Thread: Circus: January 2009 Fitness Race Board: Limbo / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000689

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Following the success of the November 2007, January 2008 and the July 2008 Fitness Race, and with much cribbing from Ultracrepidarian's post, here are the rules for the January 2009 Fitness Race. We also agreed last time around that an annual January Race to get us back into the routine of exercise following the Saturnalian excesses was a Good Idea™. Those who want to take part please can you sign up here, and record the amount of time you have spent exercising from the 1st January onwards - daily / weekly / whatever is most convenient. The person who spent the most time exercising by the 31st January is the winner.

As before, the aim is to log your hours of fitness activity and watch them accumulate over the month. You can be a serious gym junkie or an occasional cyclist, the important thing is to take some time out of your month to spend being active.

The rules are simple (and almost identical to last time):

1. It has to be physical activity. It doesn't have to be overly strenuous as long as it's aerobic. After some discussion previously, house work and gardening counts, so long as it's aerobic and so serious welly is put into it, but music practice doesn't.
  2. The race is based on time, rounded to the nearest minute. If you spend 5 minutes walking down the street to buy milk, it counts.
  3. If you're paid to be active (eg. as a builder), you can't count time spent on your job; The rest of us need to have a chance! However, you can count active transport that gets you to work (eg. walking, running, cycling, unicycling...).
  4. You can sign up whenever you like, but you can only count time spent after you sign up.

The race starts at midnight January 1 (local time) and finishes at midnight February 1 (local time). There will be small prizes for the winners.

All right then, tie your shoelaces and get ready to go. When we did this in November 2007, the top 5 people took regular daily exercise, little and often worked. None of them had a car, so they all walked or cycled places, so leave the car behind and cut your carbon footprint too - it will help towards the Ship's Compact if you want to take part in that! Children helped - walking recalcitrant babies or toddlers around the block built up useful amounts. Also use your weekends wisely to take extra exercise.

If you are London based, you can start the year with a New Year's Day Walk

[ 05. April 2009, 13:52: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

Posted by Auntie Doris (# 9433) on :

I am definitely in!!

Auntie Doris x

Posted by Freelance Monotheist (# 8990) on :

So overweight & so unhealthy so v certainly in!

Posted by Bacchus (# 11408) on :

I'm in - if I remember to post here. By-the-by, does the effort involved in removing a cork from a bottle of wine count? Even if you grunt alot?

Posted by Wiff Waff (# 10424) on :

I'll have a go this time - and do I get double points when I'm pushing a Host in a wheelchair when he is here?

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

I've eaten too much - count me in!

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

I'm in, for definite.

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

Sign me up too please!

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

OK - I have a stone to lose and applying for a number for my back :shock:!!

[Smile]

Posted by Scots lass (# 2699) on :

I'm in! I started a new job in December, and haven't been to the gym since, so it will be added incentive to get back into it... (That, and all the junk I've been eating over December)

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

I'm in.

Posted by Meg the Red (# 11838) on :

Me too, please!

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

This might give me the incentive I need. Count me in.

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

Count me in, please. It will be interesting to see how little exercise I get in winter, and see why I get love handles every October when the cricket season finishes.

Please also count Celtic Knotweed in - she's busy reminding herself how to knit while I cruise the ship.

Many thanks,

AG

Posted by pimple (# 10635) on :

A propos les embonpoints - A little yearning is a dangerous thing; but the car keeps saying 115,000 miles is enough, and won't believe I've done more than that until I log it up. So I'm in.

ETA I have already put another hole in my belt with a trusty awl. Paul would be proud of me!

[ 27. December 2008, 16:17: Message edited by: pimple ]

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

Count me in too, please.

Posted by Celtic Knotweed (# 13008) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Please also count Celtic Knotweed in - she's busy reminding herself how to knit while I cruise the ship.

Just to confirm I'm in! (and can still sort-of knit [Smile] )

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

sign me up as well. Chasee will be here for the beginning of the month, so I'll try and twist her arm into joining also.

I'm excited! [Yipee]

Posted by the pilgrim (# 13263) on :

I'll do it! I might as well get some kind of credit for all the snow I'm shoveling. [Roll Eyes]

Posted by the famous rachel (# 1258) on :

I'm in... this should reduce my withdrawal symptoms following the end of "Walking Around the World".

Rachel.

Posted by blackbeard (# 10848) on :

And me.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

Me too

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

I'm in: I'll count walking home from the pub on New Year's morning! I am buying a bicycle in mid-January, so I look forward to getting some long hours in on that also.

Posted by PrettyFly (# 13157) on :

Sounds good, I'm in! Have just started running again.

Just to clarify, I get the bus to and from work but walk about 10-15 mins each way between the bus stop to the office - does that count?

Posted by Stevie Boy Wonder (# 11869) on :

This may just be the motivation I need to get off my (fat) arse. I'm in.

Yes, Pretty Fly, walking 10-15mins counts, but we found people added more time if they got off a stop earlier than normal to build in more exercise.

Do people want a list of who is in and what they did last time (or the last few times) to give them targets to aim for? I've put the previous times on the spreadsheet as I've been adding names so that I can give you comparisons at the end. (Yes, I know, sad, and needs a life - also keeping my spreadsheet skills up!)

Posted by Ultracrepidarian (# 9679) on :

I'm in, but I'm not sure how I'll do this time round. I'm on holiday this month, so there's no cycle-commuting to work. But on the other hand, I'm on holidays this month so I don't have to sit in front of a computer all day. However, it's been punishingly hot during the daytime here, so outdoor exercise will probably be limited.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. At the very least, I want to get a couple of outdoor climbing excursions in during the month. Plus I have a slackline I want to play with. [Big Grin]

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Oh crumbs - it starts tomorrow [Ultra confused]

Must phone my coach ....

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Oh crumbs - it starts tomorrow [Ultra confused]

Must phone my coach ....

I read that as "couch". I think I may have to find my couch and have a lie down too....

Posted by Autenrieth Road (# 10509) on :

Smudgie: [Big Grin]

I'm in. Goal: regular activity.

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
…Do people want a list of who is in and what they did last time (or the last few times) to give them targets to aim for? I've put the previous times on the spreadsheet as I've been adding names so that I can give you comparisons at the end. (Yes, I know, sad, and needs a life - also keeping my spreadsheet skills up!)

Yes, please.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Signing in 7.30am New Years Day local time.

I'm not sure I'll continue with this, I got a bit obsessive with the first two, but this is a start on a shiny New Year.

Huia

it's effing -30f tonight. can I count shivering? [Biased]

All ready to rumble tomorrow!

Posted by Nunzia (# 4766) on :

I'm in. For better or worse.

January Fitness Race contestants as at 8:45am on 1st January GMT, and previous times:

1. Auntie Doris - Nov07 16h35m, Jan08 20h40m, Jul08 25h30m
  2. Autenrieth Road - Jan08 30h10m; Jul08 4h05m
  3. Bacchus
  4. blackbeard Jan08 41h35m; Jul08 30h50m
  5. Boogie
  6. Celtic Knotweed Nov07 23h42m; Jul08 42h
  7. chasee?
  8. Chorister Nov07 10h45m; Jan08 14h
  9. comet Jan08 34h10m; Jul08 58h45m
  10. Cottontail
  11. Curiosity killed .. Nov07 49h40m; Jan08 36h30m; Jul08 29h
  12. Freelance Monotheist Nov07 52h; Jan08 53h; Jul08 47h30m
  13. Huia Nov07 71h05m; Jan07 76h30m
  14. lily pad
  15. Meg the Red Jan08 24h30m
  16. NorthEast Quine
  17. Nunzia
  18. pimple
  19. Pretty Fly
  20. Sandemaniac Jul08 62h10m
  21. Scots lass
  22. Sir Kevin Jan08 5h30m; Jul08 6h35m
  23. Smudgie Jan08 16h05; Jul08 5h30m
  24. Spike
  25. Stevie Boy Wonder
  26. Susan Doris Jul08 54h25m
  27. the famous rachel
  28. the pilgrim
  29. Ultracrepidarian Jan08 46h45m; 57h20m;
  30. Wiff Waff

I think I've spotted any name changes!

Well, we're off.

I slacklined and did body-weight exercises (chin-ups, push-ups and some core stuff) for 1 hr 10 today, plus I spent 15 minutes cycling to go and get some money from an ATM.

I've found the perfect pair of trees nearby for stringing my slackline. They're about 6m apart and they're gum trees, so the branches don't get in the way of walking between them. As a bonus, one of the trees has a nice horizontal branch that I can just reach if I stand on the slackline. It makes a nice chin-up bar for when I get bored with walking the line. [Smile]

Running total: 1 hr 25

[ 01. January 2009, 09:03: Message edited by: Ultracrepidarian ]

1 hr 25 min

Very cold this morning, but no wind, so it was quite comfortable walking; and of course very few people or cars about (between (9:0 a.m. and 10:25).

UltraC: Could you explain what a 'slack line' is, please?

[ 01. January 2009, 09:57: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

No worries, SD: Here's the wikipedia article, and here's a nice example of the sort of stuff you can do when you get good. At the moment I can walk from one end of my line to the other without too many problems. As of today, I can even turn around without falling off (if I'm lucky). I'm also working on doing some basic balance tricks like standing on one foot in a yoga-esque tree pose or walking with my hands held behind my back (which is surprisingly hard). However, I'm not jumping around or anything like that. Yet. [Biased]

I know this might look like a set-up but working backwards from the distances I did I get 1 hr 25 mins as well - all cycling in two bursts, one this morning and one this evening.

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

I'm in.

Even if I did miss today's London Shipmeet Walk due to celebrating New Year's Eve a little too vigorously and so am already starting with a day of not doing anything!

Lovely dry weather on New Year's Day, so did a 2 hour walk along the banks of the River Tamar.

UltraC
thanks for the links. I am very impressed!

1 hour on the treadmill and stretching. I weighed myself at the gym and I weigh quite a bit more there than I do at home. [Disappointed]

I went walking in Kew Gardens, and with the 40 minutes of walking to tube stations at either end, I reckon we probably walked for a total of 2 hours (at any pace).

Tut. Not off the ground yet. Was expecting to have to walk to work. But the car was wagging its tail, so to speak....

After we'd recovered from our New Year's Eve festivities, I've been for a walk with some friends in Habberley Woods in Kidderminster. 1 hour 30 minutes wandering through the woods, scrambling up sandstone rocks, and throwing balls for random passing dogs to chase.

OK, does playing on Wii Fitness count as exercise? If so, I've done another 25 minutes of jogging, step aerobics and slalom skiing. I'm now wondering if I should buy a Wii as it would work out cheaper than a year's gym membership, plus I wouldn't have to leave the house in the freezing cold...

Posted by Surfing Madness (# 11087) on :

I'm in, might motivate me a bit!!

I woke up early, so I slacklined and did body-weight stuff for 45 minutes this morning. It's a nice way to start the day. [Smile]

Running total: 2 hr 10

1 hour walking today.

Cycled into the city to buy warm clothing for my trip to the UK. 35 minutes each way makes 1 hr 10.

Running total: 3 hr 20

40 minutes cycling to the ATM this morning - running total 2 hrs 5 mins.

35 minutes keep fit DVD this morning (which has been at the back of the cupboard for a couple of years!)

2 hours 7 minutes of cycling this morning - in an unfortunate amount of fog.

Also, 30 minutes walking to and from the supermarket.

Hence running total: 2 hours 37 minutes.

Rachel.

I can't believe I lazed yesterday away completely. But this morning I've been to the gym and slaved away for a total of

one hour

It's a bit disheartening to know that in that time I worked off fewer calories than a mince pie! But my aim's more to get fitter than thinner, so I will not be disheartened, even though my plan to walk into town this afternoon has been foiled by the clock and a Smudgelet!

One hour of step aerobics - first class in more than 15 years - I may not be so happy tomorrow - but it was fun.

Running total - 2 hours (but it feels like more [Smile] )

35 minutes walking with HWMBO this evening making a running total of 2 hours 40 minutes.

Off the mark today with a brisk afternoon walk in the country. Only 55 minutes but it's a start. Grand to see the sun for a couple of hours after lots of fog/cloud/frost.

40 minutes swimming. (Splashing around with daughter rather than Serious Swimming)
30 minutes in the gym.

Total -70 minutes.

1 hour 45 minutes

Gym, plus walk to and from.

Oh dear, a rather shameful 40 minutes of walking about for today and yesterday. It will improve, the gym classes start next week! Plus my flatmates appear to want to go running - I'll have to try and encourage them out tomorrow...

Another 30 minutes walking into town from a car park just outside, and then walking back again afterwards, making a running total of an hour and a half. At this rate, I stand a chance of beating my previous record!

Just back from an hour and a half at the gym working out with a personal trainer. (It was included in the free membership!) But was really only active for one hour of that time as we talked a bit at the start and at the end.

Running total: 3 hours

50mins walking to and from tube plus 90mins shlepping round the sales (was actually out for a lot longer but that'll do for the walking part of it) for a running total of 2hours 20mins.

[ 02. January 2009, 19:33: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

1 hour 25 minutes walking today in icy conditions, which increased the aerobic qualities considerably.

Running total = 2 hrs 25 mins

[ 02. January 2009, 20:58: Message edited by: Cottontail ]

1 hour spent thrashing the Smudgelet at badminton. [Snigger]
Then a walk into town - we were there an hour and a half but I reckon that, subracting all the mooching around in various shops, I can justify about half an hour of swift walking.

That makes my total so far three hours, I reckon. (I think doing the maths is going to be more of a challenge than doing the exercise!)

Posted by rosamundi (# 2495) on :

Please count me in - pity I found this thread too late to count my four hours pottering around Kew on the 1st and the 2 hours at the Museum of Childhood yesterday.

Just 30 minutes walking today making a running total of 3 hours 10 minutes.

2 Hours 53 minutes of very chilly mountain biking in Thetford Forest.

Running total: 5 hours 30 minutes.

Rachel.

So far today, 45 minutes cleaning out the bin store - and clearing up the 7 bags of fallen leaves in there, and 45 minutes brisk (because of the cold) walking out shopping.

Walked/jogged to work this morning. 45 minutes Running total 1 hour 35 minutes.

Extraordinarily sensuous experience. Black velvet sky setting off the frost in the trees and on the grass. The air redolent (goes off to check dictionary...) yep, redolent with Winter Box, Winter Honeysuckle, Viburnums various and Daphne mezereum - and that's only the ones I could recognize! Long sections of the route well-lit and even with the flaps of my helmet down I could hear robins twittering under the sodium lamps.

Started out thinking "this is something I must do" and finished with "I must do this again". Tomorrow's forecast is minus 5 or 6 centigrade
but it's a leter start, being Sunday. I wonder..

[ 03. January 2009, 16:41: Message edited by: pimple ]

Half an hour of walking yesterday and an hour of running today...
So I'm bringing up the lead with an hour and a half.

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

Then a walk into town - we were there an hour and a half but I reckon that, subracting all the mooching around in various shops, I can justify about half an hour of swift walking.

Was wondering about walking round the shops, so following Smudgie's example Walking round the shops for about 2 and a half hours, is worth about 1 hour and walk to town and back was 1 hour 30 mins, SO that's 2hours 30 mins today and a running total of 3 hours and 5 mins.

1 hour 35 minutes

Did my long walk. Thought of stoppig off for a coffee half way round, but I'd put myself on automatic pilot, so couldn't stop [Smile] I think it could count as a bit of weight-resistance training - I were my thick coat!

Another gloriously sunny - but cold - day, so did 2 hours of cycling/walking on the Camel Trail to Padstow.

Added to my previous score, plus three-quarters of an hour walking yesterday, my score is now 4 3/4 hours.

I'm happy - I think I may be getting close to beating my record for the last fitness race (though I see I have a bit more to do before I match last January. Watch this space)!

One hour in the gym this afternoon (though I failed miserably on the rowing machine - never had to give up after 500 metres before!)

followed by

Forty minutes in the swimming pool churning up and down the lanes.

Brings me to four hours and forty minutes.

Posted by philip99a (# 13799) on :

Pls count me in even if I'm starting with a two day handicap.

25 minutes on exercise bike just now in front of the telly, watching DVD of Series 1 of The Wire. Plus 5 mins stretching, but that's not aerobic so under the rules it doesn't count.

Plan is to increase the exercise-bike-in-front-of-the-telly time by 5 mins every two days aiming at an eventual 40 mins daily (including 5 mins warm up and 5 mins warm down each time. I wind the resistance up for the centre part). Heart rate monitor on the bike clipped to my ear, I keep my heart rate below 130/min max. Advised for my age. Am aiming to do this five times a week. Let's see.....

Sadly too icy for my bike group's Saturday ride today. I don't do ice! Would have added 4-5 hrs. Another time.

Running Total: 25 mins

Right, yesterday I clocked up 30 minutes walking to, around and from the shops during my lunch break and after work. In the evening I went ten-pin bowling with some friends, however with all the sitting around while it was other people's turns, I reckon that probably only comes out at 10 minutes of activity, but I'll count it anyway if I may. [Big Grin]

Today has been a very lazy day - didn't wake up til 10.30, and didn't get dressed til mid-afternoon. But I've done 10 minutes walking to and from the supermarket.

So I make it 2 hours 45 minutes so far.

35 minutes on the treadmill and 25 minutes of weight training

Running total: 4 hours

45 minutes cycling early this morning - running total 3 hours, 10 minutes.

1 hr 5 mins walking.

Running total = 3 hrs 30 mins

3.25 hours shoveling snow and moving heavy stuff. (my storage is trying to cave in under the snow load)

it was -20f while I was out there. do I get extra credit? [Biased]

I'll try to get a more steady system going soon. I need this.

Now that I'm back somewhere with a working computer... Been very idle so far this year, so all I can claim is 5 minutes on Jan 1 walking back from the pub at 3am, and 10 minutes on Jan 2 walking over to visit one of Sandemaniac's relations. Grand total so far of 15 minutes.

This will undoubtedly go up slightly more quickly from hereon - I need to head over for a parental birthday later today, and work starts again tomorrow. [Frown]

I've been a bit more active than the idle Knotweed, but then I don't have a cough that sounds like a dying hippo.

So... 5 mins staggering from pub (does that really count, given that I'd demolished most of the buffet and several glasses of falling-over-water?)
1hr hedging (ie bashing overgrown jungle into a hedge shape)
10 mins walking to and from said rellies
2hrs vigorous gardening
15 minutes walking (-7 at the time - that's pretty parky for the South-East of England)
10 minutes bell ringing, and five minutes each way to get there and back.

I make that 3hrs 50mins

AG

Posted by Angus McDangley (# 11091) on :

I'm in. Off for my gym induction later today.

Church today - which meant hauling 6 crates of Traidcraft stock down the stairs from the flat and towing it up to the church in two goes on a trolley, collecting tables from under tower and taking back when finished, then reverse haul of crates. That lot took 55 minutes.

I could possibly count the jumping and down to keep warm while manning said stall and jogging from foot to foot during every hymn, but I'm not sure how much time I actually spent aerobically moving.

Yesterday involved a 20 minute run, then about 40 minutes of walking. So that's 1 hour to add to my total.

Today, I'm currently still in my PJs, but hopefully when I eventually get dressed and leave the house there'll be more to add...

I've had a weekend of parties. [Smile] But most of them were some distance from public transport (and in one case I rode my bike) so I still have some time to clock up here, even if I haven't exactly done much to improve my fitness level.

I reckon I notched up about 50 min of walking in six trips over the two days. Most of it was fairly brisk and I had to run to catch one of my trains!

I also cycled for around 40 minutes to get to and from one party.

I think that brings my running total to 4 hr 50.

1 hr 25 min (I'm glad I'm not the only one not doing a running total!)

Today = same as yesterday except that I wore thick tights and a shorter jacket so did it ten minutes quicker! My chin has just about un-numbed now...

[ 04. January 2009, 12:35: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

1 Hour 59 minutes on my bike today. (I'm pleased to have done this particular route in under 2 hours, hence the anal timings.)

I was going to go out and get some gardening done this afternoon, but I don't think I can force myself out into the cold again - it took me ages to warm up after cycling this morning.

Anyway, running total: 7 hours 29 minutes

I'm back at work tomorrow and may end up posting weekly rather than daily. Also, I won't have as much time for nice long bike rides.

Rachel.

Walked all the way to work and most of the way back. 1 Hr. 25 min. which I think makes 3 hours in all.

The wind has shifted subtly so that the winter jasmine has been replaced by a strong reminder that ponies are not only for Christmas. Pity the poor little Thelwellians who have to muck'em out at these temperatures!

The link was broken but clicking on the first Googled suggestion should get you there. [Smile]

[ 04. January 2009, 16:08: Message edited by: pimple ]

35 mins keep fit DVD, so that gives me a running total of 3 hours 40 mins.

1 hour swimming with kids (well, ok, 50 mins swimming and 10 mins in the jacuzzi)

10 mins walking to and from church.

Total to date - 2 hrs 10 min.

1 Jan - totally idle, recovering from New Year
2 Jan - walk, river/canal bank, 1 hour 50 minutes
3 Jan - run (sort of) about 30 minutes
4 Jan - walk to church and back, longer walk river/canal bank, 3 hours total
running (ha!) total so far 5 hours 20 minutes
Blackbeard has been doing quite a lot of walking lately, mainly because running has been altogether too much like hard work in present state of unfitness. Also it goes quite well with current state of weather, cold (about freezing - canal is frozen over) and clear. (Comet can laugh.)

1 hour swimming today. I'm knackered!

And 30 minutes yoga, which I suspect I am going to regret tomorrow.

45 minutes walking round the Lickey Hills with friends this afternoon (followed by a large Sunday roast in the pub, but that's probably not something I should admit to at this point). Running total = 3 hours 30 minutes.

30 mins of yoga and 30 mins on the home gym, thus adding another hour to my total!

Cycling to evening eucharist and back (in the freezing cold!), 15 mins each way = 30 mins

Just finished my nightly exercise bike in front of the telly 25 mins

Running total = 1hr 20mins

30 minutes walking. I'm being quite pathetic at the moment. But the plan for tomorrow involves the gym...

35 minutes on the tread mill followed by weight training but then the podcast I was listening to wasn't finished so I went back on the treadmill for another 35 minutes and realised I had been exercising for 2 hours. I may be very sorry by tomorrow.

Running total: 6 hours

I've been a bit under the weather, so off to a slowish start.

Jan 1 - 45 minutes skating

Jan 2 - 20 minutes walking

Jan 3 - 1 hour 15 minutes intensive housecleaning after un-decorating the condo and balcony

Jan 4 - 1 hour 5 minutes snowshoeing

for a total of 3 hours 25 minutes

Cos I've made Sundays a pretty colour on the spreadsheet, I thought I might summarise the exercise to date on Sundays. At the moment, we have

1. the famous rachel 7h 29m
  2. Susan Doris 6h 10m
  3. lily pad 6h 0m
  4. blackbeard 5h 20m
  5. Curiosity killed ... 4h 55m
  6. Ultracrepidarian 4h 50m
  7. Chorister 4h 45m
  8. Smudgie 4h 40m
  9. Wiff Waff 3h 55m
  10. Sandemaniac 3h 50m
  11. Surfing Madness 3h 40m
  12. = Stevie Boy Wonder 3h 30m
    = Cottontail 3h 30m
  13. Meg the Red 3h 25m
  14. comet 3h 15m
  15. pimple 3h 5m
  16. Freelance Monotheist 3h
  17. Yangtze 2h 20m
  18. = North East Quine 2h 10m
    = Scots Lass 2h 10m
  19. phillip99a 1h 20m
  20. Angus McDangley 1h
  21. Celtic Knotweed 15m
not declared so far
Auntie Doris
Autenrieth Road
Bacchus
Boogie
(chasee)
Huia
Nunzia
Prettyfly
rosamundi
Sir Kevin
Spike
the pilgrim

[edited to add Meg the Red's post]

[ 04. January 2009, 23:23: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

quote:

not declared so far
Auntie Doris

That's cos I've done bugger all so far. It all starts tomorrow for me... work, the gym and the diet.

Auntie Doris x

I did some slacklining and body-weight exercises for 1 hr 10 this morning. I reckon an hour's slacklining most mornings would be a good fitness aim for January. I might start getting better at it...

Running total: 6 hours

1 hr 30 mins walking today.

Running total = 5 hrs

Posted by Nunzia (# 4766) on :

50 minutes walking today.

10 minutes hauling wood

Sat 3rd: 3 hours 40 mins walking - which includes a very slow but very worthy hour on the Gaza march

Sun 4th: a brisk 1 hour walking (actually 3 x 20mins) in the freezing cold.

Which I think takes me to 7 hours

10 mins walking (to the swimming pool and back) and 45 mins swimming. Takes my total to 4 hours 35 mins.

30 minutes cycling this evening - running total 3 hours 40 mins.

Does aerobic sleeping count? It is part of my fitness programme.

Judging by the climbing up and down, the reaching and stretching, the running back and forth (by making sure that I took each one to the furthest room to pack), the sweat I worked up and how exhausted I now feel, I think I am going to count the entire one hour of taking the decorations down as a full body workout!

That takes my running total to... oh, goodness only knows. I'll work it out later [Big Grin]

Wiff Waff, I'm confused, not difficult I know but ... Going through the thread, I think you have declared
  1. 1h 25m on 1st January,
  2. 40 minutes and 35 minutes on the 2nd January
  3. 30 minutes on the 3rd January;
  4. 45 minutes on the 4th January and
  5. 35 minutes on the 5th January.

I, well, the spreadsheet, adds that up to 4h 25m, which is more than you've added it up to.

I'm declaring 50 minutes today so far, made up of lots of walking on icy pavements, 15 minutes of it carrying a very heavy bag to the tube to take my daughter back to university. This is daughter and me walking at our usual unaccompanied brisk pace to keep warm.

50 mins brisk walk.
10 mins doing action songs with small children.

Total 3 hours 10 mins.

1 hr 25 min

Taxi to and from gym, so did a bit longer in the gym.

Posted by To The Pain (# 12235) on :

Yet again I join the thread late - one of these days I'll be paying attention [Roll Eyes] That said, the last few days haven't been all that active anyway.

so I can count the 10 mins I walked into uni this morning? Pretty please? I won't get to walk home tonight.

Hopefully my weight-watching mother turning up this evening will help me go some places.

One hour - Flexible Strength class (that will be the last time you see that class posted here - way too hard!)

One hour - treadmill while watching a show about British people shopping for houses - very bizarre.

Running total - 8 hours

Zeke and I walked half a mile back from the pub on New Year's Day.

And... we're off..... 60 minutes of pure torture at the gym today.

Auntie Doris x

Ok, have got the year off to a rather slow start, but did 30 minutes walking over the weekend, and am off to the gym this evening so hopefully will be on track soon!

40 minutes cycling to and from work. It doesn't normally take that long but the snow and ice slowed me down significantly.

Hence running total: 8 hours 9 minutes.

All the best,

Rachel.

Links do make your posts more interesting, but please limit to maximum of 2 (preferably one) per post. Thanks, Chorister, Host.

Today: 40 mins round trip to post office;
1 hr & 15 mins of swimming;
and a 50 minute round trip to work & back!

45 minutes at the gym, and 20 of walking.

Ow.

But 1 hour 5 minutes for today! Which is an improvement...

50 minute afternoon walk. The hills with their dusting of snow very pretty.

Bit more for yesterday and today.

4 Jan: 25 min biking to parental abode; 5 min walking from car to restaurant and back (don't you love people with free parking in the centre of town!); 20 min biking home.

5 Jan: 25 min biking to work, and another 30 min walking the last mile-and-a-bit when my front tyre went suddenly very flat [Mad] . The rest of today's commuting was carried out via a parental car, as walking home with a flat tyre for slightly over 5 miles in the dark in winter is best avoided...

Total for this post of 1 hour 45 minutes. Running total 2 hours

And another 15 minutes walking, plus 30 minutes yoga, which is not the gentle occupation it looks. Ow!

Apologies Chorister, I'll pm corrctions in future.

I took a different bus today to force me to walk more - it worked! 55 minutes to add, bringing my running total to 4 hours, 20 minutes .

One reluctant hour at the gym tonight - agh, looking at the time I can see that it was actually yesterday night!

Must get bicycle soon! Walking boring; I shall have the machine paid off by EOM, replete with helmet, lights and speedometer/odometer!

Thu Jan 1: 0 min.
Fri Jan 2: 5 min.
Sat Jan 3: 15 min.
Sun Jan 4: 10 min.
Mon Jan 5: 30 min.

Total 1 hour. All walking.

My Fitness Race Goal is to not be DFL.

[ 06. January 2009, 02:56: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

(Zeke bought me helmet for Christmas, as well as jazz brushes for drums.)

55 minutes walking today.

Running total = 5 hrs 55 mins.

25 mins of yoga this morning.
Where's the "Ow, my stomach muscles are killing me!" smilie?

CK - would you believe that originally I was going to be a mathematician?

[Hot and Hormonal]

Today 45 minutes cycling to pay bills - running total now 5 hours 10 minutes.

Monday 5th: 45 minutes walking and 20 mins swimming

(and I can tell you now that it was only the thought of this Race that got me out of my warm comfortable home and to the swimming pool last night)

Tuesday 6th (so far): 1 hour walk round the park with friend with dog. Not very speedy but very nice.

Which I think makes 9 hours 5 mins total

[ 06. January 2009, 09:41: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

Oh, the shame. So far all I can add is a further

10 mins walk to uni.

Running total: 20 mins

I have high hopes for the next few weekends.

OK, I can now add... er... a grand total of about ten minutes spent swimming in the rather lovely (but far too short) pool in the brand new spa that's opened in the village. Of course, this also meant that I had to test out the rest of the spa's facilities, including a massage and half an hour in their wonderful "relaxation room". I may not be much fitter, but I certainly feel good [Big Grin]

35 mins spent walkiing today taking me to 5 hours 10 mins.

Because I really like snow, I've been out walking in it for two hours - and took some photos. The first one of the icy pavement is to point out how exciting walking around here has been for the past couple of days. The sunny side of the street, where there is one, has melted.

Posted by chicklegirl (# 11741) on :

I know I'm rather late to the party but am hoping this race will bring out my competitive side and thus get me back into a good routine (which I have been out of since I found out I had arthritis in my hips last summer). No hours yet, but I'll try to have something to report this evening.

Put me in for 45 minutes total thus far:
1 Jan. 15 minutes walking back from pub
6 Jan. 30 minutes to and from work beginning at my downtown parking garage.

Not so lucky as Sir K, this morning I put a girdle round the earth - havng left home too early, all the bl*%$+ pubs were shut.

[ETA just remembered we've got our very own Ariel - so apologies for the potential steal. Put me - not him/her - down for 40 minutes [Frown] ]

[ 06. January 2009, 17:22: Message edited by: pimple ]

10 mins vigorous scraping ice off car.

1 hour in swimming pool, less the 10 mins I spent in the jacuzzi.

Total 4 hours 10 mins.

30 minutes walking today.

Auntie Doris x

Posted by Geneviève (# 9098) on :

I think I joined last Jan., and did so little I didn't even post it. Ok, will try again. Even a little bit is a start, I will say to myself.

25 min walking today.

quote:
Originally posted by chicklegirl:
I know I'm rather late to the party but am hoping this race will bring out my competitive side and thus get me back into a good routine (which I have been out of since I found out I had arthritis in my hips last summer). No hours yet, but I'll try to have something to report this evening.

Re: arthritis in hips. About 16 years ago, I was told I had arthritis in my left hip. I had just had to give up driving but I had bought good trainers and whenever I walked, I found that if I kept going, after a while it stopped hurting. I was sort of resigned to the fact that I'd probably have to have a hip replacement or something. But gradually the pain disappeared and I've never had any trouble since. This info is probably completely useless, but I just thought I'd mention it in case it might be helpful.

Hia,

Today I did 32 minutes of circuit training.

Also I cycled to and from work, which again took me 40 minutes because I went the long way to try and avoid the worst of the ice on the cycle paths.

Hence, running total 9 hours 21 miuntes.

I'm going away for the next couple of days and won't get anything done I suspect, but I shall try and achieve something on Friday.

Rachel.

And 30 minutes yoga, running total 9 hours.

45 minutes on the treadmill and 45 minutes of weight training

Running total: 9.5 hours

30 minutes of walking to add today!

Welcome to chicklegirl and Geneviève.

Geneviève, I couldn't find you on the previous threads, as DaisyM or Geneviève.

I am not sure if this is a spur or depressing but there are four of us who have broken 9 hours, me on 9h dead, Yangtze at 9h 5m, the famous rachel at 9h 21m and lily pad at 9h 30m. But Smudgie, you've already done better than you did in July.

3 x 20 mins of walking today, adding an extra hour to my total...I think I'm on the 7 hr mark-ish!Do not trust this linguist with figures!

5 Jan - 30 min walking (to/from shops)
6 Jan - 1 hour 50 min walking - canal-river bank - NEW BOOTS but they seem OK which is more than can be said for my legs.

I think I need to do lots more walking. I seem to have slipped a lot in just a few years, due to not being so active as I used to be. For shame. I thought that, having retired, I would have lots more time for doing active outdoorsy things but it's not quite working that way.

It seems to be a steady few miles each day that I need rather than occasional bursts of gym. Or possibly both.

Anyway, running total (must do some more of that too) now 7 hours 40 minutes.

More walking - 45 minutes yesterday and 1 hour 15 minutes today. My lunchtime walk (40 minutes) must have been pretty brisk as I was sweating by the time I got back to the office, despite the temperature outdoors being about -3!

Running total (mostly walking, no actual running so far) = 5 hours 30 minutes.

Yesterday: walked into town from work and back at lunchtime, because the cash machine close to my office had been attacked with a hammer over the weekend = 20 minutes

Also up and down the four flights of stairs to my office three times (lift was out of order, but I do try to use the stairs anyway) = 15 mins

Plus the heating in our building was off, faulty boiler! Not surprisingly I headed off home at about 3pm!

But I had overdone the vigorous exercise biking and my right knee wass swollen and sore. So, Ibuprofen, Paracetamol and no watching the DVD of The Wire that night. Also I think the saddle may be too high. I'll drop it a peg.

Today: vigorous, angry 20 minute walk around the campus to clear my head after a difficult, frustrating meeting = 20 mins

Up and down the four flights of stairs twice = 10 mins

Knee improving but still sore so no exercise bike again tonight. Should be OK tomorrow.

Partial heating at work. But none in the lecture theatre I was lecturing in this afternoon. But no points added for that!

Running Total = 2hrs 30mins

1 hour 10 minutes walking today, for a running total of 5 hours 30 minutes.

Alrighty. Time to log a couple of days of activity.

Monday evening I went indoor climbing. I cycled for 40 minutes to get to the gym, I was there for a good 3 hours or so, but much of that was belaying, watching other people trying a hard climb etc. so I'll log 1 hr 30 of physical activity. I then had to fix a puncture on my bike (I reckon that's got to count as 10 minutes worth of swearing, pulling on tyre-levers, struggling with a useless handpump etc.) and it took me another 40 minutes to cycle home.

Tuesday morning, I spent about 45 minutes slacklining and doing body-weight stuff. Tuesday evening I went outdoor climbing (for the first time in ages). I cycled for 30 minutes to get to the cliffs, did about 1 hours worth of physical activity when I was there and cycled for another 30 minutes to get home.

And today, I'm resting (although I might go slacklining this afternoon). I like being on holidays. [Smile]

Total for post: 5 hr 45 (I think)
Running total: 11 hr 45

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
Re: arthritis in hips. About 16 years ago, I was told I had arthritis in my left hip. I had just had to give up driving but I had bought good trainers and whenever I walked, I found that if I kept going, after a while it stopped hurting. I was sort of resigned to the fact that I'd probably have to have a hip replacement or something. But gradually the pain disappeared and I've never had any trouble since. This info is probably completely useless, but I just thought I'd mention it in case it might be helpful.

Up until last June I was running three times weekly, and found I didn't hurt while I was running; it was the three days after each run that I was in agony. My doc told me I would do permanent damage if I kept it up, so I switched to walking, which doesn't cause me problems--though it did take me a while to stop feeling sorry for myself [Hot and Hormonal] and just be glad I can still walk, swim, and bike. I find I can manage my arthritis pretty well by avoiding the high impact stuff and taking glucosamine and chondroitin.

So, today I put in 30 minutes of vigorous housework (cleaned my oven) and walked 30 minutes.

This morning 40 minutes walking and 40 minutes cycling - running total 6 hours 30 minutes.

7 January: 1 hour walk / jogging in the park with a few exercises as well.

I am hoping to go out again later, but I hoped that yesterday and it didn't happen! Total 10hrs 5mins I think.

Posted by Paul M (# 37) on :

Can I join? I already keep a count of how much exercise I do so I may as well post it here.

My times are to the nearest minute - is that ok or do you want me to round them to the nearest 5min?

["them" not "then"]

[ 07. January 2009, 11:29: Message edited by: Paul M ]

Since the home connection is playing dead, [Mad] better update whilst I can.
Jan 6:
Total for day of 1 hour 20 minutes.

So far today, just a nice normal 35 min commute to work.

Running total now 3 hours 55 minutes.

PaulM, yes, you can record to the nearest minute. What I am doing with the figures is adding them in minutes into a spreadsheet and getting it to do the work. I'll just put your numbers in as they come.

So far today 20 minutes very brisk walking around.

Thanks CK.

7 Jan. 30 minutes to and from work fromthe parking garage.

Another 35 mins cycling to the pharmacy in town this evening - running total 7 hours 5 minutes.

30 mins at gym.

Total - 4 hrs 40mins

A 35-minute swim today - the water was warm, byjingo!

Total - 5h20m.

One hour yoga class.
Ten minutes cardio class. (Why do some people think that that they need to smell pretty more than I need to be in a class?)

Running total: 10 hours 10 minutes

lily pad, I make you up to 10h 40m.

And another 15 minutes walking up the town to collect a book.

40 minutes walking today, bringing me up to 6 hours 10 minutes, if I remember rightly.

Four short walks totalling 45 minutes. The car being kaput. [Frown]

Ok, I can now add 35 minutes walking and 15 jogging to make a running total of 70 minutes.

Gosh, that seems rather pathetic...

An hour's walking today (40 mins round trip to work & home then 4x5 mins taking girls to activities, picking one up & going home, then going out for other one & going home again). Plus about 15 mins over two days of picking kids up (for cuddles, after baths, in play) and hauling them places!

Weds 7th ctnd: ...and a brisk (blinkin' cold out there) 25 mins lunchtime walk to post office and shops and back. Brrrr.

50 mins proper walking and about an hour at the shopping mall, which i'm counting as 10 mins!! Bringing my total to 6 hours 10 mins.

Posted by Joan_of_Quark (# 9887) on :

If I can join in at this late stage, then.. a grand total of 40 minutes' walking today.

70 minutes at the gym today.

Auntie Doris x

Today, 2 hours walking (shops twice, evening meeting)(car feeling neglected) plus 20 minutes swimming.
Running total 10 hours.

So,

10mins walking home from work.
60mins official "exercise" walk
7mins on the stepper

Total of 77mins

One hour of elliptical machine and strength training (in my scent free house.)

Running total: 11 hours 40 minutes

Another 15 minutes of climbing stairs during time off from work, up to 8 flights at a time.

55 minutes walking today, for a total of 6 hours 25 minutes

Catch-up since Tuesday morning:

Tuesday (cont):
10 mins walk home from uni
30 mins walk round trip to housegroup
Wednesday:
20 mins walk round trip to shops (and home carrying heavy baking ingredients)
Thursday (so far):
10 mins walk to uni (carrying a huge bag of cake and cookies which are now sat on my desk smelling wonderful)

Total for post:
60 mins

Running total:
80 mins

3 hours 10 minutes walking today, most of it pretty aimless waiting for the jeep to be ready, and 45 minutes sorting out the disaster area known as the massage room - lugging boxes and furniture and stuff about!

Running total 11 hours, I think.

More walking.

Tue Jan 6: 30 min.
Wed Jan 7: 40 min.

Running total 2 hr 10 min.

I did 30 minutes yoga last night and so far today have set up and put away Toddler Church (Pram Service) (so moving lots of tables, chairs and equipment varying distances) and aerobically led action songs - for which I'm going to say 1 hour. My running total is 11h 5m.

To the Pain - I make you at 90 minutes/1h 30m running total, 10 minutes more than you did.

philip99a I made your total 2h 25m - 5 minutes less than you did.

20 mins raking leaves.

Total - 5 hours.

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

[luvanddaisies arrives to cheer from the sidelines]
"WOO-HOO!!!!"

(I'm not going to do it this time, for various reasons, but I still think it's a great thing - thanks CK, again!)

Nothing yesterday, but 3 hours today.

Tap dancing = 1 hour and as I'm in charge, there is only a short pause between routines!
Walk there and back, then did my long walk and as it was much less cold today, it was nice to wear a lighter weight jacket.

quote:
Originally posted by chicklegirl:
Up until last June I was running three times weekly, and found I didn't hurt while I was running; it was the three days after each run that I was in agony. My doc told me I would do permanent damage if I kept it up, so I switched to walking, which doesn't cause me problems--though it did take me a while to stop feeling sorry for myself [Hot and Hormonal] and just be glad I can still walk, swim, and bike. I find I can manage my arthritis pretty well by avoiding the high impact stuff and taking glucosamine and chondroitin.

Thank you for response. It sounds as if your determination will keep you going. Will you have to have replacement hips one day?

15 minutes walking so far today.

Auntie Doris x

quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
[luvanddaisies arrives to cheer from the sidelines]
"WOO-HOO!!!!"

(I'm not going to do it this time, for various reasons, but I still think it's a great thing - thanks CK, again!)

Ah, nice to see you're there! I had been thinking, 'Where's luvanddaisies?'

40 mins walking taking me up to 6 hours 50 mins

Walking to work and to and from bus stops - 1 hr 15 min

Another longish canal/river walk (about 9 miles).
2 hours 40 minutes (fastish 'cos trainers not boots - it hasn't rained much here recently).
Running, in a manner of speaking, total now 12 hours and 40 minutes.

Various walking today of 94 minutes.

[ 08. January 2009, 19:01: Message edited by: Paul M ]

1.5 hours of walking throughout the day.

Paltry 40 minutes of walking for yesterday and today. Not sleeping well and trying to exercise don't really mix...

And 35 minutes yoga

It's been a hard day to keep track of all my walkings, partly because I can't remember where I went at lunchtime (oh my, I'm only 30 but my memory's going already [Eek!] ) but I think I'm right in saying I walked for 1 hour 10 minutes today, bringing my total up to 7 hours 20 minutes.

20 min brisk walk, 30 mins at gym.

Total: 5 hrs 50 mins.

15 minutes walking yesterday and 10 minutes walking today.

That very minor effort takes my running total to 9 hours 46 minutes

Rachel.

Nothing of note yesterday and then 45 minutes of slacklining this morning.

Running total: 12 h 30

My right knee is still puffy and sore (honest!) This is not going well ......... yet! [Mad]

quote:
Originally posted by Ultracrepidarian:
then 45 minutes of slacklining this morning.

I'd never heard of slacklining until 5 minutes ago!

One hour strength class and 40 minutes on the treadmill.

Running total: 13 hours and 20 minutes

quote:
Originally posted by philip99a:
My right knee is still puffy and sore (honest!) This is not going well ......... yet! [Mad]

Sorry to hear that Philip. I have an ice pack on my shoulder after a tough class tonight. Hope your knee recovers quickly!

I had a totally moochy day on Tuesday and achieved a grand total of nothing at all. If I moved, it was from the chair to the kitchen for a coffee! Yesterday's visit to the gym went out of the window because when I got there I discovered it was "Junior Gym" time. Being surrounded by muscular men doesn't bother me at all (strange, that) but the thought of being surrounded by 10-15 year olds while in the gym fills me with utter horror.

However I did work incredibly hard cleaning and tidying and scrubbing the kitchen floor in anticipation of a visitor so I think I can happily claim one hour's worth of it as extra exercise. (It was all day, but a lot of it was just ordinary stuff and not highly exercisy)

60 minutes pilates yesterday.

Auntie Doris x

quote:
To the Pain - I make you at 90 minutes/1h 30m running total, 10 minutes more than you did.

CK you're absolutely right - not sure where I missed them from but I was out those 10 mins. And I knew that I always end up a bit out so I put together my own personal spreadsheet - didn't work, did it.

Revised running total from last post: 90 minutes

Thursday (cont):
10 mins walk home
60 mins dancing (I danced every dance in a 90 minute class)
Friday (so far):
30 mins walk to uni (had to do a loop for deep and meaningful with my visiting mother)

Total for this post:
100 minutes or 1 hour and 40 minutes

Running total
190 minutes or 2 hours and 10 minutes

I doubt I'll do much more than walk home today but I have fairly high hopes for the weekend.

Still no connection at home, so Sandemaniac and I will be updating in breaks, or else hitting my mother's computer! Anyway, here's my tally.

Jan 7, another 50 minutes getting home. Mix of walking and cycling as the front light batteries died. (I may have left the light on all day [Hot and Hormonal] )

Jan 8: 30 minutes to work, 25 getting home. Went to ringing practice, for a total of 30 minutes actual doing things (including walking to the church and back), as opposed to catching up with the gossip since Christmas.

Today, 35 minutes getting to work in freezing fog. I'm almost dreading the ride home...

I make that 2 hours 50 min this post, and a running total of 6 hours 45 minutes.

30 minutes cycling this evening - running total 11 hours 30 minutes.

50 minutes walking and 20 minutes weight exercises

Running total: 14 hours 30 minutes

Yesterday I logged 2 hours, 15 minutes of vigorous activity taking down all my Christmas decorations and cleaning the house. Everything's thawing here and I think the spring cleaning bug bit me a few months early!

Running total: 3 hours, 15 minutes

Another hour swimming, which takes my total up to er...2 hours!!

Another 50 mins walking today, taking my total to 7 hours.

Got another 20 minutes on the treadmill last night, so currently running total of 90 mins.

1.5 hours of swimming & half an hour of walking, wshich brings me up to about 10 hours, I think.

Freelance Monotheist, you're a better woman than me if you managed an hour and a half swimming - however that brings your total up to 11h 25m

Surfing Madness - I make you up to 7h 40m

So far today, I've got 30 minutes walking to add.

43mins walking today

Today's results.....

30 minutes swimming
60 minutes cleaning the house
15 minutes walking.

Auntie Doris x

Well, I hope you're impressed that, despite having a terribly late night last night (Honestly, that Yangtze woman never stops talking!) and having done all that work in preparation for her arrival, I still managed to persuade her that she really did want to go to the gym today. [Big Grin]

(Shame she can't log in and reply to that, isn't it? You'll just have to trust me to tell the truth!)

So I achieved an impressive one hour of strenuous exercise today.

I think I should also add Yangtze's achievements (preferably to my total)

She managed to wangle an hour's exercise (not very hard work, I have to say) and then a forty five minute's brisk walk followed by a twenty-minute charity-shop-crawl in town. So that totals Two hours and five minutes for Yangtze and an hour for me (quality, not quantity, Smudgie [Big Grin] )

Yesterday: 50 mins yoga
Today: 45 mins cycling, 30 mins yoga

10 minutes of climbing and descending actual stairs today.

Friday - 1 hour 5 minutes of walking, and 2 hours 10 minutes burning up the dancefloor at a club with some mates. I make that a total of 10 hours 35 minutes so far.

Now I need some sleep...

45 minutes cycling into town at dawn - running total 12 hours 15 minutes.

quote:
Originally posted by philip99a:
quote:
Originally posted by Ultracrepidarian:
then 45 minutes of slacklining this morning.

I'd never heard of slacklining until 5 minutes ago!
It's awesome fun. [Big Grin]

I've got a little 8m line (nothing compared with that 171m one!) and I can walk pretty confidently on it. As of recently, I can also turn around, with either leg in front, without too many problems. Long lines are harder because of how much they bend and they vibrate in the wind. I'd like to have a go on a long line, but that'll have to wait to another time...

The advantage of short lines is that you can do more tricks; there's a nice catalogue of tricks here, some others here and I love this video as something to aspire to.

I haven't been game to try any jumps, but I've done a bit of slackline surfing (deliberately making the line swing from side to side) and there are a few other tricks that I can sometimes pull off.

Anyway, enough raving about slacklining; I should report my times. I had to go in to uni yesterday, so I can report 1 hr 15 minutes of commuter cycling. This morning, I rode to FD's place and back (about 15 minutes in total) and I also did 1 hr of slacklining and bodyweight exercises.

Running total: 15 h

20 minutes walking in town this morning.

Running total 12 hours 35 minutes.

Swimming with kids 1 hr 15 mins, subtract the 15 mins I spent in the sauna and jacuzzi - I hour.

Total 6 hrs 50 mins.

Here's mine...
3 hrs vigorous digging (just getting the feeling back in one toe - it's warmed up to -2 while I was out there!)

45 minutes /day on the bike for five days (bit more than the usual commute, I've ended up in town at least once every day...) makes 3 hrs 45.

30 mins + 10 mins bellringing, and getting there and back making... (takes socks off to aid counting)

7hrs 25 to add to 3 hrs 50

11 hrs and 15 minutes

AG

75 minutes walking today. It was absolutely bloody freezing!!

Auntie Doris x

3 hours Church working party this morning - 50 minutes was aerobic - the bit where I removed lights from a 8ft and a 12ft Christmas tree, towed them outside and swept up the mess made. Another hour plus was very cold - disentangling four sets of lights from the 12ft tree and I've only just warmed up.

Yesterday I commuted by bike using my normal route to and from work which took 30 minutes.

Today I went out on my road bike for a long ride, clocking up 3 hours 48 minutes. This was possibly the coldest ride I've ever done. It was so cold that my bottle of isotonic sports drink froze completely solid. This is more impressive than it sounds since the salt in an isotonic drink should lower the freezing temperature of water well below zero.

Anyway, I have now thawed out and calculated my running total: 14 hours 4 minutes .

All the best,

Rachel.

Truly foul weather scuppered plans for long walk. Short gym session instead - 30 mins.

Total 7hrs 20 mins.

The Famous Rachel, I am shivering on your behalf! It is a beautiful day here, minus nine but a little wind so it feels like minus sixteen. It was minus nineteen when I woke up this morning so I am glad it warmed up. I may go skating on the outdoor rink this afternoon. It looks like fun.

I went to the gym and walked for an hour on the treadmill and then did 45 minutes of weight training.

Running total: 16 hours 15 minutes

1 hr 50 min

Short walk yesterday - taking walking stick as some sections of pavements slippery.
Still very cold today, but perfect for doing the long walk.

quote:

Surfing Madness - I make you up to 7h 40m

thanks for checking. Managed just 10 mins walking today (but have managed quiet a bit of study.) Taking my total up to 7 hours 50 mins.

9 Jan, just 30 minutes walking,
10 Jan, also 30 minutes walking.
Feeling wrung out, not sure why.
Anyway, running total now 13 hours 40 minutes.

Thu Jan 8: 45 min. walking
Fri Jan 9: 55 min. Pilates; 5 min. walking

Running total 3 hr 55 min.

And 30 minutes yoga

A bit of updating . . .

Jan 8 - 55 minutes walking

Jan 9 - 35 minutes walking

Jan 10 - 95 minutes walking, 35 minutes skating at the city hall rink, all of which was wonderful, given that our month-long cold snap has finally broken!

1 hr 20 of slacklining and bodyweight exercises. The regular slacklining is certainly doing something for my balance and core stability and (thanks to the well-placed tree branch) I'm also beginning to see an improvement in my ability to do chin-ups.

I still haven't managed ten chin-ups in a row, though. That's a bit of a goal for me at the moment (and has been for a while). My best so far is eight, so ten isn't far off...

Running total: 16 hr 20

3 hours walking round the shops yesterday.

2 hr 15 min

Gym and walking to/from, then walking to/from shops. Swimming teacher had to cancel lesson.

1 hour yesterday walking into and back from town, and an hours swimming today making a total of 4 hours.

Most of the day spent in fairly strenuous work on the house, erecting new screening on the roof, etc., for which I claim 2 hours - there were some pauses whilst I considered how best to do the next bit.

This evening I did a 50 minutes cycle ride - I only meant to do 30 but was in the mood for more.

Running total 15 hours 25 minutes.

Today, so far, 3 hours 15 minutes walking - 25 minutes very fast getting to a neighbouring church (across the fields) because I was late, and then the very scenic route back. What's worrying me is I suspect that I walked around 10 miles and that's faster than I expect me to be able cover that distance in these conditions. Running total 16h 45m

Today the cold snap finally broke and the sun shone! It was great!

Here's what I did:

1 hour and 40 minutes walking by the river and in the country park.

1 hour and 20 minutes gardening - mostly heavy digging as I was clearing a very overgrown border ready to be a vegetable patch in the spring.

Running total: 17 hours and 4 minutes.

Rachel.

5 mins of walking today.

1 hr 20 mins doing a foul task - digging a large hole in the veg patch and putting sludge from bottom of the green cone into it. Yuck!

Total - 8 hrs 40 mins.

Yesterday: 1 Hr, 25 min walking/jogging.
Today: Walked to work, 1 Hr. 10 min. but bussed home. Feet very sore.

20 mins walking.

Total 9 hours.

Digging seems to be a bit of a theme here! If it rains as forecast tomorrow, it will be the last I get done for a while - allotments on a watermeadow tend not to drain well. It was noticeably stickier underfoot with the thaw setting in today than it was yesterday... So glad I've got a shedload done, and got a big chunk that still had to be reclaimed from the brambles dug! Oh yes, isn't this the fitness race thread? [Hot and Hormonal]

2hrs heavy digging
15 mins + 10 mins bellringing, and getting there and back makes

13hrs 40minutes.

AG

[ 11. January 2009, 19:53: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

Slightly better day today:
Walking to church and back 15 +15 minutes
walking along river bank (downstream this time) 2 hours 10 minutes. Thus total for day 2 h 40 m.
Running (must get around to it sometime) total
16 hours 20 minutes

Yesterday - another lazy Saturday with just 15 minutes of walking, but 1 hour 30 minutes of dancing in the evening at my friend's birthday do.

Today - an epic (for me anyway) 3 hours 25 minutes walking, including me and my friend doing what we figured was probably a ten-mile trek from her flat via the park to my house, then down the canal and back along the main road to her flat.

Everything from my thighs downwards is aching now. On the plus side, however, my total is now 15 hours 45 minutes.

Walking on the treadmill - 65 minutes watching a movie about Martin Luther King Jr. - hated to stop before it ended

Strength exercises listening to CBC podcasts - 50 minutes

Didn't get to go skating again today. It was -22 in the morning but it did get up to -12 today but it was very damp and cold.

Running total: 18 hours 10 minutes

Friday: 40 minutes of walking, plus a ceilidh in the evening. Discussion with luvanddaisies (who was there) puts that at about 1hr 30.

Saturday: 30 minutes of walking, and a lot of talking to people. If only that counted as exercise...

Sunday: 30 minutes walking again.

So total for the last few days is 3 hrs 10. Must do more walking!

Another 30 minutes yoga to add

Weekly update

1. lily pad 18h 10m
  2. Curiosity killed ... 17h 15m (am I surprised)
  3. the famous rachel 17h 4m
  4. = blackbeard 16h 20m
    = Ultracrepidarian 16h 20m
  5. Stevie Boy Wonder 15h 45m
  6. Wiff Waff 15h 25m
  7. Susan Doris 15h 5m
  8. Freelance Monotheist 14h 30m
  9. Sandemaniac 13h 40m
  10. Yangtze 12h 35m
  11. Meg the Red 10h 5m
  12. pimple 9h 10m
  13. North East Quine 9h 0m
  14. Smudgie 8h 50m
  15. Surfing Madness 7h 50m
  16. Scots Lass 7h 35m
  17. Auntie Doris 6h 55m
  18. Celtic Knotweed 6h 45m
  19. Cottontail 5h 55m
  20. Chorister 5h 20m
  21. Angus McDangley 4h
  22. Autenrieth Road 3h 55m
  23. To the Pain 3h 10m
  24. PaulM 3h 3m
  25. comet 3h 25m
  26. chicklegirl 3h 15m
  27. Joan of Quark 2h 45m
  28. philip99a 2h 25m
  29. = Pretty Fly 1h 40m
    = Sir Kevin 1h 40m
  30. Nunzia 50m

Have not posted any times yet

Bacchus
Boogie
(chasee)
Geneviève
Huia
rosamundi
Spike
the pilgrim

[ 11. January 2009, 22:12: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

50 minutes walking this morning (before the windstorm came up, thanks be!) and 30 minutes step-ups this afternoon.

About 30 minutes slacklining. I took my youngest sister this morning, and she seemed to enjoy it too.

Running total: 16 h 50

Sat 10th : 100mins walking
Sun 11th : 24mins walking

Walked for a total of 30 minutes (or 1 mile) through our new one-million square foot convention centre on breaks and during lunch.

[Big Grin]

Sat Jan 10: 40 min. walking.

Sun Jan 11: 45 min. walking, plus 10 min. shoveling snow. A lovely light crisp winter low-temp snow, but needing shoveling all the same. (Is that sad or what, that I'm attuned to seasonal variation in snow?)

Running total: 4 hr 30 min.

Autenrieth Road, I make that 5h 30m!

Not a bad weekend. Not a great one either though.

Friday (cont):
10 mins walk home
Saturday:
180 mins dancing (had a five-hour class for future teachers, spent some of it teaching and some of it sitting out feeling a bit eurk)
Sunday:
5 mins walking in and out of church and up and down friends stairs for lunch!
Monday (so far):
7 mins walk/bike to uni (can't explain how that takes nearly the same amount of time as walking - is a bit uphill I guess)

Total for this post:
202 minutes or 3 hours and 22 minutes

Running total
392 minutes or 6 hours and 32 minutes

Catching up:

Thurs 8 Jan: 0 (early start, trains and work)
Fri 9 Jan: 2hrs 5 mins gym and walking (but I see you've already counted that)

Sat 10 Jan: 1 hour gorgeous walk amongst frost encrusted trees with the lovely Ferijen
Sunday 12 Jan: 2 hours 30 minutes walking (to flower market, to farmers market, to church)

Which makes a total, I think, of 16 hours 5 minutes

Still got a sore right knee and swollen lower leg from going at the exercise bike too hard too soon! Despite warm-ups, warm-downs and stretches. Physio booked for next Tuesday!

So:

20 mins walk to and from the doctor's surgery!

Total to date: a pathetic 2hrs 45mins [Frown]

quote:
Autenrieth Road, I make that 5h 30m!

Oooh, you're right! Thank you. At this rate I shall be in double digits by February!

1 hour 45 mins of swimming today.

25 minutes cycling to and from a haircut this evening - running total 15 hours 50 minutes.

Saturday 45 mins walking
Sunday 40 mins walking, 45 mins cycling

1 hour step interval class in a freezing cold gym - kept my warm up jacket on for almost the whole class - is cold today

50 minutes walking on the treadmill (while watching Regis and Kelly on one tv and President Bush giving his final news conference on three tvs. You draw whatever comparisons seem to fit. [Razz] )

Running total: 20 hours

So far 45 minutes walking - running total 18 hours.

Teaching small children the Tigger song - 5 mins bouncing
Swimming with daughter - 40 mins.
Walking home from where car broke down [Frown] -5 mins

Total - 9 hrs 50 mins

1 hour of walking throughout the day.

Still recovering from yesterday's excursion - in complete agreement with the text my friend sent this morning which simply said: "Ow... legs!" [Eek!] Despite that I've notched another 1 hour of walking today, taking me to 16 hours 45 minutes.

One hour building a toboggan launcher and sliding with a six year old and a three year old. Sweating in -15 degree weather, gotta love winter in Canada!

Running total: 21 hours

93mins of walking

Today...

30 minutes cycling - commute
1 hour dancing - I did a 1 and a half hour ballroom and latin class and I think that's about the amount of time I spent actively doing something.
30 minutes cycling - to and from dance class.

Most of the cycling was done in the pouring rain. I think I preferred the cold snap.

Anyway, running total: 19 hours 4 minutes.

Rachel.

Went to Boat Show today.
Spent HOURS walking around show (miles! for those who don't know it the exhibition hall is enormous) but I doubt that counts.
Saw a remarkably athletic show and a live interview with Sam Davies (just out of the Southern Ocean)(as if the poor girl hasn't got enough to do)). Which doesn't count either though it makes me tired just looking.
And spent lots of dosh, which doesn't count.
What does count is the walk between home/rail stations/Underground/Docklands Light Railway/exhibition. At least 2 miles / 30 minutes, thus running total 16h 50 m.

40 minutes walking today.

Auntie Doris x

I think I overdid it yesterday:

I cycled 35 minutes to uni, walked 20 minutes with friends to and from an interesting exhibition, cycled 10 minutes to indoor climbing, spent almost four hours at the climbing gym (which I'll count as 2 hours of activity) and then cycled 35 minutes home again. I'm so tired today that I haven't even been slacklining! Yet...

Total for post: 3 hrs 40
Running total: 20 h 30

Monday (cont):
15 mins bike to friends' house and carrying bike up the stairs (why do all my friends live so high?)
20 mins walk at lunch time
20 mins walk home
Tuesday (so far):
10 mins walk to uni

Total for this post:
65 minutes or 1 hour and 5 minutes

Running total
457 minutes or 7 hours and 37 minutes

40 minutes cycling this morning - running total 16 hours 30 minutes.

Mon 12: 90 mins walking (to the pub and back! I hadn't originally planned on walking back but by the time I'd walked to the busstop I thought I might as well continue!)

Running total 17 hours 35 mins. I think.

35 minutes cycling this evening - running total 17 hours 5 minutes.

30 mins brisk walk up and down a small hill. Very scenic. All frosty and pretty.

Total 10hrs 20 min.

2 hr 15 min
Made up of 1 hr 20 min Gym plus direct walk to then roundabout-town walk back plus walk to station yesterday.

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
Will you have to have replacement hips one day?

I don't know. I suppose the chances are good that I will; my mother had both her hips replaced six years ago--and she was only 53 years old. She was/is about 80# overweight, and the additional weight puts extra strain on her joints that aggravates her arthritis.

I'm overweight too, and am hoping to stave off hip replacement as long as possible for myself by getting more fit and slimming down. It's going to take a permanent lifestyle change, and to that end, I joined Overeaters Anonymous back in October. To date I've lost 10#, but the biggest differences in myself I've noticed are in being more calm, serene, forgiving, feeling that I'm drawing closer to God and finally experiencing freedom from obsessing about food (either by eating too much or rigidly controlling and writing down what I do eat). So the weight loss is really just a bonus.

On Friday I did another 1 hour, 15 minutes of vigorous housework, and last night I swam for 30 minutes. My running toal is 5 hours.

55 minute brisk walk around a lake, today, and a 45 minute swim yesterday (it was too wet to walk, so I decided I might as well get even wetter!)

Total so far: 7 hrs.

Another 55min walking taking me to a total of 8 hours and 45 mins.

Just 30 minutes of cycling today - commuting to and from work. It didn't rain or snow on me once. Amazing.

Running total: 19 hours 34 minutes

All the best,

Rachel.

Auntie Doris x

30 mins of walking today & 15 mins of chasing a toddler around, picking him up etc in an attempt to get him to calm down/behave...

One hour walking on the treadmill watching Oprah and Ellen.

Running total: 22 hours

Monday: 45 mins walking
Tuesday: 25 mins walking, 27 mins stairstepping

30 minutes walking

Today - Walking along canal towpath with Mrs B, 1 hour 15 minutes
plus errand, walking 20 minutes
total for day 1 hour 35 minutes
running total 18 hours 25 minutes

[ 13. January 2009, 22:05: Message edited by: blackbeard ]

Seized the opportunity to spend 45 minutes building a toboggan run outside my house (is minus 6 tonight and going down to -22 to -30 in the next two days) complete with steps alongside and a good "groove" for safety [Big Grin]

Running total: 22 hours 45 minutes

I'm going to claim an hour's rigorous ironing of unnecessaries yesterday seeing as every effort I made to go out and get some exercise was thwarted in some way, shape or form and I did throw myself into the ironing with a vengeance!

This morning has been so beautiful that I've been out for a walk - 1 hour and 20 minutes.

I'm hoping to manage a trip to the gym later, but it's going to be a bit tricky to fit it in. Either that or I'll go and have a lie down!

So, Curiosity, please can you add two hours and twenty minutes to my running (running? sauntering, mor like!) total.

Tuesday (cont):
10 mins walk home
30 mins walk round trip to housegroup
Wednesday (so far):
10 mins walk to uni

Total for this post:
50 minutes

Running total
507 minutes or 8 hours and 27 minutes

Bit more dancing in the next four days ought to help.

1 hr 30 min

The Walk. Lovely day - clear bue sky, just a little breeze. Birds singing quite a lot.

chicklegirl
Thank you for your response. Good luck!

25 minutes walking with PeteC this afternoon, running total 17 hours 30 minutes.

One hour yoga. Then waited for an hour to take a Cardio Glide class but aftershave man was there again and I couldn't stay. Am royally mad.

Ten minutes treadmill trying to breathe - ventolin and a charcoal mask do not a successful workout make.

Running total: 23 hours 55 minutes

I failed to make it to the gym, so parked my car well outside town and walked there and back again to do a few errands which simply would not wait. While I don't think I can justify claiming the half hour I mooched amongst the bookshelves in Waterstones, I think I can happily claim the forty minutes of brisk walking it took me to get there.

1 hour & 20 mins of walking today, plus 10, mins of picking kids up for hugs/dancing etc...

An hour from me today, 30 minutes walking and 30 minutes yoga
19½ hours running total

Ok, Monday, Tuesday and today total of 1 hour 20 walking. This morning's getting ready to leave the house should probably count, given the speed at which I had to do it after sleeping in, but I'll leave that out! I spent the day at work tidying and cleaning (as in vacuuming!) one of the archive store-rooms, and doing a lot of running about, which I'm going to count as 2 and a half hours of exercise.

Which brings the total for this post to 3 hours 40 minutes, and makes me feel less guilty for not making the gym yet this week!

93mins yesterday and 92mins today, both walking.

Today...

35 minutes stretching and circuit training

30 minutes commuting by bike

Running total: 20 hours 39 minutes

All the best,

Rachel.

35 minutes walking yesterday, and another 55 minutes today, taking my total to 18 hours 15 minutes.

One hour plus (was more than an hour but not sure how much more - will round it to five minutes to get to an even measure again) sliding outside my house and building new toboggan launchers and runs with my neighbours' two grandchildren in -23 degree weather. Had a great time.

Running total: 25 hours

Weds 14th: 2 hrs walking - all in heels!

(half hour walk round with friend whilst waiting for lunchtime restaurant to open - not very speedy but better than nothing; 2 x 30mins station to meeting and back, one set very fast indeed despite heels as I was, er, in need of the smallest room; 2 x 15 mins to church and back)

All of which sort of makes up for doing absolutely nothing yesterday.

Total 19 hours 35 mins I think.

[ 14. January 2009, 20:37: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

60 minutes in the gym
15 minutes hoovering

Auntie Doris x

45 minutes around the block and up and back to the pub on breaks.

More walking:

Tue Jan 13: 20 minutes
Wed Jan 14: 45 minutes

IIRC my previous running total as 5 hr 30 min, that puts my new running total to:
6 hr 35 min.

Another hour swimming yesterday, bringing my total up to 5 hours.

Wednesday (cont):
20 mins walk to the car to go to friends' flat for tea (more stairs, but I'm not counting them - wasn't carrying a bike!)
30 mins dancing out of a two-hour class, really wasn't meant to be that way but what can you do when there's no plan and beginners show up who need teaching?
Thursday (so far):
10 mins walk to uni

Total for this post:
60 minutes

Running total
567 minutes or 9 hours and 27 minutes

Hopefully I'll get to do a bit more dancing this evening - I don't have to call or teach anything. And the weekend could be a source of all sorts of activity - we'll just have to see.

Wednesday 14th: 80 mins walking

To the Pain I make you up to 10h 17m

For me today, so far, 1¼ hours 1 hour setting up and taking down toddler church and 15 minutes aerobically leading songs,
Running total: 20h 45m

40 minutes cycling into town this afternoon followed by 50 minutes walking with PeteC making my running total 19 hours.

Ten minutes of step class in a gym where smelly aftershave man had taught a class the evening before. Breathing is underrated.

30 mins walk to the station, 1.5 hours of swimming, plus 1 hour round trip into work today... Have I hit 20 hours yet?

30 mins in gym

Total 10 hrs 50 mins

1 hr 30 min

Tap class + roundabout route to and from.

quote:
Originally posted by Freelance Monotheist:
Have I hit 20 hours yet?

I make you're on 24h 10m (an hour behind lily pad who has done the most so far).

There are several people who've done more than 20 hours:
lily pad 25h 10m,
Freelance Monotheist 24h 10m
me 20h 45m
the famous rachel 20h 39m
Ultracrepidarian 20h 30m
Susan Doris 20h 20m

Another swim - 45 minutes - and a 2hr 10m walk around a different lake (do you spot a 'Water' theme emerging here?), taking me to 9h55m so far.

14 Jan - went down to boat, pretended to do various maintenance jobs (see under "messing about in boats"), returned home feeling less than energetic, retired to bed early-ish. So absolutely NOTHING to add for this day's lack of genuine activity.
15 Jan - 30 minutes walking and 1 hour 20 minutes cycling by canal/river. Thus 1 hour 50 minutes for a running total of 20 hours and 15 minutes.

35 minutes cycling today - commute plus diversion to cash machine.

Running total: 21 hours 14 minutes.

All the best,

Rachel.

Today. Walking fairly briskly from the car park to the hos[ital and back. 30 minutes .

1 hour 35 mins in the last two days, taking me to a total of 10 hours and 10 mins

Surfing Madness, I make that 10h 20m running total.

I've got another 30 minutes yoga to declare.

Another 93mins walking today

1 hour 30 of walking to the shops, round the shops and home. Made to that amount of time by realising I'd forgotten something and doing the trip twice...

[ 15. January 2009, 21:38: Message edited by: Scots lass ]

Closing in on the 20 hour club - 25 minutes walking today, taking me up to 18 hours 40 minutes.

45 minutes cycling this morning - running total 19 hours 45 minutes.

60 minutes at pilates last night.

Auntie Doris x

quote:
Surfing Madness, I make that 10h 20m running total.

At school my mental arithmetic was good, other than when it came to time, and the whole concept of only going to 60 not 100 caused me problems. Looks like nothings changed!!!

quote:
To the Pain I make you up to 10h 17m

Hmmm... that's strange. I've done the maths again out of my posts and I get
5th posted 10 mins
6th posted 10 mins
8th posted 70 mins (which was where my maths went wrong before)
9th posted 100 mins
12th posted 202 mins
13th posted 65 mins
14th posted 50 mins
15th posted 60 mins
from which I make 567 minutes or 9 hours and 27 minutes - I'll take another 50 minutes if you like, but I don't think I deserve them [Biased]

Thursday (cont):
40 mins dancing - I sat out a couple this week
Friday (so far):
10 mins walk to uni

Total for this post:
60 mins

Running total (I think!):
627 minutes or 10 hours and 27 minutes

OK, I've worked out how I did that one - 10h 27m it is To the Pain. I've been entering by the days you did the exercise, not the days you have been posting (cos it's what I've been doing for everyone).

1 hr 35 min

Swimming (30 Min) walk to/from; walk to town and Tesco; taxi home.

1 hour & a half of walking throughout today...
Shopping in Paris tomorrow so will clock up some more hours_I must be nearing 30 by now, right?

15 minutes walking to and from the car park to the job today.

Anticipated 20 minutes from the car park to the jobsite tomorrow and Sunday.

quote:
OK, I've worked out how I did that one - 10h 27m it is To the Pain. I've been entering by the days you did the exercise, not the days you have been posting (cos it's what I've been doing for everyone).

Sorry for the treble post: How did the rest of us do?

Longish walk around local pond with Mrs B, 1 h 40 min
+ walk to/from choir prac 30 min
total 2 h 10 min and running total now 22 h 25 min

30 minutes yoga from me and ow!

Sir Kevin, I make you up to 2h 25m, not counting your predicted times because I'm not counting times in advance. I have been posting everyone's times on a Sunday, and only posting corrections when I don't agree someone's total.

1 hour 15 minutes walking today, would have been longer if it hadn't started raining. Running total = 19 hours 55 minutes.

Thursday: arsing about, interspersed with short bouts of faffing around, sadly, so: 0
Friday: 45 mins cycling

Friday evening 35 minutes with Pete round the temple circuit.

Saturday morning 20 minutes to the fish market and back but not including time there plus 40 minutes cycling across town and back.

Running total 21 hours 20 minutes.

30 mins swimming yesterday.

Total 11 hrs 20 mins.

Another 45 minutes to town and back this afternoon followed by a walk with Pete for 90 minutes.

Running total 23 hours 35 minutes.

1 hr 35 min

The Walk, plus diversion round town to shops.

[ 17. January 2009, 13:03: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

Walk in the country - 1 hour. Lovely crisp day.

Total- 12 hours 20 mins.

I seem to be thwarted at every turn as far as getting some exercise is concerned. But I managed 45 minutes at the gym on Thursday (followed by an hour and a bit luxuriating in the spa, but I don't suppose I can count that, can I?)

This morning I did the coffees and teas at Music Centre. It may not count as exercise as such, but it was three hours of physical activity and the ache in my muscles certainly suggested I'd been doing something worthwhile, so could I count one hour of that towards the fitness race? I walked for a total of thirty minutes to the shops and back and up to meet my son walking home in the dark from his friend's (kind mummy that I am) and managed thirty minutes in the gym - I wish I'd known they close at 5 on a Saturday, I'd have gone earlier!

2 hours walk to get outside in the nice weather, shame about the muddiness underfoot.

Friday: 30 minutes of walking. It would have been more, but work was so busy I didn't have time to go out at lunchtime! (10 of those minutes were walking to the takeaway and back in the evening, which probably more than cancelled out any good I did!).

Today: 45 minutes walking. Having to work on a Saturday really gets in the way of exercise...

Which means the total for this post is 1 hour 15 minutes. And the way next week's looking, I don't think I'm going to be able to get to the gym then either!

Two hours walking today. Had to do that much to walk off the cream tea... and supper in the pub. [Disappointed]

Auntie Doris x

I climbed 9 flights of stairs this morning after work, plus a short walk from convention hall for a total of 15 minutes.

quote:
30 minutes yoga from me and ow!

Sir Kevin, I make you up to 2h 25m, not counting your predicted times because I'm not counting times in advance. I have been posting everyone's times on a Sunday, and only posting corrections when I don't agree someone's total.

Ta! Cheers!

Slightly disorganised Knotweed checking in, having managed to forget to post all week despite the net connection being back up all week... [Hot and Hormonal]

Anyway, getting home on the 9th was another 35 minutes. Since I had a rather nasty cough, I did absolutely nothing energetic all last weekend (I was wandering about the meadow taking piccies on Sunday 11th, but I'm not counting that as I was going very s..l..o..w to avoid coughing fits).

This week:
Total to add in this post of 9 hours 10 minutes, which makes the running total 15 hours 55 minutes.

35 minutes walking today, making the total 20 hours 30 minutes. Hmmm... maybe I need to start doing something other than walking, as it accounts for over 75% of the exercise I've done so far...

4.5 hours of walking round the shops today... My feet are sore!

30 minutes yoga yesterday and 40 minutes hauling crates of fairtrade goods up to Church and collecting tables from the back room. Running total 24h 55m

Freelance Monotheist, that puts you up to 30h 10m

Apologies for all the posts from me, it gives me a marker as to where I've entered up to.

Walking to and from church, via shop for milk. 20 mins

Total 12 hours 40 mins.

Thu Jan 15: 10 minutes walking. I've been parking in the far parking lot to be sure I get at least this minimum of daily exercise, walking to and from.

Fri Jan 16: 15 minutes walking. Was supposed to have Pilates to add as well, but running late backed into a truck on the way out of my driveway, and decided a good liedown was in order instead.

Sat Jan 17: 10 minutes walking a little bit fast on treadmill. This is my New Year's Resolution to get some serious cardio exercise in.

25 minutes ice-skating. Hadn't skated since last spring. Oooh it felt good (if challenging for out-of-shape feet and shins) to really work my muscles. I can't push myself this hard during regular streetwalking (ahem).

Running total: 7 hr 35 min.

45 minutes walking this evening not including a very pleasant interlude in the garden of the house of a neighbour where PeteC drank cardamom flavoured tea and where we got invited to a wedding on 1st March - that will be a Muslim wedding and on 1st February we are off to a Hindu wedding - yes, it is wedding season here.

A very lovely walk (with the Smudgelet on his bike, apart from the few moments when I managed to nick it off him and ride, knees in nostrils, a zigzag evasive route down the paths with him running like crazy to catch me up [Big Grin] ) along the Merstone to Newport cycle path and back. I didn't keep a note of precise timings, but seeing that we walked an extra stretch that I didn't do last time, and seeing that I was keeping up quite an efficient pace, I think I can claim two hours for today.

I didn't do anything at all on Friday - although I sat on buses for about 7 hours which was somehow a lot more tiring than doing exercise, but sadly less useful.

Yesterday, I went running for 53 minutes and did 20 minutes associated stretching. Sadly this wasn't enough stretching since I have very sore legs today. I also walked for 1 hour and 40 minutes getting to and from the pub we went to for dinner.

Today, despite tired legs, I went out on my road bike and cycled for about 3 hours and 30 minutes. My legs are now truly knackered, so I've given up on the other activity I had planned for today.

Hence, running total: 27 hours and 37 minutes.

All the best,

Rachel.

Edited for spelling - R.

[ 18. January 2009, 15:41: Message edited by: the famous rachel ]

Checking in after another week...

6 x 30 mins cycling to town/work & back. Plus 3x 15 mins heading into town and back from work.
20mins getting to ringing and back and 45mins ringing all-told.
20mins this evening walking round with the Knotweed between taking photos.
and 1hr gardening on the allotment. Anyone who saw what I was doing with the wheelbarrow will realise that I really am a s***-stirrer!

I make that 6hrs 10 to add to 11 hrs 15 making a total of:

17hrs 25 minutes

AG

[ 18. January 2009, 15:59: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

Right, today's load of exercise: 10 minutes getting to and from church; 15 minutes ringing; and a stretch of wandering round with Sandemaniac, both of us taking pictures, which we've reckoned counts as 20 minutes actual activity (despite being out for about an hour!).

That's a total of 45 minutes, bringing my running total to 16 hours 40 minutes.

Fri 16th - 104mins
Sat 17th - 72 mins
Sun 18th - 100mins

Friday 16th. 1 hour
Saturday 17th. 1 hr 40 min + 40 min.
Sunday 18th. 20 min.

Details suddenly appeared in a Goggle request - how did I get there? [Frown]

I make it 2hrs 40 for the week - that total will go up when I get my bicycle: I shall also be able to tabulate miles because it will have a speedometer and odometer.

[Yipee]

NOWT on Saturday.
Today (Sunday) a mere 30 minutes walking.
total to date 22 h 55 min

An hour of walking today.

And another 30 minutes yoga for me

Totals at the end of this week are now:
  1. Freelance Monotheist 31h 10m
  2. the famous rachel 27h 37m
  3. me 25h 25m
  4. lily pad 25h 10m
  5. Wiff Waff 24h 20m
  6. Susan Doris 23h 30m
  7. blackbeard 22h 55m
  8. = Stevie Boy Wonder 20h 30m
    = Ultracrepidarian 20h 30m
  9. Sandemaniac 19h 50m
  10. Yangtze 19h 35m
  11. Celtic Knotweed 16h 40m
  12. Smudgie 16h 35m
  13. PaulM 16h 25m
  14. Scots lass 15h 10m
  15. pimple 13h 20m
  16. North East Quine 12h 40m
  17. Auntie Doris 12h 20m
  18. Meg the Red 11h 45m
  19. To the Pain 10h 27m
  20. Surfing Madness 10h 20m
  21. Chorister 9h 55m
  22. Joan of Quark 8h 37m
  23. Autenrieth Road 7h 35m
  24. Cottontail 5h 55m
  25. = Angus McDangley 5h 0m
    = chicklegirl 5h 0m
  26. comet 3h 25m
  27. philip99a 2h 45m
  28. Sir Kevin 2h 40m
  29. Nunzia 50m

and still quite a few people who haven't posted yet

Saturday: presumably vigorous coughing doesn't count, so 0
Sunday: 45 mins walking

I'm currently battling the latest in a long series of bugs this winter, so I've cut down as many commitments as possible, and I'm planning to add some mild indoor exercise back in as soon as I feel a bit better. I am SICK of this (grr).

90 minutes walking today.

Auntie Doris x

Bit of a lazy day today - 15 minutes walking. Total = 20 hours 45 minutes.

Thurs 15th: 1 hour walking past Hagia Sophia the great Byzantine church and the Blue Mosque and along the Bosphorus at night, lights all a twinkle.

Fri 16th: 15 mins walking (a much less glamorous day in a factory!)

Sat 17th: practically the whole day spent walking though none of it particularly fast - around the Topkapi palace and the Harem (no sniggering now), round the Hagia Sophia and then over the bridge and exploring the raucous nightlife of Istanbul (OK, I'll stop now) - I'm going to count 4 and a half hours of it.

Sun 18th: 25 mins walking

Which I think comes to 25 hours 45 mins

quote:

That's how I confused myself last time - my personal spreadsheet now has columns for both so that I can try to make sure they add up at my end. Don't know how long they will though.

Friday (cont):
20 mins walk to find my lift to the train station with a small suitcase and a flask of hot water
Saturday:
150 mins dancing (workshop 10.30-3.30 but the first half hour was spent with cups of tea, we had an hour for lunch and spent the last half hour finding out exactly how hideous the costumes are that have been made for the youth demonstration team)
10 mins walk to coffee
10 mins walk home from the metro
Sunday:
30 mins walk home from the station, complete with aforementionned suitcase
Monday (so far):
10 mins walk to uni

Total for this post:
240 mins or 4 hours

Running total:
867 minutes or 14 hours and 27 minutes

PS - I lost track of 10 minutes while posting this but then I found it again. CK I don't know how you can possibly keep track of so many people's times [Overused]

3 hr 50 min

This comprises:
Sunday: Swim plus walk to/from; plus, thanks to motivation of the Race, walk in afternoon too.
Monday: Gym, plus walk to/from.

1 hour walking with PeteC this evening - total so far 25 hours 20 minutes.

Sun Jan 18: 45 minutes walking (10 regular, 35 treadmill speedily).

Running total: 8 hrs 20 mins.

Another 1hour 45mins, i work out my running total when i'm more awake!!

1 hour 20 minutes in the gym today.

Auntie Doris x

40 minutes walking today - running total 21 hours 25 minutes.

1 hour & v20 mins of walking-here's hoping I can keep my lead!

Today's count: 30 minutes getting to work; 10 minutes work to sports centre; 15 minutes swimming (the place was shut Easter-November for re-building [Frown] and I'm out of practice); 20 minutes getting home again. That's a total of 1 hour 15 minutes, running total now 17 hours 55 minutes.

Finally, I get to post. I joined the Y last week, very near my house. It has both a gym for workouts and a good sized pool. And classes which are free with membership.
So today, 12 minutes on the crosstrainer, and about (I'm estimating because part of the time I was being shown the equipment and part of the time I was doing the reps) 20 minutes on various weight machines.
Ugh, I am so out of shape. 10 minutes (and on minimal resistance) wore me out, and I used to be able to do close to 30.

Today, despite exhausted legs...

30 minutes cycling - commuting to and from work

1 hour ballroom and latin dancing (estimated time spent doing something useful during a 1 and a half hour class).

Hence, running total: 29 hours and 7 minutes.

However, my legs are so worn out that I'm not going to do much tomorrow!

All the best,

Rachel.

104 mins walking today.

Another longish walk by waterside (at least it's more or less level) 2 h 50 m
and some exercises designed to stop things going pear shaped 15 m
thus today 3 h 05 m
and running total 26 h 00 m

40 minutes cycling with the dawn - running total 26 hours.

Alrighty. I have been doing things (and taking note of them); I just haven't got around to posting them yet.

Tuesday 13th: 40 minutes cycling with my little sister.

Wednesday 14th: The day began with 1 hr 10 slacklining in the morning. I spent a total of 1 hr 15 cycling to get places (home-uni, uni-cliff, cliff-home) and a small amount of time climbing and bouldering in the evening (20 mins of exercise, say).

Thursday 15th: 20 minutes slacklining.

Friday 16th: 1 hour slacklining, 40 minutes cycling to the indoor climbing gym, 2 hrs worth of climbing and 40 minutes cycling home.

Saturday 17th: 20 minutes slacklining, 15 minutes cycling to the shops, 40 minutes cycling to a mate's party.

Sunday 18th: Went to Mt Coolum. Probably only spent 30 minutes doing actual climbing, but there was also 30 minutes of bushwalking and I took 40 minutes to cycle my bike home from my mate's place.

Monday 19th: Zip. Nada. Spent the day reading Harry Potter and occasionally helping around the house.

Tuesday 20th: Pretty much the same. Nothing substantial enough to report in the exercise department.

I make that 11 hrs for the week for a total of 31 hrs 30, but I'm very open to correction (I got something different when I first added it up...).

Mon 19th: like UltraC I did absolutely nothing :-(

Tues 20th: 45 mins walk/run.

And hopefully I'll do some walking later to make up for yesterday's lapse.

Total so far 26 hours 30 mins I think.

[ 20. January 2009, 11:39: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

Another one who didn't do anything yesterday, but I've started making up for that with 2 hours cleaning out one of the bin stores - it meant moving 15 out of the 20 bikes now stored there in and out and sweeping up 5 bags of wet and rotting leaves, so lots of bending, twisting and squatting, particularly around the 5 bikes I couldn't move (chained to the wall)! I don't think that job has been done for three years and the store has a beech tree overhanging, so much of the leaf litter was turning to compost and some of the bikes were beginning to root to the ground.

Monday (cont):
Tuesday (so far):
10 mins walk to uni

Total for this post:
20 mins

Running total:
887 minutes or 14 hours and 47 minutes

I think the rest of this week will be fairly standard but the weekend's getting rapidly packed out with active things - we'll see how I do...

Mon Jan 19:

Running total: 8 hrs 20 mins.

Mon Jan 19: 40 minutes snow shoveling. 35 minutes walking, largely through unshoveled snow.

Running total: 9 hrs 35 mins

P.S. ignore my accidental post two up with the blank Mon Jan 19. Pressed the wrong button from my PDA and it doesn't load fast enough for me to have recovered.

Nasty cold, so taking it easy.

Yesterday - 30 min walking.
Today - 30 min walking.

20 min

Another 45 minutes today, taking me up to 22 hours 10 minutes.

35 minutes walking today.

Auntie Doris x

1.5 hours of walking throughout the day.

Monday: nada
today, Tuesday: 45 mins cycling (indoors on a turbo-trainer, aka The Road to Nowhere)
off to bed with hot lemon and honey now to continue being good and convalescing

Tues 20th ctnd: another 15 mins walking to add to the earlier figure

Tuesday's times: 30 minutes getting to work; 35 minutes getting home.

Total today 1 hour 5 minutes, running total 19 hours. Might get a bit more done tomorrow!

Another walking day (fact is, I scared myself a bit with how unfit I had become, and holidays tend to involve a lot of walking so I need to be able to cover a lot of ground).
So, along canal towpath - further than usual and involving a lot of new ground. 3 h 15 m, then train home which included 10 m station - home. Plus some more exercises antipearshapedness 15 m.
So 3 hours 40 minutes.
Running, or walking, total 29 hours and 40 minutes.

A trip to the city this morning, dashing from shop to shop - I managed to sit down a few minutes in the travel agent but other than that was on my feet the whole time - I reckon 90 minutes walking would be a minimum estimate.

Running total 27 hours 30 minutes.

Yesterday was somewhat scuppered due to travelling most of the day and sitting in meetings for the rest of it, but I did manage to walk up and down the railway platform waiting for my delayed train, to run up and down and up and down the stairs from platform to platform trying to find where to catch said train, and some time walking quickly to avoid the chill between carpark and boat, so I think I can justify scraping one hour's worth of exercise in total.

I need to add in another 35 minutes yoga to yesterday's totals, running total: 28 hours

Sunday: 25 minutes of walking, plus extensive slumping on sofa
Monday: 30 minutes of walking
Tuesday: 30 minutes walking
Today so far: 15 minutes, but about to go out again...

Total for this post: 1 hour 40

1 hr 40 min

The Walk, plus bit extra, plus a bit of skipping.

2 hours 40 minutes so far this week - a combination of swimming and walking again, added to the 9h55m already makes 12h35m in total if my maths skills are not too rusty.

(you didn't see that I made it 11.35 at the first attempt, did you? [Roll Eyes] )

Evening of Jan. 20th: 15 min. serious housework

Jan. 21: 1 hour, 10 min gym workout

(ack, I am so out of shape!)

70 minutes in the gym
10 minutes walking.

I feel knackered today!

Auntie Doris x

1 hour of walking today.

30 minutes commuting by bike today, and similarly 30 minutes commuting by bike yesterday.

Running total: 30 hours and 7 minutes

Rachel.

Yesterday: 40 minutes.
Today: 20 minutes. Walking.

30 mins in gym

Total 14 hrs 10 mins.

Further 30 minutes walking to add.

Today: Longish walk (surprise!) in this case around Guildford including Chinthurst Tower and St Martha's.
4 h 15 m
and running total 33 h 55 m

I am counting 1 hour of the three hours cleaning (the sort where you pull everything out and clean behind) and 25 minutes walking today. Yoga got lost in phone calls this evening and I needed food too much to stop for another half an hour's exercise. Running total: 29h 25m

1 hour 50 minutes of walking today, bringing me up to a nice (sort of) round 24 hours.

What with travelling, settling in back home, rotten weather, etc., I haven't done much recently. However, my careful tally reveals:
4 hrs 45 mins walking since last post.

45 minutes walking with PeteC yesterday evening - running total 28 hours 15 minutes.

30 minutes Wednesday fast walking from the carpark to the stadium and through the tunnels inside the stadium.

Wednesday included 1 hour 10 of cycling to and from the cliffs and about 1 hour 30 of climbing, bouldering and other such activities.

Today I've cycled in to uni in about 35 minutes and I'll be cycling home (and/or to climbing) pretty soon...

Running total: 34 hr 45

Weds 21st: 60 mins walking

Thurs 22nd: 1 hour walk/run round park

Total 28 hrs 45 mins I think

Tuesday (cont):
10 mins walk home
30 mins round trip to housegroup
Wednesday:
20 mins walk to friends' flat
30 mins round trip to campus for lunch
20 mins walk home
60 mins dancing
Thursday (so far):
10 mins walk to uni

Total for post:
180 mins or three hours

Running total:
1067 minutes or 17 hours and 47 minutes

Tue Jan 20: vile cold, hence zip.

Wed Jan 21: 10 minutes snow shoveling due to the snow plow's need to come by and neaten the edges of the road, reblocking my front path in the process. I would [Roll Eyes] but hey I got more activity out of it, so not so bad.

Also 40 minutes walking.

Running total: 10 hrs 25 mins. Yay, double-digit club!

So far (hoping to do some yoga later) 1 hour setting up and taking down toddler church, including 10 minutes leading action songs aerobically (it's cold, I choose the songs and I choose songs that keep me warm).

Running total 30h 25m - and I was aiming for 33h by now [Frown]

[ 22. January 2009, 13:14: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

45 minutes walking with PeteC tonight followed by 15 minutes cycling to the village and back.

Running total 29 hours 15 minutes.

1 hr 30 min

Tap class, plus walk to, then to/from Library.

One hour at the gym today.

Posted by daisydaisy (# 12167) on :

I don't think 5 mins copying my XBX chart today counts, but hopefully I will be able to add a few minutes each day when I get around to doing it.

45 mins in gym.

Total - 14 hrs 55min

Just 30 minutes walking today - and lots of sitting on trains.

Running total: 30 hours and 37 minutes

Rachel.

30 mins of walking.

1 hour 15 minutes walking today; total = 25 hours 15 minutes.

90 minutes cleaning.
60 minutes pilates.

My stomach muscles hurt!

Auntie Doris x

Wednesday: 35 minutes getting to work, and 30 getting home. Not bad for frozen roads in the morning!

Thursday: 30 minutes to work; 30 minutes homewards; 40 minutes getting to church, ringing up, ringing practice, ringing down, getting to the pub, and getting home (this isn't counting the time standing about between rings or sitting talking in the pub!).

Total for post 2 hours 45 minutes, running total is now 21 hours 45 minutes.

Wednesday: 40mins walking
Thursday: 40 mins yoga and 15 mins carrying piles of books and papers up and down stairs (de-cluttering project)

And an additional 50 minutes, 30 mins yoga and 20 mins walking (to the post office to post a mug and other chores).

Have been not very good for the last few days so have only 40 mins to report.

[Hot and Hormonal] I was the PE coach at two schools but got no exercise; perhaps tomorrow I could walk between the schools in the rain! [Hot and Hormonal]

Thursday (cont):
50 mins walk into town, around then home
60 mins dancing
Friday (so far):
10 mins walk to uni

Total for this post:
120 mins or 2 hours

Running total:
1187 minutes or 19 hours and 47 minutes

Sauntered, semi-exhausted, half way home from w*rk. 35 minutes.

[I claim sauntering as authentically aerobic when one would rather be carried...]

Thu Jan 22: 40 minutes walking

Running total: 11 hrs 5 mins

45 minutes walking with Pete this evening - running total 30 hours.

One hour at the gym this morning.

1 hr 45 min

Gym, plus walk to/from.
By the way, I was thinking about housework - but fortunately my neighbour and I recently arranged with a local cleaning service to come once a fortnight. It is just lovely to know that I don't have to do it myself! Mind you, having only a simple, smallish house, it wouldn't add much to my fitness times.

Thurs 22nd ctnd: another 15 mins walking to add to earlier walk/run

Fri 23rd: 30 mins walking

2 hours & 15 mins of walking throughout the day

1 hour today, made up of 20 minutes walking around doing chores (including posting a mug) and 40 minutes yoga.

Thursday: 30 minutes of walking.

Today: 30 minutes of walking and an unbelievably long meeting that sapped my energy to do anything else for the rest of the day, aside from getting home at 5pm!

So a paltry 1 hour for this post, with the intention of being more active over the weekend!

Thursday 22 Jan - Nowt!
Friday 23 Jan - not much better, but 15 m antipearshaping and 15 + 15 m walking so total for two days is 45 minutes (must do better!)
and running/staggering total now 34 h 40 m

Today, Friday: 45 mins walking, 45 mins cycling

Late last night, I hiked up to my local Irish-American pub to hear Irish music played: it was a 30-minute round trip.

Friday 23rd:
Total for the day of 2 hours 50 minutes, running total now 24 hours 35 minutes.

25 minutes walking yesterday.

Auntie Doris x

Sat 24th: 1 hour walk/run so far for me today.

Running total 30 hrs 30 mins I think.

50 mins walking for me today.

35 minutes cycling this morning.

45 minutes walking this evening.

Running total 31 hours 20 minutes.

2 hrs 40 min

Perfect day for being out. The Walk,plus Bournemouth pier to Boscombe pier and on to Pokesdown station.
Went to Debenham's for swim suits - bought two ... new Deb card = 30% discount = one swimsuit free! Voucher for free cup of coffee so walked up three floors to get it!

3 hours today gardening

1 hr 45 mins of walking today.
Am knackered & wondering if I've hit 40 hours yet... I'm aiming for 50 by the end of the month, which should be achievable!

Ok, so on Tue-Fri I was helping out with an office move at my place of work. It involved a lot of physical activity that's definitely not part of my normal job (which is pretty much just sitting at a desk) like moving furniture, servers and packing crates, but also some lighter tasks and even some just hanging around. Having said that I definitely noticed the difference, especially the two nights we were there until midnight.

In addition I did a certain amount of my normal walking.

So using conservative estimates, I'm counting it this way:

Tues 98mins walking + 240mins moving = 338mins
Wed 50mins walking + 240mins moving = 290mins
Thu 50mins walking + 120mins moving = 170mins
Fri 50mins walking + 180mins moving = 230mins

and today I did a 97min walk.

Yesterday I cycled to and from work logging up 30 minutes.

Today, I did 40 minutes stretching and circuit training with light weigths and also 40 minutes cycling (home to friend's house to town to supermarket and then back home).

That brings my running total to: 32 hours 27 minutes

Rachel.

Edited to correct my adding up!

[ 24. January 2009, 17:52: Message edited by: the famous rachel ]

Fri Jan 23: 55 minutes Pilates plus 20 minutes walking

Running total: 12 hrs 20 mins

Today, a measly 45 minutes yoga, but I have done everything that needs to be prepared for Monday.

Edited to add that Freelance Monotheist, you haven't quite made 40 hours yet, you've done 39h 30 mins so far.

[ 24. January 2009, 19:04: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

Saturday: 24 mins stepping, 50 mins yoga

A busy couple of days, with 2 hours 20 minutes walking yesterday and another 2 hours 5 minutes today. Running total - 29 hours 40 minutes, I think.

Saw a physio on Wednesday evening about my suffering knee (from over-use of an exercise bike!)

After long inspections and many questions he's said I should use the exercise bike again but only on low resistance and build upo slowly. Yippee!

So Wednes 15 mins up and down the stairs to my office at work
+ 20 mins brisk walk into town and back

Thurs: 30 mins brisk walk after dropping my car off for a service and returning to pick it up

Today: 10 mins exercise bike
40 mins brisk walking

So far: 4 hrs 40 mins

philip99a, I make your total 5h 40m.

3 hours walking today.

Auntie Doris x

Friday, Jan. 23: 1 hr weights
12 min. crosstrainer

Total through Jan. 23: 3 hrs. 9 min.

slowly but surely getting going!

Sat 24th ctnd: another 1 hour 45 mins walking

That makes it 32 hours 15 mins I think.

I've passed my time for the last couple of races (hurrah) but am going to have to get my skates on to beat my first race time of 42 hours something.

Here's my week's efforts.
17:25 brought forward from last week.

5x30 150 mins commuting.
2x15 trips into town 0:30
20 mins walking round the Parks
30 mins two trips to Headington at ten minutes there and five back (it's a big hill!).
20 mins cycling up and down to cricket practice, with 60 mins of nets in between.
40 mins to-ing, from-ing and ringing practice, plus 25 mins similiarly for service.
1hr 10 dancing at a Burns' Supper, plus 30 mins getting there and back

I make that 7hrs 55 making a total thus far of 25hrs 20mins

Unfortunately my cold had come back for seconds, and I now ache from head to toe. Grr!

AG

Sat 24th:
Can't really count the 4 hours I spent on Saturday ambling round a book fair acquiring yet more books. All I've done so far today is 25 minutes getting to, getting back, and ringing for service.

Total for this post of 1 hour 25 minutes, making the running total 26 hours. I'm worried. I'm actually ahead of Sandemaniac! [Eek!] What's he forgotten to add in? [Paranoid]

Well I make Sandemaniac as not being able to add up his running total; I make that 28h 5m

One hour at the gym yesterday.

Today, I did 1 hour 33 minutes cycling and walking. It was meant to be a longer cycle ride without any walking, but the gears on my bike gave up part way round, and I got stuck in the highest gear, leaving me unable to get up hills. Hence, I walked up one hill and then decided discretion was the better part of valour and came home the short way.

I've also done 30 minutes in the garden digging farmyard manure into my emerging vegetable border.

Hence, running total: 34 hours 30 minutes

All the best,

Rachel.

100mins walking today

Sunday 25th (so far, there will be more): 1 hr 10 mins walking

33 hours 25 mins I think

[ 25. January 2009, 16:48: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

30 mins walking.

Total 14 hrs 40min

Sat 24 Jan - NOWT (again)
Sun 25 Jan (today) walk to church and back 15 + 15 m
plus LONG walk from home to various bits of home town that I hadn't seen for ages and had forgot existed, around lake and return, 3 hours
so total for today is 3 h 30 m
and running total 38 h 10 m

ability to walk a reasonable number of miles without undue grief seems to be returning, much to my relief

1 hr 5 min

Swim, plus walk to/from.

50 mins cycling today

1 hour made up of 40 minutes yoga plus 20 minutes walking - running total 34h.

Sunday 25th ctnd: 30 mins walking to church and back this evening

33 hours 55 mins I think

20 minutes walking about the shops.

Well, my intentions of being more active over the weekend were good, but not overly successful! A further 1 hour of walking to add, most of which was today...

Oh dear!

Sunday listing, as usual:

1. Freelance Monotheist 39h 0m
  2. Paul M 38h 34m
  3. blackbeard 38h 10m
  4. Ultracrepidarian 34h 45m
  5. Susan Doris 35h 40m
  6. the famous rachel 34h 30m
  7. Curiosity killed... 34h 0m
  8. Yangtze 33h 55m
  9. Wiff Waff 31h 20m
  10. Stevie Boy Wonder 29h 40m
  11. Sandemaniac 27h 45m
  12. Celtic Knotweed 25h 55m
  13. lily pad 25h 10m
  14. Auntie Doris 23h 0m
  15. Smudgie 20h 35m
  16. To the Pain 19h 47m
  17. Scots lass 19h 20m
  18. Joan of Quark 15h 16m
  19. NorthEast Quine 14h 40m
  20. Surfing Madness 13h 25m
  21. Autenrieth Road 12h 20m
  22. Meg the Red 11h 25m
  23. Cottontail 10h 40m
  24. philip99a 5h 40m
  25. = Angus McDangley 5h 0m
    = chicklegirl 5h 0m
  26. Sir Kevin 4h 0m
  27. comet 3h 25m
  28. Geneviève 3h 9m
  29. daisydaisy 3h 0m
  30. Nunzia 50m

edited to include Scots lass' post

[ 25. January 2009, 21:51: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

Another 35 minutes walking today, taking me past the 30 hour mark - 30 hours 15 minutes.

Another 2 hrs 30 mins chalked up over the weekend.

Running total = 13 hrs 10 mins.

30 mins brisk walking. But no cycling [Frown]

6hrs 10mins

Hmmm, an interesting weekend.

Friday (cont):
10 mins walk home
Saturday:
60 mins dancing at the Burns' Supper (which certainly didn't counteract having seconds)
Sunday:
15 mins walk to church
20 mins wimpy and slightly pathetic inline skating
Monday (fo far):
10 mins walk to uni

Total for this post:
115 minutes or 1 hour and 55 minutes

Running total:
1302 minutes or 21 hours and 42 minutes

Now there's a good start to a Monday morning - walking back from taking the car in to the garage instead of catching the bus.

I'm going to claim one and a half hours because a)I forgot to check the time when I set out from the garage but guess it was about 8.30 and b) I forgot to check the precise time I got in because by that time I was jogging rather than walking, in a decidedly cross-legged fashion....

15 mins walking yesterday & 1 hr 45 mins walking today.

Sat Jan 24: 15 minutes walking

Sun Jan 25: 45 minutes walking

Running total: 13 hrs 20 mins

Wow, I just noticed I have crept ahead of a 30 min/day average. I wonder if I can preserve that 50 minute edge till the end of the month. That would be cool.

45 minutes walking with Pete tonight - running total 32 hours 5 minutes.

1 hr 50 min

Gym, plus walk to/from.

1 hour walking yesterday
30 mins walking today

bring me up to the grand total of 3 and a half hours

I can notch up an extra thirty minutes of walking and swimming (in between lazing) this afternoon and shortly will be doing the thirty minute walk to meet my son from an after school club and bring him home.

And you'll be impressed to know (or rather, I am rather amazed at myself to report..) that I have deliberately left my car at the garage overnight so that I can walk to Newport to get it rather than having to get a friend to drive me there this evening.

Today: yet another canal/river walk on what's become a fairly standard route, about 9 miles I think give or take, and taking 2 h 50 m. Everywhere seems damp and dank but I'm hoping that green shoots will burst forth in the not too distant future ...
and the boots are waterproof still. Provided depth of puddle does not exceed height of boot.

and 15 m antipearshapedness exercises. The muscle is beginning to differentiate itself from the flab. Downside is that there seems to be more flab than I thought, presumably this is the reason trousers were getting tight.
anyway, 3 h 5 m today, giving a running total
41 hours 15 minutes
edited cos can't add up

[ 26. January 2009, 17:56: Message edited by: blackbeard ]

One hour sliding on Saturday.
One hour skating yesterday.

No hours at the gym due to the smelly aftershave man. Ask me if I am happy!

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
Ask me if I am happy!

Are you happy?

60 minutes at the gym.
10 minutes walking.

Auntie Doris x

[ 26. January 2009, 19:06: Message edited by: Auntie Doris ]

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
quote:
Ask me if I am happy!

Are you happy?

60 minutes at the gym.
10 minutes walking.

Auntie Doris x

NO!!! [Waterworks]

Thanks for asking though.

116mins walking

30 minutes to add today. Which doesn't quite get me up to the 20 hour mark. I'm blaming the impossibility of getting into classes in my gym, which is in no way irritating me immensely...

My knee is still sore. But did 10 mins on exercise bike this evening at lowest resistance and stretches afterwards.

Total: 6hrs 25mins

Am seeing the physio again tomorrow.

PS. Plus 1 hr very vigorous dancing at a Burns Night Supper.

Total to date: 7hrs 25mins

30 minutes out and back from the carpark to the jobsite today.

Monday (cont):
10 mins walk home from uni - there was going to be some additional walking or skating but I got hit by an odd travelling crisis and didn't leave uni til 8.45 and it was slippy around the flat when I got back.
Tuesday (so far):
60 mins walk to uni (I took the long way round, via the post office, a friend's house and said friend's exam venue, partly cos I won't get a walk to housegroup tonight)

Total for this post:
70 minutes or 1 hour and 10 minutes

Running total:
1372 minutes or 22 hours and 52 minutes

So it looks like I'll be able to average an hour of activity per day but I only started on the 5th so I'd like to see if I can average an hour of activity per day including the five zero-days I've got at the beginning. We shall see.

Mon 26th: 45 mins walk up to and around the park - very slow, was with pregnant friend and dog but hey it all counts right. Plus 15 mins much speedier walk back on my own and then another 20 mins walking later.

Total for the day 1 hour 20

Running total 34 hours 15 mins I think

psst, Yangtze, 35h 15m and rule number 1 says:
quote:
It has to be physical activity. It doesn't have to be overly strenuous as long as it's aerobic. After some discussion previously, house work and gardening counts, so long as it's aerobic and so serious welly is put into it, but music practice doesn't.
I'll leave that one up to your conscience.

I'm adding in 30 minutes of hauling shopping back and other rushing around so far today.

One hour and forty minutes walking into town to collect my car (we won't count the little diversion via one of my favourite cafes where I got lured into eating a slice of cake).

Thirty minutes yesterday doing industrial-strength ironing - of which I suspect there may be more today!

quote:
psst, Yangtze, 35h 15m and rule number 1 says:
quote:
It has to be physical activity. It doesn't have to be overly strenuous as long as it's aerobic. After some discussion previously, house work and gardening counts, so long as it's aerobic and so serious welly is put into it, but music practice doesn't.
I'll leave that one up to your conscience.

Oops I can't count - thanks for that.

Well, it definitely wasn't overly strenuous - but we were in fact out for well over an hour and I only counted 45 mins. And I tend not to count the odd 5 min speedy walks to the bus stop so I think my conscience is clear :-)

Monday, Jan. 26: 1 hr. weights and crosstrainer

Total: 4 hrs. 9 min.

30 minutes cycling today - to the village twice.

45 minutes walking with Pete.

Running total 33 hours 20 minutes.

I hope you agree that working my way through washing and ironing every single item of bedding in the house is worthy of counting - I hate those kingsize duvet covers! Add to that clambering up and down the bunk bed ladder to wrestle with making the Smudgelet's bed up and I can claim a virtuous one and a half hours of extra exertion.

2 hr 40 min

Gym, plus walk to/from, plus more walking later.

70 minutes at the gym.
10 minutes walking.

Auntie Doris x

144mins walking

Yesterday: 30 minutes cycling (commute) and 1 hour ballroom and latin dancing.

Today: 30 minutes cycling (commute)

Hence, running total: 36 hours and 30 minutes

Rachel.

And another 1 hour of yoga - the half hour I should have done yesterday before I did the youth centre session, and today's session afterwards. Running total 35h 30m

1 hour & 15 mins of walking throughout the day.

1 hours walking today. I wan't be able to post for the next few days computerless till the 1st/2nd Feb.

Monday: 40 mins walking, 30 mins declutter project

Tuesday: 40 mins walking, 75 mins circuitry and ferrous activities (in other words, I got back to circuit training and the free weights room for the first time since contracting The Plague, yay!

A couple of lazy days off work - just 10 minutes yesterday and 35 minutes today to report. Running total = 31 hours.

Sunday: hobbled aerowobically to w*rk and half way back, accompanied by a Derision of Robins ( sore feet? Why doesn't the fool fly? sniggersnigger - pass it on... ) 1 hour 25 min.

Monday: a series of short forced marches to catch busses, lift, cold... 1 hour.

Tuesday: Brisk amble from bus stop to garage. 20 min

Today: It's raining and I've got the car back and I'm not bl**dy walking anywhere. So there!

Sorry - miscalculated: Tuesday should have been 60 mins walking, not 40. (Everything else was right.)

Tuesday (cont):
Wednesday (so far):
10 mins walk to uni

Total for this post:
20 mins

Running total:
1392 minutes or 23 hours and 12 minutes

Off dancing tonight - will have to make an effort to dance myself rather than just yelling encouragement and instructions from the sidelines.

Oh, missed a bit from Monday:
20 mins walking down and up the hill to a seminar

Revised Running total:
1412 minutes or 23 hours and 32 minutes

Mon Jan 26: 30 minutes walking

Tue Jan 27: 40 minutes walking

Running total: 14 hrs 30 mins

70 minutes in the gym.

Auntie Doris x

45 min

Walking.

12h35m by last week. To that I need to add:

45 minute walk
20 minute walk
1 hour 5 min walk
45 mins swim
40 mins swim
55 mins table tennis

Total so far: 17h 5min.

Another sixty minutes in the gym, and boy can I feel it. (In fact, could I could it as double that cos it feels like it was double that! My sadistic instructor decided to increase ALL my settings!)

Tues 27th: Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Oh dear.

Weds 28th: 45 mins walk/run in the rain (and the run part is getting longer each time, hurrah) plus another 15 mins walking later on.

36h 15m I think

30 minutes cleaning up my house after the windows fitters left a huge mess.

Auntie Doris x

45 minutes shoveling about a metre of snow off a 10 x 10 x 5 metre deck before another 30 cm of snow arrives later today

119mins walking

1 hour of walking today.

Tue 27 Jan - went down to boat for a few hours maintenance, not normally a very physically demanding activity, but this time it involved about 15 minutes of pushing, shoving, pulling, huffing and puffing. Somewhat akin to house maintenance so I think I can claim said 15 minutes.
Today 28 Jan - semi ran to gym, gymmed (and about time too), staggered back, 1 h 15 m;
plus 30 min walking.
Total for both days thus 2 h.
And running total now 43 hours 15 minutes.

And another 45 minutes: 30 minutes yoga, 15 minutes of trying out weights and hauling the refreshments for a meeting (were heavy).

Alongside my now customary walking (1 hour 15 minutes today), I had a rare session of physical activity as part of my work day - 15 minutes shifting heavy boxes of booklets up and down corridors and hoisting them up onto shelves. Running total - 32 hours 30 minutes.

Today, 2 hours walking (and part of it was going to a fascinating meeting about art, not that that made me any fitter of course, but just thought I'd mention it.)

quote:
shoveling about a metre of snow off a 10 x 10 x 5 metre deck before another 30 cm of snow arrives later today

Ai yi yi!

Wed Jan 28: 30 minutes shoveling 30 cm of snow on its way up to lily pad. (Hope you get just the snow and not the lovely mix of snow, sleet, and freezing rain we're enjoying [Roll Eyes] here in the State of Starlight.)

15 minutes walking

Running total: 15 hrs 15 mins

[ 29. January 2009, 03:26: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

[Tangent= aerobics? Ye gods and little zits! I'd settle for being able to breathe! [/Tangent]

I'll have to crawl up Kanchenjunga to catch up on Saturday... [Frown]

[ 29. January 2009, 05:28: Message edited by: pimple ]

Wednesday (cont):
30 mins walk to friends' house
60 mins dancing
Thursday (so far):
10 mins walk to uni

Total for this post:

Running total:
1512 minutes or 25 hours and 12 minutes

45 minutes cycling into town and back this morning, quite fruitlessly as the shops were all closed.

Running total 34 hours 5 minutes.

quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
quote:
shoveling about a metre of snow off a 10 x 10 x 5 metre deck before another 30 cm of snow arrives later today

Ai yi yi!

Wed Jan 28: 30 minutes shoveling 30 cm of snow on its way up to lily pad. (Hope you get just the snow and not the lovely mix of snow, sleet, and freezing rain we're enjoying [Roll Eyes] here in the State of Starlight.)[/b]

The sun is shining. It is a beautiful day. Just in from one hour shovelling.

I was just walking back around from clearing out the back steps and could see the big plow coming up the hill so I waited at the end of my freshly cleaned driveway with my shovel. As he approached, he slowed down, lifted the side blade, passed my driveway leaving about a foot of snow, backed up and cleared most of it away!!! Had he plowed normally, I would have had about an hour more to do. I shovelled what was left, ran inside for a large bar of Cadbury's I had been given for Christmas and caught him on the way back down the street. What a great day!

So far today, 1 hour walking and 45 minutes hauling equipment in and out for toddler church this morning. Running total 38 hours

[ 29. January 2009, 16:42: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

I have spent hours moving office today... shifting furniture and files etc is hard work. I reckon I can claim 3 hours so far today.

Auntie Doris x

Another hour at the gym for me [Big Grin]

Lily, didn't you berate the snow-ploughman for preventing you clocking up another hour in the fitness race?

quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
Another hour at the gym for me [Big Grin]

Lily, didn't you berate the snow-ploughman for preventing you clocking up another hour in the fitness race?

No! After all the drama around the gym situation and smelly aftershave man I didn't need any more trouble.

Was great to have the chocolate to give him though!

1 hr 50 min

Tap, plus walk to/from, plus walk from/to Salisbury station, then from NM station home.

45 mibs of walking today.

Yesterday: 35 minutes cycling - commute plus diversion to supermarket. Also 15 minutes walking - to takeaway and back, healthy way to get hold of an unhealthy dinner.

Today: 30 minutes cycling - commute. I think my trip into work should count double because I set off from home at 6.15 am, which made it truly painful.

Hence, running total: 37 hours 50 minutes

Today, walking with Mrs B along towpath, past castle, 1 h 45 m after which Mrs B collapsed into a pile of Open University textbooks. I collapsed in front of computer.
Plus 15 m antipearshapitude.
Thus 2 hours today and a running total of
45 hours and 15 minutes.

50 minutes walking today, making 33 hours 20 minutes in total.

And another 45 minutes: 30 minutes yoga and 15 minutes weights.

To add to y general feeling of knackeredness tonight I have done a further 30 minutes of cleaning and 60 minutes of Pilates.

All this exercise can't be good for you!

Auntie Doris x

137 mins walking

Thursday (cont):
60 mins walking into town (bought shoes!) and home
30 mins dancing
Friday (so far):
10 mins walk to uni in weather that has got far more miserable since I arrived

Total for this post:

Running total:
1612 minutes or 26 hours and 52 minutes

Thursday: 2 hours 25 minutes, made up of 50 minutes of walking about on churchy business, 50 minutes cycling on the Road to Nowhere and 45 minutes of yoga.

Slightly cheating in that it includes tonight's commute, but I'll be off the PC over the wekend and, to be honest, probably spending most of Saturday on my backside.

The commute: 5 x 30mins
Unauthorised gadding into town: 4x15mins
Ringing, plus getting there and back via the pub 20+10+5mins

Added on to 27:45 I make that 31hrs 50mins but I await confirmation!

AG

Thurs 30th: 1 hour 10 mins walking to and from a meeting and then another 40 mins walking to and from church in the evening for a church meeting. Total for day 1 hour 50 mins

Running total 38 hours 5 mins I think.

1 hour 20 minutes cycling today during two trips into town.

Running total 35 hours 25 minutes.

1 hr 10 min

Walking to/from, and from/to, stations) plus longer walk.
So here we are eh? - last day tomorrow! I hope it's not raining.

Another swim (45 mins) and 60 mins. of table tennis. Do you allow indoor bowling as exercise - it might be considered quite gentle by some, so I'll leave it up to the compere to decide. If so, I went four times during January (1 hour 30 mins each session).

Running Total: 24 h 50 m. if my maths is right.

Thursday, Jan. 29th: 1 hr. at the gym with weight machines and cross-trainer

Total so far: 5 hrs 9 min.

One hour of utter torture at the gym today - my instructor reckoned I could move everything up a notch... I hope his first aid certificate's up to date!

I don't suppose I can count half an hour in a detox cabin, can I? Apparently that did me far more good than 20 minutes on the rowing machine... and it was certainly more pleasant. I managed a whole chapter of my book [Big Grin]

45 mins of walking today.

30 minutes cycling today, bringing running total to 38 hours 20 minutes.

Rachel.

about time for a long walk using canal and navigation towpaths, and seeing somewhere I hadn't been to before. Lovely sunny day - I'm told the fine weather won't last!
Anyway, there and back took me 5 hours, and more walking subsequently took another 30 minutes.
So total for today is 5 h 30 m and running total is now
50 hours and 45 minutes.

[ 30. January 2009, 20:37: Message edited by: blackbeard ]

Thu Jan 29: 45 minutes walking.

Fri Jan 30: 35 minutes Pilates; 35 minutes walking.

Running total: 17 hrs 10 mins

35 minutes cycling into town and back in the early morning - a great time of day once I manage to get myself out of bed.

Running total 36 hours.

2 hours exactly

I think it is unlikely I shall be out again today - very cold easterly wind! - but thought I'd finish in style by adding an extra loop to The Walk, and certainly there was an added level of difficulty battling the wind on the cliff top section!

I look forward with interest to the results.

Yesterday I did 61 mins walking plus 60 mins on the stepper.

So 121 mins

My final offering, 35 minutes cycling to town and back.

Running total 36 hours 35 minutes.

10 minutes out and back from the pub to the Opera on Friday, plus an additional 5 minutes climbing four flights of stairs up and down once I got there.

Today:

1 hour walking - into town and then from town centre to bike shop and back.
42 minutes circuits (light weights and core stability) and stretching.

Hence, running total: 40 hours and 2 minutes.

I may do some more walking later on. Can I post that tomorrow (if I do it) or do I have to get it online this evening?

All the best,

Rachel.

1 hour of walking today...
And that's it for the month! I wonder how far off 50 I am? Work has been manic so has put paid to any swimming I was going to do, to which I say humph!

30 minutes one-armed snow shovelling on a warm day

I was going to leave it a couple of days before finishing off to allow people to post on Monday when back online.

2¾ hours walk this afternoon Running total 41½ hours.

Should have been fairly exhausted today, after yesterday's effort, but rather gratifyingly wasn't.
Didn't do much today, however, apart from facilitating messing about in boats. As there was quite a blustery wind this got quite energetic at times, and included lying full length on a jetty grappling with unwilling bits of string wondering at which point I was going to topple into the water. Spent 3 or 4 hours doing this (no I didn't get wet) but only about 30 minutes was sufficiently energetic to count.
So, today 30 minutes, and
running and final total is
51 hours and 15 minutes.

1 hour walking yesterday, 10 minutes so far today. About to go to the cinema, catching the bus part of the way but then walking from my friend's house so will have more to add later...

Latest bits and pieces from me.
Mon 26th - called in sick and spent the day curled up in bed, so no time to add. Pity, I was hoping to go swimming [Frown]
Tue 27th - 30 minutes each way commute, total 1 hour
Wed 28th - 30 minutes each way commute, and I did 1 hr 15 min housework in the evening. I'm counting 20 minutes of it, for a total of 1 hour 20 min
Thu 29th - 30 minutes each way commute plus 35 min ringing/getting there/getting to pub, total 1 hr 35 min
Fri 30th - 30 minutes each way commute, then I didn't go ringing but visited the parents instead... Total of 1 hour
Sat 31st - 50 minutes cycling about to get stuff. Done quite a bit of cleaning/housework this afternoon, I reckon 1 hour of it counts, so that's 1 hour 50 min for today (unless I do some more before midnight!

Total for this post of 6 hours 45 minutes.

Curiosity killed..., I've re-checked my posts, and I still make my total to the end of 25th Jan to be 26 hours, not 25 hours 55 min. There is a less-than-obvious 5 minutes on Sat 24th (I almost missed them just now when I checked the maths!).

Assuming I've added everything up right, I make it 32 hours 45 minutes.

A big day walking today has meant that since Tuesday I have another 7 hrs 15 minutes to add. Makes a total of 20 hrs 25 minutes for January. Not great, but more than I might have done otherwise.

Celtic Knotweed, I've added the other 5 minutes in.

I'm adding another 30 minutes yoga.

20 minutes walking, making 25h10m altogether.

3 x 10 min sessions on the exercise bike at lowest resistance while my knee sorts itself out (advice of the physio)

Total to date: 7hrs 55min

106 mins walking and 45mins on the stepper. 151 mins total.

And a final 1 hour 10 minutes from my cinema trip, giving me a grand total (I think) of 35 hours 40 minutes.

Friday: 75 mins, all walking
Saturday: 50 mins, stepping and light weights session at home

Sat Jan 31: 40 minutes walking

Final total: 17 hrs 50 mins

Thank you Curiosity killed... for keeping track of us, and everyone for you inspiring posts, at every level of activity.

38 hours 5 mins

Friday 30th: another day of nothing, oh dear (but I did get my tax return done)

Saturday 21st: 1 hour walk/run (and the run parts are getting longer each time) plus 1 hour 15 mins walking.

So a total of 40 hours 20 mins I think. Not quite as good as my first Race time of 42 hours but better than my times in the subsequent ones.

My final efforts from yesterday (Jan 31):

15 minutes walking to and from the local shop
35 minutes walking to the cinema in the evening.

I think this makes my final total 40 hours 52 minutes

All the best,

Rachel.

3 1/2 hours walking in Manchester yesterday.

Auntie Doris x

Friday (cont):
Saturday:
120 mins out of 4 and a half hours traipsing around town and home carrying goodies

Total for this post:
130 minutes or 2 hours and 10 minutes

Total for the month (I think!):
1742 minutes or 29 hours and 2 minutes

Can't remember how I did in the other races but that's an average of 56-and-a-bit minutes a day for the whole month and 67 minutes a day for the days I was actually participating. One of these days I'll get to a fitness race thread before the month in question starts.

As predicted I did diddley-squat on Saturday, so my final total is unaltered. I now have to deal with a smug Knotweed who has done more than me - you try that when the cricket season starts, sunshine!

Anyway, I started February by walking round an old airfield... beat that!

AG

I'm not sure if anyone else is going to add times. The results as they stand now are:

1. PaulM 51h 42m average of 100m/day or 1h 40m
  2. blackbeard 51h 15m average of 99 minutes exercising per day or 1h 39 mins; compared with 41h35m in Jan08 and 30h 50m in Jul 08;
  3. Freelance Monotheist 46h 15m 90m/day compared with 52h0m in Nov07, 53h0m in Jan08, 47h30m in Jul08;
  4. Susan Doris 45h 55m average of 89 min/day; compared to 54h 25m in Jul08;
  5. Curiosity Killed ... 42h 81m/day compared with 49h40m in Nov07, 36h30m in Jan08 and 29h 0m in Jul08;
  6. the famous rachel 40h 52m average of 79m/day;
  7. Yangtze 40h 20m 78 min/day; compared with 42h 25m in Nov07, 27h55m in Jan08 and 28h25m in Jul08;
  8. Wiff Waff 36h 35m average of 71 minutes per day
  9. Stevie Boy Wonder 35h 40m average of 69 minutes per day;
  10. Ultracrepidarian 34h 45m average of 67m/day; compared with 46h45m in Jan08 and 57h20m in Jul08;
  11. Auntie Doris 34h 40m, av 67min a day, compared with 16h 35m in Nov07, 20h40m in Jan08, 25h 20m in Jul08;
  12. Celtic Knotweed 32h 45m av 63m/day, compared with 23h 42m in Nov07 and 42h 0m in Jul08;
  13. Sandemaniac 31h 50m 62m/day, compared with 62h 10m in Jul08;
  14. Smudgie 29h 45m average 58 min/day, compared with 16h05m in Jan08, 5h30m in Jul08;
  15. lily pad 29h 25m 57m/day
  16. To The Pain 29h 2m average 56m/day compared with 27h35m in Nov07 and 32h40m in Jul08
  17. Joan of Quark 25h 11m av 49 mins
  18. Chorister 25h 10m av 49m, compared with 10h45m in Nov07, 14h in Jan08;
  19. Cottontail 20h 25m 40 min/day;
  20. Scots lass 19h 50m 38 min/day
  21. Autenrieth Road 17h 50m, av 35min/day, compared with 30h10m in Jan08, 4h 05m in Jul08;
  22. pimple 17h 40m av of 34 mins/day
  23. NorthEast Quine 14h 40m av of 28mins/day;
  24. Surfing Madness 14h 25m
  25. Meg the Red 11h 25m compared with 24h30m in Jan08, but Meg stopped posting part way through.
  26. philip99a 7h 50m
  27. Geneviève 5h 9m
  28. Angus McDangley 5h compared with 2h40m in Jan08, 8h40m in Jul08;
  29. chickle girl 5h
  30. Sir Kevin 4h 45m compared with 5h30m in Jan08 and 6h35m in Jul08;
  31. daisydaisy 4h 30m
  32. comet 3h 25m compared with 34h10m in Jan08 and 58h45m in Jul08;
  33. Nunzia 50m
  34. Bacchus - nothing posted
  35. Boogie - nothing posted
  36. Huia - nothing posted
  37. rosamundi - nothing posted
  38. Spike - nothing posted
  39. the pilgrim - not posted

That's a total of 817h 31m posted, averaging out at 26h 22m per day between the 40 shipmates taking part.

And the race is over (unless anyone else still hasn't posted).....thanks CK for all your hard work in keeping score.

I'm pleased to be back in the top ten - hurrah. But looking down the list there's some people who have smashed their previous times by miles - Smudgie and Auntie Doris I'm looking at you, and Chorister as well. Woo hoo.

Thanks CK for all your work and congrats to everyone.

And my thanks, too, to CK. The race was the perfect antidote to a bout of intense laziness occasioned by SPOD (Seasonal Pissed Off Disorder).

Went for a lovely long walk in the snow today.
Comet may be amused to learn that soft and sunny South-East England has been brought to a halt by temperatures around 0 degrees (Centigrade, or for the fussy, celsius) and six inches of snow.

Thanks CK!
Definitely the kick in the rear I needed to start exercising again!
Next time I will be first-I think I've been 2nd or 3rd in every race so far!

Curiosity Killed

The Race was great. thank you very much for all the work you have done recording times; it was good to see previous times too.
Reading the posts about all the different activities has also been very interesting.
The Race certainly provides that bit of extra motivation to step out for an extra walk.

sorry not been near the internet sooner. My times for the last few days. 28th - 35 mins swimming, 29th - 40 mins walking, 30th - 30mins dance etc on the Wii (this made me ache the most of anything i did the whole month!!) 31st - 65 min walking. giving me a total for the last few days of 2 hours 50, added to my total so far (14 hours 25 min) gives me a total of 17 hours 15 min. [Yipee]

That changes you up one place, Surfing Madness.

Thanks CK!

Looking at your final list, I am strangely surprised just how much difference an extra few minutes each day makes over the course of a month. I know that should be obvious, but this has really highlighted for me the benefits of those little bits of exercise - like getting off the bus one stop early - which I might not naturally bother with. (Actually, I rarely get the bus... but hopefully you know what I mean!).

Rachel.

Woo-hoo! I wasn't bottom, despite a crocked knee!

Great fun, and thanks CKilled.

Lovely 30 min walk in the dark in the snow (but warm) this evening to see a friend then half hour back. Saw a bunch of (in fact seven) students building a giant snowman at 11pm in the local park! It was about 8ft high and still being built. Looked a bit like the Venus of Willendorf!

10mins on the exercise bike (minimum resistance) before bed now. So this thread has done good, made me think that small amounts of exercise each day are normal, easy and way better in terms of getting and staying fit than going to the gym once or twice a week.

Are we going into this, the next month? Wait until I get my bicycle next weekend. I have to stay in one place at work, but I walked less than ten minutes back and forth to my garage. I even had a rent-a-cop fetch me a Pepsi because I was a convention vehicle dispatcher and could not leave the area.

I didn't think we were continuing this. I was hoping it could be left open for a few days to allow for people who couldn't get to a computer over the weekend to post any additional times, as Surfing Madness has. When we set this up both last year and this it was intended as a fun and competitive way of boosting our exercise levels and encouraging us to get up and going, not a permanent prop.

The revised listing, with Surfing Madness's final times are:

1. PaulM 51h 42m average of 100m/day or 1h 40m
  2. blackbeard 51h 15m average of 99 minutes exercising per day or 1h 39 mins; compared with 41h35m in Jan08 and 30h 50m in Jul 08;
  3. Freelance Monotheist 46h 15m 90m/day compared with 52h0m in Nov07, 53h0m in Jan08, 47h30m in Jul08;
  4. Susan Doris 45h 55m average of 89 min/day; compared to 54h 25m in Jul08;
  5. Curiosity Killed ... 42h 81m/day compared with 49h40m in Nov07, 36h30m in Jan08 and 29h 0m in Jul08;
  6. the famous rachel 40h 52m average of 79m/day;
  7. Yangtze 40h 20m 78 min/day; compared with 42h 25m in Nov07, 27h55m in Jan08 and 28h25m in Jul08;
  8. Wiff Waff 36h 35m average of 71 minutes per day
  9. Stevie Boy Wonder 35h 40m average of 69 minutes per day;
  10. Ultracrepidarian 34h 45m average of 67m/day; compared with 46h45m in Jan08 and 57h20m in Jul08;
  11. Auntie Doris 34h 40m, av 67min a day, compared with 16h 35m in Nov07, 20h40m in Jan08, 25h 20m in Jul08;
  12. Celtic Knotweed 32h 45m av 63m/day, compared with 23h 42m in Nov07 and 42h 0m in Jul08;
  13. Sandemaniac 31h 50m 62m/day, compared with 62h 10m in Jul08;
  14. Smudgie 29h 45m average 58 min/day, compared with 16h05m in Jan08, 5h30m in Jul08;
  15. lily pad 29h 25m 57m/day
  16. To The Pain 29h 2m average 56m/day compared with 27h35m in Nov07 and 32h40m in Jul08
  17. Joan of Quark 25h 11m av 49 mins
  18. Chorister 25h 10m av 49m, compared with 10h45m in Nov07, 14h in Jan08;
  19. Cottontail 20h 25m 40 min/day;
  20. Scots lass 19h 50m 38 min/day
  21. Autenrieth Road 17h 50m, av 35min/day, compared with 30h10m in Jan08, 4h 05m in Jul08;
  22. pimple 17h 40m av of 34 mins/day
  23. Surfing Madness 17h 20m average of 34 mins/day
  24. NorthEast Quine 14h 40m av of 28mins/day;
  25. Meg the Red 11h 25m compared with 24h30m in Jan08, but Meg stopped posting part way through.
  26. philip99a 7h 50m
  27. Geneviève 5h 9m
  28. Angus McDangley 5h compared with 2h40m in Jan08, 8h40m in Jul08;
  29. chickle girl 5h
  30. Sir Kevin 4h 45m compared with 5h30m in Jan08 and 6h35m in Jul08;
  31. daisydaisy 4h 30m
  32. comet 3h 25m compared with 34h10m in Jan08 and 58h45m in Jul08;
  33. Nunzia 50m
  34. Bacchus - nothing posted
  35. Boogie - nothing posted
  36. Huia - nothing posted
  37. rosamundi - nothing posted
  38. Spike - nothing posted
  39. the pilgrim - not posted

That's a total of 820h 26m posted, averaging out at 26h 27m per day between the 42 shipmates who signed up at the beginning - actually only 33 were active.

I would agree with Yangtze, that it's very impressive how many people are improving their times, and getting regular exercise with this boost. I got back into regular yoga with the accountability, which was good - now watch me drift again!

There is a fitness thread in All Saints for people who want longer term support for exericising

Thanks CK, you're a star! [Overused]

Sir Kevin, I think it was agreed with the hosts after the first or second race that twice a year was quite enough for this kind of thread - so I think you'll have to wait for July to impress us all with your cycling times!

Personally I'm pretty chuffed to be in the top half of the table. Getting a few more minutes out of my dancing nights would be nice but I've been trying to take the load off the other class teachers while we've been in exam time. Coming in between my scores for the other two races means I'm not being lazy, at least! July could be interesting for me this year as I'll be spending the last week in the Netherlands performing at a folk festival - could be all kinds of crazy dancing going on.

Well I for one intend to keep walking (it's certainly very pretty in the snow). But unfortunately, the January race has come to an end. As CK says, further posts may be made on the thread in All Saints. Watch out for a further race in the summer when the weather - for some of us at least - should be more clement.

Thanks to CK for all your hard work in organising this season's race. [Cool]

© Ship of Fools 2016