe one by Nouwen, because I have several books by him waiting to be read. I think I also want to look for some new volunteer work, and I'm in the process of investigating that. I'm trying to make healthier choices in various ways - food, exercise, and so forth - and want to make a renewed commitment to it all during Lent. Those are some of my thoughts at the moment.

My caring thoughts and prayers go out to all at this season of Lent - may it be a time of deepening in faith and drawing nearer to God.

Blessings,
ErinBear

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

quote:
Originally posted by claudine:
This year…I am going to try to attend mass at least one weekday (possibly Wednesday) in addition to Sunday, and to resume fasting before mass…

I don't know all of my schedule for this week now that the Super Bowl is over (I have been a subcontractor to the NFL for the last two weeks) but I plan to go to 6.15 AM mass tomorrow and see if I can do that every week on Wednesday or Thursday. Stage work rarely starts before 8 and if I teach I don't have to leave the house until 7.30.

I shall give up beer and frivolous internet sites other than the Ship for Lent. I will make fresh fruit a part of dinner instead of dessert. I may start praying the rosary daily again as I did in the year 2000 when I became RC (along with my sister). I also vow to join the YMCA and swim at least twice a week, i.e. giving up not exercising. Perhaps I can give up elevators too, at least when stairs are readily accessible. My doctor said that she wants me to lose 3 stone! I haven't been below 14 stone in the last 20 years that I can remember…

Posted by AdamPater (# 4431) on :

Lentisabsurdabstinenceisridiculousdon'tyouknowyou'reallrejecting the graceofTheLordoursaviourbecauseyouaretrustinginworks
notgraceforsalvationit'sjustthesameasifyouwereflogging
yourselvesandnotjusteachotherbeforebedtimedon'tyouknow
thatJesussavedyoubyfaithandIknowthatandyoudon't

but I have this great video for sale. PM me for details.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have posted that. I repent in dust and ashes. Tomorrow.

Posted by Izzybee (# 10931) on :

Being new to actually doing something for lent, rather than saying I'm going to give up chocolate and then forgetting, I'm going to use the ship's ideas (on the main page) for some things I can do. I like the idea of picking a fresh thing to do every day - there really isn't anything I could "give up" or "improve on" for lent without making it like a diet program or an exercise regimen, and I don't want it to be that - I want some reflection time.

I'm also aware that some of the things listed will challenge me to act outside of my normal comfort zones - my cubicle at work and my living room at home. Generally I'm fine at thinking beyond those rooms, but not very good at venturing beyond them. I look forward to trying.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

On the now closed Fasting thread, Tiffer wrote:

------------------------------------------------
I seem caught between a rock and a hard place. I am in a community of sorts (theological college) for the first time and probably the last time during the whole of Lent (because Easter is early this year). As such I thought it would be a good oppurtunity to really take Lent seriously and go for it proper like. I don't just mean giving one or two things up, which can be very helpful and difficult of course, I rather mean abstaining from meat alcohol and dairy products, and often only eating one meal in the day, with refreshment Sundays (or not), and hospitality exceptions, such as the rule of Benedict contains.

To my surprise I can't really find anyone else who wants to do this also, in neither Anglican theological college in Cambridge. This is probably because I don't want to ask around too much for fear that I will look like I am boasting or judging, when I just feel I need to do this and would desperately like some support from others insane enough to do it also.

Then I thought of this old haunt - and thought that the number of people here who know me IRL is small (and they usually know there is not much to boast about!) and yet I could maybe find other people doing a similar thing. I would really appreciate anyone replying to this or sending me a PM, as I am actually quite worried about what tomorrow will bring, as I do drink and eat rather more and pray rather less than I should. Thanks for reading my self-indulgent post...

Jimmy B responded
Mm. Yes, I am thinking of giving up meat for Lent as an exercise in self-discipline and living simply. (Excepting Sundays and if I get invited out)

Dunno dude, my motivation is not real high I have to confess, but I deffo would like to keep Ash Wed and Good Fri. In principle I think it is a good thing not to be at the mercy of one's passions (to use quaint language); appetite for food - of a quantity and quality far surpassing what is required for life - being one of them.

Good luck, ay.

And codepoet said:
I many years now I have tried to do a daylight fast during Lent, so this means getting up early for breakfast (or missing it) and then not having anything except water until the evening. However I am pretty unsatisfied with this; there are several reasons:
It is really hard, and I normally end up cheating at some point, or putting sugar in my water to stop me falling asleep at work etc etc.
It makes me hugely grumpy, and those around me inevitably suffer.
I often end up just having 2 suppers which does not seem in keeping with the spirit of a fast.
It can be hard to do this without other people noticing, and then you get into Matt6:16-18 territory.
So I am wondering if I can do it differently this year. I have considered giving up meat. I dunno - I would welcome suggestions too.

BTW I am surprised that it is hard to find people fasting in an anglican theological college, especially in Cambridge, especially at Westcott.

Posted by Tiffer (# 3073) on :

Thanks for the replies, and to Spike for showing me this thread. Well I can only surmise about Westcott I am afraid, as I haven't had the chance to bring up the subject with any of my friends there - if there are any Westcotians reading this do let me know - but I know they continue to have their bar open and I have been to meetings there last lent in which champagne flowed (you know who you are!) so my guess is they aren't of one mind. Although they do do away with cooked breakfast on Tuesdays as far as I know.

It slightly annoys me that my college observes exam period (a number of weeks with no parties or planned gatherings in college and quiet in college) but doesn't observe lent in the same way. Perhaps I should have gone to Mirfield...

Posted by My Duck (# 11924) on :

I am trying to give up being uncharitable.....

(Yes I know, I know, I really should have done it long before now, but [Disappointed]

Posted by Pearl B4 Swine (# 11451) on :

Local high schools are having athletic events on Wednesday evening (Ash Wed.), which will take three singers out of my already-small choir. Nothing they can do about it - they are in the play-offs, for county championship.

This is only the second Ash Wednesday we will have had Imposition of Ashes. The United Church of Christ has had this service in their Book of Services for years, but not many use it. The church will not be crowded.

PB4S

Posted by Carys (# 78) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tiffer:
Thanks for the replies, and to Spike for showing me this thread. Well I can only surmise about Westcott I am afraid, as I haven't had the chance to bring up the subject with any of my friends there - if there are any Westcotians reading this do let me know - but I know they continue to have their bar open and I have been to meetings there last lent in which champagne flowed (you know who you are!) so my guess is they aren't of one mind. Although they do do away with cooked breakfast on Tuesdays as far as I know.

Certainly, there will be people at a certain church known to us who fast, though the people whose fasts I knew about tend to have left Cambridge these days. But it does tend be something one doesn't nose around that much to avoid looking too pious. I'm still not quite sure what to do especially given my health of late. I was contemplating not having breakfast, but after this morning when I felt very peculiar cycling to work and a mouthful of food helped I'm not sure about that.

Actually the weirdest thing I've got is starting Lent with a cooked breakfast because tomorrow is a first Wednesday and so a Prayer Breakfast and not going because it's Ash Wednesday seemes too peculiar but it's not really possible to avoid eating there especially as the majority of people are evangelicals/non-anglicans so I suspect Lent doesn't feature that highly in their approach. Certainly in December we sang a Christmas carol in the first week of Advent which I found hard.

Carys

Posted by Laura (# 10) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
My doctor said that she wants me to lose 3 stone! I haven't been below 14 stone in the last 20 years that I can remember…

Sir K:

You should switch to an American doctor. Or if you have an American doctor who is using "stone" as a form of measurement, let me know, and I'll send around the Pretension Police to stop him dropping Britishisms all the damned time.

Posted by marmot (# 479) on :

My plans are to eat less and pray more.

Posted by rosamundi (# 2495) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
I was contemplating not having breakfast, but after this morning when I felt very peculiar cycling to work and a mouthful of food helped I'm not sure about that.

Exercise on an empty stomach (which is essentially what you did), is not good for you. You could have had a nasty accident. Fasting is fine, but risking life and limb is not.

Eat breakfast, especially if you're going to be doing physical exercise.

Also, if fasting makes you evil-tempered, for the love of the sweet Baby Jesus, eat something. Your family and colleagues shouldn't be suffering for your Lenten discipline.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
for the love of the sweet Baby Jesus, eat something. Your family and colleagues shouldn't be suffering for your Lenten discipline.

Does that apply to alcohol withdrawal, too? (God knows, I wouldn't inflict coffee withdrawal on my family ...)

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
I was contemplating not having breakfast, but after this morning when I felt very peculiar cycling to work and a mouthful of food helped I'm not sure about that.

Exercise on an empty stomach (which is essentially what you did), is not good for you. You could have had a nasty accident. Fasting is fine, but risking life and limb is not.

Eat breakfast, especially if you're going to be doing physical exercise.

As an undergrad I was careful that the day I fasted was a Thursday which was the one day I didn't do swimming or waterpolo as I didn't think that would be a good combination. The difficult thing is I'm going to try and be vegan but I can't work out what I can have for breakfast.

I also used to be able to cycle a mile or so without breakfast as I cycled to morning prayer and ate after that.

quote:

Also, if fasting makes you evil-tempered, for the love of the sweet Baby Jesus, eat something. Your family and colleagues shouldn't be suffering for your Lenten discipline.

That's an interesting one -- to me, part of fasting is about realising the impact of physical things (eg hunger) on our mental state, so being aware that I tend to be more irritable when hungry, fasting can be about controlling that irritability. Though having said that, I don't get irritable in the same way when I'm fasting as when I'm just hungry.

Carys

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Carys,

Muesli mixed with fruit juice, preferably apple, and grated apple is honestly edible, and vegan.

Also peanut butter and banana sandwiches could be vegan and solidly filling for breakfast - particularly nice with toast, with the peanut butter melting into the warm bread. [Two face]

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:
Lentisabsurdabstinenceisridiculousdon'tyouknowyou'reallrejecting the graceofTheLordoursaviourbecauseyouaretrustinginworks
notgraceforsalvationit'sjustthesameasifyouwereflogging
yourselvesandnotjusteachotherbeforebedtimedon'tyouknow
thatJesussavedyoubyfaithandIknowthatandyoudon't

but I have this great video for sale. PM me for details.

Yeah. I'm the spokesmodel on the video. Amen.

*heh*

What do you do when it happens that you are already in a mode of living that other people consider hyper-sacrificial and almost martyr-like? I guess a basic old-fashioned fast is all I have left... I'm already rising at 4:30 a.m. 5 days a week and praying and doing worship gatherings and Bible study gatherings about 4 hours a week.

I'm still trying to come up with something I can actually do, in addition to what I already do, that will offer me a devotional/spiritual benefit.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

re:vegan breakfast: some soymilks are excellent on vegan breakfast cereals. I can't do the juice or water on cereal, it's just too ewww...

I always have oats with flax and maple syrup, sometimesalso a sliced upapple and a handfull of walnuts for staying power.

Vegan toast/bagels etc with peanut butter is also excellent.

Posted by Max. (# 5846) on :

My Household has the "Fucking and "Fucking" Box"

I'm giving up swearing, My Household is giving up women!
If we break our vows, we have to put money in the box!"

It's gonna be quite hard!

Max

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
What do you do when it happens that you are already in a mode of living that other people consider hyper-sacrificial and almost martyr-like? I guess a basic old-fashioned fast is all I have left... I'm already rising at 4:30 a.m. 5 days a week and praying and doing worship gatherings and Bible study gatherings about 4 hours a week.

Discipline is as discipline does. Perhaps you could try an enforced sleep-in, and abstinence from corporate worship?

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Pick some bad spiritual habit and plan, with the grace of God, to try abstaining from it. I'm thinking about abstaining from improper guilt, but don't know if it's doable....

Posted by infinite_monkey (# 11333) on :

My intention for this Lent is to:
--Not walk past or lie to anyone begging on the street (I hate saying "no", but I get overwhelmed by all the need I see around me in the urban Bay Area. I've slipped into the comforting but ultimately dishonest habit of "Sorry, I'm not carrying any money right now", and I think I should move past it.)

--Read a short inspirational something every night before bed. I have a book of Frederick Buechner's sermons to start off with.

Hope I don't fizzle out like last year...

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Pick some bad spiritual habit and plan, with the grace of God, to try abstaining from it. I'm thinking about abstaining from improper guilt, but don't know if it's doable....

Most of my guilt is entirely appropriate.
[Waterworks]

Infinite_monkey, even Jesus ran away to the hills for some relief from the massive neediness around him. Even He needed recharging. Don't feel bad that you're not always "up" and ready to give give give.

Would it be hard to take the money you feel led to put into charity, divide it up, slip each portion into a sealed envelope, and give until it runs out ? After that, "I have no money to give" would not be a lie -- you would have set aside what your good stewardship of your God-given resources allowed, and after that is gone you have no more to give.

Posted by Codepoet (# 5964) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
... My Household is giving up women!
It's gonna be quite hard!

Max

<Snigger/>

I am giving up the ship for Lent, so i will see y'all at Easter.

Posted by angelica37 (# 8478) on :

I'm giving up alcohol and snacks
and going to finish reading Benedict XVI's book 'Jesus of Nazareth' that I started in Advent and only got halfway through [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by To The Pain (# 12235) on :

I was wondering about observing Lent last night and toying with a bunch of ideas that just didn't seem satisfying.

Then this morning my sister came home from her lecture (I know, I shouldn't still have been at home, but that's beside the point) and we ended up playing music for about an hour. I'm pretty sure my flute's numb with the shock of seeing daylight! So we have taken up making music daily for lent.

I'm sure it would upset Carys that what we mostly played was Christmas carols but beggars can't be choosers and those were the only things we had scored for both of us. O Little Town of Bethlehem sounded quite good with both of us playing harmony lines, even if I do say so myself!

TTP

Posted by Celtic Knotweed (# 13008) on :

I don't know if this counts as giving up or taking up, but I'm trying to stop putting off doing things (posted on the Styx thread, then realised this one existed [Roll Eyes] ). I have a bad habit of leaving things till the last minute where possible, or putting off doing them because I'd sooner be doing something more fun. With any luck, a month and a bit of deliberately aiming not to do that will chip some of that habit away...

Posted by Autenrieth Road (# 10509) on :

To The Pain, flute sounds beautiful! What does your sister play?

Janine, I don't agree with the "I have no money to give" after the envelopes have run out. The obvious implication is going to be "I have no money on me" which isn't true (unless you really are carrying no other money, in which case the envelope ruse is not necessary). Better to simply say, "No."

Posted by Jimmy B (# 220) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Max.:
My Household has the "Fucking and "Fucking" Box"

I'm giving up swearing, My Household is giving up women!
If we break our vows, we have to put money in the box!

Are ppl honest enough with themselves to put the cash in when they break 'em lol? Or, will it be a case of who can put in the most (thus demonstrating how much sex they had) [Big Grin]

How is the total going, Max?

I'd be the sort to put in an advance payment lol ("Yer, that's for half a dozen 'Fuck that's and a night of unbridled passion")

Posted by infinite_monkey (# 11333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:

Infinite_monkey, even Jesus ran away to the hills for some relief from the massive neediness around him. Even He needed recharging. Don't feel bad that you're not always "up" and ready to give give give.

Would it be hard to take the money you feel led to put into charity, divide it up, slip each portion into a sealed envelope, and give until it runs out ? After that, "I have no money to give" would not be a lie -- you would have set aside what your good stewardship of your God-given resources allowed, and after that is gone you have no more to give.

Thanks for that, Janine--it's a good suggestion. Tragically, it reaches me after I'm made the following convoluted plan:

--When buying something, always get change rather than tendering exact amounts (if something costs $4.23, I'm paying with a fiver instead of a fiver and a quarter...)

--Carry coin purse o' change on person at all times.

--Everyone gets a handful.

Fundamentally, the goal is to not walk past people anymore. I'm committing myself to the time and effort it takes to look someone in the eye, smile, and give them something, even though that something isn't much. It's more about making contact than it is about actually giving vast sums of money.

Posted by Tiffer (# 3073) on :

Apparently my college has no vegans. Should I make a fuss and make them do a vegan supper for me, ordo I just go vegy and suffer the batter on the quorn toad in the hole - or leave it? Making a fuss about food is just so against my nature. We have gluten free people here (I think just one ordinand and his kids). Hmmm.

Posted by Arrietty (# 45) on :

I don't think it would be making a fuss to have a quiet word with the catering manager and asking if it's possible for you to have vegan meals.

I'm sure it's part of her/his job to accomodate dietary requirements but they're not going to provide something unless they know someone wants it because if it's anything like my college they have a budget of about two and half pence per person per meal.

quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:
I don't think it would be making a fuss to have a quiet word with the catering manager and asking if it's possible for you to have vegan meals.

I'm sure it's part of her/his job to accomodate dietary requirements but they're not going to provide something unless they know someone wants it because if it's anything like my college they have a budget of about two and half pence per person per meal.

Certainly at my Cambridge college (admittedly larger than a theological college), one could order Veggie, Vegan, nut free & gluten free when booking formal halls (at the point of booking) and there were notes about speaking to the catering manager about dietary matters in general.

Vegan's not that difficult to achieve rather than veggie as long as one thinks about it. At least that's what I'm hoping! At lunchtime, I went for the salad bar, but avoided the potato salad and coleslaw because of the mayonnaise, and will also avoid the noodles (nice though they are) if they appear because they'll probably be made with egg, but I'm presuming the pasta isn't eggy.

Carys

Posted by Doulos (# 12388) on :

My Lenten discipline is going to be thus: I have written a list of 40 people I know, and the idea is each day during Lent I will do something extra special for them, and spend some time praying for them. So today I took my Mum out for lunch; it's a friend's birthday at the weekend so I'll bake her a gorgeous cake etc etc - for each person I'll find something I can do to bless them. The idea is to make me intentionally other-centred and slightly less self-centred, and help me pay for others in bite-size chunks (ifswim!) . Hopefully it'll become habit-forming.

That's a wonderful idea, Doulos.

Please advise on how it goes!

Ross

Posted by Liverpool fan (# 11424) on :

I got hold of Brother Lawrence's 'practicing the presence of God' on t'internet and will read through that.

Posted by Landlubber (# 11055) on :

I am going to commit more. So I'm not giving up the Ship, rather I will log in each time I visit instead of lurking, and instead of skimming too many threads, I will read some more closely and post (assuming I have anything sensible to say) instead of muttering to myself. Likewise, in Real Life I will join one of the lunchtime groups or services I have discovered near work.

Posted by duchess (# 2764) on :

Gave up caffeine. It was really rough but getting better. I mean to trust God on this...I have meant to try out not caffeine for a couple months and took the plunge on Ash Wed.

Today was the first day that I fasted before mass. I missed the coffee the most. Oh boy, did I miss the coffee! This could be a long Lent indeed.

quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
The church will not be crowded.

PB4S

The cathedral was crowded Wednesday night when I went to the last English-speaking Mass. I had to work at 7AM so I could not go to 6.15 AM

Have successfully joined the YMCA, where I plan to work out and/or go swimming. Beer has been give up; only beer in the fridge is Zeke's Alaskan microbrew. Shan't be using it in cooking!

Posted by J Whitgift (# 1981) on :

I'm giving up Alcohol for Lent and want set a rule for drinking far less alcohol over all, post-Lent. (I'm also giving up chocolate and buying books - but as my friend Canon B said to me on the latter, 'how can one give up something which is right!?!')

I'm taking up saying the daily office (Morning Prayer and Evensong from the SSF prayerbook + the Angelus at midday). I've been saying Morning Prayer for a while now, but want to set down a more rigorous rule for myself.

Posted by J Whitgift (# 1981) on :

PS. Hope to go Veggie for Passiontide + cut down on caffeine/fizzy pop during the same period.

I have already cut out alcohol and chocolate for Lent and intend to stop eating meat and back to mostly vegetarian (fish, milk and dairy), also cutting down my bread consumption. I didn't start at the beginning of Lent because I hadn't finished the nice stuff I'd bought from the monthly Farmer's Market. I would like to be vegan for Holy Week - that's a carbon footprint thing as much as diet, but I am working with challenging kids and keeping calm is higher priority.

My first organic veggie box arrived on the Monday before Lent and it looks as if the local organic farm has sorted out its supply system again.

Posted by uncletoby (# 13067) on :

I've given up drinking for Lent, not for the first time. The last time I did it my alcohol consumption never returned to pre-Lent levels, and I am hoping that I can manage the same thing again this time.

I'm also going to try to get to Evensong + Benediction every Sunday, and Stations of the Cross on Fridays.

At home I'm generally trying to pray more and better (i.e. when I'm properly awake), read the Bible more and specifically to prepare the readings for Sunday Mass each Saturday evening. I am also hoping that I can make these habits stick once Lent is over.

So far I'm keeping my resolve to stay off all the boards except this one and Via Media. Not bad, for an addict.

Having the flu means I'm also off everything else I might like to indulge in. [Roll Eyes]

More testing on that particular front anon, no doubt.

Ross

Posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde (# 54) on :

quote:
My Lenten discipline is going to be thus: I have written a list of 40 people I know, and the idea is each day during Lent I will do something extra special for them, and spend some time praying for them.
Doulos, you win my "Best Lenten Idea" contest. I think this is such a worthy endeavor.

I'm de-cluttering the house (so feng-shui of me!) [Snigger] JB is joining me in this effort with some of his clothing. The local thrift shops are going to be filled with fabric, patterns, clothing. I plan to purge a lot. My idea is - if I haven't used it, or worn it, or known I had it in 2 years, it is OUT THE DOOR!

And, then the LORD had HIS own plan for me for Lent.
Teaching Sunday School to Women at our church!
It seems that our regular teacher took a fall in her home and will be out indefinitely. Another lady in our class has family responsibilities, and the other ladies are reluctant....so who did the LORD nudge into service?
Yes, it was me. <sigh> [Roll Eyes] Lord, help the ladies! [Eek!]

Posted by Miss Thing (# 12423) on :

Glad I found this thread, as I'm having an absolute disaster with my Lenten observance. Promised self and the almighty that i'd definitely give up smoking, but a combination of my utter lack of willpower, the fact that although it makes me feel disgusting, i actually really enjoy it and a shocker of a week, have meant that marlboro man can definitely plan to buy a new cowboy hat by maundy thursday. grrr. really hope that everyone else is having more success...

Posted by PeteCanada (# 10422) on :

It is the trying that is important; keep trying!

[Votive]

I live with post traumatic stress disorder following rape, which limits my life to a certain extent and Lent is always a particularly difficult time as the anniversary day comes around then.

This year I though I might make a particular effort to do something that challenged my limitations, but couldn't think of how to do it. Last weekend I was at a Seminar about the 'other' gospels and at lunch-time discovered the speaker was organising a mini-bus trip through to the West Coast. The idea is to take 4 days, (it can be driven in 3 hours) with heaps of stopping off points and time for reflection, walking in the bush and staying 3 nights in backpacker accomodation.

I said that walking in the bush was one of the things I missed about living here, and it turned out that there was one space left. It was within my budget so I took it.

I know this won't sound like much to some people, but it pushes my self-protective boundaries. To be honest I'm still a bit worried about how I will cope, especially at night, but I am going to give it my best shot.

I think this is about living life in all it's fullness and I am hoping for a sense of resurrection from it.

That said I'd appreciate prayers for and during next week.

Huia

Huia, that sounds like a great opportunity for you. Blessings on your Lenten spiritual journey.

That's wonderful, Huia. I hope it goes well!

Ross

[Votive] Huia. It sounds like it will be a wonderful experience. Enjoy your bushwalking.

My original Lenten intention of getting up early in the morning for prayer has been a bit swamped by the fact that it's currently the end of summer semester and I have a pile of marking etc. to do. However, I've managed to do most of the reading I set for myself.

I'm just going to keep starting Lent again, every day until I get it right.

Posted by chasee#1 (# 10909) on :

seeing as I'm looking into going into teaching eventually, and I've sent in applications for various day care jobs, i've decided also to give up swearing. I have a handy little rubber band on my wrist to snap as a reminder for everytime I cuss. My wrist is quite red... i'm afraid of a blood clot. But I actually think I'm learning. I've only snapped the rubber band about 7 or so times today, instead of the 40 something the other day...
Improvement? I think so...

Posted by babybear (# 34) on :

I am going to jump Ship for the rest of Lent. It isn't really part of a Lenten discipline, but more an disciple in getting all the work done for my preaching course.

Goodbye for now.

Posted by Landlubber (# 11055) on :

Huia

Prayers promised, now and next week.

Landlubber

Posted by Joan_of_Quark (# 9887) on :

I'm finding it a little hard but worthwhile at the moment - the difficulty is mainly due to tiredness, but once I push through that I am getting the beginnings of an idea how these practices might change me.

PS Huia, you don't know me but I've been in a possibly similar situation PTSD-wise, so [Votive]

Posted by Evangeline (# 7002) on :

[Votive] Huia for enjoying the trip and all the opportunities.

Posted by bush baptist (# 12306) on :

[Votive] Huia, I'll be praying now and through the trip.

Posted by tomb (# 174) on :

On Ash Wednesday, the homily was about "Telling the Truth." Seemingly, letting the Light of Christ shine upon us is an uncomfortable activity.

It pierced me to the heart (and scared the s*@t out of me). Over the years, I've gotten rather good at lying to myself.

This Lent, I'm trying not to run away from all the indications of ugliness in my life. I'm trying to own up to the lies I tell myself and those around me. At this point in the journey, I'm doing my best to avoid feeling shattered about how dishonest I've become, and how easy it has been to get to that place. How I have cooperated with sin and impeded God.

I'm trying to repent, and struggling with how unpleasant truth and honesty really are.

My prayer has become disturbingly semaphoric. Oh.God. God. Oh. God. OhGodOGODOGODOGODOGODOGOD. Mercy.

I really don't like Lent. I reallyreallyreallyreallyreallyreally don't like Lent.

Thank God for Lent.

t

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

This may sound incredibly stupid, but not for me. I'm giving up angsting about Marvel Comics for Lent. Er, yes, really. The link explains it all. And debating about it, though I'll state my thoughts and concerns simply but without long arguments. It's been sucking up a lot of time and thought.

On an interesting note, I posted about that elsewhere on another comics site and wound up in a really long discussion on theology, prayer, and such with another poster (I tried to entice him to the Ship but he didn't want to come; he thinks he would not be able to follow the 10 C's re crusading, as he's rather zealous about his own take on such things, as I eventually learned myself) and I realized I really needed to come post more on the Ship than I have been...

David

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

Er... and also working on those new opportunities for negativity I've discovered. It's like playing Whack-a-Mole , I swear...

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

Well, this is going to seem strange to many; but I have two things I am working on during Lent. One is the fact that because food is basically just fuel to me, I have never had problems fasting from it or eating on the run from one activity to the next. So my discipline is not to concentrate on getting things done, but to sit down and eat and fellowship with people. Lord knows I have enough friends and parishioners I've been meaning to catch up with. So the challenge is to concentrate on community rather than service to the community.

The second happened quite by accident. My spouse (referred to here as The Pole or TP) has been getting up promptly each morning when the alarm goes, and then bringing me in a pot of tea and disappearing for a little while. When I asked what he was doing, he said his discipline was to go through the morning and evening prayer book services each day of Lent. So we are now doing this together, and it is lovely. A wonderful way to start each day, and a wonderful way to end it. Why is this unusual? Well, TP is a Catholic, but has chosen to use my Anglican Prayer Book as his resource. Deo Gratia. [Smile]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

[Votive] from me too for this journey, Huia.

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

[Votive] Another prayer ascending, Huia, for your trip.

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
My prayer has become disturbingly semaphoric. Oh.God. God. Oh. God. OhGodOGODOGODOGODOGODOGOD. Mercy.

That's been my default for quite some years now. Fasten your seatbelt.

Posted by Jenn R (# 5239) on :

I'm trying to reduce my dependence on sugar and caffine to get through the day. No chocolate, biscuits, cake, sweets etc. I have cut down on the number of cups of tea I have in the day, and cut down the sugar in them. I am hoping to be completely off caffine by easter. Redbush tea is pretty good!

I am also trying to make my prayer time more regular and to retry "activity management" for my health. It sounds like a lot, but it isn't feeling too bad at the moment. All of these things (except the prayer time) have been recommended because of my health, so this is my attempt at treating my body well which I have always been pretty bad at.

Posted by pimple (# 10635) on :

I've often tried giving up alcohol for Lent. I've never succeeded. But I've never tried twice in the same Lent. I could give it another go. Three times even, maybe - but that's already anticipating a second failure. No. From Monday, I'm giving up alcohol - again - for the rest of Lent. I'll let y'all know how I get on. How we get on, that is.

[ 16. February 2008, 22:40: Message edited by: pimple ]

My second Sunday morning without coffee was not as bad as the first. I did dash across the road as soon as I was released from the sacristy, to get an espresso rather than cheap church coffee, but I didn't have such a painful caffeine-withdrawal headache, and I don't think I spent as much time thinking about the coffee I was missing. Perhaps by the end of Lent I'll approach the fast with joy!

Posted by James the Confident (# 9678) on :

I thought about giving something up for Lent but have decided not to. I am trying to be more like Jesus--this takes more time than just Lent. This is not a dig at people's Lenten sacrifices, it is rather a considered response to God's calling.

Having had a poor week prayer-wise, I'm going to try to start again tomorrow with my getting up early.

Lord, help me and the others here to make the time (now and always) to go into the wilderness and rediscover that you were here with us all along. [Votive]

Posted by Joan_of_Quark (# 9887) on :

It's amazing how bad habits and decisions which weren't a problem before Lent are coming back and having a go at me now. The moment I have cleared a space from some other things I'm not doing any more, back come the other "moles" popping out of their holes as ChastMastr said above.

And I thought I had picked do-able targets - last year I decided something along the lines of the old "if you can't say anything nice..." adage halfway through Lent, and this was so not my normal MO I had a really hard time with it.

That's exactly it. Why is it that being more aware of yourself makes you do worse things rather than better things?

I remembered to spend some time in prayer this morning, but it felt more like a chore than true worship. [Frown] As the old adage goes, fake it 'til you make it. [Votive]

Posted by Flounder (# 3859) on :

I have always asked myself the same question. It seems that I am always at my very worst during Lent, no matter how much I try to clean up my act.

quote:
Originally posted by Ultracrepidarian:
That's exactly it. Why is it that being more aware of yourself makes you do worse things rather than better things?

Posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd) (# 12163) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Flounder:
I have always asked myself the same question. It seems that I am always at my very worst during Lent, no matter how much I try to clean up my act.

quote:
Originally posted by Ultracrepidarian:

I think James may be onto something. [Cool]

When one is young (Yes, I do remember Ultra C! [Snigger] ) I think it is easy to be too hard on oneself.

There are things one can 'give up' (girlie mags, booze et sim spring immediately to mind). Anything that degrades our human state and distracts from the main game.

Lent is preparation for Easter. The Ultimate Christian Paradox. Joy in seeming Sorrow.

I think a lot of the time we need to relax, let go, make what space and time we can, let go and let God.

It is really a time of focussing inward. Not just being dragged away by attractive girls, loud music, meaningless discussion and other such distractions.

Self-flagellation, whether mental or physical, is not called for.

We need to learn to love ourselves as God does. To let go of our delusions of how good or bad we are.

Let go and let God. [Smile]

Thanks, Sir P. Thant's given me something to think about.

We set off in a couple of hours time and I'm a bit wound up. The whole 'new beginnings' thing seems a bit much right now, I want to go back to bed. Still I know there are people praying for me (thanks) and that makes it easier.

Huia

I've lost a stone since Ash Wednesday. This could not, under any circumstances, be regarded as remotely healthy. I need to look at my Lenten fasting.

Posted by Mamacita (# 3659) on :

rosamundi, there's a thread in Heaven about Lent recipes which has evolved into a discussion about healthy fasting; perhaps that would be a resource for you. Do take care of yourself.

And I broke down and had two glasses of wine last night. Feeling terribly ashamed today.

Posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd) (# 12163) on :

Huia, have a really good and safe trip. [Smile]

Sounds like this could be a significant time for you.

God grant it all goes well.

May you feel safe and be protected. Always. [Votive]

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
You should switch to an American doctor...

I just like the arithmetic. What she wants me to do is go from 211 to 175 pounds! It would probably lower my cholesterol too if I cut back on a lot of foods I like and actually stick to an exercise program. It's unlikely to be do-able in less than a year.

[Votive] Huia for a time of renewal and enjoyment.

quote:
I need to look at my Lenten fasting.

Actually, I think I need to buy new scales. I put half the weight lost back on in 24 hours, which seems unlikely (I weighed Xlb on Monday morning and weighed 7lb more than that on Tuesday).

[ 19. February 2008, 17:53: Message edited by: rosamundi ]

I'm a bit tired to post more fully at the moment, but my time in the bush was a real renewal and the people were amazing.

Huia

I'm so glad to hear that Huia [Yipee]

Posted by Eleanor Jane (# 13102) on :

"As the deer pants for the water, so my soul longs after you..." only problem is, for the whole of Lent I am insanely busy at work with very stressful and time consuming things. I have spent so many nights recently getting home from work around 10ish then spending hours trying to wind down and stop thinking about work.

In order to deal with this overload I am trying:
prayer
Bible and commentary reading
Herbal tea
Herbal sleeping tablets
diarying (if that's a word)
Talking extensively to my husband and mother
A weekend away next week

I should exercise and eat better but stress and tiredness lead to pizza and the couch in my world.

I wish I could find a way of being calm and focussed on God and especially not worrying about things and trying to take on responsibility for more than I can manage. (Even if other people are happy to try and give me that responsibility!)

EJ

EJ Come down to the West Coast [Biased] . Or failing that Tiritiri Matangi.

Seriously though I hope you do get to spend some time just be-ing, rather than the frenetic doing.

Something weird happened to the time while we were away. Various people, who are usually very busy, commented that they felt they had been aways for a couple of weeks rather than just days. I felt it too, almost as though time expanded. We took double the time on some tracks, not because they were difficult, but because we stopped to look at the vegetation, or a bush bird gave us an aerobatic display followed by a concert.

Five out of the 8 (not me) are experienced bush walkers and were very good at offering assistance, but not overbearingly so, in fact I have seldom felt comfortable with a group of people.

The bush is technically rainforest and I was totally blown away by the density of plant growth. The phrase about life "in all it's fullness" kept echoing in my mind as did the bits of Genesis where God looked on Creation and said it was good.

I'm not explaining this as clearly as I'd like to, and I need to think it through more. Actually the whole time away left me with some important, possibly life-changing issues to consider, which I have tucked away in my mind until the end of the month when my cousin's house will have passed into other hands and I will again have some time and space to reflect.

The other thing I want to say is that at the most difficult time (during the second day) when I was feeling wound up about something, I remembered that there were Shipmates praying for me which helped tremendously.

Thank-you,

Huia

quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
<snip>

I think the word you are looking for is "journaling".

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
EJ Come down to the West Coast [Biased] . Or failing that Tiritiri Matangi.

Ooh, I'd love that! I shall have to settle for boring old Mangawai (1 1/2 hrs north of Auck) as it's quick to get to and we have a parent's bach to stay in. At least it'll be away- fresh air, sea birds, walking etc...

I have actually been doing a little better since my small rant. It's nice to read about what other people are doing and feel a sense of world-wide community.

EJ

quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
<snip>

I think the word you are looking for is "journaling".
Oh thank you! Actually as an ex-English teacher I've always been keen on neologisms and also very sloppy about spelling, grammar, punctuation and "good" literature. I like the thought of English being fluid, evolving and open to all to use, enjoy and interpret.

Anyway, all that's hardly Lenten so do feel free to ignore... [Smile]

EJ

Having decided to give up chocolate for Lent to break a nasty habit of raiding the Traidcraft boxes which live under my bed and finding that the hardest habit to break, I got really pushed this morning: we did a maths challenge with the kids at w*rk frequency plotting of the different flavours in their own packet of Revels Several of them refused to eat any, so I, also trying not to eat any, was cutting them in half to check the fillings so they could tally the results and passing the mangled remains to the co-w*rkers who were quite happy eating chocolate. It's a very subtle colour difference between the coffee and orange filling but they cut in half easier than the caramel did!

[extra morning]

[ 25. February 2008, 20:40: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

Posted by chive (# 208) on :

Having set myself some reading for Lent, and some other stuff that's not entirely relevant, I find myself in the somewhat difficult decision of having a significant downsurge in depression. This has made it almost impossible to concentrate enough to read anything and take it in. I'm trying very hard not to see this as me 'failing Lent' or being sinful which are both things that when I'm low I'm fairly liable to do. I also have to go to confession which will be a bit of a nightmare and a long drawn out process because at the moment I believe I'm the epitome of all evil. Perspective loss is fun. [Roll Eyes]

Has anyone got any ideas on how I could claw back some of my Lenten observance so I can keep the concept going but without it turning into the slough of despond at my inabilities?

chive,

Bearing in mind that: I don't know what your experience of depression is like; and I am not currently depressed; and if I were, I probably wouldn't follow my own advice...

I would suggest trying to allow yourself to put your Lenten discipline on hold for a while. It sounds as if you're getting caught in a trap where whatever you do or don't do, you will find a reason for beating yourself up. That is not going to bring you closer to God.

I often find that I need to learn to do less rather than more, and I think some of the other posts in this thread echo that. Think of Jesus going into the desert, not preaching, or reading, or taking study groups, but just being alone and quiet. Focus not on doing, but on being.

Posted by harmony hope (# 4070) on :

Huia - sorry, I didn't get a chance to pray for you before you went away (coz I've only just discovered this thread) but you were so brave to go and trust... I do hope you're having time to reflect now, praying for this. [Votive]

Chive - I don't know if this will help but years ago I went through a very bad time when any thought of 'doing' things in life was too much. Now I try to look at that period as being my own time in the Wilderness and although I don't remember it, I now believe very deeply that Jesus was walking with me in my big hour of need... and that he eventually led me (without me knowing) out of that time too. [Votive]

Looking back, it was a strangely very special time. (I am reminded of the footsteps in the sand poem - don't know if anyone has it to hand?)

To everyone else who has posted here, may your Lenten journey be one of truth and healing [Votive]

Harmony Hope

Posted by Autenrieth Road (# 10509) on :

Footsteps in the sand.

Posted by harmony hope (# 4070) on :

Thank you Auntenreith Road, I had forgotten just how beautiful that poem is.

Harmony Hope

I like this version better. [Two face]

quote:
Originally posted by chive:

Has anyone got any ideas on how I could claw back some of my Lenten observance so I can keep the concept going but without it turning into the slough of despond at my inabilities?

Hi Chive,

first of all, I agree with those who've said "Go easy on yourself!" I know that's hard to do, but think of it like a physical illness- I hope you wouldn't beat yourself up for not observing spiritual practices if you were flat on your back with the 'flu, for example.

Another thought I had was if reading's too hard, what about listening? Some nice music or an audio book?

May God bless you this Lent. [Votive]

EJ

Posted by Churchy LaFemme (# 11884) on :

Chive, I'm also having problems with depression this Lent. Lent is usually a great time of spiritual renewal, but this time it's just not happening. I'm trying to just sit in front of my home altar every day for fifteen minutes, even if I can't do what I would call prayer. I don't know if this is right for you though, and I would echo other posters' advice to go easy on yourself.

I was cheered a little by reading Jeremiah 17:8, about the person who trusts in the Lord being like a tree planted by the water which has no worries in the year of drought, and never fails to bear fruit. This is my year of drought, but I have to have faith that it will bear fruit.

Posted by WatersOfBabylon (# 11893) on :

Just got back from Forgiveness Sunday services! (The official kick-off of Orthodox Lent.) I did enough prostrations to work off the annual Cheesefare ice-cream gorge. I have until midnight to finish off the rest of my milk jug, though.

© Ship of Fools 2016